Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• wilinmspwilinmsp Member Posts: 2
    I might be in your number soon, as I have been looking at buying a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 recently. Currently, I am waiting to hear back from the dealership who supposedly changed the transmission - I want a part number to see if it is the redesign or the rebuilt .. uh .. piece of garbage.

But .. and the point of my post .. I also had a 2001 Toyota RAV. It's transmission died extremely unexpectedly about 2 1/2 years ago and I spent a small fortune trying to get it fixed and finally ended up trading it in when it became a zero sum situation. But today in the mail .. a gift!! I notice of class action against Toyota!!

It just goes to show if we make enough noise .. these car companies will have to pay. Good luck all .. and wish me luck. I really want this XC90 and if it has the new transmission - as opposed to rebuilt - I think I will go for it.
  • lemon2004lemon2004 Member Posts: 21
    :lemon: They are all rebuilds with new parts. They basically use the shell of the old GM because it fits the car and then add in the new tran. parts. They said they have figured out the faulty parts and have upgraded it all? Who knows because I've heard of several cases where they have 2-4 transmissions put into the same car! I want to see a class action suit against Volvo Canada for the labour I had to pay and everyone else here in Canada...in the States you get 100% covered if under 100K miles which mine was around 70Kmiles. I just got mine back and it runs like an old tank or school bus...does not feel like a new tran should!!! Still revs weird from 0-60KM and makes a humming noise like the air conditioning is on. This car is a LEMON and is going to be very hard to SELL but I do not feel safe driving it! Which is why I bought it in the 1st place!!! :sick:
  • wheatbreadwheatbread Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 2006 xc90, is this year also plagued by this dying tranny issue? Its a V8 if that makes any difference. How would I determine if the tranny has already been replaced?
    It is years 2003-2005 and the T6 engines models so I think the V8 2006 is a different tranny. Do your research on it.l
  • moregreenmoregreen Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I had the transmission replaced to my 2003 XC90 at 95,000 miles. I took the car to be looked at at Smythe Volvo in Summit, New Jersey. They said a new transmission would cost $5K. My friend told me to look online because there were many other people who owned a XC90 Volvo with the same problem. I am quite sure Smythe Volvo knew about this and said nothing to me. I asked what can I do and they said they could give me $1k for my car. I contacted Volvo headquarters and they put in a new engine at their cost. Here we two years later and I decided maybe I'll trade in the car. I went to Smythe Volvo in Summit, New Jersey. I was informed after they evaluated my car that it needed a new transmission. I was offered $1,000 for the car. I am currently trying to contact Volvo and see how they can help me. I had two Volvo's prior to purchasing the XC90. I never had any problems any than the usual maintenance. With the XC90 the constant clunking, knocking and grinding coming from the car doesn't end. I have to replace the tires on the car on a yearly basis and I don't drive the car hard. I hope there is still time to join the class action against volvo.
  • abomallstarsabomallstars Member Posts: 1
    Hey Wavytop, have you had any luck yet? The same thing happened to my 05 cx90 this morning. It only has 47,000 miles and I could barely get it out of the driveway today. Took it to my local Volvo mechanic and they checked the computer and serviced the tranny, but no luck. He said the next step is replacement.

The mechanic looked into transmissions in stock, and Volvo said they only had 3 in stock. A sign that these are flying off the shelves.

Let me know if you've gotten anywhere with this. Good luck!
  • wavytopwavytop Member Posts: 4
    Here's the update on my '04 XC90 T6 Transmission issue:

YES, it has been fully repaired/replaced -- and at absolutely no charge to me. I'm very pleased.

I took it in to Bob Byers' Ravenna Volvo/Seattle, the dealer I originally purchased the car from. They were very nice about it, said they'd run a complimentary diagnostic on it and phone me with the results. They phoned later the same day, said the diagnostic info was being sent on to Volvo NA, where it would be analyzed. A day or so later I heard back again from the dealer, and they told me that indeed the transmission needed to be replaced -- and there would be absolutely NO CHARGE to me for parts OR labor. They completely took care of it. Byers even offered a free loaner car while the repairs were being made.

