Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Bravada

Comments

• alcaalca Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Al and I am looking at a 98 Bravada with 134K miles for my son. The car appears to be in good conditions but I am concerned with being able to get parts when the need arises. I have read Olds are being phased out and have checked GMC web site and did not find very inspiring regarding how they are taking care of the owners for parts and service. I am in Houston-Texas and I am not familiar with this particular car. Is there anyone out there that can help me or comment on this regard.. Also if you happen to have an average miles/gallon, that would help in the decision making process.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Al
  • douglas281douglas281 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Bravada. I have 127000 miles on it and since about 30000 miles it have been getting stuck in full AWD. My GM dealer has been flushing the transfer case every 3 to 5 months. Now it is stuck in full AWD and will not come out of it. The dealer flushed it 2 times in one day and that did not help. They said I need a new transfer case now. Any one have ideas. That is a lot of money
  • dsetchdsetch Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 99 Bravada a few months back. I did get it wholesale for $3200 with 105k miles. I know that these are basically the same car with nicer features as the GMC Jimmy. So parts are very easy to come by. One thing that is common is the ball joints tend to go out if not lubed properly. I had to replace mine and the dealer wants $1000 but I did it for around $200. Make sure it's passed inspection and you know the ball joints are okay. I mean to make sure it's passed within the past few months! I love my Bravada. Nice and smooth ride and it looks good. I get about 18 miles to the gallon, but hey... it's what most SUV's get.
  • bravadabitesbravadabites Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 bravada mine had 104,000 when i got it which is much more than you but i have spoke with many people about these vehicles heres what i have been told....The climate control has many issues, my heat is stuck on full blast cant get it to turn off...I have been told it is about $1200 to fix. Wheel barrings go very easy..i am about to fix my second one. The smart track is very sensative if its off even a little it will cause the 4 wheel to stay on...also Mine is jerking, and skipping when i turn at s slow speed...I also but a new motor in it already...it went about two weeks after i bought it...i dont mean to be so negative but that is just my experience with it.

Amanda
  • fishingirlfishingirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys,
    I have a problem with my power windows. They will go up about 2 inches then stop. A few minutes later another couple inches, then stop. This is happening w/my driver side and both rear windows. To make matters worse the temp. all week is close to 100 where I'm located (NC) and my AC is on the fritz which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have the hit-or-miss thunderstorms. Has anyone had this prob. and if so is it something I could do myself or would it take a mech? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Brenda
    I wouldn't think it's the window motors because they wouldn't all have the same problem. It sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring which would mean a mechanic would be best to look at it. We've been over 100 degrees for 5 days now in St. Louis. I hate it.
  • mtb440mtb440 Member Posts: 4
    i just bought a 96 bravada and the guy i got it from said it leaks oil from were the oil filter was before they had to move it to fit the bravada. is this true and how do i stop the leak.
  • mtb440mtb440 Member Posts: 4
    has anybody have any good luck or bad luck with the 1996 bravada.
  • robporresrobporres Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 2002 Olds Bravada and have this weird problem that nobody seems to know what it is, I took it to a garage and they did an inspection that cost me $200 dollars fo nothing!!
    When I turn to move forward it feels like my wheels are locked and like I have the hand-break on, so I have to give gas so it moves, but if I release the gas the car stops like I'm on parking until I push on the gas again!!!! Same thing for reverse, it's really weird but I think it might be that there is a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system, if anyone knows anything please help me out!!!!!!
    thanks
    Check some earlier posts. Same thing on all Bravada's. Change the differential fluid and it should clear up the problem.
    Check post #58 and try getting some money back from your crooked mechanic!
  • shepherd1shepherd1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I live in Arizona, we only have license plates on the back, I now have a vanity plate for the front and find there is no way to put it on......any ideas, I assume I need to purchase a bracket.

