Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• mikey148mikey148 Member Posts: 4
    Re: XC90 T6 with GM Transmissions!? Well, here it is 3 weeks later and I have had the transmission replaced (see message #50 for original concerns & issues). I took the car in for it's 148K service interval and prioritized an R&R on the tranny. They could find nothing via the computer scope and test driving offered the same results. The mechanic (from the dealership) even took it home, hoping that it would act up either on the way home or in the morning when the engine/tranny was cool. Nothing! I left the next day on a 1400 km trip, pulling a light (but loaded) trailer. The car performed flawlessly there & back. On August 18, the vehicle's message centre displayed "Transmission Sevice - Urgent". I immediately took it in and they put in on the scope and confirmed that all that could be done was a replacement. Cdn$5800.00. The dealership seemed well schooled on handling disgruntled customers - they even had a tranny in stock - that I found unusual! Maybe this happens more than anyone realizes. I still love the vehicle and how it drives - Volvo should do the right thing and acknowledge that the problem should be a warranty issue. Mikey148 - Calgary, Canada :cry:
  • kerrymwhitekerrymwhite Member Posts: 2
    Hello!
    Thanks to everyone who posted here. My transmission urgent sign flashed on and my transmission needed to be replaced (2003 xc90) out of warranty with 67,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and didn't need more than to hint around that I knew what the deal was for my service rep to contact volvo and try and get them to cover it. I paid only $360 as a deductible for the entire replacement of the transmission and they gave me a loaner while they were working everything out. The whole thing sucked but I was happy with the resolution. :)
  • kmart5kmart5 Member Posts: 11
    Kerrymwhite -

Who was your dealer? Also, can you find out who your service rep spoke to at Volvo, and what terminology he used to get them to pay? I think that would be very effective information for everyone on this bulletin board to have ! (I'm sure Volvo would like to keep solving these one at a time and only greasing the "squeaky wheels").

Maybe give your service rep a glowing review ( "I'm just calling to get the correct spelling of your name.....by the way, you did you talk to a Volvo?) in a letter to the dealership in return for the info.

Please forgive the suggestion but we have to be as creative as possible.
  • volvoguy25volvoguy25 Member Posts: 1
    Very common for car makers to bring in parts from others. Volvo does not hide the fact that it's a GM tranny. When you look at the country of manufacturer for transmission, it lists US on the window sticker. Because of the size of the T6 engine and the fact that Volvo transversly mounts engines, there was a need for a very compact trans that could handle the power of the T6 engine. Didn't work so well.

Another example is the V8 in the XC90 and S80 is made by Yamaha, per Volvo's specs.

Yet another is the models with the keyless drive have buttons on them that unlock the doors by pressing them from the outside of the car as long as the remote is close to the door. Well, those buttons are made by Denso. Those EXACT buttons are also on a Toyota Prius. ;)
  • jcorsillojcorsillo Member Posts: 6
    I just went through the same thing, an 04 xc90 with 69k miles. How did you get Volvo to pay for this? Did they pick up costs of transmission and labor? Planning to call Volvo this week and would appreciate any tips.
    Thanks
    Interestingly, my dealer called us back after the second call we made to them and have offered to pay for the transmission (but we must pay $1800 in labor), because we've been a "good" customer. I found that very bizarre. I'm thinking of calling Volvo North America to see if I can get them to pick up labor. Where did you end up with them?
    Thanks
  • peppergurlpeppergurl Member Posts: 14
    You wont be happy for long. Last January, my transmission was replaced with only 48K miles. Last week, August, 28th to be exact, I was 100 miles outside of my home town on my way to a long awaited vacation and my Transmission Service Urgent light came on again. I had to turn around and drive back to the dealer were I was informed my car, with an additional 8K miles since January, needs another new transmission! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • baffledtxnbaffledtxn Member Posts: 7
    Yes, Volvo picked up the transmission and labor. I only paid for the 75k maintenance check that totaled less than $300.00. They classified the replacement as part of the warranty. My service representative was instrumental of getting Volvo to pick up the cost due to my extreme dissatisfaction of the transmission going out so soon on such a pricey SUV. However, my plan is to file a compliant with Volvo North America of my misfortune of the transmission having to be replaced on the car. Good luck!
    Thanks, will try again, they're only offering to pay for the transmission, need to cover the $1800 in labor myself
    Baffledtxn - Could you tell us which dealership take your XC90 to? I'm going to have to take mine in very soon - it sure would be nice to have a list of other dealerships that have taken care of thier customers.
  • zaverimazaverima Member Posts: 1
    I have a XC 90 T6 and the transmission needs to be replaced. I am out of warranty at 76K miles. After going back and forth with the service rep, my volvo dealer has indicated that I would need to pay for the labor at approximately $1800. Could those who have been able to pay less or get their service rep to cover a higher amount please let us know what your rep did to get Volvo to pick up the cost?
  • oldjim3oldjim3 Member Posts: 13
    1. I believe we would all help each other more if we would include the name and location of the Dealer we are working with. Certainly if any of us use the same Dealer it would be helpful. For reference, I am still without problems at 90K and my Dealer is Volvo of Calabasas in Calabasas CA.