The invoice notes read, "The factory warranty on this/these component(s) has expired. Assistance has been provided as a one-time goodwill gesture by Volvo Cars of North America/Bob Byers Ravenna Volvo in the interest of customer satisfaction and owner loyalty."

I want to reiterate how graciously the dealer handled this. I think it also helps if the car owner behaves in a reasonable manner when bringing the car in for service.

This is our family's 4th Volvo, and I grew up driving Volvos as a kid, so I'm glad to have this car back. I hope it continues to run well for a long, long time.
  • whosurpopiwhosurpopi Member Posts: 5
    Mine was also fully covered by volvo. While it was there, they did about $400 worth of repairs/maintenance. We picked it up around 1pm today, drove it about 30miles then parked it. Around 7:30 I left the house to pick something up, and on the way home it started slipping again. I coasted the final block to my house, unable to get it into the garage it sits in the driveway with a large puddle of trans fluid under it.
  • hussein123hussein123 Member Posts: 2
    Could you please let me know what happened with you, will appreciate any comment from people in Canada. I had the same problem exactly at 135000k
    Volvo Oakville in Canada priced me 8500. And they said thatnthey have no support or responsibility. Can any one in Canada advise please.

Thanks
  • wavytopwavytop Member Posts: 4
    See my reply on Message #787.
    Unfortunately I'm not in Canada, so I don't know what the story is there.
    Best of luck to you.
    You have to contact "Volvo Canada" and state your case...if your car is a 2003-2005 XC90 (the T6 engine is the problem..too powerful for that CRAP GM trannie they put in...they are all ticking time bombs!!!!) with the transmission gone Volvo Canada will pay for the parts worth $5500 and you pay the labour (in US they cover both parts & labour) You need to be prepared and call them 1st thing on Monday am (they are cloesd w/e) Then will document your case and then take it to the executive team. You should phone around your area to all the Volvo dealers tell them your problem with this FAULTY transimisson because they all know about it and ask what they can do for you in regards to a break in the labour cost. I paid $1500 labour tax included and had it towed from a dealership 5 min from my house to another dealership 1 hour away because I could not stand their attitude at Don Docksteader, Vancouver...luckly I have BCAA gold and it didn't cost me anything. Good luck and let me know what happens!
  • seekinginfoseekinginfo Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I'm very new to this but wanted to ask some advice. I bought my preowned 2005 xc90 (at 44,000miles) from a volvo dealership in boston in 2009. They assured me that everything had been checked and serviced in the car when I bought it. I've had it serviced there for the past two years. Today I had gone on a road trip when at 63,000 my transmission urgent service light came on and the car was not able to accelerate anymore. I had it towed 3hrs back to boston at a charge of $400.

A non-volvo mechanic had a quick look at the transmission fluid and said it was black and looked like it had never been changed. The oil light as well as the low battery light came on after it was towed (this concerns me as the oil was changed at the dealership yesterday). How often should the transmission fluid be changed? And should the service department have informed me of when it should have happened over the last 2 years I've been having it serviced there?

I'm calling the dealership on monday to find out more about this issue, my warranty, etc. I've seen that volvo has been paying for some new transmissions under 100,000miles, and am hoping that that will be the case as I don't have an extra few thousand dollars lying around. Is there any particular way all of you who have dealt with this issue have handled/spoke to the dealership in order to evoke that response? I really don't want to be taken advantage of, so any advice is welcome.

Thank you!
    It is NOT just a simple transmission fluid change...your transmission will need replacing and YES if you live in the US Volvo North America picks up the tab on this because it should really be a nationwide recall on these faulty and defective trannie's. You should get it to a Volvo dealership and get a FREE diagnostic on the car (call them and explain that you are WELL informed about this nationwide problem with this particular model and year). It is not safe to drive if you lost acceleration and the light came on then it is definately the transmission failing. You will then have to call Volvo north America fter the dealership had confirmed the transmaission is shot and they will start a case for you. Do not take any partial payment deals etc...state the facts that others in the US get it covered 100%. The dealership also should be helpful in all this if not find another. Good luck....it is such a hassle and this XC90 has very much depreciated because of this in value. Let us know your results!
    It seems to be alright now, but i am scared to drive it now. Time to get a hybrid highlander.
  • seekinginfoseekinginfo Member Posts: 2
    It's in for it's diagnostics test as we speak. I will keep you all updated with how it goes. Thanks again!
  • bmbibberbmbibber Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I just bought a certified pre-owned 2004 XC90 and within a month of owning it, the transmission went while I was driving down a major highway at night. Luckily, I didn't get into an accident (almost though). After further research, I found out Volvo had replaced the transmission at 50,000 miles with a rebuilt one while it was still under the certified pre-owned warranty. So this is now transmission # 3.

