Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No, the pedal is suspended from above, as it is true for most cars today (the German makes are an exception.)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Makes me wonder, if the floor mats were indeed the cause, why then the change of the pedal?

I have said this before, but I'll say it again: Because then, when the next person decides to stack up mats and not use the hooks, they still have a decent chance of being ok. That, combined with the smart pedal (brake cancels any depression of accelerator) is what Toyota is doing to try to combat the problem of people doing these two stupid things. And you can bet that all makers will be making changes, specifically, adding the smart pedal software, because only 2 have it now - Toyota will be the third. Otherwise, the ambulance chasers will be going after Ford, GM, etc.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..smart brake.."

A long time coming, l..o....n......g overdue.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Sometimes quick fixes and ever increasing complexity create unforeseen problems down the road..kind of wish the car still had a mechanical gas pedal linkage...correct me if I'm wrong, but as part of the fix, is the engine designed to cut out anytime the brakes and gas pedal are simultaneously engaged? I'm assuming all camrys now have electric power steering so at least that shouldn't be an issue in that scenario..
    The engine won't cut out, it will just return to idle speed if both the gas and brake pedals are pushed at the same time. Most Camrys still have conventional hydraulic power steering assist; only the Hybrid has electric assist.
    Still, Toyota is ahead of most of the other makers in the smart pedals, except VW and one other, maybe MB?
    Yes, even the 2010 still has hydraulic power steering.
    Looks like VW and Audi were the first, back in 2001, followed by BMW in 2005 as I recall. MBs are also equipped, but I don't know the start year. The latest LA Times article claims that Porsche, Nissan, and Chrysler have them also, but I'm skeptical of the last two -- maybe only in the high-performance models?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    "..smart brake.."

A long time coming, l..o....n......g overdue.

I guess in a car like the Camry with no sporting pretensions, or even a manual transmission, there is no reason to heel/toe or rev match.

That might not be so bad, one of the comments about the Mini is the throttle hang is excessive when you release the gas. I was told it was an emissions issue.
    Wrong, you can get the Camry with a manual - I have two, both manuals, 2010 has a 6 speed manual.

Rev hang is an emissions issue with most new manual tranny cars, Honda & Toyota included.
    OK, so no Honda, Ford, GM, Nissan, Mazda, and a maybe on Chryslers. So Toyota is definitely not the last to adopt it.
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    How many can say they have owned a new Accord and Camry? I bought a brand new 2009 Accord LX in September. I swore by Honda and owned 4 since 1980. The new Accord was more noisy, bumpy and seat was very uncomfortable. My main concern was the Accord's new steering wheel design. I have a permanent neck injury and if I drive constantly with both hands at normal driving positions I get neck pain. So when on open road I drive with a hand at bottom of the wheel at times, as many of us do. The Accord's new design will not let you put your hand at bottom of the steering wheel unless you have very tiny hands. I could jam 3 fingers in the space. Not safe! I did not notice the steering wheel during 2 test drives because during the drives I was being very careful using both hands on the wheel. I bought the Accord and during the 50 mile ride home over a variety of roads i then noticed the road noise, bumpy ride and then the no hand on bottom of the wheel. I was so disappointed. I called the dealer the next day and even though I was unhappy with the car's over all drive I was willing to keep it and pay extra for a different style steering wheel. Dealer said we could trade for another model Honda and I would loose around $2,000.00 since I had driven it home. I called Honda Corporation and explained my disability and my willingness to pay for a different steering wheel. They said I could probably get another steering wheel at a custom shop but it would void my warranty. I drove the car 2 more times trying to convince myself that I could learn to like the car but ended parking it with 200 miles on it. At the same time I also drove to Toyota dealer and tested the 2010 Camry twice. i wanted a 2009 but they were all sold. I could not believe how much more quiet the 201o Camry was. The ride was much smoother and I melted in the seats. The interior may not of been as fancy as the Accord but I was very happy with it. I honestly did not like the look of the latest Accord design. I bought it for its history of quality.

