Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Rogue Lease Questions

Comments

• aeropostelaeropostel Member Posts: 18
    With the desired options on the SL 4WD

MSRP -including 780 destination charge - 29,030
    Invoice - including 780 destination charge is 26764

Sales tax here [NJ is 7%]
    15k miles - 0 down
    36mo / 39 mo
    -what other fees would there be? motor vehicle etc?

my concern is that this lease is going to be over 400 a month.[hopefully not when you work up the numbers correctly]. If that's the case is it worth it to buy for just a few bucks more a month [even though i dont like to buy because i think a car is a bad investment, and enjoy getting a new one every 3 so i remain under warranty the whole time]
    Is it ever possible to get a lease based on a cap cost BELOW dealer invoice?
    In this economy right now what do you think a feasible amount below dealers cost would be on a PURCHASE?

As you can see im a bit indecisive here. Hope you can help.
    Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi nagy. I don't know much about it, but apparently there is some sort of special auto credit score now. It is called the "FICO Auto Industry Option", score instead of the regular FICO credit score. The main difference between the two scores is that the former focuses more on to how you have handled previous auto loans and leases than the latter does.

Banks have always used different criteria to determine who qualifies for their top credit tier anyhow. If you believe that your credit is in good shape, but this dealer is telling you otherwise, you may be able to clear this up by getting a quote from another dealer. If you hear the same thing about your credit elsewhere it is probably true.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    If you were to lease this vehicle with an MSRP of $29030 and a Net Cap Cost (including acqusition fee) of $26764, your monthly payment would be $357.27. However, that does not include sales tax, DMV, title, etc. I know NY/NJ leases make you pay all those up front rather than some states like mine which just would just add the sales tax to the monthly payment ($357.27 + 7% = $382.28). We are responsible for our DMV fees when we register the car. So basically it would depend on the total of all of your fees and what part the sales tax is calculated on. I would venture to guess it would easily put your payment over $400 a month.

You could lease a loaded out Ford Edge, Subaru Forester, bigger vehicles, for $350 a month.

I would definitely ONLY consider buying the Rogue for about $430 a month on a 72 month loan. Don't lease this thing.
  • aeropostelaeropostel Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the numbers. On a purchase, what is a feasible number under dealers cost to haggle for? 500? 1000? more?

thanks
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Best bet would be to just send out as many email quotes as you can to dealers in your area. Dont be afraid to go as far a 250 miles out of your area if need be. Then call the 3 lowest priced dealers. Make ridiculously low offers that you know you will never get. Let the dealers know they are competing against each other for your business. If one dealer says he will give you $250 under invoice, you could say something like, "yeah but the other guy is giving me $500 plus that car is the color I want." Eventually, you will get the price you want. It's also a good idea to let them know you are looking at a competitor of the vehicle you are looking at. Make sure you let them know you could go either way if they don't give you the price you want.
  • jezmiajezmia Member Posts: 36
    thank you very much for the suggestion. One more question, any idea how I would be able to get an accurate FICO to lease a car? I have heard they are different from the FICO the bank uses. To get a tier 1 lease they told me I need to have a 700, which I have, but I have never leased or bought a car, would that be an issue? thanks!
  • murf01murf01 Member Posts: 5
    MSRP 29,155
    24 months
    money factor was like 0.004... (seems high?)
    Payment was $490.81 for 24 months

2009 Rogue SL AWD
    Purchased in Illinois.
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    OUCH!!! You could have financed $27,000 at 3.9 for 60 months for about $20 less per month. Is it too late to take it back?
    We did not want to purchase. Also we do not want the car for 5 years. ($30,000 / 5 = $6000 per year) with our lease, we pay $490 X 24 = $11760 (or $5880 per year) and I can turn it in after 2 years and get something else new.

So we see this as the same cost per year as trying to buy, but we are not locked into 5 + years of the same car.
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    1. You didn't want to purchase or didn't think to purchase?
    2. You wouldn't have had to keep the car for more than 2 years. That's the beauty of owning. You are not "LOCKED IN" for 5 years just because that's the loan term, it isn't a lease.
    3. When you're sick of the car you get rid of it. After 2 years payoff would be $16K. Are you telling me a Nissan is going to depreciate $13,000 in 2 years time? Residual is over 70% on a 2 year lease for a reason. Because it's worth 70 some percent after 2 years.

