Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    My V8 is pretty quiet. It was a no brainer when I bought as they were selling them for 3k under invoice for the V8s. Street mileage is around 17 on regular which is what my wife gets in her Outback.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I own a V8 ('05 4Runner Sport w/2WD) and from what I have read, if I didn't tow a trailer I would have purchased the V6. With the V8 - Expect no more than 14mpg in town. Less if short trips. On the highway if you keep it at 65mph you will get about 20 mpg.

I know others claim more, and believe me my wife drives this vehicle very conservatively, so I don't know where these other figures are coming from. Especially those over the EPA numbers....
  • robkrunsrobkruns Member Posts: 4
    Thank you both for helping out. I am leaning towards a V6.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Drive them yourself and see which you think is quieter.

I've got a V8. But if you don't tow, I suggest you get the V6. It is a bit more fuel efficent (still not great) and every little bit helps these days.
  • jshoes51jshoes51 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a used '96 4Runner with a 5 spd tranny and v6 engine. To start the truck, I really need to push the clutch pedal HARD all the way to the floor. Just light contact with the floor won't allow it to start. I have to push really hard. Is there an adjustment on the switch that allows the engine to crank when the clutch pedal is pepressed? I know I can press the cancel-clutch-to-start switch to oeverride this.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2004 Limited with the V8. It is a quiet engine in my opinion. It is 4.7 Liter I-Force engine, the same engine that is in the Sequoia and Tundra. It is a powerful and proven engine which I would recommend. Coupled with the 5 speed auto transmission it is a seamless powerplant. I thought I had heard or read that there was some reliability concerns with the V6 engine anyhow.
  • witchdoctorwitchdoctor Member Posts: 9
    My 05 v8 ltd awd is super quiet, smooth, and powerful. I have never driven a v6 so I can't comment.
    One option that really adds to the ride is the X-REAS suspension - there is zero side to side rocking-jiggling-wobbling over any dips or uneven roads... this truck feels really stable at any speed.
    I traded a jeep grand cherokee on my 4runner... by comparison the JGC feels like a light wobbly and noisy POS - and, as a bonus, fully lived up to chrysler's legendary bad reliabilty reputation.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I thought I had heard or read that there was some reliability concerns with the V6 engine anyhow.

There are no reliability issues with the V6. As a matter of fact, I believe the V8 has a timing BELT, that needs to be replaced at a certain interval.....
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Is this the specific forum to post questions for 3rd Generation 4Runners? It seems that some post, but never get replied do to this being directed a 4th Generation? If so, where is the best forum to talk my issues about TRD brakes? Looked at the TRD forum, but last posting was in 2005?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We've been juggling and rearranging the discussions more by make/model the last month or so; this would probably be a good opportunity to split out the 4Runners by generations.

Someone is going to have to tell us what the cut-off dates are since we don't have a Generations story for the 4Runner up yet. I guess the 1st generation went from '84 to '89 from one discussion in the archives we can pull back in.

Steve, Host
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    I believe the first generation was 1984-89, second was 1990-1995, and third is 1996-2002.
    "One option that really adds to the ride is the X-REAS suspension - there is zero side to side rocking-jiggling-wobbling over any dips or uneven roads." I've got a 2003 V8 4WD Limited with X-REAS. I think the ride is a bit busy. XREAS does help the handling -- it corners pretty flat for a truck. But on a bumpy road I do feel some fore-aft pogoing that I find a bit tiring. It is a truck, after all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok, we have a couple of new "generations" discussions for owners and buyers of older 4Runners. Feel free to seek advice in one of them instead of wading through the 11,000 posts in this discussion.

Steve, Host
    I had been driving a jeep grand cherokee with very stiff suspension - there is absolutely no comparison at all, this rides like a very solid car. JGC was like a jiggly wobbly noisy truck.
    I don't notice any pogo'ing at all. I have the air leveling suspension, which may have something to do with the ride.
    Agree that it's pretty flat around corners, for a truck.

My biggest complaint is the idle. The v8 has good torque and when the idle increases (when ac compressor activates) the truck wants to move... it's hard to slow evenly because you have to balance the brake pressure against the engine idle-ing up or down. Passengers feel like I am stabbing the brakes because the higher idle requires more brake pressure, when the idle falls there is less power so the brakes grab.
    Dealer said it's not adjustable and is controlled by the computer. I would like to disconnect whatever solenoid bumps the idle.
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    i have a problem with my 2003 4runner.the abs ,vsctrac and vscoff light is on the dash.has any one experienced this and if so what was the problem.i have 91,000 km(about 55,000) miles.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Several of us have had the same problem, but we haven't all had the same fix. Reluctantly, you'll have to pay your dealer to figure it out, or use your extended warranty if you purchased one.
    witchdoctor: I end up putting the truck in neutral at most traffic lights for just that reason.
    I asked the dealers service mgr about the idle pblm... he said it's a Toyota thing that all owners get used to. Sounds like BS to me.
    I need somebody to tell me how to deactivate whatever causes the idle increase/decrease. I've heard that putting trans in/out of gear is bad for tranny.
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    I've heard of this problem and the issue was a bad O2 sensor.
    "I asked the dealers service mgr about the idle pblm... he said it's a Toyota thing that all owners get used to. Sounds like BS to me." I doubt it is BS. Mine has done that since I got it, 40k miles ago.
  • udsavudsav Member Posts: 11
    Anyone see a problem with towning a 10X16 uhaul trailor with a 05 4-runner V6 2wd? they say full it is 3500 lbs
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    I have 03' Sport V6 which by far has been best of my three 4-Runners. However, recently it has developed a hissing sound [like letting air out of balloon] from right front dash. It is off and on but mostly on. It is not effected by either the heater or fan being off. Same for radio being off or all other gadgets. It stops when car is turned completely off but stars again when key is turned on but motor not started. Anyone have any ideas what noise might be coming from???
  • lkklkk Member Posts: 2
    I have a manual 5 speed 4 wheel drive 1999 toyota 4 runner. I want to tow it behind my motorhome. Do I have to do anything special to tow this car?
    lk
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    I have been "trusting" the computer....
    Perhaps this is not a wise choice.....
    ... though this is the first that I have heard this claim of a skewed computer?????
    "though this is the first that I have heard this claim of a skewed computer" Don't trust me, or the computer. It's very easy to compute. Next time you fill up, reset the mileage computer and your trip odo. The time after that, note the mileage, gallons used to fill the tank, do the division and double check the computer.

The computer on my 03 V8 4Runner is 1-2 mpg optimistic. The same was true of my 2000 VW GTI GLX.
    Ok, today my 2005 V8 just died while driving. Luckily I was on a quiet street 2 miles from my house, and was able to coast to the curb. Dealer flatbedded it and called me to say "Yep. It's broke" and they hope to look at it next week.

Wow, with this kind of reliability, I am going to run, not walk to the BMW dealer and get a CPO 5 series next week.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Once the diagnosis is completed, can you please tell the rest of us what went wrong? I own a 2003 4-Runner with the V8 and am interested in finding out what went wrong.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    What was wrong with your 2005 4Runner V8? Was it anything serious?
    Unfortunately, dealer still has no clue. first (after 2 days) they said fuse box, which an 8-year old would know isn't the problem as I had full accessory power.

Second, they said computer, which they need to order as it takes over a week.

They have offered me a loaner but I am starting to initiate a lemon law claim, just in case.

BMW never took more than 2 days to fix anything I ever had go wrong with the car.
  • jocko3jocko3 Member Posts: 1
    We are considering 06 4runner with navigation. We are interested in feedback from those that own the systems. Are they the same systems that are in the Lexus RX?
  • 91n01furrunna91n01furrunna Member Posts: 5
    2001 4runner with 100,000. Have had these lights on for months with the check engine light also. Finally decided to have Toyo Dealer check it out. $75 for a computer check and Im now told I need a $400 charcoal cannister while others seem to be told they need a few dollar 02 sensor.
  • mminkousmminkous Member Posts: 6
    4runner nav system is much less user-friendly than, say, the honda/acura ones, in my opinion. for example, you can't input practically nothing while the vehicle is moving. while i can see that this is a safety feature to prevent absent-minded drivers to cause accidents on the road, toyota seems to forget that the passenger seat may not always be empty and there can always be someone else in the car who can safely fiddle with the knobs and buttons. the other disappointing fact is that if you opt to "upgrade" to navi, you practically have to downgrade from a possible 6-CD in dash to a single-disc in-dash. the navi interface is basically the same for the rx.
  • moto7moto7 Member Posts: 13
    Since the 07 Camry and pickup has been exposed, has anyone heard any rumors about the 2007 4 Runner - info or announce date?? I'm set to buy an 06 Sport, but wonder if I should wait.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    It should not change appreciably. It is still too early in the cycle (4th generation), and they did a major cosmetic change in 2006. I would not wait for the 2007 models, especially if you could take advantage of the end-of-the-year sales and higher cost of fuel impacting SUV sales. My best bet for the 5th generation would be the 2009 year model, maybe 2008 but less likely. I have a 2005 4WD V8 SE and am very happy with it. July and August should be the best months to buy.
    Thanks for the reply biglatka. Good reasonable advise, so I'll be looking for a deal on a 2006. Besides, I'm too anxious to wait anyway, since my old 93 Explorer has lost its appeal (but has been a great, dependable truck).
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    So why not another explorer, then? What brings you to the dark side? ;)
    I agree with biglatka. Given the refresh for the 2006 model year, I doubt there will be much change for 2007.
    Wanted something a little smaller with a (little) better MPG. The newer Explorers "look"
    big - hard to tell from the Expeditions. Would go with a Highlander, but need to tow a trailer and go on jeep roads (Colorado).
  • mathgirlmathgirl Member Posts: 4
    And take a look at my latest internet offer for an '06. I need help determining if it's a good deal!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Have you looked at the 2006 Mercury Mountaineers, Nissan Pathfinder, or Vw Touareg? The mountaineer is essentially the same as the explorer but much nicer inside :surprise: ! If you buy one top of the line, its cheaper than an explorer and comes standard with a 3rd row of seats(power for an extra $450) and has power running-boards like a navigator (they come out when a door is opened and go in when door is closed) as an option. The pathfinder is about equal in price and has about 20hp less than the v8 in either explorer or mountaineer. The nissan comes standard with a 3rd row of seats and has great gas mileage :) and a large payload and towing capacity. The touareg has more power than all 3 i mentioned when comparing v6s to v6s and to v8sto v8s but is the most expensive :sick:. Overall, I'd recommend the 4runner unless you need a 3rd row of seats :).
    Yes, looked at all those you mentioned (except Toureg and likewise Volvo XC90 - way too expensive and reliability reports depressing). MY personal impressions - Pathfinder - don't care for the new chopped off rear appearance. Explorer/Mountaineer - "look" too big and unimpressive MPG. Which led me to the 4runner (your final suggestion). From what I've read, heard, the Toyota will be dependdable, offer performance/features i need.
  • runner06runner06 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if toyota is gonna continue production of the 4Runner after 2007. I've talked to some people and they told me that a new SUV (the Toyota Fortuner) is going to take the place of the 4Runner in the future. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • thomasrcthomasrc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Toyota 4runner with the 4 cyl. engine and manual trans. Everything is stock. The stated towing capacity is 5000 lbs. for the vehicle. My question is can I tow a 19 foot boat with a boat/trailer weight of about 1900 with the 4 cyl. engine?
  • tjimtjim Member Posts: 3
    Forget the factory nav system and pick up a Garmin StreetPilot for about $500. You can use it with multiple vehicles. Girl friend loves hers, and it's remarkably accurate and user-friendly
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Does yours have the towing package? And are you sure about the 5000 pound limit? I thought that was with the V-6. Not sure though. The dealer could give you these answers pretty quickly if the manual does not, and no-one else here responds.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• loulloul Member Posts: 8
    I would be doubtful '97 w/4Cyl w/stick-shift has 5,000 lb tow rating. That's the rating for the 2006 V6 w/Automatic.

