Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

2»

Comments

• donfrederick1donfrederick1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, well, I have a 98 dodge Durango like everyone else here. Haha... Anyhow, my ac simply will not blow out cold air. Only hot air or the outside tempurature. The thing next to the big fan on my engine will cycle, I think it's called a compressor, it's by the pully belts. I also refilled the valve with freon and the pressures normal. I see no gauges that are on and I also notice no unusual noises. Help would be greatly appritiated.
    Thank you to all who help :)
  • dee64dee64 Member Posts: 8
    This sounds wierd but go to the passenger side under the glove box and feel the carpet. Try to lift the carpet and feel the padding underneath. Is it wet?
  • ronkeyronkey Member Posts: 11
    Replace the expansion valve in the front,this is where you get the cold air,this turns the liquid into gas,also,replace the dryer too,this will keep the moister out of the system.
  • jgrangojgrango Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 durango and over the past couple months the front ac has been cutting out, i have noticed that wiggling the wiring harness under the passenger side dash has helped kick it back on, but recently it has gone out for good. i have taken this harness off and behind the harness there is what looks like a small chip with a capacitor on it, does anyone know if this item is my issue and what this item is called?
  • tjmartintjmartin Member Posts: 1
    first let me say i am in Italy and brought my SUV over here when i got stationed here the ac went out got it charged went out a week later took it to a local mec and he went to charge it with dye included and said that the condenser under the dash was leaking due to when he went to charge it he smelled the coolant inside so i cant find anywhere that states that there is a condenser under the dash, i have a Chilton Repair Manual also no luck any ides?
    He probably meant the Evaporator Core
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    The A/C evaporator and the heater core are in the climate control plenum under the dash. Both are subject to leaks. If you change one it makes good sense to change both since you have to remove the dash to get the plenum out, a big job. It wouldn't surprise me if your heater core was leaking a little also.
  • summerloversummerlover Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Durango that was stolen and recovered - stereo was ripped out, windows broken, sat in the rain with windows open for a couple of weeks, after recovery, a/c would only blow on high and no cold air - only hot. Also on the side the window was broken, the window raises only intermittently - repair shop replaced control module so now the fan blows on all speeds,replaced passenger window control twice, they have run a circuit tracer for the passenger window but cannot get it to replicate not raising more than once or twice, freon levels are all good - prior to theft and vandalism a/c and all controls worked great! Of course insurance says it is all coincidence - that the evaporator and some valve just happened to go out at the exact time the car was stolen (also defroster randomly goes off and on now) Can all of this be connected in any way
    If the windows were all broken out (the windshield too?) then all bets are off - lots of water on the dash controls means trouble. I'm surprised that with that much damage an 02 wasn't a total loss.................I doubt if it's coincidence.
  • swanee_riverswanee_river Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    In my 1998 durango my fuel gauge is being spastic. If I fill the tank, the gauge will drop to below empty and chime that it is low on fuel. A few seconds later it reads full. A few seconds later it drops to below empty and chimes again. This cycle continues until I am down 1/3 of a tank. Where do I even begin looking for a solution?
    edited September 2010
    My 2000 sometimes acts the same. Hot weather seems to aggravate it. It's the sending unit in the tank. They get worn spots over time. The only real solution is to drop the tank and replace the sending unit/pump assembly.
    Personally I don't plan on doing anything about it unless it stops working all together.
  • thomsonwithomsonwi Member Posts: 1
    Hello All. I have a 2010 Durango with very little miles. Nothing was wrong until today... the heat ventilation fan wont stop working! Engine is not running and cold BUT the fan wont stop! Dont have the slightest idea on how to make it stop before having to take it tomorrow to the dealers. Hope battery doesnt die out... pls any advise? Thxs
    Remove the fuse that provides power to the circuit.
  • lloyd67lloyd67 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 durango 5.2 with no heat i have changed the radiator the thermostat the waterpump and i have flushed the heater core. no matter what i do all i get is luke warm air and doesnt seem to be blowing at its full potential. the blower sounds loud as of its on high but feels like its on two
    Is most of the air coming through the defroster?
  • dmaconceptsdmaconcepts Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 durango that i love and i have had the same problems. right now it's not running hot but everytime i turn off the car all the antifreeze leaks out. radiator is new and we can't find any leaks. changed the heater core 1 1/2 years ago and heater hasn't worked since. i have spent thousands and am still freezing. no heat no a/c, and bow loosing antifreeze. i don't know what else to do and no one else does either.
    Check your passenger side carpet beneath the glove box against the firewall. Is it wet?
    The antifreeze has to be going somewhere. If it's not leaking out, then it must be leaking internally in the engine.
    No heat after core replacement - when the plenum was reinstalled under the dash something must have been put back wrong. The main control cable from the temperature setting dial comes to mind - it's mechanical and isn't hard to install wrong. Could also be a vacuum connection.
    No A/C - could be part of the heater problem, or the A/C itself. Did it work after the heater core was done? The A/C has to be drained & disconnected on a Durango to change the heater core, then reconnected and recharged.
  • ricky16ricky16 Member Posts: 10
    i have a 2003 dodge diesel the heater will not switch from heat to defrost i don't know if the vacuum pump run the heater or not con you help me
  • redmtn1redmtn1 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    The AC will not blow cold when slide levers have been slid all the way to cold. Only a small amout of cool air will come out. Move the slide off cold just a little and it starts blowing warm air. Checked the freon and it is ok. Thanks for your help.
  • redmtn1redmtn1 Member Posts: 2
    Cold air will not blow out of front or rear vents. Freon is ok. With the dash temperature slide bars all the way over to cold you can feel just a very little cool air. If you just slightly move the temperature slide bar it starts blowing warm air. Can you help me with this problem?
    Is the compressor clutch engaging when the A/C is turned on?
  • wertikwertik Member Posts: 1
    So what happened? I am having the same issue with my 2003 Durango. Either cold in back or front, but not both. Did the dealers solution solve the problem?
  • iambobwoodiambobwood Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. My mechanic and I worked through all the common problems and even found http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/53plo-dodge-durango-slt-getting-no-power-ac-comp- ressor.html

