Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• fdm1fdm1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought this car in February. I already have a 2007 Hylander Hybrid. I have been averaging 35 mpg overall. The 2007 averages 22.5 in the winter (MA) and 26 in the warmer weather. I am happy with the 35 mpg and hope it continues through the warmer weather. Using Mobile 1. The only negative at the moment is at highway speeds during windy conditions (wind in New England?) you feel the car moving and need to make steering adjustments. At the speed limits it is not a problem. Rear camera is a plus. Today's cars do not give you any rear visibility.
    The wife eminent domain-ed the Hylander (best car I have owned). Great acceleration, rear wheel drive handling, AWD when needed and SUV passenger and storage flexibility. The new Camry Hybrid engine is 147 hp plus 40 hp electric motor 189 hp total. Gives it enough for this type of car.
    Looking for the higher gas mileage and reliabilty for the long run!!
    Happy so far.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I have been getting 32 mpg on my 2006 camry le v6. I use cruise control, shell 87 octane.. I am very impressed with this v6 engine that get 32 mpg.

I will test using shell 91 v power to see If i can get up to 34 mpg. I will keep you update.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry

thanks
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    2002 Camry XLE, average MPG--23.11, 357 mi.., 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT-supercharged version MPG--21.98, 271 mi...Both cars are driven over the same routes, usually a/c is on, and sunroof open..It's Florida!!!!!

The XLE is a 4-banger w/80k miles, and the Pontiac is the V-6 S/C with 44k miles.The XLE is driven by a woman, and I drive the Pontiac..

The XLE runs on regular gas, and the other one on premium..V-Plus..and synthetic oil..

I would venture to say that 70% of the cars in Florida carry the Foreign label, not BIG 3 vintage...just an observation..Ford now gives the best Big3 dealer coverage with GM and Chrysler at the bottom of the barrel..Hyundai and Kia seem to have more dealerships than there are gas stations..

Keep buying the cars from the offshore guys for we must keep the Asian countries in "Good Health"..No more cars for me from the GM or Chrysler, so Ford is the only one left to receive consideration..

Toyota builds a good car, don't want to offend anyone for after the recall and some lawsuits along with a stiff government fine for covering up a few safety problems, they will return to old way of doing business..
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    2002 Camry XLE, average MPG--23...The XLE is a 4-banger

2010 Fusion Sport, 3.5L V6, avg. 23.4 MPG. You might want to take that Camry back and have it fixed if you are only getting 23MPG with a 4 cylinder. :sick:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You don't know the driving style here, remember -- driving style and route are essentially everything to mileage. A V6 will get low 30s in the right conditions, where a 4-cyl can easily hit the teens under a lead-foot in town.
    I think people will still buy Toyota regardless of recall and news.. Toyota build good cars.
    Yes cold weather and windy condition will affect the mpg.. I lost about 3-4 mpg in that kind of condition.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Great pick, Fusion Sport, my 2nd choice behind the Mustang GT or new V-6 w/performance pkg..Fusion Sports are priced right, great suspension, nice engine, sunroof, and leather available with out the door pricing around 22,000..for a loaded one..Beats Camry SE 4 or 6 bangers on pricing. by a wide margin.

The 2002 Camry in my garage just received a 4-wheel brake job, 4 new tires, and a oil change, not performed by a discount house or Toyota dealer. A "Tire Rack" installer, 2 man shop, appt only, hands on, skilled mechanics, and not cheap, but good..Had 4 new Michelins put on the 2006 Pontiac, junked the 4 Handkooks which were shot after 10k miles..

The driver of the Camry is somewhat aggressive so mileage probably suffers, and I will give it the triple-digit tuneup when I take her to airport next week..100+ for a few miles should blow out the carbon and dust..Always has worked for all my cars, tuneups are allowed@100k..or tradein to avoid a/c or tranny problems..
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    I own a 2010 Avalon equipped with a 6-speed auto. transmission. The transmission is very annoying as it hesitates and seems to be confused. The majority of my driving is city driving. What I cannot stand is when I let my foot off of the accelerator, the car literally pulls back and hesitates significantly. It seems as though all power to the engine is cut off completely (almost feels like car is going to stall, but I know there isn't anything mechanically wrong). In other words, the car doesn't coast once the gas pedal is released.

