Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Noises and Sounds

judysteelejudysteele Member Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Buick
The noise is a deep humming sound, no vibration. Starts at about 35mph and stops at 60 and when I am just applying steady pressure on the gas pedal. If I push the pedal or let off it the noise will stop.
Makes no difference what type of road surface.
Sometimes the noise will start right away and next time I might have to drive for 15/20 minutes.
I tried to record the sound before I take it to the dealer, but I pick up to much road noise.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    FWD or AWD?
  • judysteelejudysteele Member Posts: 3
    It's FWD. Also I don't get any noise turning left or right.
    From what I've read about wheel bearings that was my first thought, but shouldn't they make a noise all the time?
    They will make the noise under the right circunstances (whatever that might be). The turning thing is just more prevalant when its a front wheel bearing. In my case (Pontiac version) with the rear bearing, it did make more noise when making high speed turn (such as an exit ramp while traveling in excess of posted limit ;) ), not that I suggest doing that. Does sound like bearing issue to me.
  • judysteelejudysteele Member Posts: 3
    If it is a bearing going out shouldn't it make a noise all the time? If I remember right, in the 'old' days when a bearing was going out it would sound like stones in a hubcap,
    We've always done our own work on our vehicles, but these new ones are getting complicated and now you almost have to go to a garage for repairs.
    Stuff is different these days, materuals and tech specs have changed. The symptoms (noticable) have changed also. One other thing I remember when rear bearing was failing is in my case when driving (and creating noise) on a bumpy road the noise would waver when load was taken off wheel (as in the downside of bump)
  • firetruckerfiretrucker Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 CX and recently had the fuel pump replaced. Not long after that a buzzing roar began in the left rear of the car. It doesn't change pitch when the gear shift, just a steadily increasing sound the faster it goes. I've noticed it changes when I take either a left or right turn enough to shift the weight over it. Is it a bearing going out or maybe something didn't get tightened up during the repair to the pump?
  • rritchierritchie Member Posts: 1
    If this noise occurs only when turning, then your rear differential fluid must be changed. It is a very easy 5 minute job. you will need only a metric # 8 Allen type wrench and 2 quarts of VersaTrac fluid..$35 per quart. My Buick dealer tried to charge me $425 to do the job. RPM Automotive quoted $190. I did it myself because it is literally easier than changing the engine oil. The are 2 drain plugs on the diifferential revove them both and drain the fluid thoroughly. replace the bottom plug, then squirt the 2 quarts of fluid in through the top plug. Re-plug and go for a drive and do a series of fiure-8s. Mine stopped whining within 2 miles. Good luck.
  • suv_guy_19suv_guy_19 Member Posts: 3
    Our Rendezvous have terrible noise coming from the rear end when going over bumps. It seems to reverberate through the cabin as if someone is clapping their hand over your ears on certain surfaces.

On other surfaces, such as a freshly seal coated road, the road noise is just terrible.

When we first tested the vehicle, I have no memory of it being like this.

Does anyone else have this problem? I seriously need help with this. There is some type of fix to the rear floor that somone mentioned here, but the dealer near me says them haven't heard of it. Please help!
    For the noise when going over bumps, is it a clunk noise? it could be something simple like tire jack or spare loose, or it may be rear knuckle bushings.

For the other sounds is it just road noise or wind buffeting because rear windows are down way more the front windows? Or is it a whine that changes with speed that could indicate rear wheel bearing issue?
  • rebeccan24rebeccan24 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought a 2002 buick rendzvous ... Im having 3 problems.. Would like to know if anyone can tell me whats causing it to shift harsh you can feel it shifting kinda harsh when you take off . Doesn't do it all the time also when you let it set to warm up you go to get in it you can smell a gas smell . The fan only turns up to 4 instead of 5 when you turn the heat on . I hope I didnt by a lemon ..
    Gas smell as in gasoline? If so it may be leak in fuel tank (near where the filler pipe meets the tank) . The fan problem sounds like it may be the HVAC cluster (where the fan and heat/AC controls are).
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    For gas smell in your Buik, do contact your local Buick dealer, provide them your vehicle's VIN and ask if all TSBs (and recalls) were performed on your specific vehicle. If not, I'd book your RDV to ensure they apply all Recalls & TSBs. Especially if its a free fix. For more info about TSBs and gas leak fix, surf:

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/gm/buick_rendezvous.htm

Hope this helps...

