Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    "This is from a 1927 Graham-Paige. Whaddya all think? "

I think you got it, Shifty. Looks like that design is a match.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    The link doesn't work - but no matter. Shifty is right. It's a ca. 1927 Graham-Paige. The hubcap looks right, and a quick google image search found a few others with disc wheels and a similar hood ornament

Like this (this one is a 28):

Here's another, but slightly different wheels:

Mystery solved!
  • samwgsamwg Member Posts: 5
    Boy... what I learned about vintage cars in one day! How did we live before the internet?

Thanks so much to all who helped - I really appreciate it.

regards
    Sam
  • blacksnowdogblacksnowdog Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone identify this car in The Prisoner (2009) ?

">

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-prisoner-cars-photos/black-car.jpg
    Looks like a Bentley S3 Continental, probably 1963-65
    I think it's a '65ish "Chinese Eye" Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III:
  • kbakalarkbakalar Member Posts: 3
    The movie shows my grandfather and his sons (including my father) on a New York street (probably in the Bronx). I think Grandpa Moses is showing off his new car. I am trying to date the film accurately. Does anyone know the model and year of the car?

">link title
    The link got lost when I save the original message
    This mailer keeps deleting the link I am trying to store that points to the movie on Google. Let me try again, but this time stripping off the brackets <> to fool it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=Ken.Bakalar&target=PHOTO&id=54203827- 81891344002&aid=5420372393976946337&authkey=Gv1sRgCKaisPymu6m8bg&feat=email
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Judging from the car and other cars on the street, (no turret type cars passing), and by the clothing styles, I'd say 1928-1930 would be about right.

The car is elusive to me, but it's definitely a "middle-class" car, not a cheap Chevy or Ford.
    I am pretty certain that's a 1929-31 Cadillac...as I can't tell if the hood has doors or louvers, I can't tell which year for sure.
    Could be. It's definitely an upscale car. It's tantalizing...I wish the camera would have moved down just another 12 inches, to be certain.

There were, after all, hundreds of American makes, and many were copy-cats.
  • norton4norton4 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone identify the car in this photo? My grandfather is the one wearing gauntlets and standing in front of the car, partially obscuring it. The child being held was born in Nov., 1915, and I'm guessing he's about 2 years old. So the photo dates around 1917-1918". I don't know if the car was new at that time or not.
    Thanks for your help.
    ">
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    If it's not a Cadillac, it's definitely a LaSalle. The radiator mascot is the giveaway. That's the famous Cadillac "goddess."
  • notgeezer123notgeezer123 Member Posts: 3
    I'm guessing that the following photograph was taken circa 1930, based on the looks of the cars shown. I assume they're inexpensive cars, since they probably belonged to the teachers from the high school they're parked next to.

http://bostontech.info/zenphotofiles/index.php?album=building-photos&image=bldg-- with-cars-and-new-lamppost.jpg&p=*full-image

Can anyone lend a hand? I don't need to pin down the year exactly, though it would be fun to know more about what those cars are. If my father were still alive he'd have no trouble ID'ing them, but ...

Thanks a lot in advance,

Tom Hayden
    I'd say the photo is from around 1930 yeah. The cars are pretty tough to make out, but I think that's a ca. 1930 Chevy nearest the flag at right. The third car at right, cut off, makes me think of a period Chrysler. The cars at left, all rear end views, are very difficult. I am sure there's a Ford Model A or two in that bunch, anyway.
    I agree 1928 to 1932, somewhere in there.
  • notgeezer123notgeezer123 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much.

Tom
    No problem

You might have more luck at the forum linked here where there are more experts.
  • bkfordbkford Member Posts: 5
    I have a photo of my grandmother as a young woman, standing next to her car, which I cannot identify. Is there a way to attach a photo here for help?
  • bkfordbkford Member Posts: 5
    Thank you. I'm trying that forum.
  • soundthinkingsoundthinking Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I need an automobile identified from a vintage photograph from the 1940s. Can anyone help? Not sure how to attach the image. Can anyone help?

