Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Kia Optima

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
Word is out that the Optima will get a significant make-over for 2009, including powertrain upgrades and styling tweaks. Let's talk about it and share what you know about it!

I think the 2006.5-2008 Optima is a solid offering in the mid-sized class, with just the right blend of room, ride comfort, handling, size, and tasteful styling inside and out. And the price is right. Only two things I don't like: 1) ESC/ABS is hard to find on the LX, which is my preferred trim, and can't be had without getting an expensive appearance package; 2) the IIHS hasn't reported the side crash test results on the car yet. I am hoping that both of these issues, particularly the availability of ESC/ABS, will be addressed in the 2009 Optima.

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I think ESC/ABS should be standard. If they had the volume,they could just raise the price by a couple of hundred and not lose anything of their profit.Safety should be the #1 concern.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Plus ESC (and therefore ABS) is mandated by 2011 anyway, so why not get ahead of the curve along with Sonata, Accord etc. and make ESC standard for the 2009 refresh? If it can be standard on cars like the Sportage, why not the 2009 Optima?
    yep...especially since I think Sonatas do have them as standard.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/kia/2009-kia-optima-ar54307/picture239225-0.html

I liked the large clear taillights and the flat instrumentation. Stability package is still optional. The front looks like the late, unlamented Ford Five Hundred, the tail like the last-gen Accord.
    I'm not impressed by what I'm seeing of the 2009 Optima. The revised I4, which matches what's in the Sonata and is now on par for the class, is a nice change, but I don't see anything special here. One of the things I liked about the Optima was that it was a little smaller than most mid-sizers, including the Sonata--now it's about the same size outside as the Sonata, and probably weighs more for 2009 as a result.

190 hp for the tweaked V6?? Why bother? Why would anyone buy one, at a premium, compared to the very nice 175 hp I4? :confuse:

And ABS is still an option!! (ESC too of course) That is inexcusable for a mid-sized sedan refreshed for 2009. :mad:
    The more I've thought about it, the less I like it. While I had looked forward to getting one whenever I finally decide to buy, I now doubt if it will be an Optima. I've never owned a Ford product, but I really liked the Mercury Milan I saw at the car show, and if they will throw in an extended warranty, I might do it. It comes in a Premiere trim with a four and is very attractive and has good reviews.

Maybe the Optima will look better in black. I'm not in any hurry, so I'll wait and see.
    What it does is open up an opportunity for me late this year, when I will buy a car, to get one of the last 2008 Optimas (LX, with ESC/ABS and the mandatory Appearance pkg) at a big "close out" discount, maybe at the same price as a smaller car like the Elantra and less than a comparably-equipped 2009 Sonata.
    And that's a good idea, but I know exactly what I want, and I'm not optimistic about finding it when the '08's have been picked over. That's why I think a larger company would have more selection than Kia seems to have.
    Well, I don't know that I'll find an Optima I want at that time either. At the end of last year, there were two 2007 Optima LXes with ABS/ESC in the five-state region around me. But it IS an option. Multiple options are good. And makes for a firmer negotiating position. :)
    As far as multiple options, of course I would look at competing models. And, if I found one I liked, would be sure to tell them I was looking at other brands (and that they had offered me a great deal!).
    I really do like the 2009 model better.The whole front as well as the tail lights,look much more attractive.I have not seen the interior.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Like many Hyunkia mid platform adjustments, neither bad nor good. I agree that the front clip looks a bit Ford-like. Instrument cluster looks a bit Malibu-ish. Really like my semi-electroluminescent blue on white instruments quite a bit better, including having electronic gas and termperature indicators rather than the old style needles. And that red is so Mazda-Pontiacish...

Frankly the more time that elapses, the more I prefer my Malibu Maxx to my 07 Optima. My wife on the other hand prefers the Kia.
    CS....you always did have a love affair with your Max..I have never driven one,but the Malibu looks pretty nice and even the low end model comes with lots of options as standard equipment.The only remaining issue I have with my Optima is the ride over bumps. Not too smooth at all.The Accord sure seems more substantial,but of course you pay for it. :)
    http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0803_2009_kia_optima_comparison_phot- o_gallery/index.html

Hate to dis a car I haven't seen in person but I don't think I like the styling at all:

1. Front clip Fordish slant-- like the 065-08 better
    2. Sides-- No real changes
    3. Back clip-- two generations ago Accord--- nah!
    4. Interior garish-- like the present appearance group semi-electroluminescent much better. This one belongs on a Pontiac.

All in all, at least in pictures, it's a big disappointment despite the improved 4 cylinder. The present car is one of the most attractive mid-sizers, the new one is a mish-mash of competing design clues. Is this the result of the sacking of lots of American talent at Kia in the last few years?
    I like the new mirrors and it looks like they have MPG on the trip computer.The rear to me looks the same as my 2006.5. The rest,I agree with you.I'm quite happy with mine,but perhaps the 2009 drives better...whio knows?
    I agree. I like the powertrain improvements, esp. with the I4, but I like the looks of the current car better. I am just hoping I can snag a 2008 I4 with ABS/ESC before year's end.
    Optimas must be selling,the dealer where I bought mine had only 2,both EX with I4 engine.
    I asked a dealer in Des Moines about an EX I4 they had in inventory that might have ABS/ESC based on the MSRP. They replied that that car didn't have ABS/ESC, but they did have a few EXs with ABS/ESC--they were all loaded cars, one was an I4 that lists for nearly $24k. They also told me that Kia does not offer the EX I4 with just the ABS/ESC package, or even with ABS/ESC plus Appearance package. :mad: So it looks like if I am going to get an Optima I4 with ABS/ESC, it will need to be an LX (with what they call package 30, which is ABS/ESC + Appearance package). But those appear to be very very rare. I think I found a few in Chicago, but none closer than that.
    Where are you located Backy...sounds like you are in my neck of the woods.I'm 150 miles from Chicago and about 50 miles from Davenport.Check out the inventory at Lujack motors in Davenport.They might have what you're looking for.
    The LX is not all that different other than the trip computer and the AC unit which is basic.
    I'm in the Twin Cities. Looks like Lujack has 4 Optimas in stock, 2 relatively basic LXes (no ABS/ESC). :(

EX does have leather and power driver's seat, but some of its features are in the LX Appearance package as you alluded. Although EX has 16" alloys standard while LX AP has 17 inchers.
    I guess it depends on what floats your boat:) Good luck with your search...
    I went to the site and noticed one really BIG thing on the Build and Price section: it appears ESC is now standard on every trim level, including the base LX 5MT!!! This is a very pleasant surprise, since it was never mentioned in any of Kia's announcements about the 2009 Optima. I would think they would have made a bigger deal out of it, since not that many mid-sized sedans have ESC standard on every trim level. And since the LX 5MT starts at $18k MSRP, that probably makes the Optima the lowest-priced mid-sized sedan with standard ESC (not counting the Elantra SE, which is a compact with a mid-sized interior).

It also means the price of the Optima has gone up quite a bit from 2008, since more equipment is standard. For example, the LX I4 5AT starts at $19,625 including destination. But that's still about $500 less than the Sonata GLS.
    And since Hyunkia has no concept of supply and demand they'll simply start cranking out 09's at a fast rate. I'm sure you'll get a pretty big discount if you hold on a couple of months.

Although I still like the earlier car's looks better, that new corporate grill isn't that bad.
    Rear clip looks like 2 generation old Accord, front will bring together similar look with next-gen Spectra replacement. Like the 08's and earlier better-- especially rear.

Instrument panel different but didn't see it lit up.
    Good morning CS. Been a while since I've seen you here.Just a couple comments about the new Optima.I like it's looks better than my 2006.5,but I would miss the Cassette player.At any rate I'm just a "window" shopper anyway.Barring the destruction of my Optima in a horrific accident,it's my last car.
  • ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    We were thinking of a new Optima for our daughter, but we are actually seeing 2007 models with as few as 18,000 miles and a completely clean carfax for less than $9,000 U.S.

We know we don't get the 100,000 mile/10 Year warranty, but the savings are immense by buying a slightly used one.

Any opinions?
    Less than $9000? I would jump on that as soon as I could.I have 23,000 on mine and it's just like a new one.If you do the required maintenance,you probably would not need the 100,000 mile warranty.Is that one an LX with an I4? That would definitely be my engine preference.
    Kias haven't improved their resale like Hyundai. Good car with high depreciation. A compelling used car buy.

Since (I believe) 60K of the warranty transfers, there's absolutely no reason to buy any kind of third party or extended warranty (seldom if ever is in any car).
    The other thing you probably won't get on a 2007 Optima is ABS, ESC, and traction control, which are extremely rare on LXes but not that common on EXes either, from what I've found. If you find a low-miles 2007 with those options for a good price, grab it because it is a rare find. The 2009s on the other hand have those features standard. IMO that is a big deal for a car purchased for a child, but to each his own.
    Guys, it's the base LX, with the inline 4, which we wanted her to have anyways, because of the economy and the fact the 6 is not much more powerful.

Backy, you are right. It does not have ESC or traction control, but I need to double check and see if it has ABS.

That's a great point. I really want her to have ESC, especially with her first car.
    Unfortunately, with the 2006.5-2008 Optima, ABS comes only in the options package that has ESC. And on the LX, you have to get the automatic plus the Appearance package to get the ABS/ESC package, so it was about a $20k MSRP car. That may be one reason dealers didn't order many of those with ABS/ESC.

So if the car you're looking at doesn't have ESC, it doesn't have ABS either.

Another option in this class of car that does have all those safety features is of course the 2006+ Sonata. You might have to pay a little more for one of those, but I've seen some low-miles 2007-8 Sonatas recently, nicely equipped (power seat, moonroof) with the I4 for under $12k.
    Thanks Backy. I didn't know that ABS was only available with ESC.

I can do without the traction control, but ESC and ABS are a deal breaker the more my wife and I think about it.

We'll have to find something with those features, or maybe consider buying a new car.

Don
    To get the subject back on the 09's--

HyunKia more than any other company has absolutely no ability to adjust for supply and demand. They pretty well ramp up production as high as they can get it, even if no one buys the product. As a result you will probably find big discounts on 09 in a month or two.
    Looking at any dealer's lot,regardless of the brand,you will see a lot of excess cars.Nobody seems to adjust to supply and demand.I submit that this is good for the consumer,or all the cars would be selling at MSRP.
  • ViperggVipergg Member Posts: 24
    How are Kia's in general for reliabilty ? I like the looks of the 09 Optima . Sat in one at the auto show and I thought it was as good inside and out as any midsize car . Also is it true you have to burn about $400 to get the timing belt change at 60000 miles . that seems like an awfully short interval.
    Kias have improved a lot in reliability over the past few years. One data point on the Optima is that Consumer Reports has the 2009 Optima as "Much better than average" (its top mark) in predicted reliability, based on the 2006.5-8 Optimas. It rates the 2006.5 as "above average" and 2007 as "much better than average". It didn't report on the 2008 model in its April auto issue because of insufficient sample size from their subscriber survey.

The I4 does not use a timing belt, but a chain. It has no specified replacement interval. The V6 does use a timing belt however. But consider that the difference in hp between the I4 and V6 is pretty small, just 19, so with the extra maintenance and fuel costs of the V6, plus extra money up front, you might want to go with the I4.
    Hi Backy,
    Seems like you "stole" all of my comments,lol...
    I think that under the skin the 2009 is pretty much the same car as my 2006.5.It has been very reliable so far.Other than having a real trip computer.Why didn't they have that MPG indicator in the earlier models?I have put on over 25K miles and it has been virtually trouble free.Once we got the issue with the passenger side air bag light fixed,it has been great.
    The big change "under the skin" for 2009 is the upgraded I4 with 175 (vs. 162 hp), and I think the old V6 got a little more power also. I don't understand why Kia still bothers with a V6 that is far outclassed by every other mid-sized sedan. Why not just use the 3.3L from the Sonata? :confuse:
    Oops, I forgot what might be an even bigger change "under the skin" for 2009: standard ABS, traction control, and ESC ! Those were very hard to find on the Optima before, so that is a welcome addition.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The new 09 Optima has a USB/Aux port. Unfortunately you can't use just the iPod sync cable since that won't work right. In order to solve this you must buy a special iPod cable for $30. The Kia dealer should have it but the Hyundai version works just fine. 08620-2L000 is the part for the Hyundai cable and it's about $30. You can get the cables at your dealers parts department. They should be able to get it for you. You get full iPod integration with this cable.
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    Based on my understanding and from what I heard, Hyundai-KIA are trying to make distinctions between Sonata and Optima. KIA wants (or they intend) to have bigger engine market customers to go with Hyundai and buy 3.3 V6 Sonatas thus giving Hyundais more upscale look and feel than the KIAs.
    I own a 2006.5 Optima, and it's been virtually trouble free.I just crossed 26,000 miles recently and I love the car.I realize the 2009 looks totally different,but I believe under the skin it's pretty much the same car.
    The timing belt is an issue only with the 2.7 liter V6 engine.The I4 has a timing chain.I have the 4 cylinder model and it has plenty enough pep for me.I get about 25MPG in mixed driving,although it isn't too hot in the city,the highway real world is at least as good as the EPA rating.I have on one occasion exceeded 40MPG.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • 470470 Member Posts: 1
    I just Bought the 2009 a few days ago. There are a few changs. Stryling is right there now with any other midsize car. Also they have made the Traction control standard (ESC) ABS Standard and Sirus sadalite radio and sport shift standerd on all optima's in any trim package. I owned a 2002 and liked it untill I drove it to 80,000 on the original timing belt and took out the head. I sold it in 2006 and made a big mistake and got a windstar. After a tranny, starter and electrical problems I traded it in on this 2009 Kia Optima when I found out that they replaced realy the only major problem with there cars which was the timing belt and made some excellent changes in styling. The interior is suprisingly close to the 2002 in seating ( they have had good leg room since than I can fit in the back seat at 6'4) front in back but the dash is completly diffrent with a two tone Black and Beige. One last thing They do not come standard in any trim package with tinted windows, I would suggest that you make them through it in. I got 7,000 in rebates and only paid $12,500.00. Everyone is hungery for sales, so work your dealer over and they will bend over backwards All in all I am pleased to have bought a brand new car booked a 21,000.00 for 12,696.00.
  • mcmaxmcmax Member Posts: 14
    HI. I have driven the LX listed at $19,720. The salesman says he can only give me $7000 off ($2500 Kia cash, $1000 comp bonus for owning a Camry and $3500 cash for clunkers). I know they can do better - your deal proves it. Would you mind breaking down the price for me? Not sure what your sales tax is - mine is 7%. For that extra 1K+, did you get an SX or V6 or roof? Thanks!
    What are you trading in that you're getting only $3500?
  • mcmaxmcmax Member Posts: 14
    Caravan 3.3 engine - just qualifies with 18 mpg average. I'll need 28 mpg to get the full $4500, not the case with the Optima.
    Have you tried the new KIA compact,I forget it's name.It probably averages 28 or better.Unfortunately since it's a new model,they probably aren't being discounted much.