Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Except for the park position, and I'm not even sure about that, there is no mechanical coupling between the "shifter" and the transaxle. Only switches "watched" by the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware, firmware which in the end may be found to be the causative factor.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    No idea, because we dont know what your actual MPG is. Regular should be at least as efficient as premium in a car designed to run on regular.
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    I have 2010 Camry LX 4 cylinder. I now have 4,500 miles on it so I figure it is broken in. I usually drive normal speeds but do find myself driving faster at times because the car drives so darn smooth. Lately I have been driving slower and testing my mpg. I think I have only gotten over 30 mpg once since owning the car. I am very disappointed in this. I called the dealer and they blamed it my area using a lot of ethanol. I went on a trip out of my area and got the same results so if that is the case then all gas pumps must be using a lot of ethanol. The 97 Accord that I just sold always got at least 30 mpg and 32 mpg often.
    I just checked the tire pressure hoping they might be low and this would be the reason for the crappy mileage but the tires are still at 34 psi. I double checked with dealer and Michelin and they agreed to keep tires at what it says on the plate inside the door. Michelin also said the tires that came with my car don't have a regular warranty and I should expect around 20,000 miles out of them. I guess once I get some better tires down the road that the mileage ''may'' increase but the better gas mileage was one of the selling points of me buying the car.
    This question is for 2010 Camry 4 cylinder owners.
    What is your tire pressure?
    Mpg?
    Driving habits?
    Best gas mileage so far?
    Synthetic oil? ( Dealer told me the synthetic oil would give better gas mileage)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota on PriusChat said that the official notifications would be going out in early Feb along with a coupon for one free oil change. Don't worry, it'll happen all in good time. Soon your dealer will get the notification and he will admit it to his customers. If not go to another dealer. Life is easy if you don't inject unnecessary stress into it.
    Now you have family sedans pushing 300 hp, and almost exclusively with an automatic transmission. With a stick shift you hit the brakes and the slower you go the slower the engine is turning so it loses hp as you slow down even if it is fighting you. With an AT the car will downshift and regain revs so it is at full strength.

You bring up a good point here. Many of us grew up learning to drive on a manual tranny. Whenever a panic situation occured the first thing you did was CLUTCH and BRAKE.

Disconnet the wheels from the powertrain.

Now that basic safety movement has been lost for tens of millions of drivers. It has to be relearned.
    Yes you can shift to Neutral at any speed. There is a rev-limiter in all modern vehicles, at least all Toyota ATs and CVTs. For my own information I've done it at 35 mph and 50 mph and 70 mph in my 05 Prius and my wife's 04 Highlander.

No problem, Just Do It.
    In winter this subject always comes up. In typical N American winters you should expect to lose 10-20% off your 'normal' fuel economy; winter gas has fewer BTUs, the weather is worse normally, the roads are often slicker meaning less traction and the engine has to work more to keep you warm.

I'd expect to get 28-30 mpg in winter and 31-34 mpg in summer.

Try not to stop...EVER!! Stopping is one of the worst things you can do when it comes to fuel usage. It takes a lot more fuel to raise the sleeping beast from rest than it does to cruise slowly up to a light or traffic slowdown then accelerate smoothly up again.

My own experience in a 2.5L 2010 XLE for 1000 mi in Oct, in mild weather, with good traction and almost zero stops on my 75 mi 1-way commute was that I was averaging 38-41 mpg at 61 mph.

But if I hit a slowdown and had to brake then speed up again the FE rating immediately hit the average and drove it down to the low 30 mpg range. Then back on the steady highway cruise it built back up again until the average for the whole 1000 miles was 36 mpg.

No City driving at all.
    Very few stops - if any
    Very boring commute-type drive
    Very moderate speed
    Very good weather
    Long trip each way.

These conditions are just about perfect for any vehicle. In my 05 Prius on this trip I usually average 50 mpg day after day after day after day after day over 140,000 miles.
    "..Many of us grew up..."

I think you might mean...

Many of us in the 50+ age group.

