Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• kschnitzkschnitz Member Posts: 5
    Hi...I'm glad to hear that you were successful in getting your new transmission. I am having the same problem with my 05 T6. It has 70,000 miles and the transmission has been slipping now for about 6 months. When I took it to the dealer for a check and they wrote that the transmission is slipping in low gear but that the computerized diagnostics didn't show a code that would verify it. I contacted Volvo Customer Service via a written complaint and the answer from them was that nothing could be done until the transmission actually dies. Did your transmission actually go out before they agreed to fix it? I know it's just a matter of time but I hate driving around with my daughter in the car not knowing if I'm going to be stranded.

Kim
  • jkormjkorm Member Posts: 2
    Last week I got the dreaded "Urgent Transmission Service" message and my trans felt like it was stuck in one gear. I bought the car used a few months ago..has 70K on it. I was shocked at the high prevalence of this issue as I read through everyone's posts, however I also found valuable information. When I took the car to the Volvo dealership the next day, I awaited the diagnosis and yes I needed a new trans. I told the service manager that I was aware of problems with this trans and told him I wanted to call Volvo for their "good will" service. He said he had a contact, would let me know in a few hours and sent me off with a loaner. I decided to call Volvo directly a few hours later after not hearing from the dealer and to my surprise they called me back in 20 MINUTES to tell me everything was being paid for 100%.
    The sad part though is that I'm getting the SAME faulty trans installed. I'm planning to keep the car for another year or so then offload it. Apparently this is not an issue in 2006 - current models.

Overall I am very happy that Volvo stepped up to cover this, even though it's not in warranty and the fact that I bought the car used didn't seem to matter.
  • travislytravisly Member Posts: 1
    I got the same "Urgent Transmission Service" and it turned out to be the bad tranny. The dealer did get the new one replaced GOOD WILL and I had to pay the computer SW upgrade ($190). I hope this one will last for a couple of years. It was especially painful since I've just replaced the failed fuel pump at 79K, Volvo had extended to feul pump warranty til 70K, but no luck for me ($1200 repair bill) :sick:
  • imurrayimurray Member Posts: 2
    Hi Wasagabeach - I am in Mississauga and wanted to know the name of your local repair shop - I too am in the same boat - '04 Volvo XC90 T6 with tranny message - $5K to repair/rebuild. I'd rather bring it up to Wasaga and get it repaired than pay Volvo for a problem they know exists in the tranny! Cheers.
  • wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    Hello imurray,
    >
    > The shop is called, Baywash Auto Repair, 2880 6th Line,
    > RR#2, Collingwood On.,
    >
    > L9Y 3Z1, and ask for Mike. You may
    > also want to ask for a towing service named, AR Towing,
    Wasaga Beach (owners Earl & Shirley Dahmer on Wildwood Dr).
    >
    >
    > They're great; honest reliable folks.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Wasagabeach
  • jkormjkorm Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention...Volvo not only covered the cost for replacing the transmission, but also the front axle, radiator and all lines. There is no warranty other than a standard 90 day issued with the repair, which originally caused me concern given the fact that I thought the transmission was faulty (meaning it would go again in another 50-75K miles).
    However, the service manager told me the root cause (as determined by Volvo "forensics") of the transmission going on these models was actually the axle (which is why they replaced mine). Apparently, the original axle was hollow and there is a plug on the driver side that, due to bad design, comes out. This causes the trans fluid to run through the axle, picking up the grease from the bearings and everything else.
    They replaced this axle with a new design, that is solid, so there is no chance of this occurring again. I was happy to hear this because I couldn't believe Volvo would replace everything but not fix the underlying cause for the trans going.
    Make sure you get the axle replaced and it must be the new design (solid) otherwise your trans will go again in the future.
  • jbs05jbs05 Member Posts: 13
    I just got my 05 xc90 back last week after being in the volvo repair for almost 2 weeks. It has less than 42000 miles on it. Transmission was leaking and also got into the axel. Had to have both the transmission and the axel replaced. Repairman made it sound like this is something unusual.

Luckily, I have an extended warranty and all but $200 was covered BUT ALL is not well!!! Otherwise the bill was $7800.

The “new” transmission software is NOT allowing the car to downshift at 1500 RPMs. It gets into this sluggish state and I have to step on the gas to get the RPMs up to be in the right gear. This should not happen.

After speaking with the volvo repair, they say that nothing can be done since the “software” is set by the manufacturer and they can not change it.

