Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SubaruAWD_variations_and_comparisons

kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Discuss Subaru AWD similarities, differences, and compare Subaru AWD to other AWD systems.

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I declare this a flame free zone. :)

BTW, mine's better than yours. :P
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Wrt AWD all I know is from reading various articles and viewing the Subaru demo videos, which revealed weaknesses as well as strengths in Forester XT.
    In the ridiculously rutted road course where Forester had two wheels in air much of the time, Forester certainly did not respond instantly when accelerated; it took a few tries before the vehicle braked the spinning wheels and actually started moving again.
    As for the competiton, the Subaru videos only showed quick clips of 4 other Crossovers hung up on various points of that same test track.
    We also have the demos on Catalina Island showing Foresters clawing their way up hills while the CR-V (not known for having great AWD per CU and other testers) got nowhere in a hurry.

Whatever...
    Guess is the Outback XT with its mechanical LSD would have the edge over Forester on same super rutted track. On other hand, the LSD will probably burn up some extra power due to internal clutching action (one reason, perhaps, why the Outback XT's MPG is worse than the Forester.), and is prone to noise.

Also guess is that XT's AWD won't be as good as some other brands for high speed Track purposes.

Anyway, I have my Auto Socks ready for next year, just in case! :shades:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Guess is the Outback XT with its mechanical LSD would have the edge over Forester on same super rutted track. On other hand, the LSD will probably burn up some extra power due to internal clutching action (one reason, perhaps, why the Outback XT's MPG is worse than the Forester.), and is prone to noise.

The subies lsd is viscous coupled and doesn't lockup nearly as much as a clutch/mechanical lsd. It's also quieter and doesn't burn as much gas.

-mike
    Interesting. I wonder why Subaru omitted the LSD from the Forester for '09.
    To save money?
    It doesn't serve a purpose with the abls in the vdc system. Only a true mechanical lsd (like 08 sti and spec b) would serve as a benefit on cars equipped with ABLS/VDC.

-mike
    abls? automatic brake lock system ?

Might next Outback dispense with its LSD's as well? Given VDC and VTC introductions, it seemed the Outback had redundant systems given it had VDC added on top of its drive system.
    ABLS is Anti-lock Brake Limited Slip, which uses the abs to shift power left and right on an axle.

I fully expect to see the viscous LSD disappear on the OB and Legacies in 2010. You'll see VDC across the board and mechanical LSDs in the STi and Spec B or whatever the "performance" edition of the Legacy is.

-mike
    Ah. Compared to my former Maxx, The disk brakes seem unusually beefy on the Forester. Hopefully they have the capability to handle that sort of additional use.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Check out the terrain, they were definitely testing the AWD capabilities...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=51689
    A pity there were no video comparisons of AWD action.
    Also interesting that the Aussie Subie has Bridgstones - USA ones (including mine) have the Yokohamas they did not like.
    The new Nissan GT-R, per a Jay Leno web video here at Edmunds, can only send 0 - 50% of its power to the front of the vehicle (it's heavilly biased towards RWD). However, its rear differential changes its limited slip characteristics so that when deaccelerating, it becomes more "open"; this is to help avoid oversteer.
    So they made it less fun, then. ;)
  • epgolfsepgolfs Member Posts: 16
    Huh????

Are you referring to VTD? I know you're a host & all, but - I've never once seen Subaru use "ABLS" in ANY of their nomenclature. :confuse:

I agree with the rest of your comment. Considering it's about a $400 (retail) upgrade & that it's now standard in the Forester, it's likely that VDC will become standard throughout the line. Suby uses VTD in their higher-end / high torque engines/tranny configurations. (Yes, mechanical clutch pack & planetary gearset center differential.)
    it's likely that VDC will become standard throughout the line

I think that's right - the 09 Legacy and Outback also made it standard.
    ABLS- It's included with VDC, it uses the ABS system to stop a slipping wheel, ABLS is not the nomenclature used by Subaru, however that's what it is. Everyone has a version of it, MB uses it in all their cars in place of an LSD, etc.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.