Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Walmart used to have a great deal on changing oil: $15ish for regular dino and $40ish for Synthetic. Unfortunately, they used to use Fram oil filters. You may want to ask them if they'll do an oil change with a filter you supply (dealer brand or Purolator One, etc)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Still no problems with mine. I think they did cost cut the interior on this generation to keep the price down. With the stability control, skid control, TPM, etc. I guess something had to give, but Toyota did say recently that they were going to tighten-up on quality. However, I read about rattles and other minor issues like you are having on Hondas also, so I think they are doing the same thing. I'm not sure what else to get, maybe Fusion/Milan, but I have a problem with them in that they are built in Mexico with only 50% NA part content, and I'm not convinced yet about long-term reliability of them.

Oops, got off topic, sorry, back to the 2010 Camry.
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    From the service dept of the dealership where I acquired my Camry, he confirmed the 0W20 is the required oil. The cost for regular oil change is normally $32.95 plus tax & waste. For the synthetic oil an additional $25.00 more or total price of $57.95. I am sure tire rotation not included in the price.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I checked Walmart website and found this:

Lifetime Balance $7.50 per tire $12.50 per tire with TPMS
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Check this out
    Mobil 1 Dealer search

You can get a price comparison from a Mobil 1 dealer near you and see if you can save some cash while getting a known GOOD oil. They can stamp your book too if needed.

Also check this out Promotions.
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    In order to get the color 2010 Camry LE that I want before late October, my salesperson said I had to get the optional
    ''AM/FM CD player with integrated satellite radio [6], MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® [7] connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® [8] wireless technology, Vacuum Fluorescent Display, six speakers and in-glass antenna''

It is not something I want but she gave it to me for invoice price and it is due off the boat this week. I was poking around the internet to see if it was a better stereo then the base model. It seems to be the same except for the Bluetooth and Vacuum Fluorescent Display. Problem is I read someone say that the display is very bright. That would drive me nuts at night if it is too bright. I called Toyota Customer Service (clueless) and asked if the light can be dimmed and they kind of said no, but asked me to call my dealer to be sure. Dealer did not know and did not have one on the lot (except for the one w/JBL) Good grief!
    Does anyone have this optional stereo (not JBL) and if so, is it bright and can you dim it. I don't want to have to cover it to drive at night.
    If it is the plasma cluster, it is bright, and dangerous when foggy at night. You can dim it down to a point, but it is still too bright and you have to turn the dash completely off for it to shut off, which will leave you gauge-less. This was one of the reasons I got rid of the Camry, that along with poor handling, seats wearing out in 16 months, rattles, and squeaks after 33K miles, sticking sunroof, wind noise on the drivers side, and the hybrid braking being finicky if I hit a bump. Toyota quality is NOT what people claim it is, maybe years back, but not anymore, Hyundai has better quality and is just as reliable, that I agree is the only thing the Toyota has going for it, I didn't have any mechanical problems for 33K miles. I replaced it with a Fusion Sport, and the difference is night and day. If you haven't checked a Fusion, you missed out, if you did, and just didn't like it that's a different thing.

When I first got the Camry, it was in the evening and while driving it home the lights came on and I saw the dash light up and thought, that's cool, then one night it got very foggy, and with the back glare from the dash, I could not see out the window at all, and the only way I was able to see was to turn the entire dash off using the dash dimmer, that is the only way. I was able to see the road then, but I didn't have any speedometer or any other gauges. It is a distraction at night while driving since it is so bright. Since it is a florescent display it cant be dimmed down enough, and I complained big time to Toyota to come up with a solution, but got nothing in return. Because of al the disappointments I had with the Camry, I will not be buying anymore Toyotas. In fact I checked out a Lexus RX 400h and my Hyundai was a better car, Lexus seems a wee bit over rated to me when I can buy a car with the same features or more for 10K less.
  • chuks2chuks2 Member Posts: 8
    Any got good deal on 2010 Camry LE in NJ ?
    The display does not, and has never, bothered me at night, fog, rain, sleet, snow, etc. over the past 3 years. You can only judge this for yourself, but consider this: if it was a big problem for most people, Toyota would have changed it by now (over 3 years since this generation has been out). For the vast majority, it's fine, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

I also have zero complaints about quality on the 2010 so far. The 2007 had a hesitation while accelerating (like many 2007 and 2008s had) that was fixed with a quick 25 minute computer reprogram at the dealer about a 1.5 years ago. The 2007 also has a slight rattle in the dash when below 40F outside AND before the car is warmed up. After warmed up, no rattle, no matter how cold outside.

Yes, the interior could be better (more "plush", etc.) on the 2007-2010, more like 2002-2006 would be better, but you get stability control, etc. that you didn't get on that generation.
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company's largest-ever U.S. recall, to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash. The recall will involve popular models such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota said it was still working with officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find a remedy to fix the problem and said owners could be notified about the recall as early as next week. Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said until the company finds a fix, owners should take out the removable floor mat on the driver's side and not replace it.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," Miller said.

Toyota and the government issued separate warnings to owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about the safety problems tied to the floor mats.

"This is an urgent matter," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

more ~
    http://money.aol.com/article/toyota-to-recall-38m-vehicles-over-floor/693097?flv- =1
    This recall is completely ridiculous and not necessary - please see my post in "Brand problems swept under the rug" Message #421.

PLEASE use the clips and DO NOT place a mat on top of an existing one - that's it, done, nothing to worry about. It's also in the instructions!
    Toyota's main website staff seem clueless to general questions. First I asked them to confirm which oil to use on 2010 Camry and I got 3 different answers. Even local dealer service departments are confused.
    Then I called them about the radio above and they told me brightness could be not adjusted. They also told me the display light could be changed to different colors. Not something I care about but I guess the younger crowd would enjoy. Tonight I drove to dealer and checked out the radio. The brightness can be adjusted and the radio light only has one basic color. i was very pleased with the radio light. Not pleased with Toyota's toll free number folks. They seem to look at the manual fgor answers. My Camry is on the boat and due to arrive in Jacksonville tomorrow:) I am a Honda owner since 1980. I bought a brand new 2009 Accord Sept. 9th. Did not notice until the 50 mile ride home that i was unhappy with their latest generation. Terrible road noise, bumpy, hard contoured seats but main reason was the new steering wheel design that prevents you from resting your hand at the bottom of the wheel. I have a permanent neck injury and drive on open or safe roads with hand positioned on bottom of the wheel. They now have a tiny space that lets me get 3 fingers on bottom of the wheel. I ended up with 75 miles on the Accord. New Camry will cost me another $2,800.00. Could of been worse. Honda lost a faithful customer. What a dumb design. Love the Camry's ride, low noise, comfy seat and great steering wheel. The Honda steering wheel> http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/5923/5923_st0640_054.jpg">
  • fun4shoppingfun4shopping Member Posts: 5
    After reading the recall, I took a look the gas pedal of my 2009 TCH. I noticed that the TCH gas pedal bottoms out rubbing the floor carpet(without the floormat) when pressed. Anything that is rubbery that place between the gas pedal and the floor carpet may cause the gas pedal to stuck. Comparing to my 2006 RX330, the gas pedal does not bottom out to the floor carpet when pressed. It may have some clearance issue on the gas pedal to the floor carpet!? I did remove the floor mat of my TCH. I remembered there are some instance that the floormat was off the hook after dropping off the car for car wash. I did not notice that days after!!!
    The day after I got my TCH home I removed the factory mats and put them in the trunk and used all weathers, mainly because my drive is gravel and the car is parked outside, I wind up wiht driveway in the car. The hooks in the Toyotas are strange, most cars have a snap button to hold the mat, their method is to use hooks that swivel, so if the mat moves any little bit they can get unhooked. I never had a pedal issue with the AWM, even though they slid all over the place. I didnt use Toyota AWM, I used Walmart specials.
    Before you get that Camry, do yourself a favor and check out the Milan/Fusion, since you have a neck problem, the seats may be more comfortable for you. My mother has a neck injury where she is missing a piece of bone, and the Camry seats were very uncomfortable for her. She doesn't mind the Sport seats, and the non Sport seats may be even more comfortable for her. You may even be able to get one for the Honda price and save $2800 plus they have 0% for 60 months on them.

