Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• bennyboy25bennyboy25 Member Posts: 12
    When I picked up the Camry the other day it had 10 km's on the odometer and a FULL tank of gas. I will report how many km's I am able to get out of it before having to fill it up. I rarely drive on the highway and instead drive alot in the city. I am confident that the car will get great gas mileage even though I am usually in stop and go traffic. We'll soon see.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, I have a 2010 and I use Toyota All Weather rubber mats secured with the hooks. They are great, and they do NOT move at all, and they are 100% safe.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    ".....must learn your specific driving style.."

In that case that would be one very confused Camry, both my wife and I drive and we have VERY different driving styles. She does weight a bit less, perhaps that's how the car tells who is driving..??
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...transmission...doesn't have any problems..."

Downshifting a FWD to facilitate improved FE via fuel cut is not so discomforting with a 4 speed, but with 6(9) speed...?? Besides which, downshifting a FWD vehicle can be fraught with peril on a wintertime adverse condition roadbed.

Additionally Toyota seems to have continued with the transaxle design flaw embedded subsequent to '98.

Google:

Abolition hesitation wwest -dfg
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    This is indeed true! I have brought my car in because it was shifting rough and they reset the computer / Transmission....how I don't know. The car did shift way smoother and after a week or two if shifted smooth as silk! Go figure!
  • blin279blin279 Member Posts: 21
    Hi koho955,
    ...it was shifting rough and they reset the computer / Transmission....how I don't know...
    I've got same problem with my 2010 Camry (was purchased in September 2009). Transmission behaves weird shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (city). I think it's good idea
    to go for service to reset the computer too. What did they say in the invoice when your car had been serviced? A friend of mine has Subaru Impreza. Subaru's manual recommends to reset the computer after first thousand miles. I did'n find anything about it in Camry's manual. Thank you for the info!
    WHO ELSE HAS SAME QUIRK? Please respond.
    I plugged the USB cable from my mp3 player into the port but it's not working. It says something like bluetooth audio player not connected or something. How does this have anything to do with bluetooth? It is really pissing me off. My mother drives a Kia Soul and when I connected my mp3 via the usb cable it worked right away and my music played just fine. Her Soul comes with bluetooth also. I tried reading the manual but can't seem to understand wtf is going on. Can anyone help me with this? What am I doing wrong or what am I not doing? I thought these things were supposed to be easy. My mp3 player is very current. It's a Sony. I know it is not because it is old. All I want to do is play my music. That is one of the reasons why I upgraded to the higher level of Camry. PLEASE HELP! Also, my Camry is supposed to have Sirius satellite radio but there isn't anywhere on the radio that shows the Sirius logo. Is it built into the radio without any advertisment on the outside? I would like to listen to Howard Stern.
    The only thing the invoice says is;
    Check Transmission...shifting rough.
    The tech wrote under that.....Reset Transmission.
    Is was a N/C and it worked.
    koho955, thank you!
    I will go for service to get mine fixed too. I have another story: back of the passenger seat rattles on the rough road. It is pissing me off. We have another Camry in the family: 2003 LE V6. I would say the seats are much better in 2003 model.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    back of the passenger seat rattles on the rough road.

Mine did too if no one was sitting in it. I forgot about that one. It gets real annoying after a while.
    I am not surprised.....

Anyway, this is NOT a common problem with 2007-2009, BUT there are not many 2010s on the road. I know my 2010 does not have any rattles.

In fact, I don't recall ever reading any complaints about that, so yours is the first. Time will tell if it is just yours or a problem with many 2010s. I would guess that it is just yours, because the seats are the same for the 2007 through 2010. Take it to the dealer when you get a chance.
    Hi mcdawgg,
    I'm glad you don't have this problem. I wouldn't say that: ...there are not many 2010s on the road. There are too many 2010s on the road already! For how long have you been driving yours 2010? This rattle appeared after >2 months of driving. I will go for service for sure after Thanksgiving. By the way what was the point of final assembly of your car?
    2010s vs. 2007 through 2009 - not many 2010s that I see, compared to 2007 - 2009, and the 2010s really were not available until late spring of this year, vs. the 2007s that were available in 2006! I still have not read anyone but you with this problem - guess you are just lucky. :) I am not just talking about Edmunds - other websites I check also.

