Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• grnwtrsgrnwtrs Member Posts: 13
    Hi Jeff:

I also get about 13.5 mpg after driving 164.4 miles on a fill-up. I have the 2004 with the V-8 , a sport model. Mine is strickly local driving, to home depot, costco, etc. I think my total mileage on the vehicle is 7500 miles.

On a trip last year of about 1800 miles, we averaged 17mpg. Someone on this board suggested upping the tire pressure. I think that has merit. I note that after the dealer had the car for a oil change, my mileage went down. On my trip to Seattle Wash, I had upped the tire pressure to 40 psi. Maybe I should check my tire pressure!!

JMO

Gene
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    if you're doing mostly highway driving. Hybrid's efficiency advantage comes in stop and go driving, where the gas engine is shut down. I doubt you'd see much advantage on the highway.

Personally, I'd much prefer a good turbo-diesel. The MB E320 diesel is faster than the E320 gas was (now replaced by the E350 gas) and gets about 25% better mileage.

A torque-monster straight-six turbo-diesel would make a great engine for a truck.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Right! Certainly that is how the Prius operates. Not sure if the RX 400 operates the same way, given the larger base engine.

Any thoughts on topping off? I have heard people advise against it for various reasons such as sensor damage. Not sure how that works. There may be some kind of air lock that may be a safety in case of a car wreck.

I wonder what the real tank capacity is?
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    tank capacity is 23 gallon, according to my 2005 v6 4wd manual.
    I have frequently put in over 23, almost 24 the other day.
  • drrobbodrrobbo Member Posts: 1
    I have been in many SUV's, my 2002 Sport has some sturdy shocks, but I don’t consider it a bumpy ride. Especially w/ the tork it provides either off the light or on the freeway. O/D off and ECT on, the beast takes off and gets me where I need to be.
  • cyidicyidi Member Posts: 1
    I want to know what brand and what specifications did the premium radio that came with the 1997 4 runner have.
  • 4me4me Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 4-Runner Limited V6 and I needed to change my oil this weekend and I don't have any manual.Could anyone provide the correct fill amount with filter (US quarts)? Thanks.
  • jefferjeffer Member Posts: 31
    Dang, I had a nice long post typed up and I somehow hit the wrong key and it disappeared into cyberspace I guess.

Anyway, I'm looking for anyone who has experience putting a kayak up on top of a 4Runner. I currently have a Nissan Maxima with a Thule rack and it ain't easy on that. I have this post on the HL site with more details. I didn't get any viable responses there. I think they only use their vehicles for groceries mostly. :surprise:

jeffer, "Toyota Highlander Owners: Problems & Solutions" #2671, 10 May 2005 10:06 pm
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Dang, I had a nice long post typed up and I somehow hit the wrong key and it disappeared into cyberspace I guess.

Oftentimes you can hit the back page button on your browser and recover what you had entered. Of course, it depends on which browser you use and which wrong key you hit.

tidester, host
  • mojaymojay Member Posts: 8
    "Rotten milage, to boot" - Car-and-Driver rated it second best "tow vehicle" (behind a Ford F-350 - which can tow a two story house, albeit with rotten gas milage) because the gas milage AND tow rating are way above average for a V8 SUV of its size.
    "Oftentimes you can hit the back page button"

I did try that. I think I hit some weird combination of my left mouse button, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, space bar or something like that. It was totally spastic. I'm actually a computer guy so sometimes my fingers get ahead of me. It did seem like the browser changed windows but it lost whatever I was doing. Oh well, I pretty much recreated it.

