Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• ajivoinajivoin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for posting this info! Just what I've been searching for.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks......it looks like the interior is the same as what's in production on the current model.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    what is the fuel requirements on a 2004 SR5 (V-6), or at least what the manual says?

thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, I was just pointing out that they chose to make a component LESS durable to enhance on-road dynamics.

Offroaders know which trucks they like. Since the 2003 makeover, 4Runner has dropped off that list.

I don't really get the speed race among SUVs. These are high, heavy vehicles which are inherently less safe at high speeds than low-slung, sporty cars like that Trans Am you mentioned. My truck is strong in low gears and will climb almost anything. It doesn't matter to me that I can't race Corvettes at stoplights in it.

What does strike me about the current 4Runner is that 15 years later, it is rated exactly the same as mine was for fuel economy (15/19).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I believe most of the "performance cars" have rack and pinion steering, Lexus GS, BMW, MBenz, Infiniti, etc...I have not checked each brand, but hi-perf cars do not usually use recirculating ball, IMO...
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Marsha:

My 2000 BMW 540 has Recirc ball and apparently that was due to space constraints. The 2003 BMW has R & P and is better according to some testers. I really enjoy the steering feel on my 2005 4Runner and its turning circle. In fact the turning circle is a great selling point to me although I have also noticed the "clunk" at full right hand lock. My wifes 2004 Sienna is also great.
  • gf4runnergf4runner Member Posts: 2
    Hi, all

My girlfriend has a 1994 4Runner. She is experiencing the following problem:
    Occaisionally, a clunk is heard from underneath the truck towards the front. The clunk is followed by very hard shuddering, the entire truck lurches loud and hard. It feels sort of like something is locking up and the truck becomes difficult to drive. If she switches to 4-wheel drive, the problem goes away (it never happens in 4Wheel drive). We thought it was the ABS, so we disconnected that, but no luck.

Any ideas would be most helpful.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    My guess is the automatic locking hubs. In any event, I'd check this out and not drive the truck until then.
  • gf4runnergf4runner Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!

WIll look into it.

Some of the research I did said that the 85-89 locking hubs were problematic. Is this also true of the later models, i.e. the '94?

Thanks again.
    I have no info about the 94 model, but you're right about the 85-89. I have an 88 4Runner and had to replace the automatics with manual hubs. The 86 I owned before that also had automatic hub problems.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Regular fuel is what the owner's manual says the V6 requires. They do have a little caveat that says burning premium yields better performance, however.

I just run regular. Get about 19-20 MPG all city driving and feel I've got plenty of power.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    On the 05 4Runner brochure and manual it states that there is a taillamp bulb failure warning light although I have not seen this in the dash cluster warning lights or when I turn on the ignition. Has anyone seen this?
  • tt18cabriott18cabrio Member Posts: 1
    If this is posted in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll go there.....
    Have an '02 Passat wagon that is GREAT. Also have an F150 and my wife has a '98 VW Cabrio. Going to replace Passat as my work vehicle (25k miles a year) and need "another" vehicle that can tow up to 5000. I really like the 4Runner fit, finish, handling, and the 6 is plenty of power for me. I am not lead foot......what is or where can I find what most people are getting on the '05's for "combined" driving. I'll be going from 93 Octane to 87 so there is a bit of a savings but the mpg will certainly be less. Thanks for your help. Oh, V6 4x4 Sport.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may also want to look at SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate.

tidester, host
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    So this is weird. I was doing a search for any information on the 2006 and came around an article about changes being made. It talked about a new grille, new rear bumper as well as some other changes. It even indicated a center console change to accomodate portable music players like an iPod. So I opened up these forums looking to post a link for you guys, but when I did the same search, the article was nowhere to be found. But, if this article is in fact true, there will be significant changes to the '06, inside and out.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Thanks for posting that article. I was not expecting changes that extensive.
  • ciparisciparis Member Posts: 1
    Oh goodness, that figures. The list of improvements precisely mirrors the list of things I wasn't happy with in my '05 Limited V8 4WD:
    - memory seats (and how about height adjustable passenger seat, please)
    - easy ipod integration
    - wind noise

I've got 2500 miles on mine and I'm already envious :) here's hoping the new style is ugly! /grin
    I'm hoping the new style is ultra sick. I can't wait to purchase the '06. I'm buying it in December. If anyone finds new information..keep it coming.
  • moultonmoulton Member Posts: 1
    This warning light applies only to Canadian vehicles.

