Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• zepplinswtzepplinswt Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 4 runner sputters and almost dies. This has been going on for over a year, but rarely happens. I replaced the fuel filter and had the fuel injectors replace about 6 months ago. It has happened twice since then. About 4 weeks ago i was driving and when I came to a stop it sputtered, acted like it was going to die, put the car in neutral and pressed the gas..all was fine. It happened again to my wife yesterday and am concerned about her getting stranded with this problems. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • greengreen Member Posts: 15
    It's a luxury. Better performance at more cost. You have to do the personal cost/benefit analysis yourself. You might as well ask why they make ones with a V-8s, low gear ranges, or leather seats. Few people really need these.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    sounds like a bad fuel pump.
  • julesyjulesy Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you, Polartoy. I have a '03 4Runner. This is my FOURTH windshield crack in less than one year! I have only 20K miles. I seem get a crack every time we go on a long road trip. It's very exasperating since the cracks are pretty extensive and require me to call the insurance company for windshield replacement. I'm wondering it's cheap glass or an engineering deficiency? Anyone know where a resource to complain about the defective windshields?
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Julesy: You said that you seem to get a newly cracked windshield every time you go on a long trip, and I'm wondering if there might somehow be a causal connection here, perhaps related to your average driving habits? For example, do you (or anyone else driving the truck during these long trips), tend to "tailgate" cars and trucks in front of you, particularly on high speed roadways? Just a thought.

A few other thoughts: (1) Thus far, has the same auto glass installation company (maybe one preferred more by your insurance company rather than your Toyota dealer?) installed every one of your replacement windshields which seem to keep cracking? If so, you may want to find another installer. (2) Have all four of these windshields developed cracks at or very near the same location on the windshield? If so, I wonder if some aspect of the vehicle's windshield framework might be warped, out of kilter, out of correct shape, etc. Alternatively, maybe some aspect of the vehicle's upper or lower framework is misaligned, resulting in abnormal and deleterious forces on the windshield such as unusual flexing, torsion (twisting), overtautness, or buckling/bind-up forces on the windshield glass as the truck's body flexes during normal road stresses? While automotive glass is flexible within certain parameters, if the windshield is unduly flexed and overly taut at the time of installation, it may poorly tolerate even modest impacts from road debris, and may develop cracks rather easily. (3) Are you subjecting your windshields to unusual thermal stresses, such as rapid warming or cooling in the face of widely opposing outside temperatures?

Ever since the end of cheap gasoline prices in the late 1970's, most auto manufacturers have been faced with the need to make their vehicles more fuel efficient, and one sure remedy has been to reduce overall vehicle weight, including the weight of automotive glass. In addition, there has been widespread industry pressure to make automotive glass safer, less hard, and less dangerous to occupants in collisions. This in turn has led to the widespread use of automotive glass that is lighter, thinner, weaker, "softer", and more breakable without producing potentially harmful or even deadly shards of broken glass. This newer automotive glass is much more friable and more easily pitted and cracked compared with older automotive glass. Unfortunately, it is more vulnerable to the damages of time and road hazards. For some time now, it's not uncommon for a newer vehicle to require periodic replacement of the windshield at a considerable cost.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    Well it happened again. Just traded my 2003 4r for a new 2005 ltd. Second ski trip into the mountains, and probably the first small pebble off the highway, from a vehicle going in the opposite direction, put the first big chip into the windshield. Looks like it will crack again across completely. The toyota winshields are great for keeping clean ( water just runs off without wipers), but they sure are the weakest I have ever seen. Definately they have a problem. When I last changed the windshield on the 2003, the glass shop offered to use an aftermarket windshield which are available. I did not do this since I carry replacement insurance for oem parts. Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket non toyota windshields? This is going to be an ongoing problem for those of us who drive in the mountains where sand is used on the roads. Cheers Polartoy
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I've had three windshield repairs on my 2003 4Runner. I still have the original glass and 14,000 miles in 1-1/2 years of ownership. This Toyota windshield is fragile, and I would look forward to an aftermarket replacement. It might be worth letting the next 'hit' turn into a new windshield, except I'd have to cough up a $250 deductible for my share. The repairs are free on my insurance, but replacement requires the deductible. Luckily, the glass still looks good and hasn't pitted, and the 'hits' were repaired the next day before they could spread. I've owned two prior Toyota's (a small P/U & a Camry) and between them and 300,000 miles I never had three windshield repairs, or any replacements. If I add all the other vehicles I've owned since 1976 excluding my 2003 4Runner, I've driven well over a million miles and had three repairs between them and still no replacements. I don't commute nowhere near the miles I used to, and now I'm relegated to get a windshield repair every 6 months due to junk glass. It's a minor issue, but a problem nonetheless.
  • 4runrsport14runrsport1 Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered a 2005 Sport. You can only get the 3rd row seat with a SR5 or Limited, not with a sport model. So I have a need occasionally for a 3rd row seat. I checked the parts to order and install, over $2000! It was only a $730 option. I have also look at some of the aftermarket 3rd row seats online. What I would like to do I get one seat {they split in the middle and hang on the sides} for the left side from a wrecked late model 4runnery. Any one find themselves in this same dilema?
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    I have a 2003 4runner. I live in Northern B.C. with lots of gravel on the roads and temperature extremes etc. This year it was +30C in the summer and -35C in the winter and have had zero problems with the windshield. My wife's CRV has a large crack in it now. The 4runner windshield does not seem any worse/thinner than any other vehicle I have owned.
  • calixascalixas Member Posts: 2
    Sauria,
    .....in case you're still hearing the rattling, I had a similar issue with my 2005 4runner. However, the noise would only occur at higher speeds. It appeared to be coming from the drivers door, but I discovered it was a loose luggage rack fastener. I tightened it up, and the problem was solved.
  • jeff193jeff193 Member Posts: 29
    I am getting 11 mpg. Any suggestions. mostly city driving?. Never stop in traffic for more than a minute. Probably in a one hr drive im stuck for 5 minutes tops?

