Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

Really tough call. Most of the vehicles on this forum have a lot less miles, and even though we all still had to fight and be pushy, there's been a bunch of us that have had some success. My replacement tranny from Volvo is only one year unlimited mileage warranty, so that is a better deal with the tranny shop, but $2600 is still a lot of money-for me anyway-

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the car as well. I had a XC 70 AWD wagon before this and never had the types of issues I have with the XC90. I would never purchase one again. I don't even know that I'd purchase a Volvo again after this experience.

You could still do what we all did and complain to all the parties and see what happens-what's a couple of emails? But then again, it depends how much time/money you want to invest into all of this...

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it all depends on what you want to do.
    Take care and Best of Luck.

Lisa
    I never heard back from the NTSB either, but look at it this way.....they are a national organization that is tracking car data, if they get enough complaints, I wonder if volvo will ever be forced to make this a recall? We don't really know, so all that we can do really is keep pushing those number of complaints up as they happen. Sooner or later, all of this will have to be addressed is a more global way....
    But just my thoughts.....

Lisa
  • dntscottdntscott Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    2003 XC90 T6 AWD, 78,185 miles, I am the 2nd owner bought it with 58,000 miles 2 years ago. Previous owner gave me his Volvo service records. 60,000 mile service everything was fine. Unfortunately... now I have joined your group. July 2, 2009 while driving 7 miles at 25-40 mph, the dreaded "TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT" light came on. Took it to my local mechanic who said error code "TCM 002B" the 3rd and 4th gear are bad, probably have to replace tranny, but take it to the dealer, cost $35.00. July 3, took it to North Point Volvo in Little Rock, Arkansas (the ONLY Volvo dealer in Arkansas). After 2 hours, said that my battery was bad and they couldn't read the codes, new battery was $150.00, so I went to AutoZone and bought one for $90.00, so now they can test, right. 2 hours later, they tell me I need a new tranny, cost $177.32 for the diagnostic, and $8300 + tax for the replacement tranny(part# 8602595, $4743.86), radiator(part#36000087 $496.44), trans cooler(part# 30741490 $526.24), trans cooler line #1(part# 31212264 $133.98), trans cooler line #2(part# 31212261 $78.91), trans cooler line #3(part# 31212265 $133.98), coolant($23.98), and new bolts... yes seriously, new bolts (6 for the torque converter(part# 979671 $15.00), and 4 for the subframe(part# 985111 $53.88). Labor was calculated at $99.00/hr for 18 hours($1782.00). If you are doing the math, you realize that I am a couple hundred short, but the remaining figures were not listed on my estimate, I will assume shop supplies, but they wrote $8300 + tax. Before I went to the dealer, I began reading some of these postings, so I somewhat knew what to expect. However, I do believe I have the highest estimate to date. Apparently the economy is good at Volvo. It was too late in the day to contact Volvo Customer Support, so we'll see what happens on Monday. As I am currently unemployed, I have nothing better to do with my time that write letters and make phone calls, but I will hold off hoping they will just do what is right. If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. I was searching for the posting #170 as I saw a link saying it may be of some help, VolvoAdvocate may have been the poster?
    Interestingly enough, when I returned to AutoZone to return the old battery for the core charge, I had them throw it on the tester, and it came back as good. I asked them if their tester tested under a load, and they said yes. So... thinking that was strange, I took it to Advance Auto Parts, and they tested it too. It was good. So here I sit with 2 good batteries and a go nowhere XC90 until who knows when.
    Hi,

Sorry, but welcome to the "club". I would see what the dealer does, first-then plan your actions from there. I also am the second owner of my XC90 that got a free replacement transmission and other parts. I purchased mine from a wholesaler who buys cars at the Auction in CT. I think they also did a little pitching for me to Volvo when they found out what I had done. If you need help after talking to the dealer on Monday, please let us know, as a few of us have been successful. I'll hope the best for you as well and feel free to use the card of I don't have a job to the hilt! Do what you need to do to get this taken care of. I'm still amazed that Volvo hasn't issued a recall, but that's just me.
    Let us know how you make out on Monday. I'll cross my fingers, toes, eyes, arms, etc.....

Good luck and fight hard!

Lisa
  • sophylsophyl Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased my Volvo 2004 XC90 T6 in May 09, Used w/47,000 miles on it, (i was looking for safety) already since i have owned this car it has been in the shop for many days. there has been unknown fluid leaks, hose issues, recalls, and now- on a routine oil change, i am told i have a refurbished transmission (unbeknown to me) that was incorrectly installed, my mechanic says- "a real sh*t job, by someone who didn't know what they were doing." this isn't right. i went for safety and now i have a car payment +??? unknown costly repairs. Should the dealership have disclosed the refurbished transmission? the dealership 30 day warranty has expired, i did purchase the extended warranty, after market, suggestion? what can i do with this lemon?
    thx in advance
    Hi,

I would look into the extended warranty immediately-as this is a major issue with these cars. Then depending on if the transmission is covered or not, would determine my personal next steps.