I've contacted Volvo NA several times and I've just been told that since I'm at 101K and that I'm a new Volvo owner that they have no responsibility to replace the transmission a 2nd time and that I do not qualify for a good faith/loyalty assistance because I've only owned this car for a couple of months. Is Volvo not concerned with building loyalty? It doesn't matter to them that my family has owned Volvo's for over thirty years or that as all of you have said, the transmission in this car is faulty. They seem to think that because I bought a used car I'm not a customer that might go and buy a new car from them directly. At least that is what I'm assuming. While I could buy a brand new Volvo if I wanted to, I'm not very inclined to at the moment though.

I've been told that the regional manager has final say in the matter and he will not talk to customers and isn't to be swayed, even by the sweet Betty that another owner talked with.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. While I'm tempted to park it on the side of my house and instead drive my trusty 1995 Jeep Cherokee with 250+k miles, I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion then parking it or paying for a new transmission every 50k. In my opinion, a good car gets 300k before being laid to rest and I'm not willing to fork over $48,000 or so over the next few years.
  • eldagseldags Member Posts: 6
    Just keep an eye on the class action law suit. My situation is I bought mine brand new, under my company name, religiously get it serviced by Volvo under my own name and then after less than 100,000 mi bought it for personal use and then the transmission problem. Despite explaining to them that I'm the same person who really owns the SUV(first and second purchase) they still don't want to listen and denied my claim. The regional manager doesn't even want to talk to me. I had mine repaired by an independent Volvo repair shop and they gave me 2 years warranty, for $5900, $300 cheaper than the Volvo dealer. Going with a Volvo dealer (which was the place I had my car always serviced) to get it fixed to me is adding insult to injury. The warranty is the same, two years, anyway.
  • sara36sara36 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all;
    I have the same problem as everybody else has with their transmission. My car is a 2005 XC90 T6. The transmisson is slipping very badly even at only 65,000 miles. It will require major repairs.

What is the good advice for the needed repairs as the car has been recently been imported from the US to Vancouver, CANADA. Will Volvo Canada paid for any of the repair bill?

Thanks for any advice that will be useful for me to deal with this problem.

