Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• jasonshaverjasonshaver Member Posts: 9
    After reviewing some information, I left a BMW dealership with some numbers that I wanted to run by someone to see if it sounded right. Below is the information.

MSRP 34475 (128i metallic paint and premium pkg only)
    purchase price 33440
    aquisition fee 925
    Residual 59% at 36 months for 12K yr
    money factor .00255
    Lease Rebate Cash 750
    Trade in value(paid for) 4500
    NC tax 3%

And the dealer quoted me 410.xx a month, using only the 4500 down with the first payment included in that, no other out of pocket. Does that sound right? Any input greated appreciated!
  • tristingtristing Member Posts: 1
    assume your 33440 is before all those listed below (acq, rebate, tax), then the 410 monthly pmt is about right.. I did a quick cal, and got 400.xx
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Keith. I would be happy to use BMW's new lease program to calculate a sample lease payment on this car for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 BMW 128i Convertible that has an MSRP $37,025 and a selling price of $34,750 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $486.

If you have extra money laying around, using it to make multiple security deposits is a better way to reduce your car's monthly payment than making a capitalized cost reduction. BMW FS allows consumers to make up to seven additional deposits on leases, with each one reducing the money factor that is used to calculate their monthly payment by .00007.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • klynch06klynch06 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for the response, can you tell me the MF and residual's for July on a 128i convertible and if they are still offering any incentives. There was a $750 lease incentive for June I am not sure if is still available.

Thanks!
    Keith
  • klynch06klynch06 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

Based on a 3yr 45K miles lease again, Thanks! :)
    You're welcome Keith. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 128i Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 59%, respectively. The $750 cash incentive that you mentioned is still available on this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • luxcil66luxcil66 Member Posts: 2
    Hi CarMan,
    What is the October MF and Residual for 2009 BMW 128i Coupe, 36 months, 10K per year?
    I am in New Jersey and looking to lease the car.

Thank you,
    Here's the information that you're looking for, luxcil66. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 128i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00200 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • pj94zpj94z Member Posts: 7
    is this a good deal?

'09 135i Coupe+ sport +prem pkg (car has 135 miles, new but...i guess demo miles?)
    $0 cap cost reduction
    $0 sec deposit
    $500 due at signing
    12,000 mi/year

$626/mo. including taxes. Using 0 money down option.

MSRP: 45,000 They sell to me for: 41,000

This 2009 BMW 135i Coupe is Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Savanna Beige Boston Leather, LIght Burl Walnut Trim, and a Black Soft Top. Options include the Steptronic Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Sport Package, Heated Front Seats, Satellite Radio, and iPod & USB Adapter!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    and a Black Soft Top

Is it a coupe or a convertible?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pj94zpj94z Member Posts: 7
    It is a COUPE

that must be an error in their ad
  • krwest1krwest1 Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone know the current MF and residual for a 2009 128i coupe? Also, any additional incentives, trunk money, etc. other than the $1500 holiday cash?
  • lornajlornaj Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted: $2,150 down, $399/mo. including taxes, destination, etc. @36 mo. @10k mi/yr.
    What do you think? They said the MF was .0002 :D
    That seems incredibly cheap... Is it $2150 due at signing? Or $2150 down, plus 1st payment, acquistion fee, document fee, etc, etc, etc.. ?

Also.. What is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lornajlornaj Member Posts: 6
    I actually got it for less than that! They REALLY bent over backwards for me. MSRP was $37,500 and my down includes 1st month, acquistion, etc. Riverside BMW, in So. Cal. Maybe it's because I have red hair? :confuse:
    Hi krwest1. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 128i Coupe with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 53%, respectively.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it. That's the only cash out there that I am aware of.