My question to you guys is is the new transmission/axel replacement any better or am I going to have to go throught this again in the not too distant future?

(I do not know if the replacement was a hollow or solid axel. I did have to pay $100 extra for the volvo one verses the rebuilt one. I did not know how wide this problem was until yesterday so did not ask these questions when it was in the shop.)
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    I've not heard of this axel issue tied to the transmission issue at all before. What's odd though is that I've heard of both as separate issues. I'm on my second tranny, and it still doesn't feel right-I'm just hoping if it goes, it goes before the year warranty is up and that it would be a covered expense again. My downshifts really funny going uphill, seems to downshift many times while my foot is on the gas steadily and not moving. I'm also told no matter how much I baby it, it will still go, so time will tell.

If others have been told of the tie between the axel and tranny, I'd love to hear the stories!

Thanks for the info

Lisa
  • jnjdennisjnjdennis Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 -T6 AWD with 65,000 miles. The car has been serviced regularly. Three days ago it began to make a noise, but nothing major. The car then quit running. It has been diagnosed with a total transmission failure. The car has been towed to a Volvo dealership and I have opened a case with the Volvo Customer Service (1-800-458-1552). Volvo is now suppose to be speaking with the dealership. How do I ensure that Volvo assist in this problem. The car is only 15,000 miles out of factory warranty. There should be no reason that a Volvo car should have a total transmission failure at 65,000 miles. The dealership also mentioned that the radiator would need replacing due to the metal shavings in it. I see that this issue seems prevalent. Any advice or have I taken the right steps? Jeremy
    Jeremy,

Welcome to the unfortunate club known as the XC 90 transmission failures.

First, complain to Volvo and put it in writing-can do it online.
    Second, same thing to the NTSB.
    Third, online complaint to your state's Atty General
    Fourth, online complaint to your state's Consumer Protection.

Then let Volvo know all the people you are complaining to as this shouldn't have happened and you are fully aware Volvo is replacing these transmissions and radiators, including cooling lines for free.

See how that works, and keep us posted on your progress! Best of luck!
    So far, this has worked for nine people, and myself as well!

Lisa
    I asked earlier in the text of my parargraph but it may have been missed.

Does anyone know if the "NEW" transmissions are any better than the "old" transmissions? Is this just a bandaid?

Even after the new transmission/axel work is completed, I still have shift problems at 1500 RPMs. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • ygantsygants Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all. I have just spent the last hour reading all these messages about this dreaded transmission. I never would have thought that a volvo, a brand that prides itself on durable vehicles would allow something like this. My wife is the proud owner of a 2004 T6 XC90 and the "Urgent-Service Transmission" light just came on about two days ago while she was picking up our children from school. It seems to drive fine one minute then sluggish the next. I called my Volvo dealer and have an appointment for a diagnostic test for Monday morning. I also spoke with their head mechanic and he confirmed that these transmissions are problematic. Aside from the axle issues that I ready about, the trans cooler in the radiator tends to leak into the transmission and the trans fluid becomes contaminated by the anti-freeze. He said that he would perform a glycol test to see if that is also the issue. I assume that is why some may of the radiators have been replaced as well. My vehicle just turned 72K and of course is out of warranty. This is out fifth Volvo and the third from this dealership and this vehicle has been serviced by them exclusively since new so I am hoping that they will take good care of me.

Thanks for all your advice. I will use it all wisely and hope this issue gets resolved under their "Good Will" service. Then, I'll see what I can do to trade out of this thing since as you have all pointed out, it is not a matter of if this will happen again, but when!

Wish me luck! :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it all turns out. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gu_gonggu_gong Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have the similiar experience. I bought my 2003 XC-90 T6 one month ago and yesterday it was showing "transmission service urgent" on the dash board while it stucks in 3rd gear. I believe that I am having the same experience of tranny problem as thousands of other T6 owners. I haven't towed my car to local volvo dealers (which is really far away) yet but I think what is most likely to happen, according to people's comments, is that I will be asked to replace the entire transimission system at a cost more than $7,000. I bought this car because I had strong belief in Volvo's reputation, "Safe and Sound". But I'm really disappointed about the broken transimission after only ONE MONTH of purchase.
  • dznjdznj Member Posts: 7
    Mine apparently bought the farm today. I had (about 2 months ago) gotten the code, but reset it after adding some trans fluid. Today, the car hung in high gear and could barely take my wife across an intersection. Met up with her and we limped it home. Made the appointment to bring it to the dealer tomorrow. I will talk to them before contacting Volvo USA. 65K miles, 04 T6. I had already changed the filter and fluid at 50K. It didn't smell too good today :(
  • imurrayimurray Member Posts: 2
    Gu_Gong keep us in the loop... I got the error message about 3 weeks ago and did the same as you - reset after top up with tranny fluid. I'm interested to know how the Volvo dealership treats you. I'm at 140K and will be on eggshells for the next 5 plus weeks wondering if the transmission is going to do the Volvo shuffle! good luck tomorrow.
  • bertsxc90bertsxc90 Member Posts: 2
    Jeremy,

