Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Avalon

bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
It is too early to begin talking about the 2010 Avalon? Any spy pics, dramatic changes, or should Toyota drop the Avalon entirely. To me the Avalon is not as luxurious nor as attractive as the Camry and I would not be surprised if Toyota discontinued the line.

The Avalon started well as a flagship for the brand but in its current iterationI am not sure how they are positioning it compared to the Camry. To be be considered a flagship brand the Avalon should be more substantial and luxurious but in version 3 (2005 - 2008) it ain't.

Would like to hear readers thoughts.

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I read somewhere that the Avalon wasn't getting a redesign until 2011. Maybe someone could confirm? As for your comments about the Avalon I really think you are off the mark. I came out of an '03 which was a fine car, just a bit boring. The '05 redesign gave the car a little personality, more room and one hell of an engine. The look is subjective, my Mother has an '09 Camry SE and in that trim, certainly looks sportier than my Avalon. A friend has a fully loaded '07 XLE V6 Camry that I have driven and I can tell you while very similar to the Avalon, the Av is more isolated from the road and has a better ride. Also my '06 XLS (not fully loaded) has everything the Camry has except for the "smart key". The Limited has things the Camry doesn't even offer, cooled seats, laser cruise, signal mirrors. Its also the little touches in the Avalon that make it nicer for me, such as variable temp on the heated seats, auto up/down driver and pass windows, the indirect lighting on the overhead console, and the integrated information display. I would be very surprised if Toyota kills the Avalon or changes it much. It sells fairly well without incentives and is the benchmark of the large sedans (under 40K). The only one in the price range that comes close is the Azera.

Just out of curiousity what would you do to the current Avalon to make it more "luxurious" without driving the price north of 40K? If you want more lux than the Av offers head down to the "L" dealer they will be happy to sell you an LS for 75K :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    More luxurious than avalon is the lexus ES but the back seats are small

As u said that lexus are made in japan where are most of the toyotas made in?

I know land cruiser is japan and the 4 door yaris as well if i am not wrong but what about the other models camry avalon etc etc
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Couldn't agree with you more tjc78. I traded in a sedan deville when I bought my 07 avy, and In all honesty, the avy's interior is much nicer than the deville I had.. I thought the deville was rather "plain"... the deville did have a bit of a smoother ride, but the 275 hp Northstar didn't seem to offer my any more "get up and go" than the 268 hp engine in my avy..... as for the lexus being more luxurious than the avy, maybe so.. I test drove one before I bought the toyota... There were some things that I considered "nicer" than the avalons, but nearly nice enough to compensate for the difference in price.. at least not in my book...

Roland
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Given the level of growing public awareness of the safety hazards arising from FWD and F/AWD I would not be surprised to see the next Avalon model based on the Lexus GS series.

Now THAT would return, undoubtedly return, the Avalon to "Flagship" status.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Definitely not too early to start a discussion on the 2010. The '09 model will be out in 5 months, so the next generation should be well under way in the design stage. It will, of course, be all new if the pattern holds. Having owned one of each generation I firmly believe that each has been an improvement over the prior model. Granted there were some things I liked that were lost to each change, each is still a better car overall than the prior generation. But now what?

If Avy goes AWD only and the gas mileage drops, there will be lots of buyers looking at the competition. How many people really need it for 2 grand or more and less fuel mileage? As an option, OK. But don't put a hump in the rear seat floor on the FWD models. And even more power is available from this engine so why not keep it. And the 6 speed if it works well.

As a potential buyer for a 2010, all additional design rumors, spy pics and other comments would be more than welcome... :)
  • george5george5 Member Posts: 23
    The Avalon needs to bring back the front BENCH SEAT. They had these in the first and second generation, but not the current 3rd. It is quite nice and different to have a bench seat in the front - making it feel more spacious and open. Secondly, I'd like to see Park Assist Sensors to help with parking and/or a back-up camera standard. These are great safety features, and as to why they are not on this wonderful car so far, it's mind boggling. I know you can buy a Lexus with these, but the Lexus's don't even come close to how wonderful and roomy the Avalon is!! I have a 1995 Avalon and I LOVE IT. Still runs like new!! Way to go Toyota!
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The bench seat was my son-in-law's favorite as he is a large man but I don't think the demand is strong enough to bring back bench seats.

Now, with gasoline prices expected to reach $7 by the end of the year perhaps Toyota will have to go back to the drawing board to come up with a more fuel efficient Avalon design.

No longer can Toyota or any manufacturer continue to build behemoths without significant sales decline. If Toyota insists on keeping the Avalon at its current weight and size it will have to use a more advanced hybrid or even an all electric plug-in.
    If Toyota insists on keeping the Avalon at its current weight and size it will have to use a more advanced hybrid or even an all electric plug-in.

The Avalon is probably the most efficient large car on the market. 30+ Hwy is more than doable at 65 - 70. My weekend travels of about 250 miles 80% hwy / 20% city yielded me 26.5 MPG and that was with the air on/ 80+ MPH and 95 degrees outside. Not too bad IMO.

We all want the cars we drive to be more fuel efficient. Maybe a hybrid, hydrogen or all electric Avalon is in the future. But if you look around at what you can reasonably buy today, the Avalon offers a lot of size and comfort with excellent acceleration, and at about 30 mpg on the road, great gas mileage. This combination is hard to beat.

If Toyota wants to bring something back for 2010, how about "visibility" so you see out better. More glass. And a back up camera, standard with Nav. Never thought about a return to the bench seat option, but that could be a winner...... :)
    This combination is hard to beat.

Actually.... I don't think anyone has yet. The Avalon is now almost 4 years old and still at the top of the class. As for the bench seat don't see it returning anytime soon. My dealer told me that even on the prior generation they would never order the bench seat option. IMO bench seating is dead, the only cars I can even think of that still have it available are the Grand Marquis/CV/TC, the Lucerne and maybe the Impala. If they want to do anything to the seating in the Avalon make the seats more like the '00 - '04 they were fantastic.

• hawiianavownerhawiianavowner Member Posts: 76
    The main reason I bought my 2000 Av was for the bench seat. Even if the front middle is not occupied, my right knee appreciates the xtra space. I was all set to buy the Camry until I drove the Avalon.
  • geremyggeremyg Member Posts: 1
    Although many of the models are being produced in the United States, Japan still contributes supply of most models. Georgetown, KY is the stateside home of the Avalon, as well as the camry. Which makes sense because the avalon is on a stretched camry frame. However, Japan still produces camrys. True, the yaris and land cruiser are made exclusively in japan. But then so is the Rav 4 (which is on the camry frame, and the Prius. And even though the Corolla has long come out of the California plant they share with GM, A good number of the 09' corollas have been coming from Japan.
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    I was checking out Toyota's web page and ran across their upcoming and concept vehicles. The Toyota Crown was shown as a concept vehicle which is a full size sedan curently sold in Japan. Does this indicate the Toyota Crown or a new version may be the Avalon replacement if we have one?

http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/crown.html

Thanks,

George
    Personally I'm waiting for an A-BAT and Hybrid-X "crossbreed".

Love the look of the Hybrid-X, hate the look of the A-BAT, but LOVE the A-BAT's basic "pickup" concept.

http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/hybridx.html
  • henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    You may be right. I just looked at the Avensis site. It's a 106" wheelbase with a four cylinder engine. The engine is more in tune with European standards.

On a different subject - one peeve of mine about my Avalons (2006 and 2008) is the massive blind spot on the driver's side. You have to really do a head turn and lane check before moving to the left, the mirrors don't adequately show a car on your left flank.

Still love the Avalon, think it's the best kept secret in the automotive world. Great ride, many hi-tech features, decent fuel economy and 4 inch longer WB than the Lexus. I would not trade my Avalon for a Lexus even swap.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    If you adjust the mirrors the way the Car Talk guys indicate on their web site, it eliminates the blind spot on both sides of the car. The down side, of course, is that you have to readjust them for backing up. If you have memory mirrors (the Limited has them), it's quite easy to put them back into the "driving" position after backing up.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    For what it's worth, I stopped by a local Toyota dealership last weekend, and while there I asked them if the 2010 year would be the last year of production for the Avalon... they actually seemed shocked. Told me that they hadn't heard anything from Toyota about the Avalon line being discontinued..

Roland
    I got the same reaction at my local dealership. However, if the past is any indication, the 2009 model should be the last year for this generation of the Toyota Avalon. The first generation was from 1995 through 1999, the second generation from 2000 through 2004, and now the third generation from 2005 through 2009. I believe we will see something new for the fourth generation in 2010. I am wondering if it will be something like the Crown on the existing Avalon, Camry, and Lexus ES350 chassis. Would like to hear what others are projecting.

Thanks,

George
    All things look as if its being dropped. They already, dropped the Touring model and everything I have read leans toward a stretched Camry as the replacement. Remember, large cars took quite a hit with the high gas prices, although its coming down I don't think people will soon forget.

• ksward74ksward74 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2001 Avalon which I dearly loved, but since it was my first Toyota, and being a former owner of only American made cars, I got scared when the mileage went up to 100,000 and traded it off for a 2006 Camry. I have never been satisfied with my Camry because I loved my Avalon so much. The Camry is a great car, but just not the quality of my Avalon. I have thought about getting a new Avalon but feel they look so similar to the Camrys, why pay the price when they look just alike and want to wait until you can visibly see the difference. Does anyone know when the body style of the Avalon is going to change?
    Here is the latest Avalon rumor...... the source is a relative (at Toyota in Japan) of one of the service writers at my dealership: The Avalon, as we all know it, is history for 2010.

The word at Toyota is simply that the global slowdown means that every model line must justify its own production. There is no room for error. While the Avalon is not expensive to build as a car based on the parts, the assembly line costs per unit are far in excess of what is reasonable. Volume is too low. So, no more of the current design will be made after 2009, and even this MY run may be cut short.

The good news here is that Toyota wants a car that will get what buyers there are into the showroom, so a "replacement" Avalon may be coming. Exactly what that car will be is still under discussion. There are other Toyota products that could be added to the current US models. We have seen them here on Edmunds.com. Or they might modify a Camry...somehow. No decisions yet but Toyota is thinking.... Could they keep the name? Maybe. But the car will be very different from what we now enjoy as the '05 to '09 Avalon.

All this is rumor, of course..
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    If Toyota goes with an AWD version of the new Avalon, sales will go through the roof and I would be one of the first ones waiting. Any news from anyone??
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Toyota isn't about to let up, even if they are one of the causes of the American auto problems. They are to blame, but ONLY because they make a far superior car:).

That being said, the Avalon will or MAYBE replace, but it will only be done with a much better, cooler, neater feature packed model.

You don't change something unless it's needed, and sales of the Avalon are going very well, and Toyota WILL change it and add those features asked for by it's owners.

I've told to several folks in the know, and I'm getting this for responses.

The Avalon is a wonderful car, and it's base is growing monthly. It IS digging into sales of the Lexus, and this is something Toyota is looking into.

Do we (Toyota) bring the price of the Avalon up, so as to lessen the gap between it and the Lexus?

Do we (Toyota) drop the unit from the Toyota lineup?

Do we drop it, and make a larger Camry (Camry Touring Sedan, Camry LS)?

Do we (Toyota) simply make the changes folks are asking for to the current Avalon, and adjust the price accordingly (this is the statement getting the best response), as in "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" and for sure "If it's working, don't mess with it"!

MANY Lexus owners are switching to the Avalon Limited and as they put it (Lexus Owners) "Putting the extra $10,000 - $20,000 in their pockets), if all I loose is a bit of status amongst my Lexus friends … I can live with this, and spend the extra money on a vacation, cruise or maybe a bit of extra pocket change.

The day I picked up my Avalon Touring Sedan, their were 2 doctors who had just sold and or traded their 4 year old Lexus and were picking up Avalon Limiteds. One of the doctors came over and introduce himself and said "Welcomed to the club" and walked away smiling?

My salesman said they have had a steady increase in Lexus owners coming in this year doing the same thing. He said the good news was that the dealership had some really nice clean Lexus's for re-sale (no Lexus dealer in our area) and the other was that they got to sell a lot of Avalons, which was good for the dealership.

And to the person above who said he had a Camry but wanted the Avalon but it looked so much like a Camry … blah, Blah, well I'm here to tell you - EVERYONE who has seen me with my New Avalon, has noticed it wasn't a Camry! And more then that I noticed it's not my Camry. I had 2007 Camry,which was a great car, for what it is, but is NOT a Avalon.

Skip
    More and more these days "upscale" means NO inexpensive, CHEAP, UNSAFE, FWD or F/AWD. Since the Avalon is now being recognized as being on the bottom edge of the upscale market the FWD aspect must go....
    Ok, so lets see what folks think

2010 Avalon specs:

- All new body design
    - AWD (at least an option) RWD or FWD will need to stay for cost (retail) alone.
    - V8 as an option, maybe the NEW limited or Touring model has the V8 option and AWD option. It would be nice if a base model had AWD, but it would make it an expensive option for a base model..
    The usual options from here, radio upgrade, leather or cloth, Nav or no Nav.
    Color schemes, tires / rim options,
    - maybe an up-graded transmission, maybe a 7 speed?
    - Add or put the coin pocket back to the left hand side.
    - Make the sunroof interior panel a bit heavier (it seems so cheap to me)
    - Make a plug-in for iPods and such, that has the same controls and shows the same information on screen as seen on the iPod, And make this plug-in / pocket somewhere out of the way. Maybe on the side of the center console.

I haven't had my Avalon Touring Sedan long enough to know what else I'd like to have or would change if I could. But these are a few things I'd like.

I sure would like to see a limited use of plastics in the car. I know it's to keep the weight and cost down, but it seems to make the car a bit over priced when they use plastic.

Skip
    A recent reply from Toyota

Mr. Lalemand,
    Thank you for contacting Toyota.

We appreciate your interest in the 2009 Avalon.

We apologize; Toyota has no plans at this time to offer the Avalon Touring model for the 2009 model year. While we can not say with any certainty, this decision may have been based on sales trends and market interests. We are however, constantly researching the market to identify popular vehicles. Your comments and interest have been documented at our National Headquarters for future model consideration.

We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to consider Toyota for your driving needs.

Renee Toussaint Toyota Customer Experience
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I think it is very interesting that a proposal for the 2010 Avalon would include V-8 power.

We, as a nation where $4.00/ gal. gas almost wrecks our economy, still propose to take an outstanding V-6 sedan package that will get an honest 30 MPG on the road, and add features to make it more expensive, more powerful, and surely less fuel efficient.

I, personally, do not need a lot more financial and environmental punishment.
    Everything points toward the Avalon going away.... Toyota has no need to put a V8 in a FWD sedan and if the Av goes RWD the price will be way too close to a Lexus GS to have both in the lineup. Heck the Avalon surely steals a few sales away from Lexus as it is. I personally would hate to see the Av go... however large cars and SUVs are still not selling as people will not forget the $4.00 gas. (even though the local station to me is $1.49 right now :).

Ok, I'm with you there, so what is it that you'd like to see the new Avalon look like, be like, have or not have?

So if they change it enough, and make it more money (still less then a Lexus), it will still sell, and THEN, maybe the New Larger Camry (the replacement for the Avalon) will sell enough, that they will drop the Avalon all together. Sounds silly, and if this was an American company, I would stick to my thoughts here, but for Toyota, it is a stretch.

Now I agree, but don't like it, they will likely drop the Avalon, ONLY because it has been around long enough, and they won't likely get the sells from it that they WILL from a newly re-designed and named Avalon ("What's your choice for the new name?)

I'm just stating my thoughts … what are yours?

Skip
    New "avalon" = Toyota "GS350".
    "Toyota GS-350". I have to ask the question a 2nd time. Why would I want to buy an Avalon replacement that cost $10K more and gets 10% less mileage?
    Could it be a version of this?

http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/crown.html

I am holding on to my XLS 2000 anxiously awaiting the 2009 replacement to see if I want to stay with the Avalon or go elsewhere. Have received excellent service from the 2000 and looking for about the same type car to replace in a 2010. I am also considering a Lexus but like the extra interior room in the Avalon. Of course, the 460 Lexus is available, but that is more than I want to spend. So the bottom line is, I am hoping and waiting for a new version Avalon with luxury, intenior room, dependability, and new style with quality body side molding.

Thanks,

George
    My answer is...

What is the price, ratio, for/between a stripped down Camry vs a bottom priced Lexus ES350..??

While I have doubts about a Toyota "GS350" ever getting fitted with a 4 cylinder it is clearly a possibility. A RWD (maybe even a R/AWD option) with an Atkinson/West cycle (***) DFI 4 cylinder engine mated with a 6 (9) speed automatic just might take the market by storm.

*** HIGHLY FE Atkinson cycle (low torque, relatively) mode ONLY when the lockup clutch is engaged. Or maybe even at WOT when the cylinders are getting a FULL charge and therefore the Atkinson cycle mode will produce a decent level of torque AND still be highly FE.
    If you're considering a Lexus then the GS350 might be a perfect fit. The GS350 is RWD so there is also a bit of an additional safety factor involved. But for best FE be sure and get the GS350 with the DFI V6 engine.
    Well a few hundred more miles and I have some other things I'd like to see on the next Avalon. Some maybe on the Limited but aren't on the Touring model. So if they are available on the LImited, then maybe I'll have to upgrade:)

Earlier post:

- Side Coin tray
    - Better roof liner (seems so cheap when sliding out of the way)

New:

- Side lights for when you are turning and have the blinker on.
    - Fan Speed control on steering wheel. If you are trying to make it convenient then it's one of the only controls not on the wheel.

Skip
    Hi folks. This might be hard to answer unless you've had both or tried both out well, but is there a difference in the ride between the Touring model (which is no longer made) and the Limited Avalon, and if so, what is the difference?

On a scale of 1-10 softer or harder?
    On a scale of 1-10 more comfortable or less or can't tell the difference?

Are the extras worth it?

- Navigation system?
    - Seats?
    - Radio?

Skip
  • avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    The Touring model is history, no longer being offered by Toyota. A more firm ride compared to the Limited, not unlike the Touring model of my last Buick Park Avenue. The GS350 provides a similar feel as the Toyota Avalon Touring. A bit more sporty.
    My 2005 Avalon with 60,000 miles continues to amaze me with its fine smooth, quiet ride. If you want to compare an Avalon Limited to a Lexus sedan, the ES350 is to small, the GS to firm. The LS460 comes closest to the Avy. Now I'm talking size and feel on the road. As to price, the Limited stacks up against the ES350. If you're into a sporty ride stay with the Lexus GS, however, it cost much more than a Limited. The LS is totally above my budget. For what I want in a solid near luxury level vehicle, the Avalon Limited is number one.
    The one thing I'd love to have is a quiet car.

I purchased a Touring Sedan a few weeks ago, and LOVE the car. I just wish at 7- 80 MPH, it was quieter. The wind noise around the windows is a bit more then I'd like. This is the case, with most cars I tried.

At slower speeds the all seems fine. I guess I'll just have to drive slower (closer to the speed limited) from now on.

I didn't get a change to try the Buick Enclave out, but I'm told it's the quietest vehicle going?

Skip
    in New England? What have folks found they like and why?

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak, any thoughts on these? I had Dunlop Grasspics on the Camry and they seemed good.

Skip
    Lubricate the door and window seals, lightly, very lightly, with a silicon base grease, NAPA Sil-Glyde is what I use.

For the most driving comfort and quietness I aways run on summer only tires, Bridgestone Turanzas, specifically. It doesn't hurt to pressure wash the interior of the wheel well, liner, and then spray a can of undercoat into each wheelwell for sound insulation/deadening.
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Hi

I just had Blizzak WS-60's fitted to my 2007 Avalon XLS, one MASSIVE difference.
    Love the tyres, got them at firestone for 113 each, they had no 215/55/17's so they put on 225/55/17's, gives a real good ride.

Very happy with them, I would suggest these for snow/ice.

Cheers

Sheldon
    I went with the Blizzak WS-60's as well, and I hate them!

- They ARE very smooth …
    - They ARE very quiet …
    - They RIDE real nice … but

They suck in light snow, deep snow, ice … in my opinion of course.

I drive in any kind of weather (salesman), and I need, want something I feel comfortable in. Something is it starts to snow and I've got 100 miles until I get home, I can drive safely, comfortably and without changing my driving style to much.

I'm fine slowing down and being carful, but with these tires, I DON'T get that feeling.

I have had to backdown and turn around twice so far on small hills, as I couldn't go forward anymore because of the spinning.

I think I purchased these looking at the wrong things, i.e., smooth, quiet, road noise …

I'm giving these tires one more snow storm, and if it's no better, I'm going to get something a bunch more aggressive - maybe even studded, and learn to live with the road noise, and ride in leu of safety and control.

Skip

PS I have been driving for 30 years, and most of them as an on the road salesman, and all of those years in Northern New England, and yes, ALL of those years accident feel, so to those who might be thinking, this guy just doesn't know - I think I do.
    Hmmmm....

30 years if driving in Northern New England and you don't yet know that there is NO tire, "bare" tire, that gives you a feeling of safety...??!!

There is NO tire, NONE, that will provide a reasonable, comfortable and safe level of traction on an icy, slippery, packed snow, or ICE covered roadbed, most especially in a patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle.

Yes, the extra weight over those front wheels due to the engine being in front will yield improved traction, DRIVE traction vs RWD, but now you, or the ABS/TC/VSC/EBD/BA ECU, must figure out how to apportion that traction between "drive" (leading or lagging {inadvertent compression braking} drive), and/or lateral, directional control. Much easier "computation" if "drive" is restricted to, or primarily to, the rear wheels, allocating most, or even ALL of the front tires' traction coefficient to the front, stearing, wheels/tires.

Drive a Honda or Acura with SH-AWD for an understanding and STRONG feeling of safety with a properly designed drive system even with a sideways mounted engine/transaxle.

Yes, learn to live with the NOISE and speed limitation, <25MPH, but of quickly and easily installing and removing tire chains. Don't contribute to the destruction of our roadbeds with studs, studs that MUST remain on, the clear majority of the time, even on a DRY roadbed.

Speaking as one who has been driving around for over a week now in a F/AWD '01 RX300 with tire chains on ALL 4 wheels. Almost 2 feet of snow here at home.

A White Christmas is not so nice if the family/guests cannot arrive.
    Hmmmm…

I would not agree. I had Dunlop Grasppics on my Camry, and they were MUCH better. I read several reports from owners of the Blizzaks and they seemed to speak very higher of the tire, and all conditions?

I have also had many other snow tires in the past, that I felt MUCH more comfortable with. Many that didn't cause me to change my driving habits as the weather changed.

Now I'm wondering, if I would have enjoyed the Audi A6 AWD better, at least during the winter time.

I'm glad I purchased the Avalon, and feel I made the right decision at the time, and in the long haul. I'm sure the Avalon will have a much better re-sell value and a much small COO (Cost of ownership) over the next few years.

Skip
    most especially in a patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle

I have noticed in several other forums you always refer to FWD as unsafe. I have owned both RWD and FWD and find both have advantages. However, I have never felt unsafe in any conditions with a FWD vehicle. Are these your conclusions or is there an article somewhere that I can read up on it?

I, too, would like to read any information available about "patently unsafe FWD" vehicles. There must be some things I am missing.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Wwest has some sort of affinity for RWD. He believes that ANYTHING (FWD, AWD, 4WD, treads) is inferior to RWD and, therefore, unsafe. I cannot understand how he can say this. I just returned over Snoqualmie and, as usual, there are RWD's that get stuck, spin out, hit the snow embankment, etc. If they are inherently superior to any other type of drive, why are they always the ones causing slowdowns and backups any time anything white appears in the skies of Seattle?

After driving RWD's for 30 years and FWD's for the last 17 years, FWD is vastly superior to RWD in terms of both safety and handling.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    If FWD was "inherently unsafe' there wouldn't be any "Big 3" or "Big 2 1/2" to discuss saving or bailing out today. The lawyers would have sued them into oblivion a long time ago.l
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Interesting

I've never had snow tyres before so cannot speak as to where these sit on the "snow tyre league".
    We have had some rather large snow storms down here in Utah and all I know is going through snow before the plows have had a chance as well as going on slick roads after the fact, these Blizzaks have offered a good amount of grip.
    I was sliding down hills the week before on my stock Michellin AS tyres but now have no problem climbing the same hill as long as my foot is under control on the gas.
    I purchased the WS-60's after reading a lot of reviews in comparison to other snow tyres and after not wanting studded tyres.
    They have received some impressive reviews and so far have offered me very good grip on icey roads, wet roads and snow covered roads.

I would not count myself as any form of authority on this though as I said these are my first set of snow tyres and chose to go for what was getting the best reviews.

You may be in an area with driving conditions that are far more sever to what I have to face here daily though.

Let us know what tyres you end up sticking witgh that you find work best for you.

Thanks

Sheldon