Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• naquinonaquino Member Posts: 6
    The most public issue is with the T-6, I have the V8 and I am on my FOURTH transmission. Volvo CLAIMS they switched to a better Yamaha Transmission and it solved the problem but I am having the same issues the owners of the T-6 had where the fluid leaks into the transmission and ruins it. By the way, I am the original owner, have always serviced the car on time at the dealership and I have just over 60,000 miles on it. Transmission 3 was installed at 40,000 miles and another 20,000 miles later.....I think this will prove to be a problem with the V-8s as well as the T-6s.
    So far, Volvo has paid for all 4 transmissions - even the one that failed out of warranty. I would usually find this admirable - considering the number of issues owners have had with transmissions I'm starting to think this is more indicative of guilt. Anyone with transmission problems like these - PLEASE post a report on the NHTSB website. It may launch an investigation into this tremendous safety hazard.
    Do you have a V-8? My 2005 XC90 V-8 is on transmission number 4 at just over 60,000 miles. I'm aware of the actions on the T-6 but I have asked an attorney to look into legal action on the V-8 as well. I was unable to find a current action on this model with the exception of the leaking moonroof which causes the moldy smell many have complained of.
  • rlw1226rlw1226 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for sharing your post. Could you please tell me who is heading up the class action suit? Do you have any contact information. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this blog.
    Thanks again!
    Rebekah
  • alittleboyalittleboy Member Posts: 14
    Hi Rebekah, what country are you in? If USA the class action lawyers are Chimicles and Tikellis, google it. In Australia, contact me on alittleboy@ozemail.com.au
    For everyone's information, my research indicates 50% of the T6 models have had their transmissions fail.
  • ehslenoxehslenox Member Posts: 5
    My 2004 XC90 experienced transmission failure 2 years ago at 59,000 miles. The transmission was replaced though getting it done took a month. Last week, while traveling 300 miles from Atlanta, the transmission failed, again. The car had to be towed back to my Volvo dealer (a very expensive tow).

My Volvo dealer replaced the transmission, without charge. There was no argument and no delay (and not a GM tranny). I had my car back witnin days.
  • t6troublet6trouble Member Posts: 5
    HI to all,

Just joined the site and am a new owner of an '05 XC90.T^. I unfortunately found out out about the issue after buying one of these units even though I searched online a bit before buying and did not see the tranny issues until too late. I bought the vehicle out of Texas and imported it into Canada. What are my chances of getting work done in the US or Canada if need be?

The tranny is not giving me issues and although expect it is the same tranny that has all the problems, I am not sure. The tag from the tranny has a number of letters, numbers on it. I found this site and discussion based on the numbers following :

A135 400. Other alpha-numeric identifies are as follows:

T615TP P8689242 WKJKF TP.