The 4.7L V8 is only rated at 7,000 lbs (I have one).

Our former tow vehicle (a '97 Explorer 4.0L V6 w/Stick-shift) was only 2,600 lbs!

Check your manual for your specs.

Lou
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Has anyone here had road stability difficulties with their 4Runner? I'm inquiring because a number of posters on the Lexus GX470 board, myself included, have noted that keeping the vehicle straight on a straight highway isn't easy, that they start swaying w/ the slightest breeze at speeds above 70, and at speeds above 80 they're simply unstable even without wind. There's a constant fight with the steering wheel to keep the GX on the straight and narrow. There have also been several complaints about the cruise control downshifting and upshifting with even slight changes in road contour. Overall, we're VERY disappointed with these SUV's and in my personal experience the Grand Cherokee we traded in for the GX was a FAR better road vehicle. Is this unique to the Lexus brand or is it endemic to the Toyota breed? Thanks. Bart :shades:
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I'm the original owner of an '03 4Runner Limited (V8, AWD, Michelin Cross Terrains rotated every 5000 miles). My truck has over 60,000 miles on the odometer, and I've never experienced any of the problems you've mentioned. Quite the contrary, in fact-- my 4Runner is the best handling, smoothest, and most sure-footed, sure-tracking SUV I've ever owned. My truck's powerful, torque-ladened V8 engine and 5-speed tranny, perform smoothly and effortlessly when the cruise-control is engaged, and I drive my truck about 400 miles/week, mostly on highways, and typically at cruising speeds between 75-85 mph.

Ive not driven the Lexus GX470, but I've seen plenty of them on the road, and they strike me as looking rather top-heavy and tall compared with the 4Runner. Maybe this excessive height and top-heaviness has something to do with your complaints regarding tracking and steering at highway speeds?

Aside from checking alignment, etc., I think there are two other important issues to consider: (1) The quality and condition of the tires. I firmly believe that Michelin Cross Terrains are the finest general-purpose SUV tires, and I know a number of master technicians who feel the same way. I've repeatedly heard these technicians opine that when a vehicle continues to have handling problems after all other conceivable remedies have been exhausted, a switch to a new set of Cross Terrains often solves or greatly improves the problem. (2) Even when driving on Cross Terrains, it is essential to have these or any other tires "road-force balanced". http://www.craigautometrics.com/huntergsp9700.htm If your Lexus/Toyota service center doesn't own a road-force balancing machine with trained and experienced technicians, look for another shop that does.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Maybe this excessive height and top-heaviness has something to do with your complaints regarding tracking and steering at highway speeds?

Thank you for your thorough response, and you're confirming a suspicion of mine ... the GX470 is top-heavy w/ too much freeboard to act like a sail. It's also interesting that you comment on the Michelin Cross Terrains ... those tires were recommended to me by a local guru on cars/trucks. Bart :) :shades: