Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Bravada

susyq47susyq47 Member Posts: 1
i need to know where the computer is located on a 94 bravada,all wheel drive.my boss at my job is letting me use the vehicle first to see if i want to but it. it needs alot of repair. anyways, it seems like it is out of time, but there is no timing mark, i guess its a computer. any info on this would be "very" helpful,so my husband can try to fix it himself, thank you,susyq47

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Bravada!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
    4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
    5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
    6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
    7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
    (The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    You cannot upload photos directly from your computer into a message within a discussion. Your photo must reside elsewhere. Some have used free photo hosting sites (www.picturetrail.com, www.zing.com/, www.fototime.com, www.clubphoto.com) to load their photos into a private folder and then post them within a message.

Here's how:

To get this:

Use this coding, but replace the ( and ) with < and >:

(img src="http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0001/www.edmunds.com/pictures/100532.jpg")

Or: (img src="Photo URL address")

To make your photo a link like this:

do this:

(a href="Page URL address")(img src="Photo URL address")(/a)

Remember, posting copyrighted photos is a no-no. Unless, of course, you own the copyright.

Hope this helps! If you need more assistance, please let me know.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Club
  • blefflerbleffler Member Posts: 22
    I've had my Bravada for a couple weeks now and really enjoy it.

I'm interested in what solutions folks have used to secure their spare tire.

bob
  • tomwilson1951tomwilson1951 Member Posts: 7
    We got our 2002 Bravada on April 4 and currently have ~2000 miles on it. Other than the month it was off road for the recall, we LOVE it. A friend also just bought one yesterday and his comment was, "Awesome!".
    I have noticed some tire noise with the Cross Terrains, but haven't had time to talk to the dealer about it. Anyone else noticed it?

TomW
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    We've had our Bravada for almost 3 weeks. So far we love it. It's pretty early but we have encountered zero problems. The fit & finish, etc. is great. We also have a brand new Acura 3.2TL Type S and the Bravada with the air suspension rides more smoothly.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    As the title would indicate, I've had mine Bravada for nearly a month. I'm overall very happy with it. A few minor annoyances: The bezel around the passenger (front) inside door handle pops off and the headliner at the rear of the sunroof has come un-stuck. Other than that I love it. What looks it gets!!!

Mine is Indigo Blue with the SmartTrak
    Nice to meet you all!

Would anyone like to offer some suggestions for discussions in your club?

Accessories & Modifications?
    What did you pay?
    Road Trips?
    Problems & Solutions?

Other ideas???? Let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    Mine was ordered June 4 and I am looking forward to receiving it. Had a '89 Blazer and son is still driving it every day in Virginia.
  • ttarkingtonttarkington Member Posts: 18
    We bought a 2000 Bravada 2 weeks ago, love it, only had 15k miles. Mine has the Platinum Package, I've added fiberglass running boards painted to match the trim on the bottom, a bug shield on the front, window rain shields. Honestly, I can't think of another thing that could possibly be added to this one!
  • hingramhingram Member Posts: 24
    1996 Bravada here. We may look at a 2002 in a few years. The 1996 still looks as good as new. These cars hold up very well.
  • gmanusegmanuse Member Posts: 1
    Just got our new 2001 Bravada yesterday (6/16/2001) and love it. It's arctic white, sunroof, pewter leather, along with all the other nice incentives that are being offered to clear the dealers' inventory to make room for 2002. We currently have a 1989 Olds Intrigue so we qualified for the $1,500 loyalty rebate. Plus you can't beat the $3,000 rebate now being offered on 2001 the Bravada. Been very happy with Oldsmobiles and are sorry it's being phased out. Maybe it's a marketing/publicity ploy from GM??? Anyway, only one problem found with our new Bravada... when the headlights are on, the instrument panel lights, radio display, console display, and shifter display do not illuminate. I guess we'll have to take it back to the dealer on Monday to see what's wrong.
    Here goes. My 2002