We ended up checking the relay and supplying external power to the relay and then the clutch engaged and has been working ever since this afternoon. Anyone else get it to work?
  • ra2gmo2pra2gmo2p Member Posts: 1
    Hi all:

Got a 2001 Durango SLT with 4.7L AWD.
    Was puttin around today and noticed that the fan was blowing hot air. Double checked the climate controls, all the way blue. The air cooled down when getting up to speed with traffic - 40mph around town speeds.

I see lots of posts talking about the AC blowing hot air, but this is just the vent fan. The AC button is OFF. (I do have AC in case that makes a difference.)

Many thanks
  • ed1214ed1214 Member Posts: 1
    2005 dodge durango a/c works off and on. replaced fuse and relay for compressor but didnt help. when working blows cold air, must be an electrical problem?
  • solecssolecs Member Posts: 1
    my black vacuum line is not hooked up but I can not find where it goes I have the dash pulled apart for the second time now (first was to replace the heater core) and I dont believe it was hooked up to begin with
  • debbycraftdebbycraft Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Dodge Durango 2001 front a/c and heat fan does not work, but second and third row seats do work....any suggestions?
  • slayaslaya Member Posts: 1
    First of all, I am happy I found this forum...very helpful and knowledgeable members. A great resource especially for someone like me temporarily working away from home.

The vehicle in queston; 2005 Durango SLT V8 5.7L Hemi AWD.

The passenger floor boards would get visibily very wet when the A/C was on. I thought the cause could have been the drain fittings were a little short or mis-angled because I read many had similar problems and that was the cause for them. I took it in to the dealer here (Riyadh,KSA) and asked them to also check the rear heater as it was only blowing cool air even when the heat was on. They said (after running tests) it wasn’t the drain fittings, rather the cause of the problem is possibly because of a leak in the evaporator. As for the rear, the rear blend door might be broken. They said they won’t know for certain until they get in to the dashboard and the rear. They also said it a very labor-intensive job so obciously quite expensive ($1300ish). However, I didn’t have the work done then and but just charged the freon.

