Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Power Door Locks

2»

Comments

• btiedemanbtiedeman Member Posts: 1
    I have just replaced the passenger side lock, it would lock then unlock automatically. It was a defective lock. Now the drivers side rear lock has a problem and won't lock. I have one on order to replace. You can not lock these doors manually it is all electronic.
    It is not a easy job replacing these locks and the dealer wants $250 for the part and installation.
    I have 2 other locks that will probably go next.
    I had a 2002 Honda Accord previous with no problems locking.
    There is a design flaw with these locks. Others will have the same problem, just a matter of time!
    When you hit the remote twice the car horn will sound, giving you a false sense of security.
    Guess what the "car is not locked" on the problem door , you can open it and the alarm will not sound.

Honda will fight a recall forever, can you imagine what it would cost on a recall , all 4 door locks on every O7 CRV and up.
    :mad:
    2007 Honda CRV EXL
    Sarnia Ontario
    Canda.
  • rujruj Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    My rear passenger door lock tab will initially lock when I press my master lock switch or with the button on my key. It then slowly unlocks itself.
    When I am in the car and I try to manually lock it (and the drivers front door is locked) it also unlocks itself.
    When the driver's door is unlocked, I am able to manually lock the door.
    I have followed the directions in my manual to reset the master door lock switch and that has not changed anything.
    This leaves me with all the doors being locked except for the rear passenger door.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you for your input.
  • last1last1 Member Posts: 1
    My son's car purchased from Galpin Honda suddenly has the lock problem. The driver front door DOESN'T unlock - isnt that quite dangerous? The left back door DOESN'T lock and the hatch doesnt open/unlock! We took it to the dealership and they surely diagnosed it as the lock acuator motor ; however not once did they volunteer information that this is a common problem amongst CRVs. Have any of you found a permanent resolution to this issue? Furthermore, has Honda acknolwedged this is a problem they must correct free of charge? They should!!!!
  • bbboopbbboop Member Posts: 1
    I was actually completely locked out of my own car and could not get into it to go to work yesterday due to the lock issue! I tried both keys remotely and manually with no success! AAA came out and was able to get me into my car so I could drive it to the dealership today. I am so extremely frustrated and very upset about the fact that I am going to have to pay an estimate of $300.00 to replace the door actuator (sp?) It sounds like there should be a recall on all CRVs that have these door locking issues. I wonder how it is that parts get recalled . . .How many people have to go through this same issue before someone will do something about it!
  • conniesb1conniesb1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 CRV- the remote keys worked for one day or at least I thought they did. Then all of a sudden it stopped locking the car but will unlock it. I got out he spare key and same issue. Tried numerous times. Had to go to the dealer 2 weeks later anyway and they said they would check it out. All of a sudden when I was there they started working and worked for a day and half and started same issue. I called and they are like well just bring it in or go to any dealer. I do not have time to keep running up there I work a lot and it is a pretty good distance. And the service guy is acting like I am some kind of loon. This really concerns me after reading all of this with these older models that a brand new car would or could have these issues. This car is probably going to be my last car I ever own since planning retirement.
  • crv9crv9 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 CR-V. I am also having intermittent problems getting the hatch to unlock so that I can open it. I think that it is related to lock on the front passenger door. Did anyone get this issue resolved? If so, what was the solution?
    Can anyone please tell me how much to get parts, and how to repair yourself. Why do we have Honda? I have this for dependability, but it giving me problems with power locks. It is not a bad car for its money, but i would like to get into my car when I want, not when car wants me to get in. I actually had to call locksmith to open my car twice already. I need help please.
  • mikey2525mikey2525 Member Posts: 3
    There must be some systemic problem with these electronic locking module switches. I have replace, in order, driver's door, left rear door and now the right rear door is doing the same thing (automatically unlocks) and then relocks after a stop only to unlock again. I guess Honda needs another $250 from me. 2007 CRV-EX. Of course all occurred out of warranty.
  • peychaudpeychaud Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add my voice to the choir. I've got a 2008 CRV, and the doors recently began locking themselves immediately after I shut the door (despite the fact that I deactivated the auto door lock function). What concerns me most is you can't even manually open the driver's side door with the key anymore. The latch is stuck in the locked position and turning the key feels like you're forcing something that doesn't want to move. If the keyless entry system ever malfunctions, I'll be locked out of my own car.

Has anyone spoken to dealer about this problem? For a part like this to malfunction in less than five years seems outrageous to me.
  • catsmeow2catsmeow2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 Honda CRV and I am having the exact same problem.
    My remote will unlock the doors but will not lock them. When I get in the car I cannot lock the doors manually, which doesn't give me a safe feeling at all. I talked to one guy and he said the doors will not lock while the key is in the ignition. What happens when I am at a stoplight and I feel the need to lock my doors? Anybody else having these problems?
  • jai3jai3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am having the same prob with my 03, wondering if you found any solution. I replaced the driver side actuator (and then the locks lock automatically after I would unlock them, and remain locked!). But I suspect that the actuator did need to be replaced, but maybe there is some kind of mechanical issue with latch mechanism, that is not allowing the actuator to work properly. Something seems stuck. Did you ever get a solution,

Many thanks,
    jai
  • mikey2525mikey2525 Member Posts: 3
    So far, I have replaced 3, all but the front passenger door. The service tech at Honda was aware of the issue, however, Honda, does not recognize the issue as a defective design, or defective actuator unit. So I guess we get to replace on our own at about $250 per unit...
  • imacabbieimacabbie Member Posts: 7
    It looks like this thread is still active so maybe I can get some feedback. My drivers door lock has been difficult to open with key since i bought it used about 1.5 yrs ago. I'd have to lock unlock it few times cause it would unlock but then lock again when key returned to up. Plus when it did unlock it felt like it was forced. The drivers lock also locked / unlocked all doors and the drivers door had to be locked with key when exiting vehicle (i was told this was normal).

The other day I went to exit vehicle and inside handle wouldn't open door tried locking / unlocking with inside switch they all went up and down but handle still not working. Now i have to put win down and reach outside to open door. A friend who's locksmith came and checked it out found all looked fine so he said i needed to get a new door latch. He said it wasn't the electronic part that did the auto lock of all doors cause they all still lock with the inside switch.

After reading this thread I am wondering. Does anyone know if this problem is due to actuator or do I need to replace the latch part? Problem is so far i've only found 1 latch part and it is for right front door!
  • jello2011jello2011 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda CR-V 2008 and had the same problem. This seem to be a recurring issue. I think it is time that the manufactures need to look into this matter before we Honda patrons end up getting hurt.
  • etochetoch Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda CR-V 2007 and have the same problem.
    My rear door behind the driver would unlock itself automatically.
    I was able to get it to lock manually after 5 or six tries (by manually holding the door in the lock position).
    I brought my car in to my local mechanic. He diagnosed the issue as requiring an actuator change and ordered the part for me. He "lubed" up the actuator and it's now working. Since the actuator is electronic, the order can't be cancelled therefore I'm scheduled to replace the actuator tomorrow...
    My suggestion is to try to lube the actuator and all your electronic wires and electronic parts by getting rustproofing.
  • nancyc331nancyc331 Member Posts: 1
    Same exact issue here - I have a 2007 Honda CR-V and my rear/passenger door unlocks itself automatically. For a while I was able to get it to lock manually, by holding the door in the lock position, but no longer. Now every time I go under 9 miles/hour, my car thinks the doors are not locked, and automatically re-locks the 3 working doors, as well.

Honda is denying this is a factory defect, but with all these comments, it obviously is. My car has 39,000 mile on it - no way there is extensive wear and tear on the locks.
  • curtb1curtb1 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here: I own a 2007 Honda CRV, three months ago I had one of my door locks (rear Passenger door) fixed. As soon as I walked out of the dealership literally that day the rear driver’s door lock started going out. Now my front passenger door lock is going out. That makes three door locks I have to fix a $250.00 a pop. This is ridiculous; I do not know anyone who has ever had this type of problem with their door locks. This poses a safety and security issue. I guess Honda will just wait until something bad happens and then it will take a class action lawsuit to get them to admit they have a defective door locks. In the mean time I am out $750.00 Thanks a lot Honda
  • bradengdbradengd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Honda CRV and when I lock the doors with the remote or the lever inside the car all the locks go crazy. They continuously to lock and unlock themselves. It drives me crazy and I am afraid it will kill my battery when I lock the doors and leave the car. If anyone knows a way to fix it please help.
  • madathondamadathonda Member Posts: 8
    I had a 2006 CRV. The door locks locked automatically when I hit about 10 mph. Don't have to "set" them.
    I have a 2007 CRV. The stupid left side rear door lock kept unlocking when I was driving and all the locks would lock and unlock repeatedly! I found that by jamming a piece of cardboard under the lock, it holds it tightly and it stopped doing that and I can lock the doors with the remote control key fob and it turns on the security system as well. What a piece of work this thing is turning out to be. And the heat doesn't work suddenly either. I thought Honda was one of the best cars and that is why I purchased it. The tires wore out at 25,000 miles! And it never has gotten the 29/30 mpg that it claimed I was supposed to get on the highway either!

THINK WE SHOULD ALL FILE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST HONDA.
  • heatherhrtlyheatherhrtly Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car for 6 years, when you use the key fob button to unlock all the doors you have 30 seconds to open a door or the doors automatically re-lock. It has always been any door opening that cancels the auto re lock, but now it seems to not register if I only open the rear door (not the hatch). As I have done for the past 4 years, I open the back door, toss my purse with keys onto the front seat and buckle my daughter into her carseat on the rear passenger side, close the door and walk around to the driver side. A few days ago, I noticed that while I was buckling her in with the door still open, all the doors locked. Well yesterday I did my regular routine when leaving a store and as I walked around to the driver side I heard the click of all the doors locking. MY 4 YEAR OLD WAS LOCKED INSIDE!!! As was my phone. She was already strapped into her 5 point harness that she can't undo herself.I had to leave her and run into the store for them to call AAA for me. This seems like a major malfunction to me.
    Yah, well keep your keys and hit the remote again to open the front door! Or leave it partially open before you use the back seat.
  • cnlewiscnlewis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 CRV and had the same problem, called Honda and there is no recall. I spoke with Honda to see how they do recalls and she said if there is a trend on safecar.gov that is where it all begins - so hopefully everyone having this issue will go there to put their complaint. I purchased my car for safety and to have the door unlock - not safe at all. Honda parts in my local area said they have them in stock so it happens all of the time. SAFECAR.GOV - hope everyone visits there. My car is at the dealership at this moment for this issue. I will start my process once I get my car back. Purchasing the part and putting it in ourselves.
    I think we should all file a class action suit against Honda for not divulging these problems to the public. They gladly took my money - I did research BEFORE I bought the car and none of these issues were ever mentioned, i.e., heater going out, tires wearing out at 20,000 miles, door locks popping open and setting off a chain reaction of locks clicking on and off as I'm driving! Then I could not lock the car or set the security system because the lock would not lock! So I stuck a thin piece of cardboard under the lock to keep it from popping open. So it works now but what a pain in the b... this all is. I chose Honda because it is supposed to be one of the best cars according to Consumer Reports.
  • hutsonelpasohutsonelpaso Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem with the power door locks locking and unlocking all the time. My car is a 2008 CR-V, two-wheel drive without all the bells and whistles, but the door lock mechanism seems to be the same year after year and across the various models. And now the locks are making the loudest horrendous grinding noise as they lock or unlock. I can't get it to stop, and following the manual's suggestions to reset them doesn't seem to work. My passenger side door won't lock at all. Are there any electronics whizzes that might know how to fix this if Honda won't even recognize the problem?
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2007(same model). I noticed that my settings for the auto lock system had changed a couple of times for no reason. Soon after that I noticed the battery of the car seem less enthusiastic about starting. It failed online day. I changed the battery and I haven't noticed any problems . Other than a power steering pump(75000 ) that I just purchased online, I haven't had any problems at all. :)
  • kevindavittkevindavitt Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here on rear passenger door. I unlock all the doors and that particular door then re-locks itself.
  • pgarciapgarcia Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem on my 2008 Honda CRV LX. Japan vin. Front Right door locks itself. I am thinking bad actuator. Online price for part 72110SWA-D01 for you DIY people. Or else got a quote from dealer $210 installed in about 1.5 hours.

Have factory/dealer alarm that keeps going off now every time the door is opened. Key fob does not want to turn off alarm. part is on order...needs to get here soon.
  • cnlewiscnlewis Member Posts: 2
    I just filed a complaint on safedriver.com - hopefully others will also put a complaint in - more complaints, the more close we get to recall. My passenger side is now doing the same - we fixed our driver side - we fixed both doors, now the back passenger side is starting up.
  • leaftrinketsleaftrinkets Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and have had power door locking problems.
    Symptoms were-car locking but not unlocking either with remote or key.
    Took to the dealership in late 2009. Some wiring was replaced, did not solve problem. Took back to the dealership a couple weeks later and entire actuator was replaced. Solved problem until...fast forward to Feb. 2013. The second actuator has failed, and car locks once again do not open when locked with either remote or key. I took to Honda dealership today, and they said that there is a new and improved "Manufacturer fixed" actuator. This is apparently new within the last 6 months or so. So, wanted to mention, if you purchase an actuator make sure you are getting the "Fixed/Updated" version. I guess I am fortunate because the replacements thus far are still covered under an extended warranty. However, for those who are getting stuck with these costs, I also noticed that there is a law firm in Pennsylvania that just filed a proposed class action law suit on this issue against Honda in Jan. 2013. Good Luck!
  • medriggsmedriggs Member Posts: 1
    Having same problem. I can only unlock using the key fob or lock switch. I cannot manually unlock any doors. When unlock I have five seconds to open any door. I removed the fuse for the power locks to remove any power, thinking it may be a short. Removing the fuse did nothing as the locks will still automatically lock themselves. I'm worried I will eventually be locked in my car or drop my keys as I am getting out thus getting locked out. I tried to reprogram the automatic lock feature that comes on when you go a certain mph...didn't work because of this problem. I will check on the actuator! Thanks for the help! I hope a new actuator works. I just hate taking a car to the shop and spending money with nothing being fixed.
  • tappermomtappermom Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2008 CR-V top of the line with leather and nav. system. And my car is in pristine condition. About 3 months ago, all my door locks started automatically locking and unlocking themselves at around 9 or 10 miles per hour. Since I spend hours each week in Los Angeles stop and go traffic, it's super annoying. Took it to the independent shop I've been going to for years, and they couldn't find anything wrong. After reading all these posts, I'll tell them to check the actuators, and I'm going to try having them lubed up like one guy suggested, before I replace things. But I'm going to go to safecar.gov and file a complaint there too. I'm afraid to let my grandkids ride in the back seat now. What if one of them decided to hang on to the door handle and it opened accidently while we were moving? This is my third Honda, and I've never had any problems outside of routine maintenance.
  • sdmacksdmack Member Posts: 1
    Same car, sam door, same problem - exactly! The door would gradually unlock after locking. I had to place a mechanical clamp around the remote cable to keep it from unlocking. This has to be a safety hazard since it becomes unlocked while in transit, not to mention, no way to secure the vehicle while it is in a parking lot.
  • robinj823robinj823 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 that is doing the same thing. It just started a couple of days ago. Have you been able to find anything out? I found this on Safercar.gov:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action
  • kez7kez7 Member Posts: 2
    I called Honda, gave them my Vin# and filed a complaint about this... PLEASE EVERYONE call them and issue a complaint! 1-800-999-1009 Honda Motors
  • kez7kez7 Member Posts: 2
    ALSO call dept of trans safety hotline 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint... squeaky wheel gets the oil!
  • pinebluffchickpinebluffchick Member Posts: 1
    I called Honda Motors today to register a complaint about the door lock situation. Probably won't get anywhere, but if enough of us register a complaint, maybe something will be done...before I have to replace the actuator on the other three doors. GRRRRRRRRR!
  • kgc6kgc6 Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem as you, except in my Honda CR-V 2007, it's the driver's door that lock's itself, a second or two after unlocking the door with my remote. I have to keep "unlocking" until I can get the door open -sometimes it locks while I'm in the process of opening the door and the door locks just partially open. Have to hit the remote button again until it let's the door go.

Found the Law Firm someone mentioned in an earlier part of the forum that filed a class action lawsuit against Honda over this very issue: (Honda CR-V's 2007-2011 actuators malfunction)

Honda CRV – Door Lock Actuator Failure – Class Action Lawsuit, filed on 18 JAN 2013
    Chimicles & Tikellis Law Firm
    http://www.chimicles.com/honda-and-acura-door-lock-actuator-failure

I suggest those having similar problems read up and let them know the problems they are having.

Also, found an article on a local Providence, Rhode Island tv/news station reporting on the issue: 15 MAY 2013

Honda CR-V door locks pose danger
    http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/12_for_action/honda-CRV-door-locks-pose-danger

Finally, as others suggested...
    We should all call Honda and let them know about the problems you are having.
    If you think you must, file a complaint at: http://www.safercar.gov/

Hope Honda comes through or the Class Action comes thru on this matter PRONTO!!!

I have owned a Honda - and absolutely loved and trusted them - since about 1988. But, quality control had apparently slipped badly- apparently, since the middle of the decade it seems. My 1998 Honda CR-V was a dream! It ran for close to a decade quite well till I sold it at 215, 000 miles - with very little done to it except the required maintenance. But on this 2007 CR-V alone I've already dealt with the Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems at about the same time last year. Thankfully a class action lawsuit was won over the issue and Honda came through well and I got most of my money back. But now this! The problems I've had with this Honda are really starting to make me think about switching "makes", to my regret!

Hope the problem get's resolved to everyone's satisfaction!
  • 5mcare5mcare Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Honda CRV (that I just paid off) is at the dealer right now. The passenger door won't lock and the back hatch won't open. They are saying if they fix the door it will fix the back hatch. I've been trying to find a site that will show me how to replace the actuator. Any suggestions?
  • gzp2013gzp2013 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar experience with my 2003 CR-V. 4 lock actuators have been replaced! I believe that this problem is wide spread across years for this model and that Honda is well aware of it. By the way the local dealer (HERB Chambers Honda, Boston) stated to me that they are totally unaware of such as issue...Good luck.
  • joe161joe161 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem as described. In looking at the actuator I see a rod with an adjustment slot. Can an adjustment be made to solve the problem or is the problem a weakened electrical circuit?

Regards,

Joe Dill
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    It's on youtube. It's done on a 2008 but thats the same as your 07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Dkr2yo-60
  • desert57desert57 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. It has been repaired by the dealer on two different occasions. The first repair cost approximately $240 each. I must have screamed loud enough on the second failure. It was declared a warranty repair which was on July 12, 2012. The doors are acting up again so I anticipate I will be taking the car into the dealer sometime in the future. Yes, I am looking at replacing the Honda. It was my first Honda and, I believe, it will be my last. I always drove Toyota's in the past.
  • ranzonaranzona Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 CRV and had this same issue with the front passenger door approximately 2 years ago. Under warranty at the time so it didn't cost me anything except my time. Now the same thing is happening with the two rear passenger doors. Locks have a mind of their own. Auto door locks are nice until they no longer work. What a pain!
  • vthakorevthakore Member Posts: 20

I have a 2002 Honda CRV EX.

My problem: Power mirrors don't work on either side (power feature), the rear glass doesn't pop when you post the button on the d/s door and the door locks don't work via switch..lock or unlock. What module is everyone referring to and where is it located? Does anyone have a honda part number or a actual exact name?

Much help is appreciated, I see a lot of 2002-2004 Honda CRV's and this information would be genuine.

Thanks.
    Val

• fin905fin905 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 Honda CRV EXL. Has never been wrecked & is garaged & well-maintained.

This week I have been locked out of my Honda three times, twice while engine was running & once while getting gas. One time was with a young child in his child-seat & almost needed to break out a window. I was fortunately able to call family for a key. When I close a door, all doors immediately lock, whether the car is running or not.

The scary part is that I have also been locked in the CRV. The electric door lock will unlock but one has less than a second to open the door. The manual door lock will not disengage & unlock.

Honda hotline told me to get a diagnosis from the dealership & to report back. The Honda dealership wanted $200+ to diagnose even though they agreed it was a potential safety issue. I told Honda hotline that I would refer this safety issue to NTSB & to the current class action suit. Perhaps a few deaths and $1 billion fine will convince Honda to do what is right.

I bought this vehicle believing it would be trouble free & that Honda backs their product. I was wrong on both counts.

As a footnote, interesting the one Honda Service Rep. told me he had never heard of this problem before while a Honda Mechanic at the same dealership stated this has been a common problem with CRVs.

• edelyssaedelyssa Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 CRV, last Feb I took my crv honda dealer to change the driver side door actuator replaced due to the recall, it wasnt broken but since I got the recall note I went ahead and had it replaced by the dealer. A month after, my front passenger side door wont open with key fob or from inside. I had to do a quick press on key fob and the person seating there must open the door quickly to get out to open the door or open from outside. I asked the dealer what they did on the programing on doors, and they claimed that they did not touch the pass door. I think honda had deffects on the door locks and should just replaced it for free. The class action law suite is only for the driver side door, but I think its all the doors. what can you suggest? I dont want to pay the dealer $250 just repair something thats malfunction.
  • quint140quint140 Member Posts: 1
    Ok hondas are still good cars for one, been a master for toyota for a long time, but honda are also good cars hard to go wrong on either one, every car has problems or worse, anyways, door locks are a problem, o2 crv i was diagnosing had a couple problems with the locks, i found a broken wire for the door locks on the driver side, the harness that goes from the door to the car one wire was broken due to the door open & closing caused one wire to brake, i checked all the door locks and they all work i used a tool to check them all only a technician would know what im talking about and how to use it, then the other was the multiplex unit was not working it was not passing ground, i checked all the switches for power and ground and if they functioned, so b4 guessing to replace parts take it to a professional that is good on eletrical, the broken wire we repaired & replace new multiplex unit (its the fuse junction block that is under the dash) that went bad internaly
  • rsadventurerrsadventurer Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 CRV that has a different issue then what is listed here. My inside drivers door lock switch, power mirror switch, and rear hatch button all have stopped working at once on this door. The locks and rear hatch buttons all work fine on the key fob, so I don't think it is actuator problem for the lock. Any ideas?
  • Awolf65Awolf65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 CRV. To keep the locks from locking automatically I first unlock the door with the fob then open the door and immediately press unlock with the door switch again. After closing the door it stays unlocked. I found this by accident but it works for my CVR.