Is this the problem tranny?
  • tostiktostik Member Posts: 4
    The xc90 with the bad tranny is the 6 cylinder turbo, 2.9 liter.(the T6). These were only put in the '03, '04', and '05 models. Your post has a typo that says you have an '05 xc90 T^--I assume you meant a T6. If that's the engine you have, you have one of the bad GM trannies. An earlier poster indicated his research showed a failure rate of about 50 per cent. Most of these failures happen early--at 30,000 to 50,000 miles. Hope you got in the better half of the 50 per cent. In the edmund reviews on the '04 ( i think) xc90's, someone said they had had 167,000 trouble free miles on their T6 xc90--and no transmission problems. There's always hope I guess.
  • alittleboyalittleboy Member Posts: 14
    From my research here in Australia, the transmission failures range from 20,000kms to 165,000kms. That averages out at 95,000kms. For those of you who talk miles, that equates to an average of 59,000miles. Who could possibly think it's ok for 1 in 2 transmissions to fail in this XC90 T6 model, without Volvo taking some serious responsibility for this? How many owners do you reckon are having to cop the line from Volvo that as the three year warranty is expired, the owner is going to have to pay AUS$8000 to recondition? No matter where you bought your T6, where you've had it serviced, there was always going to be a 50% chance the transmission was going to fail and a very big chance it would be out of warranty period, and up to you to try to negotiate for Volvo cover it, or pay for it yourself. And from what you read in this forum, sometimes Volvo will help with costs, sometimes not. Note that most other reputable car brands offer warranties that are eg. 3year OR 100,000kms. Not Volvo on our T6's! Volvo are knowingly selling and reselling a vehicle that does not have reasonable reliability. Speak out about this!
  • tostiktostik Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    I agree. Totally unacceptable--and unbelieveable, given Volvo's by-gone reputation.
  • timdextimdex Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your insight, Tim
  • mealiemealie Member Posts: 3
    I stated a few weeks ago about my transmission going out on the highway heading to Seould, Korea. I contacted Volvo, in Germany, where I purchased it, who forwarded my information to Sweden becasue there was nothing they could do to help. I sent the repair cost, W 7,000,000, which is about $6500 American dollars. Sweden informed me to contact volvo North America. Well to make a long story short, I mad the phone call and within 5 minutes the lady told me to get it fixed by a volvo dealership and mail the receipt for reimbursement. It will be in the mail tomorrow.
  • jlynn917jlynn917 Member Posts: 2
    We have the same car. Transmission repaired at 35,000 for $4000 a year ago. Now engine repair $7000, 56,000 miles. Needless to say, my husband loved this car and we thought it would run forever. Guess we should have done some research. How can Volvo have such a good reputation? Everyone thinks it is safe, reliable, good value. Maybe it is because the boxy old style seems to be still out there. Unfortunately, such is not the case. My son has a 2000 Toyota Solara with 60,000 miles with the original trani and engine. Ditching the car after the repair. Has no value otherwise. At least it will have a 1 year warranty on the engine repair. Hopefully the transmission with hold out.
  • bsawyerbsawyer Member Posts: 1
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 2004 XC90 w/ the T6 tranny. Looks like this has a very high percentage rate of failure. I currently have a 2003 5 cylinder w/ 105K miles that I got used at 65K. No problems really except 2 tie rods & now my radiator is "stuck" on full blast. I was hoping to get into a new XC90 w/ lower mileage but it looks like this is a big risk w/ the 6 cylinder. I have read that some folks got a 100% replacement from Volvo USA but that doesn't seem like a certainty. Am I crazy to get this car w/ 68K miles? Maybe I should insist the 3rd party dealer gives me a warranty up to 100K or something. I don't expect to have the car after 100K (will sell it before that). Thoughts?
  • abbeyroadmanabbeyroadman Member Posts: 1
    Have the "opportunity" to purchase an excellent condition and dealer maintained '05 XC90 T6 with 46K miles for a reasonable price. Am concerned with the transmission problem. Seems Volvo is now taking $$$ responsibility for the issue. But will they continue to do so??? Buy or avoid and look for an '07?
  • eldagseldags Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately my 2005 T6 XC90 (with 115,000+/- miles) has the same transmission problem as everyone has, it goes to high gear right away with that alert to get the transmission serviced immediately! According to a very reliable shop I just took it to, no other choice but to replace the transmission. They don't even want it reconditioned. It will cost $ 7,000 +/-. This is my first Volvo and was convinced of its quality reputation when I bought it brand new.

By now Volvo should no longer ignore this problem. I traded my Yukon with 125,000 mi with no problem with this Volvo. What a shame. I have a 1999 MBZ E430 with 165,000 mi with no problem.

Does anybody have an idea as to what concerted effort we can all make to make Volvo listen to our problems?

Thanks,
  • kmart5kmart5 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't posted in a while but just put my '04 XC90 (88K) in the shop last week for a different problem but ,of course, I mentioned the tranny slipping also. The service writer indicated he was aware the problem is common but had to follow a series of Volvo-prescribed steps to determine the cause and then could possibly request financial assistance from Volvo North America. I told him (nicely) that I was following the issue on this forum and knew these tranny's were being replaced free of charge. He didn't seem surprised. He called me the next day and said Volvo approved a one-time customer retention replacement (the whole thing - trans, radiator, cooling hoses, etc.) free of charge. My dealership is Volvo of Orange County in Santa Ana, CA. I believe they must have campaigned on my behalf a least a little bit - they were very polite & and professional. I'm thankful I didn't have to argue a bit as I was bracing for a fight.
  • geokellygeokelly Member Posts: 2
    Mine just went out too. I have 108 on mine, Volvo will pay for the transmission, but I have to pick up labor. It looks like the same thing radiator, and some wheel items as well. I guess just paying for the labor is not as bad as the entire cost, although still expensive.
  • geokellygeokelly Member Posts: 2
    Stay away!!!!!! my first was replaced at 48K second at 108K , Volvo is picking up the cost of transmission I have to pick up labor
    Thanks for the very important info. How much did Volvo ask for the labor cost?
  • kmart5kmart5 Member Posts: 11
    When I was at the dealer, they had me sign the work order and they gave me a copy but my copy just has "no charge" where the rates would be. The service writer put a lot of text on the invoice including "the customer has realized over $7000 is savings". Also, something like " this is a one-time repair with no warrantee"
  • imissmy850rimissmy850r Member Posts: 7
    This just happened to my 2005 XC90 T6 as well. I have not gotten an error message, but the transmission started slipping hard last night on my way home. I read these posts here and was hopefull that Volvo will do the same for me. My car has 93K miles on it. I just dropped it off at the dealership. They stated they have not heard about anything on the replacing of the transmission but assured me they would have the service manager look into it. Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences. Has anyone had any luck with the new transmission lasting or should I consider getting rid of the car when it is repaired? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
  • berstlerfamilyberstlerfamily Member Posts: 1
    Jan 11, 2011... Just bought a used Volvo xc90 t6 turbo with 80K for $8,000 from a "mini cooper" dealer. When we got home we found a paper in the glove box that the previous owner left. It was a sales receipt from a Volvo dealer from 2 months ago. (Volvo had 79K at the time) Apparently the transmission, radiator, hoses, oil lines, hose clamps, and sealing rings were ALL replaced. Under Price it says "Warrenty". So if you are having transmission problems with your Volvo XC90 more then likely it will be covered under warrenty EVEN if your Volvo has 80+ thousand miles. Hopefully the new transmission they put in will last another 80,000 miles!!! :)
  • mog1968mog1968 Member Posts: 1
    Count me in.....the XC 90 is by far the worst car I have ever owned.....and I have owned 6 Volvos and have driven them all past 250 thousand miles. So I was an apostle until this vehicle. I bought it use, seemly pristine shape with about 59 thousand on it. I have replaced the throttle body, computers, windshield wiper motor among other things. And yes the transmission. Repairs are at about $10,000.
    In fact i found out it had two transmissions previously. It appears the radiator can bleed into the transmission frying it.....so if you replace the transmission you need to replace the radiator for good measure. It is a GM transmission--that is---made in Japan--for a car that was owned by Ford, and now the Chinese.

Today i just replaced the ignition lock and switch....(around $650) and also needed the shifter cable and other parts to the gear shift replaced ($712)
    The gear shift problem is probably related to the fact that it has had three transmissions....and the car has only has 94,000 on it.
    I emailed Volvo NA and was called by a customer service personnel within 48 hours as they promised . I was advised to bring my car to Escondido Volvo to get evaluated. The transmission problem as you said is due to radiator breaching the transmission where they may find glycol in the transmission and the other breaching point is the axle where they may find grease residue in the transmission. If this is the case, the repair will be done based on "goodwill," which means no cost. I will find out in 5-7 days exactly where I stand. "I'm crossing my fingers."
  • crys0125crys0125 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    So... I got the awesome Transmission Service Urgent message last week. I barely made it up the hill to my house. Had the gas floored and just seemed to creep up the hill. My XC90 usually dominates this hill. So called the Volvo Dealership (Jim Fisher Volvo in Portland), said to bring it in. I wasn't risking driving 30 miles down the I5 to get stranded. So I had it towed. A few days later and a bunch of diagnostics tests... apparently wasn't exhibiting slippage on the road test but when they hooked it up to the computers confirmed internal transmission failure. So.. the guy in the service department was very nice and has kept me updated everyday. Apparently due to known issues this has an extended service contract (warranty). I was told there were 3 levels or options I guess you would call it. 1) the warranty, 2) Volvo corporate, and 3) ME. So, on Monday this was submitted to warranty for review, then it will go to Volvo - I am assuming and hoping that there will be goodwill assistance. Then I guess whatever they don't cover will come to me. Well.. update after tonight.. Whomever they have to call in Atlanta has been closed since yesterday due to the freak snow/ice storm. So no response on assistance yet. Maybe they will be open tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they take care of this. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get word on the decision.
    I drove my XC90 home Tuesday night with no word from Volvo. The Service guy was real helpful and nice. On my way home the Urgent Transmission Service Message poped up. JOY! I left it at home until the Service guy gave me some feedback. They just called me and offered a 75/25 split to do the replacement. I'm pushing back now in hopes of getting the 100% covereage as the other people on here have stated. I asked the Service Manager to give me a call to discuss. After that I guess I have to call Volvo Corporate. I'll post more updates...
    So.. update... apparently my warranty is non-transferrable. When I purchased my XC90 from the dealership per the Volvo Service Center- it was not transferred within 30 days from the previous owner to me. So... no warranty.... Called the local Volvo that has my car and he is going to make some more calls. But said this is odd that it is non-transferrable. So...... I am still waiting. I was told to call the dealership I bought the car from to see why it was not transferred. I am currently waiting for a call from the Finance guy at the dealership.. And the saga continues...
    What Volvo dealership are you going through? I am at Jim Fisher in Portland, OR
  • fbiancofbianco Member Posts: 1
    Fellows i need your help.I picture of a transmission lights up on my dash only if i go over 70mph,then goes off if i re-start the car.I had my local mechanic re set the codes but it comes back on after 70mpg.The car shifts and drives fine.What shall i do.I know if i go to volvo they will try to sell me a transmission<she only has 69,000 miles thanks frank
    OK.. new update... Volvo Corporate is picking up parts and labor for new transmission- 100%- YAY!!! But... I have a few sensors that are sending off faults... so, $1500.00 out of my pocket to fix... Boooo!!! But I guess I got off fairly easy. I have about 85k miles so I guess it is to be expected. Good luck to all my fellow horrible transmissions. Don't give up and keep asking! Now lets hope this one last me long enough until I can trade it in..Thanks to Rich at Jim Fisher Volvo in Portland, OR for all his help.
  • jimddijimddi Member Posts: 11
    I'm going through it again right now. Replaced tranny at 79500 and now (89000) they tell me the axle is leaking oil into the tranny. My cost totally. I found out that even though we have 7 Volvos from 1978 to today, Loyalty is based on service and we do not use certified Volvo service because it is 20 to 25% higher than the Volvo guy we use. Very disappointed.
    Would love feedback
    I'm going through Volvo Of Houston in Houston Texas. Unfortunantly they have stuck to their offer of 75%. SUCKS! My part will be about 1400-1800. The story I was given was that it is up to the Rgeional guy to make the decision. I tell you what. I'm pretty bumed about the whole deal. I loved Volvos and I'm pretty turned off of Volvo now as a whole. I was impressed that Volvo was picking up the tab for what is ovious a poor design. I can understand a slip in design every now and then and then making up for it as needed. My first Volvo was a 97 850R that I bought from this dealer (Nil's Siefeldt then) and every since then I was impressed by the service and quality of Volvo. This is my third Volvo, and sadly I believe it will be my last, due to the way the "Regional guy" decided to handle my case. No loaner either. I'm stuck without a car to haul myself or my kids (I have 4 of them, so I need the room) around in for 2 weeks, and probably every bit of 1800.00. Good luck to everyone on getting what they need to resore their faith and confidence in Volvo. Mine is gone.
  • andrew1969andrew1969 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2006 XC90 T6 auto from a reputable dealer in Brookvale, NSW with 77000km on the clock. Two days later, I got the Transmission Service Urgent Light appear. I took the car back and the dealer and the car was taken to an Auto Electrician who was unable to find the problem. The dealer stated that the problem was probably a glitch in one of the sensors but was now fixed. The following day the light re appeared and so I again took the car back and insisted that the transmission be checked. The car was taken to Col Voss Transmissions and he down-loaded the code that is generated when the warning is activated. This car was then checked and it was found to have a shot 4th gear. Col Voss stated that the T6 transmissions are a real problem because of the poor quality of the auto tansmission clutch plate. The transmission is currently in the process of being re-built. The Volvo clutch plate is to be scrapped and replaced with a heavy duty one that is guaranteed for 3 years. So if you have to replace a transmission get a heavy duty clutch plate fitted to avoid having the same problem again.
    Hi All,

Seems my tranny is acting up, or so I think. No lights coming on, but there are some clunking and cracking noises occurring, particularly in this cold spell (-20C, 0 F). It started with some light clunking, knocking, and seems to be getting louder. Thought it might be lose wheel nuts, ice build up on the rims, etc, but no such luck. What have your symptoms been with your trannies as they approached the end of their useful lives?

The previous item discusses a heavy duty clutch plate to resolve the issue. I spoke with a Volvo rep who stated that the engine T6 (high rpm) is mated to a low rpm tranny causing premature failure through shearing, etc. Perhaps this heavy duty plate will last (or cause something else to wear, worse??) Any thoughts? If I have to fix mine, I would like to try the heavy duty plate.