Yea! It worked! Thanks
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    A 1989 Olds Intrigue?? I wish they made them back them, Olds wouldn't be in the trouble they are now if they did. Anyway, I'm sure you meant 1999 Intrigue. As for the "phase out" being a GM marketing ploy, I only wish that was the case but unless Robert Lutz says whoa(which isn't likely) Olds is probably gone in a few more years. Thats really a shame as they have an excellent product line and they were really improving their image among consumers. Other than Cadillac or Chevy/GMC trucks and SUVs, there is really no other GM division I really like.
  • TDambrosiaTDambrosia Member Posts: 2
    I am cobsidering trading my 97
    GMC Safari for a 2001 Bravada. I know about the 3K rebate, but not about the 1.5K loyalty rebate....does anyone know if it is still available. Also, the appx. cost of extending to a 6 or 7 year extended warranty?
    Thanks.
  • jmd5jmd5 Member Posts: 1
    I will soon give my 1994 explorer to my son. I've narrowed my choices to the 2001 bravada or the 2001 ford escape. I realize that they are different vehicles. I am attracted to the bravada with its rebate and 5/60 warranty but am concerned about its eventual phase-out and its reliability and gas mileage. My explorer averaged 13-15 around town. The escape seems to be roomier inside and predicts better gas mileage(18/24). Any thoughts or advice for me?
  • kenschmidtkenschmidt Member Posts: 1
    I currently am looking at a 1999 Bravada with 15,000 miles. The price seems too good to be true ($15,500). Would appreciate any feedback on quality, reliability, an overall satisfaction from current owners. This is for a replacement on a totaled 2000 Rodeo.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    2002 Triplet owners: For those who aren't already aware, there's multiple forums here for the 2002 Envoy/TB/Bravada owners, which makes finding parts and accessories a challenge. It took a whle to realize that the forums here are sometimes haphazard and redundant for certain sibling vehicles. It appears that there is no Parts/Accessories Forum for the Bravada like there is for the Envoy/Trailblazer. If you weren't aware, there are parts that are applicable for all three triplets on the Envoy Parts/Accessories board -- perhaps the HOSTS here should consider making these all into a single site, like the main My 2002.... board...

Links for all vehicles provided below: (remove the space in the url-- can't post words greater than 115 chars here)

Envoys:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?14@@.ef00533

Trailblazers:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?13@@.ef00521

Bravadas:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?13@@.ef00528
  • dyatesdyates Member Posts: 13
    Hi Everyone,

I just purchesed a new Bravada about two weeks ago. So far I couldn't be happier.

Please let me know if you have added any accessories or modifications that you really like. Also, if you have installed any, that in hindsight, you wouldn't do again please share them.

Problems & Solutions-So far the only thing we noticed was some wind noise. It was corrected by following the supplement pages in the owners manual. It offers instructions for the car rack bracket placement when not in use.
  • bimmersbimmers Member Posts: 14
    We bought a new 2002 Bravada right before the no interest promotion ended. The Bravada was a cheaper and better value than its siblings, particularly its 5 year warranty. Love the motor. Reminds me of my in-line BMW engines. Nicely appointed and powerful. But . .

Has anyone had experience dealing with/getting satisfaction from Olds/GM with regard to the deformations/ripples in the sheet metal at the top corners of all the doors where they wrap around the window glass? Mine's black and the ripples are VERY evident. The front bumper cover also is very loose, not snug like the Envoy and the Trailblazer. Shakes on washboard surfaces. Dealer says all Bravada bumpers are loose and that this is normal. I think not. There's also spot weld splatter inside two of the door jambs. Anyone else have these issues? I read in the car mags that these vehicles had QC issues, but I never expected this many. Mine was made in June 2001, so I assume it's a early production truck.

Thanks!
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    If you can't get satisfaction from your dealer, I would definitely try Oldsmobile. If you're patient with them and explain your situation, they may even contact your dealer and order the work to be performed!
  • glb637glb637 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone else has a low rpm groaning noise from the engine/transmission???? when starting up from a dead stop and only in the 750 to 900 rpm range..my Olds dealership has replaced my intake manifold but it did not correct the problem ...that was 4 months ago and I understand Olds/GM is working on it at the technical service level...evidently all of the triplets have it and there is no fix at this time....if anyone has had this noise and their dealer could fix it ....please let me know....at this point Olds?GM said they will let me know when the fix is figured out........also you will notice in your owners manual it states not to exceed the redline on your tachometer...have you seen a redline on your tach....not there is it....all grey or at least mine is........also the person that had a clunk when going over big bumps...I had it also and it was found to be a loose bolt on the rear stabilizer bar...after it was tighten ....no problem.....does anyone know if Olds has running boards for this Bravada?????? Thanks for any information you can give me......Gary
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Those of you with the 2002 Bravada, take a look at the side panel just behine the rear door. It juts out just far enough to catch all the road debris from the front wheels, with or w/p flaps. If your vehicle is more than a month old, the paint is probably chipped badly. Anyone got a solution? GM is supposedly "working on it". Basicly design people screwed up.

Bobbies
  • stoney11stoney11 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have Grinding both front and back (brakes ?) when putting car in gear? Dealer says normal, didn't start til 3000miles.
  • bravada2002bravada2002 Member Posts: 1
    As per my response to post #21, I too, had this problem, as I'm sure all owners have. My fix, was to demand the dealer apply a Mylar film over the surface, after it was repainted, of course under warranty. This was done several months ago, and the problem is solved. I chose a black film, much like Porsche and Panoz use on wide fender flares, even though the dealer wanted to apply clear. To each his own, I like mine as it goes with my theme. Lots of ongoing problems still with the encoder motor on the transfer case, wandering mirrors etc. but it will all be ironed out in time, I hope!

Al
    By grinding, what do you mean? Do you mean a fast pulsing action? That's normal. It's the ABS performing a self test.
    Surprisingly, I live right by the beach, and I have yet to see any chips on my rear flares! I guess the true test will be this winter when the rock salt hits the road.

Maybe it's a paint issue though. Do you guys have a noticable "orange peel" to your paint? I've seen some triplets that were really bad and others where it was hardly noticeable. On mine it's hardly noticeable, so it may have something to do with how the paint cured (temperature/time/etc).
  • bravadabobbravadabob Member Posts: 3
    I live in PA and just took my vehicle in for the flange paint chip problem. Purchased the vehicle in Aug.2002 and now have 4100 miles on it. The dealer called me yesterday and said the repaint job was NOT a warranty item. I told him in no uncertain terms that was not acceptable. I told him that he sold me a 4-Wheel drive vehicle that I cannot drive in the winter if I want paint on the bottom panels. What is wrong with that picture?? So a Factory Rep. is supposed to look
    at it today. I fully expect a run around on this.
    Any suggestions??? HELP
    The dealer, after talking with the Factory Rep. agreed to repaint the area where the paint is chipped free of charge as a "goodwill" gesture(aren't they nice).
    I am going to put mud flaps on to see if this helps the problem.
  • convergies4113convergies4113 Member Posts: 1
    hey folks, i am looking to purchase a 94,96 bravada from the local auction. do u guys have any heads-up i should look for maintenance/repair-wise for an older bravada. whatever advise i could get would be very helpful.
    Please refer to MSG's 26 and 27.
    Dealer repainted the flange areas in front of the back wheels and i had the dealer put mud flaps on, as he recommended. Picked up the vehicle on 01/23/03 and drove it home on slushy, treated roads. A few days later when I was washing the vehicle, I noticed the paint chipping problem was back. The dealer says it is a design problem and there is nothing he can do about, The Oldsmobile Customer Assistance folks are, as I write, having problems getting the dealer to call them back(for 3 days now). Where do I go next to get resolution to this problem? Need some help here. The vehicle was purchased on 8/8/02 and there is currently about 4400 miles on it.
    I still think this is a problem with the base coat of paint curing. I have a build date of 08/01 and still haven't had any paint chipping problems. I don't have mudflaps or running boards either. Probably the only way to get rid of the problem would be to strip the entire area and repaint. You might want to do a search in the Envoy/TB/Bravada board and see if you can gleem any similarities in build date between those reporting the problem.
    I had an '02 Bravada (Build date 4/01) until 1/03 - 21,400 miles. Not one paint chip either on the rear hatch around the license plate indent (never had the gasket installed) or anywhere around the wheel flares.

Interesting.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    This is in response to Message #29.

I bought my '03 Bravada (8/02 build date) on 10/19/02. I observed the splash up problem on the rear fender flares the first week I owned the Bravada and installed Bravada splash guards. The next week we had snow and the sanded (Colorado calls quarter-inch pea gravel sand) roads already started to do a number on the rear fender flares. If I had bought the Bravada a month earlier like I had planned, I would have had all my protection installed before the weather turned, but that's life.

I did some searching on the triplet forum and found that this was a common problem and that side steps or running boards were needed to deflect the back-spray. I was already looking into getting a full package clear bra and one of the shops I called told me they always covered the rear fender flares w/ clear cover on new Bravadas.

Of the damage I acquired from that first winter storm, only a few of pits made it past the clear coat. I cleaned the area, put touch-up (my Bravada is Pewter metallic, which masks a host of sins) on the half dozen real chips, and used polishing compound on the rest of the pitted clear coat. I then had the clear bra package installed w/ rear fender flare coverage.