Sara F
  • donyelledonyelle Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    About 8 months ago I had the light on my warning window come on and read "service transmission required" then the volvo acted like it didn't want to pull. I turned the car off and restarted it ant it drove fine, although the light was still on. I contacted volvo of america, did some research and found out that if i took it my volvo dealer where they can check it out take a picture of the warning light and do some other required things that volvo of america would pay for a new transmission. My volvo xc90 is out of warranty but volvo of america still paid for it because there is something wrong with the size of it and it cant fully function for the car. So, in the end I got a new bigger transmission, new radiator, new hoses and lines.
    I hope this helps you. But you can get a new transmission without having to pay $9000.00 for it.
    edited October 2011
    To recap, three weeks ago, my trans went and volvo gave me a free one. three days after getting it back, the trans cooler line popped off, and leaked fluid all over my driveway. Got it back again, and now there is a clunking noise, and cv joint grease all over the wheel well. I found a rip in the upper cv boot. (cv axle was replaced 4 weeks ago). The car is also very loud now compared to before the trans replace. It sounds the same at idle, but when giving it gas, its much louder now. The car goes back to volvo on wed to fix the boot.
    They gave me a brand new c70 as a loner. Love it.
  • grandmaccgrandmacc Member Posts: 1
    Hello my name is cecilia and I have placed a report on Rip- Off Report regarding the problems I have with my Volvo xc90 and my transmission. I would appreciate if you would read my statement on this problem I have with my transmission. This is the site... www.ripoffreport.com/auto-manufactures/volvo-cars-of-north/volvo-cars-of-north-a- merica-i-76718.htm. I feel like if more people report these problems that volvo will have to respond
  • goldentixgoldentix Member Posts: 13
    Ow...so sorry to read what happened to you. I bought a new 2004 XC 90----and....by 50,000+ miles I was on my THIRD transmission (and I drive in the city---not off roading). Yes, the transmissions on the early XC 90's were absolute turkeys. I wanted to keep my XC 90 much longer than I did---but I knew the transmission problem would happen again so I was forced to sell it. I lost money selling it as the transmission problem was a well documented problem I soon discovered---I was FAR from alone. Unfortunately, based on statistics---you're probably going to keep having to put in new transmissions if you keep that car. And I was lucky as I had bought the extended warranty for $3000 which covered my perennial problems on that car---although the scumbags (sorry---I wish I could be nice!) at Volvo of Santa Monica have not properly reimbursed my pro rated amount due me on my warranty as I finally gave up on my car and turned it in with my warrant still in effect---I knew it would happen again as the transmission was already starting to make noises again. Good luck. It was a beautiful car----if only the transmissions had worked..... (note: I bought an XC 60---but not from Santa Monica Volvo) and it's a great car---).
  • mtnmommymtnmommy Member Posts: 9
    ...after we had replaced a solenoid at 88k. I am so upset. My Volvo guru has it and said that it'll be 3k to fix- with a 12k 12 month warranty!!!! Worst part is that we tried to trade it in two days beforehand and they would only give us 6k. Bought the car for 30k four years ago so upside down as values tanked. If I pay this, it will bring the GRAND total of repairs in the last 4 months to...ready....$8000. Should have known when I bought it from a Honda dealership- at 45k miles and a lease return...any other brand would have been a certified pre-owned- I would almost bet the farm that the previous lessee had a tranny failure. Even Volvo doesn't want their crap. Don't know if I should just park it and buy a new car (back to Honda/Acura I go) and pay double payments for a year and a half or fix it and wonder what the thousand bucks I spend on it next month will go to. More of a vent than anything but so upset, so screwed...so NOT Volvo For Life.
    If you have a Volvo XC 90 and it's from one of the years with bad transmissions----just dump it. As I wrote in this forum, I was on my third transmission in approximately 55,000 miles and I only drive normal highways. I loved the look of that Volvo but---and planned to keep it for a long time----but couldn't risk a fourth and five transmission failure which I was sure would happen.
  • jpb610jpb610 Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice. I have a 2004 XC90 T6 AWD with approximately 65,000 miles on it. I have been told by the service manager of my local Volvo dealer that Volvo would likely replace my transmission if it failed. I guess it's not guaranteed. Due to the uncertainty, I have thought about selling or trading it in. I like my SUV; however, I want to be prudent about it. Also, are the newer XC90 or xc60s more reliable than my model year? Thanks for your advice.
    As I pointed out on my 2004 XC 90, I was on my THIRD transmission buy 55,000 miles----.

If the dealer is going to fix it at their cost---that's great----maybe Volvo is taking responsibility for selling a model with a faulty transmission that CAN'T be rectified as it was not designed properly, so they just keep putting new transmissions in.

I had planned to keep my XC90 for a lot more years than I did but sold it ONLY because the transmission was going to be a permanent problem----(three by 55,000 miles---come on!).

I have an XC60 now and it's a dream---but as for your XC 90---sell it before you need a new transmission. Unfortunately the resale has already taken a hit.

Good luck.
  • tostiktostik Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2006 2.5T xc90 with 70,000 miles, and it has been a great car. The 2.5T and all other volvo 5 cylinder engines have a great reputation for reliability and longevity. But 2006 was the last year for the 2.5T in the xc90. Most of the bugs were 'worked-out' on the xc90 by 2006. The v8 and 3.2 engines have turned out to be good engines--with good transmissions. The earliest v8's in 2005 had some counterbalance shaft bearing failures--problem solved in later models-- and the early 3.2 engines in 2007 had some oil seal problems--also solved in later years. The 2012 xc90 only has the 3.2 engine available, and if I were in the market for a new car, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Love my xc90.
  • littleleydilittleleydi Member Posts: 1
    Hello there. I desperately need some advise. I own a 2005 Volvo XC90 purchased in 2009 in NJ. It wasn't bought from a Volvo dealership so I don't know if I am covered in anything. As many of you there, my transmission gave out at 86,000 miles and tech at Volvo Dealership insisted that I need a new transmission which will cost about $7000. I didn't know that this type of car between year 2003 to 2005 had such a big problem with transmission till I almost went on a head on collision and did some internet researching when I got home. My problem now is getting the money to get it fix. I surely can't afford to spend $7000. I am single mother with a child to support.