So, in other words, if the tranny is covered by the extended wrty, let them pick up the cost of it, get it fixed and be done with it.

If not, then I would recommend what I have to all the others on this forum and do the following, all online.
    1. File a complaint with the NTSB
    2. File a complaint with Volvo
    3. File a complaint with your states Consumer Protection-
    4. File a complaint with your states Attorney General-and please let Volvo know to what extent you are filing complaints with-might make them more motivated to work with you....

There have been a few on the forum that have done this and had success, I did and had success as well. But my only issue I've had with the car thus far has been the transmission-cross my fingers and toes here, so hopefully for you, once the tranny issue is resolved, you will have more peace of mind. Good luck, and don't feel bad about complaining-the more of us that do it-the more this issue will be brought out in the open. Also, I don't know if this will show on a carfax report, maybe the dealer where you purchased it had no idea, but I'd find that hard to believe........but that's me....

Let me know if you need anything else.
    Lisa
  • pcavellpcavell Member Posts: 1
    Lisa I as well am a second owner of a 2004 XC90. At 60k miles the previous owner had the tranny replaced, and now at 96k miles the second one has gone bad. I've gone to the dealership and the estimate $7000 to replace this one. What success have you or anyone else had with dealing with this lemon. I feel I would be and idiot to pay that amount of money for another lemon tranny. Please anyone with any advice please share.
    Hi,

Yea, I hear you! I did the following as the second owner of an 2005. Apparently, the original owner on mine was a lease.

1. Write the Consumer Protection for your State.
    2. Write the Attorney General for your State.
    3. Write a complaint to Volvo-
    4. Do the online complaint for NTSB.

Do what you need to do. I did all of mine on line, either by forms or links thru email-and wrote scathing letters. This shouldn't be happening to any of us!

I hope this helps and I'll hope for the best and cheapest outcome for you! Let me know if you need anything else!

Lisa
  • kboy41kboy41 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 XC90 T6 has a little over 65,700 miles and the Service Trans Urgent light came on. I spent $140 to tow it to the dealer in Fayetteville, NC. They have ran diagnostics on the vehicle and told me the transmission needs to be replaced. I asked the dealership about a factory warranty - this car is not old and the mileage is low....the representative at the dealership told me they were waiting to hear back from Volvo to see if the transmission can be covered under the "good will" warranty through the company since my car has fairly low mileage and the services are up to date with Volvo dealerships.
    I am extremely concerned because this forum has been brought to my attention that this vehicle (T6) is notorious for having transmission problems at low mileage and owners must pay out of pocket for something that appears to me to be a flaw in the manufacturing. Volvo should recall these faulty transmissions and take responsibility for the trouble, safety and loss of money they are causing their customers. “Volvo for Life” only if you want to purchase a new transmission every 20-40k miles!
    I do plan to ask my dealership for more information because I have maintained the car at a Volvo certified mechanic; it has received every service suggested. This should not have happened.
    I sent a complaint to Volvo, NTSB and the Attorney General.
    Hi,

Agreed, and please don't forget the Consumer Protection for your State. I think the more of us that complain, the father we will all get collectively as a group. It does bother me that Volvo calls this "Good Will" when we all concur this shouldn't even be happening at all. But like anything worth fighting for, you do have to endure. Following what I did and listed above worked for me and about seven other people, that I know of, so far, so lets hope it works for you as well. This handles the immediate issue.

My concerns going forward is what happens if these "new and improved transmissions" fail as well, and we are out of warranty again? And how long will they last, I personally don't have a lot of faith that this new one will last, but that's my personal concern.

Let us know how you make out with your dealer and Volvo. I'm hoping everything goes very well!!!!

