Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    Are you selling or wanting to know if you can buy it as you listed? Going to Toyota website shows the Heated outside mirrors & Smart Key System listed as options. Also shows the Heated outside mirrors as part of package. http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html?trim=2546
    What was odd was looking at local dealers websites when buying my car. I looked at the Accessory Catalog page (most dealers in southeast have the same page) I wanted alloy wheels. They had the alloy wheels listed for around $400.00 but they had the exact same wheels listed as the Extra Value Package listed below for $185. Of course I went with the $185.00 deal. I noticed that Toyota has since changed the website and are still offering the $185.00 deal but the pricier (rims) wheels are now a different brand and more expensive. http://nextgen.toyotaweb.org/inventory/accessoryAdvantage.aspx?dealerId=25&secto- k=&seriesId=2&modelID=1385

Packages LE Extra Value Package -$185- * Includes 16-In 7-Spoke Alloy Wheels with P215/60R16
    I called Michelin about the tires that come standard on my Camry trying to find out the warranty and there is none. I thought that was not fair. They told me to expect 15-20k out of them.
    I am very happy with my 2010 Camry LE. What a comfortable ride.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    OEM tires are usually pretty crappy, so don't be surprised when they wear out quickly or have lousy traction. In both the Prius I had and the Camry, the tires had poor wet traction, and after 33K the tires on the Camry were nearly bald. It is possible when you purchase the car, ifyou put out a bit of cash, the dealer can install a set of tires that you want on it, after you have researched and found a tire you like.
    Wish I would of known amount the soso tires before I bought the car, but they probably would of jacked the tire price up. I was very surprised when i was car shopping that Honda had crappier tires on their Accord LX compared to their EX since I would think they would want to cover up the Accord's road noise and bumpy ride. The noise and ride were factors in helping me decide to switch from Accord to Camry after owning Honda's since 1980.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Whats funny is the Fusion Sport is even quieter and smoother riding than the Camry. And that is with 225/45R18 tires on it.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    In looking at the aftermarket window vent visors for the side windows on the Camry, has anyone here installed them?

I have found some of the tape-on and in-window-channel styles available, just curious if the latter style work well or to just go with the tape-on style.
  • bxsmith82bxsmith82 Member Posts: 4
    Pixshooter, thanks for your response.

I want to buy a car as I posted. All NW dealer said the SE 2010 Camry does not come with SKS installed and the interior has to be "Dark Charcoal"

Just wonder anyone can install Smart Key System (SKS) after market?

If I could not get the SKS on the SE Camry, I rather buy the LE model. It is one thousand less.

Thanks,

Bill
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    If the LE is only a "grand" cheaper than the SE, you should grab the SE..It's a much better car than the std LE..The suspension on the LE and XLE is pure junk and the other added features of the SE make it nice handling car with a solid feel.

Personally the SE is the only Camry product I would own for it should retain it's value much better than any LE..The cushy ride of the LE gets pretty loose after a few miles,and Toy cranks out LEs like popcorn..

The SKS option can be had on an SE..sothat's should not be hard to find..I am on the hunt for a SE w/sunroof only, and will take floor mats..at their high price..Never owned a [non-permissible content removed] car,however the SE is my pick w/4 banger power..Prefer the V-6, however resale of the 6 is iffy..Gas prices will go out of sight in 2010 and the 4 banger will cruise at 80 and get 28mpgs..

I do have a 2002 XLE in the garage which I fed gas and maintence dollars on and it is near 77k miles, needing tires and brakes in spite of it's pristine condition, but it has aged well in Fla..suspension is sloppy so the handling is horrible..

Good luck on your Camry chase..The LE with it's plastic wheel covers is a real laugh combined with steel rims and you have farm tractor..Don't get the wheel upgrade on any LE,waste of money, improves looks, but the handling is still iffy..
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "The suspension on the LE and XLE is pure junk"

Well, most people like it, so I guess that's a bit of an exaggeration.

The other difference between the 4 cylinder 2010 SE and the LE, base, XLE 4 cylinder is the engine tuning. The SE is tuned to give more horsepower.

The V6 MPG is very close to the I4. If you don't mind the extra up-front cost, I'd get the V6. I think it is only a few mpg different?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd get the V6. I think it is only a few mpg different?