2. To clarify some mis-information, all of the 2003 and 2004 T6 AWD XC90's (and some of the 2005's) had transmissions made by GM. This was not a secret and was disclosed in the technical sales literature.

3. Investigation into how Volvo is handling this issue indicates that all replacement transmissions are apparently a new design from Japan that has a good reliability record

Again, if we are going to hold Volvo's feet to the fire and help each other, we need to be a little more complete in our postings.

- OldJim
    oldjim3 - good post - I agree we should all be more complete in our postings. Congrats on a trouble free 90k.

Can you tell me about your investigation or give specific info on what the transmission is - as least where you learned that it is a Japanese design? I'd like to get more info as I apparently have one of these in my XC90 and I have some doubts about its long-term viability.

Thanks
  • oldjim3oldjim3 Member Posts: 13
    The information about the Japanese replacement transmission came from a Volvo of America representative.
    Does anyone at Volvo of America have a name?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The rep surely has a name, but they may prefer not to have their name posted on a public forum like this since that could result in an invasion of their privacy or harassment.
    Steve-
    I'm just looking for a way to determine the diffference betweeen hearsay & reliable info from Volvo of America.
    As a representative of a public company, I would think any "Volvo of America rep" would be happy to talk to any number of Volvo customers. At the very least, I would think, he or she would provide another public contact (if asked).
    I think this BB could be very helpful to many Volvo owners trying to persuade Volvo to take care of their tranny issues. The comments would be much more helpful (& credible) if they included specific dates, names, numbers, and/or email addresses.
    Don't you agree?
    We do have various manufacturer reps posting here now and then. But they are here on their own volition. Posting their names and contact info without their ok will just result in calls to our help desk.

Chances are someone from Volvo is reading the threads here on CarSpace and other forums but who knows.
    Simply saying we should ask their permission to post their contact info, or for them to provide us with another appropriate contact
    (anything other than Volvo of America Customer Service).
    Thanks for the responses - not trying to be bothersome.
  • boydlawboydlaw Member Posts: 4
    I have an '04 XC90 with a transmission problem. It has 82K miles and slips in 2nd gear. I purchased the extended warranty from Volvo. Turns out these are separate companies and despite the fact that the transmission service light went on and the computer registered a failure, the warrant company's inspector refused to replace the transmission. Instead, they replaced a sensor, told me the transmission will fail, and that I have to wait until that happens before it will be replaced.

I take it to Power Volvo South Bay in Torrance, CA. :mad:
  • badtranybadtrany Member Posts: 1
    Where do I begin? I own a 2004 XC90 T6 AWD with 61K miles on it which I purchased brand new of the show room floor. The thought was to own it "for life", not so sure anymore.

The transmission began to slip on Friday, September 12th, 2008. The car was towed to the dealership and looked over. Well, I got the word today that the transmission needs to be replaced at a cost of $6000! I am furious to say the least. This is totally unacceptable for any vehicle let alone Volvo!