Thanks

Rich
  • izzo41izzo41 Member Posts: 1
    My mirrors on the outside of the car had a mind of there own. Is there anyway to reset them? Also problem with misfire on the car as well. Can you help me with this
  • wendawenda Member Posts: 2
    Hello my name is wenda,
    I have a 99 bravada. occasionally after turning off my bravada when I go to start it again it will turn over but wont start. After letting it sit for awhile it usually comes back on but tonight it decided it wouldn't start up again. I'm not sure what to think. Any answers? Also my security system has been acting funny and comes on when it shouldn't and my stereo switches it self from one thing to another and sometimes shuts it self off. I don't know if its a computer problem or not. In addition to when I crank the wheel one way or the other all the way it jerks and hops!!! I have a two yearold daughter and live in northwestern pa...Its cold here so my car not acting right is a big deal...if anyone has answers please let me know
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A car may have difficulty restarting if your battery is weak or your fuel system is clogged. Considering the other symptoms you describe, the first thing I would do is have the battery and alternator checked.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wendawenda Member Posts: 2
    The battery and alternator are good I had them check. I was told it was the fuel pump. I called every parts dealer with in 50miles of here and they said they don't sell refurbished ones or used ones b/c they fuel pump system for the bravada's are just poorly designed and they aren't worth it.... Thank you for your help. I found a new fuel pump for $225.....I wish I would of known about this site before I bought the thing everything I have read about the bravada's just about is wrong with mine the fuel pump the climate control is stuck on one setting and the jerking when the wheel is cranked...Does anyone have trouble with their back brakes seizing up?
  • snowpoundersnowpounder Member Posts: 1
    Hello Im new to this forumn but im a mechanic . My bravada was binding and we changed the oil in the transfer case. Now the AWD is not working . It keeps blowing the fuse under the hood when I move the car. With the fuse replaced and the scan tool hooked up there is a clicking noise from behind the glove box when clearing codes. However there are no codes showing . The Service AWD light is on . Anyone have any ideas ???? Thanks
  • my2002bravadamy2002bravada Member Posts: 9
    hello, i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with there back windshield wiper not working and wiper sprayer also, we checked fuses and everything we can think of and it still wont work, please respond if you had have troubles with yours and what the problem was and how did you sole it thanks, :confuse:
    hi , it was working last year , but this year it doesntm when you step on brakes the traction device doesnt kick in when you are on ice or snow , we cant figure it out , has anyone had this problem and what can it be m does it need to be fixed or is it a simple project where i dont need to have amechanic workmon it, please respond and thanks :confuse:
    hi can anyone tell me what might be causing my awd not to kick in when on ice or snow, and now my sevice light is on any ideas :confuse:
  • douglas281douglas281 Member Posts: 4
    I think it could one of 3 things. I put close to $1700.00 in to my awd system this year. It could be an internal problem. It could be the computer board that runs the whole system. The most likely problem is the encoder motor that is on the side of the transfer case that engages the internal clutch plates to engage the awd. I paid close to $600.00 for this motor from my GM shop. Best thing to do is that the bravada to a GM shop and they can plug a computer into it and drive it around and try to find out the problem. Also my GM shop said to flush the transfer case every 10,000 to 15,000 miles to keep the transfer case in best working condition.
  • silverbullettsilverbullett Member Posts: 1
    i have just bought a 2001 bravada. anything i need to know about the oil cooler lines? it has 68,000 miles on it.
  • justwrenchingjustwrenching Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 bravada with 68000 miles on the clock. I have gone through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and found it to be in great shape with one slight exception. The service AWD light stays on, I have checked for a any kind of a code and found none to be present. I have also used twe different scan tools just to be sure the first one was working correctly and still no code.

Apparently there is some type of box in one of the kick panels located in front of the vehicle that basically has the circuit to actually turn this light off, but if what ever it is that switches the light on and off won't re-set the light stays on.

If this is the case, has anyone ever replaced this box? If so where did you get the part and what did it cost? Oh, and why did you find the need to replace it, and did it cure your problem?

Thanks for any help
  • justwrenchingjustwrenching Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure I completely understand what the ex owner did to the oil filter and moving it? I can say I own a 2000 Bravada which GM used hoses to relocate the oil filter from the original position located on the engine itself. I have found as many have these hoses leak oil, but mine don't leak enough to think about replacing them.

The Bravada we have did loose enough oil in 68000 miles to saturate the pan located under the engine. When I checked it out I removed the pan and cleaned everything in order to see exactly how much of a mess it makes between each oil change, and then reinstalled the pan. Between checking the oil between fill-ups and the pan I will be able to keep an eye on exactly how much oil I do loose this way.

If the oil levels on your vehicle aren't going down quickly, I would just keep an eye on the levels to be sure they are kept where they should be. This oily mess may look much worse than what it actually is.

I do agree any oil leak should be repaired if it is possible, but if this leak isn't any worse than a lot of other Bravadas with this problem, and between the cost of these hoses plus their install price, I might opt to leave well enough alone.
  • dogs2katzdogs2katz Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I was looking on this forum for help. My 99 Bravada has 112k miles on it. My transmission has gone out for the third!!! time now. The mechanic says he has this happen with Bravada's all the time and I should just get rid of it. This car has no hard use, is not used to haul things, has its oil changed religiously with synthetic oil. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening or is it just my Bravada with an issue?
  • mmv21mmv21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Bravada with about 197,000 miles on it. I have replaced the transmission once and after today I think I will be doing it again. I love the vehicle for the most part - the ride, the fact that it is loaded- but it has been a huge money pit since I paid it off three years ago. Right now I would not get anywhere near what I put into it if I sold it. So I have been repairing it until I pay off the new car I have right now. Then I will get a new SUV.

Over the last 3-4 years I have replaced just about everything except the frame on the vehicle. Some things more than once. From what I am reading the transmission issue is common. I actually remember having a conversation with the mechanic that replaced my transmission a few years ago and he told me there was some defect in one of the parts of the transmission that was known by the company, but, they never placed a recall on it. And that was one of the reasons the transmissions go. :mad:
  • sadbravada00sadbravada00 Member Posts: 3
    No need to give you my list of complaints just add mine to whats's already been listed. I have had them or they are on the way. We purchased a used 2000 Bravada about 3 years ago. Many problems later after sitting for a year we finally got the transmission replaced this week. Heated seats never worked until transmission replaced. The heated seats now work and now won't turn off which ran down the new battery the first morning after we brought it home and now we have no heat and service engine light stays on which wasn't on before transmission was replaced. Husband pulled fuse to shut them off but with the fuse out the service engine light stays on.The repair shop put in new battery when transmission repaired. Took back to shop, they said needs new alternator didn't know why seats won't shut off or engine light stays on. Husband pulled alternator and battery and took to another place which said alternator good but battery was bad. He put in a new thermastat which gives a little warm heat but still not as should be. Of course repair shop says battery good says bad alternator fried battery. We just need to know how to fix the seat warmers? Have so far not seen this problem. Anyone else experience anything similiar? Thanks. I loved this vehicle but it has been the most costly and frustrating vehicle we have ever owned. If I had found this site before purchase that Bravada would not be mine. Thanks for any help and sorry so long but with our list of problems it would be much longer.
  • maynard400maynard400 Member Posts: 1
    change fluid fixed the problem $60.00 at chev dealter.
  • rringsrrings Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Bravada and had to have the encoder motor replaced last summer. This is an the automatic electric motor that engages the smart trac system. It can fail in either engaged, disengaged or somewhere in between. I had mine replaced by a GM dealer at a cost of $700
  • 01bravada01bravada Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 bravada my wife loves it. But for the last two months, the heater has been giving us problems. It will blow hot for awhile then just blows cold. Have had it in the shop and had the system flushed, but has not fixed the problem. Our mechanic is stumped. Has anybody had the same problem with their heater?
  • untiedairuntiedair Member Posts: 1
    If they leak have the dealer do it,or another tech. The lines to the engine are a real pain. you may develop a new vocabulary. However it may be costly, both lines alone are 200.00 bucks. Good Luck
  • wehkahwehkah Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 2000 and they say the computer module for the transfer case is located on the passenger side under the dash.

Hope that helps.
  • razmnazrazmnaz Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anybody has heard of this problem? My 2003 Bravada makes this sort of high pitch buzzing/whistling noise coming from center of dash close to windshield when going anywhere from 40 to 60 MPH on real windy days. Vehicle only has 30,000 miles on it, and never been wrecked. Also, are there any big issues with front suspension parts becoming loose, such as stabilizer bars or any other kind of bushings? Thanx!
  • 97bravada97bravada Member Posts: 2
    i also own a bravada i currently have 242k miles and i have also had this problem in my case it was as simple as replacing the wipers fixed the problem. if the problem persists try making sure that the wiper cowl is secure
  • 97bravada97bravada Member Posts: 2
    i own a 97 bravada wich i bought in 2004 it has 242k miles i have been very fortunate as far as things going wrong with it i dont think i will ever get rid of this truck it is the first car i ever paid off so i will keep it till the wheels fall off and from what ive read in this forum it shouldve happend 100k ago
  • rholmerrholmer Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 bravada. it has 94,843 miles on it. When I hit the accelerator I get this noise that sounds like a cricket. As soon as i let off of the accelerator the noise goes away but comes back when I hit the accelerator agin. The noise does not happon when i turn on the speed contol. The starts around 15mph. The truck has to be moving and i have to be hitting the accelerator for the noise to start. I love the truck but this noise is becoming loader and it is really making me mad. I hope some one can help me.
  • carachasecarachase Member Posts: 3
    i just bought a 94 model this week from someone for $400. it had been sitting up for about 6 mos. he said that the only thing wrong with it when he parked it was that the gas gauge wasn't working. however, the ONLY lights that work in the gauges are the speedometer & odometer. the lights on the selector switch for the a/c & heather controls don't work either. also, the factory stereo would not come on. i thought it might be a problem with an exposed wire touching something it shouldn't be. so i replaced the stereo with aftermarket cd player, but still no lights on dash except the ones that have been working the whole time. the odometer has a reading of 360k (i know!) and i know that there are places that refurbish these digital dashes so that might not be the actual mileage. anyone have any ideas on why only certain lights work on the dash? :confuse:
    the truck also would sputter a little after you stopped at a light and got it up to about 15 mph then would smooth back out at around 20 mph. i took it to a muffler shop (to have new muffler put on) and he told me about the fuel tubes underneath the intake having problems being cracked and leaking extra fuel into the cylinders. i am in the process of replacing those tubes right now. will let everyone know how that works once i'm done.
    the truck was about a 3 1/2 hour ride from our house when we bought it. all we did before driving it that far was change the oil and fill it up with gas. other than that, everything else works GREAT!! a/c and all the extra goodies still work! i love these body style trucks and don't plan on getting rid of it, especially since we paid next to nothing for it!!! ;)
    hi has any one had problems with there rear bag suspension , it is leaning on the driver side and it doesnt air up when there is a load in bag or unload , we are thinking the sensor might have gone out which makes it pump up has anyone had truobles with there ,thanks
  • pottsformulapottsformula Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Bravada with 25000 miles. Sometimes when the car has been driven for a length of time, the car won't go into reverse at the first try. If I put in park and then reverse it goes in. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong. Thanks
  • gg1328gg1328 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1994 Olds Bravada - 4.3 CPI Engine. Car won't start. I changed the Distributor cap, Rotor, Ignition coil, as well as the spark plugs. The fuel pump tested good according to my mechanic. He said he called the dealer and that it might be the ECM unit costing about $800.00. Can any body please let me know where the ECM unit might be, so I can remove it and match it up at a junk yard.