Cheers, happy trucking.....
    One last question: From previous posts, it seemed like the worst case was the 2003-2005 T6 units, although I see the V8's are bad too! Not sure, but how different is the setup in a 2006 or 2007 vs the 03-05 years? If not very different, why can't the trannies/cooling systems be switched for the newer ones - I am thinking this is something Volvo does not even want to entertain as it would likely be more costly. However, are they not all the same T6 engines, bolting pattens, frame setup, etc? How difficult can it be?
    With mine, about a month prior. It would shift real hard from Park to Reverse when on an incline. The night Mine failed I was dreiving down the road and it felt like I just ran over a few logs in the road and then the engine reved real high. Eventually the gear would catch. It felt like the right front side of my car had fallen off, or I lost a wheel. I pulled over to see if I had a flat, but no. The next day I took it in to Volvo. they confirmed it was an issue, and on the way hoime that night the Error message popped up nice an RED alert in the middle. Hope that helps.
    I believe before we saw the "Transmission Service Urgent" message, there were clunking noise that we heard a few months before. We had it looked at but nothing can be found.

Anyway, my bad news is Volvo decided not to grant me the "goodwill" because my mileage is over 100,000 and that strictly speaking the warranty is done after 4 years and 50,000 mi. Volvo is asking $5,600.95 for the repair and had the guts to tell me that they are doing it for cost, so in a way, I was given a "goodwill"

I hope there is a good lawyer that can compile these transmission problems and file a class action law suit against Volvo.
    Anyone interested in joining in a class action lawsuit against Volvo? We would need quite a few people and then find a lawyer willing to pursue the case. I have gone to the top of Volvo and am getting nasty answers, the last of which was, "Your next step would be to hire a lawyer."
    Let's get after them.
    Have you joined a class action lawsuit? What is the status? I would love to join.
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    IF you look at earlier posts, there is talk of this. I believe the attorney is out of Penn-but he wants the old parts. Word to the wise, if you go this route, ask to have the parts saved for you-however-when dealing with a warranty issue, the dealer has the right to keep the parts themselves!
    Good luck!
    I'm in so there's 2 of us now.

Let's see if the headcount increases. I'm wondering how many we need for a class action.

Good luck!
    http://chimicles.com/case/volvo-xc90-transmission

I thought that I had read somewhere that a class action suit had already begun. I found this link
  • skier7skier7 Member Posts: 2
    My '04 xc90 just blew it's THIRD tranny. The first was fully covered. The second I covered labor. Its been five days now and I still haven't received the verdict on who's paying for the third. I'm sitting here stewing because I'm without a car, the dealer said they wouldn't offer a rental, and when I check-in on where we stand, they act like I'm a pain in the butt. And this is after the service manager said he'd have an answer "within a few hours" on MLK Day. BTW I bought the car and have had it serviced at the same place. How Volvo can brand themselves this way is beyond belief. Volvo has lost it's soul and whatever conscience it had. I will never buy another and I'm telling everyone why.
    I know the frustration well. I'm currently without my car right now because my transmission is shot and Volvo is working on it. Apparently it takes 2 Weeks to file all the "paper work" get the sign offs and approvals, and order the new, yet still crappy, transmission. I get more and more pissed off as I think about it so I try not to. Thank you for sharing your horror story This is my first transmission to have to replace, but because of stories like yours it will be my last for this car. I'm getting rid of it. Volvo did tell me there woudl be a 2 year unlimited warranty on the new transmission though. They seem to be very inconsistent on how they are handling this "issue." Mine is being replaced where Volvo is covering 75% of the cost and I cover 25%. They tell me that my portion will be about 1500.00.

Good luck everyone. I'll let you know when I actually get my car back. Hopefully next Friday.
  • angiemooreangiemoore Member Posts: 1
    VOLVO COMPLAINT

I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 that I purchased new through the overseas delivery program. My family chose this car for it's supposed safety and reliability. Along with other problems that needed attention in the first 50,000 miles, my main issue has been the transmission(s) on this car. At approximately 52K miles, the XC90 1st generation transmission went bad and had to be replaced. Fortunately, the Carlsen Volvo (Palo Alto, CA) service rep agreed to cover the cost of the transmission replacement. I was very pleased with the service and went on my way. In early December 2010 at ~107,000K miles, the transmission started to hesitate & function erratically while driving. The danger was frightening, e.g., when trying to accelerate onto a highway, it would not accelerate immediately, and caused a real danger to me and my children. Within a few days, the car was parked at my home, and was unable to engage in forward or reverse. I again called Carlsen Volvo,and talked to my service rep, who stated that I should bring the car in and have it officially diagnosed; she also stated that she would talk to the local factory rep regarding compensation. Apparently, the 2nd generation transmissions on the XC90 are also faulty, and have been replaced in at least 50% of the cars. My car was towed to the dealer and it was confirmed that the transmission had an internal problem and needed to be replaced. The dealer rep called Volvo N.A. rep, Wyatt, who offered to pay for the parts (~$3,500) but I would have to pay for the labor(~$1,500). My husband countered that we would like the whole thing paid for since it was well-known factory defect. When Wyatt heard of our counter offer, he not only denied this, but simply stated that the deal was off the table, period. The next day, I reconsidered and asked the service rep to call Wyatt again with our acceptance of the initial deal. Wyatt refused to put the deal back on the table and said we should pay for the repairs ourselves. I then called Volvo Customer Care who documented the complete story, contacted Wyatt via email to again present my case, however, Wyatt again refused. Apparently, because I have chosen in the past to have a personal mechanic service my car, change the oil and tires, etc., I am considered to be a "Disloyal Volvo Customer" and this was a consideration in Wyatt's decision to pay for my transmission, even though it is a defective part. At this point, I had to have my car back, and told Carlsen to replace the transmission. Carlsen offered a 10% discount off the total price. A very kind gesture, however, I had to pay $4,600 out of pocket for another new transmission for this car. It is well documented that the 1st and 2nd generation transmissions for this model have been defective. It is unheard of that a car should have a failed transmission every 50,000 miles.
    :mad:
  • chesapeake4chesapeake4 Member Posts: 1
    I'd love a little advice! My husband is on deployment, and I'm trying to deal with our car issues with a rather limited auto knowledge. We had a 2005 XC90 with the bad T6 engine - we loved the vehicle, but I don't need to be dealing with transmission issues. I just traded it in as the transmission was starting to give me major problems, and the warranty was almost up. We now have a 2008 XC70, but I miss the extra row of seats when we have extra guests.
    My husband badly needs to upgrade his vehicle, and we had planned to do it as soon as he returns. However, I just found a good deal on a 2004 XC90 with what is listed as a 5-cylinder engine. Am I correct in saying that's not the same as the engine that we originally had? I'm heavily considering trading in my husband's vehicle for this one. Before I go to the dealership, I just want to be absolutely sure that I understand the transmission issues, and that this vehicle doesn't have the same engine as the problematic model. Can anyone offer me a bit of clarification? Also, any major problems with the 2004 5-cylinder that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!
  • skier7skier7 Member Posts: 2
    In the spirit of being fair, Volvo replaced our THIRD tranny 100%. It took 7 business days to get the verdict but they paid for everything. Keep in mind we bought the 2004 XC 90 brand new and have had it serviced at the same dealer ever since. Why it took this long for them to agree to completely cover parts and labor is difficult to fathom. (first one was covered 100% with rental car, 2nd was parts only and no rental). So now we have our fourth tranny and I hope it lasts long enough to trade the car. I can't deal with this anymore. It's also galling to think I had to pay labor to repalce the 2nd one. Good luck everyone. Off to test drive the BMW X5 and Audi Q7.
    My former 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD was ready last Wednesday evening. I went by paid my 25% (1610.00) to pick up my car. The car felt great and drove home fine. the car did smell funny after the drive home. The next day the same, almost transmission fluid burning smell. This had no affect on the car's ride. The shifter stick started catching odd and felt strange to shift into drive. Past that I can't tell you anymore. I traded the car in on a BMW this weekend and I'm thrilled with it. Volvo did provide a 2 Year unlimiyed mileage warranty on the transmission. This was verbal though and nothing was written to that effect. I was very unimpressed with the way things went. I do believe it had to do with a DEALER Loyalty, and not Volvo Loyalty. I don't think the Volvo Dealership I took my car to felt I was a customer of theirs and I believe this is why they only paid 75% of the expense. This was my 3rd Volvo and I do believe it was my last. Good luck to those of you still sffering with these transmissions.