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the tire pressure, hope your gas is the summer stuff now and wait for the 4Runner to break in some more (some of us don't see our best mpg until we get 5,000 or 10,000 miles on our cars).

Fueleconomy.gov has some more tips.

Oh, and your transmission probably is like most new ones and adapts to your driving style. If it was demo'd by leadfoots, you may want to ask the dealer how to reset it to relearn your style (probably resets by removing the battery cable, but that may kill your radio, so make sure you have the code if required).

Steve, Host
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    A couple of questions....how are you calculating the 11 mpg, by trip computer or by division when refueling. Also, what grade fuel are you using.....the V8 requires premium fuel. I, too, have a V8 and got much better gas mileage than that right from the start. Give it a little more time and if the mileage does not improve dramatically, take it back to the dealer to get checked out.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I needed to change my oil this weekend and have misplaced my manual. Could anyone provide the correct fill amount for an '03 V8 with filter (US quarts)? Thanks.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    Congratulations 714 cut. You are having great luck. My son also has a 2003 4r and the same story. Having to drive with a cracked windshield through the winter and replace in spring. On my previous 4runner, the last windshield only had a lot of rock pit marks. On the coldest day in the Cariboo, around minus 24 C. The moment I started the engine and heater, I just watched a crack develop out of nowhere, and go across the complete windhield very quickly. Before the 4Runner, I had 7 Grand Cherokees in about 11 yrs, and I believe, only went through maybe 4 windshields. Now it looks like , I am going to average 2-3 per yr. There definately are differences. In fact, my son also had a grand cherokee for 9 years before he bought his 4 runner, and still had the original glass. The odds just are not good on this glass taking any wear and tear. In similar vein, the paint on the 4 runners also chips very easily, compared to my previous jeeps.
    Polartoy
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    6.5 Quarts with a new filter.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I too had to replace my 2004 Spot Windshield with a very large crack. I have noticed quite a few cracked 4-Runner windshields in Washington State with the crack starting from the bottom near the center going a quarter of the way up and then toward the driver side. When I replaced mine, they told me that Toyota uses more than one glass manufacturer. Mine was a Nippon and I replaced with a Toyota Nippon. It would be interesting to see if one glass manufacturer is worse than another.