This was my first experience with Toyota and I was very pleased. I have talked with other new Accord owners that are very happy with their cars. It was just not the car for me. So, I ended up having to pay another $2,000.00 and trade my 2009 Accord LX for a 2010 Camry LE. I just went on a 1700 mile trip to the mountains and it was a joy to drive. Are there things I am unhappy about with the Camry? Yes.. I want to change my own oil and I am still unsure on how to do it with this new design. I can call Toyota customer service number or seperate dealers and still get various answers on which oil to use. Here is letter I got after contacting Toyota 4 or 5 times> (thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate your interest in the Camry and we are sorry for any confusion generated by our office. Our position regarding the oil directly conforms with what you have available in the Owner's Manual. Your vehicle, per our records, is a four-cylinder model. The four-cylinder is supplied from the factory with synthetic 0W-20 oil, and this is our primary recommendation. However, 5W-20 petroleum-based (conventional) oil may be used as well. The 5W-30 petroleum-based oil is recommended for the six-cylinder engine, which does not apply to your situation)
    I love the USB (brought a flash drive on my trip with 2000 songs) but the USB outlet is in a ridiculous area to get to. No way you can be driving and trying to fiddle with it. Plus there is a chance of breaking it if you try to store anything in there with it. The armrest storage is a crap design. There is a tray that is very hard to move in the storage area. Not happy with the storage areas on back of seats. I don't know about other 2010 owners but I have to slam my trunk to get it to shut. I thought it was a defect so I tried another one at the dealer and it was hard to close also. Gas mileage has varied from 35 mpg on the freeway to 25 mpg in the mountains. I am expecting better gas mileage around the city but a part of the problem is the car drives so smooth, I don't realize that i am driving faster then I should. I am disappointed that an alarm is not standard with the Camry. I have really enjoyed the XM radio but will not pay for monthly fee after it expires in December. Inside lights could be better. Regarding the floor mat issue. I read people saying over and over that it is just people not hooking them correctly but have read some reports of some odd acceleration that has not been proven one way or the other. On my trip I used cruise control often. I am curious about something that you owners that live in hilly areas can answer. I know to not not use cruise control in the mountains. But I was using cruise in very gentle slopes while on the interstate and there were a few times that the car lurched forward when making minor adjustment to slight incline. Is this normal? Over all I am very happy with my Camry. If i run into any other issues I will report them here but will soon be switching to the Toyota forums because there are other threads mixed in with these that don't pertain to my car and i want feedback from Camry and Toyota owners. Here is the link. http://www.camryforums.com/forum/index.php I have enjoyed chatting here.
    Regarding the oil change, I've done it on my 2010 4 cylinder, and it is easy. I use 0W20 Mobil1 oil, just because the owner's manual says to use it. The manual also says you can use 5W20, but it should be changed to 0W20 as soon as possible, or something like that. The instructions are on the filter box (I only use Toyota filters). You can also find a video on it on Youtube, because the Avalon and some other models have the same new cartridge filter design.

Trunk closes fine, I would not say you have to slam it, but your opinion may vary. The tray in the armrest storage - no complaints here, but I bet some would complain if it moved too easy. You could always put a light coat of white lithium grease or silicone spray to make it move easier.

Floormats - nothing proven, except people not using the hooks or using more than one mat. I also have a 2007, same pedal and mat design, zero issues. The mats never move at all.

Cruise - don't know, no complaints, I have a manual tranny though. I have driven automatics (not Toyota) that do seem to "lurch" or surge forward slightly, mostly due to them downshifting to maintain speeds.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    So, I ended up having to pay another $2,000.00 and trade my 2009 Accord LX for a 2010 Camry LE.

