Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• pinkydogpinkydog Member Posts: 14
    Hi lookingtohelp. I have question, who are you to say that there is no reason to join a class action suit for 2003-2005 XC90 T6 transmission? If I were you, I'd help Volvo explain their GOODWILL to the judge and the owners who got shafted by this bad engine/transmission match. FYI, I own a XC90 3.2, but I just can't stand your rhetorics and the way you slam the T6 owners and accuse them of not maintaining their vehicles.
  • lookingtohelplookingtohelp Member Posts: 7
    Never said anything about maintenance! I said Volvo helps customers who are loyal to the retailer by maintaining their vehicle with the retailer. Why should Volvo help a customer who has never seen the inside of a Volvo facility except to ask for a free transmission? I'm not slamming or blaming people for their transmission problems. Volvo is doing the right thing by helping us out. Can't file a class action suit against a company that paid for a transmission for a customer that is out of warranty. When do we as customer's start to take ownership of our vehicles??

Once again, Answer me this question: What other manufacturer would even consider doing this for their customers? I still have no answer.
  • smcleodsmcleod Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jkorm,
    It sounds like I am about to join the "Urgent Transmission Service" club, I had my gearbox serviced 2 weeks at 75,000 with no problems and today the service light is on. Back to the dealer but the car is now of the extended warranty by 1 week. We had the extended warranty as we purchased the car pre-owned from a Volvo dealership.
    Do you know which department at Volvo you spoke to? I will be calling them first thing on Monday.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • geo12723geo12723 Member Posts: 1
    hi I bought a volvo 2003 and it has 52000 miles on it now and the tranny needs to be replaced.I don't know who to contact for help,we just moved to damascus pa and volvo wants 5700.00 to replace the tranny.I have been driving volvos for the past 10 years and have been happy.Is there someone to contact for help.I am so lost on what to do,with a new baby and new job we can't afford to fix the car.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks for any help.e-mail(geogattus@yahoo.com).
    GEO
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    I agree that, if your transmission dies after the warranty expires, your best bet is to appeal directly to Volvo's "goodwill" for 100% coverage on a one-to-one basis. Your chances for success are probably much better if you bought your Volvo from and serviced it regularly at a Volvo dealer. If you bought it used elsewhere and can't document its service history, Volvo has less incentive to extend "goodwill" beyond the warranty period.

For those waiting for a "Class Action Lawsuit" to resolve their problem, don't hold your breath. As I pointed out in great detail in an earlier post (#325), you're apt to get little from such litigation. The lawyers will make it sound like they're on your side. However, the end result will be mega-bucks for them versus only (1) a discount on the repair costs and/or (2) a coupon voucher towards the future purchase of a Volvo for you. I think you're much better off attempting to resolve the problem on your own -- getting 100% of the cost covered versus pennies on the dollar.
  • terminalacterminalac Member Posts: 1
    Hey people, long story but I'll try to make it short.

We purchased one of the original XC90 T6's. We love the car (great utility). Given, I'm the son of an auto mechanic and I'm also an engineer, I know to LISTEN to your car to make sure all is well. My wife is the primary driver of the car, but she'll just drive for miles without detecting strange noises to give her a clue that something is wrong with the vechile. So, whenever I do get an opportunity to drive it, I would listen to it for troubling sounds.

Well the car would always make weird noises at the front, driver side. We serviced the car EXCLUSIVELY with Volvo. This has gone on for as long as we've owned the vehicle. Volvo would replace axle bearings, bushings, sway bar bushings, etc. etc. Most of it under warranty, so no big deal. However, the strange noises would never go away and would return after a short period.

Fast forward, third gear gives out on the car at about 60K (notice how we are outside of the warranty period). So we bring the car to Volvo and, naturally, they say “You need a new transmission”. Trust me, I’ve got tons of experience with auto manufacturers and defects, and I know what to do. I’ve never visited the Volvo dealer to talk about the car with them, my wife does. But, I go over everything with her and she calls me when there’s a doubt about anything. So, she calls me to tell me the repair bill. I tell her, we’re not paying based simply on the fact that a transmission should not go out at 60k. Anyway, before it gets to the point where I need to get involved to personally start turning the screws, the head service rep says Volvo will cover the bill. This happened about 2 years ago.

Get the car back and drive it over the next 2 years and eventually we hear the weird noises again. This time, I just attribute it to age of the car and that, perhaps, it needed a chassis lube, since the weird noises appeared to be suspension related.

Recently, a front light head light bulb blows, and we take it to get it replaced. This shop is a non Volvo service center but manned by former Volvo techs (word of mouth sent us here). Again, it’s my wife who is talking to the rep, with me as an advisor/validator. Prior to going in, I tell her “Oh, btw, ask them about the strange noises.” (Mechanics intuition that something is not right about the car). The non Volvo authorized tech evaluates the car and says, what, Transmission. What else did you think we were going to say? LOL He also said Volvo has been having a nightmare with the trannies of the XC90 T6.

At this point, I hit the net and this forum comes up, along with the fact that there’s a class action in progress.

To sum this up, we’re getting another transmission put in with over 100k on the car. We’ve only ever serviced the car at Volvo, save for having that former Volvo tech “pop in” a blown bulb.

So where does it stand. The problem here is that the transmissions of the XC90’s are not “fit for their intended purposes”. This is from the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code). Hint hint about more of my background... LOL

Manufacturers are not going to be able to hide behind a warranty to get out of repairing their cars when they simply do not work as one would expect. Volvo knows this, but the question is does each individual Volvo owner know it and, hence, the reason why they (Volvo) are even fixing their cars. Do you think they would repair their car for free if they didn’t have to? Press your case and pray for the relief that's deserved.

They tried to get us to pay a portion of the repair bill for the transmission but we flat out refused (or rather I refused. Behind the scenes, of course. LOL). No bargaining nor begging, simply refused. They caved in. So that’s three transmissions in 106K miles.

Oh yea, another high end auto manufacturer that will repair their cars out of warranty is BMW. Do a search for "rear transaxle subframe defect in the E36 chassis (i.e., 3 series)". I owned one back in the early 90's. My rear transaxle of this car initially tore out at 27k miles. BMW fixed it for free. They repaired it again at 130K miles, all for free. The same thing happened to a colleague of mine in his E36 M3. BMW repaired it for free.

Sooooooooooooo…. Get your cars fixed people. If they (the auto manufacturers) refuse, attack their reputation. The Internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it? LOL

Btw, does anything remember that Audi 4000? Was this the one that would jump into gear and crash into walls with no explanation? I still remember that problem to this day. Audi is still reeling from that rumor. Me personally I would never by an Audi. Get the point….

Take care....
  • newvolvolovernewvolvolover Member Posts: 1
    I have the similiar problem. I'm at 139k and had 2 transmission. Now it needs a third and Volvo refuses to assist. The volvo dealership that serviced my vehicle(only) has gone out of business. The dealership where I take my care now is willing to pay 33% of the cost($7000.00). Volvo says we can not assist because I am out of warranty. What can one do now?
  • jbs05jbs05 Member Posts: 13
    I was told by my dealership that I got one of the new Axels that are "enclosed" that will not allow the leak to happen which takes out the transmission. Is that what is going out the second and third times?

How long have these "new" axels been holding out for before the next replacement? These axels have only been out the last 6 months to a year depending on location. (So I was told.)
  • vabluemarlinvabluemarlin Member Posts: 1
    Wife has a 2005 XC90 T6. Had no idea about the T6 issues before purchase as I made a rash decision during a dealer auction and decided she didnt need the V8 that I was going to bid on.

Long story short. Out of warranty at 31k miles. Transmission gone today. Urgent transmission service light last night, dropped it off immediately, called by Freedom Volvo of Virginia Beach, Va at 9:00 am with the news......transmission gone.

Before I could even ask......they state they will replace parts and all labor, one time only, free of charge. No idea if new tranny will be warrantied at all.

Said they have fixed the tranny problem but it is too early to tell if the new replaced trannies will hold up. Gave me a loaner, but also reccomended I may want to unload it if I can.

Wife loves the XC90 and based on customer service I received today, a new but unexpected V8 XC90 may be in my future.
  • smcleodsmcleod Member Posts: 2
    Volvo today returned the car replacing the tranny, radiator and hoses. Luckily they honored the extended warranty as the problem was first noticed while under warranty and then really died 2 week later once the warranty had expired. Anyone who has the transmission problem should fight to get their car repaired as Volvo is aware of the fault. They really don't want admit it. Fight to get it repaired.
  • dawn28dawn28 Member Posts: 3
    New to the forum. Transmission slipping & jerking pretty bad. Checked messages and saw the Transmission Service Urgent. Stopped by local Volvo, BMW, Mercedes shop (not dealer) this morning. He says to change fluid & filter then see what happens. I just started reading the forum. Any advise on what to do?? Anyone from Atlanta area??? Nally has service my car in the past. Have not had many problems. I bought new and have had it for 6 1/2 years, 76,000 miles. Please help.
  • luvmyvolvoluvmyvolvo Member Posts: 10
    It sounds like your transmission has started to go, I'm not sure a transmission fluid & filter change will correct this (I'm not a mechanic though). My car died 2 days after having the transmission fluid & filter changed ($400) at the dealership.

There were no previous warning signs, it just wouldn't accelerate, the urgent transmission service light came on and we towed it to the dealer. My car was at 45K miles and out of the 4 yr. warranty mark, but the dealer paid for the transmission rebuild, hoses, and radiator under their "good will" agreement. I also bought new and have only had the car serviced at the dealership, so that might be why they covered everything without an argument, which isn't fair.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but check if the dealer will repair your car for free despite it being out of warranty. Just mention what you found on this site.
  • agitlitsagitlits Member Posts: 7
    Well, my Volvo xc90 T6 with 76,000 km on it has started leaking ATF. The Volvo dealership either did not notice it or decided to ignore it at 75,000 km service.
    I went to an independent Volvo mechanic who told me it appears to be the gasket.
    I will have to replace the gasket and ATF. I'm worried now that the ATF is going to be replaced my transmission will die shortly after.

Any advice? I bought my car 2nd hand with 69,000 km on it and I found that the original transmission in it was replaced at 48,000 km. Hopefully this is a stronger one (or so dealer said).

Thanks for any advice,

Alex
  • ehslenoxehslenox Member Posts: 5
    Atlanta, here. Northpoint Volvo in Roswell is where I bought my 2004, XC90 AWD and have usually had it serviced there. I got the dreaded light last June at 59K. Went to the guys (not Volvo) that I have serviced for me over the years (because they were closest when this happened) and they told me that I would have to go to Volvo. Volvo said that I needed a new transmission. Price tag, $5000. I protested and they talked to Volvo and ended up charging me about $1000. Now, I just hope it doesn't happen, again. On this forum, I have heard from people who have had 3 or more transmissions put in.

Until this happened, I loved my car, but this drives me crazy and makes me so mad at Volvo. I was about ready to buy a new XC90 AWD when the whole transmission thing happened and now just don't know what to buy and I certainly don't want to unload my '04 on some unsuspecting person.
  • mtnmommymtnmommy Member Posts: 9
    We bought our 2005 T6 used with 40k. Last year, transmission fluid started leaking, and our Volvo shop let me know that if I wasn't going to need a new transmission then, I would need one eventually. I have intermittently seen the "Transmission Service Required" light, and had the flushes, the software upgrades, and gaskets changed. Three shops were unable to figure it out. As we were out of warranty, I purchased an extended plan through my financing company, and have been waiting for the shoe to drop.

Well, yesterday it finally did. Husband drove it, and when I re-entered, I see the lovely red exclamation point and the "Transmission Service Urgent". Gave me no trouble, so I drove it to my in-laws, borrowed their Acura sedan, and it sits 'til tomorrow when it goes to my Volvo guy.

I've heard the various clunks, ticks, and needed brakes and rotors, but I do still love this car. Have had all work done before required mileage, and the previous owners did too. We owned an MDX previous, which also have documented transmission problems. I pray, pray, pray that my plan will cover this, as I WILL NOT fork out thousands for this, and that car will become one expensive plant holder if not.