That's when I began my research and found countless threads regarding the same issues with the transmission. My dealer says he's batting for me trying to get Volvo to cut me a deal.

If anybody out there has any advice on getting Volvo to occur the cost please send me a post.
    Our dealer in Westport got Volvo to pick up the cost of the Transmission, but I'm still out $1800 to pay for the installation. I spoke to Volvo headquarters and they refused to do anything else. By the way, the total cost to replace the transmission was quoated as $4200, so $6000 seems like highway robbery.
  • boydlawboydlaw Member Posts: 4
    I posted last week about my car - '04 XC90 with 82K miles. Just got it back from the dealer on Friday b/c the Volvo warranty company refused to replace the transmission. They just re-set it. So, it completely failed and disabled the car on Sunday and we had it towed on a flatbed truck to Power Volvo Southbay. Hopefully, that's enough proof that it needs a new transmission.
  • kari4kari4 Member Posts: 15
    Really, they do, how many of us have had this problem and volvo just turns a blind eye while all of us who shelled out a huge amount of cash initially to purchase this car ( all of us thinking I am sure the same thing, we would own a car we could count on for many years to come) have to continue to shell out more just to make it road worthy. It is a shame and Volvo should be hanging it's corporate head in embarrassment. I personally have started to tell anyone who will listen what a piece of crap volvos are and to steer clear.
    I had to have mine replaced to the tune of 5000.00. A 5000.00 problem on a 4 yr old car that cost over 50,000???!!!!!! Unforgivable. :lemon:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    Ya never know.
    It took Honda several years before they stepped up to the plate and made good on their trans problems. Maybe Volvo will do the same thing.

All you folks should get together offline and start a class action lawsuit. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet based on the seemingly endless complaints I've seen. You also may want to gather owners from swedespeed.com.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mikey148mikey148 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone in this group know how to go about filing a class action. As you know, most owners would not go to the extent of blogging about these sort of problems. I know many other owners just in my small circle that have had their trannies replaced and have never said a word! There must be literally thousands that have had this problem. My dealership service manager readily admits the problem has been ongoing for a long time.

What is the criteria for a matter to be classified or considered eligible for class action status?

Are there any lawyer Volvo owners in this group that could offer advice. I am sure many of us feel this way.

Back up & running, but disgruntled!

:lemon:
    Class action suits aren't so appealing if the lawyers make millions and the consumers get a $500 coupon off a new Volvo. That seems to be the end result more often than not. Maybe you should just check with your own attorney or BBB or consumer protection office (or just contact a Volvo CSR) and see if you can get a better result by yourself?

There are plenty of net search ads for lemon lawyer firms who offer free case evaluations for class actions; shouldn't cost anything to contact a few of them and see what they say.
  • denncoudenncou Member Posts: 1
    On 9/19/08, I spoke with John (x1980) at Volvo Cars of North America/Customer Care Center, and had explained our issue. On Wednesday (9/17) evening, my husband pulled our 2002 XC70 Volvo into the garage and the "check transmission" light came on. We immediately called Barrier Volvo to get it in for Service, and were instructed to bring it to Barrier Volvo/Southcenter (Tukwila)first thing Thursday morning. We found out later that Thursday morning that our Volvo with 63K miles needs a new transmission at a cost of $5,900!!!!! We are not the original owners, and purchased this vehicle on 12/12/2006 from Towne & Coutnry Motors (Bellevue) with ~40K miles. As of today, we have ~63K miles. During the 22K miles that we have driven in less than 2 years we have religiously serviced our vehicle at Barrier Volvo (Bellevue). In fact, 8/5/08 we had the 60K Mile Volvo Scheduled Maintenance Service performed with just 59K miles on the vehicle. The only issue reported, by Barrier Volvo, was that we needed a new radiator and we had that work completed on 8/7/08. My husband & I are having serious issue with that a Volvo with such young mileage, and serviced religiously would require a new transmission. Especially when the vehicle received the 60K Manufacturers Scheduled Maintenance within a month's time!!! When I spoke with John/Customer Care Center, earlier today, he had agreed that our car was fairly young to need a new transmission, and would see what Volvo could do to help us out. Later in the afternoon, my husband had received a call from Greg at Barrier Volvo/Tukwila and they offered $500. We are having extreme difficulty in accepting that Volvo Corp is not standing behind their vehicle, and not supporting drivers/owners of their vehicle who religiously take great care of the car. There is something wrong with the transmission that we/owners did not cause!!!!