I have read several post that Volvo will cover the cost if the car is under 100,000 miles with regular maintenance service. Does anyone there with the same car, year and model with the same issue as mine and had it resolve without paying a dime? I would greatly appreciate it if you can respond to my inquiry and tell me how you went about resolving it with Volvo USA. Thank You
  • hoosiervolvohoosiervolvo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 2.5t xc90 with 70,000 and am in love! Paid only $17k from a mazda dealership and had it inspected by a volvo dealership before I bought it. Volvo dealership said the 2.5t is bulletproof if you keep up with the maintenance.
  • jimddijimddi Member Posts: 11
    I have bad news for you. Volvo lied to you. Those XC 90's have a radiator problem that destroys the transmission. Mine was replaced a year ago at about 75,000 miles. You need to go back and challenge the lying guys at Volvo and get your money back from the dealer. Volvo knows about the problem but continues to stonewall!
    I don't know if the transmission problem continued to the 2006's----if it did----and I think 2006 was the last year with the problem---the Volvo dealership absolutely fibbed about the transmission problem. I kept mine in perfect maintenance and did every inspection on time and it made no difference---the transmission was misbuilt for the car and maintaining it perfectly had nothing to do with it. Nothing. As stated---I was on my third transmission at 55,000ish miles and I only drove on the streets of LA.
  • brad_g1brad_g1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sue, hoping you can help confirming the age of your vehicle. I've just taken by 2004 XC90 T6 to Silverstone Volvo Doncaster (Australia) with 117,000 kms (as requested by Volvo Australia) and I've been told that because of the car's age there is no assistance avaiable.
    I've been quoted $6,500 for parts and $1,900 for labour, total cost $8,400. Seems we've got the same mileage car - what year is yours and were there any exceptional circumstances that lead to you just paying for parts?
    Any additional information would be a great help. I also called an independent transmission specialist in Melbourne to get a quote and they advised they won't even touch my car, as the XC90 T6 is known for a transmission fail at around 100,000 - 120,000 kms and it is a pain job to fix.
  • leelanau7leelanau7 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your post; it's comforting to know we're not all imagining things. My 2005 Volvo XC90's transmission began malfunctioning this week by not going into 3rd gear. Immediately before this event, there was a sound akin to marbles rolling around in a steel drum coming from just right of amidships in the engine compartment (e.g. from the transmission). Whilst driving at about 25mph the other night, I then heard / felt a slight clunk as the auto-transmission tried to shift into third gear, at which time the red triangle light immediately illuminated on my dashboard, and the data screen read "Transmission Service Urgent"; I drove straight to a local Volvo dealer at morning's first light, where the tech confirmed that the transmission was failing rapidly and needed to be replaced. Later, I took it to an extremely reputable transmission shoppe, who diagnosed the same problem. Here's the deal: Volvo used transmissions made by GM in this vehicle for a short time, including for this model year. The transmission used is very small relative to the tight spacing it was fitted into. As well, its' components are also small relative to the mechanical demands being placed upon it to propel the heavy weight of this vehicle. Add to that the use of lower grade steel to make the gears / rungs of that particular transmission for a short period of time, and, well, a broad incidence of transmission failure was inevitable. Now, reputable shoppes are rebuilding those units with higher grade steel components that are more to the original standards that Volvo was known for (remember, Volvo started out in life in the 1920's as a ball bearing company -- Swedish iron was known as the strongest in the world; even the Latin name 'Volvo' means "I Roll"). Sounds like they found out the 'hard' way that it's best not to compromise, especially in this critical area of performance. Long story short, I worked with the shoppe to do the repair for $4,500US. Since my car has close to 79,000 miles on it, I'll probably have the timing belt changed on general principals, since they have to lift the engine out in order to get at the transmission...seems like a good time to replace the timing belt, as well. That'll cost me extra, but not near as much as I'd have to pay to do that item alone in the future. The good news is that it sounds like the gears produced today to correct the transmission failures (at least the ones I'm getting) are far superior to what was originally installed in the vehicle. I have an excellent dealership here in town who sold me the car who are helping with this problem, but certainly feel for those who do not have such options. Not sure if that helps, but the failure of the original bearings and gears in what may be an under-sized GM transmission being used in our Volvo's appears to be the culprit. Hopefully, the repairs -- backed up by my tech's 2yr / 24,000 mile warranty -- will ensure what is an otherwise great vehicle will safely remain on the road for many more trouble-free years.
    Why are you paying $4500. This is a patent DEFECT and this transmission should not need replacing anywhere near 100K or miles. This is not some CHEAP SUV...it retailed around 60K originally back in 2004-2005. This should be covered by Volvo of North America especially since it is under 1ooKmiles. Even now when you go to sell it it has depreciated so much you'd be lucky to get 10k in the US. The 2004-2005 BMW X5 is still worth around 18-20k in Canada and should be in the same league as the Volvo but this T6 with the faulty tranny is a lemon. Mine still runs like a TANK and I'm afraid it will breeak down at any gien moment. I put new brake in 1 month beore my tranny went and with the value so low I think I will drive it and get some value out of it as my tranny is covered for the next 2 years! You should talk to Volvo head office before happily paying $4500 and the timing belt well they should throw that in for all the hassle. They also change the radiatior etc... as it is thrashed after it explodes on you which mine did without the red light warning. This is unacceptable for safety standards I was looking for in a Volvo and shoul dbe RECALLED but they won't!!! I would NOT pay for the part and get a deal for labout...I paid $1500 tax included and volvo paid for the parts!!! Coquitlam in BC Canada was very friendly and extremly helpful. I know in the US they have covered 100% so check it out!