$490 a month on this $29,000 lease is just unimaginable to me. Should've bought it. People lease to LOWER their monthly payments, usually by a significant amount. I would use the general rule if you can't save $100 over a regular bank loan, BUY IT.

PS: My mistake. $27K at 60 months 3.9% would be $496. So for a grand total of $144 more you could've owned it. The residual value on a 24 month lease is over 70% so after 2 of your 5 year bank loan you would've owed $16,000 and it would've allegedly been worth $20,000.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    If you are borrowing $27k, then the payoff isn't going to be $16K after 24 months... Maybe $17K on a 5% loan..

Also.. Just because Nissan is willing to write a lease at 70% residual, doesn't mean the vehicle will be worth 70% in two years.. Either that is their guess... or, they are willing to use that residual to subsidize the lease.

Plus.. most people trade their cars in.. Could a $29K Rogue have a trade-in value of less than $17K in two years? I would bet on it...

Do I think the Rogue is a good lease value? Not at all.

Do I think it would be cheaper to buy it, then trade it in after 24 months? Nope.. If they know they only want it for two years, they probably made the right choice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, this is a great discussion and you help raise some good points. But for us leasing works. If he payment is $496 to own, or $490 to lease, and I can walk away in 2 years from the lease. If I choose the purchase option, and I want to trade in after 2 years I will almost be guaranteed to be upside down on my loan and owe more then what they will trade for. Too much hassle.

I do enjoy reading these posts and thank you for your input. I am not trying to sell anyone on the idea that leasing or buying is the right thing For us, we think leasing works. and the #'s dont seem to sway me back to buying (at least not yet they dont).
  • cargalgacargalga Member Posts: 2
    Here's the deal I have on the table- do I go for it? I'm in Atlanta, GA, I know my credit is solid, and I trust this dealership (got my last car there):

'09 SL FWD Leather
    Gotham Black ext/grey leather interior
    Premium package, rear spoiler, roof rack, etc.
    No moonroof

3 options for a 39 month, 12K/yr deal:
    $0 down (absolutely nothing) = $399/mo (including taxes)
    $1,000 down = $369/mo (incl taxes)
    $2,000 down = $339/mo (inc taxes)

On all of the options above, they'll cut me a check for $612 to cover my last 2 lease payments on '06 Altima.

I believe manager stated he's giving car to me for $27,395.

Help, please!
    Your 3 options come out as follows:

39 X 399 = 15,561 (over the 3 years)
    39 X 369 (+1000) = 15,391
    39 X 339 (+2000) = 15,221

If you can afford the 399 payment I would keep the 2000 down and invest it over 3 years you are likely to make close to the difference of $340. I would save the $2000 and invest it.
  • car_buff2car_buff2 Member Posts: 5
    GMAC has capitulated on $23,000 residual on 05 Tahoe (34,000 miles, 21 mpg hwy), offered for $17,804 w/2 payments left, net purchase price $16,667 through leasing dealer. I can put new tires ($650), get certified for $400-500 w/12 mo bumper to bumper warranty and 4.9% for 48 mo. Can put $2,000 down to get payments down to around $360.

Considering option:
    Lease 09 Rouge. Local dealer1 quoted on SL w/FWD, prem pkg, leather and sunroof, $389/mo (includes sales tax) 39 mo term w/$1,000 cash for 1st month and fees. Selling price $25,750, 61% residual of $16896.55, .003 money factor, 12,000/yr.

Dealer2 quoted on 08 Rouge same equip as 09, 39 mo term, $1,006.65 cash, $392.77/mo, 58% residual of $16,344.40, .002 money factor, 12,000/yr.

Bottom line issue, Tahoe when paid off is 8 years old, worth a little something, with more costly fuel. Rouge would fit needs, I know 09 would be best choice, liked 09 Murano but $100 more/mo. After 39 mo of lease payments on Rouge, would be in same boat as I am now. Might roll dice and holdout 2 mo to see if GMAC makes deal more attractive and/or lease rates/incentives change w/Nissan.
  • cargalgacargalga Member Posts: 2
    To close the discussion...

