Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    Why are you calling me names? I am just trying to pass along information I have from a very good and trusted source. If you choose to believe that the 4 Runner won't be re-designed until 2004, then fine. I have shared the correct information.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    The response from buzzlight was kind of a non answer, was it not? Hmmm.....
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm not calling names. You continue to raise suspicion because you have not established any credibility for your claims. Simply repeating a statement does not make it so. I realize that here on the Internet, anybody can claim anything they want, but over time, one can generally figure out if a person is on the level. You have not identified yourself as connected with Toyota, either at the corporate or dealer level.

Keep in mind, that I am not ruling out what you have said. If you have some inside information that is not currently available at the dealer level, I'm happy to hear it. If you were to provide some specifics, it will build your credibility. If I get one allocated in two weeks, you'll have a ton of credibility. Until then, I have some suspicions about you.
  • dbh990dbh990 Member Posts: 2
    I will be picking up my new 4 Runner on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I have a 2000 Camry XLE and a 1992 Camry LE. I bought both new and now a 4WD 'cause we are moving to New Hampshire. Hope I enjoy the 4 Runner as much as the rest of my Toyota's over the years. Oh, getting SR5 with Sport Package, 4WD, Auto, Moon Roof, Rack, hitch, running boards. I guess all but Leather which I did not want. Got it for Invoice + $100.00 at Kissimmee Toyota in Kissimmee, FL. $32k TTT OTD....... Good/bad ?????
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Well, I've named my resource, and he had a video, and it was seen by over 400 people at the presentation. Before the Camry came out there were tons of 'leaks' on the internet. I've not seen one single picture of the redesigned 4Runner anywhere but in this video. I say it isn't going to happen this year. Whatever your source is Buzz, at least name the information of the source, like dealership or corporate. I mean, if an EVP of Toyota Sales says 2003, who could say anything different. I'll believe it's coming in the next six months when I see some more information, any information.

As far as having previous year models to sell, when did that ever stop a car manufacturer from releasing information about an updated model?
    I think you are making up the whole thing!!! If not, what was the name of the EVP giving the presentation?
  • austin18austin18 Member Posts: 11
    I have also heard that the new truck will be out this year. This comes from a friend of mine who works at Southeastern Toyota (distributors). His sources tell him anywhere from March to June, but he thinks June is more likely.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    And if comes out in June, July or Aug...so be it. Unless, you really need one because your lease is coming up. Buzz, I hope it does come out in March, I would like to see what it looks like.

I know I should probably ask this in another forum, but what type of wax seems to be working best for you? I just bought a 02 Thunder Cloud so I guess I should get the 1st wax done as soon as possible. I used Meguires on my previous vehicle, but I felt the wax seemed to wear off quickly, and I used a car wash soap during washings. Maybe I wasn't putting enough of the Mequires on or possiblely using it during the wrong conditions. I'm not trying to knock the Mequires..I just may use it again.

thanks...
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    Ejsesl,
    I bought my 4 Runner at Herb Chambers, the experience was fairly pleasant. However, when I asked the salesman and the service personnel some questions about a steering wheel shimmy when hitting bumps they told me it was normal, they could not provide any information as to why. I made a trip to 495 Toyota, the salesman I spoke with was extremely knowledgeable and provided me with the answers to my questions (see previous postings). There was another thing I liked about this dealership, while walking around the lot I was left alone, there is nothing worse than pulling into a dealership and having a salesperson stalking you. The downside to 495 is their lack of inventory, it's a small dealership. There's a dealership on route 9 in Northborough (I think it's Northborough), I don't have any experience with them but they have a very large selection. I hope this information is of some value to you.
    "As far as having previous year models to sell, when did that ever stop a car manufacturer from releasing information about an updated model? "

This is actually a typical Toyota thing. When we have a new product coming out, and it will detract from current sales, they get VERY stingy with information. The 2002 Camry is a good example of this. It wasn't until 3 to 4 weeks before its release that we had anything official from Toyota about the new one. OTOH, there was plenty of information on the Tundra prior to its release because we had been bled dry of the T100 months in advance.

Buzz could be right. I'm not ruling it out. I don't consider a March release likely based on what the owner here has heard from Toyota and based on the lack of hints from my district manager, but it is possible.
    And my source could be wrong (but I hope not). He has a good record and confirmed today that the next generation 4-Runner should be out in March.
  • jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    I am looking at buying an early 90's 4Runner. Wonder if someone can enlighten me on the differences between a regular 4Runner, one that is called an SR5 and one that is called a Limited.
    In the early 90's there was no such thing as a Limited. That model came out in late '94 or '95. All it had was leather. I'm trying to remember if there even was such a thing as a "base" model. If there was, it was the 4 cylinder. The name SR5 used to mean more than it does now. Originally, it referred to a Corolla sport model with a 5 speed transmission. Now, it just means it isn't a Limited.
    >I think you are making up the whole thing!!! If not, what was the name of the EVP giving the presentation?

Jim Press, Erlanger KY, Toyota Motor Mfg N.A. January 11, 2002. This was a presentation to the Toyota North American employees. I happen to be one.

Now name your source.
    >. The 2002 Camry is a good example of this. It wasn't until 3 to 4 weeks before its release that we had anything official from Toyota about the new one

.. and there wasn't any information on the web? No spy shots? Not one single word? I'm not talking about 'official' word from Toyota. I agree with you on that. You won't here anything from them, but I don't think you could keep it secret for that long from all the various sources out there.

You are (or were) in sales, so you know more about how that will affect sales. I never thought that it would be a problem. I like to see the new and old models together. Once I bought a new model and once I bought the previous year model. I've seen and heard about new models while the older model year was still for sale. Even after the new ones are on the lot, don't they keep the price high on them and continue to sell the previous year at a discount?

There's plenty of speculation about the redesigned Sienna, and unofficial word of when that will be out, sightings in L.A., and various confirmations that it will be in January 2003, etc. Yet the 4Runner is due in less than 2 months and there isn't anything at all? Sorry, I just don't swallow it. Fall of this year would be much more credible, but again, the video that I attended said fall of 2003.

I want the new model, just for the V-8 and 3rd seat if for no other reason. I would like to see it this year because I don't want to put any more money in my old one. I just don't think it's going to happen this year.

BTW, there did used to be a 'regular' 4Runner. They quit making it a few years ago. I don't think that you could actually get one unless it was a special order. It came with the 4-cylinder and wasn't very popular. I saw pricing on it here on Edmund's site, but I've never seen one on the lot or the road.
    " >. The 2002 Camry is a good example of this. It wasn't until 3 to 4 weeks before its release that we had anything official from Toyota about the new one

.. and there wasn't any information on the web? No spy shots? Not one single word? I'm not talking about 'official' word from Toyota. I agree with you on that. You won't here anything from them, but I don't think you could keep it secret for that long from all the various sources out there."

This year is the same pattern as the previous 4-Runner release back in 1996. There was no information and the dealers were all saying that it would be another year or two with that model.. And then, the current generation just appeared on the dealer lots one day.
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    Hey guys, I looked through this whole 4 Runner forum and haven't read anything about who make the sound system for Toyota. Must not be a big name because Toyota would be mentioning it. I did read that I will be wanting to replace the speakers, which is cool because I was planning on doing that any way, but who make the sound system?
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I've seen many 4-cylinder 4Runners on the road (around the Pomona-West Covina, CA area). Usually they can be distinguished by a gray painted bumper or no trim badging. With the number that I've seen, I don't think that they were special order around here. They all seem to be 96-98 4Runners, because they don't have the 5 mph crash bumper in the front. Were there 4-cylinders in 99 and 00 (I know not in 01)? If so, those probably had to be special ordered.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    The 2.7 liter 4 cylinder was cut in the 2001 year, at least in the states. I began looking for a SUV in 2000 and I had a chance to drive the 2.7 liter. It was smooth for such a large 4 cylinder and did OK around town. It wouldn't be so hot in passing situations. It has a reputation for being very reliable. When dealers advertise a low price on a 4Runner in the paper, it would turn out to be the 4 cylinder.
  • dbeck2dbeck2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the terms of customer cash
    incentives are negotiable? Specifically, has
    anyone gotten the $1,000. rebate with a 72 month
    loan? It's supposed to be 60 month max, but I
    wondered if this is set in stone and out of
    the dealer's control.
    OK, I just got back from the video of the Jan 11 presentation by Jim Press, EVP of Toyota Motor Sales. I listened closely for his exact words. When asked about the release of the new 4Runner his exact words were "next fall". At the original "live" presentation most of us interested in the new model took that to mean fall of next year ('03), but listening to it again it sounds like fall of '02' which is the 2003 and not the 2004 model year. Unfortunately, no one pressed him for a clarification.

He also said that you would need to buy 8 spark plugs instead of six (his words), the interior styling would be more like a 'sports car' (his words), and that there would be a new 4 wheel drive system with "downhill braking" (his words). He also stated that it would be wider than previous models. No mention of a 3rd seat. Several people said that the new version was a copy of the Mistsubi Montero, if that gives you any idea of what it looked like.

So now I'm more excited. It appears that there is an excellent chance (especially with Cliffy's confirmation) that it will be fall of this year for the new model of 4Runner.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Buzzlight, you still haven't disclosed your source of information for a March release.
    ----------------------------------------------
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Awesome !!!

Exactly what I was hoping for: 8 cylinders, sportier interior design, and I love the way the Montero looks so I am sure I will have no complaints for the exterior.

Downhill braking system will be a great feature, it's on the Range Rover line of vehicles (even the new FreeLander) and I am glad to hear Toyota is bringing its system to the 4Runner!!

Let's add all this up: Downhill braking system, traction control & vehicle skid control, and brake assist. Seems to me this will be THE MOST techno advanced vehicle this side of 60k !!

Hope all this turns out to be the case....this is the most credible evidence I have heard!!

Thanks for the information!!
    IF you make the assumption that the new 4Runner will be based on the new Lexus GX 470, you can then compare the Montero with the GX 470. AND you know, they do look similar, the small windows, large tail. The front is different. THEN I noticed that the specs, such as wheelbase and length are almost exact on the GX 470 and Montero. SO you may be right about the new 4Runner looking like the Montero. THANKS for the info. I just hope the new 4Runner doesn't flip over like ...
  • texasappraisertexasappraiser Member Posts: 16
    What were the horsepower ratings on the 4 cyl. engines used from say 1990-1999? Any one know? Thanks.
    The only spy photos of the 2002 Camry was on a Japanese language site. Toyota did I good job of keeping it under wraps.

The '96 Runner was pretty secretive as well, but they didn't just appear on our lots one day. In fact, we had driven them a few weeks prior to their release in a "ride and drive". We knew the exact day off arrival about 3 weeks out.
    In 1990 the second generation came out with a 2.4 liter, 116 HP and 140 ft/lbs torque. In 1996 the third generation came out with a 2.7 liter, 150 HP, 177 ft/lbs torque. Both models can tow 3,500 pounds. Toyota still makes the 2.7 liter for other countries.
    And if you read the last few posts, no one really knows when the fourth generation 4Runner is coming out. :)
    The rebate isn't tied to a finance term. There is a 4.9% APR for 60 months, but if you take that, you don't get the rebate. The rebate applies to any term (including paying cash) as long as you don't take the special finance rates.
    I just talked to my local Toyota Dealer (Toyota of Roswell in Roswell, GA ) and a sales rep told me that the new 4 Runners will be out in 4 weeks. Now, I don't believe that....End of march is conceivable, but the middle of February is ridiculous.
    Thanks for the 4 cyl. info.
    Sorry, to ask more 4 banger questions, but I really am researching! Will be purchasing a 96 or newer 4runner, probably 2WD auto, and want to know the difference in gas mileage for the 2 available engines. Thanks.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I just saw another Toyota commercial offering incentives on the Corolla, Tundra, and 4Runner. This reminded me that the Corolla was just redesigned and the Tundra (I heard) was supposed to received a "Double Cab" type treatment. This makes me think that Toyota is offering incentives on the Corolla, Tundra, and 4Runner because they are being replaced very soon or, in the case of the Corolla, practically already has been replaced. What does everyone think? Does this mean the new 4Runner will almost definitely be out sometime this year if not very soon?
    I got the word from our external affairs department. The redesigned 4Runner is definitely coming out this fall (2002) and not next year.

Buzz and Cliffy, perhaps that dealer that Buzz is talking about is saying he'll have one of the early versions as a 'look see' and not for sale???

I know this isn't the Tundra forum, but it will have the full 4-door model this fall as well. I don't know if they will keep the small door version they now have. I was told it would be longer and have a bigger V-8 and aimed directly at the F-150 market.
    It is unlikely that we will get advance models to show off. Even with the Sequoia which did not compete with existing models, we didn't get one. I'm still in the wait and see mode. That is now easy for me since I left the sales floor for the finance office.

As a Tundra owner (actually lessor), I am very interested in the new Tundra. The last I heard, there was still some debate as to when the D-Cab will come out and when the new engine will be here. I'm happy to hear it looks like this fall, rather than next. My lease is up in November and I was hoping to catch the new ones. I'm still crossing my fingers for the Active-Trac 4WD.
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    TXAppraiser, I don't know what the 4 cyl 4Runners get as far as mileage, but my 01 SR5 gets about 23(flat) 21(hills) on the highway and 17 in the city. The biggest benefit is the 4Runner takes regular fuel. Many of the new SUV's don't.
    I was just looking over the build schedule for the 2002 Runners and found something interesting. For the January order (February delivery), there are 872 4Runners coming to the Central Atlantic Region. This region has 135 dealers. For perspective, there are only 814 Highlanders being built for the same time frame.

I would be absolutely shocked if they sent this quantity one month before releasing the 2003. A normal pattern would be for Toyota to bleed down the existing inventory to the point that very few dealers have an "old" model vehicle when a redesign is imminent. The only exception is if the price of the new ones will be substantially higher than the old one.

Just food for thought. I'm still betting on October for the 2003.
    THANKS!
  • mikekabrisky1mikekabrisky1 Member Posts: 28
    Where i live, i saw an ad about getting $6000 off MSRP for a 4runner(don't know which model)? I am wondering if this is on a certain model that is fully loaded, thus the price is already high.
    Also, is it possible to ask the dealer to order a 4runner that only has the options that im looking for? I only want 3 options and a particular 4runner model(SR5 2 wheel drive). The reason is that the models in the dealers lot had more options than i needed. Lastly, it seems the TMV for this SUV has narrowed with the invoice. I wonder how the demand for this car is?Thanks guys.
    Sounds stupid, but how can one tell the difference from the 2001(both SR5 and Limited) from 2002(both SR5 and Limited)? A dealer in town has the 2001 and 2002 4Runners mixed in together. I wouldn't want to find out that i bought a 2001 when i intended to get a 2002.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mike,

If all else fails, the sticker should clearly state the model year.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Some of the 4Runners don't have stickers on them. Maybe it was taken off or something. I'll just ask.
  • wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    The starter of my 97 4runner fails. Is this a common problem on 97 4runner? Dealer said I need $400 to replace it. I am shocked because mine only has 30K miles on it.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd be very surprised to see the '03 4Runner in showrooms before next fall.

They may, however, introduce it at either the upcoming Chicago or NY auto shows.

Bob
  • jkbeantownjkbeantown Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2002 Limited. One quick way to tell the difference between a 2002 Limited and a 2001 Limited is that the license plate frame on the rear door of a 2002 Limited is chrome. I believe all 2001 Limited rear license plate frames had a black frame. As for SR5. you can quickly tell the difference between a 2002 SR5 with Sport Package, as the 2002's have a front aluminum skid plate located under the front bumper. The 2001s did not have this skid plate. Also the 2002 SR5s with Sport Package also have a decal on the lower right corner of the front doors stating "Sport.."/ Again, the 2001s did not have this. As for SR5s without the sport package, except for 2002 SR5s with the chrome package option (not available for 2001), there is little difference between the model years.
    I just spent 10 minutes with my regional Toyota manager and asked a few questions about the 2003. I didn't learn a whole lot, but did learn that it definitely is not coming until this fall and that it will *probably* have both a V6 and V8 option. He also confirmed that the Runner will be a Toyota badged version of the GX470 that you all have seen at Toyota's web site. He got this directly from Denny Clements who is quoted on Toyotas site talking about the GX.
    I have heard from external affairs, Toyota Motor Sales, and a friend who knows executives at the Toyota holding company. Everyone assures me that your information is correct: Fall of 2003 it will be.
    Cliffy, you mentioned that your Region just ordered a full allocation of Highlanders and 4Runners. What I find interesting is that they ordered more 4Runners vs. Highlanders, (872 vs. 814). Yet, overall in the States the Highlander sells more than the 4Runner. I know in October the national total was in 4Runners favor, but I think that was the only month. I thought maybe you can't get enough Highlanders or people in your area like 4Runners better. What is your thought? (Oh, by the way, thanks for the info on the new 4Runner.)

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsu.asp

• rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    chart, I can't believe that the 4 Runner out sold the Rav-4!
    "rljslick", Yes the 4Runner has almost always been the best selling Toyota SUV, before the Highlander. If you look at the Rav-4 totals for the last 2 years the Rav-4 is quite a bit behind the 4Runners. Usually the 4Runners is only 3 or 4 hundred behind the Highlander, but this last month was the biggest difference I can remember. In October the 4Runner sold a few thousand more than Highlander, thanks to the great deals.
    By the way, has your 4Runner come in yet?
  • austin18austin18 Member Posts: 11
    Don't you mean that the new 4 Runner will be here in fall of 2003?
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    You mean the new 4Runner should arrive THIS FALL. Fall of 2002.