Lisa
  • bigfred2bigfred2 Member Posts: 2
    Since mine was replaced completely free by the local dealer at 65K, it is a completely different car! I did pay for the software upgrade just before the complete failure. What I noticed it did was change the way the car shifts. Under heavy load, it will lift off the throttle between shifts, probably to try and save the clutches.
    In the early failures, they failed to replace the cooling lines and radiators and the metal shavings from the dead tranny would migrate into the new one and kill it very soon. This is now standard procedure with a T6 tranny replacement.
    Remember, Volvo recommends NO service to this tranny what so ever! I have seen a few posts from people that flushed their tranny and had it fail soon after.
    I was also surprised to see some make it past 100K! There is hope! I just hope mine holds together long enough to trade it in on a new V8 XC90! Sweet! NO GM trans!
    It is a great car and a great engine, just a bad GM (General Mistake) trans!
    I hope they found the internal problem and made changes to the new replacements. Volvo wants EVERY tranny returned to them still assembled. A strange note, someone else was in for the same thing at the same dealer, and they had an after market warranty. Their warranty company refused to let Volvo install their tranny. They insisted thet the dealer use their company's rebuilt unit with a lifetime warranty and unlimited mileage. They REFUSED to let Volvo replace the cooling lines or radiator! Wonder how long that one will last....with unlimited warranty, who cares! Maybe they know something Volvo doesn't....or they're just stupid.......???
    I still want to know what Cadillac this trans is from??? Ironic thing, I bought my XC90 used from a Cadillac dealer!
    I also had to laugh at CARMAX offering more on a 04 XC90 if it didn't have a turbo???? All 04 XC90's had turbos!!! 5cyl has one, 6 cyl has TWO...go figure.
    Of all the cars I've owned, the only one to not ever leave me stranded somewhere....my 1958 Edsel! HA! Still have it!
  • kschnitzkschnitz Member Posts: 5
    Im in NC too and also have a 2005 T6 with failing transmission. My Volvo has 71,000 miles and I have never had any problems with this car. I love my car and am so disheartened by this problem. I submitted complaints to the NTSC, NC State Attorney General, State Consumer Protection and also to Volvo Consumer Affairs. I have maintained this vehicle according to the factory specifications at my local Volvo dealership. I was told that the cost of replacement woud be $5300.00. I paid the $100 fee to have the computer diagnostic test done and it didn't show any codes at this time but they did confirm that the transmission is slipping on acceleration and in low gears. A Volvo representative called me and said that until the transmission actually fails they will not do anything. They are using an alternate transmission now for the replacement but it is still a GM transmission and it's on backorder for 1 - 2 months!!! I'm hopeful that Volvo will take responsibility for this....I will keep you informed.
  • cjanocjano Member Posts: 1
    My transmission went out at 88,000 miles on 1/1/09. I had an extended warranty which paid to replace it less the deductible. Today, on the hottest day of the year it went out again, and left me stranded on a switchback road, a very dangerous situation. After sitting for about five minutes with the engine off, I was able to turn it back on and drive the car home (probably 1,000 yards of less). My mileage is 95,000. I cannot believe that I had my new(new?) transmission for under six months, or 7,000 miles. My dilema is this: I believe it will be covered again, but am so sick of this and everything else that has gone wrong over the years, that I would love to get rid of the car. However, I can't afford a new car, nor would I want to see someone stuck with this one. Does anyone know if I could get another extended warranty? And, should I just go ahead and send letters to the four entities that have been referred to in earlier chats?
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    Greetings, one and all. I accidentally stumbled upon this Volvo XC90 T6 forum while trying to get feedback on the just-released 3.2L version of the new 2010 Volvo XC60. I've read every message in this forum and re-read some of them. Being a car buff who diligently reads numerous car magazines, I must admit that this was the first I had heard of the Volvo XC90 T6 transmission problem.

I am the original owner of a 2003 Volvo XC90 T6. It has low mileage for its age (56,500) and has been serviced exclusively at Volvo dealers. I used to live in rural Wisconsin -- 100 miles away from the Volvo dealer in Madison, who did not have evening or Saturday service hours, so service was a pain. I now live in South Florida within 35 miles of 2 Volvo dealers.

Thus far (knock on wood), my 2003 Volvo XC90 T6's transmission seems fine.

COMMENTS:

(1.) It would appear that the GM transmission in T6 Volvo XC90's is prone to premature failure. Unfortunately, we don't know how prevalent the problem is. Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Honda, Toyota -- you name it -- have their share of "lemon"-related problems and also often drag their feet.

(2.) I strongly agree with host STEVE (message #79) that, "Class action suits aren't so appealing if the lawyers make millions and the consumers get a $500 coupon off a new Volvo."

Remember what happened when CBS-TV's "60 MINUTES" fabricated the Audi "unintended acceleration" problem? Audi values nose-dived. Lawyers made millions, but Audi owners got nothing more than vouchers.

From personal experience, as a former stockholder, I was involved in a couple of "class action" lawsuits -- one for General Public Utilities (of Three Mile Island fame), the other for TYCO International (of Dennis Kozlowski fame). In the case of General Public Utilities, I lost about $3,000. Know what I got from the "class action" lawsuit? $2.31! In the more recent case of TYCO International, I lost a lot more money. When I got the "class action" lawsuit packet, I spent hours going through it to make sure it was even worth participating. Based upon the info provided by the lawyers, I calculated that I should get back about $2,000 or so if I partcipated. Perhaps more, perhaps less. So I went through the hassle of filling out all the paperwork, providing all the necessary documentation, sending a change of address letter when I moved, etc. Just a few months ago, I received a "settlement" letter. Guess what it said? There would be no checks issued for less than $10 and, since my settlement amount (which was never specified) was less than $10, I was getting nothing. Zilch!

"Class action" lawsuits sound nice ... sound tough. "We're not gonna take it any more", etc. But CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Personally, what I think we need to do is not enrich some lawyer(s) through a "class action" lawsuit, but get Volvo to:
    (a.) Recall all their XC90 T6's;
    (b.) Replace all XC90 T6 transmissions and radiators, etc. free of charge;
    (c.) Provide for free loaners while the work is being done; and
    (d.) Reimburse XC90 T6 owners who have already paid for such work (and related expenses) out of their own pockets.