I wound up getting the car yesterday.
    The deal was 39 mo, 12K/yr, $347/mo- all taxes included (which are 7% in my county)

I only put down the first payment- that's it.
    Tried to trim a few extra dollars off- but it wasn't happening. Ultimately I think I still got a very good deal. Enjoying the car so far...
  • forensicpaforensicpa Member Posts: 1
    Cargal - did you get the '09 SL w/ prem. package? Can you tell me the name of the dealership?
  • mriomrio Member Posts: 10
    live in new york city. looking to lease a rogue. got an offer from 1 dealer on 2008 sl awd premium w/leather. 12k 39mth lease. $370mth. only first payment due at signing. wondering if this was a good deal or if i should look at the 09's? an what can i expect to pay for lease? tnx michele.
    Hi mrio. The best way to evaluate a deal is to look at its selling price in relation to its MSRP or its dealer invoice price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what this number is, it is difficult to tell how much room there is left to negotiate. If you share this number with us here, I am sure that either myself or another helpful community member would be happy to give you their opinion of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • cmelocmelo Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Chicago, IL. I had never lease a car before and can't afford to buy. Please review this offer. I need to make a decision quick. Credit is average, some lates but never in car financing. Thanks.

2009 ROGUE S AWD w/ Splash and Mats Lease
    39 Months - $199/Month - $2,754 initial payment.
    Excludes taxes, title, license, and $595 non-refundable Acquisition Fee. $2,754 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $2,555 consumer down payment, $199 first month payment).

2009 ROGUE S AWD w/ Splash and Mats model 77419 subject to availability to well qualified lessees through Nissan-Infiniti LT. $22,505 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $19,380 does not include a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,761.00. At lease end, purchase for $14,403.20 plus $150 purchase option fee (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear and tear plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. See participating Dealer for details. Offer ends December 1, 2008.
    Hi cmelo. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

the deal that you mentioned in your post looks like Nissan's official advertised payment for the Rogue. As a rule of thumb, savvy consumers who shop around in an area that has a decent level of competition can easily beat manufacturers' advertised payments by negotiating a lower selling price than the one that it is based upon.

Car_man
    Host
  • cwanamakercwanamaker Member Posts: 2
    Currently, I have a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo that is worth ~$7,500. I owe ~$11,000 on it. I am looking to trade it in on a 2009 Rogue S that I would like to lease. I am not the best with numbers and would like a second look ...

I talked to the salesman last night and he couldn't provide me with a worksheet until they had a chance to look at my trade, but he did tell me that they would be selling me the car for $400 behind invoice (so I assume a $20,000 sale price). I would be leasing it for 39/months with 12K miles a year. I would be rolling all taxes, negative equity and tags into the payment and will only be putting $1,000 down. They quoted me a lease payment of $391.

I have a FICO score of 771 (checked a few days ago), so I know that I should be top tier ... but I don't know what the money factor should be. Any insight into the deal and what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated! If there is room to move in this one, I want to know before I go there again and sign the deal!
    Hi cwanamaker. $400 under dealer invoice is a good price for a leased Nissan Rogue. As far as the money factor goes, NMAC's current buy rate for a 39 month of an '09 Rogue S AWD is .00211. The factor for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 model is .00155.

As long as the dealer is using the aforementioned money factors to calculate your lease payment, this looks like a good deal to me. My main problem with it is the negative equity that you have in your trade. You would be better off waiting until you were less upside down to get something new, but I understand that many people don't want to wait that long.

Car_man
    Host
  • cwanamakercwanamaker Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. How did you find out NMACs buy rate?

And I was planning on waiting a while to get out of the current car I have, but things have been going wrong with it and it is no longer covered under warranty. It also doesn't work well up in the hills of PA where it has been snowing on and off here since October.

I talked to another dealer who had an '08 in stock and they offered me $378/month, 12K miles a year, $1000 out of my pocket and $7800 for my trade. I think I am still getting a good deal there as well. Since I don't plan on keeping the Rogue S at the end of the lease, I thought I might go for the '08 for the lower starting payment and then up my miles to 15K. Good idea, bad idea? How much should the extra mileage cost me per month?

