Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• sthomps81sthomps81 Member Posts: 7
    We definitely are leaning toward a V8 in the 4Runner. 99% of our driving happens over 5,000 feet in elevation and as I mentioned earlier we live at 7,000 feet plus. When loaded the extra power is very appreciated. Heated mirrors are nice--I have them on my Audi (also has a V8).

We have ruled out the 2005 model in favor of the 2006. I'm usually not an extended warranty buyer but I will keep it in mind.
    Thanks!
  • witchdoctorwitchdoctor Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2005 V8 LTD fully loaded (nav, xreas, air susp, sunroof, etc) in Nov 05... I traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8. got a real good deal and feel the 06 was not worth the extra $$$.
    There is no comparison between Jeep and 4Runner. The 4runner drives MUCH more solidly, handles better, is quieter, and should be more reliable. I love the 4runner and enjoy driving it.
    Read some Jeep boards and you'll see thousands of complaints, which I can tell you are true... the grand cherokee is typical chrysler crap - buyer beware, I learned the hard way.
    Chysler, and their dealers are garbage - they stand behind nothing, rip you at every opportunity, and could not care less about making a happy customer. I have found few Toyota owners that are unhappy with their vehicles...and now I am one of em...
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I agree w/witchdoctor 100%. Had a jeep grand cherokee as well. -LEMON. Do Not buy a JEEP. I have a 05 4runner v8--excellent choice, great on snowy roads.
  • grahmmgrahmm Member Posts: 28
    I also have experience with Jeep. Not unusual to be considered old at 60-70,000 miles. There is no quality comparison versus the 4 Runner the Jeep simply does not have much in the way of quality + the other writers are correct in that Toyota is more interested in protecting their legacy of quality than Jeep (or any other domestic).
    Just about any Toyota with mileage is beeter than most of what Detroit produces new. Sad but unfortunately true. Used to own a Jeep, now own only Toyotas & no reason to consider any other brand based being both a conumer and having worked in the auto industry 30+ years.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    Wife and I had benn contemplating for months between the Highlander, Sienna, 4-runner, and Pilot. We have 2 kids and wanted a little more room and power from our 4cy Camry.

We were considering the Highlander the strongest because of it's handling and front wheel drive. After my wife test drove all these she thought the Sienna was a little large to get around in and liked the way the 4-runner drove and its looks so much decided on it. Hopefully we will find this being a wise choice.

It is a 6cy 2WD and the only negative I have with the decision is the rear wheel drive. The 4WD was over our budget and we won't be doing any off roading. So, we went with it.

How wide is the widest floor mats made? We want to protect our carpet to the max. Most of the ones I have seen are pretty narrow.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I would recommend Husky floor and cargo-space liners
    http://www.huskyliners.com/floorliners.html

I have a set in my '03 4Runner Limited, and while they are rather expensive, they're worth it in the long run.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I agree with Kheintz1, the "huskyLiners" are a good find. We weren't aware of them when we purchased our '04 4-Runner but a friend recommended the stuff from Weathertech. We liked their products so well we ended up buying mats and trunk liners for all of our vehicles. Good stuff and fantastic customer service. Their Web site is: link title

As an aside, my wife had a Sienna and then drove the Highlander for several years, before "taking over" my 4-Runner! She likes the 'Runner better than the others; I think you made the right choice!

Mike
    Thanks guys for the info!
    Just purchased an 06 SR5 v6 2WD. How well can we expect it to handle on somewhat slippery roads? Got an enormous deal on this cool lookin machine that drives great! Was probably our 3rd choice after much research but after test driving just too much vehicle to pass up in terms of quality, performance, looks, and value.
  • retired9retired9 Member Posts: 1
    just pick up 2001 4 runner with a set of michelens, will all brands of tires for this vehicle give me the same problem? : :(
  • saafedtsaafedt Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market to buy a new SUV and the 4Runner looks very awesome, but haven't been able to find out what type of gasoline it runs on?