I am sorry to hear that you have joined the club. Volvo has sworn over-and-over that the transmission problem was limited to the 2003 through 2005 models. They send they re-designed them and stopped getting them from GM in 2005. I guess not, now that the 2006's are getting up in years and mileage.

Good luck with Volvo Cars of North America, we have one of the first 2003 XC90s and we are on our 5th transmission in under 90,000 miles. Our dealership (in Falls Church, VA) is the one that has gone to bat for us each time and Volvo has been useless, all talk and no action.

Please keep us informed.
    Jmurray - It's dead. Brought it to the dealer this AM. Will let you know what turns up.
  • seminolegeeseminolegee Member Posts: 1
    Well yesterday my wife got the Dreaded "Transmission service Urgent" message. Since I had just had my 2004 XC90 T6 68k miles in the Dealer for some minor work and Oil Change, I knew it had to be something very out of the ordinary. I read thru dozens of post here and elsewhere and was prepared for the worst.

I called Volvo to see if they would open a case before I went to the dealer, they took the information looked up the VIN and told me the Dealer should be able to help me. They "didn't believe" I would have a problem. The car has been maintained at the same dealer I ordered it from new.

My service rep who I have dealt with told me the whole sorry story, then advised me I would have to get the software update. Cost $160.00. After the update it confirmed that I had a bad 4th gear ratio (transmission going to die) and I would be back in ~ 2 months or so. Volvo would pick up the Tab for replacement. Very smooth and no real issues. Car drives fine no slipping, he said it would. Also said many customers have been less than nice. I feel his pain this dealer is in a pretty well to do area. Now I am pissed about the $160 for software update!
    I am sure Volvo has ran the numbers and even if someone gets KILLED because their Tranny slips and they get run over, the MILLIONS they would pay is still cheaper then many thousands of replaced Transmissions. Sad that companies do business this way. Being in the Aviation business I understand all of this and its just so common, so common.

I was going to sell the car, I'll wait until it gets a new transmission and take to CARMAX. I went thru issues with Land Rover so I won't keep any car past ~80k. Other than this my 2004 XC90 has been a great vehicle.

I'll update you all in a few months when the Tranny dies.
    bertxc90,

Sorry to hear of your transmission troubles-most of us have been there. I agree, unfortunately, if Volvo won't issue a recall-as that would admit a failure-it's easier for companies to deal with the onsie twosie's as they come up. Part of my plan was involving the NTSB-who will record the numbers and could actually have some leverage to get Volvo to do something. I can only hope and pray that a life isn't lost to this issue. I haven't heard of any thus far, thankfully!
    Glad you had no issues dealing with Volvo. I refused to do the transmission upgrade-it sounded silly, and having worked at a dealer in my younger days gave my reasoning, and kept driving it until it got worse. The dealer didn't know how I drove it that way-but the replacement was free. My concern and many of ours is trade in as these are known for transmission failures and what that will do.
    I was hoping the replacement tranny would be the end of the issues, as I've loved mine until this. I even feel issues with the replacement tranny and debate taking it back in, just to have it documented that I complained of trouble under the new wrty-but you know how that can go.
    Best of luck to you!

Lisa
    jbs05,

I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, however, I'm seeing and being told that the replacement tranny's are no better than the originals. Many on this blog are on third and fourth transmissions to no avail!
    I don't think any of us can say with certainty that the replacement will last either-a really unfortunate situation for all of us XC 90 owners....
    Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Lisa
    ygants,

Yes, good luck and please keep us posted on how things turn out! There is more power and voice in sheer numbers! I'll hope the best for you!

Lisa
  • sgerhartsgerhart Member Posts: 1
    For those of you looking for some recourse regarding the dysfunctional transmissions recurrently put in the 2003-2005 Volvo XC90s - see this website to join the class action lawsuit.
    Volvo knew the problem existed very early and continued to replace transmissions with rebuilt and faulty transmissions that had to be replaced again -
    If you are like us, we have spent thousands and tons of time while receiving horrible service. I know we are not alone - I have found hundreds of blogs and complaints -
    Our car is sitting idle, undrivable now and the dealer is stating we need to put the 3rd tranny in for a mere $6400.00 - not. :mad: :lemon:

http://chimicles.com/case/volvo-xc90-transmission
    After having the transmission replaced two weeks ago, I am taking mine back again to volvo on Monday. As stated previously, the new transmission is not shifting to the right gear at 1500 RPMs. This is now at other speeds such as 45 and 60. I have the feeling they are again going to give it back to me and say that there is nothing that they can do, the computer is pre-set by the manufacturer. I don't buy this at all and feel that I should not have to gun the engine to get the RPMs up so that the engine does not sound like a truck in the wrong gear.
  • jpgardellajpgardella Member Posts: 7
    thanks for the link to the firm leading the class action lawsuit - I joined
    Still waiting to hear from the dealer. I think they are swamped.
  • jnjdennisjnjdennis Member Posts: 3
    Correction, the Volvo XC90 is a 2005. Outstanding news. Volvo had the case opened for 5 days in which they worked with the local Volvo Dealership. Volvo called back on Tuesday and stated they would pay 50% of parts and labor with me picking up the remaining 50%. I called back and stated I was aware of the ongoing issue and asked how they reached the decision to only pay 50% when others had been paid at 100%. The case was re-opened for review. On Thursday (10/22) I received a call from Tracy at Volvo. Volvo is now picking up the entire cost of the transmission and all related items that must be replaced. I could tell from the beginning that the Customer Service rep seemed to be on my side. From my experience, Volvo was very easy to work with but apparently everyone has not been this lucky. Best of luck to everyone experiencing this.
    Got the car back today. Replaced trans, radiator, lines, axle. Didn't charge me a penny. I thank Volvo and my dealer immensely. I didn't have to do a thing!

I think Volvo is owning up to the issue, and taking responsibility. I respect that.

Wife drove the car for the rest of the day, uneventfully.

:shades: :)
    Good to hear things went so well!!!! Hopefully some of the info has been helpful to you!

Lisa
    DZNJ,

Glad things worked out for you as well! It helps to work in numbers! Did they give you an explanation on the axel at all by chance?

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • rgoguenrgoguen Member Posts: 1
    morning fellas I'm new to the tranny boat. However I bought my volvo used for 13000 in PA, 45 days now later and tranmission service urgent light ruined my day. Do you think volvo would cover my defect tranny as third party owner of [non-permissible content removed] tranny syndrome. I believe I will try to jump aboard for class action suit but now my car isnt working. So ? is what is critea for getting volvo to cover tranny and labor I'm broke after i bought dream car. sloshedrob@yahoo.com how does one open a case with volvo/ srry mad questions.

:sick: :sick: :mad:
  • lookingtohelplookingtohelp Member Posts: 7
    Hello All,

There is no reason to join a class action law suit for 2003 - 2005 XC90 T6 Transmissions. Volvo will cover these 100% up to 100,000 miles! This is more than generous! What more can Volvo do? They have admitted to the problem and they will stand behind their product! Stop thinking that Volvo owns your vehicle forever! It's time to take possession of your vehicle. Your retailer is empowered to make this decision on the behalf of Volvo. There is no Extended Warranty, No Recall, just pain good old GOODWILL! So take it for what it is, enjoy the free transmission and stop complaining!
    just p[l]ain good old GOODWILL!

Goodwill is discretionary and probably wouldn't occur at all if people did not speak out. Also, it may not be provided as generously as you may believe.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • XC90broknheartXC90broknheart Member Posts: 4
    Lookingtohelp....

hmm you must work for Volvo.. sorry but the ordeal I have lived with Volvo has been more than enough. I DO accept resposibility for my vehicle but I have had mine LESS THAN ONE YEAR AND IT'S ON IT'S 2ND TRANSMISSION wait I lost count MAKE THAT IT'S 4TH TRANSMISSION since I was not informed that the car was on it's second transmission at the time of purchase.. so please, if you do not agree with the comments and frustrations from the folks that have been more than patient with Volvo like myself, then stay away from forums like these, it doesn't do nobody any good. Oh by the way, my dealership has been disgustingly unprofessional.. maybe you can send some of the good folks from your Volvo dealership over to train those near me.. thanks :lemon: :sick:
  • mpmoorempmoore Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my T6 XC90 in 2004 for well north of $50k it gave me years of unreliable transportation and literally months where it sat in the dealers shop unusable to me (no they did not provide a loaner or pick up my rental car bill). When I had enough and went to trade it in--the value was zero...yes $0.00... unless the new transmission was put it in. Volvo did cover that minus a $300 deductible (?) I did not touch the car again delivered it to where I was purchasing my new vehicle and received $7,500 in trade in. I figured I am owed a min of $25,000 in lost value and another $10,000 in lost and unreliable use. And yes there should be punitive damages as well. I may be wrong but I don't believe Volvo ever admitted responsibility and issued a recall or corrective action. For the record I am by no means litigious and am card carrying capitalist. However,this was bad decisions by this company, it damaged me materially and I, like all the others so injured, should be compensated.
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    Hi, mpmoore.

I totally empathize with you on the hassles you've had. There's no excuse for that.

As for being owed "$10,000 in lost and unreliable use", only you know the true value of that.

However, your reasoning on the trade-in value escapes me. You say you paid "well north of $50K" for your 2004 XC90 T6. When you traded it in, you say you "received $7,500 in trade in. I figured I am owed a min of $25,000 in lost value..." That implies you think your trade-in should have been worth at least $32,500 in total. We're in the 2010 model year now. Regardless of the mileage or make/model, with the possible exception of some "exotic" or extremely limited vehicle, no 6 year old vehicle retains 60-65% of its original price. Not even close.
    No I do not work for Volvo! I do own a 2004 XC90 from day1. I did need a transmission out of warranty and Volvo took care of it 100%. Volvo takes care of owners who buy new and service at their retailers. Why should Volvo help a customer who buys a used car from and Independent and does not service at it's retailers.. Goodwill is meant for loyal customers. Also, you need to remember the T6 XC90 has a GM transmission not a Volvo transmission! Yes, Volvo should have known better than to put a GM transmission in it's SUV but they are not 100% responsible for these problems. GM should take ownership for their faulty design. Check out the GM blogs. GM owner are also complaining about these transmission! I can guarantee you GM is not covering there Transmission under GOODWILL till 100,000 miles?? You also can't blame Volvo for the problems at your dealership! Volvo does not own its retailer's they are all independently owned!
    Blame the ownership for the poor service!!
    but they are not 100% responsible for these problems

Of course they are. They chose to put those transmissions in and they sold it under their own name.

You also can't blame Volvo for the problems at your dealership!

Then by the same token you cannot give credit to Volvo for goodwill at the dealerships. You cannot have it both ways.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • shootmenow1shootmenow1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 XC90 from my son. It has 70,000 miles on it. Volvo put in a new transmission on 03/31/08. That transmission has less than 20,000 miles on it. It is now toast. I called Volvo and they estimate the cost at "at least" $6700, thank you very much. I also own a 2007 C70 Volvo convertible which has had some problems. It has fewer than 20,000 miles on it. I bought these cars based on Volvos reputation. I feel like an idiot. Why in the world would I invest $6700 in a new transmission in a car that has proven to be so unreliable? Did I hear somebody say "Class Action?"
    Do some research. Volvo gave GM the specs for the Transmission they wanted built. GM put a gear in the transmission that could not hold up to the torque Volvo required. Yes i agree they chose the GM transmission and the reason they did is because GM makes the smallest transversely mounted transmission in the industry. This is the only transmission that would fit in the XC90 T6.

Volvo can only recommend to their retailer's how to treat their customer's Volvo does not pay it's retailer for CSI. Once again, Volvo does not own it's retailers.
    But they do provide Goodwill to the retailers customers. The goodwill for the T6 transmission is not coming out of the retailers pocket, it comes from Volvo.

Please get your facts right. You can have it both ways!!
  • bernardbaybernardbay Member Posts: 5
    GM providing Volvo with a transmission that doesn't stand up to the required usage should never be the problem of a consumer. In this case, GM is a supplier to Volvo and if the supplied part doesn't perform as it should base on industry norms then its a concern for us(as consumers).