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Thanks mate [on the 'Volvo-pays-for-the-replacement-parts' idea]; I'll network with Volvo/NA first thing Monday morning and see if they'll help. If successful, I'll advise here accordingly. All the best ~
    You have to state your case as the others in this forum have suggested and tell them it is a well known defect& you know that Volvo has done"goodwill" and paid for this faulty tranny to get fixed at their expense on a case by case and since you have low mileage under 100k you should be covered even if you have never serviced with a Volvo dealership it has nothing to do with the fact that this is a ticking time bomb and state that it could have cause a real accident if you stalled in the middle of an intersection like so many others with kids in the back etc...Volvo is suppose to be a safe vehicle and they need to address this tranny problem before someone dies and they know all about it!!! You need to ask for parts & labour because it is a faulty tranny....and see what they come up with on your case. Good luck and state your case!!! I wouldn't say I'd pay for anything and say that Volvo NA has covered many other SUV in full! Canada is only parts worth $5000.
    Well mate, I don't know who you are, but thank you for your kind advice. I did call Volvo North America. Not surprisingly, they were very kind, and very helpful. Seems Volvo has a program available at the dealer level called a "Goodwill Assistance Program." It has to be applied for through individual dealers, and, I assume, would be something available for those whose Volvo's aren't that old, and which are already out of warranty. My 2005 XC90, at just under 79,000 miles qualified. Of note, the kind lady I spoke with at Volvo did indicate that such things are handled on a case-by-case basis. As such, I checked with our authorized Volvo dealer in town, who coordinated compiling all the details for the program requirements (e.g. photgraphing the vehicle, transmission, VIN and transmission serial #'s, and forwarding to Volvo's factory rep). Volvo approved it, and will cover costs for all the parts through their authorized dealer, while my original dealer and I will split the labor cost. I could not be happier -- and this just before Christmas. I do know that we are not only blessed to live in a very beautiful area (Northern MI - USA), but are equally blessed to have some very honest, above board dealers with whom to work; I can't say enough kind words on their behalf. This has really turned out to be a win-win for all concerned...thanks in part to you and your kind suggestion. Again, my humble thanks. Oh yes, and it did come with their traditional factory warranty. All the best, friend.
    Great to hear they were so kind and you were offered the parts and 1/2 labour. It really depends on the "dealership" for a deal on labour! I had mine at a NASTY dealership( 5 min from my house) that would not cut me a break on labour price since I was not a former customer so I called a dealership over 45 min away (had it towed there)who gave me a deal on the labour and could not understand why they would not want the business...they had 5 SUV all getting guess what..new transmissions. So I'm glad you have an honest and generous dealership and my point is for all those out there to shop around and ask for a good break on the labour once Volvo head office says they will give you the part for free which they should if under 100k miles. Have a great Christmas and I'm glad I replied to your email and saved you the $4500++
  • sdn2005xc90sdn2005xc90 Member Posts: 2
    I have 60k miles on my 2005 XC90 V8 and have long had a problem of excessive noise upon a cold weather start of the car. It goes away after warming but this is no light squeak - it is loud and sounds like all internal functions are failing. What's the story here?