Sooo, any 4Runner owners out there into kayaking? I'm starting to think that as cool as the 4Runny is it may not be the best thing for what I'm looking for. I just got back from a Subaru dealer and liked some of what I saw. The new Outback is more roomy then previous model years. But Whoa Boy, those dang upscale versions will cost you a pretty penny - $34K for the VDC model.
  • hokiefanhokiefan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem putting an aftermarket weight distribution hitch into their receiver? I have a 2004 4Runner and the dealer is telling me that the receivers are not standard. 1.9 not 2.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    Re Toyota 4 runner roof racks. Easy to set up properly with the Thule mounts to side rails and Thule bars on those. The Toyota rails are strong. I have run 18 ft canoe, 3 mountain bikes, several windsurfers and gear with no problems. Only think to watch out for is the rear spoiler, which can get in the way when opening tailgate.
    Polartoy
  • johnny5johnny5 Member Posts: 13
    Jeffer,
    I posted on the HL forum, but saw that you cross posted here as well. Besides groceries, I use my HL alot for going fishing in my kayaks. I have a 2004 Highlander Limited and use the Yakima Lowrider rack with 58" crossbars, one pair of Mako saddles and one pair of LandShark saddles for the 2 kayaks that my son and I use to go fishing in CT. I also have the Boatloader accessory which is a bar that mounts inside the crossbar and extends out to the side for providing a support to place one end of the boat while I lift the other end into one set of saddles. You then just walk it into the other set of saddles and then slide and lock the bar back into the corssbar. It allows one person to manage getting the kayak up and down with little fuss. Just take care not to let the end on the ground slide. If it does, then the front of the boat can slide off the Boatloader bar and scratch the daylights out of the side of you car (which is what happened on my old car, not on my highlander). Also, like someone else pointed out, take car opening your rear hatch with the boats on top. Mine are 12' and 16' and could ding the spoiler if I'm not careful. Good luck and hope this helped.
  • stx1100stx1100 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 SR5 4Runner. I noticed that many 4Runners I pass on the road have the front parking/turn signal lights on, using them almost like Daytime Running Lights (their rear tailights are not on so it doesn't seem like they have the parking lights in the "on" position). Does anyone know what year 4Runners came with the feature that has the parking/turn signal lights always on? My 2004 does not have that feature. Thanks :surprise:
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I believe only the Limited 4Runners have that feature....the Sport and SR5 models do not. I hope this answers your question, and enjoy your new 4Runner!!
    My 2005 Sport Edition has the Daytime Running Lights. It was an option that came with the package I purchased. It is strange that there are no rear DRL's!
    Thanks Johnny5 - sorry I was being a little provacative with my groceries comment - ;-)

Anyway, this is exactly the information I was looking to hear. I'm still not entirely clear though on how the Boatloader works. Is it just an extension on the load bar? Therefore you would have to lift one end of the boat the height of the load bar, or does it somehow dip lower then the load bar? Once on the Boatloader I assume you rest it there, or is there something that holds it there? Then move down to the other end of the boat and lift and slide. Is that basically it?

The problem I currently have is that I strap on a set of wheels to walk the boat into position and generally move it around due to the fact it is too darn heavy to carry by myself. This works great until I lift one end to prop on my trunk. You have to hang on to the boat otherwise it will slide off due to the wheels rolling and gravity. I like to leave the wheels on when transporting cause it makes it easy to maneuver when I get there and unload the boat. The boat is 17' and 65lbs. Maybe I should just get a smaller boat??

thanks again, and great to hear from a fellow yakker!
    Jeffer
    Never mind most of my previous post. I Googled and found a couple diagrams on the Boatloader. Seems Yakima is the only one that makes one. But it could be the answer to my dilema.

Anyone use this device on a 4Runner?

thanks again,
    Jeffer
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's about what my 17' open canoe weighs so yours is pretty typical.

Think of the Boatloader as a small pipe inside a bigger pipe. You slide the smaller pipe out and rest an end of the boat on it as you horse the boat up on top of the racks. This keeps your gunnels off the paint on the back of the SUV, hopefully.

I usually drag my canoe to the rear of the minivan when I load mine, and grab it near the bow or stern and lift and roll it up and onto the rear crossbars. Then I slide it forward from the rear of the van. Sometimes it's easier to do that than try to lift it that high with two people.

Maybe if you flipped the boat over as you load it the wheels will be off the ground?

Steve, Host
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    My 2003 Sport edition V8 also has the parking lights option.
    Thule makes a similar product called Outrigger 2.
  • atoyot4ratoyot4r Member Posts: 1
    Ideas as to where the fuel pump wire harness is located on a 1993? I need to disconnect to depressurize. thanks.
  • johnny5johnny5 Member Posts: 13
    Jeffer,
    No problem about the groceries :) I used to have a '95 Mitsubishi Diamante and loaded my kayaks (Wilderness Systems 16' tandem Pamlico and a 12' Pungo) using a Wheel Boy and a piece of carpet over the back trunk deck. Once I lifted one end of the kayak onto the trunk, I just slid it all the way up over the carpet and into the saddles in one smooth motion.

The Highlander is much taller and I don't want to take the chance of scratching the hood, since I don't think you could load over the rear spoiler. To answer your questions:

Is it just an extension on the load bar? Yes, it fits inside the crossbar and slides out and locks in place.

Therefore you would have to lift one end of the boat the height of the load bar, or does it somehow dip lower then the load bar? You have to lift one end to the height of the load bar and let it rest there at an angle. It's possible to do this if you lay your kayak next to your car with the end about 2 feet past the position of the crossbar. Then lift it into place.