I have had my 2010 for 4 months, and assembly was Georgetown, Kentucky, like the vast majority of Camrys, and I have not found a single thing wrong yet - zero assembly errors, not even a scratch!, and I am VERY picky. Nice to say that about an American built car (assembled in the USA with at least 80% North American components!!).

Please let us know what the dealer finds.
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    I don't have a mp3 player but I was told a flash drive would work. Whoever designed the usb port way up in the dash should be fired. What were they thinking? Don't dare try this while driving. I had to get a flashlight and get on my knees on passenger side to insert flash drive. If using usb make sure it is glowing or it is not connected properly. Very poor place to put this connection. First couple of times the radio did not recognize the usb. Then no problem. I just went on a long trip and brought a flash drive w/around 2000 songs. If you don't make folders by different artist, type of music or however you want to seperate music then you would have 2000 songs in a row. I have a Santana, Clapton, Hendrix, slow music, fast music etc.....Did not have time to make more folders. My radio was the upgraded version with bluetooth, florescent light display and 3 month of Sirius satellite radio. The XM radio came in very handy during my road trip to the mountains 2 weeks ago. Gonna miss the satellite radio but can't see paying the monthly charge. I was hoping it had NFL games but it did not. A couple of times my hand accidentally rubs control on steering wheel and changes station, so I wonder about the control placement on steering wheel. I called the Toyota toll free number with questions about the satellite radio and as usual the person I was connected with did not have a clue to my question and could not find anyone that could help. I have emailed Toyota and informed them that every time I call with a question all they do is get the manual out and read what I have already read. They will tell you to call dealer you brought it from. I reply that I think Toyota should know their product inside and out. I have also noticed that a few times the manual index does not match the page your looking for. I still love the car and will give my pros and cons of it when I get time.
    Finally got the letter from Toyota last week which more or less admitting defect according to NHTSA exists in certain 2007-2010 Camry models. Since 2007????
    WTH? The letter is not dated nor is the envelope postmarked. It tells us what we already know. Remove driver mat until CAMPAIGN REMEDY IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR CAR.
    Sidenote: if your carpet is getting soiled because the mat is not there to protect carpet tough luck suckers. Time for Toyota to get off their butttt and remedy this one way or the other. How many people paid for mats that they are told they cannot use and can decide to pay for off-brand or wait until the lawyers try to get the best deal for Toyota? Sure folks are saying that the mats are safe if we use the clip, but if there is a wreck and the mat is somehow involved, Toyota will say I told you to remove it.
    I have said this a 1,000 times - just use only one floor mat, and it can be either Toyota All-Weather or carpet mat, or a good aftermarket mat, like WeatherTech that is designed for your vehicle. Also, use the hooks to secure the mat. If you do these two things, you don't have to worry AT ALL. This is also in your owner's manual. What I said above applies to ANY car. Given the right circumstances, a mat interfering with the pedals can happen in any car. I had this happen years ago in a Ford and a Mazda.

In the letter, I think they even tell you something like if you choose to continue to use the mats, use the hooks, use only one, and use the correct one.

I have had my 2007 for 3 years, 2010 for 4 months - the mats NEVER move. Think of the odds here - of the millions of these cars on the road, there are only a VERY few problems. The NHTSA has found that in every case (I think it was less than 10), people were using multiple mats or did not have them secured.

This has been WAY overblown by the media and the Toyota-haters. What Toyota is doing is making a change to the accelerator to make it more difficult to interfere with the pedal. But the only reason they are doing this is to accomodate those people that do not have the common sense or intelligence to use floor mats properly. If those people did, we would not be having this discussion right now. The dumbing down of America, and the blame-everyone, sue someone, for any reason society!