Car_man
    Host
  • ams_7ams_7 Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys, so I am about to graduate law school and as a gift to myself after 3 hard years of school I want to get the 128i Convertible. I am not going to be getting it until next summer but I just wanted to get an idea of what kind of a deal I can expect. I live in NJ btw.
    Anyway, BMW is having lease deal for $369 /month plus $4, 494 due at signing for a an MSRP of $39,900 and 10,000 miles a year for three years.
    The BMW with the options i want is $36245 (and that is without any negotiating). However I need 15,000 miles a year. Obviously the quoted price is without taxes registration etc...
    Taking all that into consideration, do you think the monthly payment would go up because of my change in mileage or would it be offset by the 3,000 or so difference in price. And how much money should I expect for taxes, registration and fees??

Besides this question, that down payment is a little high, I was hoping of paying close to $3000 instead....how much would the lease payment be a month with a down payment close to that? (examples of what you guys are paying would be really helpful)

Thanks a lot in advance :)
  • leeshuckleeshuck Member Posts: 73
    Hi car_man, kydfx et al,

I am in the process of ordering a 2010 135i Convertible to lease for 36 mos 12-15k miles/yr.

One dealer said they could apply the $1500 holiday money to the costs (Acquisition fee, license, etc.) rather than reducing the capitalized cost. I know that reducing the capitalized cost has been discouraged due to issues if the car is totaled or possibly stolen and not recovered (you don't get the cap cost reduction back?).

Does it make more sense to apply the Holiday money to the up front costs/fee?

Here is one of the quotes I've received - this one applies the Holiday money to the cap cost and there is a corresponding tax on the cap reduction:

15k miles/yr, 36 mos
    .00225 Money Factor

47,025.00 MSRP
    27,744.75 Residual Value 59%

44,330 Negotiated price
    ($500 over invoice - invoice price includes 380 MACO + 180 training as I understand it - Southern California dealer)

1,500.00 Cap Reduction (Holiday money)
    42,830.00 Adjusted Cap Cost
    131.25 Tax on Cap Reduction 8.75%

3,149.26 Customer Cash Down (Includes 1500 Holiday money as I understand it)
    I need to ask how this is derived since I can't get the numbers to add up.

700.00 Security Deposit

577.82 Base monthly rental
    50.56 8.75% Sales Tax
    628.38 Monthly Payment

978.75 Up front/Acquisition Fee (BMW 775 + 150 markup, Doc fee, California tire fee)
    597.00 License Fee

If I apply the Holiday money to costs and fees, the monthly payment goes up to 677.37 but I have less money out of pocket.

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Happy Holidays,

Lee
    It really doesn't matter where the $1500 is applied, the result is the same..

The whole idea is to walk out with the minimum out-of-pocket.. On my last lease, that was 1st payment plus $114 in state/local licensing fees (no security deposit).

In your case, if it were me, I'd pay 1st payment and security deposit upfront... That will be around $1400.... Add the rest of it up (selling price, acq.fee, license fees), add it to the cap cost, and have them figure the payment on that...

According to your numbers, the $3149 is actually coming out of your pocket at lease signing.. The $1500 was already deducted from the CAP cost, so you would have to come up with that whole amount... That is too much, IMO.

Only paying $1400 upfront will raise your payment by $55-$60 per month, but that's better than putting that mone out there... Or, you can have the dealer do as he proposes... It is much the same... Use the $1500 to pay directly against the $3149, instead of reducing the CAP cost.. That will leave $1600-$1700 for you to pay upfront, instead of the $3149 (increasing the payment, naturally)..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• leeshuckleeshuck Member Posts: 73
    Thanks for the speedy reply kydfx.

I could do also do this with no security deposit, but the money factor then goes to .00240

Lee
    Yeah.. it's a better deal to make the security deposit, rather than pay the increased money factor.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    Any thoughts on BMW's $339-a-month national deal for the 128i (MSRP $35,550 with premium package)? This is a 36 month lease with a $1,500 credit. Attractive monthly payment for a BMW, but a big upfront outlay. :surprise:

• $339 First months payment
    • $2,800 Down payment
    • $350 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $4,214 Cash due at signing
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    That's the national lease deal with Premium and Auto. I'd do this deal and wait till the 4 cylinder diesel 1-series come in and just have the dealer do some kind of swap.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    I guess I should add that lease is for 10k miles a year only. If you need more, you will pay extra. On the other hand, you can always negotiate lower than a national lease deal.
  • ams_7ams_7 Member Posts: 10
    I was wondering where did you see this deal? (what state), where I am, the deal is very similar, but the payments are 379/month.....was that something you negotiated?
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    It was the national deal here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOffers.aspx

I don't see it there anymore, with exactly those terms.
  • lionmilklionmilk Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2010
    Dear Car_man and kyfdx,

I just got a quote to build-to-order (6 weeks waiting time) lease deal for this model:

2011 128i Coupe

STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Heated Front Seats
    Xenon Headlamps
    Metallic Paint
    Tax rate is %7.75

Dealer quoted for MSRP (which is $36000) and gave me these info: MF is 0.002 and residual is %64 ( $23040) for 10k/yr for 3 year

$440.85/mo with only $2190.41 due at signing. This amount due at signing represents no money down, only first months payment, security deposit, fees and upfront taxes...

I have a 5% off from work for that dealer, which he did not include right now... I will make him include that... I also did not want to put any money down...

What do you think of this deal, what should I do next to lower this? MF of 0.002 is a little bit high I believe, is there any way to lower that? There seems like no other incentive available for this model and there are no 2010's left in the lot unfortunately...
    edited June 2010
    Actually the dealer says they have given %6.625 discount for me on the car. So MSRP is $36.000 and negotiated price is $33.615. He gave me this detailed info (in addition to my first message, Message #79"):

The $2190.41 due at signing includes the following breakdown:

440.85 - First Payment
    450.00 - Security Deposit
    250.00 - Documentation Fee
    925.00 - Acquisition Fee
    33.50 - Title/Registration Fee
    91.06 - Upfront Taxes
    2190.41 Due at signing

What do you guys think of it?
    Hi lionmilk. The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks attractive to me. The dealer invoice of the car that you described is $33,185. That puts the $33,615 selling price that you were quoted at $430 over invoice.

The money factor hat you mentioned, .00200 is right in line with BMW Financial Services' buy rate for this model. This is the lowest possible money factor that BMW dealers are allowed to charge on this car right now.

If you like this vehicle, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    edited June 2010
    Anybody know the "July 2010" lease rates for 2011 BMW 128 coupe for 3 10K/y years? I mean MF and residuals...

Additionally, I received this e-mail from the dealer stating they are under invoice pricing right now, saying: "As for invoice pricing, I am telling you the truth when I say that $33,614 is $1 below invoice on this car. All of the BMW dealers in northeast Ohio share a advertising budget that gets allocated to all of the cars in the region. This cost per car is the $430 difference you see. This money goes right toward the network of BMW dealers. $33,614 is truly $1 below my cost on the car."

ALSO, he said: "You are correct in stating that the acquisition fee is $725.00 I have mine at $925 because I have to show some profit to the dealership on the sale. We are below invoice pricing on the 128i for you because you are both an employee of (hidden) and also a loyal customer of (hidden). The extra $200.00 on the Acq. Fee is the only profit on the car."

The car he is talking about is a $36000 MSRP, which has the invoice of $33185 as Car_man indicated in #81. So, do you think the dealer says the truth? As long as we are OK on selling price, can he jack up the Acq Fee?
    July rates aren't out yet...

The dealer can jack up the Acq.fee....most of them do, and the max is $200.

He is probably telling the truth about the advertising fee, as well.. BMW calls it MACO.

Once you get the base rates for July, beware of money factor markups... The maximum markup is .0004, and most dealers take it... That's around $30/mo. more, if they take max markup..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Anyone who is familiar with BMW Financial Services knows that since the beginning of time it has used a pass / fail system for its lease approval process. Either consumers qualified for its best available rates or they could not lease through BMW FS at all...and your credit had to be pretty messed up for the latter to happen.

Yesterday BMW announced that BMW FS is introducing a tiered system for its lease program. Its rates now vary by credit tier, with the people with the best credit scores getting slightly better rates than what was available last month and much higher money factors for people with low credit scores.

I should be able to get the full details of this new program some time today. Please feel free to post your questions about it here and I'll gladly fill you in on what I am able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    Did you get this info yet? i am trying to do a deal now on a 135 convertible or an X5 and this info would be very helpful. Thanks. Have a great 4th of July
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    Car Man,

I am closing a deal on a 2010 135 convertible with a sport pkg. I have a couple of questions that perhaps you know the answer to..

1)The BMW Tire & Wheel Protection program. I was quoted $1289 for 60 m0nths. This is very high imo and I was wondering if you knew the actual dealer cost & m/u on this.

2) this car has the standard HD radio setup but I would like to flip it out for a Sirius satellite radio. I was told $1415 which is also very high as it is only a $350 factory option. Any suggestions?

thanks
    I certainly did, kabbalah. Wow you're trying to decide between a 135i Convertible and an X5. There's a huge difference between the two. Here's the latest info for you.

BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 135i Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are .00150 and 56%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 X5 3.0i are .00180 and 47%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Ahhhh, kabbalah, I see that you went with the convertible. I don't know how much it costs the dealer, but I personally would pass on the tire and wheel protection anyhow.

Wow nearly fifteen hundred bucks to swap out a regular radio for satellite. Ouch. Have you tried to find a unit in stock that had satellite radio installed at the factory at this or a different dealer? $350 is a reasonable price, but $1,415 is nuts.

Car_man
    Host
  • bg516bg516 Member Posts: 15
    I picked up a 2010 factory 135 convertible demo with about 1100 out the door, and i saved the 350 disposal fee on my 2007 x3 and the last month payment of 450 so i looked at the 1100 check i wrote as really about 300 0ut the door. now what did i get, a 48000 msrp car with 13000 mileson it with a cap cost of 37995 with a monthly of about 451 plus tax or about 482 total. this is for 36 months and 10 miles per year, oh yea, that drive off included the first month.
    was this a great deal, yes and no, things being the way they are, i could have picked up the 2011 model at about 4800 list for about 485 plus tax or about 519 with a drive off of about 4500 to 5000, but what is the difference, a new double clutch and a single turbo. drove both, if i was buying i would have got the 2011, but on a lease, so what. i got the free service the full warranty for the total lease and a like new car from the bmw distributor through a big city dealer.
    barry
  • nypaymannypayman Member Posts: 12
    anyone know the current MF & Residual %

on a 128convertible 36 month lease10 miles, thank-you!
  • mistahgrimmmistahgrimm Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I'd like to get an opinion on these two lease deals. I live in Chicago IL, so taxes are included. Thanks in advance!

Config #1 Loaded

2011 128i
    Manual 6-speed
    Space Gray Metallic
    Value Package
    Premium Package
    Convenience Package
    Heated Steering Wheel

Traditional $512/mo
    Euro Delivery $445/mo
    Rate is 5.5%
    Net cap cost $31,150
    Taxes are $2800
    Title fee $25
    Document fee $154.38
    New plates $194

Config #2 Bare bones

2011 128i
    Manual 6-speed
    Space Gray Metallic
    Value Package
    Heated Steering Wheel

Traditional $451/mo
    Euro Delivery $385/mo
    Rate is 5.5%
    Net cap cost $27,200
    Taxes are $2475
    Title fee $25
    Document fee $154.38
    New plates $194
  • fess_bfess_b Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'd like to invest in a 128i convertable 2010 or 2011, but want to lease with option to buy at the end of the term. Or should I just finance?

If I lease, payment will be lower, and I can buy the car at residual value?

I don't know which route to go?

Advise me on some options please,
    Thank U
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    One thing I always wondered about euro delivered and leasing - does the lease start when you pick up the car in Europe? Do they suspend the lease while you are waiting the 6 weeks or so for the car to arrive back in states?