By the early sixtires it was hard to find a new car, "passenger" car, with a manual transmission. Then as FWD began to take hold in the seventies the deal was sealed.
    "...historically brakes have been..."

Not in all situations. Once the car is moving at hwy speeds the advantage has historically gone over to the engine.....inertia/momentum tips the scales.

Or the historical aspect might relate to FWD vs RWD. With "historical" RWD the front brakes are much more likely to have "control" than with a FWD wherein the engine is in direct competition with the primary, HEAVY duty, front wheel braking resource.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    I tried it at around 60 MPH coming home from work. Beats me why shifting to neutral isn't a suggestion in their "stuck pedal" advice. I even practiced the scenario a few times so it may become a reflex if the situation ever arises. The "stepped" guide even prevents you from heading into reverse.
    kdhspyder> 38-41 mpg at 61 mph? I only had the one trip that I got around 34mpg or so for 1 tank (might of been a fluke) but I would of gotten pushed off the interstate if I drove around 61. ...joke joke.. I'm in Florida and Winter just arrived a few weeks ago, so most of my driving was in mild conditions. Today was 69 degrees. We did have a couple of weeks of cold weather the last 2 weeks
    (down in the 20's at night-cold for us...haahaaaa) but most of our weather was 70's during the day and 50's at night.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    but I would of gotten pushed off the interstate if I drove around 61.

Oh he was getting pushed, that was part of his hyper-miler strategy ;)
    It wasn't interstate. It's a rural Hwy in NC, the main drag to the Outer Banks, where the speed limit is 45-55 and 63 is safe; 65 is asking for a visit from one of Smokey's friends; 67 is demanding a ticket.

Also on this road I've hit or been hit by 2 bambi's, Bre'r Fox, the Easter Bunny and we have to watch out for real Smokey the Bears ( not a joke ). So far two accidents totalling $10000 from natures finest have been paid by my insurance company.

That's why I was driving a Camry XLE!! The 2nd bambi accident on the Prius caused me to be out of a car for two weeks.

Oh since there are so many bambi's hereabouts guys go hunting simply by pulling off to the side of the road and going into the woods. Sometimes there are rifle shots to dodge too. What's a kid from NYC doing in a place like this? Retired.
    lilengineerboy kdhspyder Funny posts. Big laughs to both of you:)

But I still want better gas mileage :mad:
  • houscarhouscar Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2010 Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl one and half month ago, and have driven it for only 1200 miles. Yesterday I suddenly felt vibration/knocking from the engine while I was driving at about 30 mph, in the mean time both the Check Engine and Slip Indicator lights were on. The vibration became worse during acceleration. I parked the car and opened the front hood, I saw the engine vibrating badly. I have sent the car to a Toyota dealer, and am waiting for a diagnosis. The service man said there have been quite a few people got the same problem with the new Camry. Really disappointed with Toyota's quality control. I am sure I am using the right gas. Do you have any idea what happened in my car? Shall I contact Toyota directly? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    It's at the right place, the dealership can check the computer to see what error codes were set, and fix whatever the problem was. Sit tight for a bit.
    A friend suggested that I can ask to change a new Camry since my car is brand new. Is it possible? Will Toyota pay for loss of the dealer? Thanks.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Nope, it's as easy as that...you have to follow the lemon law in your state like you have to let them fix 3 times first...etc.
    They giving you a loaner car?
    It turns out that the electric wire to a fuel injector was loosely connected in the manufactory. The technician in the Toyota dealer simply snapped the connection all the way in, and the car runs smoothly now. The dealer (not the one selling my car) did a good job finding and fixing the problem. Toyota needs to improve their quality control, though; a simple mistake can cause a big problem.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    I had thought about getting one last year, but the dealers wouldn't match the Accord's pricing, so i didn't buy one. What a blessing in disguise!! :-)
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    The Accord is not any better than the Camry either. Accords also have quality issues too. :lemon:
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    Accord still better in quality though. The Camry has been relying on past reputation, but over the past few years, the quality has waned.
    jason50,
    I disagree with you on that. The Accord has its share of quality problems too like bad transmissions, brake problems and fit and finish problems. Like I said, the Accord :lemon: has its share of quality problems just like the Camry does.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I disagree with you on that. The Accord has its share of quality problems too like bad transmissions, brake problems and fit and finish problems.

Well, I can replace brakes or even transmissions but I cannot replace my life with the run-away Toyota. :cry:
    The Accord has its share of quality problems too like bad transmissions, brake problems and fit and finish problems. Like I said, the Accord has its share of quality problems just like the Camry does.

I haven't heard of transmission issues in about six model years. What have I missed? :) Those transmissions that did have issues had major warranty extensions put on them, and many replaced beyond warranty periods from Honda.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    As one who had three transmissions put in my 2000 4 cyl accord (the original was better than the replacements) my question would be if the VCM is going to be Honda's "future problem" - i.e. will the current VCM people be having the problems the late 90-early 00's had with transmissions. I understand some are already experiencing oil consumption once they get some miles on them.
    Those transmissions that did have issues had major warranty extensions put on them, and many replaced beyond warranty periods from Honda.

Honda did not do this on their own, but did it as a result of a class action lawsuit. Toyota had it's class action lawsuits on engine oil sludge and now it seems to be the media that is forcing Toyota to fix a problem.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own one of the models listed in the recall and have actually experienced the unintended acceleration, please send an email with details of the experience and how it felt.

karen@edmunds.com
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    but I cannot replace my life with the run-away Toyota

Remember the mantra, "shift to neutral and live!"
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    I don't think you can miss Neutral from Drive since you have to go up and to the right to get to Reverse.

People can also practice saying the following: "but officer, my car suddenly accelerated." ;)
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    Aren't all Toyotas have the Drive by Wire system?
    The sticky Pedal may not really be the culprit but the ETC. I found in several sites how the system works. Also, CTS which manufactures the gas pedals denies that its products are at fault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_throttle_control

http://www.cobracaralarms.com.au/cruise-controls/drive-by-wire

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/drive- -by-wire.htm

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-pedal30-2010jan30,0,4401302.story
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Toyota is fast losing its reputation as company which promotes reliability and safety. With the Friday’s announcement, the total recall of cars now stands at 9.5 million, 4.1 million for gas pedal problem and 5.4 million for floor mat problems. The number of cars recalled is more than what the company has sold last year (7.8 million vehicles were sold world-wide last year) which means the company’s expenditure will go up for carrying out the repairs.
    latest update> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100130/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall_4

AP Sources: Govt clears Toyota gas pedal fix

DETROIT – Federal regulators have cleared Toyota's plan to fix millions of sticky gas pedals, and dealers could get parts to make the repairs as early as Thursday or Friday, people briefed on the matter said Saturday. Two dealers said they were told the news by Toyota executives, and a Department of Transportation official confirmed that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had no objections to Toyota's plans. Toyota plans to announce details early Monday, according to the dealers, who asked not to be identified because the fix had not been made public. The DOT official also requested anonymity because the announcement had not been made. Telephone messages left with three Toyota spokesmen Saturday were not immediately returned. Toyota has recalled 4.2 million vehicles worldwide because the gas pedal systems can get stuck. The company said the problem is rare and is caused by condensation that builds up in the gas pedal assembly.

Several dealers have said the fix involves slipping a shim into an area where springs push the gas pedal back to its resting position after a driver has eased off the gas, but Toyota has not commented on the repair. Dealers have been in the difficult position of having no parts to fix the cars ever since the recall was announced on Jan. 21. Legally Toyota did not need NHTSA's approval for the fix, but the company submitted the plan to the government agency on Thursday, and it would be unlikely to proceed without the government's blessing.

Toyota told employees in an e-mail it is buying full-page ads Sunday in 20 major newspapers to reassure customers.

Meanwhile, Consumer Reports, an influential publication for car buyers, on Friday suspended its "recommended" status for the eight recalled Toyota models.
    Sure beats "Toyota - Oh, What a Feeling!...of doom..."
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    :facepalm:
    So anyone heard how they plan on fixing the sudden accelerations where the pedals are not involved? I mean really, would anyone buy a 2010 Toyota Camry at this point knowing the true underlining problem still isn't being fixed? Talk about buyer beware!
    The Accord is not any better than the Camry either.