On 9/22/08, we had asked of the Service Rep at Barrier Volvo to please tell us specifically what was broke with the transmission, and he called us back a day later and said that the transmission would be shipped back to Sweden and rebuilt out, and that they will not be investing any time into evaluating what caused the transmission to fail.

I spoke with an attorney, who said that it is a very unfair situation, but we would need to take the part to an unbias-transmission place to diagnose what failed in the part, and then have to prove it was either related to bad service handling on part of Barrier Volvo.. the attorney discouraged us in doing that as it would costs us tons of money with far more work ahead of us to prove Volvo failed us.

Today, 9/26/08, I called Customer Care Center to see if there was more that Volvo could do to help or support us as $500 coupon is something but it is less than 10% of the entire bill. We were told that there wasn't much that Customer Care Center could do at their level, and only the Volvo Regional Representative can make decisions, and the Regional Rep does not communicate directly with customers, and once the Rep offers a coupon that's the final word. Essentially, the message being delivered is that my husband & I have to accept the situation as-is and that there's nothing further we can do or no other Volvo top-layer person we can speak with so we best throw our hands in the air and walk away.

What a position to be in, a car with young mileage and so well maintained and serviced by Volvo dealerships. Now, here we are, still owing money on our auto loan, and we have no other options but to pay the $6K bill, as we can not drive, trade or sell vehicle with broken transmission. My husband & I estimate that we bought the car for $20K, and since then have put another $9K in repair bills on our vehicle that only has 63K miles!!!!!!!

This seems so unnacceptable! My husband & I obviously took such great care of this car. We bought the car in anticipation of needing a reliable family vehicle. I can not appreciate Volvo's stand in not supporting us consumers. I am reading about the numerous situations similar to our's with their transmission [http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volvo.htm] and feel that it is time to consider a Class Action lawsuit. I am seeing that others have a far much horrible experience than us.
  • db2814db2814 Member Posts: 13
    Hi: I own a 2003 Volvo XC90. Does this have the suspect GM Transmission? I have 147,000 KM on my vehicle and so far things have been fine in the transmission department. I have had to replace my brake booster, I changed the timing belt, timing belt tensioner and have to replace the two rear shocks because they are leaking fluid. Outside of this things have been good.

I am almost scared to change the transmission fluid. Should this be done and how can I find out if I have a GM transmission. Thanks. Dave
    which engine do you have?
    If you have the T6, yes, you have a GM trans.
    If a 2.5T, then you have an Aisin trans and don't need to worry.
    I would have the trans serviced every 30k, regardless of which trans you have.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You have an XC70??
    I haven't heard of widespread problems with that vehicle. Only the XC90 that is the topic of this discussion.
    Which engine do you have?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Dave
  • johngeojohngeo Member Posts: 1
    When a manufacturer says there is "nothing else we can do.", that is a lie. It is just a way to stop you in your tracks. What you need to do is to forget the class action thing and go to small claims court. In any states you can sue for more than the $6000 it will cost to fix the car. Often they will settle out of court to avoid the bad publicity.