• vous_ownervous_owner Member Posts: 1
    Wind noiseHi. Wondering whether anyone has experienced a noise that sounds like wind whistling in the cabin. Seems to happen when I hit about 35 miles per hour. Checked seals (door, sunroof, hatch) for leakage. Doesn't seem to be the problem as it doesn't stop when I taped them off. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch! This is driving me crazy!
  • hsorensenhsorensen Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same problem in my 04 Rendezvous. All door seals are fine and still it sounds like one of the doors does not have a good seal. Also, the other issues I'm having with this vehicle since I bought it Summer of 08, are a whining noise coming from the rearend(at first I thought the power steering pump was going out, that's what the noise sounds like), the radio wouldn't hold programmed stations where they were set yet they would be on other buttons instead of the assigned button(I had the radio replaced and this happened for awhile after the replacement, but has since quit), I hear a beeping noise coming from the drivers side door when I'm driving down the road(the dealership couldn't get a code on it so they said there wasn't a problem) it sounds like the keyless entry but whatever, and I can never keep my power outlets working, and I go through brakes like crazy! My warranty will be going out in 40 more miles and I was just at the dealership today. They 3 guys I talked to told me I needed my differential fluid changed, but the whining noise from the rearend was a "characteristic" of this vehicle, they also told me the new Corvettes make the same noise. I went immediately to another dealership and the tech that drove my car said that the noise was not a good sign and it shouldn't be making that noise, he thought there might be a "repair" for it; however when we returned to the service bay and he told his fellow tech buddy what it sounded like the guy told me I needed the fluid changed and that after doing a series of right and left turns the whining noise would go away. I am so flustered as I've had this issue since I bought the car, and for way too much money might I add. Who has had these same issues and what if anything can be done about them? :sick:
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    My wife has a 2002 AWD Rendezvous with 97,000 miles. The whining noise coming from the rear can be remedied by flushing and filling the differential fluid, then doing a series of figure 8s in the parking lot, draining the fluid and then filling again. Solves the problem for about 25K to 30K miles. Comes right back again. I've gone through this twice (once under warranty). Regarding all of the strange electrical type things going on with your vehicle, I can confidently tell you that it is related to your BCM (computer). Replacement costs about $900 or so. I had that done under warranty as well. Since you have the 2004, you won't have to deal with the upper and lower manifold gasket issue. Not sure if they fixed the a/c condenser issue by 2004, but that is a biggie as well. Oh, and don't forget about the wheel bearings that go on this vehicle at $500/wheel. Currently, the gas guage no longer functions properly in my wife's vehicle, another popular problem. Not going to bother with that as the fix is rather costly. My wife's 2002 has gone through all of these issues except for the wheel bearings (amazed that they haven't gone at 97K). To be fair, once the dealer took care of all of these issues (most under warranty and the rest at a substantially reduced cost), the vehicle has been relatively trouble free. Of course, you should never have to deal with any of these issues in a vehicle in the first place. But that's a different issue.
  • rayne1rayne1 Member Posts: 4
    My 02 CX has a rattle sound when pressing the gas. It gets better when there is a full tank

Any ideas?

Also I have just noticed a whining noise on the driver's side.

Any ideas on that one as well?