Seriously, just use one mat, secure it, and be happy - you will not have any problems.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Disposing of the carpetted mats is a bandaid for a non-existant problem. A little common sense here is in order.

If you have All Weather mats in the vehicle take the driver's side mat out and dispose of it.

If not and you want to be ultra careful put the driver's side mat in the trunk.

However, look at your carpetted mats.
    Are they hooked to the anchors by the seats? If not, hook them.
    In the anchored position can the mats come anywhere near the gas pedal? NO, there's 3-6 inches of room.
    The carpetted mats cannot interfere with the gas pedal...try it yourself.

Use common sense and carry on.

I'm not doing anything with my 2005 Prius mats. They are anchored in place since the day I drove off the lot and they haven't moved one milimetre. The Safety Recall notice is now kitty litter.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm not doing anything with my 2005 Prius mats. They are anchored in place since the day I drove off the lot and they haven't moved one milimetre.

You don't take them out to vacuum? Ewwwwww! :P

This mat thing has sure gotten blown out of proportion.
    "If you have All Weather mats in the vehicle take the driver's side mat out and dispose of it. "

WHY? The All Weather mats don't move at all either. When anchored, they don't come anywhere near the pedals either. And they stay anchored, never move.

Yes, my recall letters were sent to the recycler. And I will not get the pedal changed or remove my mats - no need to.
    "This mat thing has sure gotten blown out of proportion. "

YES, by the media and people who hate Toyota or other so-called imports.
    I spoke with my salesman over the phone today and told him I was not happy with the third party rubber mats he put in my new Camry. I explained that they do not fit the floor properly and are not contoured to the shape of the Camry floor. I went on to tell him that I feel unsafe with the mats since they are unable to be hooked to the floor since there aren't any holes in them. He told me that the rubber mats that were involved in the highly publiscized accident were "Toyota" mats and not a third party mat. I told him that I called Toyota and that they told me that the only rubber mats they recommend to use are Toyota brand rubber mats. He agreed to change out the third party rubber mats with the Toyota brand. They will protect the floor much better and not be able to slide around and potentially get caught up with the accelerator pedal.

I became fed up with trying to make my mp3 player work with the USB cable so I went out today and purchased a Universal Audio Cable Kit witch includes a 3 foot recessed 3.5mm stereo to stereo plug. I plugged one end into the mp3 player and the other into the port right next to the USB port and my music played just fine. The only thing is that when you want to change the song you have to change it on the mp3 player. The stereo controls on the Camry are not able to change the song or ffwd, rwd, pause... In the end I'm just happy that I am able to listen to my own music rather than having to flip through radio stations hoping to come across something worthwhile.

How does the Sirius Satellite radio work? Do you have to pay a monthly fee for the access as well as a fee per radio station you want to hear? I don't know if it is going to be worth the money.
    Wow, your dealer was really trying to feed you a line of ... Good job.
    I thought you were joking. I did not realize that they actually made a battery-powered mop. Have they invented the battery-powered broom yet? :-)
    I picked up my new Camry rubber floor mats today and gave the salesman back the third party mats. Also picked up my rubber trunk liner. Read in the paper today that the recall is "OFFICIAL" in the U.S. Toyota is sending out letters to customers so that the gas pedal can be replaced/fixed. At this point there is still no recall in Canada where I live. I don't understand how U.S. customers will get the fix but here in Canada, Toyota is not doing anything about it. The Camry's that are sold here are exactly the same as in the U.S. Maybe once they get everything sorted out across the border they will do the same here. As far as I am concerned there is no issue with the gas pedal. I like it just the way it is and don't predict any problems arising involving the rubber mat. The mat is hooked down and cannot slide around. My odometer just hit 300 kms and 1/2 tank of gas is gone. I have only been driving in the city except for today when I had to go to the dealer.
  • cjutsoncjutson Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 Avalon XLS and have loved it! Unfortunately, because the mileage is above 100,000 miles, it is time to begin looking for its replacement. I drove the 2010 Avalon and loved the feel but found it to be over 5 inches longer than the 2003. I really like a shorter car. The Camry is about the same length as my 2003 Avalon. Has anyone gone from a fully loaded Avalon to a fully loaded Camry and liked it? What about a Nissan Maxima?
    :confuse:
    I just compared both the 2010 Camry v6 XLE to the 2010 Avalon back to back. They are 2 different cars. The Avalon drives smooth, is super comfy, fast and SUPER QUIET when it come to engine, road and traffic noise. The Camry is OK but the road noise, engine and exterior noise is obtrusive. They both have the same v6 engine.
    The biggest factor is money. I was able to lease a 100% fully loaded Camry v6 XLE with nav, 0 down, 15,0000 miles, 36 months and ALL fee's and taxes rolled in for $360/month. The middle version Avalon (I think it's the XLS) with NO Nav, just the standard features was $690/month with thew same leasing specs.
    I went with the V6 Ford Fusion loaded for $380/month. It blew the doors off the Camry especially when it came to Road and traffic noise!
    I have driven a 2005 Toyota Avalon before which closely resembles the 2010. I found it to be too big. The Camry is just right. I went with the 2010 4cyl version and I must say it is the best car I have ever owned. Road noise, what road noise? Traffic noise, wtf is that? The car is just the right size and drives beautifully. I love it! Fully loaded with all the bells and whistles - what more could you ask for? Not to put down the Ford Fusion but for real, in my opinion it is butt ugly and so generic looking. A real rental car vibe. I don't think there is any comparison. Stick with Camry and save some money over the Avalon. You will not be dissapointed! I do not like the design of the Avalon either. To me it is not appealing. The Camry on the other hand is perfect.
    I may be a little spoiled coming off an Acura MDX that was nice and quiet but what is traffic noise you ask. Pull your 2010 Camry up to a busy intersection and sit and wait to make a left turn for 30 seconds or so. If you can't heart the traffic (road noise) right through the windows like they are open a bit, you need your hearing checked. Or better yet, do that same test in a 2010 Avalon or 2010 Highlander and then go drive your Camry and then tell me how quiet it is. I almost bought the Camry but I couldn't stand the noise factor.
    The Ford does have a "rental car look" but it did win MT car of the year and it drives really nice and this is coming from someone who has never owned a Domestic car in 49 years until last week!
    Perhaps the Camry you drove had a flaw. I am only 31 and I have excellent hearing. Since I have owned my new Camry I have only driven within the city and have been in situations where there has been large volumes of traffic. I really have not heard anything along the lines of what you describe. My Camry is extremely quiet and isolated from the outside environment. For a short period of time I owned a 2008 Highlander Sport which is the same as the 2010 model and I really loved that also but do not notice a difference in terms of traffic/road noise when comparing it to the Camry. I have driven Acura MDX before and must admit that it is an amazing SUV. So luxurious, great design, powerful, spacious, high quality and above average fit and finish. Why would you ever want to go from it to a Ford? It seems like a huge downgrade. When you think back, what were the reasons that made you want to have the MDX? What are the reasons that made you want to try a Ford? All I can think of is that the economy is not the way it used to be and you wanted to save money. You are smart to lease the Ford and not buy it since the resale is a complete killer.
    Yes, that's right, there is no problem, like I've said 100's of times, if you use the hooks and use only one mat. Of course, the haters want you to believe otherwise. They must pray every 5 minutes that something negative happens with Toyota.
    The Camry won the MT car of the year for the 2007 model - I said "so what, who cares" back then, and I say the same thing now.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    True, everyone knows the MT Car of the Year is sold to the highest bidder. :P

Plus, just consider some of the dogs they chose in the past few decades: Chevy Vega, Chrysler's Aspen and Volare, and Renault Alliance, to name a few!
    I don't understand how U.S. customers will get the fix but here in Canada, Toyota is not doing anything about it.