I don't know how you did it but it's a screaming deal that you only need to pay 2K to get rid of the 1 year old car regardless it's 1-2 months old.
  • corolla_e11corolla_e11 Member Posts: 18
    Hi pixshooter,

thanks for the detailed review.

As you mentioned between the Honda accord and the camry there is not comparison. It's like day and night. For the comfort smooth and confortable ride the Camry offers and for the price in the US market I'll say Hello my friends.

I've Drove long time german cars in German (Because the europeen models are way different that what they send here in the US) and I had problem feeling the German car driving experience at LOWER COST. The only car I tested and was satisfied with the price and performance was the 2007 Mazda CX-7. Dem this is a car. I end up buying this.

Also one think I hear people complaining about the gaz milenage on the CX-7 and I'll say US car drivers has zero idea on car (JUST TO BE CLEAR IT'S NOT MY INTENTION TO OFFEND POEPLE HERE). They are driving a 269 horse power car and on the top of It an cross over and they are expecting to have 25-30 Miles/Gallon......... Crazy even the camry with 169 HP can just make it. Please go on German tuning (race profesional) web sites and see what compliment was given to the CX-7 with respect to the price/class/performance even with BMW can beat It. And my god the brake on the CX-7.

Now back to the camry: I owned a (a 1997 Toyota Corolla E11, Lunea luna limited edition See pics 10 and 11 also feel free to google) in Germany for 7 years and sold It before moving to the US. The car was so gut. Was very disappointed with the toyotas builded for the us market (here in the US). Got first here a 2008 corolla CE (for every day drive cause the Mazda CX-7 is my baby). No ABS, no nothing beside airbag. was cheap and for a first car.....

We've tested the 2009 Camry some time ii summer when it was on sale and we were so disappointed that we've decided to keep our 2008 corolla. Even the $3.000 off didn't make us think twice.

With family growth (2 kids) we've started locking into sedan and first tested the 2010 Camry basic model. What a hudge difference compared with the 2009 model and the 2008 Corolla. Then the Honda accord(this is carbage) and then we went with the 2010 camry XLE with 4 cylinders (XLE because can't drive a car without leather wrapped steering wheel and was getting more option for the money). Dam this is a car and if you compare It with other cars on the US market (even the Lexus, they just look more luxurious but the ride is not that great. The 2010 camry drive smoother that other lexus model I drove).

So to summarize. @ALL 2010 camry owners be proud of the quality of the car you are driving. For those who are looking for a new family/sedan ride don't be fooled with the latest recall. this is a great car and you can't go wrong. with the current incentive 2.9% for 60 months or 0.0% for 36 months.............
    The american public is justifiably disappointed in the FE of the CX-7. The 4 cylinder motor with DFI would normally get about 15-20% better FE if not for having to accommodate the turbo. To allow for turbo boost, at the relatively RARE times of need, the engine MUST be detuned/derated for "normal" highway cruising use..95% of the time..??

Normally a DFI engine could have a base/static compression ratio of as much as 12:1. But in order to provide for a decent level of turbo boost the static CR must be lower than otherwise.

The shame of all this, the REAL shame, is that Mazda could have made use of the new Toyota e/VVT-i technique to transition the engine operating mode from Otto, CR of 15:1(low cylinder charge), to Atkinson, CR of 12:1(moderate cylinder charge), to Miller cycle mode, CR of 8:1(WOT). Probably wouldn't have had enough "juice" left in the exhaust to spool up a turbo, but a good positive displacement variable volume SC (remember the Millenia S..??) would have worked wonders.

35MPG hwy.

And the other bad news is that Ford is making exactly the same mistake with TwinForce ("EcoBoost").
    So, I ended up having to pay another $2,000.00 and trade my 2009 Accord LX for a 2010 Camry LE.
    I don't know how you did it but it's a screaming deal that you only need to pay 2K to get rid of the 1 year old car regardless it's 1-2 months old.

gooddeal2- I was working 5 dealers in 3 states when I got the Honda. I hate trying to get these guys to come down to a realistic price but it is possible. i just keep telling one dealer that the other dealer is offering a better deal. If the salesman won't budge then get another salesman. Many ''tell me'' that they are not getting any commission but it is more about total sales. I know they lie but I keep on tying to get the bargain.
    I also dealt with around 6 dealers for the Toyota. Some of the online prices they give are bs once you get to the dealer. (My honda was not and neither was the Camry dealr that I eventually went with. I had both send me total out tghe door price with taxes etc...
    The Toyota dealer wanted the Accord real bad. Heck it only had 200 miles on it. They told me they wanted it on their lot so they could compare it to their Camrys to potential customers. Yea Sure... In the end they did tell me...NOW GO AWAY....LOL
    I might of mentioned that they did stick me with the upgraded radio after lying to me and telling me that the car I wanted was on a boat coming from Japan and it had the radio or I would have to wait a month. I was happy that they were so busy that they still had Camrys made in Japan coming to America. I asked for the boats name so I could track it and they could not find the info. hmmmmmm Then when the car arrived I looked at door plate and it said made it Kentucky. My salesperson said ''oh they just put that plate on it'' I went to management to get the truth and then my salesperson said she did not know that it came from Kentucky....after she showed me what was supposedly my car on a boat. You can get the deal. If they don't come down ...Walk away. They need to sell cars.
    They told me they wanted it on their lot so they could compare it to their Camrys to potential customers.

Yeb, you got a real deal there. :shades: About 2 years, I wanted to trade in my Altima for a new Accord (old design '07) b/c they had heavy discount. The dealer wouldn't give me a penny more than the auction number on the Altima b/c they said they will NOT keep the car on lot. They will send it to auction. They don't want people to compare the Altima w/ the Accord.

I didn't really trust the guy, so, I decided to walk around their used car lot and I couldn't find an Altima. I saw a couple Maximas. When I got home, I check their website and I didn't see any Altima also.

I ended up w/ a new Altima instead b/c Nissan dealer wanted my car on their lot and they offered me more than the Honda dealer.

I tried to get a new Altima late last month and the dealer let me walk out for $200 diff. :cry:
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I test drove 2 2010 I4 camry. Both of them could not travel in a straight line (pull right) when my hands off the steering... anyone tried it on their?
    Mine is does not pull- straight, no problem. Have you tried driving the same route with a car you think can travel in a straight line?
  • lsu_guy2002lsu_guy2002 Member Posts: 1
    Okay - I just turned the keys to an '03 Accord that I drove and loved and put 116K miles on it. In turn, I bought a 2010 Camry LE. I love the new Camry, but I loved the Accord back in '03 when I bought it. I will say that the Camry is much quieter than the Accord, but like you said, the Camry interior layout isn't as 'flashy' as the Accord. I noticed some of the same things you mentioned as well...the center console has a crappy little tray that is difficult to move, the USB outlet is sorta out of the way, the pockets on the back of the seats are 'low quality', the trunk however, i have no problems with - very roomy. i do find myself speeding because of how quiet the cabin is. All in all, I really like me car. My wife drives an '03 Camry and I'm having a hard time keeping her out of my newer model.
    AND......the son loves the Honda.
    Yes, I agree the interior is not as plush as it was in earlier models (2002-2006), but if you consider all the stuff that has been added (traction & stability control, 7 airbags, etc) larger engine, AND the fact that the price has not really gone up, if you take into consideration inflation, it makes it a little more tolerable. Other makes have cheapened the interiors as well. Personally, I would pay a little more for a nicer interior, but it is not terrible. It is very functional and laid out, just not as plush as prior generations. I stiif recommend putting some white lithium grease on the tray to make it easier to move.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It appears from isolated testing by owners on PriusChat the the new 2010 Prius has the smart brake override installed - but not announced - already. It works as indicated.
  • mike4954mike4954 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a 2010 Camry. I noticed a skuishy feeling on the front passenger floor.
    Like part of the floorboard is missing.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's normal.
    Normal - nothing to worry about. Most cars use extensive padding under the carpeting.
    The Prius has always had a "smart" brake. Regenerative braking REQUIRES that the engine RPM fall low enough that the braking wheels DRIVE the synchronous AC motor(s) into GENERATOR mode.