Regular? Premium?

Thanks..... :confuse:
    Dealership told me regular. How well it runs on that don't know.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I've tried all grades of gas in my 2003 V6 and cannot tell the difference. Supposedly, the multivalve heads give a little more horsepower with premium, but without a dyno I'd never know the difference.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    If those are Cross Terrains, then yes, most other tires will be at least as niosy. But bear in mind tires get noisier as they age, so if yours are old tires, then just replacing them with the same brand will quiet them down.

If your tires are LTX M/S's, then no, there are tire choices that are quieter, although I wouldn't call the LTXs noisy (those are the ones I usually buy).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I have a 2005 SR5 V6//per manual any fuel 87 octane rating or higher is ok. I have used the 87 with no problem (use Chevron/runs cleaner). The manual indicates a higher range octane also could be used. During a recent trip I went up a notch to mid grade and only difference noted was a slight increase in mpg but do not know whether directly related to fuel or area we were driving through at the time. Consistantly drove 75-80 MPH and mileage was 21.7 - 22.8.
    Do you have the 'floor liners' or the rubber mats? Also, do the second row mats go all the way across or are they 2 individual mats and do they cover the second row completely?
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I have the "rubber mats" from WeatherTech. Liked them so well we bought them for our other vehicles. I have a new Avalon Limited and so far have NOT put the rubber mats in it, as my wife thinks they look a little "too industrial" for that vehicle! Thinking that I might get them anyway and just them in the winter months for the snow, ice, salt etc that ends up on the nice looking carpet mats.

As for the second row, they are individual mats and as such do NOT cover the area of the driveline hump. Worried about that but it hasn't been an issue; we bought some industrial ScotchGuard at Pep Boys and sprayed the heck out of the hump carpet. So far, so good!

Mike
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Consider where i stand for a moment... My father is retiring in 6 days and is looking for a reliable vehicle to take into retirement. Deciding between a 06 V8 4runner sr5 2wd(w/ 3row seats, navigation, leather w/ heated seats and dvd entertainment system) 06 Acura Mdx (w/ navigation and res) and 06nissan armada SE(navigation, leather and dvd entertainment). The 3 come out to be near in $$$ and features. The mdx and 4runner are very reliable and all 3 hold value. The Armada is biggest but uses most fuel. This is tough!!! :sick:

The mdx and the 4runner drive nicely while being quick with similar horsepower numbers. In case you're wondering about the 3rd row of seats, i need one to get rid of the need to drive two vehicle to places, mostly short distances. While the 4runner isn't the "better" choice for the third row, it will only be used 1 a month, at most. :) While on 3 row seats, dosen't have to have lexus comfort, it just needs to be usable and can fit a carseat. Help please..!!!!!!!!!!

ps, don't want a :lemon:.
    REALLY REALLY hard t5o go wrong with a 4 Runner. I bought one with 3rd row seat and rarely need them. I located a cargo shade on ebay & got the tonneau hooks from the dealer and converted for under $100. On an upcoming trip I'll need the seats and toss them in for use. So you have options there as to security & seat function.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    I just bought some weathertech floor liners and they are excellent.
    Thank you for your reply. Do the 2nd row mats cover the area well?
    The floor liners are the nicest looking ones I have seen. Do you have the 2nd row mats? If so, how well do they cover the floor? Concerned about the carpet on the hump.

Thanks for your reply!
  • coloroncoloron Member Posts: 14
    I just finished a similar process. I am retiring in March. I reseached every SUV on the market, test drove several and finally settled on a V6 SR5 4Runner. I really have no need for 3rd row seats so that wasn't a consideration. The MDX was out of my price range but I have a friend that has one.

My general assessment is that the MDX is a more comfortable vehicle but it's quite a bit larger and so it doesn't handle a well as the 4Runner. My friends like theirs but they've been frustrated by some minor problems with electronics that the dealer hasn't fixed right. They also had the battery go bad after just 1 year. They also get only about 14 MPG. I also looked at the Honda Pilot which is built on the same basic platform as the MDX but concluded that it has some serious quality issues.

I think that Toyota has everyone beaten when it comes to quality and reliability. I've only had mine for a few weeks but I've not heard a single rattle or squeak and I'm getting 19 MPG in mostly city driving. I'm very happy with my 4Runner.

Good luck and I wish your father a happy retirement!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I went out of a BMW 3 series and into a 2005 SR5 V8 4Runner because I wanted a reliable vehicle so that I could consider saving for retirement instead of repair bills.

Prices were awesome at the end of last year (invoice minus 3000 cash back).

Car is rock solid and fair on gas (17mpg on 87 v 19mpg on 93 for the bimmer)
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    The Husky floorliners completely cover the carpeting in the back seats-- these floorliners are a single-piece unit, and therefore, they leave no carpeting exposed. In my opinion, this is a significant advantage over the Weathertech liners, at least as far as the backseat area of the 4Runner is concerned. (By the way, I also ScotchGarded the cloth and carpeting in my 4Runner when it was new, and I retreat these fabrics yearly.)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I will, thanks! WE tried the pilot for 05, but it didn't have side curtain airbags. The 06 is just 2, (i'm lying, in fact quite the opposite) beautlful for me. :shades:
  • jumjadijumjadi Member Posts: 2
    06 SR5 V6 4Runners going for $23,979 plus ttl at my local dealership. This seems like a huge bargain. What do you guys think of the prices?
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    Where are you at? That price is unbelievable. How reliable is the info?
  • beeradbeerad Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a certified 2001 SR5 4Runner 2WD from the dealer. It has 71K and came with the pwertrain warranty out to 100K. I added the bumper to bumper addon, Platinum warranty. Nice car, no dings, no damages, looks brand new with great silver paint and silver-gray interior. Question - The CD on the radio won't play CDs that you record? Can this radio be replaced easily? Can you get a radio w/ CD that will operate the antenna? Question - The ABS pump recycles every 20-30 minutes, is this normal? Car brakes fine and runs like a charm? Waht can I expect from a car this old?
    Beerad
    Wow!!!!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "The CD on the radio won't play CDs that you record? Can this radio be replaced easily? Can you get a radio w/ CD"

This is not uncommon. For one thing CD's you buy at Walmart, Target, etc. (that you "burn" with your computer) are thinner than commercial CDs. So most car radios/CD players have problems with them. This is such a small issue I woud not worry about it. If it is a current recording, you should be buying the CD and not stealing it from the internet anyway.
    Hope this helps!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you may be assuming too much - there's lots of reasons to make archival copies of media and use the copies in your car CD (risk of theft of the $18 CD comes to mind).

Why do my CD-R audio discs work in my computer but not in my car or home audio player? (Media Sciences)

Steve, Host
    "archival copies of media and use the copies in your car CD (risk of theft of the $18 CD comes to mind)."

I see your point Steve, the only thing is I don't know anybody under 40 that "buys" music anymore.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, most of the iTunes stuff is paid for it sounds like (or is free to download, like our automotive videos).

But don't ask me - I don't own a home stereo or a car CD player and just listen to Shoutcast.com or the FM radio. ;-)

Steve, Host
  • ron504ron504 Member Posts: 9
    I am just about to negotiate a deal on an 06 Land Rover LR3 HSE. I realize there is a huge price difference and maybe I'm comparing apples & oranges but I would appreciate your input. Before I drove the LR3 my first choice was the 4runner. The 4runner is definately not substandard and will surely get better fuel economy. The LR3 had larger cargo room and was very quiet. I would go 4runner as a safe bet. I would lease either way so not as concerned about long term reliability. Thanks!!
    Everyone I have heard about Land Rovers has been negative. If short-term reliability is an issue, get the Toyota. If it isn't, and you have no problem dropping the car off at the dealer once a month, get the LR.
    "Everyone I have heard about Land Rovers has been negative."