Maybe Toyota figures Canadians are smarter than us Americans! ;)
    Chrysler Aspen won?! I had no idea. That is a complete joke. A rebadged Dodge Durango wins MT car of the year. It was discontinued last year I believe. Now I can see why they gave the award to the Ford Focus. It all makes sense now. Ford must have scraped together all the remaining funds they had left without going completely bankrupt and slid that wad over to MT.
  • xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    I have said this a 1,000 times - just use only one floor mat, and it can be either Toyota All-Weather or carpet mat, or a good aftermarket mat, like WeatherTech that is designed for your vehicle. Also, use the hooks to secure the mat. If you do these two things, you don't have to worry AT ALL

Are you some kind of official Toyota speaker? The official Toyota recall also include 2 additional fixes: replace the pedal with the redesigned pedal; control software change to give brake override power over accelerator. All these fixes may not cure the root cause; rather they are just patch ups to give driver some controls when the problem happens. NHTSA engineers are still investigating the possible root cause of the problem in the electronic engine control system.
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    Aside from recorded audio CD the Camry plays mp3 or wma. I prefer mp3s.
    I ripped some jazz albums to my pc and copied it to a CD, about 8-10 albums .
    You can have continuous music having about 60 albums in the changer.
    I also find using the flash drive inconvenient as you have to bend down
    to really insert it to the usb plug and the mp3 player to the RCA jack.
    Just do this when you are still in your garage, never when the car is in motion.
    The connections should have been on the faceplate or inside the center console
    arm rest. My XM satellite is soon to expire any day now. Aren't we lucky
    we have many modes to enjoy music.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I am not a Toyota fan what-so-ever, but they should have an anti- Toyota forum specifically for posts like yours... I thought this forum was to discuss the 2010 Camry - my mistake.
    No, I don't work in anything automotive-related, but I could post all kinds of negative about Chevy, etc. The mats are the problem (or not using the hooks or stacking up mats). Nobody has any evidence to say anything else. With these fixes, it increases the chances that a few people that do some very dumb things will be okay, even if they stack up mats and don't use the hooks. By the way, it tells you to use the hooks and use only one mat in the owner's manual long before this whole mess started. I bet your favorite brands do not have a smart pedal that cancels the accelerator if you hit the brakes will depressing the gas at the same time. I also bet that they will soon. Maybe I should pray that your favorite brand will get sued before they do? Nah, I'm not doing to do that. It can happen to other cars under the right circumstances, so we will all have the smart pedal soon.

I have had a Mazda and a Ford that had the accelerator stick down on me. Fortunately, I was able to reach down to pull the mats back, but it was just luck or divine intervention that I had enough time to do so. Both of these cars did not have hooks to hold the mats (it was before all makers had them), but I did not call my attorney, get on the internet, etc. I just went out and bought clips at Wallyworld, problem solved. Toyota is going above and beyond what they should have to do here, but some haters ;) pray that Toyota is hiding something and want this to mean that Toyota is a horrible, devil-worshipping, mother-killing, etc. company. I don't post negatives about other companies, nor do I wish the worst for other companies. I am just trying to set the facts straight here, and I own a 2010 AND a 2007 Camry, so I can help people, not just spread false information. I have followed this because I want my family to be safe, but I am not concerned anymore, and will not do the recall - no need to, if you use one mat and use the hooks.

Many try to read lots of "stuff" into this whole thing, like why these "two fixes" are being done. Once again, it is to go above and beyond what they need to do to ensure that if people do not use the hooks and use more than one mat that they will still be okay - that's it. People, specifically, the Lexus dealership in CA, not doing these two things caused the mess, so of course Toyota is going to put in multiple, redundant fixes to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Have a nice day. Let's get back to the 2010 Camry.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Plus, just consider some of the dogs they chose in the past few decades: Chevy Vega, Chrysler's Aspen and Volare, and Renault Alliance, to name a few!