If you have an ocular problem where back glare can affect your night vision, the dash will be a problem, no matter what others say, it will be a problem. As I am getting older I am finding it harder to see at night, and back glare is bad when I am trying to see the road on a dark stormy, or foggy night. The other night driving home in the pouring rain I was very happy with the Fusion, no back glare to distract me from seeing the road, just 3 kids, but thankfully they are not very bright at night when they are sleeping! :D
    My Toyota OEM AWM don't move - they are the only mats being used (not on top) and I have them connected to the TWO hooks. Just following the instructions. They don't move, never been a problem in 3 years on the 2007, a few months on the 2010.

They won't get "unhooked", unless you try, and even then, it takes some doing to get them out when I clean them.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I put Weathertech's in all my vehicles, as soon as I buy the vehicle. I went out and checked last night to see how secure they were in the Camry. They're on to those floor clips, it's almost impossible to get them unhooked when I WANT then unhooked and am trying....no way they're coming unhooked by themselves.

And nothing near the gas pedal to create a problem.

I guess if people were doubling or tripling up mats, and they were shifting around, there could be problems.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    The plastic skirt in the front is too low to the ground - I live in a hilly town and I am always scraping this skirt as I turn in to streets that go up or from streets that go down. It doesn't show (yet) but it happens a lot - even when you are going really slow.
    Other than that - no problems after 2200 miles or so.
    Yes, I agree. I have Weathertechs in one, and Toyota All-weather in the other car.

If you use the clips, there will be no problems. And never put a mat on top of another!
    The 2010 is the same as the 2007, and I have not had this issue. When going up or down a steep drive, I go on an angle and slowly so I don't bottom-out.
  • jake3219jake3219 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this site, I am looking to buy my first car, I have about 3k to put down. I need some tips and some buying help on these three cars. I am looking to buy in the next three months. How do they compare??
    How do they compare? There are probably at least 50 - 100 different factors that people use to compare different vehicles. Each person views those individual factors differently than someone else.

Some people need/want 4wd, others don't. Some want a JBL radio, I could care less and just want the standard radio. Some must have the color red, others don't care about the color and just want a good deal on whatever color is available.

Go to the manufacturers website, look up the model you are interested in, print out the info you need, and make yourself a little spreadsheet if you want to compare. Some websites allow you to select a couple of different vehicles, and it will do the comparison for you side by side.
    How do they compare? There are probably at least 50 - 100 different factors that people use to compare different vehicles. Each person views those individual factors differently than someone else.

Some people need/want 4wd, others don't because it cost more to begin with, more to break, and mileage is worse. Some want a JBL radio, I could care less and just want the standard radio. Some must have the color red, others don't care about the color and just want a good deal on whatever color is available.

Go to the manufacturers website, look up the model you are interested in, print out the info you need, and make yourself a little spreadsheet if you want to compare. Some websites allow you to select a couple of different vehicles, and it will do the comparison for you side by side.

More features = more cost. Figure out what features are important to you, and at what cost.
    My advice would be to shop shop shop. Drive each one, drive different ones from different dealers, until you find the one you want, then go over it closely, check material quality closely, read up on consumer reviews, not magazine reviews, but reviews from people who actually drive them every day and once you decide, go to Consumer Reports and use their new car buying kit to get the prices so you know where to start negotiating.

If you are open to all cars though, check Ford and Hyundai too, they have some great cars that are just as good, if not better than the [non-permissible content removed] cars. A car is a huge investment, and unless you plan to flip a car every year like I did for the past 3, then research everything, don't just jump into it. When I bought the Toyota Camry Hybrid, I only bought it because I was able to get it for the price I was willing to pay for it, which was just a hair above sticker that included tax title and license without a trade. The sticker was 28393, I paid 28500, 500 down and financed 28000.

In 2007 I bought a base Prius, mainly because my existing car was getting old, my F350 was getting too expensive to be a daily driver, and my wife had an Exploder that I just didn't feel was safe enough for her and the kids, and after trying to find a car that would suit us, I finally decided, lets get the highest MPG car out there, and that's when I found the Prius, and other than a quick review showing it had high reliability I knew NOTHING about the car. I found one, and since the dealer had 8 on a Saturday, and sold them all, and this one just rolled off the truck, and the interest rate was 2.9% for 60( about the only time I have seen that for any hybrid), I didn't have a lot of time to think about it, so we bought it. For 10 months the car worked out well for us, we bought it the day before my son was born, so with his carrier and my daughters car seat, there was just enough room for our tweenager, but once the little one outgrew his carrier, we had to get a regular car seat, and found there wasn't enough room in the car. 10 months after buying it, I had to get a different vehicle, and we also realized we needed something to haul 6 people, because we were at the point were if we went somewhere we had to take 2 cars. I traded the Prius in on a Hyundai Veracruz, and that was after doing a LOT of research and found that it was the best value for the buck and we love it. After two months though, and getting rid of all the cars except the Veracruz, we discovered, we needed a second car, so without much research and knowing Toyota has reliability, I sent out queries on the Camry Hybrid and made a deal on it. The first thing I discovered upon having it a few days was how poor the quality of some of the materials were compared to the Hyundai, and my old Fords. I was very disappointed with Toyota at that point. After 16 months of driving the Camry, I just couldnt put up with the poor handling and uncomfortable seats anymore, and since the seats were showing signs of wear after only 16 months and 33K miles, I said screw the gas mileage, and traded it on a Ford Fusion. Hands down the Ford has shown me that there are American cars that have good quality, and this car handles very nice, and is very comfortable. The interior quality of the parts is much better over the Camry, in fact when I open the sun roof, you can barely hear it, the Camry would whine like a little kid, and sometimes would stick.

To sum it up, before you decide, check check and recheck everything. Check material quality, check how it handles, check to make sure you are comfortable sitting in it for long periods of time, We spend over 2 hours a day in the car, so that makes a big difference. Go look at a Camry with cloth seats, and try this. place your hand in the middle towards the front, right where the seam is and press down, I'll bet you will feel the springs underneath. I was starting to see that part of the spring in the cloth of the drivers seat. It sounds like you want to buy new, and you want a good reliable car, so take this advice under wing, and you shall find a car you really like and will be happy with for as long as it takes to pay it off and then some. Just don't be fixated on [non-permissible content removed] cars only, there are other brands out there that are just as nice, if not nicer that are just as reliable and can even be less expensive.

I was a Toyota Owner, they are very reliable cars, I will not say otherwise, but as far as quality goes, there are better cars that are just as reliable. Toyota really needs to step up to the plate now to catch up to others like Ford and Hyundai. Until that happens, I doubt I would ever get another one.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota catch up with Ford..??

Toyota has a viable, highly viable, upscale luxury lineup.

Ford has..??

Ford, needs, desperately, an "LS400".

Ford EcoBoost...PURELY a marketing SHAM...!!

Ford Exploder...not with the tires PROPERLY inflated, or add a set of lowering springs and you have a STELLARLY SAFE SUV.
    I found this in another forum of Lexus owners. The filter is the one needed for 2010 Camry which is a filter cartridge. I also did my 1k mile break-in oil drain and refill. When I hit 5k I would either the dealer or I will do this complete procedure. Note: 5 qts 0W20 synthetic oil
    Has anyone from this board done their own oil change? The procedure seems easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
    Just did the 1000 mile break-in oil change on my ES350. Very easy for the DIY'er
    Parts: Toyota 04152-YZZA1 Filter kit
    Toyota 90430-12031 drain bolt gasket
    7 quarts 5w30 SL/SM oil ( takes 6.4 qts with filter change)

Tools: 14MM box end wrench
    3/8 ratchet with 4" extension
    65-67MM oil filter wrench
    1-wooden toothpick (to remove o-rings DO NOT use a metal tool)
    Floor Jack
    Oil catch pan
    6" piece of old 1/2" garden hose

1. Raise car about 5-6 inches find oil drain plug on oil pan and remove w/14MM wrench draining oil into catch pan.
    2. Reinstall oil drain plug with new gasket (be sure to remove old gasket as it will stick to the pan drain hole, tighten plug.
    3. At front RH of car underneath you will see a round aluminum oil filter housing. It is gray and has an indent for the 3/8 drive extension. Insert extension into housing and remove oil housing cap. (a small amount of oil will come out).
    4. If the small black o-ring comes off with the cap put it back on as it will seal the draiining of the filter
    5. Take small plastic drain insert from filter kit and insert the long end into the piece of garden hose.
    6. Insert the pronged end of the plastic drain insert into the filter housing making sure to direct the hose into catch pan. The oil filter will now drain.
    7. Remove plastic drian insert when filter is drained. (twist and pull out)
    8. Using 65MM oil filter wrench unscrew filter housing and remove. Remove used filter element.
    9. Wipe clean and replace small o-ring with new small o-ring and reinstall cap on housing (be sure to oil new o-ring so it seals correctly). Tighten cap with 3/8 ratchet extension.
    10. Remove large o-ring from filter housing and re-install new large o-ring from filter kit ( be sure to oil new o-ring). NOTE: use the wood toothpick to remove the o-rings because if you scratch the aluminum housing it will leak.
    11. Place new filter element in housing and push all the way in.
    12. Wipe housing cavity (on the engine) clean and re-install filter housing by hand. Be sure not to dislodge o-ring. Turn in tight all the way by hand and apply light force with filter wrench (remember you are not tightening another 1/4 turn like a conventional filter) Be careful not to cross thread housing into cavity.
    13. Add 6.4 quarts of 5w30 oil
    14. Wipe everything clean
    15. Start car and allow to run for 5 minutes. Check drain bolt & filter housing for leaks.
    16. Re-set maintenance reminder.
    17. Shut car off, wait a few minutes and check oil level.
    Not yet, but I will in the next month.

I would use the torque listings on the filter housing to be sure, because "light force" is different for everyone.

Like anything else different, it will take a while for the first change, but it will be a lot easier with the second one.

When I do mine, I'll let you know, and please do the same when you do yours.
    I got my Camry 10/1/09. The dealer misinformed me when she told me it was coming from Japan. First thing I did was check the plate on the door and it said made in Kentucky. I questioned her about it and she still said it came by boat from Japan. I finally got a one of the other people at the dealer to confirm it was from Kentucky. The boat coming from Japan is why I got stuck with the pricey radio. I was told that this was the only one I could get in the desired color unless I wanted to wait until end of October.