Class-action, here we come!!!! My in-laws are Acura people (as we were, too), and they have had two transmissions replaced at no charge in their TL. I don't know whether to try to go fight with Volvo about this (in the short holiday week, no less) or just try to stick my warranty company with the expense. But one thing is for sure- I AM NOT PAYING FOR THIS. These cars were too expensive at the outcost, and for maintenance, for Volvo to not hold some responsibility. I can name 4 regular joe vehicles that we have owned in the past 12 years, which cost much less and never needed such repairs. Volvo should have known better than to stick GM junk in cars bought at that price point. And even if I can get mine covered under my warranty, I want to take a stand for the rest of you who don't have that option. :sick:
    Acura. Two goodwill transmissions in my in-laws '01 TL. One at 108k. Had bought and serviced the whole time at dealership.
    Just an update. Called Volvo dealership in Marietta on Friday. They said bring it in on Monday. I have not driven it since Friday. Twenty miles from my home and 50 miles from dealership, it would not go. I am sitting on the side of the highway waiting on a tow truck. I had it towed to the dealer. I am waiting to see what they say. Everyone, please be careful while driving with the "transmission" message on. My car was completely fine one day, message came on the next, and completely shut down the next. I know I need a new transmission, I am just praying Volvo will cover it.
  • hoff2248hoff2248 Member Posts: 2
    Just found out today Volvo is covering my transmission at 71k miles. It slips terrible and I wouldn't feel safe leaving town. We had the code reset and it hasn't come back on but whatever broke that made the code go off the first time, is still messed up. Just so thankful I'm not paying for it!!!
    Hoff2248, Did you have to have your transmission replaced or a code reset??
  • ferrari8ferrari8 Member Posts: 1
    i get shivers reading some of these posts.

i test drove an 2004 xc90 T6 today. drove nice except when i went to park it. i turned hard to the right and heard a clunking sound. I then felt the steering was shifting and somewhat loose.

Anyone know about these problems? i love the car but sounds like potential trouble.
  • bobkawbobkaw Member Posts: 3
    I can not get the Key out of my ignition Car is in park brake applied won't come out . Wiggled key, steering wheel, shifter nothing works only way have to get out of the car and not have dead battery is to remove fuse to the Ignition and lock door with another set of keys . any ideas ?
    I did leave my sunroof open and interior got wet could this be the cause and what needs to get replaced?

some months ago dealer did replace a nylon assembly in the shifter that was causing similar problem but could always jiggle the key and it would come out.
  • goldrichgoldrich Member Posts: 7
    dawn,
    i have a 2001xc70 that has had transmission issues that goes way back. :D i wanted to learn more about "goodwill " agreement ..option. how it applies and to what.. do you have any ideas where to learn about it ?

is it with volvo north america directly or specifically your dealer.

by the way, i'm in virginia beach, va
  • wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear about your ignition problem. I too had the same problem which only got progressively worse until I had to relace the whole key ignition cartridge assembly. . Rather costly of course. This occured at approx. 100K. Following this, the transmission needed replacing at approx. 126K. This volvo model looks great and rides the same but leaves much to be desired in comparison to the kind of dependability older and more reputable volvos used to be known for. Enjoy it while you and it last.
  • lilsamlilsam Member Posts: 5
    I am on a 3rd transmission and is also experiencing the clunking sound. My Volvo dealer service says it is the rack in pinion steering unit. The XC 90 T6 looks good and drives good but I strongly suggest you stay away from this model.
  • lilsamlilsam Member Posts: 5
    My XC 90T6 had a similar problem. Ignition switch was hard to turn and key was difficult to remove. The problem showed up at about 96k. It was a costly repair and the dealer had to order from Sweden. To date the tally is: 3 transmissions, 1 ignition switch unit, clunking steering and just last week a leaking chain drive unit. :mad:
  • tedhelgy25tedhelgy25 Member Posts: 1
    But this forum scares me. What year and models are effected by this tranny issue?? Is it just the T6?
    I have on 05 and had the transmission replaced last month at 42k. I am still having issues with it in that it does not downshift to a lower gear when needed. It is locked into 4th gear even at 25 MPH. Volvo says this is normal though I am having my regular mechanic check into it. Volvo says if I don't like it, to drive the car manually. I have no problem with drving the car manually but should not be forced to when purchasing an automatic.
    No new tranny for me- ended up being a mis-firing solenoid. My warranty covered it, minus the $200 deductible and fluids. I do know that my Volvo guy said it was 9 hours of labor- and he doesn't charge for the diagnostics, but I can only imagine what that bill would have been. Rotors and brakes, too, but I descend 1600 feet daily on a windy mountain road, so they would get eaten up in any car. I love my T6, and will probably hold onto it until one of the kids is old enough to drive it, but I will ALWAYS pay to renew the warranty. Hindsight would be to go with a V8 instead. Too bad.
    Out of curiousity, what warranty do you have that you can renew it for ??? years? I have the extended warranty but I put on a lot of yearly miles so I never reach the time limit. I have only had this car for a year, bought it used with 30k and have added almost 16k this year. I would love to keep the car but am concerned at what happens after the warranty if gone.
  • premachpremach Member Posts: 2
    Hi There,

