Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• ryelenikryelenik Member Posts: 8
    I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited that does the same thing. Mine also has a relay that clicks when any door is open. And when the display blinks the cargo light blinds too. Other little things that are to numerous to list.No one can give me any answers.
  • noturkey101noturkey101 Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4x2. A few months ago my gauge cluster began to turn on and off, and eventually while driving the Jeep just shut down. It still had electic power but would not turn over. I ended up having to replace the computer. Now about two months with the new computer the gauges are turning on and off again. What should I check for, or replace before the computer dies on me again.
  • 1521sham1521sham Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2x2. A couple of weeks ago my vehicle started giving me problems. Wehn i would crank my Jeep up the oil gauge had a reading of zero even though i had my oil changed two weeks prior to the incidents. When ever i crank my Jeep up and press my gas pedals the oil gauge goes back to the middle, but as soon as i drive off it falls back down to the zero and the check guage light comes back on. Does anyone have an ideao to what it could be? Thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    i would first change the oil pressure sending unit that sounds as if that went bad
  • mprinohiomprinohio Member Posts: 4
    Your problem may fall into the same category as the rest of us, as this may ultimately be another one of those electrical problems that many of us don't have a resolution for.

However, the first thing to do, is to check the diagnostic code for your problem. It's an easy thing to do on the JGC (at least on my 2000 JGC it is). With the vehicle not running, turn the key toward ACC (backward or opposite of starting) once, then back to the original position. Perform this three times. On the third attempt, the "P" diagnostic code will be displayed in the same area as your odometer, followed by the word "done". Perform an internet search for Jeep diagnostic codes, to find the reason for your problem.

Realize that this may be a false code; i.e. something that doesn't really indicate the true problem. As I said, many of the older Jeeps are experiencing problems with gauges not working, in conjunction with dashboard lights being lit up. No one appears to have a resolution for this. If you take the vehicle to a dealership, they'll probably attempt to change the PCM and/or BCM, which will cost you a pretty penny. Rest assured, that won't solve the problem.

Check other online boards like CNET, but you won't find much in the way of help. Sorry.
  • thebigguy2thebigguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me with this New Problum,
    I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7, i drove it yesterday and it was running great, now today it will not turn over,when you open the hood you smell a strong electrics burning under the battery? Does anybody know why i am getting a strong smell of electrics burning and would this stop the truck from turning over.
    Also i replaced the battery last week. :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It sounds like you either have a short circuit somewhere in your electrical system or your alternator is burned out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    could have a bad starter as when you try to start if starter is bad will smell bad could be short in starter
  • kman22kman22 Member Posts: 2
    OK, so these problems may not have anything to do with one another but i get the sense they are related...

Jeep GC 2001
    - wipers stopped working about a month ago. then a few days later started working again
    - tailgate power lock stopped working a week or two ago. works sometimes but mostly not
    - today, blinkers would not work. Lever on steering column goes up and down, but no "clicking" or arrows showing on dash.

Anyone have any thoughts?

and somewhat related, How do you check or change the fuses in the box under the hood?

thanks- E Kamer
  • wcf59wcf59 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 95 JGC with straight 6, auto 4WD, 159,000 miles. The tranny is supposed to be out. When I looked at it we had trouble getting it started, but after leaving the key on for several minutes I heard a click then the fuel pump ran and I was able to start it. I towed it home today and now it wont start. Im not getting power at the fuel pump. Ive checked ALL fuses and relays and all are good. Im leaning towarda PCM problem but dont know how to check it. I also need a wiring diagram that shows what wire coming from the PCM powers the fuel system. There are some otehr issues that Ill be asking about but need to get it running first.
  • wcf59wcf59 Member Posts: 2
    Update: Its a 1994 JGC. I replaced the pcm with one I found in a salvage yard and it now starts. The tranny is messed up. Bucks and shakes sometimes when in drive with foot on brake. reverse seems fine. Not much power driving forward. Power windows are not owrking. I replaced the master switch with one from salvage but they still dont work. There is power at the master switch. the latch on the rear hatch doesnt work eight, seems like the handls qont pull the rod far enough to release the latch. same on the rear passenger door. Also the power door locks dont work on all of the doors.
  • fdsa21212fdsa21212 Member Posts: 2
    Hi -- sorry if this is in the wrong place but Im having a problem with my Grand Cherokee (1993).

