Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Seats 2008+

musicejrmusicejr Member Posts: 11
I've got a V6 Coupe EX-L and the drivers seat is very uncomfortable for me. My back hurts immensely after 30mins of driving.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Same here. But I got used to it quickly after a few hundred miles. Those should be best seats. Honda are built to last
  • musicejrmusicejr Member Posts: 11
    I've been 3,000 miles in my car already and it's not gotten any better.

I'm going too more than likely have an upholster look at it and see if we can't make it fit for me.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've seen a complaint or two about the lumbar bulge being too big on another forum. Those with issues visited an upholstery shop and had the cushion trimmed, or a new, slimmer one implemented if I recall correctly.

Sorry you didn't realize this during a test drive! :cry: Good luck and keep us posted.

TheGrad
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    There have been lots of mentions about this over the last 6 months on these forums. To my knowledge, no one has found a "solution" because it is a basic design issue. However, when test driving Accords, I felt like there was some variation in the degree to which the lump in the lumbar area stuck out. Although my EX-L seats certainly have that lump, I find the seats to be very comfortable.

Also, there have been a number of complaints about how far forward the head restraint sits. Some people feel that it forces the driver's into a unnatural forward position.
    I'm assuming you've got the lumbar support adjusted all the way back to the minimum position... they do have the adjustable lumbar that the previous gen had, right?
    Yup -- it is in its minimum position. On a very long trip I took about 1 month ago, I finally used the lumbar adjustment for the first time (I was driving for almost 7 hours, one way). Other than that, I have always left it in its minimum position since there is still adequate lumbar support without engaging the lumbar adjuster.

Mine just adjusts either in or out -- there is no up and down adjustment. Is this the way it is on your car Grad -- or do you have in and out and up and down?
    Mine just adjusts either in or out -- there is no up and down adjustment. Is this the way it is on your car Grad -- or do you have in and out and up and down?

Yep, probably identical to yours. Just a lever than can be rotated forward up to 90 degrees.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I don't have an answer for the non EXL models. However, I own an EXL as you do, which has power seats with extensive control. After having experienced the discomfort as you mention, I played around with the adjustments and finally I got a spot that works great for me, that also helped the head restraint fall in place for me as well. You may have already tried this but if not, try the buttons, hopefully you will find a spot that fits your posture.
  • minder11minder11 Member Posts: 10
    I am about 500 miles into 2008 EXL and my back is in pain after just a 20 min ride each way to work. The lumbar is all the way retracted and I still feel like the design of the seat curvature is intruding on my lower back. I am very concerned since there is no solution other than to hope my back gets used to it after a while.

I am very surprised that honda would design a seat that appeals to a smaller portion of the public that needs lower lumbar support. I am also disappointed since the whole purpose of having electronic lumbar control is so that you can have it or not have it---Honda forces it on you even when it is fully disengaged. In pain and concerned....
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    I don't get it. Since 2003, Honda has built the BEST passenger seats in the class for the Accord. My 2008 EXLV6 is no exception. Firm and supportive. They are meant to be that way. Is it possible that some new Accord owners used to own a "big 3" vehicle notorious for Laz-e-boy type seating?
    I have no doubt that the lumbar bulge or curverature of the seat in the 2008 EXL is pronounced. I thought at first it was my issue and not the car's until I read a number of reviews that described the lumbar bulge (even with lumbar fully retracted) as "stout" and "protruding". Some people like this, I however find it unnatural. Everything else about the car is outstanding. I had people sit in the car and they say the same thing....

Is it possible that the leather or seat needs to be broken in to give a little more??
    Unfortunately, I don't think the lumbar "bump" will get better over time. I have put lots of butt time in my 08 EX-L and 10,000+ miles, and the bump is still there. I am lucky because it seems to fit my 6' frame well. I find the seat very comfortable. BUT, the bump is so pronounced even with the lumbar adjustment set to its softest position, that, if it didn't fit me, it would be miserable!
  • rendarrendar Member Posts: 4
    I test drove an LX-P model a couple weeks ago, and decided on the EX because it had adjustable lumbar support. When I test drove the EX with the lumbar support all the way back, it felt 100 x better than the LX-P. However, I didn't notice the other bump, which feels like it is only cushioning, in my test drive. I just got the EX over the weekend and after driving around for a little while find it very uncomfortable, and my wife says the passenger seat is the same. Has anybody had theirs looked at by a custom upholstery shop, or the dealer? If so, how much should I expect to spend on getting this fixed? This seems like a major design flaw to me... :(
    Yeah , I have the same problem. I took mine back to the dealer jut to get their thoughts on it and they looked at me like I was crazy. I have sat 10 + people in the car and they all say the same thing---too much lumbar.. I think what is making it so pronounced is the lumbar plate that is connected to the headrest (sit in the seat and pull the headrest to your head like you are doing a sit up). When you pull the head rest, the plate pulls back and the "bump" is gone. The plate is a new safety feature that on rear impact your body will sink into the plate and pull the headrest forward thus minimizing whiplash. Of course at the expense of an achy back.

The point that I still do not understand is why make electronic lumbar control if you are going to make lumbar already pronounced (by curverature of seatback and lumbar plate) even with the lumbar control all the way "off"?
    Wow, I just tested it, and indeed the bump disappears when you pull the headrest forward. I guess that disproves my notion that it was only padding, and is going to make it a harder fix.
  • RicksterRickster Member Posts: 40
    Hi,

I have a 2006 EXL and am experience chronic pain in my right butt, hamstring and outer knee. The pain is the worst when I drive and my PT thinks I should consider a car with a more upright seating position.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    I have a 2006 EX (cloth) Accord and don't have a problem, since the seat is pretty adjustable (your 8-way power seat should be able to jack up higher).

Are you sure you didn't hurt yourself with the Personal Trainer? :)
    LOL!
    If only it were so simple.

Adjusting the seat upwards does help, but not enough. I recently drove an SUV and the more upright position seemed to feel a little better.
    Still might be worth visiting the doctor about before changing vehicles. A doctor visit doesn't cost nearly as much (unless you have an HMO! :)).

Keep us updated.
    I completely agree - my next trip is to get a massage.
    I don't have any pain, but that sounds good nonetheless. :)
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I have my own leg/back problems, and had to readjust the seat in my 04 EXL a few times before I found something that works for me. I just completed an 1400 round trip, with driving 650 miles just yesterday. My back and legs were fine!

I'm assuming you tried tilting the front of the seat up/down to change how it effects your seat position? That's what did it for me.

btw, I averaged 34.9mpg for the trip. I didn't think that was bad for my I4 with the A/C on the whole time.

Mrbill
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I had surgery to remove two ruptured discs in my lower back. It's hard to be comfortable, for an extended period, in any one position. The tilt feature makes it much easier to find a different position (change pressure points), and still be comfortable. I hate power seats, because I have to stand outside the car, and move the seat back (sloowwwly) after my rather short wife has driven the car. Moving a manual seat back is much quicker. The tilt feature on the 8-way adjustable seat makes it worth the trouble. Which makes me wonder???? Does the manual seat have a tilt feature?
  • musicejrmusicejr Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 Accord EXL Sedan seats were MUCH better than the seats are in my 2008 Coupe.

I've only had 1 person out of a dozen or so friends and co-workers that didn't say the seats felt "off" too them as well. Some have even said the passenger seats are uncomfortable as well.
    and sure enough, they told me I was crazy. Say there is nothing they can do. Is there anybody out there who has been able to remedy this? Or does somebody have a link to another forum where they have discussed this?
    I too just got back from Dealer #2 tonight. I was hopeful at this second dealer when I sat in a 08 accord they had in the showroom that didnt have as much bump in the lower back. I thought for sure that the lumbar plate and headrest would need to be adjusted somehow. I just got it back and they said everything was fine and that car in the showrom was just sold. I was going to buy the seats out of the other car at a significant cost--too bad it was sold.

Issue is clearly the lumbar plate

Help!!!!!!!!!
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Seems the doctor is not the problem. Funny thing - of all the things I have had to endure with the 2008 EXL V6 with VCM, the seats have not been an issue with me.
    I like them firm. Travveled to Boston and back a few weeks ago perfectly comfortably.

But is seems Edmunds agrees with most here -
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2008HondaAccordEX-LV6/
    Firmness is not the problem---the seats force feed lumbar on you...If you dont like stout lumbar forget it...And adding additional lumbar "suuport " with the controls??? You Have to be Gumby to like that.
  • benicebenice Member Posts: 1
    Since I have a short torso, the head retraints on my2008 Accord obstruct my view. Do you know of any replacement restraints that could have a "cut-out" "see-through opening or restraints that are lower in height?
    I'd simply remove the restraints when you don't have rear passengers, and put them in the rear-floorboard. They shouldn't be any more difficult to remove than the front ones if they are like my 2006 Accord sedan.

Have a great weekend!

TheGrad
  • fenderguyfenderguy Member Posts: 1
    Know exactly what you are talking about. Had car for about a month. Called Honda Customer service, they have no complaints filed,,,yet. Took it to the dealer,,,same answer, suggested something like sending it out to a apolstry shop. A few moments ago, I pressed very hard against the back of the seat, and did, indeed, feel something hard there. Must be the Lumbar plate, and if I can feel it with my fist, means this is indeed,,,defective. I will ask for either a new seat, or,,,as the dealer suggested. Please make Honda customer service aware of this. Appears to be on select care, not wide spread, but enough to elicit responses from us. Let me know the outcome, I will post mine
  • acaracar Member Posts: 2
    "...I don't get it. Since 2003, Honda has built the BEST passenger seats in the class for the Accord..."

What class would that be?
    Accord seats are NOT class leaders. Sit in any Volvo to understand why Honda seats are inferior. Way inferior. BMW sport seats also put Honda/Acura seats to shame. Heck my '89 Legend has better seats than the new Accord. Don't get me wrong, you can find worse seats if you look for them. But Accord seats are pretty crappy and it's not uncommon for them to cause complaints.

YMMV
    I went the upolstry route---I have mixed results. They disengaged the lumbar plate but now there is too little support. Seems the plate plays a major role in the seat construction. Without it, I felt like I was sinking too deep didnt feel right from the start. I used those plastic white zip ties to prevent the plate from pushing too far out whic seems to have eleviated the lumbar feeling but the seat still isnt right.

I called Honda and comlained to them the the lumbar is rediculus 2 months ago. I had 12 people sit in the car and 11 of them all said there was "something wrong"

I am thinking about seeing if I can get a 2007 Accord seat installed. Noit sure of that will work. Any one with additional ideas I would love to hear them

Also, there is a user here (mvc753) who talked to rendar about going to the dealer and they "fixed" his seat. I would love to hear more about that
    I am curious about a couple of people mention that differnat 08 accords seemed to have differant levels of curverature in the seat back.
    That is what I was afraid of, which is why I decided to go against going to an upholstery shop. That is pretty much exactly what the dealer told me would happen if they took out the lumbar plate. I also asked the dealer when I brought mine in if it was possible to install an 07 seat, they said no, because the 08 seats are wider. What I am crossing my fingers for now is that the 09 seats are better and that I can get one of those installed. Not holding my breath, though.
    Yeah, I will hold on for 09's to see what that feels like. I cant beleive that more people have not complained about this.
    With the Accord coming in in the number 2 or 3 spot in US Sales, don't look for a change in the seats. They won't fix what sales say isn't broken.
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    My leather driver's seat has excessive wear at it's outboard edge and an ugly transfer stain from my belt. I doubt any of this is covered under warranty. So can anyone recommend a brand of seat covers which I'd put after I replace the seatback.
    If you do decide to purchase seat covers, they must be compatible with the airbags contained inside the seat. Or, you could just be more careful entering and exiting the car, so as not to damage the seat. When the leather seat in my 03 gets worn to the point where it bothers me, I will just purchase a new leather cover from Honda.
  • msmgmiamsmgmia Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. We got our 2008 in Nov 2007 and the leather around the seam is already worn. The bottom and back of the seat get very dirty and I do not know from what. You can not remove the stains. Told the dealer and they recommended their leather cleaner which we have been using. If we do not clean it weekly it looks like gray leather instead of tan. I work in an office, no one get in with dirty cloth. I'm very disappointed in the quality of the leather seats, I don't think they will last very long.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Finally, I got a chance to take the seat back off on both seats and fix the bulge.

On the passenger side, I had to make a cut out in a plastic back support and cut off lower supporting rod. The ouline of the plastic cover is needed since it supports some wirings with cable ties.

On the driver side, I removed the plastic cover and the lower supporting rod, A black cable is left intact. It is loosely tied to inside of the seat frame. The fix to driver side disables the power lumbar support that we never used anyway.

When we are ready to sell the car, I will put the driver side back to the way it was and leave the passenger side the way it is.

The seat back are now decent and are no longer poking us in the back. Once I get the outside temp read out for the car, we should be set for several years now.

Joe
    The Accord's seats have rather large side bolstering, so when you get in, and the seat is not all the way back, your rear end will usually rub on the side bolster. Most likely the part that's pealing is the side of the seat, which is not leather but vinyl. If you don't want this to happen, I suggest being extra careful not to slide across the bolster while entering. Have you tried "saddle soap" to clean the seats? It's the only thing I've found that works. I have the tan leather seats in my 03 Accord. They are looking a little worn, but it doesn't bother me much. It's kind of like an old baseball glove. When it's well broken in, it may not look great, but it feels better as it ages. When my driver seat gets to the point where it looks bad, I'll just buy a new cover from Honda, and change it myself.
    Good Point, I guess my only response to this is that this issue isn't discovered until post sale. These lower back issues dont start until you drive 100-200 miles or so. Great car, and deserves to be in the 2 or 3 spot, just very poor design when it comes to the active head restraint and the seat back. I would bet there are many more people out there that are dissatified with the seat at some level. I called Honda and the person on the phone told me that they are starting to field these complaints.

I agree with you though, I dont think they will change their stupid football like seat back.
    Joe, we spoke about this offline. For the driver's side, with the plate out, does your back sink too far into the seat? Also, the upper wire, does it come out like the lower one does? Thanks, Sean
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Prepping new leather:

The leather does not come delivered to the dealer all prepped and prepared for the long haul. You have to prep it, like cleaning it and moisturizing it. It comes to the dealer quite stiff and dry, and just think of how long it sits in the hot sun and up and down temperatures before you get pick it up at the dealer. Some cars have been sitting for months before being moved. My leather was really stiff and dry, then I got lexol, and it felt much better, and it looked better.

The leather has to be cleaned often, otherwise, all the small debris is going to like sand the surface of the leather. I used alot of lexol on the boltster part of the seat because you get in and out often and it takes a beating. Many don't prepare the seats when they first get the car, and often put a moisturizer on it. We just don't think about it. Even doing this now after some damage, will reverse some of the wear, but not all. It will look better. Just a quick spray, wipe, done.

If you get a new car with leather, you have to prep the leather or "vinyl". :)
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    I've tried moving the seat "to the back of the bus" and have modified my entry with "Batman" like grace - it's not in the cards that bolster grabs me each time. So it's live with until I cant stand the look and replace. Thanks for you comments.
  • cdn2cdn2 Member Posts: 8
    I drove from Colorado to Kansas and my back hurt so bad that I could barely get out of the car.

I told the Honda dealership and they said I was the first to ever complain and there was nothing they could do.

Oddly enough, my wife doesn't have a problem. I thought it might have to do with me being 6'5????
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    I was worried about the seats after reading this thread. Just got my EXL v6 last night, and I love the leather seats. I add a little lumbar support with the electric adjuster, and all is good. I'm 6' with a 32 inch inseam, so maybe it's certain body types.... Coming from a VW GTI, I'm used to very good and supportive seats and no complaints on the honda from me.....
  • wcellawcella Member Posts: 6
    A small puncture hole mysteriously appeared on the upright portion of the driver's seat (cloth seats) (no one around the house knows anything). :mad: Can this be "invisibly" repaired??
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    I took delivery of my v6 EXL sedan last week. Last night I gave the seats, armrest, and steering wheel a thorough conditioning with Lexol leather conditioner. Everything was very dry from the factory, and it really soaked up the conditioner. The end result is much better looking and feeling leather... Well worth the 30 minutes needed to condition the leather.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    My suggestion would be to see an auto upholstery shop. See what they can do to repair the seat. My guess is they will offer options of sewing the tear, but it will show, or replace the damaged panel with matching fabric, but that will cost more.

Mrbill