Tangman
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    With about 50/50 highway/city driving, my wife's '05 4-Runner V-8 has averaged 17.8 (dealer fill-up) and 18.3. She is not a lead-foot, but she doesn't drive like a granny either. 11 mpg doesn't sound right to me.
  • timber104timber104 Member Posts: 24
    Hello All,

I bought my third Toyota 4Runner, one year ago this month. I payed $32,000.00 (plus tax) for a SR5 with DVD player, then added PIAA headlights, Vent shades on all windows, Window etching of VIN # on all windows, and adding window tint on the front 2 windows. The vehicle is outstandingly clean. There are 12,500 miles on it. I went to trade it in on a Toyota Prius in Toyota of Cherry Hill, NJ, they wanted to give me only $21,600, with an explanation that Convertibles are what people want, not 4WD vehicles, this is driving the value down. Then I want to 4 other dealers in the Metro New York area today, and found out that dealers use the Galves blue book, and a 2004 4Runner is only valued at $22,000.00 plus $900.00 for a DVD player, all the other things on the 4Runner do not matter and are worth nothing!.

So, if you own a newer Toyota 4Runner, it may be worth a lot less today, than you may think. As well as over the next 3 months the price may fall $1000.00 per quarter. Expected to be around $18,000.00 by September.

Good luck to all,
  • rclinercline Member Posts: 5
    Hello, have a 1998 4Runner and at about 75-80 mph, the hood moves all over the place...it looks like it's barely hangin' on, but when I check it, it seems secure. Anyone else notice this or have any suggestions to cinch this thing down better?
    Thanks.
    Richard in Atlanta
  • olaf500olaf500 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!

Just bought new 2005 4Runner Sport with basic audio about 3 weeks ago. Dealer never mentioned this feature and did not give any security codes. I just remembered when I bought Honda CR-V last year for my wife they gave me one. So questions: did anyone receive security code for the basic 4Runner radio/cd/cassette head unit when purchasing the car? Does it have one? Should I be worried disconnecting the battery?

Thanks a lot.
    Hey sorry my computer was having issues....well ive been through 2 more tanks...and the best ive gotten on the hwqay is 19mpg...

i can not get any more than 14 in the city that too driving like a grand mother and the car rolling along..if i hit the gas just like 4 or 5 times during the tank ful...i get about 12.5..

Using only premium..i got free gas slips so...its on teh dealer....

Check this out though...the tank is 23 gallons right...I filled 23.4 gallons just the other day...58$ NOt Fun when ill pay my self

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My "03 4Runner Limited has a fuel capacity of 22.5 gallons. At any rate, are you topping off your tank? If so, this is a no-no, since doing so may damage the fuel cap, as well as cause certain sensors to malfunction. When the gas pump shuts off at the end of refueling, do not top off the tank.
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    are you sure the fuel tank capacity of 03 is diff from 2005? my 2005 v6 sr5 4wd has
    23.5 gal.
  • fatportfatport Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 04 V6 Ltd. The other day I hit the remote to lock it and it started. I thought, cool, it has a remote starter. I put the key in to turn it off, but it didn't respond. I hit the brakes and it stopped. I haven't been able to repeat this miracle, and the owner's manual doesn't say anything about a remote start. I can see no evidence that the previous owner installed one either. I don't suppose anyone else has had this experience.
    I did top it off...sorry didnt know i shouldnt do that...

gas mileage is more normal now...14-15mpg in the city...i am kind of a lead foot. 21 yrs old...kinda hard to stay off the gas esp with the v8...:)

Thank you guys though....Btw if some one wants to install an after market system.. talk to me..i ran into sum problems
  • rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    Jeff,
    For a V8, I think you are getting good mileage. Those EPA estimates are just that. I suspect their estimates are from continous driving with no stopping. There are other varibles to consider too. If someone else drove your vehicle, the mileage most likely would be differant. I notice on my 2004 V6, that the mileage increased as the weather got warmer by about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 miles per gallon. Now I am getting 14 miles per gallon with a combination of city and highway driving. Most of my driving is of short duration that takes only on average about 10 to 20 minutes to arrive. I feel confident that I would get 17 or more mpg if it was all highway driving at longer distances. Bob.
    > I suspect their estimates are from continous driving

afaik, EPA _calculates_ the MPG, not throu driving.
  • gblgbl Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a new 2005 4Runner SR5 4wd V8 with 17" wheels. The advertised ground clearance is 9.1 inches. I measured from the ground to the skid plate under the front of the vehicle and was surprised to only find 8.0 inches. Where is Toyota taking their measurement? I thought that ground clearance would be measured from the ground to the lowest point under the vehicle. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Has anyone tried to put a Borla exhaust on the 2003 and above 4-runner? How does it sound? Was it worth spending the extra money?
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    I was just looking at tirerack.com and noticed that there is a paltry selection of tires in the OEM size available.

Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo yet? If so, how do you like them.

Also, has anyone stepped up to a 265/70R17? I have the V6 and I'm a little reluctant to decrease the final drive ratio, but I might just have to do so to get a decent selection of tires. If you've done this, did you notice much of a drop in acceleration?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I ditched the OEM Dunlops at 10K miles, and replaced them with Revo's in 265/65/17 (OEM size), and have never looked back. We just finished a winter with 90+" of snow, and I have a very steep drive. They have never even spun a wheel. I now have 21k miles (11K on the Revos) and they show negligible wear - should be good for 40k, at which point I'll get another set. BTW, I leave them on year round. :)
  • zeetechzeetech Member Posts: 1
    Hello!
    I don't know if this problem is already fixed or not. I'm a master tech (independent),and I have fixed this problem on few Toyotas- the dealer failed on it. The problem is the TPS (throttle position sensor) .There is a glitch on the variable resistor inside the sensor. Will not set the CEL (check engine light) and it can be detected only with a labscope -the dealer must have one- it must be set on a slow time, and the throttle must be fully open and close to see the glitch on the scope. CAN'T be detected with voltmeter. An average signal is : about 0.5 volt with closed throttle and about 4.5 volts with WOT (wide open throttle) What happens is, during the opening the signal voltage drops to 0 for few milisecond, that what makes the ECM nuts. The test wont take more than 20 minutes, however I like to test it when it's cold and warm. I don't usually run the engine but warm up the sensor with a heat gun or a good hair dryer. I hope this will help.
    Good luck!
    Zee
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    There are two great tires available for this truck that immediately come to mind. One being the Bridgestone A/T Revo,and the other the Michelin Cross Terrain. The Revo is an all year tire and the Michelin could be unless you encounter a lot of ice or snow. I have a 4Runner and a Sequoia and I run Cross Terrains in the summer and use Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3 in the winter. The Blizzaks are incredible on snow and ice. If I did not run snow tires, I would probably run the Revos all year.
  • cburescbures Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 RWD SR5-does anyone know how accurate the on board mileage computer is. Mine tells me I am getting 22mi/per gal. Just curious if I can count on the read out.
  • grnwtrsgrnwtrs Member Posts: 13
    Hi there:

I am sure glad someone else is having this question. My display (HUD) or is it head down, says I am getting 21.7 mpg!!. My log book says, depending on trip, is 13.99 to 18.3.

The 13.9 is city driving, including freeways if that is what you want to call them, and the 18.3 was a trip to Seattle WA from the San Francisco bay area. The car 4-runner sport edition (V8) was at 1500 miles, so the speed was kept under 70.

Anyway I have 2 other vehicles to drive, so don't drive it that much, as I have only 8,500 miles total on it. Purchased 2/15/04

Still and all what is wrong with the display?.
  • grnwtrsgrnwtrs Member Posts: 13
    Hi there:

I have the 04 sport V-8 model. I asked myself the same qurestion. All the old aftermarket books do not come into the 20th century. Dealer books go for a "hun"
    and more. Vol 2 is the edition, according to my dealer, for the shadetree mechanic. The manual that came with my 04 tells me a lot of " changing various lamps, but nothing of oil changes, and where the filtter and plug are located.

On the V-8 I had to remove the skidplate to get to the filter, and a plastic plate further back for the oilplug. Oil plug is tougfh to get to, and drain the oil. You will need a small diameter filer to squeeze up to capture the oil. By the way, I am not sure if you can use a larger capacity filter. That was what prompted me to get under the vehicle. Besides when all was said and done, the cost of the filter at the dealer was the same as my cost elsewhere. Nuts cant save a nickle nowadays.

Fram has a gadget to replace the oil plug, and a screw on brass gadget to a 3-5 inch hose to drain in to a pan. My size is #3 for the V-8. Look ast the automotive stores to get a clearer picture. I don't plan to change again myself for a acouple of years. My dealer say he will do it instead.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "afaik, EPA _calculates_ the MPG, not throu driving." Not true. The EPA rating is determined by driving the vehicle on a particular course. The course, however, is not all that representative of the real world. Most vehicles real-world mileage tends to be a bit greater than the city rating, but lower than the highway rating.

