Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

T&C Corrosion Problems

ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
I'm starting to see a corrosion problem develop on my 2003 T&C. The van is well maintained, garaged and waxed at least twice each year.

The problem is showing up mainly on the front underside of the hood along the seam. It's visible in several locations along the seam and is starting to expand some, opening up the seam slightly. In addtion, I have a similar problem on the rear liftgate along the seam. I also see minor corrosion starting to develop around the the fold line near rear wheel well/fender.

Is this normal for a 5+ year old vehicle? I'm debating whether to trade it in before the problem becomes visible on the outside or just gets worse. Trade in now is about ($6000+ for the 03,ex w/ 70K).

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I don't think that's normal in only 5 years. Maybe on a '58 Edsel, but not on a 2003 vehicle. How bad is it, really? Is the hood seam horizontal or more vertical when the hood is opened up? Maybe you have drainage hole blocked or something.

Where are you located? Do they use a lot of salt, etc on the roads?

Underside of the hood seems like a strange place for a rust problem to first show up. I could maybe understand the wheel well/fender, but not the hood.
  • ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    I'm located in Columbus, Ohio ,so I'm sure the road salt in conrtibuting to it. But the locations are odd. The two areas where it is most pronounced are both shielded somewhat form the salts.

The location on the underside of the hood is along the horizontal seam where the exposed hood sheet metal is folded over on the inside. It is about 3/8 of an inch from the front edge of the hood. The corrosion on the rear liftgate is in a simalar location along the horizontal joints at the inside fold.

Over the weekend I tried to touch it up with by applying a primer and finish paint to the seam area, mainly to try to protect it from moisture or air. I doubt it will do much.

My goal was to keep the van for another two+ years, but don't want to if it becomes a rust bucket. Nor doI want the morw visisble rust to depreciate the value much beyond its current black book value.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I suggest you take a trip up to Ontario and stop by a Krown Rust Control outlet. They apply a product (that I believe is oil-based) all over your vehicle. It costs about $130 Cdn. The application needs to be done annually. The product displaces moisture and helps prevent the corrosion from spreading. For years I used the product when I lived in Ontario. Your vehicle will drip from the residue for a few days after the product is applied. It should prevent your rust problem from getting any worse. Good luck.
  • ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the tip. It sound similar to my bosses suggestion. He said spray the crease with WD-40 and they apply a heavier grease to seal it.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Anything that displaces the moisture will probably help. Just want to make sure that you don't inadvertently create anything that would hold water (as may happen if you close up a drain hole).

I wonder what that place up in Ontario uses? I had a fella here at work that swore by Linseed oil.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Follow this link for additional info.

http://www.krown.com/
This discussion has been closed.