If you look close you can see the paint isn't perfect, but from 3 feet or more you can't tell anything is different. With the clear plastic protection and the side steps I added at Christmas, things won't get any worse. Since my splash-up damage wasn't too bad and the Pewter metallic paint is so forgiving appearance-wise, I chose to live with less than perfect (heck, I already got my first door ding in a parking lot). It wasn't going to be worth it for me to fight w/ a dealership and a manufacturer that are going out of business anyway. Life is too short, so you have to pick the battles that are both winable and worth winning.

Oldsmobile and your dealer aren't going to solve the chipping problem for you. If you got the area re-painted and it is still in decent shape, get some of the 3-M plastic bra material applied ASAP. Running boards or side steps are also a good idea. Too bad that the most attractive styling of the triplets is just too much concept and not enough practical.
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    WHAT IS 3-M PLASTIC BRA FOR REAR FLARES? WHERE DO YOU GET THE STUFF?
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    You get the 3M film automotive paint protection from a local, certified installer. Check your Yellow Pages. Many window tint firms do the clear film bras. Just be sure they are using the 3M ScotchCal product and not a substitute. Get several quotes and get their references. A good choice is typically a firm that is installing the invisible bra on high-priced cars for an auto dealership.

Here are a couple of links that provide some more information:
    <http://www.flying-finish.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/240730.htm>

<http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/automotive_oem/trim_pages/shift_962-08.jhtml>
  • bravadamikebravadamike Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a new 2003 Bravada that I purchased approx. 3 months ago. I am having the same paint chipping problems as some of you and I am very upset with the answers I have been receiving from both the GM Customer Assistance individuals and my dealership. After getting an estimate, I was told that I should take this up with my insurance company. (Passing the problem on) Why, it is not my fault? The vehicle is not performing as intended. If I was told at the time of purchase that I needed to get the vehicle repainted within 3 months I would not have purchased it. If I was told at the time of purchase that I needed mud flaps or the paint would become extremely damaged, I would have purchased them or better yet, would have asked why they do not come standard as a protection measure. I feel it is a design flaw and do not feel that the customer is responsible for a major oversight of GM.
    I too was offered the "goodwill" paint offer but chose not to take it because I was also told that they will not warrant it should it happen again. So they are saying that there is a problem but will not stand behind it and own up to it.
    If any of you are having the same issue, please post your concerns or ideas.

I am curious to see how BravadaBob made out also.
  • bmartin48bmartin48 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a little tired hearing this from a variety of mechanics that have worked on my 97 Bravada. Amongst them are:

1. Alternators
    2. A/C Condenser
    3. Front door pins
    4. Transmission
    5. Heater

Anyone else experience these types of comments from mechanics?

I now have a rather interesting problem of "sloshing". The mechanic that is working on my car now says that water has gotten into the car and where it normally would drain, that drain is clogged and can't get out. He suggested that I take it to a body shop. Any suggestions there?

Also, my two fog lamp lens need to be replaced, but I understand from the dealer that I have to replace the entire assembly. Anybody have a solution for that? Also the lens for the left rear taillight. It requires that you replace the entire light assembly event though all that needs to be replaced is the lens.

Thanks, I am really glad I found this forum and look forward to reading and responding to posts.

bmartin48
  • cpoolcpool Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 Bravada. I've had it since it was new in 97. I love it, but now it seems to be having some real problems that stem from manufacturing. How or can I even get manufacturing company to help me. I've spent over 4 grand. I love my bravada. thanks
    [email protected]
  • abelzabelz Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else but me experienced a little "chirping" sound when going over small bumps? Bought my '03 Bravada in March, 2003, and it began doing this almost immediately. With 5 trips to the dealer on this same problem they continue to tell me it's something on the hood that they keep replacing but continues to fail within a week "post-op". VERY ANNOYING! Other than that, I love my car and enjoy all of its conveniences.
  • camobunnicamobunni Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2000 Bravada and I was just wondering what any owners of a 2000 thought of it...good/bad. I am not sure I want to leap and get rid of my truck and go SUV. Any help and opinions in the situation would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa
  • kworthkworth Member Posts: 1
    My wife just bought it and I am wondering how good the smart trac is? I am used to flipping the lever and would "chock" the wheels to see if things were working. Is this system dependable? Anything that operates electronically always makes me hesitate about its dependability.
  • dhkshumdhkshum Member Posts: 1
    My turning signal flasher (mybe the flasher relay)makes "bing, bing ....." noise all the time, eventhough I was not turning. Can someone tell me whether there is a problem with the flasher or the flasher relay or both. By the way, please also tell me the exact locations of these flasher and the flasher relay. Thanks !!
  • musicman1musicman1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 Bravada. After reading numerous postings about the paint chip problem, I contacted my Olds dealership to inquire about purchasing and installing mud guards before any damage occurred. While in the process of discussing the problem with a service rep, I was informed that GM was aware of the problem, and had issued a service bulletin (03-08-111-002B) addressing the problem. After receiving authorization, the dealer installed running boards at no cost to me. The bulletin also included repainting of the damaged areas if necessary.
  • jbarnesjbarnes Member Posts: 1
    What happened? I've got the exact same problem with a 2004 Buick Rainer...
  • musicman1musicman1 Member Posts: 2
    The paint chipping on the protruding front edge of the rear wheelwells is caused by gravel and other debris thrown by the front tires. The running boards seem to do a good job preventing the problem. I also installed front and rear mud guards for further protection and to keep the lower body panels behind the rear wheel wells cleaner and less prone to damage. Good luck.