Regarding the Vacuum Fluorescent Display lights. I have driven the car mostly during the day but took a couple of drives at night just to check out the radio and dash lights and also enjoy the free 3 months XM satellite radio (awesome). Last night I was driving in the rain. At first it was fine but once it started raining harder I had a big problem seeing the road. I thought my window had fogged up. I turned the defrost on even though I had rubbed the window to check and see if it was fogged. No fogged window and the problem was very scary. Lucky I was almost home and I was the only car on my road. I kept changing lights from dim to bright. The problem was worse with bright lights for sure but with dims on I could not see but about 50 feet in front of me. It was not until later after I got home that I thought about the post from a member complaining of back-glare on windshield. At the time I was driving all I could think about is trying to stay on the road. I thought back to years ago when I tried Rain-X one time and how it actually made it harder for me to see out the windshield. So at the time I was thinking that maybe the whole car including the windshield was covered with some sort of wax or something that could possibly be causing this vision problem. I love the car so far but this back-glare or whatever it is could be a big problem.
    Note, once again that I have the Vacuum Fluorescent Display radio lights, so I cannot say if those with standard radio are having experiencing this also. I will have to wait for next night time rain or similar condition before I can see if it happens again and also turn off radio/dash lights to see if his eliminates the problem. The AC, Fan and Fan Direction knobs seem to put out more light then the radio but not sure if the Fluorescent light is causing whatever I am experiencing. I would advise others considering a Camry to test drive at night (especially during rain) to see for yourself. Again, I hope that it is just something on the outside of windshield that will go away after awhile but I am unsure. I wish I had a video camera. I would film it and post on Utube and send to Toyota if it continues.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    The only explanation I have is perhaps, catching Ford to the edge of bankruptcy?? why would Toyota ever wants to do that? :P Yes Ford is in better shape than D2 and all, but...

Toyota catch up with Ford..??

Toyota has a viable, highly viable, upscale luxury lineup.

Ford has..??

Ford, needs, desperately, an "LS400".

Ford EcoBoost...PURELY a marketing SHAM...!!

Ford Exploder...not with the tires PROPERLY inflated, or add a set of lowering springs and you have a STELLARLY SAFE SUV.
    Your salesperson is not great - I would not trust her at all. Very few Camry's come from Japan, most come from Kentucky. She knew (or should have known) where your Camry was coming from - that was either a lie or a bad assumption.

I still have not had any visibility problems, at night in the rain or otherwise, and I have a 2007 (same lights, etc. as the 2010) AND a 2010. The one thing that you should do is wash the inside of the windows, because the new plastic fumes create a foggy film on the windows. Of course, you should wash the outside too. All new cars have this problem, especially for the first 6 months, or more.
    "..back-glare from the windshield..."

No, NOT, NYET...!!

You're human, with human eyes.

You were experiencing the same problem as someone driving along in those conditions with fog lights AND main beams illuminated. Your distance night vision was compromised by the close-in lighting, like fog lights, of the instrument panel and "facade".

Let's be sure I'm talking the same language...

About a year ago I drove a Camry in much the same contidions your describe, night, rain. Within 15-20 minutes I was considering pulling over and finding, pulling, the fuse for that weird lighting, back-lighting, of the entire center dash area.

If I owned a Camry with that "feature" it would get disabled IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the Camry. No it is not the film on the windshield, its the dash lighting. Most people this wouldn't bother, but those of us whose eyes tend to be sensitive at night, its a big problem. If the windshield were an issue you would notice it driving into the sun, and the glass would be gray and not clear. What happens is the light is coming up from below and refracting off your cornea reducing your night vision, its not really noticeable until external vision is reduced by headlight glare, or dimming by fog or rain, then its a definite problem. My mother has night vision issues, and while driving her home that night, she couldnt even see past the windshield until I turned it all off. A video camera unfortunately wont capture what you are experiencing though unless you can modify the lens to mimic how your eye catches the light. Someone in the back seat though may be able to get video that would show that the road is barely visible in those circumstances. Now you know why I switched to a Ford. Not to knock Toyota, but when you put 500 miles week on a car, its the little things like that that can make you not want the car anymore.

BTW they do not build any Camry's in Japan, only in Kentucky, the ones coming from Japan are the Lexus versions of the Camry, the ES300.
  • chuks2chuks2 Member Posts: 8
    Abhijit,

Would you please let me know which dealer was quoting for 18500 ?
    Is it in NJ?
    There is no video camera that will have the ability to closely "replicate", closely "enough", the function of the human eye with respect to varying light conditions, especially fairly bright close-in lighting.

A video camera with a wide-angle lens, a good automatic apperture system, and light meter there would be little doubt that distant objects would fade to BLACK as nearby peripheral lighting levels are raised.