Thanks again!
  • cmacfar944cmacfar944 Member Posts: 18
    Car-man,
    Could you work up what my payment would be on a Rogue SL lease. The MSRP of the vehicle we are looking at is 27,205 and we can get it at 25,715. We would do the 39 month lease deal and bring 1500 for our downpayment and first month payment. Also we're in colorado if you need that info as well. Thanks for your help.
  • dperkdperk Member Posts: 4
    Sorry a bit confused, after reading... i am about to end a lease, and have been looking at the Rogue.

I am confused to get the FWD or the AWD.

thx
  • dperkdperk Member Posts: 4
    Does this sound like a good lease?

2009, 39 month, Rouge SL AWD, 12K, fully loaded, mats, mud, only 1st payment, $349?

Thx
    I'd be happy to work up a payment for you, cmacfar944. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD that has an MSRP of $27,205 and a selling price of $25,715 through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $343. The payment for an otherwise identical 39 month lease would drop to around $330.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dperk. The best way to tell if a lease is a good deal is to look at the selling price that it is based upon. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given. Let us know what this truck's MSRP and selling price are and I am sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will be happy to give you their opinion.

Car_man
    Host
  • eug1eug1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi does anyone know or have an idea what a minimum fico requirement would be to get approved for a lease on a Rogue.

Thanks very much in advance for any input!
  • hondaandyhondaandy Member Posts: 1
    Hi carman, kyfdx and everybody else,

I was just offered a base model 2009 Nissan Rogue S in South Florida with the following terms:
    39 months
    12K miles per year
    $269 per month, tax inclduded
    $600 down which covers first month lease payment, title, licencs, etc...

Is this a good deal?
    Hi hondaandy. The best way to evaluate a lease is to look at the selling price that it is based upon in relation to either its MSRP or dealer invoice price. You never mentioned what either of these figures are.

The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. These numbers will enable you to see how much of a dealer discount you are being given. Let us know what these numbers are for this lease and I'm sure that either myself or another helpful community member will gladly give you their opinion on them.

Car_man
    Host
  • ReinsReins Member Posts: 5
    Hi Car_Man,

I'm looking for an ideal payment for the below:

2009 Rogue_SL_AWD / MSRP 29,155 Invoice 26,864 (Selling price right around high 25k's to low 26k's)

39 Months
    12k Miles per year
    2,000 down (includes all fees and taxes up front 7%)
    -500.00 grad discount

What do you think the monthly price would come out to be?
    And do you happen to know what the current money factor is for these models?

Appreciate your expertise!!
    -Reins :)
  • tastecklertasteckler Member Posts: 14
    I am being offered the following deals in GA:

Both deals are sign and drive, 12k miles/yr. and include splash guards, rear bumper protection and floor mats (as if I had a choice).

Rogue:

S = $291 + tax for 39 months
    SL w/premium package = $327 + tax for 39 months

Anyone care to comment on these deals? I want to make the decision within the next 2 weeks. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Reins. A selling price below dealer invoice is an excellent deal on a leased 2009 Rogue right now. Let's work up a sample lease payment on this vehicle for you and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD that has an MSRP of $29,155 and a selling price of $26,000 through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. right now for 39 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $310. I used a money factor of .00211 and a residual value of 60% to arrive at this payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tasteckler. the best way to evaluate these deals is to look at these vehicles' selling prices in relation to their MSRPs or dealer invoice prices. the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what this number is, it is difficult to tell how much of a dealer discount you are being given. Let us know what these numbers are and I am sure that either myself or another community member will gladly give you their opinion on these deals.

Car_man
    Host
  • tastecklertasteckler Member Posts: 14
    Car_man,

The specifics of the deals are as follows: (the deals are now 1st payment due at signing)

2009 Nissan Rogue 2.5 S
    MSRP= $21,365
    selling price = $20,071
    39 months
    12k per year
    Residual Value is 61% or 13,032.65
    money factor is 0.002110 or 5.0%
    $282.71 +Tax

2009 Nissan Rogue 2.5 SL with Premium Package
    MSRP= $24,755
    selling price = $22,678
    39 months
    12k per year
    Residual Value is 59% or $14,605.45
    money factor is 0.002110 or 5.0%
    $318.05 + Tax

Any analysis would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • pmmanpmman Member Posts: 5
    09 SL AWD with premium package, leather, moonroof, mats & splash guards.

Can anyone tell me the current Residual & MF for a 39 or 36 month lease. I am trying to work out the payments on a lease for a negotiated price of $24,837. 12,000 miles a year.
  • ReinsReins Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Car_Man!!!

One quick question, you mentioned zero down, which is different from zero out of pocket right? I would still have to put about 2k out of pocket to cover all the fees.
    Just wanted double check, thanks again!! :)
  • pmmanpmman Member Posts: 5
    Reins,

We are looking at the same Rogue to lease. MSRP 29,155. Lets keep each other in the loop. I am still working on best price of $24,837. This price is not including the $780 destination fee so its really $25,617. I am still trying to get the exact Residual and MF to work out payments.

And by zero down you are not putting money into reducing the cap cost of the lease. Paying TTL & fees up front doesn't mean you are putting money down. However, you can roll your taxes into the monthly payments and just pay first month, title & fee's.
  • KaimakeKaimake Member Posts: 11
    Any opinions on this lease deal?

2009 Rogue SL/FWD
    36 month lease
    15,000 miles/year
    $22,421 Cap cost
    Zero down payment
    Does not include TTL
    .00211 money factor
    $13,508 residual
    Monthly payment $363 includes tax

I am thinking about taking the deal if he drops the cap cost to $21,000. Any opinions?

Thanks!
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Considering you could buy it on a 5 year bank loan through Nissan for 2.9% with a monthly payment of $400, I would definitely not lease it to only save $40. The general rule to know if leasing is better than buying is if you can't save over $100 per month leasing then buy it.
    Thanks for the additional information, tasteckler. Let's take a look, starting with the money factor. The money factors that you were quoted for both of these vehicles are right in line with Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s buy rate for them. This is a good thing.

Now let's take a look at their selling prices. The 2009 Rogue S has surprisingly small margins. There's only around a $1,000 gap between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The selling price that you were quoted looks excellent. The same goes for the price that you were quoted on the SL.

If you like the Rogue, I personally don't see any reason not to go with one of these deals.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pmman. Here's the information that you're looking for. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00211 and 61%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00211 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, Reins. Yes, by zero down I meant that it's in your best interest not to make any sort of capitalized cost reduction. Even without one, you would still have to pay things like your first month's payment, security deposit, acquisition fee, and certain taxes or fees at signing. Much of that, like the acquisition fee and taxes, can likely be rolled into your vehicle's capitalized cost to make it part of your monthly payment if you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • clemsonlewclemsonlew Member Posts: 2
    anyone know money factor and residual for 2008 Nisssan Rogue SL FWD and AWD? 12K and 15K annually; I notice alot of them are discounted $5000 so could get good Cap Cost
  • clemsonlewclemsonlew Member Posts: 2
    anyone know money factor and residual for 2008 Nisssan Rogue SL FWD and AWD? 12K and 15K annually; I notice alot of them are discounted $5000 so could get good Cap Cost
  • alermanalerman Member Posts: 1
    Just leased a 2009 AWD SL w/ leather premium and moonroof. MSRP 29155, dest fee of 780 Sale proce 25,900 adjusted cap 25,371. We put 1500 down (total) and our monthly payment is 318.78 for 15K miles. (after taxes)
  • jay761jay761 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Just got back from local dealer with this offer. 09 Rogue SL AWD with moonroof, conv. package .... Sticker price of $27,205.00. Selling price of $25,300.00 39 month lease 15K miles a year, total out of pocket is $996.81. With taxes roled in monthly payment is $356.91. Our tax rate is 8%. Does this sound like a good deal? I am thinking that there is more room to work here. thanks
  • hellofromjersehellofromjerse Member Posts: 10
    what area did you lease your rogue from?

I am looking for a deal in the Northern NJ area and cannot seem to get the prices anywhere close to what others are getting for a Rogue Sl with premium, leather and moonroof.

I was planning on an Mitsubishi Outlander and almost bought a new Rav4. SO glad I did not sign on the Rav. I test drove the Rogue and fell in love.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
This discussion has been closed.