This also happens even if you lift the throttle without touching the brakes. During coastdown periods the roadbed traction is used to DRIVE the generators. Simulating, in effect, engine compression braking as would occur in a non-hybrid.
    There is a fairly common failure that might be the cause. HVAC condensate overflowing the plenum and leaking onto/into the passenger side carpet. There is a drain hose to prevent this but it may be blocked or even not properly installed.
    You didn't say if the "soft spot" was wet. If so, wwest could be right.
    Maybe I didn't explain my self correctly. This is on the corner of the front passenger floor by the seat. It feels solid and then all of a sudden it feels like the floor ends and yoh have just the carpet. Thanks again for all the replys.
    "..skuishy feeling..."

Would imply, for me, WET.

Maybe Spongy would have been more correct.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Either way, its soft, squeezable. Doesn't sound that normal, but I don't own a Camry!
    gooddeal2- One dealer tried that auction bs with me also. I just went by Kelly, NADA and Edmunds. I did forgot to mention that when I got the price on the 2010 Camry, it was a done deal....and then the sales manager walked in and started the numbers game, which made no sense at all. It is just a scam they use to jack up the price. He kept trying to get some more $$ out of the deal and told me they were losing money on my Accord trade blah blah.... I told them that we had a agreed price and I was ready to walk if they did not go with it. Thank goodness he gave in and I got the pretty good deal. I also forgot to mention I paid cash on the 2009 Accord and 2010 Camry, so money probably does talk.

Another thing that bothers me about the 2010 Camry is there are drain holes on both sides of car (at least on mine) somewhere below each door and after a few rain storms there are always dirt trails below the doors. I have never seen this on a car and wonder why they designed it this way? The good thing it remind me to wash the car and water is not storing up wherever it is draining from but too bad the rain gets in that area anyway. Has anyone else noticed this? ( I still love the car...but there are always little things that are worth pointing out.
    Regarding the console between the seats and the crappy tray they stuck in it (I'm about ready to pull it out) My old 98 Accord had a 2 section console. Very nice. Top portion was only a couple of inches thick and then below that was the deep console. Toyota should of copied this.
    Spongy is a better word for it. Thanks wwest!
    Thanks. I usually pay cash also. I trade in cars so often that I just walk in...ask for the diff...negotiation for 10 minutes and then either buy the car or walk out. :D
    Another thing that bothers me about the 2010 Camry is there are drain holes on both sides of car (at least on mine) somewhere below each door and after a few rain storms there are always dirt trails below the doors. I have never seen this on a car and wonder why they designed it this way? The good thing it remind me to wash the car and water is not storing up wherever it is draining from but too bad the rain gets in that area anyway. Has anyone else noticed this? ( I still love the car...but there are always little things that are worth pointing out.

Yes, my 2007 used to do this - it is normal, but it will get less as the car gets older. I think it is maybe excess rust proofing?? My 2007 does not do this anymore, but my new 2010 now does this, but it is getting less and probably another few months and it will not do it any more.
    I checked. It's the shape of the floorpan. The carpet and padding cover a small depression.
    Regarding the console between the seats and the crappy tray they stuck in it (I'm about ready to pull it out) My old 98 Accord had a 2 section console. Very nice. Top portion was only a couple of inches thick and then below that was the deep console. Toyota should of copied this.

