Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mountaineer Noises and Sounds

txbulltxbull Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Mercury
I have a '98 Mountaineer that has a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak. It is very noticeable when the engine is cold and quiets down after it warms up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• 600twin600twin Member Posts: 1
    I've had this isue with a few Ford trucks and it was a leaky exhaust manifold. As it warms up it expands, closing the gap and then running quieter. eventually it will need to be replaced if it is the same thing.
  • azamora1azamora1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96' mountaineer that recently starting to sound as if a hammer was hitting the driver side when accelerating! It is fine when I accelerate slowly, but sounds when I try to accelerate more. It seems to be right under my feet...Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • jmeejmee Member Posts: 1
    Every day now it seems that my 1998 Mountaineer moans and groans more and more and seems to be coming from the front end somewhere. Anyone have any idea what this is? I have replaced the shocks and it helped a little.
  • falkfamfalkfam Member Posts: 2
    I hope someone can help me out. I am new and have never posted before. To start out I recently took off and cleaned the idle air control valve, because my car is making a horrible groaning/gurgling loud sound, and also intermidently idling ruff. I thought it helped at first but now the sound is worse than ever. I am going to order a new iac, and put it on for this problem. In the process of trying to get this fixed my car has started making a clanking/tapping sound in what seems to be the bottom area of the engine. Only when the AC is running. Not when just the blower is on, but the actual AC has to be on for the noise to start. It is constant, and loud. I got under the car and it sounds loudest at the bottom/back area of the engine. When I turn off the AC it stops. I still hear that groaning sound although it is much worse when the ac is on also. Could it be a pulley, or belt? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
  • dcooke10dcooke10 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 does the same thing. I tightened all the exhaust manifold bolts and it continued. I replaced the egr tube and it quit. It is not a fast fix.
  • dcooke10dcooke10 Member Posts: 2
    if it is an AWD you might have a transfer case chain slipping. I had the same issue and it was the transfer case. Had to rebuild it. cost bout 250 for parts.
  • sclyattsclyatt Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Mountaineer with 4k miles makes a low volume beeping noise while driving. The noise seems to come from the instrument cluster. The beeping has no regular rhythm to it. It stops when the vehicle stops or it may stop on its own. It never does it while sitting still. It makes no difference if the A/C, radio, or any other accessories are on or off at the time. It also does not do it every time I drive it. It started this beeping soon after I bought the car. I am at a loss as to what the cause of it is. Because it does not do it every time I drive, it makes it very difficult to have the dealer trouble shoot the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • dagibs8dagibs8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer with built in Nav. with multi media and
    Bluetooth capability. Ther is a noise that the people you call hear. Can anyone
    tell me how to correct this problem?
  • zanymomzanymom Member Posts: 3
    About a month ago my Mountaineer started making a clunking in the front when stopping; thought it might be something to do with the brakes; had it checked, got new front pads, rotors; still had the noise. It continued for a couple more weeks; then they replaced both front hub/bearing assemblies & both front lower ball joints & put brand new tires on it. Just got it back yesterday & it's still making the noise & it's even worse now? It seems to make it when going at slow slow speed so not when applying brakes and then when coming to a stop & after you stop you can hear it clunk like 3 times. It's a V6 2006 AWD with about 64,000 miles on it. Help, the noise drives me crazy & it feels like something is going to fall apart.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Motor mounts? Could be letting the engine shift forward just a tad, and somthing is hitting like the crank pully? I had this problem on a Thunderbird once.
    I don't think that is what it is; checked all under the hood; all looks tight & running well; sounds good too. :( It's almost more like a click click click click when slowing down & stopping vs a clunking. It's so hard to describe but I can hear it & it is driving me crazy & doesn't sound very good to me. It doesn't make any noises when turning the wheels back & forth or doesn't seem to be when braking just when slowing to slow speed & coming to a stop then when stopped it does it like 3 more times.
    I've had 8 Explorers/Mountaineers including an 06, and you've got me stumped on that one.... Fraid I have no idea. It's AWD?
    By the way, visually inspecting your motor mounts with the hood up, means nothing. You have to have at least 2 people, one to watch the engine, and one to manage the brake and accelerator at the same time with it in gear, and look for the engine to move, and one to pull you out of the car after you run it through the garage door into the washing machine.
    Yes it's AWD but has the button you can lock it into 4WD when you want; I worry it's going to make it worse driving it like that but others say just drive it til something really goes wrong but it never made that noise before. :( And I LOVE the mountaineer!
    The thing is, until it gets bad enough to identify, or manifests itself, nothing really can be done. So I tend to agree - drive it. It will get worse, or it won't. If it doesn't, no worries, if it does, you'll soon know what it is. Like a wheel bearing. Sometimes hard to identify, but eventually, you can.

I'm sorry, you'd think after 8 of 'em, I'd have seen everything, but this noise is a whole new problem for me!
  • mellowyellow6mellowyellow6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. I recently had it in the shop for a noise in the front end that started once you hit 45 mph. It sounded like a bad hub. We had replaced several on our previous SUV, so we know what that noise means lol. The dealership replaced one of the hubs, I believe the passenger side. The noise is still there. It starts once you get up to 45 mph. I had my husband take it back. The mechanic said the hub is fine because it's tight, nothing is moving. He said Ford and Mercury SUVs are known for having noisey front ends. He said they eventually just get noisey, and there is nothing that can be done about it, because there really isn't a reason. I talked to another mechanic and he told me to take it back to the shop because it sounds lilke there is definitely something wrong and he's never heard of a vehicle having a noisey front end for no reason. Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't taken notice to if the sound changes or disappears when turning the wheel, and I can't drive it right now because it's at home, so unfortunately, I can't provide that information. :-(

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to get this taken care of! Thanks! :confuse:
  • luz5244luz5244 Member Posts: 2
    txbull said:
    I have a '98 Mountaineer that has a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak. It is very noticeable when the engine is cold and quiets down after it warms up. Does anyone else have this problem?

• luz5244luz5244 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2006 mercury mountaineer and I'm having the same problem. I've taken it back to the company's mechanic. And after almost 3 weeks. I got it back. And still makes the noise. Its more noticeable in the mornings when car is cold.. Then quotes down after a few minutes. But its still there. They mentioned something abt the manfold??? Idk.. So frustrated at this point. 
  • thehandymanthehandyman Member Posts: 5
    @luz5244 yes it is the manifold I would replace it shortly
  • thehandymanthehandyman Member Posts: 5
    If you'll notice some one else commented a response to the same thing
  • RyceRyce Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 mercury mountaineer and there is this thunking noise that happens every so often on the passenger side and i cannot pinpoint an action that will make the noise happen. It seem to cone from the rear passenger side. Anyone experienced this before?
  • maxclark11maxclark11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 mountaineer all wheel drive that has a constant noise on the left or left front side while driving. I can best describe it as a running gear noise, like what you might hear coming from a manual transmission or a rear differential. a soft gear noise. you can feel it slightly if you apply a slight pressure on the wheel but not if you standing still. I have replaced the transmission and both front wheel bearings and brakes. Any thoughts.
  • maxclark11maxclark11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Mountaineer that the right side HVAC sticks in full heat. I used to hear a scraping noise under the dashboard when I turned on the key and for a minute or so after but no longer hear it. I suspect a damper door motor to be stuck. This car has the automatic temperature control, not manual control. I have found instructions on replacing the motor on the drivers side, but not for replacing the passenger side. Is there a separate motor for the passenger side? Thanks
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    Yes, there is a right-hand blend door actuator. You will have to remove the lower panel on the passenger's side of the center console and lower the glove box for access.