Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    06MY & 07MY 4Runner with factory navigation includes a 4-disc CD changer that can play MP3 or WMA encoded CDRs. Plus you can initiate a call via an approved Bluetooth cell phone from the steering wheel! Even if you cell phone is in your purse or gym bag you can receive or dial a call with both hands on the steering wheel!
  • m3fanaticm3fanatic Member Posts: 1
    gotta love the NAV :)
  • ccarofknowldgeccarofknowldge Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone tell me the "Downshift Lockout Speeds" (speed above which the transmission will not downshift into the particular gear) for 1st and 2nd gear in the 2006 4Runner?

This is not the same as the maximum speed in gear. It is always lower, but different Transmissions set different limits. Does anyone know the values for the 2006 4Runner?

TIA.
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    2006 Limited 4WD V8

I'm wondering why the owners manual recommends keeping the spare tire only on the right side of the vehicle with each rotation? I'm used to the "full" 5 tire rotation with all previous vehicles.

Thanks!
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I wouldn't use the spare at all in a tire rotation. I'd only swap out the fronts with the backs, keeping them on the same side. You're going to need four new tires at some point anyway.
  • miata190miata190 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 V8 limited 4runner. My first problem was getting front rotors. When my parts place asked what wheels I had I told him I have 17" wheels. He proceeded to give me rotors that were 13.25" diameter. The ones I have are 12.6". Supposedly these are for a 4runner with 16" wheels. We finally figured that out, but has anybody had the same problem? Second, my truck has only 46,000 miles on it but has seemed to have ruined the drivers side front wheel bearing. Seems a little premature. The factory warranty is finished, is there any chance in hell to get them to warranty this. To be honest, its a shame for a 41,000 dollar truck to have this problem. I do tow a boat, but I have only done it 3 times. It has a combined weight of about 4700 pounds. Thanks
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Looking at an 06 ($2500.00) under invoice - Limited loaded. I have heard the V6 is a dog..............true?

I'd rather the V6 with the price of gas, but need some advice/help?

No - I will never tow with this ride.
    Comments on the V6 vs. the V8 - I do a lot of highway driving!!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I have heard the V8 and V6 get similar mileage.

I have the V8. In strictly city driving, suburban hills, NYC traffic, averaging about 30 MPH I get about 17MPG on regular gas. On a recent long highway trip I got 20.8 MPG averaging about 58 MPH. Both numbers are according to the trip computer which is about 5% optimistic. The V8 also has great passing power.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have the V6. It's no dog.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I have the V6 and it has plenty of power. I continue to be impressed with the acceleration. On my last fill up I got 22.5 mpg (actual, not computer) in mixed driving. I end up getting less mpg with 100% highway because I set the cruise at 80 so mileage isn't as great at those speeds. Usually around 20 - 21 mpg on the highway at that speed.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    Well I understand in 2008 the 4Runner is getting a redesign so it will be interesting to see if they will put a hybrid in the 4Runner, which I heard was a rumor (I also would like to see it a little bigger but I guess that remains to be seen). I have a 2004 v8 which gets about 18.1 mpg but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a 4Runner with a hybrid :)
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    Do you have 4WD or 2WD? I recently bought a new 2006 4 WD and wanted 16" wheels. The standard 4Runner 16" wheels won't fit due to interference with the calipers so I finally got some wheels that come on a Tacoma. This may give you a clue to the problem.
  • maxxladymaxxlady Member Posts: 21
    I've finally decided on the 4runner sr5. I want the option package with the airbags, but it comes standard with the spoiler. I really think they are ugly and take away from the lines of the model. Does anyone know if they can remove these without damaging the car?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I've never seen a 4Runner here in California or anywhere else without a spoiler. I've never seen a Sport or Limited model without a sunroof. You'll get used to it. The thing I've found annoying is the running boards, so I removed them. Enjoy your 4Runner, and don't let the spoiler detract from your buying one.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    Actually mine came without it, although mine was an SR5 so maybe that explains it. Then now that i want one, its $400 to put one on, so i decided to leave it as it is. Maybe when they bring out the new redesigned '08 Sequoia, i'll be sure to get one with a spoiler...:)
  • chazmofochazmofo Member Posts: 1
    I feel like a dweeb asking this, but my 98 4Runner's dash lights suddenly don't work and I can't figure it out. I can't find a fuse for the lights, and I have not determined that the dimmer switch is bad. The other lights (ie, high beam, turn signal, etc.) still work, but no back lighting on the dash. Consequently, driving at night is a bummer as I can't see the speedo and such. Does anyone know what to do? :confuse:
    Thanks,
    Charlie
  • coloroncoloron Member Posts: 14
    I agree about the look of the spoiler. I've never liked it either. Luckily, the 2006 standard option packages sold here in Colorado do not have a spoiler on the SR5 models. I was able to get my new Salsa Red SR5 with a nice option package (sunroof, CD changer, side airbags, etc.) without a spoiler. I've been very happy with it.

You could always buy yours in Colorado!
  • maxxladymaxxlady Member Posts: 21
    Interesting that you say that since I'm planning on moving to Colorado within the next year. Was hoping to buy the car sooner, though.
  • kali_king209kali_king209 Member Posts: 1
    does any body know how to remove the headlights on a 2004 4runner? I tried doing so myself but it appears that there is screw on the bottom that i can get too. I'm not sure if I'd have to remove the bumber as well. thanks
  • seraanseraan Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2004 SR5 with 13k on it. It will go out of warranty at the end of this year. I would like to buy a platinum extended warranty. Anybody can tell me where can I get a good price on it? Thanks!
  • natos56natos56 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 SR5 without a spoiler in CA no problem. I just told the salesperson what I wanted and that included no spoiler. I think they look strange with a spoiler.
  • gasburner1gasburner1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm considering a 4 Runner, to replace my Explorer. I'd like a vehicle with a 3rd row seat for occasional carpool duty, question is, for any 4 Runner owners with 3rd row seats, is it a viable option for teenage kids? How well do the flip up and over seats actually work?

Thanks!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    They are OK and best for smaller people who can climb.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    No, it is not a viable option for teenagers. It's way too small for that.
  • ren123ren123 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have any idea when a redesigned 4Runner might come out? I am looking to buy a 4Runner next summer, but will wait for the '08 model if it will be redesigned as I have heard. But also heard it won't be redone until '10 model year. Any engine changes coming up? Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    The current model came out in 2003, with a few minor tweaks in 2006. I'd be very surprised if it would be redesigned in 2008. Toyota's design cycle for trucks is typically quite a bit longer than the design cycle for their cars.
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know of a door rub bar (black unpainted) that can be added to a new 4Runner with double sided tape to prevent door paint dings? Something like that on the Tundra would do if it doesn't require holes to be drilled.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Toyota 4Runner
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • bv4runnerbv4runner Member Posts: 6
    Is the 2003 Toyota 4Runner air bag safety system equipped with an Electronic Data Recorder "EDR" which records the vehicles behavior 10 seconds before and 1 second after a crash which deploys the air bag?

Thanks, Bill
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Hi; I;ve got a 2005 SR5V8 & have the "stock" steering wheel. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an aftermarket leather wrapped steering wheel that looks like the Toyota version.
  • junglejimjunglejim Member Posts: 18
    The next generation 4Runner will be a 2010 model (it will be available in Fall of 2009). The 3rd gen 4Runner lasted 7 years. Since this one came out in 2003, 7 years will make it 2010. The dealers are being told the next 4Runner will be available sometime in 2009.

The Highlander and Sequoia will be redesigned first (The Highlander came out in 2001 and has yet to be redesigned.)

Buy the 4Runner now. It's a great truck. Rumors are that the next 4Runner might be assembled at the new Texas plant.
  • timetobuy1timetobuy1 Member Posts: 23
    Is there an advantage to buying a new 2007 limited 4runner over a new 2006 limited 4runner with similar options? The price is lower on the 2006 and it has a better interest rate (1.9 vs. 4.9.) Of course with the 2007 I could pick the exact color, etc. that I would like, but it seems like it would cost so much more for an 07. Thanks!
  • jusamaphonicjusamaphonic Member Posts: 10
    This morning I used my 91 4Runner (295K miles on it) to pull out a Hummer H2 that was stuck in a snowbank. I can elaborate if anyone is interested. :blush:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Oh yes, elaborate at least a little, please! I used to regularly tow people out of trouble with my Runner, even at 200K miles and well after. They were mostly folks who got out of their depth in Explorers, although a couple of Land Rover incidents come to mind too. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• gpm100gpm100 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any propblems with the radio making a popping/crackling noise, dealer has relace radio three times and cant figure out what is making the radio stop working.
  • dreamer4dreamer4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 4Runner and just purchased the Westin Sportsman Brush Guard. I have the instructions but am more visual and do not understand the instructions.