In general, no matter if you lease or buy - will the dealer provide you with a loaner while waiting for delivery here? Do you have another vehicle you can drive or will you have to rent a car (assuming the dealer does not provide one) while waiting?

Does anyone know if you can have someone else (say a family member) pick up your euro delivery for you? My daughter travels to Europe quite a bit and could combine one of her trips with a side trip to pick up a car for me, if allowed, for not much extra money...

Just stuff I wondered about when looking at euro delivery.
    The lease starts when you take delivery in Europe.. BMWFS picks up the 2nd payment of the ED lease, but the money factor for leasing is .0003 higher for ED, so that isn't really a bonus..

No car provided while you are waiting for re-delivery..

Your daughter can't take delivery of your car, unless she is a co-lessee.. no exceptions..

You can still save some money on an ED lease, but it makes more sense for a straight purchase.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The 2011 128i convertible money factor is .00210, which is 5.04% effective and you have to pay the BMW lease acquisition fee.

If you buy, BMW will finance it for 0.9 to 1.9% - at least for the 2011 model, they don't show the cheap money for the 2010 left overs (but Edmunds does). The 2010 should also have $1,500 in dealer money to further reduce the price. The 2011 has the free value package (leather seats and ipod) for the same price, so depending on what you find left over you may prefer to forgo the discount pricing and get the 2011 - since the net price could be close to the same.

If your goal is to own the car and you can afford the payments, no brainer choice to buy it now with cheap money - and I am a big lease fan.
  • rkdiddyrkdiddy Member Posts: 45
    I would love some feedback on the following lease:

2011 BMW 135i
    White w/ Black Leather
    DCT
    Convienence Package
    Cold Weather
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Satellite Radio
    HK Sound

Selling Price: $42,200
    Lease Factor: .00185
    12k miles
    $2k down

24-month lease: $577 (including tax)
    36-month lease: $645 (including tax)

Please let me know, thanks in advance!
    0.00170 is the top tier buy rate on the money factor, assuming you have good credit the dealer has jacked it up 0.36% on you.

Edmunds shows MSRP as $44,525 and invoice as $40,960 so you price is about in the middle - which seems to be typical these days.

You need to run the lease numbers for yourself to see if the dealer is hiding anything in the lease. We have no idea where you are or what your taxes are like so can't tell much else about your deal from what you state.

Remember there is a $750 or so acquisition fee on the lease plus any dealer doc or prep fees and TTL plus taxes.

I think you have your 24 and 36 month numbers backwards...
  • emiamiemiami Member Posts: 2
    Hello car_man,
    I was highly refered to this forum by a friend, and i'm looking for an answer to help me negociate with the dealer on a new lease.

What is the best money factor and residual value on a new 2011 128i lease, base model with no options, 10k miles / year for 36 months?

I appreciate in advance! :)

eMiami
    The 128 coupe MF is 0.00180 (convertible is 0.00210) - this is for top tier and is the buy rate. BMW dealers almost always mark the rate up for extra profit. They usually mark up the acquisition fee as well.

The residual is set by BMWFS and can't be changed by the dealer, so whatever they use has to be the right number or the lease will not fund. Looks like it is 64% on a 10k lease (a whopping 68% for the convertible).

Negotiate the selling price of the car first - most folks seem to be getting about half way between invoice and MSRP - then worry about the lease numbers. Learn how to figure a lease payment as well and always run the numbers yourself based on your negotiated selling price.
  • rkdiddyrkdiddy Member Posts: 45
    Thank you for the information.

You're correct, the 24 month and 36 month monthly payments were reversed.

I'm located in Orange County, CA.

Thanks again!
    Hi nypayman. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 128i Convertible with 10,000 miles per year are .00215 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome eMiami. I'm glad that you've heard good things about this forum. Here's the information that you're looking for.

BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 128i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00180 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host