I then brought it in for the 100,000 km service and also had them do a multi-point inspection. The result of the inspection was that I needed to replace the body isolators (20 total), replace the lower control arm because the bushings had too much play in them (they don’t just replace the bushings, rather the whole control arms), and auxillary belt (pulley, tensioner, etc) should be replaced. As you can see quite a costly repair list.

I got a quote for the A/C repair from another shop and they quoted me a “sealant” repair for ($200) but they also recommended (based on their experience) replacing the evaporator because the leak will happen again but from a different spot on the evaporator. As everyone probably knows, there is no such thing as “ASE” mechanics here. The only exception is with the dealers. Most of the shops here are pretty much made up of “back-alley” mechanics learning as they go from trial and error. They have no formal training or certification. At least that is what it seems like to me from my few years here. I know there are people who are very skilled and knowledgeable and they never had any formal training. However, finding such people is very difficult, especially here.

Anyways fast forward to early Aug 2011, I brought it in to the dealer for the front A/C repair and auxillary belt replacement. After I picked it up and as I was returning, the truck temp was rising after about 30 mins of driving. The A/C works but the temp heats up faster with the A/C on. I actually had to stop because it was getting in the 3/4 range of the gauge. I tried to turn on the heat hoping it will bring down the temp but the heat didn’t work. It blew cool air eventhough it was on the hottest setting.

Is it possible that something went wrong during the repair that may have caused it?

Also would there be any problems with replacing just the bushings on the lower control arm? I found an aftermarket Moor bushing online. I will ask my brother in Seattle to order it and then send it to me. I sure hope it’s not going to cause any problems because that will save me a lot of money because they are only $50 compared to $300-500 for the complete arm.

I don’t plan on getting the rear heater fix because I don’t use it here in this weather anyways. Is that going to cause more problems for me later?

The truck also stall sometimes when I slow down or make a turn. It starts right back up though. It doesn't do this often but just sometimes out of the blue. Any ideas regarding the cause would also be appreciated.

I would really appreciate any advice/help on this from the members here. I am just trying to get through the end of my contract and then go home so anywhere I can save some money will be a big plus.