Does anyone have any photo's of the Westin or other brusk guards installed. I am interested in phot's under the call to see how it is installed???

If you cannot post here, please e-mail me:

LSchindler@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    What mod's have y ou all done to your 4Runners???
  • 4runnerbabe4runnerbabe Member Posts: 6
    Do any of you know if there is a possibility that an ignition key on a 4runner will not work with manually opening any of its doors?
    My husband and I are stumped right now with our insurance company. They're giving us a hard time with the key of our 4Runner which was stolen a few months back. We were interrogared by a lawyer yesterday and this key issue was the one of the major questions that was drilled on us.
    I was the first one in the room (my husband waited outside) and I was asked if at anytime when we used our truck if I tried to manually lock or unlock the truck with our key. I told them that I tried only once, when the battery on the alarm went dead and couldn't set the alarm on the truck. I tried to manually lock the vehicle but it wouldn't lock, it was only turning halfway and the lock "button" on the door panel wouldn't go down. Since then I never tried to manually lock/unlock with the key. I assumed that it wouldn't work since it had an alarm.
    The issue was that the lawyer said an insurance adjustor looked at our vehicle to assess the damage (it was recovered but it was burned) and said that the key didn't work when he was trying to open the back (5th) door. Our insurance adjustor said we sent them the wrong key. One of my friends said why don't they call a toyota dealer, give them my vehicle's vin# and have a duplicate made and compare the 2 together. I didn't say this to the lawyer already, he might give me a harder time with questions thinking that I know too much.
    Does any of you know if this is possible? We didn't know what to answer because we don't know if this was possible or not. Does the doors need a separate key to manually open/close it? Or was there a malfunction on the way the alarm was set to prevent manual open/close on the doors?
    If by chance any of you can try on your 4runners to see if your key that you use to start the ignition will work or will not work in manually locking/unlocking the door? I appreciate your comments so that we can get a peace of mind here.
    Thanks much!
    Wow, I assume when you got into the car, the key did fit into and start the ignition. Using the remote to open and close your doors means the remote was set to your code.

I am no expert, but it sounds like at some time your door locka were changed. This happened to me once when the door lock was broken. The locksmith installed new locks in the door but gave me a new key for it also. But when they did this, they also rekeyed the ignition so one keyed worked everything except the glove box.

It sounds strange that your keys would not manually open and lock the doors.
  • 4runnerbabe4runnerbabe Member Posts: 6
    We purchased the truck used at a toyota dealer. We don't know if there were modifications done on the truck by the previous owner or the history of the vehicle.
    We basically just used the key to start the ignition. We always used the alarm to open/lock the doors.
  • erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    i have heard countless time that the new 4runners should use premium fuel only. YET. the owners manual says 87 octane. i even called toyota myself and asked and they told me 2 times...87 octane is fine..not 91.

im confused...any correct answers. thanks in advance
    Good luck but no one posts answers on this site it seems, only questions.

I guess whomever is running this site is note interested anymore.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The members run this site. That means you. :shades: Please feel free to contribute some answers.

Don't forget the rest of the Toyota 4Runner group either.
  • greengreen Member Posts: 15
    Yes, the keys work in the doors. I use the key far more often than the remote for locking/unlocking the doors.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Yes, in the 4th generation 4Runner either V6 or V8 you can use 87 octane "regular gas". It's in your owners manual. I've never had a problem nor could I detect a ping. I've used 93 octane and could not feel any difference in power or mileage. Hope this answers your question. :)
    I used 87 octane and have no problems. The 4runner runs fine.
    Just curious, what generation is the 2000 model???
    The 2000 model is 3rd generation. The 4th generation started with the 2003 model year.
  • nonunionnonunion Member Posts: 11
    My '99 4Runner did that when stopping on ice. I think it's the ABS brakes which I would gladly do without , if I could.