That's also why I have NEVER understood so many cars, mostly of asian origin, having the ability, ONLY, to use the fog lights along with main beams. The only real usefulness of fog lights, LEGALLY, is in daytime foggy conditions and ALONE.
    "If the windshield were an issue you would notice it driving into the sun, and the glass would be gray and not clear"

I disagree based on my first-hand experience. I only notice that the inside of the windows need to be cleaned when the sun is down, NOT in the daytime.

Again, this complaint about lack of visibility due to interior lighting is NOT at all a common complaint about the 2007 - 2010 Camry. Personally, I have 3 years of experience with it and it has not ever caused me or my family a problem. Do a Google search - you probably won't find many others complaining that they cannot see.

Finally, some newer Camrys DO come from Japan. Very few, maybe none right now, but I have personally seen a few 07's and 08's with the J VIN, and I have seen some knowledgeable people posting on another site that their Camry was built in Japan. They also recently built some '09s in Indiana at a Subaru plant. I don't know about the '10s, but you could do a search and find out for sure.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I agree. Much ado about nothing.

All modern cars "outgas," that is, the plastics in the interior deposit a film on the inside of the glass over time. I still have to clean the glass of my 11-year-old Nissan Frontier. To me, it's most noticeable when driving directly into the sun.

I've found that wiping the glass with sponge dampened in clean water and then wiping it dry with a clean, dry cotton towel is all that is necessary. The important thing is to not let the water dry on its own, which will form spots.

Obviously, you also have to clean the outside of the glass periodically, with car wash soap, water, and your favorite drying method.
    "...not at all a common complaint.."

Provided you do not already know, you will eventually discover that as we humans age our vision, night vision, and more especially color night time rendition, continually declines. So, how many of us older folks own one of the newer Camrys and have encountered a night time foggy or raining situation...??

"..you probably won't find many.."

On the other hand if you bother to ASK enough Camry owners.....
    ".. Much ado about nothing.."

Until upon a dark and stormy night you encounter a deer in the road that you didn't see in time as a result of the detrimental effects of close in lighting inside the car on your night time distance vision.

And the subject matter "here" is not about interior windshield film/coating from out-gassing, nor from nicotine.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    My mom's '07 was built in Japan. There are fewer and fewer being built in Japan (for export to the U.S.) and Toyota's original plan was to build all Camrys in the U.S. by 2008 or so. Last year, a friend was looking for a '09 4cyl SE made in Japan and couldn't find any on the west coast.
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    My 2010 Camry was built in Japan...
    (It has a J for the first digit in the VIN)

Its a 2010 Camry LE V6

I actually wanted one that was built here in the US, but I was a C4C, and thus wasn't able to specifically order one.
    That's what I thought. Good that we were able to clear-up that mis-information that was posted earlier.
    Not sure we are all on the same page.
    #1- How many of you have the Vacuum Fluorescent Display radio?
    #2- Have not sold my 98 Accord yet and never experienced this problem. I don't experience anything like this when driving it in rain, fog etc. I drove it two weeks ago in rain with no problem, so unless my eyes developed a problem in the last week, there is something going on.
    I will have to wait for another rainy night and check it out in more detail. I do find it encouraging that there are not more complaints about this glare or whatever is making it hard to see. I cannot imagine passing a car when experiencing it but then again car lights coming at you may help to see the road:)
    Regarding the salesperson telling me the car was on a boat coming from Japan. that was pure BS. Later I asked her for the boat's name because I thought it would be cool to track it after I googled that other people did that. she balked at giving me the name. That was when I started having doubt about it coming from Japan but she still assured me after I showed her the Kentucky plate on the door. I very much doubt the salesperson did not know where the car was coming from. I got fooled and it cost me an option that I did not need or want, but I did not want to wait a month. I am sure the wait a month story was bogus too. My car was made last month according to door plate.