Thanks to all in advance.
  • cws2cws2 Member Posts: 1
    MY BLOWER ONLY BLOWS THROUGH THE FRONT DEFORST VENTS I HAVE A 2000 DURANGO
    AND WHERE IS THE FAN RESISTOR
    Possibly either the control has gone out, one or more of the vacuum solenoids has failed, or there is a vacuum leak. There is one cable going from the control to the A/C & heat plenum, but I don't recall what is does 100%. I think it was for the max air/fresh air door.
    The fan resistor is on the top of the dashboard right side. I believe you can access it via a panel under the cowl, but I'm not sure. The only time I have ever seen it is when I had the dash out to replace the heater core.
  • fwinefwine Member Posts: 1
    I have air flow out of my two middle vents up front and the two driver side ones in the middle and back row. Nothing on the others and only cold and hot air in the front two. The ones in the back that do work just blow air not cold or hot. Can anyone help with this, is this a problem someone else has had?
  • bassmaster57bassmaster57 Member Posts: 13
    I had my mechanic test the whole system PCM box. The blower still works intermitently. Any idea's on the fix?
  • thischickthischick Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Dodge with front and rear control air/heat. I turned on the defrost the other morning and no air would come out of the front vents. I tried every kind of air flow to the front- ac, heat, defrost, and just feet. No air came out. The back vents are blowing air just fine. Hot and cool. We have checked the fuses and they are fine. I don't know what to do next. I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealership to get fixed because I am sure they will charge me an arm and a leg. Please help. :confuse:
  • robantrobant Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    My 2006 Dodge Durango ADVENTURER 5.7L A/C Condenser Fan Motor keeps running or remaining on more than 30 minutes after I shut the vehicle off. I keeps running the battery dead. I don't know if I should replace the fan motor, or if a sensor is going bad. Help please!
  • manthony3manthony3 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the compressor and It cost me 60.00 and didn't take me 15 min. and I am by no means a mechanic. Just as easy as any alternator I have ever installed. Our local mechanic quoted me 1600.00 on a rebuilt replacement. It sat for a few months until a friend needed to barrow it and he had pushed me into purchasing a used one and installing it myself. It was quite an easy and cheap fix. I didn't even have to recharge it.
  • kdog77kdog77 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to go buy a 1999 dodge durango for about 1000 bucks it has black leather int. and 4x4 but the only thing wrong with it is that the ac and heat do not blow air but the motor still works does anybody know what could cause that or how much it may cost to get fixed please reply asap thank you
    I assume you mean the blower motor works but nothing comes out of the vents. How about the defroster vents, anything coming out of them? Usually these problems are due to the controller itself (it's mostly vacuum operated) or one of the vacuum solenoids being faulty.
    Cost to repair varies greatly depending on the problem. The controller can be repaired from the front of the dash, if it's something on the heat A/C plenum up under the dash it usually means removing it which is a big job.
  • grinz25grinz25 Member Posts: 1
    My a/c has not worked since I got the thing used. 500 bucks, no biggie. Now after 3 months driving, my right rear and front left brakes don't release all the way after stopping. Head that is an issue with this model truck. Replaced brake hose on rear brake and fron left, it is not as bad as it was. Heard that a crossover valve is usually the culprit, but after going through these posts I am not so sure. Help please!
  • stamplinstamplin Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I currently have a 2001 dodge durango. it has rear and front ac controls however the owner prior to myself cut the rear ac system out. now it is missing a part for the rear controls. The problem I wish to fix however is this... I had to put refrigerant in about 3 weeks ago up on buying the vehicle. the ac worked fine after that. it was cool but not quite cold enough.as of a couple days ago after buying gas I turn the car on and ac was dead. the compressor is working and the hoses are cold. I can turn the dial but nothing happens so i know it's not the resistor. a slow trickle of freezing cold air comes from the vents when the car is running at normal speeds but it doesn't blow out even when the dial is in the off position. could it be the blower motor or is it the switch for the blower motor and how do I diagnos this? also after I get the a c up and running again how will I get the air to be freezing? keep in mind I am a woman so if I can try and keep this not too technical I would greatly appreciate it. also I don't know if it's in connection but my check brakes light started blinking on and off right before I stopped to get gas before all this happened
  • paulmonroepaulmonroe Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I cannot get heat even though blower and controls work fine. Checked coolant levels, blew out heater core and lines, etc. Removed auxiliary pump -- it works and activates when controls/fan are turned on heat. Engine idles fine and thermostat and water pump must be functioning properly since engine maintains temperature just fine. However, there is no coolant ion the two lines running from water pump to heater core (one thru auxiliary Bosch pump). Any ideas? I'm really perplexed. Bought car new -- never had this problem. Should mention -- ran engine which maintained temperature with lines to heater core disconnected -- no coolant came out, yet system is full!
  • tnboyinaltnboyinal Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue. I have checked the refrigerant level and it is okay. No leaks. Have you found out the issue?
  • gezzy4057gezzy4057 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2005 durgano and the a/c works fine in the rear but it doesn't work in the front unless I start driving what can be the problem
  • tmayben93tmayben93 Member Posts: 1

Hi all! I recently just bought a 2001 Durango and I noticed that the rear ac/heat blower works only for the 3rd row and not at all for the 2nd row. I tried seeing if the vents were closed and they're not... so any clue as to what it might be?

• dogorulesdogorules Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Hello, 2002 durango 4.7
    Front blower fan just totally stopped. Back still works but no heat. Just cold air. 
    Why would front blower going out affect rear heat? What am I missing here? To cold for no heat at all. Thank you
    [Email removed]