That's for sure! I was at CostCo the other day, they were putting an LR3 on a flatbed truck - it wouldn't start!

If you have time on your hands, get the LR3. If you don't get the 4Runner! Let us know what you decide!
  • jumjadijumjadi Member Posts: 2
    It was the Power Tempe Toyota in Phoenix Arizona. They said the sale was only until this Sunday. It was a quot I received from one of their internet sales persons that reply back to my request on the web.
    "They said the sale was only until this Sunday. It was a quote I received from one of their internet sales persons that reply back to my request on the web."

I just love dealer excuses. Unless there is a factory rebate or incentive involved that expired, (you can check here on Edmunds for that info) there is no reason for them not to honor a price. How many times have you heard "If I sell it to you for XXX will you buy it today?" Hogwash, they can also sell it the next day for that as well.
    I wouldn't even consider a LR. People buy them for th "status" and you see them hit the used car lots while still brand new. Not much of a vehicle and not much of a choice go for the 4 runner. You'll regret the Land Rover.
    We have gotten numerous compliments since we purchased our 06 4-runner. Our neighbor even said they may get them one.

It is so fun to drive I feel like a young kid again. Got so many toys with it and we certainly don't have to think about any malfunctions. Really enjoying it!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How many times have you heard "If I sell it to you for XXX will you buy it today?"

To which I would be tempted to say "No, but if I come back in a week or two would you sell it to me for XXX - YYY?" :)

tidester, host
    To which I would be tempted to say "No, but if I come back in a week or two would you sell it to me for XXX - YYY?"

"VERY FUNNY!"
    On the other hand, if I am looking for a car, I usually go in there with a "buy" price in mind. If the dealer hits that price, I have no problem pulling the trigger and doing the deal. Yeah, I might be able to chew him down $500 by walking out and coming back qand walking out and coming back but my time is worth far more than the $500.
    "Yeah, I might be able to chew him down $500 by walking out and coming back and walking out and coming back but my time is worth far more than the $500."

You and I are different. I make a respectable amount of income, but to me $500.00 is still a lot of money!
  • memphistlcmemphistlc Member Posts: 10
    Mileage is 36K, other options are sunroof, selectable locker, basic JBL single CD stereo. Condition is excellent. Dealer price is down to 21600. What do you guys think?
    My 06 SR5 V6 was 25,500 not including my trade in. 5 options was included. Options include the tow hitch and ball, roof rack and cross bars, 17" wheels, carpet mats, and tonneau cover.

Would like to have the rear spoiler. How much would that cost me?
  • jrhammondjrhammond Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying an 06 4 Runner. I want to be able to tow a travel trailer in the total weight range of 5000 to 6000 lbs. I have seen some comments in the forum indicating to stay in the 5000 to 5500 lb range and try to stay under 22ft. I am looking at a travel trailer that is about 25ft. I live in the Rockies and would encounter 6 and 7% grades. Does anyone have some actual experience with pulling this kind of load? What were the pros and cons? I get mixed info from vehicle and trailer sales people and friends as well.
  • fatportfatport Member Posts: 3
    I tow a 3500 lb with a 2004 V6 Ltd. My personal opinion is that you're pushing your luck trying to pull something that heavy, but I suggest you go to this site and word search 4Runner. There are people out there towing with V8 4Runners, and they'll gladly share their experiences.

http://www.rv.net/
    I tow a 21foot Shamrock that probably weighs in around 4,500 pounds, with an '05 4Runner Sport w/the V8. I must be honest with you. I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier than I have. And from everything I have read, 22 to 23 feet (inc. tounge) is as long as you should go due to driving dynamics. You will need a good weight-distributing hitch and a brake controller. Look at the prodigy brake controller, it is one of the best. Don't listen to the sales -people at the trailer places-they will tell you that you could tow a 25'trailer with a YUGO! I would look at a diesel pickup. Those can tow all day long up hills...no problem!