Cary">
    First off, to post here your image has to reside on a server of some type---so you'd have to scan in to your computer, and then post it say on a Photo Website, or you can create your own Carspace Page here at Edmunds at www.carspace com.

Once it is residing somewhere, copy the URL of the photo's location, and come back here to post it.

Once you're in one of our "post a message" boxes, you click on the little "IMG" tab below the box, and a little HTML string code will appear, then paste in the URL you have copied, then click on the image box again. That should work.

When you paste in the URL, be sure it's clean, that is, that the last symbols in the string you past in say JPG
  • wcwindom56wcwindom56 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to be doing a painting of this photo & I'm trying to identify the vehicle. I have searched the web for hours with no luck. I know the picture was taken mid 20's to early 30's.
    http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x311/wcwindomart/Windomaggus-1.jpg
    Almost looks like a Dodge logo on there---get those people to move, will you--LOL!

Car looks like about a 1927-ish vehicle.
    It's a tough one, the way the logo dips into the radiator area is the clue...but it's just too bright to see.

It looks like 1929-30 Chevy to me.
    Could be---not much to go on here. At any rate, we are in the right vintage, and we know it's not an expensive car, and we know it's American.
  • roroldamroroldam Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help to identify this make, seen in a French film set in the 1930s:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47013359@N02/4496590220

thanks

roroldam
    Tough one. Both Opel and Vauxhall used a similar grille shape, but I don't think it is one of those. The body looks very French to me.

This site has some Euro experts who can probably ID it in a few seconds
    Prewar French cars can be tough. There are plenty of fairly obscure manufacturers. I have a Spotter's Guide to prewar French cars buried somewhere..... :cry:
  • roroldamroroldam Member Posts: 2
    Now identified .

Alain Fontaine, who has a site devoted to the Ford AF (fordaf1930.free.fr/), identified it for me as a Chenard and Walcker.

I should be able to work out the exact model from the C & W club site (http://chenardwalcker.free.fr/).

Thanks to everyone who put their mind to it.
    Interesting, that's an obscure make if there ever was one...I am pretty sure they didn't even have a postwar product.
  • melsmexmelsmex Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone!

I am trying to find out what model and year the following car is: http://www.jarkiewicz.com/new%20images/Jan_Ma5.gif

It is my grandfather sitting in the car. I would really appreciate any help.

thank you
    I think that's a Packard, around 1914. Here's a link to a (large) photo of one that looks a lot like yours:
    1914 Packard
    edited May 2010
    Thanks! That certainly looks like it.
    :)
    edited May 2010
    No problem. The sign on the ground in front of it call it a model 2-38 Phaeton (yours might be that, or a touring car). You can find out LOTS of info about Packards at www.packardinfo.com.

p.s. - you were lucky it's a Packard - they're one of the few distinctive cars of that time (the radiator shape, in particular). Most are very hard to tell apart, or were made in so few numbers they're hard to ID.
    Great, thanks - you've been so helpful! I really appreciate it. I've been trying to figure this out for a few years now.

thanks again..

Mel
  • makitmamamakitmama Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    This photo was taken in 1955 in France. Any idea what model car this is?
    I CAN"T get the image web address to work- the photo is in my album.
    Looks like an Opel Olympia/Rekord from around the time of the photo
  • makitmamamakitmama Member Posts: 2
    that's it! thank you sooo much..
    First car - 1940 Ford (I'm pretty sure), second car - 1938 Ford.
  • jeanette6jeanette6 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate it so much if you could identify the make, model and year of the auto in the attached link (you might need to scroll down a bit):

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/417207/view/2761806/-1/1.html

Thank you!
    1937 Ford coupe
  • cal78cal78 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a wonderful 1937 Packard , probably a 120 roadster
    Fin got it, here's a modern pic, top up:
    Thanks! So is it a 1914 or a 1937? Actually, I don't think my grandfather could have had a 1937. He was too young in the photo.

thanks again,
    Melanie
    This is a picture for different Packard question, not your 1914. It did confuse me for a while...
    The car might be a few years old--that is, I don't think the picture was taken in 1937. The women's dress is more 40s.