Jim
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    My son's Toyota 4Runner. Too bad they rust through so fast. Otherwise it is an OK vehicle. If you plan to keep a vehicle more than 8 years don't buy a Toyota.

• beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I had a 1994 4-runner for over 9.5 years until I traded it in on a 2003 4-runner. I did not have any rust problems with my '94.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    All four corners of my son's 1996 4Runner look alike. I thought that Toyota had addressed their horrible rust problems a long time ago. This vehicle has spent it's life in Alaska. I don't consider that an excuse. If they had a rust through warranty as good as other manufacturers, he would get a new body for his rust bucket.
  • jstonejstone Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any pictures of the 06 model ? Wondering how different the new Grill and the exterior look will be. Should I wait or go with the 05 model. Need to decide very soon. Thanks
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I just noticed something while driving my 4runner at highway speeds. When you roll down the passenger windows one or both, you get an unbearable wind noise that actually hurts your ears. Do you folks find the similar problem with passenger windows down? Is it just a design flaw or something else wrong?
    Thank you for your feed back.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's the so-called "helicopter effect" and it is more prounounced in some vehicles than in others. Here's a short explanation of the effect: tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 4 Jan 2003 1:19 am

tidester, host
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    oh well--so much for enjoying a nice day. Thanks for the info. I guess time to turn up the AC.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I have an '03 4Runner Limited with moon-roof, and I can tell you that the noise you describe, when the side windows are partially or fully open, is often eliminated simply by completely opening the moon-roof. (Whatever you do, don't open the tailgate glass while driving, because while this will also eliminate the air-pressure waves you describe, it will often result in exhaust fumes getting into the cabin.)
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Just crack open any one of the other windows or the moonroof to eliminate the problem.

Ken
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    "Just crack open any one of the other windows or the moonroof to eliminate the problem."

Just a thought: I've found that partly opening the passenger side windows will decrease the pressure waves somewhat, but this doesn't seem to eliminate the noise as effectively as opening the moon-roof.
  • grizzleegrizzlee Member Posts: 4
    It can give an hint to look at the Toyota.jp web site and find your way to the Hilux Surf vehicle.

Headlights have changed a bit
    Over fenders are now round....
    The back has change a bit but not much..

Maybe it is because it is the japanese version of the vehicle but these changes seems to give the 4Runner a softer look. As much as I did not like the squarish overfenders I have to admit they help to give a more aggressive look to the 4Runner.

I think that Toyota is backing out a bit from the aggressive stance they gave to the 4Runner.

To some extent I think those changes make the 4Runner look a bit more like the pre-2003 4Runner and the pre-2005 Pathfinder (smoother curves, a bit more conservative).
  • rx10rx10 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like the new 4Runner comes with HID with maual adjustment..

image">
    image"
  • maurice_shmaurice_sh Member Posts: 1
    i was supposed to buy 4runner last month, but when i heard of the upcoming 2006, and saw pictures, i decided to wait for a while. does anyone here knows when 2006 will hit the showroom? tnx
  • rx10rx10 Member Posts: 3
    Sep 05 I believe, but don't expect any discount ;-)
    Where did you see pictures of the 06 model ? The one on this forum is a concept vehicle from toyota.jp? Just curious bcos I plan on buying soon and debating 05 or 06 model.
    These are not pictures from a concept vehicle. It is the Helix Surf from Japan. Its version is very similar to the north american 4Runner.

If you look at it closely you can easily identify the changes that were listed in the Toyota press release.

On the outside, to me, only the rounder overfenders is a significant change. The front grill is pretty much 1999 ish... It reminds me a lot of my 1999 SR5 front grill.

I do not think that these changes should stop you from considering the interesting rebates Toyota have these days. It is not like a complete model overhaul.
    Hey,
    Since people have started to talk discounts and such, I'm planning on buying an '06 4runner in December. Anyone know what kind of deals or lack thereof I can expect?
    Does anyone know or have installed the cd changer ? 05 sport only comes with single cd. Not sure if the changer offered by toyota plays mps cds as well. Or If any after market ones are compatible with the existing system.
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    IMHO - I dont think the changes for 2006 outweigh the current incentives on the 2005 models.

I bought an 05 last month in July, and when I heard about the upcoming changes for 2006, i was a bit bummed. Yes, I was unhappy with the 2005 instrumentation clusters for the AC, the fenders are a bit ugly, and the bumpers seem lame. However, I dont think the changes for 2006 are all that drastic nor worth the extra $$$ by buying without an incentive. In So Cal they are offering $2500 back on the V8's - which actually makes them cheaper than the V6's. When I got mine last month, they were only offering $1500.