3 mpg. (19/28 - 23 combined for V6 ; 22/32 - 26 combined for the 4-cylinder auto)

If the 4-cylinder feels adequate, I'd say go for the extra mileage! Relatively cheap gas isn't here for the long haul I'd bet.
    Bill I would call Toyota or another dealer about that dark interior. Living in the south there is no way I want dark interior. I got the Silver Metalica exterior color and would of preferred my interior just a tad darker to cover up future dirt etc.. I am loving the LX ride so far. I only have 750 miles. Planning on a trip to the Smokies next week and curious how fast I can drive on interstate? Manual says don't drive at high speeds for first 994 miles. How did they come up with 994? LOL What is high speed? 80? 90? Sold my 98 Accord EX w/156,650 miles on it for $4550.00 today. That was another great thing about Hondas was the resale value. I hope the Camry hold's it's value as well. I checked with my Insurance company (State Farm) and found out that the Camry cost about $100.00 more per year for full coverage compared to Accord. Ouch! I see Fusion mentioned. How much will the Fusion depreciate in 10 years compared to Camry or Accord? Another factor to think about when buying.
  • terri12terri12 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone noticed a kind of clicking noise when their car gets between 9 and 10 mph? Coming from the front passenger side. This doesn't happen everytime I accelerate to 10 mph but it does happen anytime after my car has been off. Wanted to see if anyone else has heard this before I take to dealership for repair.
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    My oil cap on my camry shows 0w20 but when the toyota dealer changed the oil they put in 5w30. I questioned this and they said they were very similar. Is 5w30 ok to use in the 4-cylinder camry 2010 ?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The 5W20 is probably better for the engine while the 0W20 is better for FE.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That's the ABS braking system doing a self test. There's a write up in the owners manual. It will go away over time, so that you don't even hear it. The pump is in the front right corner engine compartment.
    Many 2010 Camry owners and service techs have been going round and round about this oil issue. I will post my latest mail from them. I emailed them because every time I called Toyota toll free number I would get some employee that you could tell was reading from the manual. Here is my email and reply. I ask all 2010 Camry owners to call and let us know what they tell you. It is ridiculous. They need to make a decision and stick with it. I hope we don't have to use 0w20. I saw it at Walmart the other day and it was down to 7.00 a qt. Yipes!

My email> I am very disappointed in trying to get information from Toyota. After calling the toll free CA. number (800-331-4331) and local dealers I get various answers for the same question. Does Toyota have a number that I can call and talk to someone that honestly knows what they are talking about or do all representatives just read out of the manual?
    I just bought an 2010 Camry LE. I almost declined because I could not get my questions answered.
    1. What motor oil to use? Calling the above number I have gotten 3 different answers. 0W-20,5W-20 and 5w-30. Why did I call 3 times? Because my closest dealer uses 5w-30 unless 0W-20 is requested.Another dealer did not have 0W-20. Calling the 800-331-4331 number and one time I was told if I don't use 0W-20 it will void the warranty and then same person talked with someone else and told me that that was incorrect, manual was incorrect and oil cap was incorrect. Why can't Toyota get the info correct for all parties involved? On one call I told rep that there is a Toyota Camry Forum and you can see the confusion on the forum> http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5346 People at the 800-331-4331 number told me they would post a official notice on the forum. I waited a week and called back to ask why there was nothing posted and this time I was told that Toyota does not post on forums. Meanwhile we are just as confused. I certainly don't want to spend $8.00 per qt of oil if not necessary. Finance officer where I bought the car from ''Quality Toyota'' said to use 0W-20.
    2. I had to get a Camry with special radio or wait until end of October. I was told the car was on a boat coming from Japan. I questioned that the car was coming from Japan and was assured it was. Received car yesterday and another staff member told me it was made in Kentucky. So i ended up paying extra for a radio that I did not need.
    I was curious about one feature 'Vacuum Fluorescent Display' and tried to find info online. I was worried about the radio because I read online that Fluorescent Display was very bright and you could not dim the radio light. Once again I called the 800-331-4331 number. Person told me that the radio could not be dimmed. I called local dealer to see if they had one in stock so I could look at night. They did. They also told me that the radio light turned various colors.(Still trying to discover that feature)Anyway I drove the 55 mile round trip drive and checked the radio out w/salesperson. First thing he did was dim the dashboard light which in turn dimmed the radio, so it was not a problem but it would of been nice not of had to of bought upgraded radio.
    AM/FM CD player with integrated satellite radio [6], MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® [7] connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® [8] wireless technology, Vacuum Fluorescent Display, six speakers and in-glass antenna

