Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Rear Bumper Rust

ftrspeedyftrspeedy Member Posts: 7
any one else having a rust issue on the rear bumper right side by the tailpipe? i have had my rear bumper replaced once and 2 weeks later it was rusting again. now they won't replace it till spring cause they say its from the salt brine on the roads when i say its something from the exhaust since it only happens on the right side. seems funny huh since we all know salt only gets on the right side of the vehicle...

Comments

• dantana1dantana1 Member Posts: 1
    Yea, I got rust on my 2008 Silverado bumper by the tail pipe. I've had the truck a couple months. I'm taking it in tomorrow for oil change, etc. and I'm going to see what they say about it. Hopefully they won't tell me I need to start using super premium gas. Maybe it's the guarunteed QT gas I use. We'll see.
  • danvossendanvossen Member Posts: 3
    Hey, me too. I have an 07 Silverado bought in June of 07 and now I have small "blisters" of rust on the side of my right rear bumper. I have not reported this to my dealer yet. I will the next time I go in for an oil change. Unfortunatly, that side of the bumper looks like it has been hit by something and slightly pushed up on an angle. I noticed this aftter I saw the rust and think this may have occured in a parking lot although there is no sign of any mark on the bumper. I hope the dealer doesn't claim that the rust was caused by this damage.

I'll let you know how I make out.
  • csm08csm08 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Silverado Z71. Bought it in March 07. Love the truck. I have rust spots forming on the left rear bumper, drivers side not tail pipe side. Forming on the corner. Noticed it a couple weeks ago while washing it. I take good care of my truck and need to go see the dealer. I doubt this is an exaust issue. Sounds more like poor croming. I've been through one winter and kept the salt from the Mineesota roads off as much as possible. I won't except anything less than a new bumper. I too will keep you posted.
  • jon69jon69 Member Posts: 2
    If they're anything like my 2000 that rotted off 3 years ago, good luck at the dealer- plan on buying aftermarket. The dealer will be quick to SELL you one not telling you that it is an aftermarket. Get use to it. Sorry!
  • csm08csm08 Member Posts: 2
    Stopped at the dealership yesterday, no issues. They are ordering parts. Seems common as he knew what I was talking about and mentioned acid gases from the exaust. I have rust starting on both sides. Bumper is actually several pieces and he said it's a 4-6 hour job to replace the crome ends, nice design. I'm still under the 3 year or 36K mile warranty, lucky I guess.
  • andre2643andre2643 Member Posts: 1
    ive not to date had chevy fix anything with my 2008 silverado. after 10 or so trips to the many dealerships and excuses now im over my 3-36000 warranty. truck runs great but after a battery which i went 3 times to address a problem, having to eat $171.00, front cowl noise that still isn't fixed, door air noise, a cheep pos rear bumper, excuse after excuse on everything i will never give chevy another penny of my money. o did i mention a front end alignment, less then the 20mpg listed, yea im not impressed with the bs chevy has given me. like i said it runs great but for the $$$$$$$$$$ i paid a new car should be able to be enjoyed not get bye with. anyone now where to get a nice rear bumper reasonable?
  • pitt1991pitt1991 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2009 Silverado Crew Cab with chrome bumpers. Replaced front bumper impact bar at 816 miles now the back bumper is rusting. I have two friends that both have 2009 Silverado LT extended cabs three out of those four bumpers have been replaced within the first 5000 miles. Built like a rock. I DON'T THINK SO
  • nomoregm5nomoregm5 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Crew Cab and both of the rear chrome bumpers have rusted through and need to be replaced. I thought maybe GM had improved, now I know why they went bankrupt. I'm done with GM
  • chevytincanchevytincan Member Posts: 1
    I too am pretty discusted with not only the quality but the price of repair of the rear bumper . I use my truck for plowing and work besids th rust The bumper as well as the body f truck os very tinny . I think my can f heineken is made from a stronger metal , I literally backed into a small snow bank while plowing and nt only destroyed bumper but when the pos bumper gave o crushed both quarter panels Imgetting the body work repaired this week but i will not spend 700 for a piece of [non-permissible content removed] bumper. Ive been looking for a heavy duty steel bumper with no luck If anyone knows of such a product Otherwise Im gonna buy a heavy steel step bumper from bone yard and have brackets retrofitted . In general ts a g00d truck but the recycled metal on the body is a sin . I dont know how they call my truck a 2500 hd thats a line of bs any help greatly appreciated Tahnks Rich [email protected]
  • quick1213quick1213 Member Posts: 1
    where can I find rear bumper pads on-line for my 2003 2500 HD ? the dealer wants to much for one.I only need the center one. Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You could try ebay or gmpartsdirect.com
  • crusin57crusin57 Member Posts: 20
    I have a small area starting to rust on my 06 around the licence plate lights. I'm not sure on how to prevent or slow down the problem. The problem today is everything is so cheaply built, everything is rush,rush. Any kind of quality seems long lost,

It's hard to believe that chevy trucks built 30 years ago are still around, my last truck was a 96 GMC, 4.3 Vortec, auto, had 300k on it and ran like a clock.

Back to the rust issue, i'm gonna try a Krown rust treatment, and see if that stops any more rust from appearing, with winter now only a few months away i have to try something.
  • kenskkensk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Silverado with 5500km on it. Barely 3 months old.

I have rust on the bumper already and the bowtie logo on the tailgate has rust forming. I have noticed other 2010 and 2011's with the same problem. Garbage.
  • dad1961dad1961 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2010 Silverado 1500 LT extended cab to the dealer yesterday with the same issues. The service manager wanted to just buff the bumper and replace the bowtie. Long story short, they ordered both bumper cap and the bowtie. seems the bowties are backordered because so many are junk. Good lick.
  • dad1961dad1961 Member Posts: 2
    I mean luck.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Amazing this problem is still around. My 03 Sierra rear bumper literally started rusting the first month of ownership, similar to the above descriptions. First comment was, improper care. I said," do you guys prep your bumpers before a sale?".."well of course".."then you need some training, because your prepped this one 2 weeks ago!". Anyhow, they had to fight with GM for one year to get that rear bumper replaced. While picking it up, they admitted a bumper defect and my front bumper was also off being undercoated. Fast forward 7 years later. That replacement rear bumper still looks great. That front bumper is falling apart. Rusted from the back. So apparently GM still has this manufacturing defect, and a solution, but they can't seem to differentiate between the two. I get lot's of questions about those 2 bumpers from prospective truck buyers, it's like night and day and quite an experiment.
  • coach2413coach2413 Member Posts: 30
    wow. they know about this from that long ago? I had my 2010 right side bumper replaced just 4 months after getting the truck. Dealer said it was chines steel and chrome plating. I told them to send to local plater who does custom plating but no I had to get a new chinese replacement
    My dealer has already replaced my right rear bumper cover and the Logo. They are covered by warranty. suggest you get to dealer quick beofre GM changes the status.
  • tred420tred420 Member Posts: 2
    We have had the same issues on our 2009 silverado. GM's customer service was unwilling to work with us :-( so we sent a letter in hopes that they will admit that the parts are junk!!!.

Letter:

ATTN: Daniel Akerson
    CASE # 71-xxxxxxxxxxx
    Code name “Rust Bucket”

Dear Dan,

I am writing to you in regards to a 2009 Chevy 1500 EXT LT that our family bought in the fall of 2009. In February of 2010 we noticed excessive rusting on the front and back bumpers and bowtie. When we took it to the dealer ship they told us to bring it back in the spring and they would replace the parts under warranty. So we came back in the spring and the dealership replaced the parts. Problem solved, right? Not so fast. Let us now fast-forward to December of 2010. We noticed excessive rusting on the front and back bumpers and bowtie. When we took it to the dealer ship they told us to bring it back in the spring and they would replace the parts under warranty “Déjà vu”. So we have now have had the front and back bumpers replaced twice and the bowties replaced twice do to rusting in less then two years. I called your customer service department to see If GM would warranty the parts that they have had to continually replaced. And to my surprise they unfortunately are unable to help me.

This leads me to ask you this question. (Under normal conditions) “Do you think that it is a reasonable expectation that a $30,000 + GM vehicle could last more then a couple of months in the environment with out the bumpers and bowtie rusting out?” I have reviewed the forums online and have spoke with the employees in the dealership and this rusting issue is a known problem. One employee’s even told me they have been replacing the bumpers of the cars on the lots because they rust out before they even get them sold.

What I would like from GM is a warranty on these parts for the next 3/yr or 36,000 miles. And I would appreciate it if it came from you. I would also like to hear what actions will be taken by GM to make sure that the issues with these parts are corrected. Please feel free to contact me at 585-xxx-xxxx

Regards,

Timothy
    Excellent work. Let us know how they react to your letter.

Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    tred420,
    Please feel free to email me directly with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • deborah07deborah07 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have a rust issue on the rear bumper right side by the tailpipe. Contacted dealership who told me to contact GM who told me to contact dealership. Dealership doesn't think it is a defect. They say it isn't the exhaust because the rubber bumper is not melted. I never thought of the salt issue...I will mention that. GM told me of the hundreds of thousands of trucks they have sold they haven't had one complaint of this nature. I told them I knew of several same complaints posted on the internet. I am waiting to hear back from GM. Hope you got some good results. I will post mine when I hear from GM...(haven't got my hopes up).
    My dealer told me it was simply bad steel and plating from China. They replaced with no questions asked. Apparently it is very common for bumpers to have rust pitting as the plating is very very low grade.
    They never had one complaint? Either they are not telling the truth or they have a poor database. My 03 started rusting the 1st month I owned it and had to fight with GM for one year to replace it. Then the dealer undercoats the front bumper as they did know they had an issue but seemed to keep it quiet (that was year one!). That front bumper rusted through with holes a few years later, but the replacement rear bumper looks great. Kind of hard to argue environment or owner care, when the 2 bumpers were on the same truck. Sounds like the quality control problem may not yet be resoled. Maybe GM customer can share what their corrective and preventive action is for this defect?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    deborah07,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please send me your case number? I would like to look into your case. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • silverado_deesilverado_dee Member Posts: 1
    What a joke...
    My '03 Silverado is losing it's rear bumper and gas door.
    All rotting from the inside out, as stated by the Chevy dealer service manager just this morning.
    However, my 'corrosion' warranty ran out 2 yrs ago and I guess since I didn't put my hand through the chrome back then, I would have never known that there was no undercoating or protection since the day I bought it new!

Just got off the phone with GM and they refuse, REFUSE, TO DO ANYTHING at all. NOT even a break on a new bumper????

So here I have an 8 yr old "LIKE A ROCK" jk.. Chevy with 51,000 miles, falling apart.
    YET I also have a '98 Monte Carlo, with 97,000 miles on it and NOT ONE spec of rust, anywhere! Imagine that !!!

I think there is a manufacturing defect in the metal processing, since I see so many other posts with the same thing, even newer vehicles.

My next step?
    I will make all the necessary contacts that I have to, in order to get something done about it.

I am having signs printed up to place on the truck to let people know how shoddy they are being build anymore.
    I made that statement to the GM rep and she couldn't care less.

Oh, here's the kicker: They also stated that I should have taken it to the dealership when I noticed it.
    DUH... I don't normally look in on the backside of my bumpers, do you?
    It just broke thru, like tin foil, 2 weeks ago!!

I am NOT a happy camper, I will do whatever is necessary to get this resolved. There is no excuse for it, none what so ever..

PS- I DO NOT live near salt water!
  • tred420tred420 Member Posts: 2
    Just to give everyone an update. After about a month of going back and forth with GM they refused to give us a warranty on the "chrome" parts and bow tie. All they would do is offer us oil change vouchers worth about 80 bucks for our troubles. So I refused and made a claim with the BBB. I received a call from GM about 2 days later and was told that they would look into the case and get back with me. A couple of days later they called me up and offered an additional 5yr 50,000 mile warranty on the front/rear bumper, front grill, and the bow ties. So it seems that making a claim with the BBB is the best course of action to take.
  • craig83craig83 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado and the rear bumper started rusting out in 2009. I called the dealership in February of 2010 and asked about the warranty on the bumper. I was told that the factory warranty was only good for 3 years and that the 3 years started from the day the truck came off the assembly line which was in 2006 meaing that my bumper was no longer under warranty.....is this true? My rear bumper is painted not chrome plated and it is going to cost me approx. $400.00 for just the bumper alone not including labor. This should not be happening on a 4 year old truck!!!
  • ttaupier1ttaupier1 Member Posts: 50
    Hi Craig-83

you may want to look to LMC for repair OEM bumpers.....they are listed here

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=25

chrome is $299.00

( 2003 sierra, slt, 5.3L, extcab) I like you.. I have had seen first hand, real issues with all my bumpers/brackets from day one and even had the TSB - bumper clean and coat performed by the dealer after the three years of ownership ...rust was notice by myself and the dealer on various prior service appointments.. they never gave me a hassle about the issue..

sounds like the dealer is not a team player...mine was very understanding .. and know the quality at which I maintain my vehicle, and the dealer ... is very aware .. of the bumper rust issue.. there is a TSB where they are supposed to take the bumper off, sand or clean it, then coat it with anti rust coating.. not sure why they are not offering that ...

personally I have written off GM .. I love my truck and wont sell it yet..but wont buy another one for sure. I am looking..lol ... I just wish BMW made a pickup .. that i would buy.
  • manitouchuckmanitouchuck Member Posts: 1
    It is a design flaw by GM.
    The position of the exhaust pipe right under the chrome bumper. Condensation forms on the chrome in the winter and it starts to spot rust. Rub it out every 3 months or it will be toast. Mine is a 2008 driven in MN in the winter, this prob started right away.
    I think it is more that the exhaust pipe location. My 03, which I posted about above, had it's rear bumper rusting on the FIRST month of ownership. Rust spots were near the license plate ( center) and the left side as well. After one year of going back and forth with GM they replaced the rear bumper and while I was there, they decided to remove and coat the back of my front bumper ( obviously, problem was known in 2004!). That front bumper has many holes in it today. The rear bumper looks great! They either have a process with poor quality control or multiple vendors, as some survive and some don't CANNOT believe they are still chasing this many years later and not being straight with customers.
  • gmbailoutgmbailout Member Posts: 3
    I came out da utter day and realized my bumper was pushed in on pass side. damn,it hit the body and put a dent,but no mark on the bumper whatsoever? looked underneath to see a slotted bracket or mount to hopefully loosen/pull back and I see nothing, just thin bumper-I mean THIN. I reached down with my bad arm and pulled/bent the bumper back into place with little effort,way too easy.I think about the 4 dents on the sides from parking lots on a brand new truck that I park at the end of the lot which I owned for 5 months,and my 97 I been driving for 10 years that I wil park anywhere without care has 1 dent from another car door, the fenders and bumpers have to be twice as thick on my 97 ,no way the 2011 will hold up as well to the elements.I seen 2 driving around with the bumper facing directly down from accidents I think,if someone hits me at 10n mph the bed of my truck will need bodywork/paint without a doubt- its never the same then.I feel gm robbed us,and sold the exsisting models to customers whom opinions based on the toughness of the old ones,the only thing like a rock now is,you learn the hard way being a loyal customer
    It's a shame isn't it? It seems that the GM engineers no longer understand that HD was to mean Heavy Duty. GM undercoated my rusting bumper under warranty (they replaced the other, as the chrome was shot in less than a year). Well the undercoated bumper disintegrated. When I replaced it, I just pulled off the plastic lower spoiler, as it was not attached to metal any longer. That bumper would have been utterly useless in an accident. That was 8 years, but I have never seen a bumper rust that bad and so quick. I doubt it would have offered much protection between years 3-8 either. Now that I think about, GM doesn't know the definition of 'bumper' either.