They did -- for the 2002-06 models. I'm not getting rid of mine soon! Two other cost-cutting measures on the '07 and later: hard plastic on the rear face of the front seat backs instead of cloth and 6-way power passenger seat on the XLE instead of 8-way (no more adjustable tilt of the seat cushion).
    Thanks, I was curious about the older models. Too bad they changed it. Yep, I commented on those plastic seat back pockets instead of cloth earlier. I hardly put anything in mine ( A map and some thin items) for fear of ripping them lose. I guess the old ones were like my 98 Accord. I had umbrella and all kind of goodies in the cloth version. But the Camry LE driver seat is much more comfortable then the Accord. It has plenty of adjustments for me. Since I only kept the 2009 Accord for two weeks, this could be my imagination but when adjusting the seats it felt like the Camry had more front seat legroom even though they have almost exact same legroom according to web sites dimensions. Legroom is very important to (6' 1'') me. No power adjustment for passenger seat. ">
    Camry has power Auto-Up/Down windows on all 4 windows. Accord is just driver and passenger. Not a big deal but convenient. I like to open the rear passenger side window just a little on days when AC is not needed, but I don't know if it the body design or not but there is an awful wind noise that is had to describe when opening that window that is very annoying.
    mcdawgg- Thanks for reply about the drain holes

They did -- for the 2002-06 models. I'm not getting rid of mine soon! Two other cost-cutting measures on the '07 and later: hard plastic on the rear face of the front seat backs instead of cloth and 6-way power passenger seat on the XLE instead of 8-way (no more adjustable tilt of the seat cushion)-210delray
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    A 269 horsepower car? I thought the CX-7 had 244 horsepower. :confuse:
    I like to open the rear passenger side window just a little on days when AC is not needed, but I don't know if it the body design or not but there is an awful wind noise that is had to describe when opening that window that is very annoying.

This is common on a lot of cars these days. Just open one of the front windows slightly, problem solved. I can't remember, but it is something very explainable.
    Thanks kdhspyder. That makes me feel better.
    In physics, that resonance is called the Helmholtz effect. Some car companies call it a "helicoptering" sound. It's like blowing across the top of an empty beer bottle. The solution is to open a front window; it's most obvious when only one rear window is open.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    It works great at shutting the kids up.
  • camry4me16camry4me16 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to turn off the voice navigation menu prompt? I'm talking about the menu that comes up when you press the voice nav button where the voice says all your options? I really only use the "dial by name" feature and am wondering if there is a way to bypass the menu...

Thanks
    Jason
    Yes it's simple. Press the voice icon on the steering wheel right away and say your next command.
    Click
    Click
    "dial by name"
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    Hi there. I bought a 4 cyl Camry in October. I have 2300 miles on it. I am noticing the weird shifting too. What's bothering me most is when I let the car slow down without braking the car seems to go back and forth between gears a little. The odometer will show the RPMs going down but then the RPMs go up a little then down again. This is particularly noticeable when I'm coming to a stop. The car seems to slide forward a bit just before the full stop. It's very disconcerting.
    Do you think this "reset the computer" will work? I'm afraid to take it in to the dealer and say this since I don't really understand what it means. I'm also afraid that I will get the blank stare and the "that's the way it's supposed to be" response. I know a guy who works on Camrys. He seems to know them inside out. He loves the old ones - not so much the new ones (all built in the U.S. of A.)- and fixed a problem on my 92 Camry that no one else could figure out. I guess I could ask him about it.
    Advice? Does anyone understand this reset the computer fix - the one that koho had done?
    I love the car otherwise but I'm beginning to be obsessed by the weird shifting. :(
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    I have a Camry I bought in October with about 2200 miles now. I have noticed what you speak of here, but not quite to that extent. My car does down shift and slow down in a hurry when I take my foot off the gas pedal - almost no coasting! The shifts are however very smooth and not jerky - I notice them simply because I'm hyper vigilant about the car's behavior. I did however notice two very hard shifts - when the car was under 1000 miles, and they were both when I accelerated after decelerating. I figured that was the tranny "learning." I would also like to know what is entailed in resetting the computer. Don't know if I need one, but would like to know what it means.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    It may be more of an update than a reset. The PCM which controls the engine and transmission has a series of tables in it that depending on inputs from various sensors determines what gear to be in, and when to shift to that gear. If a table is out of sequence it can cause shift issues like what you are seeing. Do not take it to a mechanic other than a dealer for this, it will void your warranty if someone messes with the PCM tables(IE Chip, Reprogram, ETC.) The dealer will reprogram the PCM with the latest update if they determine it is the cause of the improper shifting.