I bought a 2005 XC90-T6 last December, now it's down with the tranny problem.

I am in Oakville, Ontario. Volvo dealer quoted me $7500 for a new tranny. Can you please give me the details of your mechanic in your area.
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

I'm in the USA, Ct. to be exact, so I'm not sure if all my tactics will work for you. I would still reach out to the National Transportation Safety Board, and Volvo complaints on line. As stated by many others, as well as myself, Volvo is doing "Good Will" gestures of either full tranny payment or partial-anything is better than nothing at all. Good luck and keep us all posted on how you do! I wish you the best of luck!

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • eagle29eagle29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i got a big problem i need to dismantle or fix a transmission for a VOLVO XC90 i need a diagram of everypart of the motor or transmission i will really appreciated if anyone can help me on this matter im searching everywhere no sucess thanks :
  • wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    Hi premach. Just contact: Baywash Auto: 2880 Sixth Line, Collingwood,ON. Very reasonable and dependable family run operation.
    Cheers,
    Wasaga Beach
  • djdownsdjdowns Member Posts: 1
    My service transmission urgent light came on 3 days ago. After reading all of the messages on this site and others, I was very discouraged. I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 with 97,300 miles. I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. It was pre-owned when I bought it. My husband towed it to the nearest dealership 2 1/2 hours away today, and was told it would need a new transmission and radiator -- $6500.00. I called Volvo USA and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep. who said she would open a file and let me know something within a couple of days. Two hours later she called to say that Volvo would pay 100% of the repair cost! There are a lot of stories on here that did not turn out well, so I wanted to post one that had. Hope this gives encouragement to others on this message board looking for some answers.
    Hi jbs 095-

My warranty was offered to me by Citibank, who holds our loan. I researched the tranny problems after I had a fluid spill last Dec in the middle of a raging snowstorm, and they scared the bejeezus out of me. I got the offer in the mail about a week later, which gave me 45 k of coverage for approx $3500 and figured that if it covered the tranny, and a new one would cost $6500, that I'd come out ahead or at least have the peace of mind at 0% financing, which I would never get if I had to charge a new tranny. So I bit, and the tranny repairs I just experienced ran $2000 from my Volvo guy. Because I envision still that I will need a complete new tranny at some point in time, I will keep renewing. I've heard of other people getting them through their insurance companies as well. Volvo USA probably would not have covered the solenoid, and because we're a good hour from any dealership and I love my Volvo guy, it just seemed easier. Peace of mind is priceless, especially for $160 bucks a month.
  • oh_volvooh_volvo Member Posts: 5
    Hello Lisa,
    I'm reading about all the problems xc90 owners are having and I'm afraid that I might fall into their nightmare. So I would like to prepare myself. I have downloaded all the recalls from safecar.gov on the xc90 and I would like the info or contact person at Volvo USA corp.
    I would like to tip my hat to you and mr Green for all the help you have been providing to the people on the Edmunds car forum.

Thank You

Jared Miller
    2004 xc90 appx. 95K miles
    Hello,
    do you have the contact at Volvo Corp. or the # you called? This fourm is scaring me, that we bought the wrong car?

ty

Jared
  • shaforgacsshaforgacs Member Posts: 1
    On December 10, 2009, the dreaded Transmission Service Urgent message appeared on my console. Luckily, and just barely, I was able to limp the car home. The next morning, I called Volvo North America, LLC (800-458-1552) asking for their Goodwill consideration for the repairs. They were very sympathetic and opened a file.

I then had the car towed to my local service department: Nalley Volvo in Marietta, GA. Upon arrival, I explained to the service advisor that I knew about the history of transmission failure on this vehicle (only because I had stumbled upon this forum; but, not before I bought the car—darn it), and that I had already contacted Volvo NA for assistance.

I waited for 2 hours while they diagnosed the problems. Once, they came back to me asking for permission to perform a $250 diagnostic test to determine if glycol was present in the transmission fluid. It was. The final verdict was that the car needed a new radiator and a new transmission!

Anyway, this story has a happy ending, because the repairs were almost entirely covered under Goodwill or Warranty, which is how they listed it on the invoice. However, I did “participate” in $952.45 of the repair costs, which I considered a bargain.

Although I did not ask (I know not to look a gift horse in the mouth), I am sure that the repairs were easily $10,000. The parts list alone was a full page long, and the labor hours must have been in the double digits.

Also, my Volvo is not under warranty. It is a pre-owned, trade-in that I purchased from a Toyota dealership. So, go figure. Miracles do happen.

Anyway, after this scare, and knowing what I now know about the vehicle, I am looking to purchase an extended warranty for when this happens again. Does anyone out there know of a good, honest company in this business?
    shaforgacs,
    I will be going thru the same thing Mon. and I already made calls to warranty co. and the price was coming back around $2,000 - 3,000 for 36 mts. thank you for your story. everyone pray for me ;) I'll ley you know what happens

oh-volvo
    Jared
    I drove to the dealer and 5 hrs later I was told that I need a new tran. and it cost me $150 for the info. I've given them all the main. records and I'm waiting to hear from them. :sick:
  • bart76bart76 Member Posts: 2
    I got transmission service required light 7 days ago. Went to a dealer in downtown Los Angeles, they said transmission is fine, no problems, I need to replace a sensor though. $640!!! Ok, i cough up $640. 7 days later i go for a trip to Yosemite, on the way back i see infamous urgent transmission service light. Since I already browsed through this forum I expected the worse. Luckily I was able to get back to town and this morning I went to a dealer. Short diagnostic, 4th gear is slipping, some fluid in the transmission, NEED REPLACEMENT!!! Hold on, didn't you say 7 days ago transmission was fine !?!?!??!!??!? The service guy asked for an extended warranty (which I don't have - I assumed car like Volvo would be a great investement - FOR LIFE - mistake!!!) but I immediately mentioned this forum and all the cases I've read about-then his attitude changed, and he simply said to take car back home and that he'll contact Volvo regarding the matter and will let me know results. Well, we'll see....I owned S80 before and I loved my 2005 XC90 T6, but I'd never buy it if I knew they put GMC tranny inside it. I bought it because I wanted Swedish quality, not Detroit crap. I thought I'd stick with Volvo for long time, but now...let's see what their service will do, if they don't step up the plate to fix it, I'll post this everywhere, facebook, twitter, forums, write all the letters you guys advised to write, join whatever lawsuit that might come up. This is just ridiculous, the recall should've been announced long time ago. I'll keep everybody updated, hopefully Volvo is still worth its name.
    Well, fellow xc90'ers I got the call today, the 3rd gear was out and no coolant in the tran. fluid, but they did find metal. So, the radiator and lines have to be replaced and w/o a single phone call to NJ they are replacing 100% of everything, minus the $150 diagnostic charge. WOW, good luck to everyone.

Jared
  • lovedmycarlovedmycar Member Posts: 2
    I lease a 2009 XC-90 has only 15,000 miles on it. While driving on a highway my Volvo just stopped running...shut right down while I was going 70 mph. The electronic indicator read "anti skid message" and then "check engine message". Once I sat on the side of the highway I was able to drive it back home (130 miles one way). I brought to the dealership and they found no problems. A month later the same thing happened on a 30 mile round trip....eight times the car just shut off while driving...no power steering...just shut off. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm bringing back to dealer asap. Hopefully something in the electronics that's an easy fix. Thank god this is a lease!
    I have gotten the anti-skid message at least 20 times since I bought mine in 2007, but the only time I powered down was when I was sliding in ice and it was burning the engine. I think that was a safety mech to protect the car. Sounds like yours may have been, too? Did all the lights come on when it stalled? What did the exclamation point do?
  • lovedmycarlovedmycar Member Posts: 2
    The anti skid message was coming on while I was driving on a dry surface and then the car just shut off...the only lights that came on was the dashboard was all lit up with check engine lights and all the other possible messages that could come up on the dashboard. First the anti skid message then "check engine" message. The Volvo mechanics changed the key switch yesterday thinking that was the problem. When I left the garage the problem started right up again on the way out of the dealership..just shut down and never started up again. Now they tore out my auto car starter thinking that was the problem (possibly a bad module). I've had a auto car starter in every vehicle I've owned over the past 15 years with no problems. I'll know today if the car starts and stays running once they've pulled the car starter out.
  • jtodd1jtodd1 Member Posts: 1
    Jared,
    Glad to hear your situation worked out. Today, on my way to the office, I was sitting at a red light. When the light turned green, I tried to accelerate and crash, sounded like a had metal in a wood chipper under my hood. Suffice to say, when the car is off and in park, it rolls around like neutral. Not good. I am waiting on a call from the trans. shop with the bad news. Question is, how did you get your work done at no charge (other than $150)?
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • csg5csg5 Member Posts: 2
    I own a Volvo 2005 XC90 and it has 54K miles on it. In November we started hearing a whirring sound and took it to the dealer. They said the rear hub bearings have to be changed, wasn't convinced and took it to my mechanic who works on my Toyota Avalon and he thought it was the rear differential and asked us to go back to Volvo as this shouldn't happen at this mileage and may be it is a known problem!! So we went back to the dealer this month and asked them to check again as we thought it was more than the bearings and my be the differential. They came back and said, yes it is the differential. The service adviser coated $5,200+tax for the whole job. When we said since the car was serviced all the time at the dealers they should take care of it even though the warranty was up. The service manager reviewed the case and said he will talk to Volvo in NJ. They came back yesterday and said Volvo would cover the parts and I would have to pay $1400+tax. Thought it was not a bad deal and asked them to go ahead. I then started to browse the net and stumbled on this form!!! boy'Oboy...Now I am scrambling to buy extended warranty on this car. Any suggestions? I have been driving my Avalon for 14 yrs and never had any issues..just regular maintenance has 170K mi on it....
  • tazandbigguntazandbiggun Member Posts: 1
    I am an Air Force member stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. I bought this US spec XC90 from the original owner on 30 Oct 07 who was also stationed here. The XC90 was purchased in the States. The original owner had the transmission replaced in Germany at ~64,000 miles. The 2nd transmission just failed after 33,000 miles and 2.5 years. The German Volvo dealer quoted me ~ 4,500 euro to replace it, which is $6,452 at the exchange rate.

I called Volvo of North America Customer Care. The lady told me they couldn't help since the vehicle was overseas, and that Volvo of Europe couldn't help since it was a US spec vehicle. She said to have it repaired and send them the bill with all other documentation and "they" would review it on a case-by-case basis. I asked if they could assist me with contacting Volvo headquarters in Sweden, and she said "they" didn't talk with them. Completely unsympathetic.

You know the rock and a hard place? I feel like I'm in it with no one to help.

Happy holidays to everyone,

Rob
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    Hi Rob,

I can only tell you what I did here in the States and you can make a decision/or do some research and see if there are corresponding type folks in Germany.

1. File a complaint on line with Volvo
    2. File a complaint with the NTSB online
    3. File a complaint with the Attorney General
    4. File a complaint with Consumer Protection

These worked for myself and approximately 11 others of us. For items 3 and 4, I'd check and see who in your city/state/etc would be similar.
    And keep complaining, unfortunately, as with anything in our lives, the more you complain, the more things get addressed.
    Good luck, I'll wish you the best, and please let me know if I can be of more help.
    Take care.

Lisa
  • jkjpdxjkjpdx Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my 2004 XC90 T6 in Oct-2009. Today I began accelerating and all of a sudden there was no power. It is definitely the transmission. It doesnt seem to shift up and is extremely sluggish. I put it into Reverse and nothing. Also, after re-starting, it surged forward even though it was in Park. While still in Park, I reved up engine and it lunged forward slightly. Really weird. I am in Beaverton OR, near Portland. Please advise.