This is the right thing for Volvo to do -- most important ethically, but also from a long-term business point of view. Personally, I love my XC90 -- its styling (still fresh after 6 years; how often can you say that?); its safety features (current T6 transmission problem notwithstanding); its overall features and solidity; etc. I want a good reason to consider another Volvo in the future, as do (I suspect) several others in this forum.

REQUEST FOR ADVICE:

As I said, the transmission on my 2003 Volvo XC90 T6 with 56,500 miles seems to be fine. I had the 52,500 miles service done early -- at 50,000 miles (just before I moved from Wisconsin to Florida) -- and had an oil change a couple of days ago -- just before I stumbled upon this forum. Both were done at Volvo dealers.

I was planning on going up north (Illinois, Michigan, etc.) for a few weeks later this month. Having read all the posts in this forum, I've gotten a bit paranoid -- i.e. will my transmission suddenly konk out and the dreaded "TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT" message appear on my instrument panel? I could take my other vehicle, a 2004 Honda Pilot, but -- frankly -- the Honda doesn't feel nearly as solid as the Volvo, does not have the side curtain airbags (despite being a year newer model), is not as comfortable, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and my apologies in advance for taking up so much time and space.

George
  • rginncrginnc Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05' XC90 V8 with 50,200 miles. Took it in 2 months ago with complaint of occasional slip in transmission. I occas hear and feel a "clunk" underneath the car but other than that it does not give me any problems. Nothing was found but they did a software upgrade. It still clunks but it may occur 3x in a day or 3x in 2 weeks. Knowing my warrantee was expiring I took it back in and they could not reproduce the problem so there is nothing they can do. They car is fine but I am worried that this may be the first sign of future problems. They did say that since we took it in while the warrantee was in place and it is a documented complaint - if something happens Volvo should be able to help (whatever that means).

Any other comments on the first symptoms others have had or does this sound like a transmission problem?

Not sure if it is a T5, T6 (not sure what that is). My car is pretty well loaded with options.

Thanks,
    RG
    The V8 on your '05 XC90 is a Yamaha engine. It is not turbocharged. The transmission problems related to in this forum have been primarily with the T6 (turbocharged 6-cylinder) engine.
  • rginncrginnc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks yurko
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    A "clunk" is not necessarily a transmission problem, Could be motor mounts, tranny mount, u-joint, etc.
  • XC90broknheartXC90broknheart Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure if anyone would care, but I just found out that the 2003 Volvo XC90 is acceptable for the "Cash for Clunkers" incentive. Please do not take offense to this as I know that there are people that do not agree with this program but for me, it's a way out to dump this crappy car that I so regret purchasing just 8 months ago! I hope to anyway..... :lemon:

E.Martinez
  • dnap_10583dnap_10583 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone want to share how they got there dealer or Volvo to pay for a new tranmission on their 2005 XC 90. I plan on being a squeaky wheel -- but for now, I have no car, waiting to hear from the Volvo Service Dealer and the $$$$ -- so I need help and how to proceed on aleast getting the dealer to split the cost.

As all of you, I have had numerous problems with the XC 90, front end clunking and grinding, along with three sets of badly worn tires, other issues too numerous to list. I do not want to put my too small children in this car because I am afraid at any moment the car will die on the highway.

Advice?
  • ehslenoxehslenox Member Posts: 5
    It would help to know where you are. My car was serviced at NorthPoint Volvo, Roswell, GA. After my outrage at having to have the transmission replaced at under 60,000 miles (over $5,000), they called Volvo and Volvo picked up 75% of the cost of the new one. One big problem was that it took them nearly a month to get the new one, thus leaving me without a car. Volvo said that they would also pick up 75% of the cost of a rental but I was able to manage without it.

The reports on what owners have had to pay out-of-pocket are all over the place, but this was my experience.

Sad thing is that my 2004 XC90 has been my all-time favorite car! I've had several Volvo wagons, before, and have been a very loyal Volvo customer. I have loved driving the XC90 - that is, until the "Transmission Service Urgent" light came on. I was even toying with the idea of buying a new 2010 when that happened. And, now.....

I'm spending the summer about 1,000 from home and just hope my drive back goes without inccident.
    Hi,

What I did, six months ago, that was successful was to file a complaint on line with Volvo, the NTSB, your state's Consumer Protection, and your state's Attorney General. I would also let Volvo know your complaining to each of these agencies, as I believe, it will help. I agree with the other post, that I was without my Volvo for a month back in Feb 2009-but I had a spare car to drive-thank God. It took that long to get it fixed, but it was all done without a charge, so well worth it to me.

I hope this helps. Keep your mantra, Complain, Complain, Complain. Volvo should be at the very least issuing recalls or not giving customers a hard time when this dreaded ck engine lite comes on.

Let me know if you need more info, but this worked for me, and since I've posted what I did, it helped seven other people-that's my count so far....
    So best of luck, and keep persevering!