Separately, intermittently steering becomes difficult esp to one side. Power steering fluid doesn't seem to be the issue. Anyone got any ideas?

FYI last service we replaced upper strut mounts and had a 27 point inspection
  • aalqudwahaalqudwah Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 XC90 T6 and my transmission broke down for the second time at 87000 miles, this time my volvo dealer has agreed to replace my transmission for free (parts and labor) out of good will... since it has less than 100,000 miles, and a 2 year warranty with unlimited mileage. The new transmission is different than the old one, it's louder with less pick up power. I guess this was there fix in order to avoid the continuous breakdown. Bottomline if your car has less than 100,000 miles then you should not pay anything.
  • xc90_2nd_ownerxc90_2nd_owner Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the website info... I have not yet had any problems with my car but I would like to know that there is a company that will stand behind thier substandard product. I expected so much more from Volvo! My tranny was replaced before I bought it so I will be watching it very closely towards the end of the warranty... Even though I have not been affected by these issues yet I am very concerned with the lack of integrity from Volvo, soooo I have added my thoughts and dissatisfaction with Volvo to the complaint... Maybe if enough people do this they will listen!
  • k_marie1k_marie1 Member Posts: 1
    We just had a problem with our truck’s transmission. For about two months the truck made some cranking noise in the front; on January 1, 2012, the truck kept jerking and eventually dash board light came on telling us to urgently service transmission. Got truck towed to independent mechanic who informed us that transmission needs to be replaced. Called Volvo manufacturer and they have asked us to take to Volvo dealer in our area for service. We are waiting to see the outcome of this.

Has anybody gotten compensation from Volvo manufacturer for similar problem?
  • thankful5thankful5 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for sharing this. I bought my wife a 2004 T6 about 3 years ago. Our transmission went at 140,000 kms (about 86,000 miles), very similar to the timing of so many other posters in this forum.

We were gutted as this is the car the family uses to drive the kids around, thinking it was the safest car on the road. But paying thousands for a new transmission is just not possible on one income.

Reading this forum it appeared that only our American friends were getting anywhere, but your testimony of getting this taken care of has led down the same path. I called Volvo Canada and no sooner had I told them the model,year and problem, did they tell me that they would pay for the parts and I have to pay for the labour. (That is after I get an official diagnostic done to show that my transmission is actually defunct.) Anyway, I haven't had a quote yet on the cost, but I'm hoping that I come in at around the same cost.