It has 69,000 mi

Thank you,
    Charayne Reed
  • hsorensenhsorensen Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. My only problem is my vehicle is now out of warranty. I went to the dealership 3 times for the noise issue and other issues I described in my earlier post. On my last trip to the dealership to have the issues addressed, no one in the service area would listen to anything I had to say. The guys just told me if I get my differential fluid changed, all problems would go away. Well now my car sounds like a jet engine gearing up for take off when I accelerate, and the sound "gears down" when I am slowing down. You can hear it in the cab of the car, coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. A mechanic tells me it's the wheel bearings, which I told the dealership I needed those checked, but all the guy at the dealership wanted to do was tell me IT'S YOUR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED! and scoot me out the door. Don't go to Speedway Chevrolet in Broken Arrow Oklahoma. :sick:
    Couple ideas on noises (Haven't had them lately so I hope I remember correctly). Wind nosie can sometimes be from cross rails on roof rack, moving them all the way to rear can solve that one. The need for Versatral fluid change either because its old or because of leak is usually described as moan/groan noise (at low speeds as I recall). A whine that tends to get louder with speed may be a rear wheel bearing and may be more pronounced (or get quiet) when going over bump, and may also be more evident when turning corner at high speed.
    I've noticed that sorta "clicking" sound when I'm low on gas and on certain roads. I was thinking maybe a bearing as well but, like i said as long as ALL my fluids are full I don;t get that sound. I'll tell u what, this is the weirdest car I have ever had! I do love it tho, it drives like a dream!
    About a yr ago I had to have the instrument cluster panel replaced. I took it to the dealership and the mechanic said that they do a lot of those. I've checked and there's not been a recall on them. Seems like if so many have to be replaced (about 600 bucks) there should be a recall.
    Don't you agree?

Thanks,
    Charayne Reed
  • tigfittigfit Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous same problem error on mileage , no average fuel economy , no instant fuel mileage! Pretty much have had all the problems everyone else has had on this forum. Can't figure out why they can't sell cars!

Good Luck
    Bill :lemon:
    Hey Bill, good to hear from ya! Sadly, most people are too embarrassed they have our car lol, or are not aware of the site.

I wanted to let you know that I had my serpertime? belt replaced, that made the noise that i thought could be a bearing. The VERY next day my change oil light came on, ya know it wasn't happening while I was ALREADY there, so brought it in (as u know when THE car talks u have to jump on it or else lol) and need my transmission fluid changed as well. With it being an 02 the pan and the entire 9 yards had to be done, had it been any other yr, only the fluid would've had to have been changed. Anyway since changing the trans. fluid, NOT one sound, the thing drives like it's BRAND new!! It was too funny as they had another Rendezvous, that had just come in, 08 and was still there. I asked if they were having trouble GIVING it away, hahaha!
    I just hit 70,000, how many mi does urs have?
  • tigfittigfit Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 Buick Rendezvous has over 100,000 miles on it but since the odometer now says error who knows! I have a 1993 Pontiac Transport that's almost at 250,000 miles and never have had to take engine apart. Wish I could say that for the Buick.

Bill :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I wanted to let you know that I had my serpertime? belt replaced ...

That would be the serpentine belt.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dplevadpleva Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 rendezvous It growls when you turn the wheel
  • mbatachmbatach Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Please sorry for my english cause I speak french.
    I have a problem (I think it's problem, and maybe not very serious …) I have a noise on front differential , I asked many people (repair ) and they said that I need to change by another one.
    Is it true? and is it (my important question) dangerous to drive this car now. If I drive my car under 70km/h the noise is here, but more than 70km/h the noise disappears. Please let me know..Now the very important question …we have ticket from New york to Los Angeles 6-01-2012 and we want to go to to New York from Montreal by car and after one week we'll return back to Montreal…Can I drive with this car and I'll repair after.

Please I need your help

Happy Holidays
  • safedriver7safedriver7 Member Posts: 2
    I am having issues with a humming or moaning noise on my 04 Rendezvous. I have taken it to a mechanic today only because he said it sounded like my rear hub. But it turns out it was not the hub, he thinks it is a mid point bearing where the drive axle for the rear end of my vehicle meets. But I have been reading your forums and keep hearing people talk about Differential Fluid. Would this solve my issue. The noise I have goes on continually unless I make a right turn. It is also make a tremendous banging noise when I hit any size bump, it is my rear left wheel that does this, I have been told it is not my shocks, struts, hub, axle, etc. I am getting annoyed by this noise and frustrated that no one can find what is making it. I don't wish to spend big bucks on something that doesn't need done. Can anyone help with there input. :sick:
    Moan/groan on the AWD version can many times be corrected with a versatrak fluid change (also may be due to leak in system). The banging may be a broken spring.
  • robbennrobbenn Member Posts: 1
    I know this an old post but I recently acquired a high mileage 2003 Buick Rendezvous with the moaning rear. I changed the fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax that reduced the moan level but did not eliminate it. I did not do a flush. After about a thousand miles I then added about four ounces of limited slip differential friction modifier. After about a dozen circles in each direction the noise was gone completely. I wanted to verify the Versatrak still worked so I drove it off the road so one side was on the pavement and the other was in the grass. From a complete stop I floored the gas pedal. The Versatrak worked perfectly. I don't know how long this will last but it's working perfectly for now.
  • fraticellifraticelli Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2002 Rendezvous, currently when hitting 35 mph she sounds like she is on a ventilator, and it looks as if the tachometer is revving at that moment when it makes the noise the breathing stops when I let my foot off the gas! I have NO codes/engine light. I've taken her to a mechanic and they have no idea, no vacuum leaks either. 2 yrs ago I had a new head-gasket put in. 4 yrs ago I had a new transmission put in and my differential done. At this point I am at a loss and unfortunately bought her as an unknown lemon. We were thinking maybe the Torque converter, but truly unsure. Any thoughts? Please help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2017
    So the engine is revving higher than usual, you take your foot off the gas, and the tach needle then drops to a more normal RPM? Is it like a delayed upshift---takes longer to shift than usual?