Lisa
  • luvmyvolvoluvmyvolvo Member Posts: 10
    My '04 XC90 T6 failed at 45K and was out of warranty by a year. I did purchase an extended warranty when I bought the car new, but the dealer said they replaced the transmission, radiator, and various hoses under the "Volvo's Good Faith or Good Will" guideline.
    I have been servicing my car at the same dealership where I bought it and I've paid for every recommended service including the transmission flush that may have caused the transmission failure 2 days later. I didn't even have to argue, I simply towed the car there and told them I have an extended warranty. It sounds like some dealerships are footing the bill for customers loyal to the dealership. Maybe someone will be successful in an individual lawsuit and the bad press will change Volvo's business practices.
    I agree with previous posts about contacting your elected officials, Volvo Corp. and the NHTSA about the safety issues surrounding this vehicle.

My family has owned 5 Volvo's and the XC90 has been a pleasure to drive, but the cost of repairs/maintenance is brutal. Good luck!!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925
    but for me, it's a way out to dump this crappy car that I so regret purchasing just 8 months ago!

Unless your XC90 has an unbelievable number of miles on it, it is worth more than the $3500-$4500 the government will give you for it via the C4C program.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pistopl1pistopl1 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2005 v8. Mine has about 52K on it now but my transmission has slipepd from 2nd to 3rd gear since I bought it with about 45K on it. I asked Volvo the first time and they did some software upgrade and said corporate suggests maybe doing a trans. fluid flush. I never did the flush but then asked the service dept. at around 49K miles to look again and they said they did see anythign wrong and to try the flush. They basically told me the computer doesnt show anythign wrong so you jsut have to deal with it. I am going to ask them to look again when I go in for 53K service. I have an aftermarket extended warranty but the slipping in constant, not jsut a couple time a month.
    Thank your lucky stars you have an after market warranty. And there are NOT supposed to be any transmission flushes needed. I did it and then that's when my tranny started really slipping badly-that is unless you want it to happen more frequently. I would let your dealer know you intend to complain to everyone in the State that you live in addition to Volvo, and the National Transportation Safety Board, and potentially claims against the dealership for their poor response. I'd love a video of their response to that one. If your talking to a Service Writer, I used to be one a long time ago, they should immediately get their general manager. Then deal with only that person going forward, forgo the middleman in other words. Good luck and don't feel bad about pushing. We shouldn't have to shell out thousands on top of car payments and insurance for a poor Volvo choice in transmissions.
    Keep me posted if you need anything else.

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • bertsxc90bertsxc90 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2003 XC90 T6. One of the first off the boat, December 2002, I believe it was the 2nd boat with XC90s (the 3rd sank in the English Channel).

The first tranny went around 36K, slipping gears, slow shifts, etc. Replaced with a rebuilt, since that is all that is available, luckily under the Volvo warranty.

The second tranny went this past March, at around 80K, in a spectacular fashion and ground the gears up. They could barely get it on to the roll-back truck. Replaced this time under a GEICO extended warranty, lucky again for the warranty coverage.

I came home July 5th to find a lake (not a puddle) under the XC90 in our garage. They said that the pan bolts were stripped and that caused it. I screamed and they replaced tranny number 3 with tranny number 4 after a month's wait to get a "reliable" rebuilt. They said that they replaced the tranny and the radiator with with rebuilt equipment, again, since that is all that is available, but all is fixed.

NOW.... this morning... my wife picks up the completed car from the dealer and on the way home.... not 15 miles from the dealer.... the "Urgent, Transmission Service Required!" light comes on. What is with this?!?!?!?!

Volvo keeps trying to say that it is the 2003 and 2004 GM transmissions that they used. Well, step up and take some responsibility for your design and equipment choices. This is the third Volvo we have had since 1992 and I would gladly take our old 960 wagon back which just passed 230K (my bother-in-law is still driving that one).

The dealer is coming to pick this pile of metal up this afternoon and give us another Volvo loaner (negotiated when we purchased the car) and it is now their move. My "Irish" is up and they have 48 hours to solve this situation before I go totally corporate, governmental, and media on them. They won't like me when I'm mad and I have been VERY reasonable and patient with them up to this point.

I have had previous run-ins with 3 other Fortune 1000 corporations over the past 10 years and those three corporations did not like the experience. Two of them use it as a consumer training exercise and example. You see, when I am this upset I look at it as a sport or a very expensive game that I now have nothing to loose and they have there entire reputation and corporate image to try to salvage and protect. (Don't get me wrong, we love our dealership, they are in the middle of this, but it is time for them to go to bat for us against Volvo and choose a side.)

I will not be dealing with Volvo Consumer Relations from this point on, I go straight to the Executives (Chairman, SVPs, and VPs) and the Board of Directors. They really hate getting e-mails, calls, and registered letters from a long and valued customer. They are about to experience a new lesson in customer dis-satisfaction and how the media, government, and internet can be an asset or their worst nightmare. Stay tuned... I'm good at this and Yes, I can be bought into silence, if they make the right deal.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Unless your XC90 has an unbelievable number of miles on it, it is worth more than the $3500-$4500 the government will give you for it via the C4C program.