I just bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 last week and this week it is at the dealer for a new transmission at 39000 miles. Fortunately it is under warranty but what if it goes bad again at 60K? I am documenting everything just incase I have to go to small claims in the future.
    Hi: I have a 2003 XC90 with 148,000 km on it. So far I have had no problems with my transmission. Did you have any warning signs before your transmission went? Also what is the name of your dealership so I can use it if mine fails. I am in Ottawa, ON and might need this as amunition. Many thanks. Dave
  • luvmyvolvoluvmyvolvo Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I'm located in the states, but I have an '04 T6 and the transmission failed at 45,000 miles 2 days after we picked up it up from the dealer for a 45,000 mile service and a transmission fluid flush. The only warning sign was a lack of power when the gas was applied then we drove slowly home (about 1 mile) and the urgent transmission failure message came on. We had the car towed to the dealer the next day. Thankfully we purchased the extended warranty through 100,000 miles, so we didn't pay anything. The service form stated that the radiator had to be replaced as well, so I'm guessing the failure had to do with the coolant leaking into the transmission (at least that's the theory I've been reading online).
  • rathi60rathi60 Member Posts: 5
    At 53000km trany is still ok.
    Problem so far: Rear bearings, cup holder,brake booster, tires & brakes at 30000km.
    My tip : Buy the ext warrenty 7yrs & 160000km worth every penny. :)
    Hi There: I have a 2003 XC90 and at 148,000 km my tranny is still fine (knock on wood) I have had to replace my brake booster 140,000km as well. Just got new tires and brakes as well. My question to you is re: rear bearings. How did you know they needed replacing?My vehicle sqeeks when backing up. Was this one of the signs? Thanks.
    Does anyone know how this can be fixed. Is something worn out that could easily be replaced? Thanks. :)
    Hi, You will hear a humming noise similar to tire noise. The wheels can be checked for play by a mechanic. Seems like you have had good luck with the truck compared to others.
  • giznolegiznole Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list - I have to replace the transmission in my 2004 XC90 T6 AWD. I only have 69,000 miles on my SUV and have had all of my maintenance performed at the Volvo dealership. Volvo offered to pay a portion of the cost but I think they should pay for all of it. I've copied the emails I have traded with Corporate and CANNOT believe that they said there would be no more discussion on this matter! No wonder this Company is going down the tubes!

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Volvo Customer Service wrote:

Subject: RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback:

To:

Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 3:20 PM.

The regional manager in question is not a customer contact and is the highest level of review possible in relation to this issue. When a repair is needed after the expiration of the vehicle warranty the regional manager provides, if appropriate, an offer of goodwill assistance. In this case, as you are well aware, the regional manager offered $2,600 in goodwill assistance toward the replacement of your transmission with an acceptance deadline of two weeks from time of offer.

We are distressed to learn the offer has not been viewed in the spirit in which it was offered. We apologize, but there will be no further communication on this matter.

Drive Safely.

Volvo Cars of North America.

---- Original Message ----From : To : Volvo Customer Service Subject : RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback: (INTR:300908) Date : Wed, 08 Oct 2008, 02:34:03 PM EDT.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I acknowledge the fact that as a car ages, there will be normal wear and tear that will require repairs and adjustments. I am on my third set of tires, third set of brakes, my navigation system has been repaired, I had to replace my upper engine mount, and the steering box/ball and joint kit had to be replaced. All of these repairs may or may not be considered normal repairs and maintenance. However, I do not consider the need for a new transmission at 69,000 miles to be normal wear and tear. I hope that a Company like Volvo would not consider this normal especially when I have had all of the scheduled maintenance performed at the appropriate intervals and by an authorized Volvo dealership. I also find it hard to believe that an issue can only be resolved by a regional manager and cannot be re-reviewed by Corporate. As stated on the website below, there are over a 100 posts of failing transmissions on the XC90 T6, and that Volvo can (and has done it in the past) cover 100% of the costs. I would hope that Volvo would see that there must be an obvious defect in the T6 AWD transmission. If you cannot provide any assistance on this matter, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with the regional manager's name and phone so that I can give him/her a call. Thanks again for your prompt response.

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Volvo Customer Service wrote:

Subject: RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback:

Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:08 AM.

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars of North America.

We regret learning of your disappointment concerning your recent need for a new transmission for your XC90. We apologize for any inconvenience this repair may have caused.

Volvo puts great effort into designing and manufacturing a quality automobile that will be as safe and durable as current engineering technology will allow. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer an explanation as to why your vehicle requires this particular repair. While it would be ideal for any vehicle to remain repair free, we acknowledge that repairs and adjustments will have to be made especially as the vehicle begins to age and is subject to normal wear and tear.