I have been reading extensive reviews from owners of 2005-2010 Avalons and many owners experience and complain of the same issue. It seems as though Toyota has purposefully designed the transmission to do this to help boost fuel economy.

Anyway, I am very dissatisfied with my Avalon's performance. I am looking to trade it in for something else (another Toyota) that doesn't have this problem. For 2010, Toyota included the 6-speed auto. transmission on the Camry. For those 2010 Camry owners, do any of you experience this hesitation issue? Specifically those with the 4 cylinder engine? Prior to my Avalon, I owned a 2004 Corolla and this car's transmission was awesome! No hesitation of any kind, ever. This car would "coast" for long distances once I let my foot off of the gas pedal and NEVER hesitated.

Any feedback from current 2010 Camry owners will be appreciated!
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    Why don't you place the transmission into the manual shift mode and upshift it to the next gear to see if that cures your wanting to coast
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    SOP....The "wave" of the future...?

CVT will always yeild the best FE so the closer, the more gear ratios a tradintional gearbox has the closer it can come to a CVT's FE. Fuel Cut, total and complete fuel cut, during coastdown periods, is now the "standard". Remove your foot from the gas pedal and as long as there is enough forward momentum to keep the engine turning over with ZERO fuel that's the way it works. Once that momentum declines below the needed level fuel flow will begin again and then you will likely feel a slight "lurch" forward, reduced/lowered engine braking, as a result.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Camry, Avalon, and Performance are words that do not belong in the same sentence ever! If you were looking for Performance then your shopping at the wrong automaker!
    yes. I always get 32 mpg on my 2006 camry V6. I am agree you say driving style, ad route factor the mileage.. I am very easy on gas, use cruise control, 65 mph highway driving. I mostly use octane 87 shell and chevron..
    please check out my fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry
    Good call on the Shell and Chevron there. All my vehicles require premium, but I always get Shell Premium for my vehicles only. If I'm on a road trip and no Shell around, I'll get 76 or BP in a pince but try to stick with shell as much as possible!
    There is NO modern day passenger vehicle engine that REQUIRES premium fuel.

Recommended, yes, required, NO.
    I tried octane 91 on my 2006 camry v6.. mpg is about the same using octane 87...
    octane 91 will give a little power.. But I don't need it.. I am currently getting 32 mpg from octane 87.. even octane 91 will get 33-34 mpg, it is not worth it.
    edited May 2010
    You don't have a clue what your talking about! My Maxima and TL require 91 octane or higher! I get 93 since Shell on offers 87, 89, and 93. My Maxima a couple months back got filled with regular by the stupid attendant and the car almost shaked itself to pieces. It idled like crazy, had trouble accelerating, and struggled to run sometimes. So again, you have no idea what your talking about!

Both lids on my Max and TL say premium fuel required!! So even if it just says recommended or required, and there are plenty that do, you better go in do it. If you going to be a cheap [non-permissible content removed] and not fill it up with premium when its recommended or required then don't get the vehicle! Get a clue will ya! :mad:
    If your 2006 Camry engine isn't high enough compression to make use of the 91 octane then you're just wasting money, it will NOT give even a smidgen of more power.
    When I picked up my new Porsche 911/996 at the factory I was told that I would not always be able to fuel with preminum throughout my travels in europe but not to worry the engine ECU would adjust the A/F mixture accordingly. Detailed explanation followed when I asked.

"..almost shaked itself to pieces.."

Sounds more like contaminated fuel, water, in the fuel.

The worse that low octane should do, even in an engine that REQUIRES premium fule, is knock/ping during acceleration, maybe even only hard acceleration.
    Again, it has nothing to do with contaminated fuel. That is just an excuse your using to justify your ridiculous point. The only time the car got that bad as I explained was on the one single tank that 87 octane gas was put in. There are plenty of passenger vehicles, especially luxury ones, that require premium gas and do not run very good and cause damage when someone, like yourself, puts regular in and not the right premium octane ratings!

I know a couple of guys sometimes have mixed mid-grade 89 octane in without problems but that was not every tank, only like every 3rd or 4th tank! Everyone who has put 87 regular in either damaged their engines and exhaust system or had problems with noises, terrible rough idling, and decreased fuel economy!