As for the computer mileage display, mine is optimistic by several MPG. That was true of my previous car, a 2000 VW GTI, as well.
    So....i did a little off roading today..... maybe you guys can help me with something..

First the switch next to the steering with the X in the middle whats that for?...

Secondly..everytime like i go up some thing a curb or on a hill...the car first makes this KRRRRR sound like some metal grinding together...seems like its comming from the area where the race and brake pedals are??? any idea?

Thirdle i backed up down an incline and the damn muffler fell of its clip...went to the toyota dealer...YOU wont beleive what the guy said..Firstly he said...that you should off road in that its more like a 4 wheel drive grocery getter...then he says if some one rests their foot on this it would fall off the clip...so bring it in on monday..

Basically im posting to say be carefull with inclines..and please please tell me what the switch is...and what the metal clunking is ???

Thanks
    "First the switch next to the steering with the X in the middle whats that for?."

center differential lock. don't engage it under normal driving conditions.
    when on, it locks the front and rear axle so they spin at the same rate.
    tihs may cause binding etc on roads with good traction.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The EPA rating is determined by driving the vehicle on a particular course.

EPA mileage tests (pdf file) are done on a dynamometer supposedly taking into account "real world driving conditions."

tidester, host
  • sauriasauria Member Posts: 12
    I'l measure too -- what tires do you have?
  • rreeves7rreeves7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchase the Dueler A/T Revo's for my 2001 4Runner. I absolutely love them!!! They are quiet, handle exceptionally well and perform well in rain. I went one size up from OEM and have not had any issues. I'd highly recommend them.
    Sauria,

I have the Bridgestone 265/65/R17's. Had the 4Runner on the highway for the first time this weekend. I was surprised to find the 2005 V8 engine running at 3000 rpms at 70 mph. Can you confirm that this is normal for the 2005 V8 engine from your experience?

Thanks,

GBL
    Thanks for the input. I'd like to get something more aggressive than the OEM Bridgestone Dueler HT that I have. I had BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs on my previous vehicle and liked them, but realistically I do not need something quite that aggressive. I'll probably give the Revo's a try.

I did notice that the Revos in 265/70R17 are less expensive than the 265/65R17. I wish Toyota had picked a more common size. After the vehicle gets a little older and I start using in mainly for backcountry skiing and climbing approaches, I'll definately step up in size and get the BF Goodriches or something similar.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Thanks zeetech for the post. sjohnson2 hasn't posted for a long time. This is great advice for any of us who have the same issue.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I do not think that 3000 rpms at 70 mph is normal at all. I have a 2004 V8, and other than a bump in horsepower and torque, I do not know of any other differences in the drive train between the two model years. At 70mph, I'm only at 2000 rpm. Are you sure your 4runner is in overdrive??
    The 2005 V8 is supposed to be a 5 speed auto transmission, but I have not found an overdrive button. I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 that has an overdrive button so I do know what you are talking about. Where is your overdrive button?

Thanks,

GBL
    I have a 2005 V6. It does not have an overdrive button. Overdrive is simply a gear with a 1:1 drive ratio through the transmission. I'm assuming your dash and gear selector is the same as in the V6. If so, just look at the dash and make sure that the little light that says D (if I remember correctly) is lit. If you have any of the other lights -- 4, 3, 2, or 1 -- lit, then you have shifted into one of these gears. I'd guess that you have shifted into 4th gear.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    The grinding sound is the ABS system. It is used by the traction control system to keep the wheels from spinning. It helps in some situations, and hurts in others (sand especially). If you are in REALLY loose stuff like mud/deep-snow/sand then lock the diff (that X button) and all your traction control systems will be turned off. This will prevent the system from throttling down and breaking your momentum in situations where momentum is key (ie: sand). As noted above DO NOT lock the diff on dry pavement.

BTW, don't listen to your dealer... I've offroaded in this thing many times. Works fine for me. If it was just a grocery getter, it wouldn't be a ladder frame.

There are so many grocery getters that are available that it discusts me to see that serious truck lovers have little option anymore. I have an '03 sport and I'm so happy that I got it before the painted fenders and the stupid hack they call a third row seat. Get an explorer or a pilot if you want a third row. Sorry for the rant.