You can still have codes stored in the TCM, or the TCM portion of the ECM. I'd certainly hook up a professional scan tool and look around.
  • tinap78tinap78 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Redenzvous. I replaced the bearings & brakes and every since it has been squeaking (which is driving me nuts) it was only doing it when I back up now its squeaking as I drive down the road. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? 
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Did you do the replacement yourself or have it done at a garage?

Does the squeak go away if you press the brake pedal and hold it while slowing down from a higher speed?

It might be the pads themselves squeaking against the rotors, which I assume were machined or new ones put on.

It might be a backing plate that's behind the rotors to protect from splash and dirt somewhat that is rubbing against the wheel because the backing plate is bent or out-of-place.

If you're do it youself..., jack up each wheel and rotate to listen for the sound of something rubbing, whether it's the brake pads or a backing plate. If you can already tell from inside while driving that it's from a specific wheel, start with that one, of course.

If a garage did the work, go back and tell them you're getting a noise that they need to inspect. They should be happy to fix it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• candy46candy46 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous that is making a rubbing noise coming from the rear end of the car it sounds like it's in the driver side rear tire and only makes the sound when I'm turning a sharp left
    I'm thinking its a wheel bearing. Determining where sound is from can be difficult, and noise when turning might make me thing front wheel.
  • smithkass78smithkass78 Member Posts: 1
    Why does my O4 Buick Rendezvous make a funny noise when pushing gas pedal? 
    Also it gives off this burning smell while using the heater. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    For the burning smell, you may have a small oil leak from say a valve cover, that drips on a hot exhaust. Certainly this is worth checking out, either from the top with a strong light or on a lift, checking for where the leak ends up.

Not sure about the "funny noise", as this can be related to so many things whirring around inside the engine bay.

You might see if you here the noise with the engine off while pressing the pedal, and if you do, get a friend to help you track it down.

For the burning smell, you may have a small oil leak from say a valve cover, that drips on a hot exhaust. Certainly this is worth checking out, either from the top with a strong light or on a lift, checking for where the leak ends up.

The oil around 13-year old valve cover sealer material is most likely the source of a smell.

Additional burning smells I've had are from a small coolant leak that hits a hot area around the exhaust and rubber tubing or wiring bundles near exhaust areas. These under the hood sources can be sucked in through the air intake that supplies the HVAC system.

You might try opening the hood after shutting the engine off when you smell this odor. I have even left the hood down and just sniffed around the open seams to see if I could smell the same odor from under the hood (on a day when there's no wind...).

Something to think about are does the smell happen with the AC on especially when set for cold temps. Even when the requested temp is for cold air, the heater core still gets up to full operating temperature: the air stream bypasses the hot core when asking for cool air or AC.

Possibility is the source might be inside the car. The heater core itself may have some sealer material that has aged in 13 years and is touching the heater core. This scent would not occur until the engine is up to full operating temperature which means the water going through the heater core would be hottest.

Without a definition of the scent that's more specific, it's hard to know where to look.

• LilMonsterLilMonster Member Posts: 7
    Why is my fan turning on when I first start the engine and staying on for a lil bit after I shut it off 2005 buick rendezvous cxl 3.4 or is it supposed to come on when you first start the vehicle
    Which fan?