I suppose you could wait until some 2006's show up at the dealers to verify the pics posted are accurate for the US market. Keep in mind though that selection will be a bit limited - though probably not horrible.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    I hardly think 8 years in Alaska equates to a generalization that Toyotas rust through easily. Myself and others have had Toyotas for more than 10 years with no problems. I would suggest in the future, if you have paint chips on the fenders (probably from off-road use gauging from the lift and tires), to either repaint or seal the areas and protect them in the future. Holes in the body don't appear overnight--I'm sure there were plenty of warning signs: chips, salt on roads, rust spots and staining, etc before the holes appeared. I don't think Toyota should be responsible for improper maintenance--its one thing to complain about rust spots early, but don't wait until there are holes.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    Buy on December 31th. Dealers give out bonuses at the end of the month and end of the year, so salesmen really want to make a sale on that day. Also, most people aren't shopping for cars (and houses) during the holidays.
    I think you would need a crystal ball for that. If oil hits $75/barrel (it hit $66 today) then you probably could expect quite a discount. The changes don't impress me that much, although the power seat (drivers) in the SE would be nice to have in that the front seat in many 4th generation 4Runners rattle and Toyota is not able or willing to fix them. I don't believe there are any important "mechanical changes" in the 06 model. I'd look for a deal on the 2005. The savings may allow you to feel better buying a truck that averages 17 mpg when gas is $3.00/gal .
  • soldier2soldier2 Member Posts: 1
    I contacted Toyota today, it seems that the 2006 4Runner will hit dealer lots in September 2005, here in New England. I am waiting to buy the 2006 V8 Sport Edition, it also appears that Toyota may limit the quantity of V8s on the lots, because of rising fuel costs.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "However, I dont think the changes for 2006 are all that drastic nor worth the extra $$$ by buying without an incentive..."

I think one is better off to go with the 2006. First of all, there will most likely be a least some incentive a few months into the model year. Let's say $500 for example. Next, the 2005 is now one year old, figure another $1000-$1500 blue book value between a "new" '05 and new '06.

The major 2006 improvements listed below are easily worth $1,000, if not the entire $2500 difference if that were the case, especially if you are getting the Limited:

Memory seats (awesome feature)
    Mini-plug for external audio devices in center console (saves a LOT of hassle!)
    Thicker windows for reduced wind noise
    18" wheels
    Much nicer looking fender flares
    Projector headlamps
    Satellite radio and WMA/MP3 capability
    Bluetooth capability & improved Navigation functions
  • rusigxrusigx Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I am experiencing a similar problem. I have a 2000 4Runner with about 80k on it. It has been using a quart of oil about every 200 or so miles. It smokes really bad sometimes on startup but I cant see any smoke going down the road. I took it to a friend who is a mechanic and we took all the plugs out and did a compression test on each cylinder and all where fine. We examined the plugs and all of those looked fine also. We looked into the air intake on the fuel injection and noticed oil laying in the air tube/injection area. We decided to replace the PCV valuve thinking that it could be bad and causing the intake to suck oil up into the intake and causing the smoke. I havent had a chance to drive it any yet but my friend said he has cranked it several times now and no more smoke. Have you found out anything on the issues you are having? Im not sure this is actually going to fix mine.
  • shilophile5shilophile5 Member Posts: 1
    Pic of a crashed one, but a pic nonetheless.
    2006 4Runner?
    Though the top pic looks like a 2005 to me.
    I was planning on buying a 2005 this week, but I think I'll hold out until I get to see a 2006 in person. Any ideas when in Sept they'll be out?
    If you look at the same info for the 4Runner 2005 you'll see the same pictures...

I do not think it is the 2006. I think the Helix surf pictures are likely to be closer to the 2006 model than anything else (rounder fender flares, new grill, etc).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are we still beating the rusty Toyota horse? That pic looked like all my friend's older Subarus when I lived in Anchorage. I drove an '82 Tercel for 17 years up there and it only got some surface rust; never found a perforation. I'd wash it and hit it with some cheap spray paint every year or so. Maybe the 4Runner went clamming every summer.

Steve, Host
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Those pictures are not a 2006. NHTSA just carries over the results from year to year if there are no structural changes to a model.
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    Here are some pics of the new 2006 on the Japanese site. I like the grill and new headlights. Wish they would freshen up the center console though.

2006 4Runner