Agreed, something doesn't add up here.
    And I thought I was a bulldog! Good for you and keep us all posted!!! Most of us are on our second, third, and some, such as yourself, fourth transmission. Any of us who have had Volvo kindly replace our tranny's worry horribly how long they will last. I would love to trade mine in, but I'm afraid it won't go far. I think your on the right track though and wonder if Volvo would make exceptions for those of us who have already had one or two tranny's replaced?

Please, please keep us posted, and don't forget to register the complaint with NTSB-or their board b/c they can put pressure on Volvo as well..

Lisa

laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • 619sdbolts619sdbolts Member Posts: 2
    I took my volvo in two days ago and expect to get my Volvo back in two days. took mine to a St. louis dealer with the dreaded transmission service light and they called Volvo and got the green light to replace the tranny, radiator, cooling lines and the software upgrade. the problem has been with the software and the timing of the shifting. the upgraded trannys from what the mechanic told me should alleviate this problem, however volvo is stepping up if you have 60K miles or so. they are picking up the entire cost. I got lucky. I did all teh factory mx on time. I also did some praying they would pick it up at no cost. for those that are in a similar position, have your dealer contact volvo US. They should be picking up the tab. A $45K plus vehicle should not have a tranny go out at 60K miles. I will most likely sell mine and get a nissan pathfinder. Good luck all.
    Good to hear your outcome. Maybe this is the start of a new policy on the part of Volvo.

You state Volvo "is stepping up if you have 60K miles or so, they are picking up the entire cost."

QUESTION:
    Did you have to go through the hassle and delays of formal complaints (as mentioned by others in this forum), or was this handled smoothly between your Volvo dealer and Volvo USA -- as it should have been?

Did you get any feedback from your dealer or Volvo on whether Volvo is thinking of replacing tranny's on vehicles that haven't failed yet?

Thanks.
    Hi,

I'm the one who started all these complaints, let my dealer where I purchased my car know I would make more of a stink if I had to. They then let the local Volvo dealer know and low and behold had it taken care of for free, after paying hundreds for a tranny flush that I shouldn't have had to had done. I've tried selling my car to no avail, and wonder if I have any chance to pay off my loan if I trade it in.....

Lisa
  • bigbirdabigbirda Member Posts: 1
    Greeetings all, very thankful to have a forum like this one to share the pain. Purchased new 2004 xc90 in Dec2003. Loved the car. Had to replace the transmission under warranty at ~36k mi. Now has 73k & needs another one. A car shouldn't be needing a new tran, let alone now a 3rd. After some delay, Volvo agreed to replace the tran, but nothing else (cooling lines, etc.. as they found no radiator chemical or metal in the pan). I like the car, but the reliability and cost of ownership has me greatly concerned on whether to rid this lemon. I intended to at least keep it 10yrs, but at this rate don't think that's a possibility. The dealership has been good to work w/ and luckily is only a mile from my home. They have provided a loaner as well after waiting for a wk. It appears that these tranny's are on back-order and I'm looking at ~2wks. Thanks again for the posts.

_Mike
  • fay55fay55 Member Posts: 1
    I am reading this forum today. I am to pick up my Volvo XC90. First time, a service and diagnostic ($450) but told them I was having problem with it not going in gear after a stop. After picking it up, the red ! light kept continued coming on when I got it back. When I would go to pass or pull out, it would not "go" and it was stuck in gear. then it would roar forward. This presented a driving danger so I called the service manager and told him I was afraid to drive back to the dealership (50 miles away.) I had to rent a car for 9 days as I was going on vacation. After picking up again, it did it again. I asked them to tow the car in. They called and said it was the transmission. That Volvo was going to pay for it since 2003 with only 65,000 miles. I just thought this was grand! It has been 3 weeks. It is ready but I told him that the blower motor on the AC/ Heat has made a roaring noise since I had the car. He said it would be $1400 and to just wait for it to go out. I also, notice an extremely hot dashboard since I had it. Just thought it might be the radio. I have now heard of many stories of people with this same car, having the same issues. One told me he had to have 4 transmissions put in his XC90! Please advise as I will be seeing the serviceman this week.
  • wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    Hello recall5. Count me in on the no cost recall transmission fix. I too have a 2004, XC90 T6 AWD. Bought it used 1 yr ago at 94K. Now it's at 126K and what a lot of trips to the dealer and a local mechanic who knows and works with Volvo cars,suvs etc. Recently my daughter called me from 1 hr. away and said the "transmission in need of urgent service" message came on. Towed to the dealer(a big$ one) and got the tragic, but apparently, all too common news: need a complete tranny replacement for the estimated cost of $7950.00 (Cdn) !!Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! There are too many other problems to mention in detail:
    *constant battery drain, and subsequent issues related,
    *costly tows to dealer and local mechanic,
    *replaced key ignition cartridge (it actually began seizing up...wear and tear?! joking?
    *replace tie rods as a result of too many tows,
    *transmission slippage
    *now apparently needing a full transmission replacement!!

I drove a lowly 1993 Camry LE problem-free for 16 blissful years prior to purchasing my, "Volvo for life" upgrade :sick: I finally laid it to rest after the tranny failed at 400,000 kms. :P I never knew I had it so good; and you won't either until you buy a Volvo :lemon: I'm presently waiting on Volvo Canada to address my latest tranny issue. Please keep me posted. Have you addressed Sweden Volvo directly about your problems? Maybe there's some hope there.
    Cheers,
    WasagaBeach,
    CDA
    Please keep me posted
  • baudelbaudel Member Posts: 1
    Hi, am in Monterrey Mexico, I I bought a XC90 15 days ago, with 62k km, (40k miles) already appeared to me mensage to check urgent trasmision, that I must make to make the claim to Volvo?
    Tks in advacne
  • samservicesamservice Member Posts: 1
    ;) I run an independent service center and have seen many of these xc90's in need of transmissions. I have referred the owners back to the local volvo dealer seeking assistance.
    The results have been beyond their expectations. Volvo has replaced the transmission, radiator, oil cooler and lines in all cases at no charge.
    The only issue has been the wait since there was a problem with inventory.
  • brig4brig4 Member Posts: 1
    Does there seem to be anything that can be done with these Transmissons that will help get a little longer life out of them. From all the posts that I have read it looks like a Trans flush is a big No No.
    Also do the failures seem to occur with a particular engine, or is it happening with all the differant engines sizes.
    Just wanted to let forum folks know that Wasagabeach's tranny is in the shop at 126k and is being replaced (with improvements) locally for a 1/3 the price quoted by Volvo dealership in Toronto GTA . They quoted approx. $7950.00 and a local quote is approx. $2800.00. Volvo Cda said, "they couldn't do anything for me" basically because I didn't have a history with a local Volvo dealership. Same comment came from the dealership in Thornhill, On. Cda. The place where it's being repaired says they see this same GM transmission in their shop atleast 1/week. I hope the improvements mean they won't see me for a long time!
    Cheers,
    wasagabeach
  • xlindicaxlindica Member Posts: 1
    So I came ot this website desperatley looking for some answers to my problem. And I found it shocking how many people had the same problem. I sat up for an hour reading everyones posts and how they have been going about solving the problem. I contacted laws65, and she was very helpful with tips on how to get volvo to pay for the whole thing. So here is what you do, and what worked for me about 2 days ago.

1. Go to a dealer and get them to give you a diagnosis and estimate on how much the full thing is going to cost.
    2. Go to volvousa.com and send them and email explaining what the problem is and how you read up on the problem, and know that they do a so called "good will" service, for free.
    3. Volvo should call you back in a few hours. They called me 2 hours after getting my email, and the next day to tell me they have approved the whole $8500 fix for free. So now Im just waiting for the dealer to get the parts and fix the problem free of charge.

My car was purchased used at 45K , and now is at 69K, and they know this is a problem apparently because they were VERY willing to do this free of charge. So the lesson is, research, call, complain, and you will get your problem fixed, as it should be. I do have to say even though I am probably going to end up trading in the car of fear of this happening again, I am super satisfied that Volvo is standing by their product and is admitting that they made a inferior product. Good job them as far as that goes. GOOD LUCK!!
    Hi,

So VERY glad things worked out well for you. That totals eight people so far! The main thing is to put your complaint in writing! Great job!

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • dznjdznj Member Posts: 7
    I have been aware of the T6 trans issue for a while. At 50K, I pulled the pan, changed the filter and fluid. The color of the fluid was not good, and there were some (but not a lot) of shavings on the magnet in the pan. After swapping the filter, did a whole flush to get all new fluid in there. At 62K (last week) wife was driving the car, when the dreaded "Service Transmission Urgent" came up. She brought it right home. I brought it up to my mechanic, fearing the worst. It was shifting harder than usual (I think) and felt like there was no lock-up from the TC. We checked the fluid, which looked nice and clean. Added 1 quart, and cleared the code. Test drive showed it to be ok again. She drove it the rest of the week, and I drove it yesterday with no ill effects. Probably the beginning of the end, but worth noting to double check the fluid level with the car running on level ground.

I was more than a little concerned because the day before this happened, the car showed a "low coolant" message. I added coolant/water, and the message went away. Then, when the trans message came up, I was thinking that I now knew where the coolant went :cry: . But, from the looks of it, that wasn't the case.

Time will tell. The car has been great, except for the looming transmission issue.
  • kogimlikogimli Member Posts: 1
    one year ago ,I bought a premiun 2005 volvo xc90 with 41,000 km . the vehicle now has 58,700 km and is in excellent cond ,except it is leaving a small oil spot on my garage floor just below the trans . as the only volvo dealer in wpg is 12 km away ,I took the vehicle into the shop were i get my oil changed .they advised me that the trans housing was leaking oil. I took it to the volvo dealer and was advised that the warranty had expired in june 2009,and they could do nothing for me .So i called VOLVO customer service line and spoke to a service relations person .They said that they would get back to me the next day but did not call ,so 3 days later i called them .they advised me that they were not prepared to assist me in any way to repair the problem . the trans works perfect ,however i stopped to drive the vehicle as i know it must be getting low on fluid .Volvo dealer wants 1200.00 to fix the repair and a trans shop wants 800.00. the origional warranty is 4 year 80,000 km .I know the time has passed but there is 20,000 km left on the warranty .Is this common for volvo to be so rigid on their factory defects . because i put low km on my vehicle ,i had a similar problem on a GM vehicle , and GM paid 50% of my repair .Do the north american manufacturers normally treat their customes better ? KAREN OLSON
  • ssolanossolano Member Posts: 1
    I am second owner of a 2003 XC90 with 84k miles on it. The car is all that I expected and loved it ..........before this issue.
    Can someone tell me how to get Volvo to step up and fix the problem? Initial reaction from the local dealer is "there is nothing they can do".
  • jpgardellajpgardella Member Posts: 7
    In June '09 my 'Trans. Service Urgent' light came on I had 120k on my '04 XC90. I called Volvo corporate and they said I needed the dealer to perform diagnostics ($100-200 estimate). I asked the dealer what the chances of Volvo doing anything for a vehicle with this many miles on it. The dealer did not rule it out but kept saying 'that's a lot of miles'. The dealer also said it would be approx $4000 for a rebuilt tranny and a 3-4 week lead time for them to repair. (not very encouraging). I also got an estimate from a local transmission shop. I decided to save on the diagnostic fee and go with the local shop because I had no faith that Volvo would provide any help and I did not have the time to haggle with them. Local repair shop was $3000 with 18 month warranty. You may have better luck based on the milage...I decided to cut my losses with Volvo
  • vdriver1vdriver1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XC 90 T6 with 52,000 miles which I purchased new. I perform all scheduled maintenance and the car has performed great...until recently...the transmission started slipping. The problem unfortunately occurs in and around intersections when it is necessary to accelerate briskly etc. After researching this issue on the internet and discussing the problem with a local mechanic, I learned that my experience was common with other owners. This is my third Volvo and never have I experienced such a problem with a major (critical) automotive component. I took the car into the dealer (Field's Volvo near Chicago). The car was given diagnositc testing. The result...a bad tranny. The dealer was first class and is having Volvo take care of the problem (as it should!) without any questions or push back. My confidence in the brand has been shaken but I would consider buying a fourth Volvo someday...depending how the new tranny works out!
    Hi,
    I am very happy to hear that the Volvo dealer worked so well with you, without too much fuss! Most of us haven't been so fortunate. My new transmission was given a one year, unlimited mileage warranty, but I feel like it still isn't right. But time will tell. I am on my second Volvo, have loved the cars, until like you and the rest of us, this major critical malfunction. Best of luck to you, and let us know if you run into any issues, I'm sure a bunch of us would do what we could to help!
    Take care.

Lisa
  • ehslenoxehslenox Member Posts: 5
    Your experience and mine are nearly identical (though my dealer did not foot the entire bill!). Same slipping and ...new transmission. After reading all these messages, I worry that it could happen again.

I have really loved this car (my third Volvo turbo) and was getting interested in buying a new one right about the time this all happened. The car's resale is already discounted for this problem and I will have to "disclose" and take a bath selling it just so someone else isn't victimized by the tranny. I am just so, so disappointed in Volvo.
    Hi there vdriver; just read you mail on your tranny problem at 52k. Very disappointing but even more unfortunately, typical for this model. Fortunately for you, you bought new and the dealer has come through for you. My case was different having bought the same model at 94k from an auto wholesaler who picks up off lease vehicles and sales them for very good prices. NA volvo said they "couldn't" do anything for me because I wasn't tied in with a local dealer long enough for their liking. They quoted a price of $7950.00 to replace the tranny!! incredible! fortunately for me, I found a reputable local mechanic who rebuilt, repaired and improved upon this poor GM transmission with better parts for $2500.00 that will allow it to run much cooler approx 20 - 30% cooler. It was replaced at 124K. I'll keep you posted. This tranny is infamous and there are actually better replacement parts available on the market to the savvy mechanics who take an interest in improving the lot of misfortunate Volvo owners.
    Cheers,
    Wasagabeach
  • kari4kari4 Member Posts: 15
    now that we have these crap cars, how do we get rid of them?? I am looking at replacing the transmission for a SECOND time in my '04 T6 and am ready to just take it to a field and burn it.
    How do we get this lemon of our hands?? I am at this point looking at selling it to a parts shop. :lemon: