Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• out4catout4cat Member Posts: 91
    Here here to that, U.S. built Maximas (2004-2008) are terrible in materials, craftsmanship, fit and finish, and overall reliability. If anyone has one or sees one, look at the panel gaps around the trunk, the left front fender gap with the front left door is large enough to see the bolts holding the door in place and in addition the top of the left fender sticks out from the top of the left door, totally crappy stuff. On the inside, the 2004 had uneven panels leading from the doors to the dashboard and the glove box would hang from the right side. The 2007 (redesigned) has a gap at the top of the right door that is farther away from the dash board than the same panel on the left side. The sad part is that after 4 years in production, Nissan has not improved/addressed any of the crap they put out. I am not even addressing the shimmy in the rider for the 04/05 models, and the fading roof rails (definitely not like the BMW 7 series rails).
    Bottom line, Carlos Goshn ran Renault, that is a company that does not do business in the U.S. for a reason. But also, customers (myself included) keep going to Nissan dealers and buying this crap, the 09 quirks will soon be coming out too.
  • kclark7425kclark7425 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to watch a dvd without the e brake on? I know it's a safety but can it be over ridden like in the cadilac?
    I would imagine that the over ride would have to be done by a professional. The Nissan dealer may be able to answer your question and do it, or an automotive electronic shop, there is lots of those. Be careful with warranty coverage when it comes to over riding OEM.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    1995 4th gen Maxima last to be built in Japan?

My 2002 5th gen Maxima was built in Japan.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone-

I'm doing a little homework here for my in-laws for they are considering trading their 2004 Maxima for either a 2009 Maxima 3.5 SV (possibly with tech) or a 2009 Mazda6 s GT (possibly with Nav).

They are similar in size, although the Max is bigger which is not a good thing in their eyes since they thought the 04 was a bit too big. They are very similarly equipped too. The Mazda has Bluetooth, Xenons, leather, dual climate, fuel computer, every safety feature under the Sun and Blind Sport Monitor detection system, something the Max does not have. TO get Xenons on the Max, you need to get Nav. Not the case with Mazda, since they are standard.

Power goes to Max with 290hp / 261 tq vs Mazda's 272 hp / 269 tq. Fuel economy is similar, however, the Max recommends Premium, is that correct?

The price advantage will go the the Mazda as well, for I can get them the Mazda6 s GT w/ Nav, moon roof / Bose Audio / Sirius radio for under $30,000. What are the Maxima's selling for? Particularly the SV with Tech, Bluetooth and Xenons?

BTW, I work for Mazda, so there is no need to educate me on the 6. I don't wanna hear any Ford talk either. Ford does not build or engineer the Mazda6. I'm really looking for useful input on the Maxima. Thanks in advance!
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Not to add to your confusion I would throw Infiniti G35 in the mix

In my mind it is a superior car to either Max or Mazda6..
    And with all the incentives/model year clearance a reasonably loaded can be had for 30K.

If you have to have a FWD car then consider Acura TL...an loaded 2008 (Not 2009) can be had for under 30K as well.

If I were to choose between Mazda6 and Max. I would go for Max as the interior feels much more luxurious. CVT takes some getting use to...Max does ask for premium fuel..
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Personally, I don't put the 6 in the same class as the Maxima. In my eyes, the 6 would best be compared to the Altima, Camry, and Accord. The Maxima is better compared to the Acura TL and maybe the VW Passat. The 6 seems like a good value when compared to the Altima, Accord, and Camry. A Maxima SV with the options you mentioned stickers much higher than 30k and, though discounts seem to be available, will still be several grand more than the Mazda 6 you have described.

I have had a Millenia, Tribute, and a B4000. The Millenia and the truck were great vehicles; the Tribute was so-so at best. Overall I think Mazdas are good cars. You seem to lean toward the 6 -- what do the inlaws think? I would give them enough info for them to make their own decision. I'm not sure I would want to be the scapegoat in a situation like this.... ;)
    I'm more familiar with the Mazda6 then the 09 Maxima, so I can speak of confidence in what it offers. I am not very familiar with the 09 Maxima. I am very familiar with the 04-08 Maxima, in which the 09 Mazda6 IMO is better.

My opinion does not matter, something that I have already expressed to them. I will not give them my opinion once I form one after we look at the Maxima either. I don't want them to buy the Mazda6 just because I work for Mazda. Would I like it? Sure! But, it's their car, not mine. I know the Max is a fine vehicle and always has been.

In reality, the 09 Mazda6 does compare very well to the 09 Maxima. In actuality, the Mazda6 is bigger in almost every area. Refinement, quality and featured content on paper look very similar. Again, I have not sat in nor driven an 09 Maxima, but, the quality is the 6 is better then their 04 Maxima.

My father-in-law used to own a CX-7, but traded it for an 09 Forester due to better FE. He has an extensive commute, and the CX-7 does not get great FE. My mother-in-law is the primary driver of the Maxima, and does not drive very much. It only has about 40K on it in in 4 years of ownership. He absolutely loved everything the CX-7 had in terns of drive, content, and performance. I think he liked it better then the 04 Max.

I have no doubt the Mazda6 will be a great car for a long time. The engine / tranny are from the CX-9 and built in Japan. There has been virtually no power train issues with the CX-9.

I have also brought up the Infiniti G as well. This is not my decision, and I really do not want to cloud their mind with suggesting several vehicles. The way they are is they pick a couple cars they like, or are familiar with and go from there.
  • tracguytracguy Member Posts: 28
    I was also looking at the Mazda6 but I did end up buying a 09 Maxima (SV premium / tech)a couple of weeks ago. I liked the Mazda but I thought the Max was a little plusher, liked the music box hard drive and the nav system. The Ipod integration is first rate also. I also like the Max's styling a little more than the Mazda. Premium is required, not suggested. I'm appears I'm getting about 23mpg (city, freeway short trips) but only have 500 miles on it so take these numbers with a grain of salt. Actualy I think the 09 Max is actually a little smaller than the 08.

If I hadn't gotten a good deal I would have gone down the street and bought a Mazda6. I like the blindspot monitor and the the fit and finish are good.
    Premium is required not recommended? I was unaware of that.

It's good to hear the opinion of one who has driven both. Thanks.
    Look very closely at the new Maxima, just saw one on the sales floor at my usual dealership and some of the panels on the interior can be moved with low pressure applied by hand. Also the sport package seats had uneven cushioning on the passenger seat which gave the leather a wrinkle look on the right side of the center bolster. The styling is quirky to say the least, in front of the A pillar there are so many styling cues that it actually crowds the overall design. From the A pillar to the C pillar it is plain Jane look of the Camry/Lexus ES and then the rear window down to the trunk lid is all Altima. The side fender flares are right out of the Titan/QX 56 trucks so to make a long story short, the design is just over crowded to get attention, definitely not a timeless look. I can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment the CVT transmission is. The interior is OK, nothing strikingly unique there except for a copy-cat dash from the Infinity.
    Although sleek and unique, the design of the Mazda 6 is more timeless, less crowded, and definitely not quirky. No CVT is a big plus and even the one I saw in light blue the other day caught my eye, definitely a futuristic sleek look similar to the MB CLS and new Passat CC.
    Remember the Maxima is a 35K car mostly because it is Japanese yet the thing is built in the U.S. The Mazda is way lower in price. The HP difference as you pointed out is not that big a deal and with the CVT on the Max, getting the HP to perform can be quite a task.
    I would suggest a look at the Pontiac G8 V6 but who knows what will happen to GM in the near future.
    Bottom line, picking a car is certainly based on different subjective preferences and it is a decision to be made by no 1 but the actual buyer/leasee.
    Good luck either way.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    I have to disagree with you on"too crowded to get attention." This car is a head turner. I drive a lot as a salesman along with other people and I have never heard a negative comment about the looks of this car. Most people go Wow, a nice car.
    Another point I'll give ya, it does look like an Altima from the rear. I also love to drive behind this car at nights. It just looks impressive.
    Perhaps I mis-spoke, I meant the design is too crowded with styling cues. I agree that it draws attention, but the awe may be short lived just like anything that is too flashy. A straight forward and timeless design does not need to have so many curves, creases, bulges and bumps, it just needs to be a good design.
    Yeah those tail lights are pretty cool, I agree, as are the 19" inch wheels with the sport package. I am floored by those who pay $2,300 for the sport package and then swap out the wheels, especially for chrome ones. Considering that there is no performance improvement from checking off the sport package, and that the wheels kind of make the distinction form the other models, changing the wheels defeats the purpose of paying the additional $2,300.00. But to each his own, I repeat that buying a car is based mostly on subjective reasons, just read the range of comments on this blog and it becomes obvious
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just looked at an 09 murano with the premium package at the dealer. Didn't sit in one because I'm not in the market but like to speculate. Drove over to the bmw dealer and looked the 5 series over. For 20k difference the maxima looks like a sweet deal. I know, different cars , different ambience etc but feature for feature what a deal.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    If "feature" is the only consideration then nothing beats Genesis
    Drives decent too
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Haven't checked out the Genesis. The Hyundai dealers around here make the nissan dealers look like saints. They are the worst in every way.
    The maxima sv is like a boutique with stones on wheels. The moon roof is a trip.
  • fdcarguyfdcarguy Member Posts: 4
    My kids love the rear seat audio controls...they play DJ on the way to school.
  • carnut35carnut35 Member Posts: 9
    In regard to the question on comparing the mazda6 to the max I'd like to provide some opinions. Up front, I think they are comparable and what is the best choice for one person will not be the best choice for another. You could read every magazine but until you spend time in test driving and kicking the tires you won't know what's right for you. I havent' driven the maxima yet, but here are my impressions:

Looks: Max wins to my eyes. It's pretty awesome, although the Mazda6 is also a classy looking, stylish car.

Engine: M6 wins: Mazda6 has some edge in my view as their new 3.7 is pointed out in various articles as having the fantastic torque: one of the major car magazines cited it as much better than the Accord and Altima for off the line grunt, and it got better fuel mileage than both in the testing even though EPA rated similar. Too me that's important for stoplight pull and you don't have to race the engine to get going.

More on engine: In M6 you can get a peppy 4 cylinder that does about 8 seconds 0-60 which is quite good, and gets better mileage for about 3K less than v6 model.

Options: Tie Personal preference rules: Mazda6 has cool new feature w/sensors that set off chimes when another car enterst you. It comes with more bundled in when you buy the touring edition. Max has fancier sunroof. I believe both cars have a backup camera available--that sounds like a great feature.

Transmission: M6 wins: It has an Asin 6 speed, which would be my preference to the CVT: it's the new type that has no torque converter (slush box), similar to the upcoming G37 sedan 7 speed.

Handling: Tie: I think this would be personal preference. Reports are that both are good and better than accord or camry.

Resale: Tie

Value: Based on what is important to you.

Total: It's a tossup. And when you consider the G37 also it's get even more complicated! Good luck.
  • mackfammackfam Member Posts: 5
    Is it true that the back seats fold down on the Sv but not the SV with the premium pkg? Thanks
    Correct. The sport package or the luxury package only offer a pass thru the width of the armrest. The solid seatback makes for a more ridgid body.
    Yes it is all part of Nissan's reverse logic. The more options you pay for, the more restricted your vehicle becomes.
    - Check the Premium/Sport option and:
    No pass through to trunk
    Less color options for interior
    The nice looking black-tone interior trim is gone and you get some ugly silver trim or wood-like trim that looks like it is adhesive wallpaper placed over the plastic pieces.
    Not to mention the fact that you get no added horsepower or torque with the higher
    price packages so in essence even the plain (cloth seat) S version with less options
    therefore less weight can probably beat the SV-S or SV-P to 60 with identical power.
    1 thing that just threw be back for a loop is that with the S or P package you only get one outside mirror with dim feature, the previous model at least had both outside mirrors with this feature. By the way it is a great feature to keep the glaring lights of cars in adjacent lanes from blinding the driver.
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Member Posts: 39
    I've now got 15,000 miles on my '09 Maxima since the end of June when I bought it.

It's been 15,000 very enjoyable miles! Over the previous months, I've taken a number of 1,000 mile road trips, and I've done quite a bit of city driving, and I've never regretted my decision for a moment. This car is proving to be exactly what I had expected.

I've said it previously in this thread and I'll say it again - this car is a hoot to drive. The performance is definitely there. There is nothing wrong with the CVT transmission. I suspect I'll never buy a car without a CVT transmission, from here on out, and I fully believe that the CVT transmission is the future for automatic transmissions. But if you want more transmission control, you've got many options with this car.

As for the styling queue - yes, the interior looks very much like it came from an Infiniti. Nothing wrong with that, and it only makes manufacturing sense for Nissan to do this. Nobody I've interacted with has ever considered this a negative.

As for the external styling queues, if one were to look around, one would notice that the aggressive flairs are showing up everywhere. Much like when BMW re-worked their cars a few years ago, some people moaned about it. In short order, everybody else caught on and now cars everywhere take their sheet-metal queues from BMW's latest designs. So too, the '09 Maxima's flairs are starting to show up, and I think the look is very classy. In fact, cars have long had flairs - it's a very traditional look - and Nissan is bringing it back in spades.

Check out the new Audi A5, for example: http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A5.html.

If those side flairs don't look straight off the '09 Maxima, I don't know what does...and Audi has traditionally been as 'classic' as it comes.
    Cyber:
    Writing about reasons to justify and live with your decision to purchase of the 09 Maxima is one thing, but stretching it to somehow relate its design to the new A5 is way out in left field. I suggest you visit an Audi dealer and look closely at this non-quirky, timeless design; there are NO flares. Even in the pictures that you sent out, what you see is the linear line of the front fender curving upwards to soften the wheel arch design (this is in NO-way a flare, check it from this angle http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/audi-a5-1-big.jpg). Audi is the one German car company that has abstained from quirky design elements (like the new S class, and outgoing 7 series) and instead continues to bring out timeless, simple straight forward lines in its vehicles without the carvings, flaring, waves, and bulges of other companies. If you look at the 09 BMW 7 series, they too are getting back to basics, wonder what Benz will do with their S class now? back to the drawing board. Funny how much cleaner the C-Class design is.
    In continuing the message above, here is a list of some cars that do have flares. There was no need to leave the Nissan family for some of them.
    NIssan Titan
    Nissan Armada
    Infinity QX-56
    Nissan Altima (much more tastefully done because the rear fender flare is the leading design element that is not lost in a sea of other elements like on the Maxima)
    Toyota Highlander
    Outgoing Subaru Forester
    GMC Trail Blazer (I think it is an older model).
    1985 BMW M-3

And the hood wave design is right off of the 1997 Ford taurus, yes a FORD had that wave bump design on its hood back then.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I've said it previously in this thread and I'll say it again - this car is a hoot to drive. The performance is definitely there. There is nothing wrong with the CVT transmission. I suspect I'll never buy a car without a CVT transmission, from here on out, and I fully believe that the CVT transmission is the future for automatic transmissions. But if you want more transmission control, you've got many options with this car.

I guess when it comes to "hoots" to each their own owl. And as far as "many options (for transmission control)", are you referring to the various frequencies with which I can hum fake shifts?

I could try to find common ground and say there is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with a CVT transmission - as long as it was installed in a Prius or some other vehicle designed to get you from point a to point b as efficiently and unexcitedly as possible. But a few additional drives behind the wheel of a 2009 "4-DSC" labeled Maxima continues to leave me with the feeling that a CVT is just a horrific decision and embarassment for Nissan. It's sportier than a Buick, but not by much.

I may be susceptible to being called old fashioned for not considering the latest and greatest dual clutch PDC transmission from Porsche or Ferrari's F1 SMG acceptable alternatives to a 6-speed manual in a sports car. And someday I might change my tune on those. But, please, don't suggest that Nissan's rubber band CVT is the "future" of transmissions for so-called sports sedans. If that's the case, screw it. Just cut off my do-dads and give me an electric hybrid so I don't have any false pretenses.

This is just my opinion. If you are having a hoot driving a CVT equiped Maxima, good for you. It certainly sounds like you do way too much driving not to be happy with whatever you have and I sincerely wish you many more miles of happiness.

P.S. On second thought, leave my do-dads intact. My wife doesn't have any and she wouldn't opt for an automatic CVT either. So it must not be a do-dad thing.
    I was trying to be kind to Cyberpunk and not even address his preference for the CVT, but you took that on in a great way. I am still not in love with the rest of the car either.

By the way though, I know that you are a fan of the Acura TL, and in some way so was I until I saw the 2009 front grill. I am disappointed because the rest of the car is really great but the front grill has to go. Smartly so, our local Acura dealer has started to charge customers 200.00 for painting the grill body color, it helps a great deal although they don't paint the entire grill, just the shield part of it. I would suggest the entire grill be painted for a better look on the car. My second gripe is that the interior trim is only available in a metallic finish, I have not seen an option for wood trim for 09. The cold metal trim is just not my preference.

CVT and HOOT in the same sentence, just not right.....
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Member Posts: 39
    It certainly sounds like you do way too much driving not to be happy with whatever you have and I sincerely wish you many more miles of happiness.

You found our common ground! I couldn't agree more. Way too many friggin' miles.
    I think you guys who have driven the CVT and then put it down very badly are doing it an injustice. Reading the earlier posts, it takes a while to get used to; certainly more than a test drive--everyone knows that and some people accept it and come to love it. And look at the numbers: I think I saw 6.2 seconds 0 to 60; that's class leading fast, and probably a good bit faster than whatever you're driving now. And on top of it, they supposedly last a long, long time. I don't own it as I'm not buying this year, but if I was buying I'd go for it and stop worrying that it didn't feel quite like my current car. OK, I'm sure I'll get flamed now but I think that needed to be said. I think the guys who have been driving it for a few weeks are more qualified to determine whether it's a good one. Flame on now...
    Must be nice to have a new Maxima for the holidays. Having shopped the Maxima, '09 TL, and Mazda6 before deciding not to buy, I think the looks of the Maxima are better than the other 2--it's pretty awesome... The old Maxima's were so ugly even a mother couldn't love them, but this one is a huge improvement...
    Carnut, there is no flaming necessary, this blog is about sharing experiences and opinions. You opinion deserves the same amount of respect that all ours do. That being said, I am the proud owner of an 07 Maxima SE, the one you call ugly, I beg to differ with you and find my car quite attractive, distinctive, and sporty. I can also tell you that I have driven this car with the CVT (6 speed) for over 10k miles and cannot get used to the darn thing, it guzzles more gas than my previous 04 Maxima (5 speed auto no CVT) with the same engine that had 10 more HP and 1 gear less. It completely numbs the rush of a gearshift when fully accelerating and I lost a race to the 06 model because the darn thing took to long thinking about when to shift and even when to wake up off the line. Oh by the way I did not think the 04 was ugly either, to each his own.
    Although I would not call the new 09 Maxima ugly, I do find its design to be overcrowded with design cues and elements. It is like if the design team simply took a bit from a bunch of cars and threw it together and came up with the 09 Maxima. There is so much going on forward of the A pillar that the design makes me dizzy, the Altima trunk is the complete opposite of the front end, just a plain trunk. I wish all who have one many happy miles driving it, but it is by no means a home-run in design. The prior model, the one all of you hate, at least was designed with the Lexus GS in mind, this one is more Camry/Lexus ES-like. Oh and by the way, since you saw the new TL, it is not too far off on the design of the previous Maxima, right down to the roof metallic rails and rear buttress-type window and C-pillar design.
    Happy motoring to all and a Merry Christmas!!! Enjoy whatever vehicle you drive and do so safely!!
    I wrote my earlier msg quickly and right after I let it fly I realized my misstatement. I consider the newer Maximas, including the 2004 - 2008 version, very attractive. The 2 prior versions I did not care for at all, and many in the automotive press did not care for their looks either. So out4cat, I like your car, although I like the new one better (for looks).

As for the CVT, it has been refined for the '09 compared to the prior version, and a number of the owners earlier on in the posts got used to it and liked it a lot. So I'm really speaking to what people have said on the new version of that transmission. Same goes for acceleration--I'm speaking to the new one. C&D is painstakingly precise in their acceleration tests, and they clock the '09 at 5.8 seconds to 60 mph, which blows away most others in the class. They also make positive comments about the CVT in this model.

Sorry for not being clearer in my previous post. I'm sorry about your slower car, but the '09 is clearly very fast as rated by professional testers. Perhaps you could unload yours and buy something you like; I'd hate to be driving something I didn't like, especially as a car enthusiast... Good luck.
    Interesting point, I should just test drive the 09 and see what the new CVT feels like, I will do that. I am trying to love the new 09 design but have not seen one yet that really catches my eye. I was skeptical even about the 04 when I got it but one day I went to the local dealer and saw one in a new color "Coral Sand" and instantly fell in love with the car. It even had the Elite Package with 4 heated bucket seats and a rear console with ice bucket and cup holders, I was sold signed on the dotted line and loved every minute of every drive. I later realized that perhaps buying the 1st year production was not wise because of squeaks/rattles and a shimmy in the steering that appeared intermittently, but as far as the look of the car, I loved it. My new 07 does not have the Elite, could not find one with it but it is still a nice looking car and I do love it, especially when it is just detailed.
    As I begin to see more 09s on the road I imagine that I will begin to like it more but the trouble again is, I have not seen one in a color that makes me fall in love with it. Most dealers only carry variations of grey and the few blue/maroon/green ones all have black seats which I HATE. So far I am drawn towards the Tuscan Sun exterior color with Cafe Latte leather seats, have not seen one on the road yet. I can also tell you from experience that it is a difficult color to keep clean especially here in the north with no garage and cold winters. I am puzzled by the variety in color availability in cheaper Nissans but the flagship is restricted to a sea of grey tones and only 3 colors that are not.
    More to come when I test drive the 09 as per your suggestion, wow 290 HP, I may never give the darn thing back to the dealer.
  • redbullredbull Member Posts: 26
    2009 3.5 SV Premium + Technology, Dark Slate / Charcoal

$39,302 MSRP

$35,473 Final Price

I've had my new Maxima for a little more than two weeks now (and 600 miles), and I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with it. I considered a number of different cars:

2008 Lexus GS 350: I almost bought this car, I negotiated $2,500 below dealer invoice, and the interest rate on the lease was only about 0.5%. When I went to pick it up, I drove it first and realized that the seat comfort just didn't compare to most of the other cars I had tried, there just isn't enough padding in the driver's seat back. Even my wife's 2008 Highlander Limited has a better seat. And you have to pay another $500 to get iPod connectivity? Come on Lexus, let's move into 2006 already.

(if you're wondering why I get such good pricing, I'm a licensed Auto Broker in California and I know all the fleet guys professionally).

2009 BMW 535i Sport + Premium: I was on the verge of buying this one as well, at $500 over invoice and the mfr buy rate for the lease. This car has the best seat in the business, the 20-way adjustable one included in the sport pkg. I loved everything about this car except the price. At about $63K I finally realized that I could get something satisfactory for a lot less money - the BMW is very nice, I think it's way overpriced though. At $50K I would have gone for it.

2009 Jaguar XF - This was nice, and gorgeous - plus I was going to get about $10K off the sticker price. I just didn't want another V8 - too bad they don't make it with a V6 in the U.S.

2009 Acura TL - I like the new TL from almost every perspective, except for the front end - I just couldn't see myself looking at that ugly-[non-permissible content removed] shield grill every day for the next three years.

BMW 335i, Infiniti G37 - Both excellent drives (the 335i coupe was a hoot in particular), but a little smaller than what I really want. I think the G37 coupe is absolutely beautiful though.

Over a period of six months, I looked at and considered a lot of cars. Every time I would try out something new, I found myself coming back to the Maxima and finally realized that the car fit me like a glove, more than any other car (except the 535i). I love the comfortable seat, the style of the interior, the sporty exterior and all the cutting edge technology features. This is a handsome car, very luxurious, but with a sporty soul. It has plenty of power for everyday driving, and the sport shift mode is a lot of fun.

Yes, it has front wheel drive, and a CVT. Those wouldn't be my first choice, but in everyday driving these have becoome a non-issue for me. The Max takes freeway onramps at speed with aplomb, and windy roads in the mountains just fine. It feels planted. It's steering and suspension are not BMW caliber, but the cost is much less. It's very quiet on the freeway, yet has a sporty soul when winding it up.

Do I care about Nissan's "4DSC" marketing slogan? Hell no, it's just the marketing department at work. Don't let that bother you, it's just marketing, and who really cares about that?

The stereo is excellent, way better than the standard stereos in the Lexus and BMW. The iPod interface is wonderful. The Navi works great, way better than our Highlander.

There are a few regular contributors on this site whose only reason for being here is to try to talk people out of the Maxima. I personally wouldn't have the time to spend on such an endeavor, but to each their own - and they are certainly welcome to voice their opinions here for whatever reasons motivate them. My opinion is that owning a certain expensive sports car or having a history of driving other cars or whatever doesn't make someone an expert on cars in general, or on the new Maxima in particular.

It's easy to talk down the Maxima because it's not rear-wheel-drive, or doesn't have a manual transmission, or whatever. From age 16 to 46 I drove nothing but manual transmissions, and just got tired of shifting in traffic.

Some people feel better about themselves when they are able to focus on being negative. Look out for them and take what they say with a grain of salt. Question their motivation for spending so much time on a forum for a car that they have no intention of buying.

If you are attracted to the Maxima, and it feels good to drive it, then go for it. This is a fine car, and I'm really glad I have it. Don't worry about what other people say, especially on an Internet forum. Go and drive all the cars for yourself and make up your own mind.

By the way, the dark gray exterior/black interior looks especially sporty - give it a look. I considered the sport package, but one of the auto mags said they feel not having the sport package improves the ride without hurting the handling. After trying both I agree. You can always get a spoiler added on, and it really is hard to tell the 18" from the 19" wheels.

I don't have a lot of time to spend on this site posting, but I wanted to be sure that for those who are interested in a Maxima and come here to see what others have to say, that I was able to give my perspective on this excellent new car.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    Thanks redbull.

I am not on the market for a new car at this time, but 09 maxima actually looks great but as a person in the business what made you chose a 1st year car?
    WOW Redbull sort of a long interesting way to get your point across. Automotive selection is mostly a subjective process, color, style, wheels, shape, those are all subjective aspects of selecting a car. That being said, all you had to say is "I got the new 09 Maxima because I like the car" and that would have sufficed. We are not here to judge people's choices, just express our opinions. Throughout your posting I pictured someone standing in front of a tribunal/court, or even Congress trying to testify/justify why they selected the Maxima, just liking it is enough. I am curious as to the wide range of vehicles you say you considered. The considerations range from expensive, to premiums, to SUVs and back to smaller cars. Being a licensed Auto Broker why would you look at the XF knowing it has a V8 if you did not want one? Why look at the X5 if you know its sticker is as high as it is and you are looking for a car not an SUV? if you are in the affordability range of an X5 then why look at the 335, smaller, cheaper? Did you look at the 5 series? I do agree with your issue with the TL although local dealers here are painting it in body color to soften the awkwardness and it helps a little on the visual effect.
    I have doubts about someone not getting the lexus GS simply because of the seat cushion, especially an auto broker. I doubt the X5's only attribute is the seat and suddenly the price was the reason for not going forward, an auto broker should have known the price going in. By the way, these X5s are being built in America and priced as an import, no wonder BMW does not need a bail out, America is getting duped and BMW is laughing all the way to the bank. Woops, same goes for Nissan, the Maxima is built right here and you paid import price, no matter what the discount is.
    No-1 is trying to talk anyone out of buying the Maxima, the final decision is that of the person who has to live with the choice. We simply express our views and move on. Personally I do not like the color scheme you chose, it has no life in such a dark color scheme, almost funeral-like. But the bottom line is, if you like it, then it is a good choice for you. I am still puzzled by the "sporty" classification of a vehicle, what do wheels and metallic interior trim have to do with sports?
    The views will continue to be expressed on these pages and the Blog will go on. If GM gets its act together, maybe I will pull up next to you in a V8 Pontiac G8 which discounts for about 29K and rumble away ahead of you in my comfy leather seats and 400 H.P. with enough leftover cash in my pocket to have it detailed monthly.
    U.S. built Nissans are NOT equal to Lexus, Acura, Jaguars, or Infinitys; no way no how.
    Hey out4cat, sorry if I was pretty windy, but I wanted to express my thoughts in detail, so there you go.

Being an auto broker really has nothing to do with how I consider a vehicle for myself, professionally I just get deals for other people and have a detailed knowledge about vehicle configurations.

Comfort should be at the top of the list for anyone considering a daily driver; if the Lexus seat is not comfortable, I think it's obvious that I would disclude that car from my consideration.

You mention the X5 several times, yet I didn't even look at it, or any other SUV. We already have a new Highlander, and that's enough for our family. I mention the 535i several times though, a very nice car. Also, I never metioned metallic interior trim...?

In my mind, "sporty" is a feel you get from all your sensory input when driving and or looking at a car - the Lexus for example, while somewhat planted in the handling department, sounds like a sewing machine - there is no soul there. It's a beautiful car on the exterior though.

I wanted a car for me, so looked at all the cars that have some appeal to me - there were no rules, i.e. has to be a sedan or big or small. I think the Jag XF is gorgeous. If when trying it out I were to totally fall in love with it, then I would have discounted the fact that it has a V8. That didn't happen though.

Same with the G37 coupe - a beautiful car with soul. It was just a bit too cramped for me, and I think the exhaust noise would be irritating after awhile. The BMW 3 series is a very appealing car, I had to try it out to realize that it was just too small, and way too expensive. Although as I was leasing, the cost wouldn't have been too prohibitive all other things considered.

Your final statement about the equality of Nissans vs. a number of brands is puzzling. How do you quantify that? Do you mean quality? Nissan generally finishes very high up in the quality ratings every year, usually beating Honda by a few places. After trying the new TL I thought the interior of the Maxima was much nicer, and the fit and finish is certainly no better on the TL. Same with the Lexus, I couldn't see a difference in quality between the GS350 and the Maxima. Jags are known for electrical glitches and other problems, but they have supposedly improved quality tremendously.

My new Max is very well buttoned down, no rattles, and the fit and finish of everything is suberb - I believe just as good as our Japanese-made Toyota Highlander. Given the improvement of Ford and GM in quality over the past few years, I think a statement that Japanese or German cars are better in quality is fast becoming a myth.

I stopped racing at stoplights years ago, so if you do come up next to me in a G8, I'll give you a friendly wave as you go by - I don't care about bragging rights, performance specs or wining races.

I do appreciate your response though, thanks for your time.
    Hi Alex,

I'm leasing for a period that's less than the warranty period, and I didn't want to wait. I also have faith in the JD Power quality ratings that put Nissan so high every year (this includes all of their cars, whether made in the US or Japan).

So there you are - being in the business gives me the perspective that this is a safe bet for me.

Thanks for your response.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Couple of points.

As far as I can tell, you do not own a new Max yet this is about the only board you post on. Nearly all, if not all, of your posts are bashing the Max in some way. What is your extreme negative interest in this car?

In your last post you criticized the poster for his post being too long...and your reply was about as long as his was ! What's up with that?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I only post on this board because I have an interest in the Maxima, had an 01, 04, now have an 07,and started with a 96 Nissa Altima way back when GM's service record pushed me away.
    I previously wrote that I should drive the Max in order to really see what they have done with the new CVT, I also wrote that I am waiting to see one in the right color to catch my eye and go for. Good points made by others on this blog have be thinking differently.
    I am not going to be in the market for this or any vehicle until 2010-2011 because of my present lease agreement. That is really different than bashing the car, just simple observations based on subjectivity, I think you can read real bashing earlier in the blog and not from me.
    My point, even though drawn out in a long reply, was that liking a car, without a care for other's opinion, or a 200+ justification of it, is what it is all about. In watching the show "Car Crazy, Barry Maguire speaks of passion, which transcends justifications and goes to the heart of the matter, liking the car. I admire those who have the car and love it, I am simply not there yet even if the lease agreement allowed me to switch right at this moment.
    After reading the cars and criteria (HP, size, RWD vs FWD, price...etc) others on this post consider when making their decision, I wanted to know what Redbull, as a broker took into consideration and why, just to have a more diverse perspective when I start looking again, it is that simple.
    Did you really read all of my posts, wow thanks...
    Outcat, I found the colors not the greatest either, as I would really love to get a lighter green for my next ride--nothing doing with the Max. Yours does sound beautiful in the coral sand. I particularly like the tailamps and rear view on the '07. BTW, I found that the new one looks better on the road somehow than when it's jammed into the showroom. It may grow on you.

If I could change something on the '09, I would like them to put the 3.7 that's now in the '09 G37 sedan, and possible the 7 speed also from the G37, as the CVT seems to cause some controversy. But since that's not available, it's hard to argue with the 3.5 and the CVT sounds pretty decent now. Not sure how much it would cost to replace that transmission though if you keep the car a long time and it goes... Just my 2 cents.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Redbull,

Great choice!!! I've owned my 09 Maxima now for over 4 months and love the car more now than when I purchased it back in August. 0 problems. I also came very close to getting a GS350 - but decided to save the bucks. h

I still view this car more as a luxury car than a performance car - especially when you get the Premium package. Where else can you get all of the luxury amenities of dual moonroofs, air conditioned seats, rear ac/radio controls, power sunshade, heated steering wheel in a car in the mid-30's??? It simple, you cant!!!
    Well the effects of a glass of wine certainly had its effects on me, for some reason I related your comment about the 535 with the X5, Touche with your come back.
    I also saw the comment specifically to the 335i coupe but in general to the G37 and assumed (I know what happens when one assumes) that you meant the sedan. I agree with and share your opinion of the coupe G37. I considered moving from Nissan up to the G but with 3 grown children the car did not have enough space, something in common with your assessment.
    My question about sporty and steel interior trim comes from noticing that some vehicles that are marketed as the "de-luxe" version, as yours, are trimmed with wood or imitation wood interior trim and then the same car in its "sport version" suddenly switches the interior trim to some cold metal pieces. If you look at the 09 Max with the Sport Package, the interior trim does just what I mentioned, I believe yours with the premium package has a wood-tone or wood-like trim. The logic behind that is unbeknown to me. Good thing that www.autoanything.com offers replacement trims options.
    The quality statement comes from having driven the 04 and now the 07 version of the Maxima.Take a close look at one if you run across one. In the 04 and 07 you will notice that you can look through the gap between the front driver door and front fender and see the screw that holds it in place, you can run your finger along the upper part of the door forward and see where your finger will come to a complete stop when you reach the front fender because they do not match up, you can look at the trunk and see the gap with the rear fenders varies in separation especially as you approach the separate piece next to the tail light, and finally you can look at where the interior upper section of the doors meet the dash board and see that they do not line up. These are all major failures in quality control for a Japanese car, and especially a flagship car. Specifically In my 07 model, the interior trim on the top section of the passenger door has a gap with the dash board that far exceeds the same gap on the driver side. It is all about attention to detail, whoever let these faults get to the consumer should not be in the car business. Is it because they are built here, maybe not because my daughter's $17,000.00 Pontiac G6 does not suffer from any such failure sin quality. I think American cars have come a long way, they deserve a look these days.
    I thought the electrical problems with Jaguars had gone away with the Ford influence, am I wrong on that? What was Acura thinking when they designed that front grille?
    Gee you gave up racing at stop lights at a young age of 46, come on man are you serious? Actually so have I, the comment was meant as a joke. I did that with a partner Maxima a few weeks ago and got clobbered because my 07 had the CVT and his 05 did not.
    Hey on a serious note, since you are in the car business, why do I not get the scent of leather in my Maxima that I notice in German cars, some American cars, and other Japanese premium brands? There is something wonderfully intoxicating about the scent of good leather, yet my Maxima does not exude such a scent, neither do any of the 09 versions I have sat in.
    I love the dialogue redbull, thanks for the exchange of opinions. As I stated in a previous post, I will test drive the 09 and then provide my opinion on the blog. Happy motoring to you and all...
    Yeah carnut if you notice, most of the colors are some variation in shade of the color black (silver-light black, precision grey-medium black, dark slate-dark black, and of course full black. only the blue, tuscan sun, and majestic jade offer the consumer a choice other than black. And if I choose to pay $2,300.00 for the sport package, I lose the option of having the interior trim color in cafe latte, what is up with limiting the customer for spending more money?
    In my 07, I chose the precision grey because they did away with the coral sand. Luckily for me, I found one with frost color seats instead of black ones, it makes such a difference.
    Who knows, as time goes by maybe the CVT will be re-tuned and become enthusiast friendly. I will let you know what I think of the new CVT when I test drive the 09, I will make sure it has the sport package which includes shift paddles. Your 2 cents count, just like all of ours. Bottom line is to have fun with the car we all drive, I do so with mine.
  • briroganbrirogan Member Posts: 17
    I know this question wasnt directed at me but I wanted to comment....
    I too drove many vehicles before buying the new Maxima. (Ie G35, M35 Lexus IS, Mercedes) I found the handling and pick up to be much better than all cars listed for the price, not to mention I wanted something that no one had on the road. I now have 6k miles on my Maxima and LOVE it just as much as I did the day I drove it off the lot. To date 6 months later have seen only 1 maxima in the greater Houston area which is cool because no one even know what I am driving unless they stare.

I would suggest neg. for a lower price with the market and all, I paid 35k including TTL for Silver Maxima with no nav the weekend they came out. I hope this helps in your car search.
    I agree with Redbull dont listen to everyone bashing the Maxima, go drive it or listen to someone that has owned one for 6,000 miles not someone who just has too much time on their hands. :P
    Hey carnut35, just wanted to let you know that the Premium pkg without the Sport pkg also has shift paddles. The software for the CVT transmission does a pretty good job of simulating a regular automatic tranny with shift paddles, i.e. it holds the RPMs until you shift it. I actually prefer using the console shifter in sport mode over the paddles, it works very well.

There is no difference in the engine or transmission with the Sport package; the suspension tuning is stiffer, the 19" wheels, spoiler and metal instead of wood in the interior I believe are the only differences.

With the Sport package you can't get the air conditioned driver's seat, the dual sunroof, the heated steering wheel (this is paying off big for me right now).

Most of the car magazines say this is the best interation of the CVT they have seen, but having said that it's still a CVT. I don't mind it, and it supposedly enables better gas mileage, but I would have much preferred Nissan's new seven speed AT that's in the Infinitis for 2009.

The reason why dealers stock mostly white, silver, gray and black cars (not just with the Maxima), is that those are the biggest selling colors (in that order) in the U.S. This increases their chances of having a car in stock that will be suitable to someone coming in off the street, and them getting an impulse sale. The other colors are out there though, one of the dealers near to where I live has two green Maximas with sport package in stock right now. The green looks more like silver though, it just has a bit of a greenish tint if you look at it in a certain light. It's a nice color.
    I've noticed when I'm on the freeway people racing to catch up to me, then slowing down to take a look. This is especially true at night - the Max's taillights look very cool at night, and very unique - it doesn't look like any other car out there.

Glad you are enjoying your Max!
    It's good to hear the positive stories about the new purchases, and it seems Nissan did a better job w/the CVT than on the previous version. I've decided not to buy now (old car runs fast and well), but after reading and looking for me it would come down to the Max, the '09 TL SHWD, or the new G37 sedan with the 7 speed and big horsepower (I think it's over 300). It seems like the Max has a distinct price advantage in this comparison, although the warranty is 1 year shorter and I don't know if Nissan service is as good as Infinity or Acura. Acura is excellent, I can say from experience, and I imagine Infiniti is. Anyone have substantial experience with Nissan service departments?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I think you guys who have driven the CVT and then put it down very badly are doing it an injustice....... And look at the numbers: I think I saw 6.2 seconds 0 to 60; that's class leading fast, and probably a good bit faster than whatever you're driving now.

Sorry it's taken awhile to respond, but better late than never.

Regarding performance, Edmunds tested the 2009 Maxima SV sport at 6.3 seconds 0-60. Edmunds Test.

That Edmunds number feels just about right based upon my buttmeter and comparisons to two cars I own: a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed that is in the 6.0 second range and a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed that was tested by virtually every automotive rag at 6.6-6.7 seconds. So, on the one hand, you can make the claim that the Maxima certainly isn't slow. But, look at it another way. It now takes 100 more horsepower (290 vs. 190) for the CVT Maxima to shave a whopping 0.3-0.4 seconds off of my 14 year old Maxima's time. By comparison, a 300 hp 335i is in the 4.9 second range, so calling the Maxima "class leading" is absurd, unless you are picking a different class than "sport sedan". Even the (70 fewer horsepower) 328i is quicker. How much does the CVT have to do with underachieving performance? A lot. Surely FWD vs RWD is a factor when comparing to BMW. But the weight of a 2009 Maxima and 335i are neck and neck.

Fuel efficiency is another weakness of the CVT. It get's decent EPA ratings (as did my 2004 TL). But the actual fuel efficiency reports I've heard back on the 2009 Maxima are pitiful - according to my Nissan dealer, the 2009 executive demo that he drives has averaged 17.8 mpg in 6,500 miles in highway biased mixed driving. Test drives account for less than 200 miles, so that's not much of a factor. By comparison, my 1995, with only 5 gears and running at 3,000+ rpms on the highway has averaged 24.1 mpg over 155k miles. 20-22 in the city, 28-29 on the highway.

That said, my biggest gripe isn't with the "numbers". I just can't accept the numbness, hesitation and disconnected feel the CVT causes in what is supposed to be a "sports" sedan. It's not just evident in hard accceleration, it rears its ugly head when I'm taking a left turn at 10 mph. I simply want a transmission to feel more direct and responsive.

I'm not asking Nissan to punt the CVT against the wishes of buyers that don't care about responsiveness and direct control. I'm simply asking for the option of a short throw 6-speed manual on behalf of those of us that do. Is that really to much to ask for in a car that labeled as a 4DSC?
    I won't contest you on points concerning the Maxima being a sports car. It's no BMW 3 series but it's definitely as comfortable as a 5series and a lot cheaper.

Mileagewise I'm geting 23 in city/freeway driving (1100 miles) and I'll post my highway mileage after I take a longer trip.

As far as the CVT it has been very smooth. As far as I'm concerned the CVT is never in the wrong gear like an auto can be when you slow down to 30, the trannys in 5th and you punch it. There's always a hestitaion as it drops 3 gears to catch up.
    I am all up to speed feedback about colors, CVT, quality, avg mileage and looks of the new MAX but have 1 question for new owners, does the exhaust note sound like the note in the 350/370 Z or G37 coupe? I noticed the new design of the exhaust tip on the 09 Maxima is similar to the one on the Z and G, just wonder if it sounds the same. In my 07 I get a pretty nice engine sound from the cabin but outside the car is just as silent as a Buick.
    Priced an SV in a local dealer stickering at 37k and red tagged at 31,500 plus tax. I am shocked this price is better than the broker price that red-bull got on his. I did not go for it because these cars all had charcoal seats. The dealer had 27 Maximas in stock, 8 of them were set at 31,500.