Okay, so lets review:
    Chevy Vega - all aluminum production engine, overhead cams. 10 years ahead of everyone else...except for they forgot to add sleeves to the motor.

Chrysler's Aspen and Volare - A slant 6 that would run forever, a "mid-size" sedan that offered good economy for the 1970s

Renault Alliance - eh, you got me here, although the French offer great ride quality while still offering some handling and it did get reasonably good fuel economy for the time.
    Chrysler Aspen won?! I had no idea. That is a complete joke. A rebadged Dodge Durango wins MT car of the year. It was discontinued last year I believe.

Actually, it was discontinued in 1980. It was a midsize sedan.

Now I can see why they gave the award to the Ford Focus.

Actually, it was the Fusion.

I see details aren't your strong suit. That explains your vehicle selection.
    Well, the Vega seemed ahead of its time, but yes those engine blocks became boat anchors very shortly without those sleeves, plus there were overheating and severe rust problems.

Aspen and Volare -- that slant 6 came out with the 1960 Valiant, so nothing new in 1976, and those cars were bad rustbuckets too.

Alliance -- well you know how that one turned out.
    The SUV market especially the MDX was very cheap to lease until recently. I was paying $550/month and now Acura wants over $700 per month to lease for the base model. Between the crappy economy and the suv lease prices made me go from getting the Highlander ltd which is what i really wanted to a car, thus all the test drives of the Camry, Accord and the Ford Fusion. Love the Fusion and the Microsoft SYNC system. It's supposed to snow this week so that will be the big test!
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Guys..I'm buying a camry le next month, build date is 12/8 and it probably won't have the mods re the gas pedal, etc..I'm not inclined to get the mods done when or if I get the recall notice...just wondering though if not doing so would possibly void insurance coverage and/or lower resale value..any thoughts?

Aspen and Volare -- that slant 6 came out with the 1960 Valiant, so nothing new in 1976, and those cars were bad rustbuckets too.

Do you remember what they were up against? Did the "new" Impala come out that year, and the Riviera? I don't think its hard to win if there isn't much competition.

I also seem to remember they separated the domestic and import COTY up until the 90s I think. Did the Taurus and the Camry both win in '86?
    Guys..I'm buying a camry le next month, build date is 12/8 and it probably won't have the mods re the gas pedal, etc..I'm not inclined to get the mods done when or if I get the recall notice...just wondering though if not doing so would possibly void insurance coverage and/or lower resale value..any thoughts?

Why would you buy a vehicle with a known safety defect and then not get it repaired? My guess is they won't let you assume delivery until the fixes are in-place.
    Don't worry about it. Get it done whenever convenient As long as you use the hooks to hold the floormats, and you don't use more than one floor mat, you will be fine. I know many want to believe otherwise, but there is zero proof of anything except people not using the hooks or using more than one mat. The fixes ensure that if people don't do these two things, they will still probably be ok. I have an '07 and a '10, and I'm not at all concerned.
  • mrghcmrghc Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the hard plastic seat back from the driver's seat.? Dealer refuses to fix a lower seat back hard spot which is me causing pain. Want to look for myself. Thanks!
    Makes me wonder, if the floor mats were indeed the cause, why then the change of the pedal? My 09 TCH did have a surge problem when slowing down, it had nothing to do with the floor mat at all. It didn't happen very often, and when it did, it caught us off guard. Aside from the crappy quality, this was one of the other reasons we decided to get a different car. I had a ScanGuage2 hooked up at one time and caught it happen. The Regen braking was working when it surged, so it wasn't the Regen kicking off causing it, it was a definite engine surge, the ICE was running at the time as it was cold out.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Makes me wonder, if the floor mats were indeed the cause, why then the change of the pedal?

Because its cheaper create a shorter pedal than a new floormat, I'd think. The problem is the floormat contacting the pedal.

I don't see the quandry here, but I may be misunderstanding ya. :)
    Well, from what I remember the pedal is hinged to the floor, so shortening it is questionable.
This discussion has been closed.