Musicman1
  • silvertruck1silvertruck1 Member Posts: 3
    I have... had a 2002 blue Bravada. I bought it in Nov of 01.I had planned to keep this car for ten years. I paid off the entire car 6 months ago. Its really nice not having to make payments anymore, BUT i had no choice but to get rid of it.
    brief history, 4 months after owning the car with 5000 miles, the engine died.. they had to replace the entire engine, that same year, all the door panels were falling off, in the first year the car was in the shop 11 times, the second year 8 times. And till the very last day of ownership every now and then while backing up or making a sharp turn a loud banging sound that nobody could fix. the dealership told me the engineers were getting a solution.. that was 4 yrs ago. the rear window wiper only worked when it felt like it. forget about the water. Just really a big mess. 36,000 is alot of money for a car that lasted me only 4 of the 10 yrs.This past year i spent 795 dollars to replace ???? not sure they were big, round, heavy, kind of looked like a big washer./. im sorry, i cant remember. the one thing i do remember was the independent mechanic who did the work said, the parts that OLDS used were horse S#@$#@ and cheap, and it should have never worn out at 50,000 miles. in 05 it was in the shop 5 more times, 4 times because of really bad rattle that happened every so often, that nobody could fix, just kept finding other things, and hearing mechanics say, "i am surprised to see that part go?!". "that should not go at 50,000 miles,, "they used cheap parts" finally 2 weeks ago, i took it back to dealer. i said, keep this dam thing here until you find the problem. the next day i get a call, they had not even got to the rattle problem yet but told me the car needs two new wheel barrings.total cost approx 2k with labor. never mind the rattle that is another story. I heard enough, traded the car in as is the following weekend for a 06 honda ridgeline. very different, my wife thinks im crazy but so far so good. the bravada was really comfortable, good look, ton of power. handled really well, good in snow, great speakers. Put the back seats down you have a nice, long wide, trunk, that helped me take a refrigerator to the dump and, 3 big couches& chair to the dump. at 60,000 i got 11.500 for the trade in, and ran. Its too bad, i intended to keep that car 10 yrs with no payments. but it was just one thing after another with this car. I also have 97 chevy blazer 145 miles, never had a problem with it.
  • fe3_2300cc_16vfe3_2300cc_16v Member Posts: 2
    2002 Oldsmobile Bravada: For the life of me, I cannot figure out why ,when I cut the wheel hard to the left or right, like pulluing in and of of parking spaces at low speed, sharp corners, etc., the vehicle stutters on acceleration as if it can't overcome the resistance in the front CV joints. It's starts bucking and carrying on like something is seriously wrong and ultimately can not negotiate the delivery of torque to the hubs when the CV's are in a maxxed out turn. Other that that, driving in a straight line is fine. I went out on some loose gravel and matted the throttle to ensure the wheel-slip traction control was working. Good to go: with a fraction of a split-second, the transfer case locked in and sent power to the wheels. As far as I'm concerned, the mechanical operation of torque/motion delivery from the transfer case to the rear end gear box works like it should. The problem is turning in parking lots and sharp turns. What is going on here?
  • aachooaachoo Member Posts: 1
    My sister has a 2000 Bravada and it quits running when the fuel level gets down to 8 gallons. This leads me to beleave that there is a secondary fuel pump on this which picks up the fuel in the second half of the tank. Is this correct and can anyone advise??
  • valorrvalorr Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 bravada is having the exact same problem as the one who talked about cutting the wheel hard to the left or right and pulling in parking spaces in slow speed . It sounds like the tires are rubbing when I make a sharp turn, but they aren't. So I told my dad (who was a mechanic for years) about it and he said to take it back to the dealer and tell them it is the power rack and pinion steering. So that is what I am going to try. I'll see if this is the problem!!!!