BTW the Computers in a 92 are far far different than a 2010, they completely changed how the computers work and are accessed beginning of 1995. They are all OBDII or maybe even the next generation, it has been that long since I worked on them, and they were all OBDII at that time. You need the proper diagnostic tool to even read ODBII codes, let alone reprogram one. A decent tool can run upwards of $4500 to start, and that doesn't include the modules for each make. This is why I suggest taking it to the dealer first, they will have the proper tools to read the PCM.
  • corolla_e11corolla_e11 Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

Got also my 2010 Camry last November and have so far 940 miles on It. I notices It the first time I got with with 12 miles on the odometer. That time was pretty thought for me since was I driving my CX-7 (always in sport manual shifting).
    The move to the Camry made me notice the hesitation. I've learned It from the Mazda where the car will have some hesitation when I slow down pretty fast and using the breaks at the meantime.

Since I'm a "preventive" driver ; means I always watch the light far away before approaching the intersection and let the car roll instead of using heavily the break (don't work always because some time got surprised with the speed and need to really break). That said, applyed this on the Camry too and noticed a big change in the car behavior. couldn't feel the hard hesitation I had from the beginning (WHEN SLOWING DOWN).

However there is also hesitation when speeding up from stop and go. You can still feel an hesitation when accelerating (after the traffic lights turn green) and only if you stay below 2 RPM you can see this behavior. I need to "tell the car I really need to go forwards" by pushing on the gas (More than 2 RPM) and then the car goes straight without hesitation. But If I stay below 2 RPM after the "stop and go" the car will automatically shift from 1 ->2 ->3 (may be 3 ->4 since In automatic mode you can't see the gears ) and then hesitate and shifts back from 3 ->2 (may be 4 ->3 ).

So I don't know If those hesitations are "normal" or may be we Carmy owners don't know how to communicate with our car.

Please feel free to give It a try and give us feedback here in the forum.

They say the relationship between you and your car is unique. So if you teach your car how you want him to behave or learn to speak to him then you'll be great partners with the time. And also one think when you are used to your car and give It to some one else for couples days once you get your car back you'll feel that the car drives any way differently and I think that how the car behave with a different driver.
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    acdii - thanks. I will try that.
    My driving sounds like yours, corolla e11. I too have begun to go up to stops faster then use the brakes. I don't think, however, that we should be changing our behavior to compensate for something strange happening when the gears shift down. Maybe it's better anyway to brake instead of letting the car slow down. Less strain on the transmission which obviously costs more to fix/replace than the brakes. I think I heard the Car Guys tell this to someone. Can't remember for sure. Opinions on the best way - if there is one - to approach stops? To brake or not to brake - that is the question. Well, obviously braking will be necessary eventually. :)
    This "car needs to learn the way you drive" thing that dealers tell you sounds fishy to me. I've been told this twice already. Maybe it is.
    I've gotten use to how to accelerate from stops to avoid the hesitation so this doesn't bother me anymore. I test drove a used 07 Lexus before I bought the Camry and it did the same hesitation thing.
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with my 92 Camry. It still runs like a dream and the seats are really comfortable. The air conditiong is really cold when ou need it to be. Personally, I think Camrys are the quietest and most comfortable midsize car on the road. I still really like my new one. The Accord seats were not comfortable and they are way noisier on the road.
This discussion has been closed.