I need to be able to get competent answers for future questions and or problems. Everyone is still up in the air on the proper oil to use. a typical link on the subject> http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
    My complaint is not about the dealership. I want competent answers to the oil question and future questions. Note; On this Better Assist You Q/A there is no 2010 CHOICE SO I HAD LEFT IT BLANK AND HAD TO RESEND BECAUSE OF TIMEOUT!!!! GOOD GRIEF!!

Toyota Reply> Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your interest in the Camry and we are sorry for any confusion generated by our office.

Our position regarding the oil directly conforms with what you have available in the Owner's Manual. Your vehicle, per our records, is a four-cylinder model. The four-cylinder is supplied from the factory with synthetic 0W-20 oil, and this is our primary recommendation. However, 5W-20 petroleum-based (conventional) oil may be used as well. The 5W-30 petroleum-based oil is recommended for the six-cylinder engine, which does not apply to your situation.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via email or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, and from 7 AM to 4 PM Saturday.

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters.

Robert Browning
    Toyota Customer Experience
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    I can confirm the 2010 V6 oil recommendation.

I have a 2010 LE V6 Camry.
    On my Engine Block, as well as the manual, says to use 5W-30.
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    I have a '10 Camry SE. After I hit the 1K miles [break-in], I drained and refilled with synthetic 5W20 Valvoline. I usually do this with my new cars to free the new engine of metal shavings. I was so disappointed to feel that performance has changed. The engine was a bit noisy. The Walmart I went to does not have the 0W20 so I bought the 5W20 and thought this may not hurt it. Having noticed the difference with the 5W20, I changed back to M1 0W20 after a week. I only felt the difference a few days after. The price I got at another Walmart for the M1 0W20 was 6.27 whereas @ the dealer = 8.99.

I have asked a service adviser what type of oil would a change need, see my post
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1910a4/412#MSG412
    I don't know what he means with regular, must be 5w20 or 5w30 non synthetic.

As for me, I would just stick to synthetic 0W20. May not try other brand than M1.

I also noticed that the engine runs smoother with Shell rather than Mobil. This is both 87 octane. With other Shell that has ethanol mixed in, it's different like Mobil.

That's just my experience.
    What kind of gas mileage are you 2010 Camry 4 cylinder owners getting? My first new car in 30 years. Is it supposed to be awful mpg during break in period? I drive very conservative and have been getting around 20-25 mpg. Only have around 800 miles on it so far. I'm waiting for that 30 plus mpg.
    I'm trying to remember back on my 2007, I think it was by about 2K miles I would get over 30 on highway trips.
    My 2010 I-4 is at 2,200 miles, and I am getting an average of 31.4 mpg on my commute to work, which is great! This is a mix of 2 lane highway with traffic lights (65%), and 35% city (not heavy traffic).
  • blin279blin279 Member Posts: 21
    Hi pixshooter,
    I've had 1,300 miles on my new 2010 LE I4, purchased a month ago. On the first tank of gas (87 regular) I was getting ~29.5 mpg. Then I tried 89 (plus) and I've got ~32.4 mpg. The commute was 70% hgwy/30% city. >32 mpg is pretty much what I
    had on 2007 Corolla LE.
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    I just bought a I4 Camry over the weekend and drove it back home - about 700 miles. I drove conservatively - break in and all that. Did between 65-70 MPH and I got on average 37.4 MPGs. I am NOT kidding, the last stage of the trip I got over 38 MPGs. I am surprised to say the least! The worst was 29.8 MPGs after spending almost 3 hours in ATL traffic with AC on.
    Yes, they get good MPG.