I'm not saying there are not some vehicles that regular can be use but most needs 91 or higher when its states recommended and/or required and its more to just prevent knocking/pinging on acceleration as you claim.
    i don't care it give more power or not.. As far as I know, my camry v6 engine is same as lexus e300.. I am very happy I get 32 mpg using shell or chevron octane 87.

I do use octane 91 on my 2010 pilot 4wd.
    well, as I pointed out to wwest before, most cars that say premium recommended or required means exactly that, you should be using 91 octane or higher; I have found that out in my past experience with Caddy, Infiniti, Acura, and Nissan.

What you are talking about is a specific exception to the rule, and I assure you it is a minority; the ES has virtually the same identical V6 engine as the Camry does yet Lexus I believe recommends premium fuel; I have read time and time again, of Lexus ES owners over the years, who filled up the first 4-5 tanks with premium just to give it a cleaning and to help during the very initial break in period, but then switch over to 87 octane for the remainder of their ownership with no reduction in mpg, knocking/pinging, acceleration problems, or rough idling. So the ES is a good example with the premium gas exception.
  • ztssztssztssztss Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I think I have the same problem as you do! My windshield fogs up in a rainy or foggy day. Whenever it is humid, the windshield on my Camry becomes foggy. After using RainX and changing wipers, the problem remains. I have 07 Camry, which didn’t have this problem. After the original windshield was replaced by a Toyota OEM one in spring 2009, I started having difficulties driving in rainy or foggy days, especially at night. The visibility significantly reduced when there is incoming traffic. I contacted local Toyota dealer several times and even had a guy works for parts department sit in my car in a rainy day; and I was repeatedly told that it is a normal condition, and my mom’s/aunt’s/uncle’s/friends’ car have the same problem. I also contacted a very reputable local auto glass shop; but the owner, who has twenty year of experiences, wasn’t able to tell my why.
    So I was wondering if you had this problem fixed, or found the cause of this issue?
    Thanks.
    i suspect you're running the A/C while its raining? If so, turn the temperature up to where the air isn't "Cold" but somewhere between "Cool" and "Temperate" and see if you still have that problem.
    Exterior windshield fogging, formation of condensation, is ALWAYS the result of the windshield glass surface being TOO COLD, below the dewpoint of the outside atmosphere. Manually switch your HVAC system into heating mode, footwell air outflow only, or combined heating cooling mode, footwell & dash air airflow, in order to allow some level of "heating" to the interior windshield surface.

To combat the discomfort of "coolish" system airflow to the face and upper body in cooling mode some folks will route the airflow to the defrost/defog/demist air outlets....

BIG mistake.

That will only help to CHILL the windshield and make it more likely to fog over.

Some of the newer automatic climate control systems, european/Bosch systems mostly, at doing this automatically in order to make the cool air outflow more evenly spread and thus less discomforting. In which case you must manually close the windshield deforst/defog/demist outlets.

There are a few C-BEST options that impinge on this area that you might want to check out with the dealer.
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    ntassistant -

I have a 2010 4 cyl Camry. I'm not sure about the rollback thing, but if I don't really baby the accelerator when going from a full stop, it lurches forward. I have learned to accept and adapt to it. Same thing in reverse. If I park on an incline - front downwards - I can't get it going in reverse without a lurch. Extremely annoying and alarming.
    I love everything else about the car. It has the quietest, most comfortable ride of the mid size sedans, which is why I bought it. That and how well my old Toyotas (92 Camry and 94 Corolla) have held up. I still have both. The old Camry still rides like a dream.

If your Avalon annoys you, I wouldn't buy a new Camry. I'm very sad to say this.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2010
    Have you taken it to the dealership for a gas pedal replacement? Sounds like that should be fixable.
    kiawah-
    I did have the pedal replaced. No help that I've noticed, I'm afraid. Thanks though.
    I hardly hear about anyone else having this problem. The mechanic from the dealer said he didn't notice anything when I had him drive it. I should have told him to step on the gas as if he needed some sudden speed. That's when it's really noticeable. I think it's a quirk in my car. I'm no lead foot but occasionally you need some get up and go. I still love the car, mostly for the comfortable and quiet ride. I have occasionally forgotten to turn off the car when I leave it because it's so quiet - I have the Smart Key. The car, whose name is Christine after the car in the Stephen King book, does let me know when I take the key out of range.
    dookie4
    Running the A/C in the rain turned to a warm temperature has worked for me too.
    It seems odd but it works well. The A/C keeps the air in the car dry.
    edited June 2010
    Running the HVAC system at a "warm" temperature and in a setting/mode (footwell or combined footwell/windshield) that "washes" the inside of the windshield with the "warmish" airflow will do the job very adequately.