We are also sorry to learn that you feel the cost of the repair with the goodwill financial assistance offered by Volvo is too high. Unfortunately, this issue has been reviewed by the Volvo regional manager and cannot be re-reviewed. The Volvo regional manager is the highest level of review available at Volvo Cars of North America. We will check with the regional manager to determine if he will extend the timeframe for repair of your vehicle in the event you decide to take advantage of this offer.

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to write and express your concerns. Volvo is deeply committed to providing a quality ownership experience and is continuously striving to manufacture cars that meet the high standards of our customers. We apologize that your experience has not met your expectations of Volvo.

Drive Safely.

Volvo Cars of North America.

---- Original Message ----From : To : Volvo Customer Service Subject : Volvo Contact Us Feedback: (INTR:300908) Date : Wed, 08 Oct 2008, 07:33:11 AM EDT.

To Whom It May Concern - I am writing to you regarding my 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD. I took my car to Volvo on September 15, 2008 due to the transmission slipping when accelerating from a complete stop. The problem is intermittent but prevalent. A transmission software upgrade was performed however it did not fix the problem. I took the car back to Volvo the next day and one of the mechanics was able to experience the problem while riding with me in the car. The mechanic stated that he believed that the transmission was starting to fail. Finding this very unusual that a luxury SUV from a Company like Volvo would have a failing transmission at 69,000 miles, I asked if this was normal to have a failing transmission at this point in the life of the car. My car has been very well cared for with all of my maintenance being performed at an authorized Volvo dealership. Our service advisor told us that we could submit all of our service records and that Volvo may pay for a portion of the cost of a new transmission. Once he contacted one of the Volvo reps, he stated that a new transmission would cost approximately $4,500 and that Volvo would pay $2,600, and that we would have to pay the remaining $1,900. However, the offer was only good for a 2 week period (through the end of September). Due to the time limit, we felt very pressured to buy a new transmission and the problem was intermittent, so we felt stuck. We were not ready to spend $1,900 of our own money so we let the time limit lapse. Since then, we have performed some research on the Internet and have found countless accounts of having to replace their XC90 T6 transmissions. It is apparent to us that there is an obvious defect with this transmission and feel that Volvo should "step up" and do the right thing and cover 100% of the cost of a new transmission. If you look at http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_69842.html, there are numerous postings of Volvo covering 100% of the cost of new transmissions even though they are out of warranty. When a car has been taken so well care of as my Vo
  • peppergurlpeppergurl Member Posts: 14
    I posted back in December '07 when my XC90 had transmission failure at 48,000 miles. Volvo paid for parts and I had to pay for labor ($1400). Well . . . come late August of this year, with 56,000 miles on my Volvo, I had my Volvo all packed and ready to take a long awaited vacation. Our destination spot was 300 miles away. We made it almost 100 miles out of town and my transmission urgent service light came on again. I called my Volvo shop and they recommended I return home and have it checked out. So we drove back home, lost one day on an already short 4 day vacaction, had to spend $500 to get a rental car as my Volvo was going to be in the shop for awhile. (The dealership refused to give me a loaner car). This time it was under the 12 month/12,000 warranty, so the transmission replacement was covered in full. The same day I got my Volvo back I only drove it around for a short distance and parked it in my driveway. A few hours later, I went to start the engine and it made this horrible grinding/knocking noise. I took the key out of the ignition and the noise continued. I called the dealership and asked them what to do. They only could say take the key out, which I already did. It continued for almost 30 minutes and the engine died. The next day I had it towed to the dealership. Another $550 for a new starter. What next!!! When is Volvo going to take responsiblity for the bad design of this model of XC90?
  • margaritacmargaritac Member Posts: 6
    I too have had to have a new transmission for my Volvo XC90. Mine only had 49500 miles and I always took good care of it. I also needed two sets of tires since I have owned it . I bought it preowned at 12,000 from the dealership 2004. Countless times I brought it in for different noises and such. Can anyone tell me if the transmission they replace is new or not. I was told that all the trasnmissions they replace are new because the trans are sealed, so a rebuilt is not possible?? I had , thank goodness, the extended warranty. This all happened about a month after the factory warranty ended, so I was lucky. But, perhaps its paranoia setting in , but I could swear the car is not 100%. I am afraid to go long distances with the kids. I bought the car for this one reason. I wanted security and peace of mind, but now ?? I know with the economy the way it is I have to wait but I will probably trade it in for another SUV. I will enter any class action suit , just send me the paper work. Did anyone have any trouble with a persistant squeeking sound coming from hte front wheels??
    Hi: I have a 2003 XC90 which currently has 150,000 km on it. (90,000 miles) It is still the original transmission. The keys to my success todate seem to be luck but also the following: keep the tire pressures up so as to decrease stress on the transmission. 2. Change the transmission fluid every 50,000 km. (30,000 miles) and only use volvo transmission fluid. 3. If you ever get a flat tire that can not be repaired, you must change all four tires so as to keep the height of all four tires the same. Any change in height in one tire can damage your transmission.(This is not cheap but nor is a new or rebuilt transmission) Just don't get a flat :) 4. If you get stuck don't kill the accelerator trying to get out or you could damage the differential and that can eventually kill your transmission. 5. Drive your car but don't stomp on the accelerator all the time and stress out the machine. These recommendations came from Mister Transmission, which is a specialist franchise in my city of Ottawa, ON Canada. The transmission place says quite simply, the taxis that come in here for tranny fluid changes last about 300,000 -400,000 km. The taxis that do not change fluid on this schedule last around 200,000 and then it is new tranny install time. For my XC90, a rebuilt transmission installed is about $4,500 Canadian dollars. Hopefully I won't have to go there. Keep these tips in mind and it could save you lots of time and money. All the best to you XC90 Drivers. :)
    Hi There,
    Is your model a T6 or T5?
    Thanks for the tips.
    The title of this topic is "Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission."