Once on the Boatloader I assume you rest it there, or is there something that holds it there? Then move down to the other end of the boat and lift and slide. Is that basically it? Nothing holds it in place, so take care not to let the other end (the end still on the ground) slide out from under you. If that happens, then the propped up end will slide off the boatloader bar and scratch your car.

My boats are about 85 and 50 lbs. When I go with my son it's easier. When I go out by myself, I use the smaller boat. I'm thinking of a way to load from the front that would keep the car from getting scratched. I'll let you know if I find a better way. If you want, I could email you photos of the sequence involved in loading and unloading. Check out the following links and good luck.

http://www.yakima.com/home.html Go to Products - Water - Water Accessories and chose boatloader.

Also, I just checked out the Thule web site and noticed that they have a new product that might be just what you need called the Hullivator.
    http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/featured_product_hullavator.asp
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    there isn't a fuse you can pull to accomplish the same thing? Or what did I miss here?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ellemellem Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here at Edmunds so please forgive me and correct me if I'm posting incorrectly. ;)

A month ago I bought a SR5 4Runner. We own 2 other 4wheel drives - a 2002 Explorer and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with 140,000 miles that I just gave to my 16 year old newly driving daughter to drive. Anyway, I've read through a lot of the posts and noticed that my only complaints are basically some of the notorious ones that others have. I can't seem to get comfortable in the driver's seat. When I'm back far enough to give my legs room my arms seem too far away from the steering wheel. Weird that. Next time I'll upgrade just for the telescoping wheel. Also, I'm one of the lucky ones with the steering wheel vibration. Yes, in a 2005.

Two weeks ago, I drove about 2 hours up into the Pennsylvania mountains. All on the interstate. Being new, the vehicle had about 400 miles on it. The vibration comes on at about 62 mpg and disappears at about 68. I'll tell you, this tends to drive you crazy when driving on the highway for any length of time. It lead me to search out a forum like this to see what other owners had to say and to see if I was losing my mind. I saw today that Toyota FINALLY is recalling some vehicles with suspension problems (scratched ball joint?) and said it affects the steering. The 2004 4Runners will be under the recall but I didn't see anything about 2005. Does anyone know if this recall has anything to do with the cause of the vibration?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards,

Elle
    No, the recall does not affect the 4th generation 4Runner and the defect does not involve vibration. According to the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press, the recall covers only 2001-2002 4Runners (along with 2001-2004 Tacomas, 2002-2004 Tundras, 2002-2004 Sequoias). The 2003, 2004, and 2005 4Runners are not affected.

Whatever is causing your vibration is not due to this defect.

I suggest that you do the following: 1) get your wheels balanced on a Hunter balancing machine, 2) have the wheels and tires checked for out of round, 3) get a 4 wheel alignment.
  • bvanhoffbvanhoff Member Posts: 1
    I'm a 6'6" guy and I fit pretty well in my wife's 4runner. We purchased the SR5 4x4 in 2003 with a sunroof. It's pretty much the same model that's available now. I mention the sunroof because with the sun-shade for the roof open I fit in fine. With the shade closed I can feel my head touching the ceiling. I'm told that the Sport and Limited models have less headroom (not sure why). I test-drove a limited and didn't note that headroom was a problem. I sit with the seat reclined a bit more than the usual driver, so I'm sure that this gives me a bit more headroom than if you prefer driving closer to the steering wheel. Overall our 4runner has been incredible. We've only had minor problems with the sunroof motor which they promptly replaced.

good luck
  • jkdjkd Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had experience with adding a hypertech chip to 2004 4runner (V8)?
  • nymomnymom Member Posts: 17
    I have been looking at possibly purchasing the2005 4Runner but have not read very much about the optional third row. Was wondering about the room back there. Is it just enough for children or could an average size adult fit back there. Any opinions on the third row would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • hartsharts Member Posts: 2
    If anyone has a 2005 4Runner, please let me know if both the words Passenger and Airbag are illuminated in orange when you turn on your park lights or headlights. Right now only the work Airbag will illuminate. However, I thought both words illuminated when I purchased the vehicle. Please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'd be surprised if you can get a small child back there. Putting an average sized adult back there would seem to me to be cruel and unusual punishment.
    Hi nymom,

I looked into that third row seat just last month when I bought my 2005 4Runner. I need extra seats occasionally when I'm hauling my teen's friends around. Basically, it's unusable. :( Maybe it's ok for small children or very small adults, like under 5ft tall and I'm not kidding. It's the head room that's the problem. The thing is, if your kids are small enough to fit back there then they may be required to be in a car seat or booster seat anyway. I'm not sure you can, or would want to, put a car seat in that third row. I think a lot of these 3rd row seat options on new vehicles are after thoughts.
    Lol, how true! I'm only 5'5" and I couldn't sit without being hunched over.
    Well thank you, I think. I came here to get my facts straight. ;)

I looked at several websites, including Toyota's press releases, and the reason for the recall that is being reported is rather vague. Basically, it says that it is due to a scratched ball joint that can affect the steering, it doesn't specifically say how, or what the signs and symptoms are.

Anyhoo, you're more or less saying my car came from the factory with out of balance (actually, that's what it does feel like) tires, out of round wheels, and out of alignment? How nice. At less than 500 miles. I can tell the dealer is gonna love me already.

Thanks.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Out of round tires are rare, but they do happen, and there is no way Toyota could know that problem existed when they shipped the truck. As for alignment, these vehicles get strapped to a car carrier, and in the case of the 4Runner, strapped to the deck of a ship for a while too. It is fairly common for a vehicle to be delivered out of alignment, I only wish they would check alignment as part of the pre-purchase prep at the dealer.

The problem with the scratched ball joint is said to cause difficulty in steering, and is not expected to be an immediate problem, but rather one that would cause excessive wear down the line. They have only found six problem trucks as of the press release.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nippononly,

Thanks for the info about the car carriers. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but at least I'll have some good info to start from when I call. It makes sense, too, and shouldn't be a big problem for them to handle in the grand scheme of things.

As I read through many of the posts in this section I got the impression that a lot of people have this steering vibration problem and aren't getting much success in resolving the problem because the dealers can't seem to pinpoint it. Wonder if they've figured it out by now?

Again, thanks so much.
    Elem:

No, I'm not saying that your truck came from the factory with out of balance tires, and out of round wheels, and was out of alignment. What I'm saying is that any one of those might cause the problem (though most likely out of balance). If they check the balance of the tires (hopefully with a Hunter machine) they can check out of round at the same time. Alignment is a separate check, but not big deal to do. I'm not saying that I know exactly what the problem is. I don't. I'm suggesting that if I was in your situation, that is what I'd try first.

I agree with nippononly about the ball joint -- that's an issue that causes wear over time and could cause difficulty steering. Nothing in the description of the problem suggested that it would cause vibration. As your truck only has 500 miles, even if it did have the problem it likely would not have caused symptoms that soon. Furthermore, the recall covers the 2001 and 2002 4Runners -- that's the previous generation of 4Runner which is a completely different truck. If the same problem affected the 2003-2005 4Runner, then I'm sure they would have been recalled as well.

In summary, your truck doesn't have the ball joint problem. If it did, it likely would not be causing noticeable symptoms this soon. And if it did cause symptoms this soon, it wouldn't cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.

I understand your frustration with having problems with a brand-new truck. But I think this should be easy to solve.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Ellem: As others here have alluded to, you should have your vehicle's tires "road- force balanced". Click on the following link to learn about road-force balancing:
    http://www.craigautometrics.com/huntergsp9700.htm [I previously had a vibration problem with an '02 Explorer (shod with Michelin Cross Terrains) that was solved by road-force balancing. I also had a similar experience with my '03 4Runner Limited, which also has Michelin Cross Terrains. Again, road-force balancing solved the problem.]

What brand of tire is on your vehicle? Over the past several years, I've spoken with a number of knowledgable automotive technicians who've all said the same thing: When an abnormal driving vibration persists after ruling out just about every other possible cause, replacing the tires with new MICHELIN tires will all too often solve the problem. Indeed, I've repeatedly heard from highly skilled and experienced technicians that in their opinions, Michelin simply makes the best tires, period.

Hopefully there's a Toyota dealer in your area with a road-force balancer. At any rate, if the problem persists after road-force balancing and any other measures taken so far, ask your dealer to give you a new set of tires, preferably Michelins. (And, have the new tires road-force balanced from the outset.) If new tires solve the problem, you'll then have grounds to insist that either your vehicle warranty or your existing tire warranty should absorb the cost of the new tires. With only 500 miles on the existing tires, a reputable dealer should be willing to help you out with new tires if that's what it comes down to.
  • erober14erober14 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know how to remove the wood trim in a 99 4runner?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter with a national newspaper would like to speak with current SUV owners who previously owned a more fuel efficient car. Did they buy the SUV several years ago when SUV gas mileage wasn’t a big concern? With the high gas prices now, are they rethinking their SUV ownership? Are they considering trading in or selling their SUV for a more fuel efficient vehicle? If you fit what the reporter is looking for, please email Kirsten Holguin at [email protected] by May 27, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

johnny5 - thx for your most excellent and meticulous answers. I now think I have a clear picture of what it takes to get a kayak on top of an SUV. Whoa, just checked out the Hullivator. Man that looks like just the thing. I was giving the Boatloader some thought but also I've was designing some sort of Rube Goldberg thing in my mind, but this Hullivator will definitely obivate the need for that.
    Hey my x-gfriend has a Pungo - the Pungo rocks. But I do prefer my Perception Eclipse.

(my apologies to others in the forum if this discussion was a little off topic but itsn't this what we buy these vehicles for. The endless pursuit of fun and adventure.)

Anyway, sad to say, I was honing in on the Highlander and just got back from a test drive. Unfortunately I ran into a couple deal breaking issues. Mainly the seat did not fit my body well at all. It was a little too short, I'm 5'11". But the worst thing is that my left leg hit the door in such a way that my petella (knee cap) was being pushed over - most annoying. And so I have to scratch the HL off the list. But that did prompt me to finally test drive the 4Runner. I was going to scratch the 4R off the list due to recent surge in gas prices and also the extra height of the vehicle, but since I was at the dealer I figured why not take a spin. I was very please with the seat comfort, ride, and handling. Now I'm thinking - what's a few less mpg's if you are comfortable and enjoying the ride. And with the new knowledge of the Hullivator - this is starting to look like the way to go.

I think it would be cool to have a Hullivator just to be able to say - I've got a hullivator - or want to check out my hullivator?? Well, maybe not. I remember a ride at 6 Flags that was called the Hellivator. That was scary. You get strapped in the seat and pulled up about 150' or so. Then they just drop you. I almost chickened out in line the first time. But since then I've gone back for more.

So the dealer was going to take 4K off MSRP on the 4Runner. MSRP was $38,961 for a Limited (I have to admit I didn't get all the details on what options it had). So the price to me would be $34,961 and they said they could give 3.9% financing. I'll have to search the board to see what others are paying or if anyone would care to comment on that deal please let me know what you think.

Thanks again,
    Jeffer
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But I do prefer my Perception Eclipse.

A guide friend of mine just bought six of those.

Check out the Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for more recent deals too.

Steve, Host
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    We now have about 3,000 miles on our '05 SR5. This is a replacement vehicle for an '03 Ford Explorer V-8. Based upon my experiences with Toyota so far, I won't be looking at Fords again. My wife is the primary driver. MPG so far has been in the 17.5 - 18.0 range (compared with 15 in the Explorer). We recently pulled our 3,000 pound boat to the lake and back (400 miles roundtrip) and averaged 15.5 MPG (better than the Explorer's mileage empty) at 70 mph in 4th gear. It seemed to pull better than the Explorer as well (better acceleration and overall vehicle control). We have had no problems with this vehicle so far (Explorer was in the shop 7 times in 15,000 miles). We both like the 4Runner better than the Explorer.
    I posted this over in the Prices Paid... forum but thought I was posting it here. So I'm reposting it here as this group seems a little more responsive to these types of questions. I'll have to pay more attention which forum I'm on next time.

Anyway, anyone know if it is possible to get power seats for an SR5 or Sport model. After some long soul searching, and calculating the loan payments, I have come to the conclusion that I can't afford to spend $35K on a vehicle. This is what a Limited would cost. I've poured over the specs and have figured out that a Sport model has just about everything I need for about 5K less. This is still a little high but I think I could swing it. The only feature that is missing that I really really want would be power seats. I don't care if they are leather or not.
    Is there any possibility of getting power seats in an SR5 or Sport model? If so what would approx. cost be?

thanks,
    Jeffer
  • edrickedrick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 4Runner and have never seen that problem, but I used to have a chevy blazer that had that problem when I had a wind deflector on the hood. If you dont have a wind deflector the dealership should be able to help you adjust the latch mechanism. My dealership has bent over backwards to help me since I bought my truck.

Eric
  • donm6donm6 Member Posts: 1
    Last november I purchased a 2000 Toyota 4runner, it has been great!

However, I can find no information about the Security System. I'd like to know how it works.

The red light on the dash blinks at times, What does this mean? What are the features of the system and how do I use it?.

Thanks for any help.
  • manderson5manderson5 Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. Spraying electrical cleaner in the key hole followed by wd40 worked for a wile. Then just would not start."I hear a single click and nothing more".
    I am in the process if finding out what happened.