If there is a film or something fogging up the inside of the window it was not rubbing off that night. The outside wipers were working fine. The lights shine much farther down the road then my 98 Accord during normal night driving.
    I might try spraying the windshield with a hose at night but it may be hard to duplicate driving along the highway. I remember that seeing the road ahead got bad when it was raining hard but it was not like having difficulty just because it was raining hard. I know that does not make sense if you have not experienced it.

I guess the easiest thing to do is to just turn the dash/radio lights off next time it happens during the rain and see if the view gets better.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, I've already hit and killed a deer 11 years ago in my relative youth. It was deep twilight, and the deer ran out from my left. I had no time to react -- just hit it square on.

I think I'm only a little younger than you and have been told that my eyes are beginning to develop cataracts. Still, I don't notice anything unusual at night, except not being able to discern the wording on signs in the distance the way I used to.

Personally, I think headlight effectiveness is a more important factor in outward visibility at night than distractions from interior lighting. (I also keep my instrument lights fairly dim.) I can report that my prior generation Camrys ('04 and '05) have far better headlights than the '90 Sable I used to own. I very rarely use the foglights on the '05, because we generally don't have fog here, at least at the times I drive most often.
    Some years ago in MT I learned that at night(***) with a relatively heavy snowfall if I turned off ALL the interior lights my forward distance vision improved significantly and my eyes did not grow tired so quickly.

No residual or street lights an virtually no oncoming traffic..Montana.
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    I have the Vacuum Fluorescent Display radio in my 2010 Camry LE V6.

I have not yet noticed the problem that the OP was alluding to.

I am in Minnesota, and as such, we do get lots of cold and snow, (UGH!), which will cause a lot of the foggy window problems, so I am definitely going to be watching this closely to see the radio lights do during the winter.
    Not everyone will be affected by it, mainly those who have glare issues, or night blindness, or on on the verge of night blindness, susceptible to cataracts. I wear glasses, and any light coming from below me will affect my vision.
    I will say that I don't have the brightness setting on high. I have mine only about 1/2 way up, or maybe a little less, between dark and the most-bright setting.
  • renew2renew2 Member Posts: 23
    Have not noticed any problem with the diplay... I do a lot of early morning driving before the sun is out and occasionally foggy. Have not noticed anything unsual.

2010 Camry SE
    skilau- I think your the first reply that has the Vacuum Fluorescent Display radio. I don't know if the regular radio is much different regarding the lights or radio sound quality. I still don't know what exactly Vacuum Fluorescent Display means but I don't feel bad since Toyota did not either. They also could not tell me if it was he same radio with added gizmos but I will say it sounds much better then the Accord.
    Let me know how it goes when driving at night in a pretty good rain. I don't mean a downpour but just a pretty good shower. By the way I was driving along a dark country road when it happened so it was not a problem from street lights or other cars coming at me. I drove in a very light rain last night but could not repeat the problem. I also tried turning the dash & radio lights down to medium and very low but did not notice any huge reflection change on the windshield. I am still hoping that it was some kind of wax or coating that was sprayed on the whole vehicle after it was built that has now since worn off. We have storms in the area tonight, so I think I will take a short drive. Gives me an excuse to listen to the XM radio some more:) Did you get the 3 months free XM? I hope to drive to the Smokies in a week or so and the XM would be very nice. Today I did notice that I wish the radio buttons were where the AC knobs are at since I do play with the stations a lot. Have not mastered changing the station on steering wheel yet. I tried changing stations that way and lost all my presets. Gotta read my manual more.

Minnesota eh? Can you say Super Bowl? You guys now have my favorite player- Favre (Packer fan since the Ice Bowl) so I am a Vikings fan at least this year. They are looking good so far. Ravens will be another big test.
  • bxsmith82bxsmith82 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone can buy the 2010 SE Camry 4 cylinder with option below?

2010 Toyota Camry
    Style: SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
    Exterior Color: Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Interior Color: Ash premium cloth

Options:
    SK Smart Key System
    EH Heated outside mirrors

Thanks,
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.