T6
  • margaritacmargaritac Member Posts: 6
    My trans. that died was a T6 and i am still having issues and bringing it back tommorrow!!! Its unbelievable
    Hi: my model is a T6. Currently has 150,000 km on it (90,000 miles) Good luck and take care.
  • mpmoorempmoore Member Posts: 6
    The transmission on our 2004 T6 just failed at 80k miles--transmission slippage resulting in griding metal occurred after the reoccurance of a persistent false computer message warning of "Urgent Check Air Bags".

For the past two years we have had persistent false computer warnings--most typically "Urgent Check Air Bags" but occassionaly others. The dealer has had the car for weeks on end, reset the system, replaced software, removed inspection panels and chased wiring without solving the issue for longer than 2-3 weeks at a time.

The Volvo service manager explained that the problem with the computer electronics is almost impossible to solve because all of the systems are net worked resulting in a failure in one module triggering failures in the others. Another non-Volvo service manager I spoke with speculated that the transmission and computer issues may be related. Unlike their predecessors modern transmissions are highly "wired" in order to manage all of the information and controls associated with AWD. The significance of the relationship--relative to warranty coverage is important. I reported the faulty computer issues well before the car was our of warranty--if this same faulty system was mismanaging control of the transmission it is, in my mind, further evidence that Volvo needs to step up and make this right. There should be a recall on both systems and should do everything necessary to make the owners financially whole.

Like many who have posted I have had all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealer where I purchased the car new. The car has also experieced many of the other problems described--rear wheel bearings at 45k, brakes, etc. Also like many others we purchased this car "For Life" it is an SUV that has never seen off of a paved road and used as the primary car for my wife taking our children to and from. I now have a car which cost close to $50K--which isn't fully paid off--and is in essence totaled due to a failed transmission.

If Volvo of America is going to continue to hide from this problem they should at least change their slogan to, "Volvo for Life or Four Years" which ever comes first.
    Amen, we just got our transmission replaced (86k miles), Volvo picked up the part, but we had to pay the $2,000 to install it. Not more than 2 months later, the transmission seems to have seized up, will not go into Drive (just happened).