Use of the A/C will have absolutely no positive effect on th exterior of the windshield other than COOLING it down to the dewpoint (the temperature at which condensation begins) of the outside atmosphere.

Every time I got out of the cooled car cabin in Tampa last week my eyeglasses would immediately fog over.
    Use of the A/C will have absolutely no positive effect on th exterior of the windshield other than COOLING it down to the dewpoint (the temperature at which condensation begins) of the outside atmosphere.

But it'll prevent it on the interior.
    "...But it'll prevent it on the interior.."

Not nearly as reliably as HEATING the interior surface of the windshield, and KEEPING it HEATED.

The A/C can only work for cabin airflow dehumidification if mother nature, whimsical mother nature, deems it so. Additionally, with the use of A/C only for dehumidification you will often be left, sometimes days after, with sudden windshield fogging as a result.

When you switch the A/C off that condensate remaining on the roughly 10,000 square inches of the evaporator vane surface area can later act as a MOISTURE BOMB, rapidly humidifying the cabin atmosphere and condensing on an interior windshield surface already below the dewpoint.
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    just bought a new 2010 camry, pretty happy with it and getting 30+ average MPG for 2.5L, automatic, amazing:

two questions

1) the 'handle' inside the door seem to be made of two separate piece of material, and there is a gap between them, so if I hold the handle tight it feels like it pinches or squeezes my hand or finger, this is really annoying to me. I look at all four doors, and the 'handle' all seem to have a small gap.. does you camry do that???

2) when is a good time to do first oil change, should I wait till 5000 miles or is it better earlier during break in of the vehicle?
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    I don't recall an issue with the door handles - I am certain all Carmys have the same door handle parts. As for the Oil Change Interval - it was extended by Toyota to 10K miles. I my self asked about getting an oil change done early - break in period and all that, but was told by a number of credible sources that it is not necessary. The engines go through a break in period before install, so there should be no metal shards left when the car is delivered with fresh oil to the customer. However, unlike Honda, the Toyota engine doesn't come with any solvents added to the car from factory - so, if you choose there is nothing preventing you from getting an oil change done early. But, keep in mind that it requires full synthetic 0-20W oil, and a change will cost around $65+. I my self waited till it turned 7.5K to get my first oil change - still the oil on the dip stick looked perfect! Keep in mind that the oil change light will still go off at 5K intervals - check your manual for re-set instructions.
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    because i bought this month, i got a 2 year/25k miles free maintenance from toyota that includes oil change, so I'm taking it to the dealer for the free oil change at 5k miles.

can you do me a favor and check all 4 of your inside doors, if you squeeze on the 'handle', does it flex? are there a small gap on any of them??
    Did the revised Owners Manual that I received from Toyota after the oil change interval mention that it needs full synthetic oil? I couldn't find it. I did find it pretty funny that under the 5K maintenance schedule it says something like "check floormat".
    Thanks.
  • awn7eawn7e Member Posts: 12
    I saw this 2010 Camry LE for sale. It is exactly the same as mine. But I noticed that my 2010 Camry LE has one tailpipe where this one has two.

Does anyone know why?

http://www.johnsonlexusdurham.com/VehicleDetails/818716633
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2010
    The one on the advertisement is a V6.
    cc62966 is right; that's common on other midsizers as well. I have a V6 Sonata with dual exhausts, but the 4-cylinder has just one. Same for Accord I4 and V6 models.
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    My 2010 SE, a 2.5 4 cylinders has twin tailpipes.
    Update on my comment about the car feeling like it's lurching when I go from a full stop. It seems to have improved a lot - I actually don't notice anything but a smooth pull away from a stopped position. I don't think it's my imagination. Maybe the car engine broke in or something. Do new cars have any sort of break in period? My 4 cylinder Camry now has 16K on it. I'm really pleased with it. :)
  • toyota3000toyota3000 Member Posts: 6
    Toyota catching up to Ford???

