Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• donald10donald10 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 4 Runner SR5 and am quickly approaching my first service interval (oil change and 4wd lube). I normally handle the simple stuff myself so when I looked at the owners manual I was surprised to see absolutely no instructions on HOW to do normal maintenance, only a list of what needs to be done.

I've previously owned Hondas and their owners manual always had instructions for basic service work.

Can anyone guide me on where I can find/buy/borrow instructions for basic service stuff?

Thanks for your help
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    The standing joke is that the Brit car makers only make vehicles so Brit mechanics will have plenty of work.

Seriously, the Land Rover's heyday as "the" off-road vehicle is over. The last couple of times I've been to Africa, the vehicles of choice were Toyota Land Cruisers. (They had a couple of pickup versions over there which aren't sold in the USA.) The folks I spoke to had nothing good to say about Land Rovers - they all said things went downhill when they started switching from leaf springs to coil springs in back.

I'm currently looking for a new SUV myself, and the 4Runner is a leading contender for my $$$. Land Rover's aren't even on the map.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Just go to the dealer, fork over the $30, and you'll be out in an hour with your oil change. As for lubing, well let's just say some dealers do it, others just check it off as having been done (my former dealer).

Personally, I'd let a dealer do the maintenance while the vehicle is under warranty. They'll build a profile of your vehicle and at given mileage intervals they'll suggest what services your vehicle needs. So far it's been a pleasant experience although I did have to change dealers during ownership as my selling dealer, Roseville Toyota of Roseville, California, was taking way too much time for warranty repairs, and in general trying to blame the owner for every problem the vehicle had.
  • grahmmgrahmm Member Posts: 28
    I agree with canddmeyer. Go to the dealer - being a Toyota owner + being retired from the service industry (dealership) I pay for my maintenance full bore as I've seen the damage that can be done by after market parts and poor workmanship at outside shops. I have the choice of how to approach it but for my money I would rather have a good relationship with my local dealer and service advisor (2 Toyotas/1 way out of warranty/1 new). Once you are comfortable with an advisor they can be of great assistance to you if warranty work is needed + if something is needed beyond the warranty period the track record built up is priceless when a decision has to be made at the dealer level or above. Well worth the investment. Let your owners manual and common sense guide you.
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    in regard to some question on towing capacity for a 4 runner.i tow a 25 ft.trailer with total weight of approx. 5500 lbs.the vehicle is equiped with a frame weight distribution hitch .the 4runner is a v6 and the toyota manual suggestion is 6400 lbs.for a v6 with a weight distribution hitch.i towed that same trailer with a 1996 4 runner v6 thro. the rocky mtns.that 1996 runner has 350,000 miles on it with no major repairs
    regards s
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

How much can the 4Runner SAFELY TOW with a short (110") wheelbase?

Not to mention at 5,500 pounds and a few passengers and their gear you were pushing the limit.
    Years ago I bought a special built Jeep so I could tow then had a trailer custom built thinking I had the correct tow vehicle. The trailer was within the towing spec's for the Jeep. As I lived a few hundred miles away from the delivering dealer I had the trailer towed by a professional. When he delivered it he complimented me on the way the trailer had been built then asked me what I was going to tow it with. I pointed to the Jeep and mentioned the capacity for which it was built and rated. He agreed the while the Jeep had the guts needed for towing he rightly pointed out that even with trailer brakes I did not have the stopping power needed in case of emergency + under high windy conditions I'd be fighting for control and all over the road. I took his word to heart and never tempted the fates. So my advise is be extremely careful and consider all conditions you will be subjecting your vehicle and to.
    "So my advise is be extremely careful and consider all conditions you will be subjecting your vehicle and to."

I agree! I have an '05 4Runner and tow about 4,500 pounds at 23 feet. I have the WD hitch and prodigy brake controller. Even tough the SUV is "rated" at 7,500 pounds, you gotta be crazy to tow anything longer or heavier!

Yet, by going to RV.Net I know there are guys doing it.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Greetings to all. Can anybody tell me if the Nav package can be dealer installed on a 06 Sport? Thanks alot.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Check the various toyota 4runner forums which show different types of Toyota Nav units that go right in. Also, aftermarket stuff is available,
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Thanks ponytrekker.
  • jepcfpcpajepcfpcpa Member Posts: 1
    99 4-Runner - on occasion, while sitting at a light or stop sign, completely stopped, it feels like someone has rear ended the car. Not enough to move the car forward, but we have felt that we were certainly hit from behind. Called dealer, they have never had a complaint like this. It doesn't happen often so they can't replicate it. Anyone elde have this problem? Only 68,000 miles. Thanks.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    There has been some discussion of this issue before. What has been discussed is that either when coming to a complete stop or when the brake is released afterh having come to a stop there is a thud in the driveline. This issue appears to affect the newer V8 4Runners that are in four wheel drive all the time. The solution (at least for me) has been to have the dealer lubricate the slip yoke. Maybe you can provide a little better description so that we can try and determine whether your problem is the same. However, I would suggest trying the above to see if it makes a difference!
  • carzancarzan Member Posts: 1
    i am trying to decide between 4 runner and honda pilot. presently in ny city but moving to north maine which would be better? should i buy in ny or in maine ? thanks for yr help.
  • coloroncoloron Member Posts: 14
    I just went through the same Pilot vs 4Runner decision. After driving both, the solid quality of the 4Runner won me over hands down. Another factor was the number of complaints in the Pilot forum about rattles, vibration and road noise. The new Pilot I test drove had all of these.
    I've never heard a single rattle in my 4Runner and it's very solid on the highway. However, if you need a people-hauler, the Pilot is the better choice. The third row seats in the 4Runner are a poor after thought. I didn't need the third row so that didn't play into my choice.

As far as which is best in Maine, I can't comment since I live in Colorado but the 4Runner seems very sure footed in the mountain snows we have here.

My only complaint about the 4Runner is a bit of gear whine on deceleration. Other than that, it's been perfect.
    Good luck on your decision!
  • janet7janet7 Member Posts: 1
    I had two freeze plugs replaced 3 months ago. I needed water in radiator 1 month later. Thot maybe mechanic forgot. 3 weeks ago NO WATER! Today almost no water. I/we cannot see where the water is leaking. We see no leaks.
    Please...HELP ME!
    Toyota 4Runner-1995. Good lil' running car otherwise.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    You may want to check the tax situation in Maine before purchasing a new vehicle. They have some weird formulas for paying taxes on a vehicle 7-years into ownership.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I just got me a beauty 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather ... oh what a comfortable ride and quality and luxury and ... I can go on and on... go for the 4Runner.

Keep up the good work TOYOTA with your toys :)

Good luck...

P.S.
    I used to have a 2005 Odyssey and got rid of it after 1 year of issues/problems... I was not happy at all with it and the quality was cheap plastic, never ever again HONDA, so I traded in for a 2006 Sienna Limited FWD fully loaded and I have no issue ever since...
  • bear8205bear8205 Member Posts: 3
    While we love my wife's new 4Runner, the 4th 4Runner she has had, we can't help but believe that Toyota really blew the interior lighting design. When you open the driver's or front passenger's doors there is no front seat interior lighting that comes on automatically. The dome light behind the sunroof is so far back the front seatbacks shadow the interior. You can reach in and manually turn on the map lights to find gloves, cell phone or whatever, but why in the world didn't Toyota wire the map lights into the courtesy light circuit. Our dealership service manager acknowledged the problem and suggested we might find someone somewhere who could do such a thing, but for such a well-designed vehicle, it is surprising how poorly this design element was executed. What on earth were they thinking???
  • bear8205bear8205 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone hear anything about when the factory satellite radio kits will be available for the 2006 4Runners??
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I've got 40,000+ miles on my 2003. I have to say that the interior lighting has never bothered me. If I need more light, I just reach up and hit the map light. That takes all of 1-2 seconds. When I'm done, I reach up and turn it off. That takes another 1-2 seconds. It's quite a physical strain, but somehow I manage ;)
  • ronnysronnys Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently having to rebuild my engine in my 95 4runner due to the same problem your discribing, I kept losing water and the truck would overheat. I had a small leak in the #6 cylinder of the head gasket, it was small enough that I was losing water through the exhaust and didn't notice because it would burn off as it passed through the muffler system. Have you noticed more water than normal under your tailpipe when you crank up after setting for a while? if so you might be having the same problem I had.
  • mountgirnarmountgirnar Member Posts: 9
    Just drove my 2005 V6 Limited to Mexico and back from New York. 8,500 miles on really terrible, terrible Mexican roads off the "autopistas" (the super highways).

Not a pause in carburation, a bobble,nor a rattle during the whole trip. I have simply never had a car this good.... and I've driven al over east Africa (Ethiopia)and the Middle East across Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan.

My only criticism is an ongoing one about the flat panel display being mostly unreadable in daylight.

On those awaul mountain roads.... I never believed I'd find a tire warning gauge a huge plus.

The heating worked fantastically as did the air-conditioning when needed ... 90 degrees on the Pacific coast day after day!

.... and when you need it.... when a Mexican 16 wheeler is about to smash you like a bug on their windscreen .... there is that fantastic engine that just turns this car into a rocket ship.

Amazing.

.... nobody in the US uses these cars up to their potential, or very few people. They are incredibly engineered. Five stars!

Best to you,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great trip report. And you got back to NY just in time to enjoy some snow. :D

Steve, Host
  • mldatuinmldatuin Member Posts: 2
    I just bought this awesome SUV 4 months ago with almost
    3k miles on it. However, I am only getting 15.5mpg and the
    posted mileage per owner manual is at least 16 to 19.
    Is this supposed to get better by aging? Is there any one
    having the same problem.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    My 06 SR5 is getting around 20 in town. About 22 on the hwy.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I got a beauty Shadow Mica 2006 4WD LTD V8 with less than 600 miles and I am getting between 17-18 miles mixed driving. I have no doubt that after 5-10k miles I will be getting close to 20 MPG. The first 1000 miles are the most critical to any vehicle.
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    2005 SE V8 4WD with 3500 miles. Approximately 18-19 mix driving, and about 20-21 hwy.
  • lildevil23lildevil23 Member Posts: 19
    that the 4 Runner will introduce a manual?? :shades: ..
    The gas mileage you experience is greatly dependent upon how you drive. If you drive in stop and go traffic and if you accelerate quickly you'll find that your mileage will be significantly worse. Accelerate gently. Avoid stop and go traffic when possible. On the highway, slow down below 65 mph and use the cruise control.

You should realize that the EPA ratings indicate how the vehicle performed in two very unrealistic government tests. The ratings are best used to compare different vehicles, not as a guage of what mileage you will actually see. That is, if vehicle 1 is rated 15/19 and vehicle 2 is rated 20/26, then you'll likely see better actual mileage in vehicle 2. It doesn't necessarly mean that if you buy vehicle 1 your mileage will be between 15 and 19 mpg. That's why they say "Your mileage may vary."
  • witchdoctorwitchdoctor Member Posts: 9
    Mine is bad too... I bought my brand new 05 4runner v8 awd last october... i have 5K miles on it and it still gets 15 mpg in mixed driving (and I drive easy). On the highway it is slightly better but not much because the truck cruises really nice at 75+. suppose if you drove below 65 it might do better.
  • witchdoctorwitchdoctor Member Posts: 9
    i used to tow a 23 ft boat (approx 4500 lbs) with the old style jeep cherokee.. Handled fine, the only pblm was overheating the small six cyl motor.
    I currently tow a 22 ft boat 3500lb with my 05 v8 4runner and I can barely tell that I'm towing anything. This thing is built for towing (i have the XREAS and load leveling system).
    "On the highway it is slightly better but not much because the truck cruises really nice at 75+. suppose if you drove below 65 it might do better." It will do a lot better below 65. IIRC, aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of velocity.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's everything you ever wanted to know about aerodynamic drag - in a more or less readable form. :)

tidester, host
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    Great vehicle (my wife's of course)! Been on Mobil 1 since new off the lot. 17-18 mpg city (hours of idling), 22-25 hwy @ 75-80 mph. Looking at one for me by end of the year (good-by Expedition) or an 06 Pathfinder LE (don't knock it until you check one out!). Just wish Toyota offered a powered liftgate option.
    "22-25 hwy 75-80 mph."

Those are remarkable mpg claims. I wouldn't count on getting those figures if your looking to buy one.
    I get 22mpg highway at times too. Always 20mpg+ on flat land. MPG takes a dive to 18mpg in the Sierra Nevada mountains going uphill on I-80 at posted highway speeds with the cruise on. Downhill though its easily 22mpg+. All mileage figures however are weather & tire dependent. Weather here is relatively mild & I have Dunslop tires. I have a 2003 SR5 V6 4X4 here too. City mileage is roughly 16mpg. Overall average is 17.8 from the date of purchase.
    How did you check the mileage? By the computer or by dividing miles driven by gas pumped into the tank?

I've found that the computer on my 4Runner is at least a couple MPG optimistic.
    Done it both ways.....display MPG is almost dead-on for me. I compared the display only during the first couple of tanks after buying the vehicle, and it was close enuf for me.

FWIW, at purchase I witnessed the dealer filling the tank til the pump shutoff automatically, and I went on my merry way. Drove home 9 miles, reset the display, recorded the miles, and enjoyed the vehicle til my next fill-up. The first tank averaged 14.8 MPG per the display figure. Ouch. I filled up & compared miles driven and the display was right on the money. Double OUCH. I reset the display again, compared miles driven at the next fill-up and lo and behold it was within a couple of tenths, although thankfully the second tank averaged 19+ IIRC. I haven't reset the display since the 2nd fill-up, as I was traveling during the first month of ownership and almost all the miles were highway miles. I felt the display was accurate enuf when I compared miles driven to gas pumped. I've since done occasional checks on long trips dividing miles by gas pumped and my highway MPG is always 20+ on the flatland. On the mountain highways it varies, but is never below 18 MPG.

I average 60% or more city driving. I feel my display MPG has been close enuf for me, although as you and others have posted it's also sometimes off by several MPG. Once again, I don’t live where the weather is very cold, so my averages may be higher than what others experience. Based on my initial comparisons when new I feel my display is pretty accurate with very little variation. Last but not least, the 17.8 overall average is with 4-HI unlocked engaged all the time.
    17.8 overall seems reasonable for the V6. 25 mpg doing 80 mph seems high to me.

On my V8 4WD, I can get 18.5 - 19.5 mpg on the highway, with cruise set at 65-70 mph.
    We towed a U-Haul trailer to East Texas from the bay area in California. We then drove without the trailer through Florida, up to N. Carolina and back to California. Towed the trailer at 65 to 75 MPH and drove 70 to 80 MPH without on the way back. We averaged 21 MPG for the trip (05 SR5 V6) 7200 troublefree miles driven. The trailer pulled the MPG down to 18.5 for the 1st leg of the trip so we averaged about 24 MPG when driving without it. Driving at highway speeds on shorter trips we
    average 23-24 MPG so I do not think any of the claims are out of line. We use Chevron gas whenever available as it is a cleaner burning fuel and kinder to the engine deposit wise (for the long term).
    Btw, I have only reset the mileage computer once in the 40,000 miles that I've put on the truck. It shows an average mileage of 19.3 mpg. That is at least 1-2 mpg higher than the true average, which is closer to 17-18 mpg overall.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    These 4 runners are heavily affected by wind because they have a large profile and less than stellar aerodynamic drag. I have had tanks--always measured on a round trip from and to the same gas station--get between 17 and 23.5 mpg during highway driving. It is usually around 20 mpg. My display is ALWAYS optomistic by 1.5-2 mpg.

I've noticed that if there is a stong head or cross wind, the mileage drops significantly. 80 mph bucking a head wind has dropped it all the way to 17 mpg. Windless, mild temperature days and moderate speeds allow it to get above the EPA estimates.
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    damn guys... I am getting better mpg than that with my 06 sports edition with a v8????
    19 in stop and go city traffic, :) and 22+ on the highway...
    dedhed: how are you computing mileage? Are you doing it by looking at the computer? Or are you calculating it the old-fashioned way -- miles drive divided by gallons pumped into the tank?

If you use the computer, I think you'll find it to be a couple miles per gallon optimistic.
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone out there ever installed TRD brake pads? Are their any drawbacks with installing these? After a long trip, the breaks fade and are scary. Also, I tow an 18 ft runabout and the braking is no great while towing?
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    Stop and go city traffic can sometimes get pretty good mileage if there isn't much "stop and go" and you end up driving a lot at 40-50mph. I often get great mileage driving on the Interstate through Denver, but as soon as I get outside of the city and speeds increase to 75-80, the mileage drops considerably.

Also, don't round up your mileage to the next 10 and round down the gallons to the next even gallon like a friend of mine used to do. The other thing I've seen people do is calculate the mileage and then top off the tank.

I just don't believe there is any way the V8 is consistently getting 22 during interstate driving at 70+ MPH. It is just not possible, not even if you overpressurize your tires. The EPA rating is only 19. If you can consistently get 20, consider that spectacular. Now, if you do a lot of cruising at 45-50, you might be getting that mileage.

Like I said, it varies tremendously. People tend to remember the best tank they ever had and claim they get that every time.
  • white4rwhite4r Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you. My 2004 4runner sport V8 got 23 mpg driving around Yellowstone Park 45 mph (Posted speed limit)and then 60 mph to Ashton Idaho to stay for the night. It did this two days in a row. Low constant speed makes for good gas mileage. Otherwise it is about 16.5 mpg around town and highway or about 2 mpg less than what the in board computor states. Mountains and speed reduce the mpg but mileage is within the 15-19 epa rating.
    "I just don't believe there is any way the V8 is consistently getting 22 during interstate driving at 70+ MPH. It is just not possible, not even if you overpressurize your tires."

The best tank we ever got was traveling through the Arizona desert at 65mph. It was 21mpg. My 17 year old was driving and we wouldn't let him go any faster.
    It's an '05 2wd with the V8.

But your right--no way can you get 22mpg CONSISTENTLY!
  • robkrunsrobkruns Member Posts: 4
    I want some fresh opinions on v6 versus v8. I am about to pick up a new limited 4runner on Monday. I don't tow anything. I was thinking the V8 might be quieter around town because of the added torque off the line. However, I am also thinking that it could be louder due to engine size. I am also wondering if the ability to put the V6 in 2wd mode versus full time 4wd of the V8 would cancel any of the advantages out over having a bigger engine. This car is for my wife and she would just like the most smooth, quite option. She loves the 4runner, so please don't say buy a highlander...:)