In simple terms, if we decide to buy say a reputable brand of laptop with a given specification, but the harddisk goes kaput every year. Is that a problem for you as a consumer with the company(or resellers) for that laptop or the original manufacturer/supplier of the part?

We bought a Volvo vehicle and if that vehicle doesn't is flawed due to specific components then it should be rectified or resolved by the manufacture. In which case, early 'solutions' performed by the authorized dealer was a TCM software upgrade (akin to a firmware/driver upgrade on a laptop), its a 'soft' solution which doesn't solve the hardware issue.

Specifically for the XC90 T6, its the transmission. In terms of the hypothetical laptop I've been referring to, the harddisk might not be able to manage the rate data is being read/written to the disk or a heat problem which kills the disk prematurely.

In my view, without providing a permanent fix that resolves the hardware failures, Volvo is not a responsible corporate entity. I own a XC90 T6 now, but I'll never own another Volvo. I seriously have doubts if Volvo ever conducted realistic durability test on the XC90 T6 before releasing the vehicle to the market. Especially when the T6 engine & transmission were taken directly from the S80 T6 which already have seen instances of transmission failures(in a vehicle that weights roughly 1000lbs less and meant for 5 pax) I rest my case.

Bernard
  • agitlitsagitlits Member Posts: 7
    So you are saying that if I didn't buy my XC90 T6 new then I am responsible for the defective transmission?

I bought my XC90 T6 2nd hand when it had 69,000 km on it. After I bought it I did some search and found that my vehicle had already had the original transmission replaced at 48,000 km (not miles)! My volvo has been servied only at the volvo dealership before and since my purchase. So why would I not be eligible for the good will assistance from volvo?

Luckily, in the US the class action has already been filed on Aug 13th and hopefully it will go through for all XC90 owners to sue volvo.

Alex
    Yes i agree they chose the GM transmission...

And that's the end of that story. :)

Please get your facts right. You can have it both ways!!

Which facts would those be? You can't blame Volvo for the behavior of the dealerships or that you give credit to Volvo for the behavior of the dealerships? Those weren't my claims. They were yours. :confuse:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Volvo's warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles. you bought your car at 69,000 miles what do they owe you? Nothing! The goodwill assistance is form VCNA not VCC.

So you must be in the USA to be considered for goodwill!
    The fact are that Volvo's warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles. If your car is out of warranty what does Volvo owe you? Nothing! Did the customer pay for a transmission in warranty? No! Did volvo do the right thing and cover a tranmission under goodwil between 50,000 and 100,000? Yes! What more could you ask?

Answer this question: What other manufacturer would even consider paying for a transmission 100% at 100,000 miles? Come up with an example and proof and I'll stop posting!
  • kdc520kdc520 Member Posts: 1
    I just got the same news on my 2006 Volvo XC90 as well. My car has only 60,000 miles but suddenly my transmission service required light came on yesterday and I took the car immediately to the dealership to find out that I needed an entirely new transmission. Volvo already replaced my radiator while the car was under warranty and i had complained that the transmission seemed to not catch when accelerating but was always told that they checked it out and there was not problem....not that my warranty is up I'm being told I need a whole new transmission.....
  • hoff2248hoff2248 Member Posts: 2
    We just had the Transmission Service Urgent light come on yesterday and the dealer can't get us in until Monday. Our XC90 has 70k miles on it. Is there any hope that we will be covered as the second owner?
    Actually I have an answer from Volvo Australia that good will applies after the warranty expires. But the good will is considered on the case by case basis.

Alex
    Fight for it, if they don't offer to cover 100 % expense straight away. They know it's a manufacturing problem. The number of owners of the vehicle makes no difference to the issue.

Alex
  • pinkydogpinkydog Member Posts: 14
    lookingtohelp: Are you serious? You really don't work for Volvo? Check out these two words: REASONABLE RELIABILITY. Two words that will give Volvo crap during the litigation of the T6 class action suit. Warranty expires at 4 years/50k miles. I agree. And the owner picks up the tab after that, PROVIDED, the car is still working. T6 transmission breaks way before that, meaning the car is dead, unless you want to revive it by paying 20% of the original car value to revive it. And don't give me that "blame the owners for poor maintenance" crap. You have no idea how people took care of their T6's and the transmission still crapped out. Bottom line, the transmission is a bad match for the engine. And that's not the owners' problem. It's Volvo's. So you need to look at Volvo and help them, if you're really "lookingtohelp".