Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Bravada

Comments

• Has anyone experienced their Bravada key getting stuck in the ignition once the car is turned off. The brake, abs and check engine light all come on while it is driving and once the car is shut off, the key will not come out. We have had the ignition switch and battery replaced, but it still happens. Also, I noted recently that it is really sluggish at accelerating when the lights come on before I shut it off. If I pull the starter fuse out, the key will release, but diagnostic do not show a problem? Maybe it is a ghost!!! :confuse:
  • This Post was extremely helpful to me. I own a 2002 Olds Bravada and experienced the problems described in this, and other posts on this site. It would feel as though it was stuck in 4 wheel drive in a parking lot when I would attempt to turn the wheels at low speeds. I would feel the "shuddering" and "crop hop" as described. It started doing this shortly after I bought it a few years ago and slowly got worse and more frequent.

I decided to give it a try and change the transfer case fluid, especially since it was cheap ($6.50/quart - 2 quart capacity) and easy to do. The fluid that I drained out was greenish in color. I assume it was the factory fluid and had never been changed. The NEW fluid (GM Auto Trac II transfer case fluid p/n 12378508) was definitely a bluish color. It was as easy as changing the engine oil, but not quite as easy to refill. The fill plug is located high up, and getting a full quart up in there is all but impossible. I used a cheap fluid transfer hand pump that I had purchased a while ago, and never had much use for until now.

I noticed instant results. No more chattering, shuddering, crow hop, or whatever else you want to call it. I have tried to get it to happen again, cutting the wheels hard in a parking lot when pulling into or out of a parking spot. Nothing.

I purchased another 2 quarts of fluid with the intentions of changing it again, but it has been working well. I may just leave it. One thing I was a little confused about was the part of the GM bulletin that reads "The Bravada full time 4wd does NOT have the motor or encoder." I saw what looks like an encoder on my transfer case, and my Bravada is full time/non-selectable 4wd. I don't know what else it could be. If anyone else has information on this, please pass it on. At any rate, nothing needed done but the changing of the fluid.

I just wanted to say that this site, and especially the posts on this particular problem have helped me immensely. I was starting to get really frustrated with this problem, and from the way the Bravada was acting, thought for sure it was going to be a big dollar fix. What a pleasant surprise to be able to fix it so quick, cheap, and most of all, by myself! Thanks again.
  • Has anyone experienced the AWD not properly engaging. In heavy snow or on ice (I'm a michigander) the front wheels appear to be attempting to engage, but the hubs just slip and a very audible CLICK is made. My local shop had it in today but couldn't tell me what was wrong and has referred me to the dealer. Fluid is full and I have had no strange noise or anything else that would have lead to believe I had a problem developing.

Thanks
  • Thanks again guys. I may have crack in my transmission but now there is oil of some type(not enough to really tell) along the front axle or cv shaft. I have yet to check the tranny fluid for water. I also can't say if the check engine light correlated with the new leak. I'm actually having a friend take it in have the codes pulled to see what pops up and have transfer case fluid changed. If anyone has any input feel free My POOR :cry: Bravada needs it more than me!
  • I JUST GOT A 2002 BRAVADA WITH 64,000 MILES ON IT,I NEED HELP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BEAST. ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MOTOR WAS COVERED WITH OIL THATS BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME, WHEN I TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY CAN NOT FIND THE OIL LEAK. THE SERP BELT IS SOAKED WITH OIL AND THE ALTERNATER HAS OIL ON THE SIDE OF IT. IF ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN DO ABOUT IT. ITS FUNNY THAT THEY CAN'T FIND THE LEAK AFTER CLEANING THE BOTTOM OF MOTOR. AND THEY SAY ITS FINE TO DRIVE IT JUST KEEP OIL IN THE CAR. HELP ME :cry:
  • I had a similar experience only it was with my wife's Dodge Van. The dealership overfilled the oil big time. Instead of 5 quarts, they had 9 quarts in it. I quickly drained it myself and put in the proper level. The Bravadas take 7 quarts and I'm guessing you are probably properly filled. Based on what your describe, I wonder if the oil filter is not tightened properly or if the gasket from a previous filter is stuck on there so you are aren't getting a good seal? If this has just started, maybe get another oil change at a different place? :confuse:
  • Hi I hope you will be able to send me in the right direction. I have a 1998 Oldmobile Bravada and am having some issues with it. My AWD light is on and I have no idea what step to take from here. My husband is a mechanic and we will be able to do the work ourselves we just need some guidance as to where to start off. if anyone can set us up in the right direction I would appereciate it. Thanks Alyson Tremer, NJ
  • I recentley had the same problem and I needed new tires all around I hope this is a nice easy fix for you, mine would vibrate so badly when I reached certain speeds it worried me. A balance might also be in order. Hope this helps.
  • we had the same problem ,in our 2002 bravada we took it to a dealer is your best bet, and have them do a diagonsis on it and will tell you want is wrong. i hope this help
    :)
  • Hello All... I just purchased a 2002 Bravada fully loaded a couple of months ago and love it :) ... I have 2 questions and I cant figure them out and hopefully someone has the answers because I looked through the whole manual and couldn't find anything... anyways, I have heated leather seats and now the driver's side quit working but the passenger's side is fine... i was wondering if there is a separate fuse that might need changed... also is there an option to set your dome light to come on when you take the key out because the only way I can get it to come on is by manually turning it on or pushing the unlock doors on the key pad... any suggestions????? :confuse:
  • Hello All... I am having problems with my rear window wiper getting caught between the window and hatchback... I replace the wiper with a thicker blade and it is still happening... I'm afraid of breaking the wiper off or burning up the motor so for temporary I moved the wiper up so it lays on the rear window and I can't open the window... any suggestions??? :confuse:
  • there are two fuse boxes ,one is under the hood and one is under the back seat on drivers side it is a black box,and for the dome light you need to change your control setting on the steering wheel lower right hand it has a arrow shape on it hope this helps.
  • I knew about other fuse box located behind the driver's side but I cant find anything listed about fuses for the heated seats but there are abbreviations that I don't know what they mean... :confuse: with the dome light I figured it out... my dome lamp override option was set to remain off so I changed the setting... thanks for the input... Have a nice day!!! :)
  • We had this problem with our 99 Bravada. The dealer replaced the entire turn signal assembly, it cost about $1000 if I remember correctly. I had replaced the flasher with no success.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    Hope this info helps. Included a link to more info at bottom