Thanks again for sharing as it has given me clear plan on how to take care of our problem.
    Sorry to hear the news, 'Thankful 5' (about your transmission), but great to learn that Volvo Canada will help you with this. Again, our humble thanks for our other Canadian friend who started us off on the path to Volvo HQ's door to investigate the "Goodwill Assistance Programme." I know there have been some unfortunate stories out there, but I can say that my experience with Volvo through this ordeal has been purely positive. They were very supportive, and stood behind their promise to take care of a new transmission for me. I got my car back just a few days ago (after the repair), and it drives and shifts better than ever. Even the dealer I bought it from here (not a Volvo dealer) paid for half the labour charge to help me further, even though the transmission failure occurred some 95-days after I bought it; perhaps your dealer may help you, too, if you are within a short period of time from your purchase date? Interestsingly, there does not seem to be as much of this problem with their 5-cylinder models, only the T6s that had that GM transmission in them for those few years. The car is really "bullet-proof", and the newly remanufactured transmissions that Volvo designed to replace the bad ones is a solid fix that should give us many trouble-free years of service; I still have nothing but praise for them on my end...will say some prayers for you and your experience, too.
    Where in Canada are you? Coquitlam in BC gives a FREE diagnostic but I found that out too late after Don Docksteader charge me $200. Call around to the dealerships first and tell them you issue... Volvo Canada will pay for parts and you are looking for a deal on labour. I paid $1500 tax included at Coquitlam and the staff are AMAZING. You have to get a quote and they all know about this problem and should be more than willing to do the work and give you a fair break on the labour...if not call another dealership. I had to tow my car an hour away but I was not willing to give Don Docksteader another dime as they would not give me a break on the labour and they had my car sitting there & I could not drive it... it was towed there because it is 10 min from my house) luckly I had BCAA gold and they towed it...what a relief to get it off the lot and given to a dealership that was honest and extremely friendly. Good luck and let us know your outcome. We have the 2 year warranty....the car drives like a tank because the tranny is slow/changed to handle the T6 but we want to get out of it as we have read the horror stories of 2,3 & 4 trannies replace in one car!!! Unfortunately this car is now depreciated in value and hard to sell I'm sure???
  • cjbohiocjbohio Member Posts: 5
    Was unlucky enough to join the party this weekend... The Trans Service Urgent light appeared while my wife was driving home from work. I own another Volvo, and I have financed through VCF in the past. I am hoping that the Regional Rep for VNA takes these things into consideration as I am very skeptical about the "Good Will Program" until I hear back from the dealership. The woman with whom I spoke at VNA was very kind, and she appeared to have some compassion for my situation (the initial woman with whom I spoke was cold, and told me to call back with a VIN). Still, it falls to the Regional Manager for VNA... I suspect that he will ask why I didn't drive 30 miles to a Volvo dealer for a $400 synth oil change and rotation or $800 spark plug change for service intervals. I used the Midas down the street for easy intervals, which are alll documented. I think that is how Volvo has been mitigating offering up parts only in a lot of situations. We'll see... The XC90 gets flat-bedded to the dealer today. Hopefully, I hear back soon. No loaner until mid-week, which accentuates the suckiness of the entire saga. Very disappointed as Volvo has been a champ for me so far. Hopefully, the VNA does the right thing. I will remain a Volvo buyer if they do so.
    Does not matter if you got an oil change elsewhere...this is a well documented patent defective transmission in the 2003-2005 XC90 T6...they put in a faulty transmission they need to replace it for free. Don't let them veer from this fact....they made me feel the same at the 1st dealership since I never serviced with them....doesn't matter just prove you serviced the car on a regular basis (I went to a family oil change company and just sent them all my reciepts) VNA should at the least give you the parts for free then work with your dealership...if they are cold and rude like the 1st place I went to becasue it was close then go somewhere else...call around and get a deal on the labour when you hear the word from VNA.
  • cjbohiocjbohio Member Posts: 5
    What about second ownership? We purchased this vehicle used with low mileage. The dealer implied that would be a factor...
  • upsetatvolvoupsetatvolvo Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 XC90 T6 has had the same issues with the transmission at 90k miles. It broke down on my family and I while driving home from our Thanksgiving travels. We had it worked on at a dealership in the city where it quit shifting on us and they did a "TCM update". Just this past weekend (not 6 weeks later) we got the "Transmission Service Urgent" msg again and took it to our local dealership (where we originally bought it). They said they were able to do another "TCM update" because the program had been updated within the last 6 weeks. I was told this is their "procedure" before they can get Volvo NA to replace the transmission. Has anyone else had this experience or gone through these "procedures" prior to having the transmission replaced. Given the mileage on my vehicle, I feel as if they are prolonging the inevitable in hopes that I'll pass that 100k mark and then they won't replace it...