Ford SAYS that they have caught up to Toyota in quality.......really?....just because Ford says so? Toyota says look at our record not rhetoric.

What Ford does best is marketing, not building cars.

Lets see what the long term quality of Ford vs. Toyota is before we declare Ford the king.
    Actually, Ford exceeded Toyota in quality. I traded up to a 2010 Ford Fusion from a 2009 Camry and havent looked back. 23k miles on the toyota and the seats had wear in the fabric, the sunroof stuck, the dash rattled, and overall material quality was subpar for the price of the car.

38k miles on my Fusion so far, and the only problem was a sticky caliper replaced under warranty. Seats still look like new, no rattles, no squeaks, nothing to complain about.

After owning 2 Toyotas, and now having Fords, I will not be going back to Toyota any time soon, both my Fords are doing great with 59k between the both of them.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi acdii:

Good Morning! ----- I enjoyed reading your posting! ----- Did you know that Ford engines have a problem with their spark plugs blowing out of their engines due to defective machining of the spark plug holes in the head? ------ Ford does not accept responsibility under their warranty, and the cost of repair in on the customer! ------ I can easily deal with wear on fabric seats by purchasing a vehicle with leather seats. ----- Dash rattles can be located and fixed easily, ----- but drilling out the old spark plug threads, --- cutting new threads for a steel sleeve, --- and installing it into the head to accept the spark plug is a major issue, --- and having Ford dump the "total financial responsibility" on the owner of the vehicle is very unprofessional on the part of Ford! ------ I personally like the Ford Fusion and the Mustang, but I would not purchase one because of the spark plug issue! ------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    There is no emperical evidence other than Ford projections that they have come close to Toyota quality.
    Ford has had a lot of problems with the 5.4 Triton. The factory plug is a 2 piece design and breaks when removed, they have a redisigned plug, but Champion makes a one piece unit that will prevent the plug breaking.
    The champions cost $20 each.

Consumer Reports still rates Honda, Subaru and Toyota as top three picks.

The only Chrysler product recommended is the Ram 1500, All other Chrysler products are below average rated.

Ford has made progress, the Focus outscored the Civic this year, but to say their ENTIRE line is as good as Toyota, Honda: is marketing, not quality.
    That is old news and no longer an issue since they have redesigned their modular heads for the 5.4 and V10 engines that had these problems. The problem also is related to improper installation of the spark plugs, and has for the most part happened after a spark plug has been changed out. It also has not hurt their truck sales, they are still #1 in truck sales for something like 30 years.

It still has no bearing on the cheap materials in a nearly $30,000 car like the Camry, I shouldn't have to spend another $1500 to have better materials in the car, I should expect to have better materials in a Camry, not Corolla material. A nearly $30k car should not have squeaks and sticking sun roofs, and noisy doors. I have nearly 40k miles on my Fusion, and not a squeak, rattle or any other problem has occurred, in fact the one problem I did have went away when I replaced the tires, and that was poor rain traction, which were the tires and not the car.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    edited August 2011
    2011 Camry LE I4 can be purchased for under $20K and current model is in the end of it's production cycle. While current Camry has it's shortcomings, it does deliver. I remember Car and Driver magazine choose it to be #1 sedan on the middle of unintended acceleration smear campaign. They said while Camry is not superior in every department, it does excel as a package and this is hard to beat. We'll soon see what next generation Camry has to offer, I'm sure Toyota folks worked hard to keep Camry #1 sedan on the market.
    Hybrid, not low end base line cream puff model. To think that the seats in the Hybrid are no better than those in the baseline I4. It really is a moot point at this time since the Fusion I have is hands down far better than anything Toyota has to offer. I like a car that can handle curves and has a sporty suspension and that is NOT a Camry. The only reason the Camry is selling is the soft mushy ride most people are used to, and think that a car that you feel bumps in the road is bad. If I want a row boat, I would get a row boat, and the Camry is a rowboat compared to the Fusion. Wallow on down the road, wallow on down the road.
    Not old news if you own one.

Rather than posting in the Camry forum how bad they are, why not go to a Ford forum and post how good they are.

Consumer reports still rates Honda, Subura and Toyota as higher quality than Ford.
This discussion has been closed.