Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series Lease Questions

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
Ask your 1-Series lease questions here!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• drizzle10drizzle10 Member Posts: 2
    How much would I be able to negotiate on the cash due at signing? I was told at the first dealership $5000 w/ taxes and at a second dealership was told $4000.

The lease special currently on the 128 is $287/mnth w/ 10k and manual. I would like power seats ($975) automatic trans ($1200) and $15k. What would I expect to be paying monthly for this vehicle? :confuse:
  • ilovedogsilovedogs Member Posts: 11
    "$287/mnth"

who has this "special"?

thanks!
  • hairysodahairysoda Member Posts: 97
    this weekend in the miami hearld
    128 couoe not automatic and 10k mikes a year for 24 mths
    $287/mth
    i was also quoted for a 128 convertible that was on ebay today. this car has a msrp of $41000. he said with just first and inception $687/mth for 24 mths and 12k miles a year

im am gonna wait till this summer and then i feel bmw will put a good program on these cars
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Hairysoda: I just got back from Miami, and yesteday's Herald had all kinds of incredible lease prices advertised in the cars.com section, not only for BMW. On close inspection, however, the fine print essentially always had hefty "cash down at signing" numbers and were being quoted for very base cars. I have family in S. FLA and go there often ... and see these "bargains" every time I'm there. I keep looking for that special deal that I can't come close to matching here in AZ and have come up dry every time in the last 22 years.

That aside, I would happily pay $287 per month for 10K and 24 months but I'm willing to wager that the cash down would be in the $5K vicinity. Bart :shades:

BTW: For comparison, I'm presently leasing an Infiniti M35 with everything ... $51K msrp that I took when that car first hit the market exactly three years ago this week. With $2,500 cash down my lease is $600/month. Now shopping for the next car.
  • domrep1domrep1 Member Posts: 1
    I believe that If you can make the negotiations
    constructive we can both benefit! I have been doing extensive research and
    I would need certain factors to proceed ie low money factor, high
    residual, capitalized cost reduction, start negotiations at invoice price
    etc...

Dealer response!!!

Thank you for your consideration. Rates and residuals are set by BMW and vary from model to model. The lower the miles allowed per year (10K) the higher the residual will be. Capitalized cost reduction is at your option. No one negotiates on a 135i and as for the 335i, I have a little wiggle room from MSRP. Invoice is not a starting point for negotiations.
    1. Invoice is an excellent starting point
    2. 335's are available at 500-1000 over invoice anywhere
    3. 135's are just ugly IMO (and to MANY others) - the ride and drive is similar to a Ford Mustang
    4. lots of dealers have 135's on the lot that are NOT selling (too ugly, too rough, too crude and too close to a 335 in price)
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    4. lots of dealers have 135's on the lot that are NOT selling (too ugly, too rough, too crude and too close to a 335 in price)

We love dogs also, as an aside. Dealers are, by nature, lower than dogs in the food chain. They have something we hanker ... their vehicle. We have something they crave ... our dollars. Any dealer who says he's not willing to negotiate is a liar ... and on his way to losing his young franchise. Bart :shades:
    blov, dealers are worthless scum - all franchised dealers spend countless hours in weekly meetings on how best to screw the retail consumer. honesty is a foreign concept to them (all of them).
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi drizzle10. Technically BMW is not running any special leases on the 1-Series right now. Anyone who wants to lease one through BMW Financial Services will have to use its standard lease money program. I believe that BMW FS' buy rate standard lease money factor is currently around .00260.

As far as how much you will have to pay at lease signing to lease a BMW goes, I always advise consumers to pay as little as possible. It is not really a good idea to make a large capitalized cost reduction when leasing. Consumers who make one risk losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You would be better off not making any sort of cap cost reduction on your lease, even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher. All you have to pay at signing on a lease through BMW FS are your car's first month's payment, its $625 acquisition fee, a security deposit that's equivalent to your monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50 increment, and any state taxes or fees. You can even roll the acquisition fee into your car's capitalized cost to make it part of your monthly payment if you want. Also, BMW FS will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of .00015 in the money factor that's used to calculate your car's payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • drizzle10drizzle10 Member Posts: 2
    So I ended up leasing a 2008 328i Coupe. I love the car...the drive is amazing. I ended up paying $3750 total cash due at signing including taxes. Im paying $489 plus tax a month. The car has 17" wheels, xenon headlights, spoiler, and thats pretty much it.

Was it a good deal? :confuse:
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I love Dogs to. I'm also a dealer [salesperson] and I really don't appreciate being called a liar.

You obviously have had a bad experience with someone buying a car. I'm sorry that's happened. Please don't paint us all with your giant brush.
  • mattlemattle Member Posts: 4
    drizzle10, how may K mile did you lease for and how long? How much did you bought the car for. I am looking for one too. thanks
  • elizarievelizariev Member Posts: 8
    I'm helping a friend to lease a 128 convirtible. What is the current MF, residuals, etc? There are no specials still, but do you know if any are coming up soon?

I would love to hear from the hosts, but please post if you had any recent experiences with leases?

Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    From Tarry at leasecompare, as posted on bimmerfest:

128i 'vert for June
    24 Month – Residual 73% of MSRP – .00263 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00263 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00263 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 38% of MSRP – .00263 Base Rate

Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks for the info, qbrozen. Just a heads up, BMW is not currently providing any lease support on the 1-Series. That means if one wants to lease it through BMW Financial Services' they will have to use its standard lease program. BMW FS' buy rate standard lease money factor varies by region. Anyone who definitely wants to lease a 1 should do so now. BMW announced yesterday that it will raise its standard money factor slightly on June 23rd. It will only cause this car's lease payment to increase by a couple of bucks, but if you are certain that you want one there's no reason to pay more than you have to.

Car_man
    Host
  • traderbtraderb Member Posts: 38
    hi car man, do you have the new residuals, rates on the 1 series convetibles? 135 specifically?
    Hi traderb. BMW is not currently providing lease support on any 1-Series models. Interestingly though, it did introduce a new special financing program which provides a rate of 2.9% for up to 5 years on the '08 135i Convertible this month.

If you choose to lease this car through BMW Financial Services, you will have to use its standard lease program. BMW FS' standard lease money factor varies by region, but it is probably around .00270 on average right now. Its 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the '08 i35i Convertible is 56%. This residual is 2% higher on leases with only 12,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • MLB999MLB999 Member Posts: 12
    car_man or anyone else with insight....

Our dealer has two '08 135 convertibles left

MSRP on one is $49,500 (loaded) - it was a demo - has 5,000 miles on it

MSRP on the other is $45,000

Looking to put the minimum down on a 36mo, 15K lease

Any thoughts on what we should be paying?
    Hi MLB999. I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for the 135 Convertible right now, but I suspect that it is like most of the auto industry at the moment...soft. If I was in the market for this car right now and I lived in an area that has a decent level of competition, I personally would shoot for a selling price that's as close to dealer invoice as possible, particularly on the demo model. You can look up these cars' exact dealer invoice prices over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Once you have a selling price, let me know and I would be happy to crunch some numbers for you to give you an idea of what sort of monthly payment these cars will have.

Car_man
    Host
  • ZoneMobJZoneMobJ Member Posts: 17
    Hi -

This is what i just got:

135i Steel Grey
    Premium Package
    Sport Pack (includes M steering)
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    Xenon Lights
    Ipod Package
    compass

$453 per month + Tax with Approx $3500 down

By the way....I live in LA and everyone is driving a 3 series so there is a bit of the rareness factor - secondly...the car drives like a beast so the ugliness is not an issue for me :)
  • PaulBDPaulBD Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,

This is Paul a newbie to this forum. I live in the Bay Area. My lease on a 2007 Z4 will be up in a couple months, and I'll be looking forward to leasing a 1 series coupe, premium, sport, blue-tooth, stick shift, minimum down payment, 10K miles a year, 24 months. Anyone has an idea what would be approximate monthly payment? Thanks in advance for chiming in.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!
    Welcome PaulBD. I would be happy to use BMW's actual lease program to work up a sample payment on the exact car that you are interested in for you. However, in order to do so I need you to provide me with its MSRP and approximate selling price first. You can look up the MSRP and invoice price (which would suffice) over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. Let me know what these figures are and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • bethygbethyg Member Posts: 4
    Hey there -

Is the above what you paid for the 135 or ? My car lease is up next month and am looking at either getting another Audi or leasing a 128 or 135 convertible. I would love to know what people are paying for their leases. I am in Los Angeles also.

Thanks!
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for the response. From both Edmund's New Car Pricing, such a 2009 car with the options I like (manual, black sapphire metallic, sport, premium, heated front seats and steering, bluetooth, destination charge) is quotaed at $42,875 (MSRP) and $39,445 (invoice).
    No problem, PaulBD. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 BMW 135i Coupe that has an MSRP of $42,875 and a selling price of $39,945 ($500 over invoice...it may be a tad optimistic, but why not aim high) through BMW Financial Services right now for 24 months with 10,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $644.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks a lot Car_man. May I practically hope that in 2 or 3 months the MSRP and invoice numbers would be lower still?
  • mjopprumjoppru Member Posts: 18
    Orange County Register - (CA) - Irvine BMW was advertising a $399 +TTL lease on a loaded 135 Convertible (prem, sport, auto, etc) for 36 mo, 10K mi with about $3500 down.

Anybody seeing this too?

Sweetheart deal I think on a $50K rig.
    You're very welcome, PaulBD. Generally speaking, vehicles' MSRPs and dealer invoice prices go up as time passes, not down. I heard that BMW raised its prices slightly on a number of models on January 1st, but I don't know off of the top of my head if the 1-Series was one of them.

Having said this, vehicles' actual selling prices usually trend downward as the model year progresses.

Car_man
    Host
  • pilotnewbiepilotnewbie Member Posts: 8
    I am currently in the throws of negotiating a lease with local BMW dealer.
    Its a 2008 135i convertible. Pretty much loaded. Dealer says lease rates are much better on the 2008's. They have located the car I wanted (options, colors, etc.) at another dealership.

What they are offering:

MSRP $50,950 - I confirmed this on Edmunds.com

Negotiated Price $47,800
    Cost to ship to my local dealer is included in neg. price. (i think they said $500.00)

Money Factor .0007
    36-month, 10,000 mile (3rd car wont be driven great amount)
    Residual 59%

Out of pocket at signing... $1,643.00. First month. + doc fees+security deposit + misc. Security deposti of $700.00 seems high?

They are charging me $925 acq fee from BMFS!!!??? Is this legit. Can I get them to waive or further drop the negotiated price. Didn't look like there were many customers around last week.

Is this a good deal. Seem like it if I compare to MF/residual guidelines and other deals I am seeing.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
  • jlsellersjlsellers Member Posts: 38
    The buy rate on the lease is .0005 and the Acq. Fee is $725, so the dealer is marking both of these rates up to the maximum allowed by BMWFS, This is negotiatble. I would insist on them using the .0005 rate.
  • andy_martiniandy_martini Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of leasing a BMW i128 convertible.

the dealer's price with options is $38,900.
    The Edmunds skinny is :
    - $35,050 Invoice,
    - $37,286 TMV
    I would like to get the payment to $520/mo or less. I have great credit.

I live in Memphis, Tennessee. The dealer here has no competitors.
    1) is this monthly payment possible?
    2) if possible, what do I need to challenge them on? (right now they are quoting $575/mo) - price, money factor, all above?

Is a longer term lease the option?
    if they won't negotiate, and if you think this payment (or a lower one) is possible what should I do as a next step? Look in neighboring states?

What about the BMW select finance option (low payment but balloon at the end)?

Cheers :confuse:
    A recent update to my message:

I can't get their numbers to work.

MSRP - $38,000
    Selling Price - $35,720 (the 6% they claim that is all they can remove out of the price)
    Money factor - "295". Waiting for them to clarify if this is .00295 or 2.95%
    Residual - 40%
    lease term 60 months

The price they state is $646 per month. When I run this in lease calculators I get a sub-$500 number. I'm sure there are bank fees, etc they aren't telling me about and I am looking for some insight as to what they are liable to come back with.

Also, how is it they can't 'get below $646' but Volvo can offer a C70 for the same term length, $42000 MSRP, $36000 Selling Price for $525?

I like both cars but the BMW is a little more sporty and may suit me a little more.

What am I missing? What do I need to ask them? Are the numbers above correct? Where can I challenge them to drive more out of the price?

One final note, when I built this car at bmw usa online, they have an option BMW Select that returns a payment of $496. But the dealer says over $700. Seems a bit like false advertising.

As mentioned above I'm in Memphis (tax is 9.25%). Should I look outside the city? State?

Can someone please help?
  • fivewheelerfivewheeler Member Posts: 1
    hey did you lease a 1 series yet?
    I didn't lease the i128 but I did get the car through the BMW Select program using BMW FS.

The banks for BMW and Volvo made leasing really unattractive. Low residuals and lots of up front fees drove the price up and dealers can only take so much out.

The BMW Select program gives a payment like a lease, but at the end you have to either pay the balloon (residual) or finance the balloon so it's a gamble if the car is not good at retaining value, but leases are too. At least in this option, you are buying the car and the rates were much better. Plus they are paying the first two months. And it came with 4 years maintenance.

I was able to build my own car online at bmwusa.com and get to different price points which returned the payment. It made a big difference because the dealers had no choice but to get there. Apparently the online site doesn't put in a lot of dealer markup so it gives you some leverage.

In the end they make money I got the car at the price I was willing to pay. Econ at work.
  • agniagni Member Posts: 4
    what is the current residual, money factor for 36months/10k miles? location is NJ.
    .00260 and 60%*

*Numbers curtesy of Leasecompare via bimmerfest.com

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks. MF becomes a bit less for returning BMW customers right? is it less than .00260 or the same for everyone?
    I'm not really sure. Seems to be some confusion around that subject as we speak. I believe the rates posted are for returning leasees, which are available to everyone as long as non-returning leasees pay a security deposit.

If you are a returning leasee, I believe there may be some loyalty cash available.
    You can try reading this

• aramismaramism Member Posts: 28
    well the lease rates for 135i conv/coupe are around 260-280 which is pretty high.

they have strong residuals (50% +) on 36 month standard leases and i've been checking on a forum and the last 4 months have seen high 260-280 lease rates on this car...

all in all even with nothing out of pocket except bank, sec, first, and taxes rolled into payment you are taling 650+ on a loaded 135 convertible which is crazy for a sub 50k car car.

any info on 3rd party MF for this car??? if the money factor was more appealing it would be worth it. i'd rather wait till either the MF comes down or another car piques my interest since money is very cheap now and 6.5% interest rate on a lease is highway robbery in my book. this is by no means an "exotic" car or something special like an s5 or r8 that dictates such a high money factor.
    128 coupe, auto, heated front, IPOD
    MSRP 32450
    selling 30450
    $437/month inlcuding tax for 10K 36 months
    zero down
    is this a good deal?
  • jack1784jack1784 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    What is the current residual, money factor for 36months/10k miles? location is CA
    for:

128i Coupe

135i Coupe

Thanks!
    see the link in post 40

• jack1784jack1784 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you!
    Jason, here's the answer to the 1-Series question that you posted over in the 3-Series discussion.

BMW Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 128i Convertible with 10,000 miles per year are .00225 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • gardencar1gardencar1 Member Posts: 8
    You are out of your mind if you think the 135i is too ugly or too rough. It is one of the best looking convertibles out there! As far as comparing it to the 335i, they are apples and oranges. If you need more passenger space, get the 335. If you just need a rush and have no need for space, get the 135. In fact, with the top down, the 135i has an edge in usable trunk space.

I drove both and although both are beautiful, I chose the 135i because it was faster, better handling, nine inches shorter and better looking, IMO.

The reason it may not be selling as well in certain areas, is because it definitely is a luxury item. In this economy, many people are looking to be practical and cannot or will not consider a fun, weekend car.

By the way, I have met some sleazebag salesmen. However, many of the sales people I've dealt with are actually quite decent and helpful. You need to do your research and be knowledgeable about the vehicle you are intending to buy. Don't expect the salesperson to feed you unbiased information. After all, they need to make a living, too.
  • cc12359cc12359 Member Posts: 31
    Can anyone tell me the buy rate to lease 135i convertible this month?
    Any incentives from BMW to the dealer?
    I was quoted:
    MSRP: 50778
    Cap: unknown
    MF: .0025
    drive off 3800
    36 months 30,000 miles total
    608+ tax
    sounds pretty high to me.
    Please help
    Hi cc12359. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 135i Convertible with 10,000 miles per year are .00250 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • caren1caren1 Member Posts: 13
    Car_Man (or any helpful opinions)

I am getting ready to lease a 2009 128 convertible. I am aware of the $750 cash incentive for the lease. Are there any other incentives I should be looking for? Is invoice an appropriate price at the current time? I have not seen many postings about this car, so any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Hi caren1. BMW's June incentives for the 2009 128i Convertible are fairly similar to what they were in June. The $750 is still there and its money factors / residual values are exactly the same.

As far as how much you should pay for this car goes, I am not intimately familiar with what the market is like for it right now. You may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay by visiting the "BMW 1-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion.

Car_man
    Host
  • klynch06klynch06 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I just left a BWW dealership in Boston. I was trying to lease a 128i convertible with automatic, heated seats and iPod. MSRP $37,025, Sale price, $34,750 they wanted $3,880 down (cap cost reduction) plus all fees, (PDI, Training, MACO) and taxes, he said my cost would be $330 a month plus taxes with 10k miles a year. I know you guys say never to pay cap costs and I really wanted 15k miles a year. He would not give me residual. or MF so I just left. Can you tell me what I should be paying a month without the capital cost reduction? I have also read on here there where security deposits I can pay to lower the monthly payment instead of a capital cost reduction, do you recommend that?

Thanks so much,
    Keith