Hopefully you did not stay at the same speed for this trip for long periods of time - owner's manual says to vary your speed for the first thousand (750?) miles.
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    No, I did not stay at same speed. I used the CC for a few mins - just to see how it worked, and the rest of the time I changed the speed a bit - +/- 10MPH or so. Its hard to vary more than that when semi trucks are trying to run you over!
  • nananomnananom Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I would like to know at what mileage or time is it best to have first oil change on 2010 Camry.Thanks for all inputs.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    Yes, 210delray is correct - that's what your owner's manual says.
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    My brother inlaw was considering a Toyota until he found out about all these issues!

"Toyota issued the largest recall in company history, affecting 3.8 million vehicles dating back to 2004".

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-closer-look-at-toyotas-sudden-acceleration-problem- - - .html

They designed a car with out a kill switch and a poorly designed accelerator pedal, and then blame it on the car owner which installs a floormat and not aware of the 3 second kill delay?
    Not so "Smart"

Here are some additional information about Toyota's quality and engineering practices:

"Consumer groups are watching and If the allegations are correct that Toyota destroyed or withheld (electronic) data, it has the potential to reopen hundreds of Toyota rollover cases."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-09-01-rollover-lawsuits-toyota_N.htm

"Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge."

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

:lemon:
    jd
    Please list the cars with a "kill switch", in the order that you would recommend them, so we can all make better informed purchases.

#1 is ....
    #2 is ....
    The floormat thing is completely overblown. If you follow the directions (use the floor mat hooks and don't put a mat on top of another mat) you will have NO problems. I speak from experience of 3 years with my '07.

I had a car 10+ years ago (not a Toyota) that caused the accelerator pedal to get stuck down because the mats did not have hooks. This can happen to any car that uses cheap aftermarket floormats and no hooks. Why do all the makers have the hooks for mats? Should everyone recall them because people are not smart enough to use the hooks and/or follow directions? The dumbing-down of America!

The problem was the DEALER did not use the hooks, and they put a mat on top of another. Go after the dealer, not Toyota.

But, whatever, tell him to buy a Chevy. I see you posted this in the Corolla section too - I guess he was interested in a Corolla too?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yeah, just tell him to buy a Buick with the 3.8-liter V6, plastic intake manifold, and Dex-Clog. ;)
    I found this one from YouTube. Special thanks to the guy who shared this to Camry owners.

OIL CHANGE
    I finally got another fill up after 300 plus miles and this time got 31 mpg. Mostly city driving and some interstate. I am probably a little driving faster and taking off from dead stop a little faster then I thought I was doing, because the car drives so smooth. I noticed I was cruising at 70 on the interstate and it felt like I was going 55. I am now at 900 miles, so my break in period will be over before I go to the mountains next week.
    I was recently told (hearsay) that some cars now have a "kill switch" in that if you even lightly touch the brake pedal DBW is used to instantly drop the engine to idle.

Good, GREAT idea that's been too long coming....

But frankly these new cars that do not use an ignition key probably do need a "kill switch"...!!
    Basically, the Avalon and the Camry have the same oil filter cartridge/housing.
    In the Youtube video, the plastic tube was not used.

Here's a more detailed procedure why the need for the tube during oil change.
    I found this from another forum and please save the pdf in your hard drive.

Oil_Change

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    "Kill Switch" definition:
    An ignition key or (for Keyless ignition) a push button which will "immediately' shut off the Toyota's engine in case of a stuck accelerator pedal or malfunctioning computer controlled throttle.

This "Kill Switch" will let you kill your Toyota before it ............................ fill in the blank.

Toyota never ceases to amaze me on their crazy design practices, and the "Toyota can do no wrong" mentality.
    That oil filter change video on that Toyota Camry is a comedy!
    Most oil filters are 1 piece. This Toyota filter is in 4 pieces with a seperate filter paper, that's crazy!

Also, it has an acceleration pedal that is so poorly designed, that it sticks, if you do not have the "perfect" floor mat!
    So, if the floor mat catches the accelerator pedal or computer controlled throttle
    malfunctions, the keyless start/stop feature cannot be enabled in a "WIDE OPEN THROTTLE" until it is held down for 3 seconds.
    In 3 seconds you can be at 45mph!
    How many seconds would it take you to figure this "3 second feature" out if you're in panic mode and accelerating towards 100mph!?

Toyota designed a modern "Christine", not just one! .... 3.8 Million!

(Christine is a horror novel by Stephen King, published in 1983. It tells the story of a vintage automobile apparently possessed by supernatural forces.)

Seriously, people are getting killed in Toyota acceleration problem cars, it's a Toyota problem.

jd
    Floor mat problem...

Has happened to me twice in the past ~10 years. First was in a new Mazda Miata test drive. The dealer had installed a protective floor mat which slipped forward under the brake pedal but over the gas pedal. The second was just 2 or 3 years ago and again in a Mazda but this time in a rented minivan. The floor mats were not secured and the same thing happened, step on the brake and the car surges forward.
    Some people that are anti-Toyota are spinning this thing to say that Toyota is the devil. Funny, an independent mechanic I talked to today said that this whole floor mat thing is completely overblown, and he said the same thing I've been saying - it is not a problem, just use the hooks and don't stack up mats. He said that it was a terrible thing that happened to those people, but he put the blame on the dealership that made two big mistakes. He also went on to tell me that other cars can have the same problem! My advice to the people who seem to want to blame Toyota for everything - watch out, your favorite automaker will suffer from this whole thing - it will cost them too!!! If this one dealer did not make this very stupid mistake, we would not have this discussion.

About the oil filter - a lot of the makers are going to this new design because you don't throw away nearly as much - just the actual filter and two small O-ring gaskets. I speak from experience - it is NOT hard to do, very easy, actually. It took about 10 minutes longer on my first time changing it. It will be even easier next time. More spinning.....
    "...spinning this.."

But it is frustrating to think that in the case in point shifting the transaxle into neutral did not (seemingly) work. Additionally with the new non-key ignition there really should be an automatic engine KILL with hard braking. 3 seconds of hard braking, maybe..??

"...it is not a problem.."

Yes, only a problem for those now dead.
    I don't look forward to changing my oil that's for sure. That new filter really disappoints me. I hope it is really a new/very improved filter and not something to make us bring the car in dealer to have it done. Oil change was one of the few things I could do in the past. I looked at these steps and went wtf?
    You provided great photos and steps but I still am wondering if they were thinking about the average car owner when they came up with this new design? It will be pricey enough using the synthetic oil. Add labor and whoopie!
    I know some of you have already gone to a mechanic for an oil change. What are they charging?
    I would be scared of Jiffy Lube (our closed) or other oil change store to attempt this. Firestone stripped my out a past Honda oil pan of mine years ago.
    I haven't done the complete oil/filter change except the drain & refill @ 1k. After seeing the video and the pdf file, I think it is easy to do as long as you have the proper tools. In the video, he did the filter before draining the pan but usually I unscrew the drain plug to empty the pan and then the filter.

I am not comfortable getting the o/c from those quick lube places especially JIFFY LUBE. The one near my place closed and an investigative news report on NBC forced Jiffy to close the branch. I was there once for a tranny service - gasket & fluid for a Previa and I noticed the oil guy finished in no time. I thought that was more complicated than an oil change. I was so doubtful of that and never came back to that place.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    I'm guessing the new filter was designed by the same people who did the two piece battery powered mop.
    two piece battery powered mop..Now that is funny!
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    It's the Swiffer Wetjet. A two piece battery-powered mop. And if you get the "large size" bottle it is too heavy for the bottom half of the mop and it separates the mop into two pieces while you're working.. It had to be the same designers!
    I have done it, and it was easier than I thought. Just follow the directions on the filter box. Any questions, let me know.
    "SEEMINGLY" We don't know what happened yet, except that the dealer put in mats on top of the regular mats - bad move on ANY car. Yes, it is a problem for those unfortunate people, and I truly feel bad. However, the DEALER is the problem here. There is no denying that the dealer screwed up. I spoke to a mechanic about this incident - he said the same thing I've been saying all along. He said "Dealer" not Toyota.
    No,...Yes, the dealer screwed up but the main fault lies with Toyota lacking the foresight to realize the short-coming of the new "ignition" system that could not be quickly switched off in an emergency.
    "..dealer put mats.."

At this point in time from what I have read we have no evidence of the floor mat being the actual cause.
    "..apparently caused.."

Very first paragraph.

No one has yet ruled out some sort of mechanical failure.
This discussion has been closed.