For the past few months the 'Check Oil Level' Message has been coming up on the computer notification system over and over again. I have changed and checked the oil several times, added 2 extra quarts, and done everything I can think of to get it to stop. I am wondering, what are my options here.. Is there a way I can disconnect or remove something to atleast get it to shut off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • lisac0608lisac0608 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    my power windows dont work, when i lock my doors using my key all doors lock except the drivers door...

tonight when i cranked it up i have my lights on auto and they would not come on,i have to twist it to "on"... where it shows how many miles to empty,miles to service, outside temp etc... on the roof its showing -- ..... my radio works and dash lights, when i twist my lights all the way off my radio lights go off but not the ones in the dash. oh yea and at the same time this happened my ac is not cooling
  • gaj2888gaj2888 Member Posts: 5
    Had similar problems with my Jeep Cherokee. Check the wiring running through the drivers side door (probably running through a black conduit or hose). You more then likely have a crack in one of the wires inside this hose causing a short. In the cherokee this was the orange wire, check them all.
  • 04jeepgclowner04jeepgclowner Member Posts: 2
    Similar issue to Donna's. And, I've previously posted but now have additional symptoms:
    The skinny: '04 Jeep JGC Limited SOHC. I replaced the battery in May of 2009. At the time, the terminals were showing evidence of corrosion and I stupidly did not clean the cables. But, I did clean them off in January of 2010.

The issue: Car will not start right away. Problem goes away for a couple weeks, then comes back. No electronics will work. But fiddling with ignition, pumping brakes (don't ask me why...), doing an Irish jig, taking a pen cap and chewing 7 times, then wait for about 1-2 minutes, starts up just fine. Sometimes, I go into a store and depending how long I'm gone, it will not start right away. If it sits for a better part of the day, it'll start just fine.
    But, the clock resets to 12. However, the radio presets are all still there. Seat memory still there. No other problems. Car drives fine, shifts fine, everything. Oh, but third brake light in hatch is out (and I think this has been out for a very long time).

Symptoms: It all started with the car not wanting to turn over, so I tried a couple more times and started up just fine. Then, my wife had similar issue a couple weeks after that. Then, a couple weeks later, I had same issue but started noticing other things other than the car not wanting to start. No sounds, no clicking, just no nothing. Then, for some unknown reason, it starts up as if nothing was wrong.

Here's what I've noticed the half-dozen times or so it's happened:
    When I shut car off and remove ignition key, the driver's seat does not move back. I open the door, no interior lights, nothing. Can't lock it with key fob, nothing.
    When I put ignition key back in and to the ACC position, the needles in all the guages flicker up and down/back and forth about a quarter inch. And, I hear a clicking sound from under the dash or hood (not sure which). I try to turn it over, needles in gauges stop and absolutely nothing happens.
    Recently, my wife noticed the malfunction warning light come on for a day, but I drove it the next day and did not get a warning light at all.
    The transmission fluid needs to be changed and recently had passenger side window regulator replaced but this problem has been going on since before the regulator went out.

I'm now thinking that it's a control module. Would it be the PCM? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I really don't want to spend a grand I don't have.
    I've heard the dealer has to re-program the PCM when it has been replaced. Is this true?
  • raynidayeraynidaye Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Limited that I used to love until I started having problems. Here is the list and I would be ever grateful if anyone can help with... any of them.

1. Airbag light comes on intermittenly

Sometimes I can go a whole week without it coming on and sometimes it will come on and off every 10 seconds or so and drive me insane. What's causing this? I tried and see if turning the steering wheel slowly to see if it does at a certain angle, but it comes on randomly at whatever angle... whenever it feels like it.

2. Pedal adjust

For some reason, the accelator is stuck on the furthest setting and the brake pedal is stuck on the closest setting. This makes for a rather awkward motion whenever I have to stop since I basically have to heave my foot over and up 12 inches to stop. How do I fix this?

3. Passenger seat tilt stuck

I can hear the motor sluggishly humming, but the far right and far left switches don't move the seat at all. The middle one still moves the seat backward and forward fine, just not tilt or elevate.

4. Squeaking noise underneath

Whenever I stop or go over a speed bump, there is a squeaking noise. It's not the brakes because I know what that sounds like, but this one sounds like it's coming from the suspension. What's causing it? Better yet, how do I fix it?

Help, please?
  • stowie81stowie81 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 91 jeep cherokee with a 4.0..it startd when i was driving and it died on me.. start back up and stall again.. replaced the whole fuel system and now when i turn the key on.. i have no power to the ignition and fuel pump.. but lights and horn works.. fuses r good.. couldnt find any fusible links...im stumped..anyone got any suggestions?.. o.. i also replaced the crank sensor and auto shutdown relay
  • jm55jm55 Member Posts: 1
    My1999 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited – 1J4GW68N7XC6889389- stalls and stops mostly in heavy traffic condition. stop and go at slow speeds. Some times it stops also on cruising at 80 or 90 kmph. It happens about 3 to 4 times a day at slow speeds or cruising. what I have noticed as engine stalls and Check Gages light is on. Initially all gages looks ok. Within 2 or three seconds fuel gage shows Empty and security KEY sign is on. If you leave it these for 5 or 10 minutes and keep ignition on, if fuel gauge moves (showing not empty) it will start and you can drive off. If traffic is heavy it may stall again after a kilometer or so. If you can drive at about 80Kmph it goes for about 30 to 40 minutes and stall again. Twice I gave it to two different agency workshops and got the wiring checked and cleaned. On both occasions it worked without any stalling for 5 days and started to stall again. In both occasions there was no error code displayed when checked with computer. When stalling occurs and fuel gauge shows empty; the computer shows NO Communication with PCM.
    Stalling problem is not there in winter on Highways. I can drive 500 to 600 km in one go. But as soon as it enters heavy city traffic it stalls with loss of power and fuel gage shows Empty along with other gauges.
    I Got crank position sensor replaced at the workshop but problem persists. Also tried swapping of the ASD and fuel pump relay. Checked all cleaned all wiring harness. Still problem is existing for almost 2 years now.
  • jeepssuckjeepssuck Member Posts: 10
    Yours is a pretty common problem among Jeeps. The stalling without any notice is in all likelihood, the malfunction of the crankcase sensor. They can't run a diagnostic because a check engine light doesn't appear. The crank sensor runs about $50.00 at Auto Zone, or less if you purchase it on Ebay. There are YouTube videos that tell you how to replace the sensor, but it's better left to a mechanic. Had a mechanic replace mine for $60.00, and had no more issues with stalling.

FYI: Never take a Jeep to a Jeep garage for issues like this. They are nothing but talentless hacks that are out to gouge the customer out of $$$, and generally can't fix the problem. Try to find a good mechanic that will work with you on solving these issues, and continue to read the forums (another good one on CNET), because chances are, you will experience more problems that will seem totally strange and illogical. Ultimately, you can blame many of the Jeep issues to just great American ingenuity, and is a testament to why Chrysler is in the condition that it is.
  • rkymtnmanrkymtnman Member Posts: 3
    I believe I now have a "SHORT" in my electrical, last night we had a long wet unusual storm for Boulder, CO. and this morning my "Dome" lights staied on, my Alarm sounds after I've secured the vehicle after 5 minn. and my instrument panel says the rear loading hatch is open. I've disconnected and reconnected the batter, what else do i need to do
  • explorer1818explorer1818 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car with the same "stalls in heavy traffic" DID YOU GET THE PROBLEM RESOLVED AND IF SO , HOW ???
    If your symptoms are:
    - No check engine lights (or other lights) appearing on dash
    - Vehicle stalls with no warning; could stall while starting up, or while driving at highway speeds
    - Stalling occurs more often when engine is hot

It's a faulty crank sensor. Auto Zone sells the part for around $50; sells on Ebay for around $20. I'm told that part can be replaced with the right tools and if you're mechanically inclined; I took my JGC to a local mechanic who replaced the sensor for $60. Ran just fine after that.

DO NOT TAKE THE VEHICLE TO A DEALERSHIP FOR REPAIRS!!!!
  • havo1havo1 Member Posts: 1
    none of the gauges are working.It started with just the speedo and rev counter .I have changed the panel as instructed but it is the same.Any suggestions please
  • berger49berger49 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a used 2006 Grand Cherokee 2 weeks ago and I will already be taking it back to the dealer for the 3rd time due to the gauges bouncing all around when I am driving at constant speeds. To give you the update so far...First time, they checked the battery and tightened up the posts, claimed that would fix the problem. Second time around they replaced the ignition switch, again claimed that would fix the problem. Since it is under warranty, I will make them check every idea until the damn thing is actually fixed. I would greatly appreciate it if someone wants to point me in some sort of direction since the mechanics at the dealership I purchased from seem to have no clue.
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2010
    I have a 99 grand cherokee 6cyl, had similar problem. Gauges bouncing, do you mean every gauge pegs to far side then goes to zero, maybe continues in this manner? That is the problem i had, also does any electronic overhead displays you have like miles per gallon, trip odometer(not the one in dash) all reset? If so, i think dealer was on right track with tightening battery posts, but when it happened again they should have replaced battery. When i had the problem i had noticed my battery gauge was reading 12.5 volts which i assumed was ok, it was in ok range of gauge, but a fully charged battery is actually 13.75 volts. Your jeep is 2006, battery is near end of life if original and may be low, good enough to start jeep, but the delicate computer acts weird with lower voltages and can cause a lot of strange electrical issues. When i replaced my battery 5 months ago, problems were all solved, so make sure your battery is closer to 14 volts than 12 volts with full load. Go to any store that sells battery's for them to test. Your battery is usually not under a warranty, but if it fails this test maybe you can complain and get one, or just shell out bucks somewhere else to buy one. Autozone will test and install free of labor charge right in the parking lot. Weak battery is a huge cause of intermittent electrical problems in grand cherokee, dealers never admit it and always look elsewhere for some reason.
    HERE HERE i always suggest to change battery when having funny electrical problems jeeps like a steady voltage
  • arron777arron777 Member Posts: 1
    The last few months, sometimes my 97 JGC won't started after I turned the key, there is no power and I checked the battery terminal, it was good, the inside light was not on when the door was opened, but I can see the light under the hood was on, and hear some squeeky noise under the glove compartment, sounds like the relay/coil... or something trying to start or kick on... and sometime I slam the door few times I was able to start the car... It was just frustrating because it was intermitten, but the last few days it happended so often... Any suggetstions???
    edited May 2010
    1) Check to make sure that your battery terminals are clean and free of corrosion.
    2) Ensure that the battery connections are secure to the battery. Even though the hood light may be on, it may be dimly lit. Jiggle the battery connetions around to ensure that they are TIGHT!! to the terminals; you'll know that you have a good connection when the hood light is brightest.
    3) The BCM is located under the glove compartment. A common issue with the older JCG's is that the BCM contacts become corroded and cause all sorts of electrical problems. One solution is to:
    1) Disconnect the battery
    2) Find the BCM; Pull the module from it's plug.
    3) Clean the contacts thoroughly with contact cleaner. Wipe the contacts dry.
    4) Reconnect the BCM and battery.

Good luck!
  • killthemysterykillthemystery Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Grand cherokee. Engine light on. Replaced fuel pump, wires , rotor , cap , plugs, o2 sensor, trans sensor ( on 3rd one in one week). Was running fine after, trans sensor, engine light still on, after 02 sensor was installed trans sluggish, feels like emergency brake on. Three mechanics, no solution. Also, have a friend had same problem. No mechanic could solve it. Tranny eventually went and scrapped it. There's an answer for everything in this universe. What's this one? (tranny was running fine before 02 sensor, although idling a little rough, sometimes hard to start) The last mechanic said he's not getting a reading from something and he can't get a diagnosis on the scanner—mentioned possible govenor problem in trans. Anyone got the inside skinny on this problem, sounds like it's not only me??

Best,

Mark
    I just ran into this problem, and for my situation, it was the the rear hatch. there was a short (Open) in the housing for the rear latch assy. IF it's no bother to you to have ALL your electronics working, you can disconnect the harness, and be on your way, but in my situation, I had the rear hatch assymb. replaced and of course it's a dealer part, so they soaked me $200 just for the part, and it took only 30 min. to install. You might be able to find a perfectly good replacement at a jeep graveyard.
    Has anyone or can anyone help me out. My moon/sun roof has a random glitch. On occasion when I go to close the slider, it will connect with the "Saftey" bar and re open half way. when that happens I have to push to close several times before it actually completely closes. any ideas?
  • dyeomansdyeomans Member Posts: 2
    I have changed the battery but there is still a strange ticking sound underneath the driver's side dash. The windows or AC will not work. Radio does work. It did this about 2 months ago when I started it....the lights went crazy blinking on and off, etc. We unplugged the battery for the night and that worked. However, it did not work this time w/the new battery. Any suggestions?
  • dyeomansdyeomans Member Posts: 2
    The lights are flashing on and off again too! Weird!
    Just to update... I think the problem with my Jeep might actually be solved. The dealership took apart the entire dashboard and went over every connection. In doing so, they found "MULTIPLE" ground wires that were loose. They fixed them and I have had no problems since that correction has been made.
    FYI: When the highly qualified mechanics at the dealership work on the electrical system of your vehicle,the first thing that they do is disconnect the battery. Realize that disconnecting the battery, and leaving the terminals off for at least an hour, essentially "re-boots" the electrical system. When this occurs, the electrical system will appear to function normally for a short period of time...up to 10 days.

Obviously, this leaves everyone with a false sense of success. Just something to think about.
  • dj_moversdj_movers Member Posts: 15
    Dear berger49,

I have a problem w/ '06 JGC where the every indicator in the entire instrument panel illuniates at once while driving. Driving performance is not affected. I am not positive what the gauges did. Did you see this problem? I am glad that the loose gnd repair fixed your problem.

dj
    Dear dyeomans,

What year is the JGC? I have an '06 and the headlights flash on and off rapidily in auto beam off mode. Are you talking about this problem with the headlights or something else. This is an infrequent occurance, however, it is dangerous. So far I can make it stop by switching to auto beam on.

dj
    dj,

i experienced random warning lights...typically the airbag light, the service engine light, and the traction control lights would flash on and off in addition to the tach and speedo bouncing all over the place while i was driving at a constant speed.
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2010
    It sounds like a case of battery under load having low voltage, if you have a battery gauge you may notice instead of it pointing to close to 14 volts its closer to 12 volts as you drive, logically that would seem to be ok since its still in good range on gauge, but it indicates battery is near end of life, you have a 2006, have you replaced battery lately? if not, its near end of life. The jeep computer needs a stronger voltage than just over 12, and a weak input can cause what you describe. Go to a place that sells battery' and gives free battery checks. Sears, Pep Boys, etc. Auto parts stores are cheaper, most will check voltage, if you buy battery they will install labor free, Auto Zone does this right in parking lot, you don't need an auto parts store with mechanics bays. This is a quick free test at auto zone, try it, post if it was cause or not. I had similar problems about 2 weeks before battery finally died and left me stranded, new battery fixed all issues, i had noticed battery read about 12.5 volts on gauge before failure, now it reads about 13.7 with the battery i put in 5 months ago with no repeat of problems, knock on wood.
    berger,

Sounds like the same thing. Both cars are 2006. So far, I have only seen this problem a few times. I will remember the ground connection issue. BTW, my battery is new. Please post again should your problem return.

Regards,

dj
  • irandirand Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    We are having the exact same problems. What if any, did you find out about the vehicle dying. The vehicle will turn off with no warning. We have also had some a/c & heating work performed by the dealer...so did not fix the problem. The engine light is on with crazy readings and just today the indicator for check guages displayed.
    OK, here is a new one that I think is more common. 2006 JGC. The power window will not completely close. When you close the window, it goes all the way to the top, then reverses and comes part of the way back down and then stops. Any ideas?

Thanks,

dj
    need to change the window relay for that window
    tuggajb,

Thanks, any idea where it is located? I could not find it in the 2 access panels. Maybe it is in the door???

Thanks,

dj
    upon further reading the motors on the window of that year use current load to reverse if you have a binding in the window or tracks could cause the motor to reverse as a safety move (to prevent injury to people between the window and frame of the door ) check for binding and if not need new motor
  • djjustdjjust Member Posts: 1
    This problem is the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. Common problem
  • john448john448 Member Posts: 2
    One of the switches to open the window on the master switch panel is broken.
    Dealer suggest to me to replace the entire master switch panel to solve the problem but this is a costly event.

Do you know whether I'm able to replace only the switch and if not If I need to get the entire master switch panel where I can buy this (used) so I can install it myself.

Any help is welcome as can't open the drivers window at the moment

Regards

John
    John: I've found Ebay to be a great place to find replacement parts for both of my Jeep GC's.
    If you can't find the part on Ebay, Auto Zone carries a great deal of electrical parts for the vehicle. Generally, you can perform an internet search on AutoZone.com to check for availability before visiting the store.
    I'm sure that I don't have to tell you that dealership repair shops tend to focus more on gouging the customer, than on doing the CORRECT job at the right price. Not everyone has access to a mechanic; I suppose that I'm lucky in the fact that there is a small vehicle mechanic's shop in the small city that I reside, and I tend to leave jobs like this to him. This may not be a difficult fix, but a sharp mechanic could probably do the job in short work, and do it right. To determine the difficulty of the job, you may want to search YouTube; there are many videos on YouTube, that range from the simple to the more difficult jobs.
    Hi tuggajb,

One thing I should have mentioned. The work around is to roll the window up while keeping my finger activating the window switch. When the window reaches the top, I continuing holding my finger on the switch for several seconds until I hear a slight click. Then the window stays in the proper position.

dj
    yep sounds as if the window motor is going bad draws to much power try and spray silicone lube in the window channels see if that helps reduce the drag