HEATED SEATS SYSTEM COMPONENTS
    The heated seats system for the driver and passenger seat consists of the following components:

Driver and passenger door modules
    Driver and passenger heated seat switches
    Driver and passenger seat back heater elements
    Driver and passenger seat back heat sensors
    Driver and passenger seat cushion heater elements
    Memory seat module
    Passenger seat module
    HEATED SEATS SYSTEM OPERATION
    The driver and passenger heated seats have 2 heat zone operating modes with 3 heat level modes and will operate only while the engine is running. The heat zones are determined by which of the 2 heated seat buttons are pressed, while the heat level is determined by the number of times they are pressed. Pressing the seat cushion button 1 time will activate the seat back and cushion heater elements in the high mode. Each time the seat cushion button is pressed the seat back and cushion heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. Pressing the heated seat back button 1 time will activate only the seat back heater element in the high mode. Each time the seat back button is pressed the seat back heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. During heated seat operation the heat zone operating mode may be changed without affecting the current heat level mode.

The heated seat switches are momentary contact switches and are inputs to the driver and passenger door modules. Battery voltage is supplied to the switch assembly from the door module, and when a heated seat switch is pressed and released a brief switch signal voltage is supplied to the door module. Whenever the door module receives an active heated seat switch input, the next heated seat operating mode is determined by whatever the current mode may be. The seat heater elements are controlled by the driver memory and passenger seat modules using inputs from the door modules through Class 2 serial data circuit messages. When activating any of the heated seat operating modes, the seat module switches battery voltage to the heater element supply circuits. All of the seat heater elements are grounded by the seat modules through individual low reference circuits. The heater element low reference circuits are pulse width modulated control circuits and are used by the seat modules to control the seat heat zones and temperatures by regulating the current flow through the heater elements. The seat modules rely on inputs from thermistors installed in the driver and passenger seat backs to control heated seat temperatures. The thermistors are 2 wire sensors supplied with a 5-volt referenced signal circuit and a low reference circuit from the memory seat module. Resistance through the thermistors varies with temperature causing the heated seat sensor signal circuit voltage levels to increase as the seat back temperatures rise. The seat modules allow heated seat operation only while the engine is running which is determined by a Class 2 serial data circuit message from the powertrain control module.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4643734#post4643734
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    Hi, Some codes can be set for the Transfer Case control module. you will need to have the codes read first to see if there are any.
    Automatic 4WD

A scan tool must be used to retrieve DTCs from the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) memory. The use of a Tech 1 scan tool or equivalent will be needed to obtain both current and history DTCs.

C0300 Rear Speed Sensor Malfunction

C0305 Front Speed Sensor Malfunction

C0308 Motor A/B Circuit Low

C0309 Motor A/B Circuit High

C0310 Motor A/B Circuit Open

C0315 Motor Ground Circuit Open

C0374 General System Malfunction

C0376 Front/Rear Shaft Speed Mismatch

C0550 ECU Malfunction

C0611 VIN Information Error

C0895 Device Voltage Malfunction

good luck
  • leslee76leslee76 Posts: 4
    Hello All... I have an update on the heated seat problem... I still haven't figured out what's going on with the heated seat and now I noticed that none of the adjustments for the driver seat is working either. :cry: I checked under the seats to make sure everything was connected properly and everything looks good. the passenger side is still fully functional. I also checked the fuse box under the back seat and all is good there... If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. :confuse: I would hate to waste extra money if I am able to fix myself... Have a wonderful day!!! :)
  • mjgorgemjgorge Posts: 2
    Yes, I have a 1999 Bravada. This morning when I put the key in to start it, I turned the key and nothing happened. The key was stuck and couldn't get it out. I do know there is a small hole on the steering column that you can insert a ball point pen it releases the key. But all the lights on the dash where blinking and on the right side of the dashboard there was a clicking sound. Could this be a short in wiring or bad fuse? Anyone have any suggestions?
    HELP
    :confuse:
  • 33mac33mac Posts: 2
    Hello
    I just bought my wife a 1998 olds bravada.beautifull rig.went on a trip, and now the icon on the dash(little red man sitting with seatbelt and circle in his lap)comes on some times ,and goes out,some times for minute. sometimes stays on all day. is this the service air bag warning,is there a way to reset it, will the air bag go off,
    any info
    Thanks
    MAC
  • repairdogrepairdog Posts: 948
    You can pull the fuse and clear it but to determine the reson requires a scanner that reads body codes - ie the dealer and it can be one of the sensors up front or a connection problem so get it checked out.