Sure it! Honda did not have nearly 10 million vehicles recalled, was forced to stop selling the Accord, nor still has an underlining sudden acceleration problem they have yet to fix.

Sorry, but Toyota = :lemon:

Honda = :blush:
    Hey revit,
    The Accord has many problems. Even though Honda has not recalled 10 million vehicles like Toyota did, Hondas still have issues with their transmissions and with fit and finish problems.
    Let me rephrase it differently for you revit. Homdas "and" Toyotas are both :lemon:
    And ONLY 100% Japanese build vehicles are :):blush:
    Get your facts right before you say that Honda is better than Toyota.
    Get your facts right before you say that Honda is better than Toyota.

Oh, I have as I have owned both. Never before though have I owned a vehicle that has involved a recall for millions of consumers and the automaker being forced to stop selling them; very disappointing for my 2009 Camry. In addition, based on the 2010 models, the Accord is rated better than the Camry.

Personally, I would go for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata: Hyundai prices the 2011 Sonata starting at $19,915

Something tells me, Toyota especially, and probably Honda, is going to continue to lose business to the Sonata. And after this Toyota Fiasco, Sonata sales are only going higher. :)
    Hondas still have issues with their transmissions

What 2009/2010 Hondas are having transmission issues?
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    What 2009/2010 Hondas are having transmission issues?

Not my argument, but to answer your question - the coupes with the manual transmissions.
    Honda has long been known for weak transmissions. I have several friends who own repair shops and they tell me about the only unscheduled maintenance they do on hondas are transmissions and motor mounts. I think honda is fully aware of their weak automatic transmissions and instead of trying to build a six speed auto and working out the problems they opted for the VCM route. I don't know if that was a good idea or not and only time will tell.
    They had problems in the early 2000s, but my question still stands - and I was really assuming he meant automatics. I haven't heard of issues with manuals (probably because so many have autos these days).
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I don't have a Honda or a Toyota, but one thing that Honda's seem to have a problem with is brake and rotor issues - just go over to the accord forum on edmunds and you'll see the hell some post-2008 accord owners are going thru with their brakes and rotors

Don't seem to be as many problems or complaints from camry owners about brakes and rotors issues

on the other hand, the camry has been plagued with transmission issues and now the accelerator problem since 2007

so the point I'm trying to make is, both Honda and Toyota have their issues; it just depends on what one you want to deal with? go figure
    The follow-up to your question of which honda automatics have problems can easily be answered under the honda odyssey section of this edmunds site. It seems the answer is the odyssey, but that was with a 30 sec search and I didn't look at any of their other vehicles. Odyssey was easy for me as I have a good friend who would like to tell honda what they could do with the auto in his 1 year old odyssey.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I don't have a Honda or a Toyota, but one thing that Honda's seem to have a problem with is brake and rotor issues - just go over to the accord forum on edmunds and you'll see the hell some post-2008 accord owners are going thru with their brakes and rotors

Don't seem to be as many problems or complaints from camry owners about brakes and rotors issues

In the Honda Accord Maintenance 2003-2007 thread on here, there really isn't much mention about brakes and rotors at all. Most of the conversation is some kid whining about his horn. ;)

Oh, and the seats, which are apparently hit or miss.

The OLD Accords (1975-1989 or so) had issues with warping rotors which made them go inboard 1990-1993 (maybe longer) which made them a pain to change. Other than that I don't know of any brake issues.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    if you have actually paid attention to my post more closely, the problems are on accord models from 2008 to now, not on the previous gen from 03-07; and trust me, there is a problem with the brakes and rotors on the current accord because I have a Acura and I have had some servicing done at a Honda dealer and there were loads of people in their with this exact problem on their accord

there is even a separate discussion thread for accord brake problems - go check it out! I'm just lucky I haven't had brake or rotor troubles on my Acura (crossing my fingers!)
    Most of the conversation is some kid whining about his horn.

Hey, that comment really honked me off!

;)
This discussion has been closed.