Thanks,
    George
  • rel_hockrel_hock Member Posts: 1
    have a 2002 Bravada. The right turn signal functions but the left does not. Fuses are good. Is it the flasher or something else?
    have your mechanic check the switch in the steering column , they are plastic and can break.
  • jrt896jrt896 Member Posts: 1
    I have a simular problem, but it is with both sides, which will inflate/deflate at random. When it drops, it might re-inflate the next startup or a few miles down the road or as long as a week. I have had two mechanics look at it and they are unable to find a problem. I am trying to avoid the dealer but may end up there soon if I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
  • cheriln564cheriln564 Member Posts: 5
    We purchased this truck for my son and have had nothing but problems. Now after soaking $1500 into it there is another one.

The truck won't start, the key won't come out of the ignition, and it won't come out of park. We put a new relay in that was buzzing but it still doesn't do anything! Anyone else ever had this problem?????

Hate this truck! :(
  • mjgorgemjgorge Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my Bravada, found out there is a hole on the steering column underside where you can just push a pencil or whatever and a release switch will unlock your key. My problem turned out to be the battery. :blush:
    I had the same problem with my 1996 Bravada. It was the possitive battery cable that went bad. Changed it and the car was great for many more miles.
  • xmasiaxmasia Member Posts: 2
    hi all just bought a 98 bravada,my flasher relay wont stop flashing the only time it stops is when i step on the brakes,as soon as i turn the key on it starts none of the lights flash unless i use a signal or i brake.any ideas?
  • lindalululindalulu Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2000 Bravada and the same thing happened to me, the clicking sound drove me nuts! It lasted about 2 months and it just stopped. I'm sure that didn't help much but if you can put up with the clicking, maybe it will go away?

Good luck! :shades:
  • bfaus06bfaus06 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all!
    I have a 1999 Bravada with over 140K on it. (This is the second time I've owned this same vehicle - first time was in 2006) Ever since a little while before I got it from my brother, the Service Engine light comes on and goes out at its own will (most of the time). The first time I had it, it was constantly experiencing problems with the fuel pump (which no local mechanic could seem to figure out) and was eventually replaced. That was the only problem I had with it and the SES light would only come on when someone else drove it (I swear). Now that I have it back, the SES light comes and goes. For a while it was random, we had the codes checked and replaced the two up-stream O2 sensors. It stayed off for a while and started to come on again only when I entered an in-town area. I filled my gas tank and ran some injector cleaner through it. It's still on that tank of gas but the light is coming on more frequently and at no specific time, temperature, or location. I have noticed that when the light comes on, it kills my gas mileage but when cleared, my gas mileage is instantly back to normal. For example, normally I can drive my car to and from work for 4 or 5 days on a full tank (15 miles each way). Today on my way home, the light came on again and within less than a half of a mile it drained almost 1/8 of my tank. It gets all of its regular maintenance (at least the two times I've owned it, it has) and is going to a different mechanic on Friday to have the coolant flushed and the Air Pump/Exhaust Check valve changed. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I can't afford to buy another car and this one is starting to drive me crazy!
  • bfaus06bfaus06 Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to update the current status of my problematic car. It went to the mechanic and had the coolant flushed, it has the new O2 sensors, a new Air Pump valve, gasket, and hose, and a new tank of gas. It's still having the same problems with the SES light that it had before, as well as an exhaust leak. Any thoughts at all??? Help!! :sick: