Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• lmcchesneylmcchesney Member Posts: 2
    Would like to know if anyone has experienced a problem where this no electrical power? fully charge battery, no lights and no electrical when ignition is turned on.
  • bee007bee007 Member Posts: 12
    Just replaced the battery (only three years old) and now the Jeep will stay running after starting but still having dash problems. The gauges only work maybe 10% of the time and the dash warning lights are lit. One time all lights went out except for the light that looks like a small key ( security ?) . Any idea's.
    Thanks Brian
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    next change ignition switch easy and not to costly could have bad contacts
  • pumpkindaddypumpkindaddy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Vehicle is a 95 Jeep GCL 2WD 4.0 L in-line 6 cyl, automatic. When I turn the key to the start position there is nothing. No click, no lights dimming, just nothing. The ignition cylinder broke about 10 days ago and I replaced it. Started and ran fine for 10 days. Yesterday, nothing. Checked and charged the battery, cleaned the terminals. All was fine. Can anyone recommend a trouble shooting sequence? Is the starter solenoid integral with the starter on this car? Can I jumper the ignition switch to check that switch without wrecking something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • electricalprobelectricalprob Member Posts: 1
    I got my jeep two years ago. It's a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited v8. It was running fine until recently. Now, when i drive it the noise it makes when you first start the car ( the three little beeps ) is now a constant ringing the whole car ride. Also a new finding is today as I was at work, i looked up and noticed my hazards were flashing like they do when the alarm goes off, only the horn wasn't going off too. Really odd things have been happening with it lately. Like it not staring and all the lock go haywire for a couple minutes. Suggestions before I put any money into this situation???
  • kramer842kramer842 Member Posts: 5
    I just started having this problem with my 1999 grand cherokee. Did you ever resolve the problem? Thanks!
  • erkanerkan Member Posts: 5
    From what I've been reading, with any electrical Jeep issues: first make sure your battery is GOOD, that it holds a load test. THEN continue with diagnostics. New battery seemed to help my problem so mine is probably weak power or ground problem, check your ground connections/wires etc. Been too busy to look further but some have reported weird electrical issues resolved by fixing the PCM harnesses (firewall). Will look at that next one of these days. Good luck.
  • greatsamugreatsamu Member Posts: 1
    crank sensor on tranny
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2010
    no,i have just been keeping the dash illumination and interior light switch on stalk completely off by day and if i turn on dash illumination at night i turn it off on exiting. I have not had time to see if there is a fuse or relay that controls this, or if it could be the body control module which i understand is under dash on passenger side- i won't mess with body control module, if i find a relay i'll post back, i don't have time to fix, if you fix, please post.
  • cal65cal65 Member Posts: 6
    2000 Grand Cherokee, 4.0L automatic
    when starting, the airbag light comes on, then goes off for 2 to 3 seconds then comes on and stays on.

checked clockspring continuity ok. Airbag Control Module is $400, DBDIII scan is $125. Anyone got some likely failure mode for this one? Are the ACMs on ebay workable?

thanks
    Changed the battery and now it stays running, all the warning lights are always lit
    and gauges dont work, also the elect. windows will not work with the engine running
    but work fine with the key turned to accessories. So i replaced the ignition switch
    like everyone say's to do but that did not fix anything. It is in great shape and i love driving it so i dont want to get rid of it. Any more suggestion's
    Thanks Brian
  • heathernbrownheathernbrown Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L and for the past 5 months i have had several problems. First thing i went into Jeep was because my sun roof was leaking and water was coming through the middle overhead push lights and on the two side grab handles. After this i noticed my radio was randomly increase when i was stopped i would turn the volume knob and nothing would happen, also that the lights on my temperature controls started not to work.

I took my car into the Buerge Jeep and and explained to them water was comming through the lights and also that there is a high pitch sound when i accelerate sometime, that when i put my car in reverse it hesitates for more than 10-15 seconds, also about my radio and not to mention an exhaust leak. They fixed the sun roof and a fuse for my radio. They said they did not see/hear an exhaust leak nor did they hear a high pitch noise and that they did not notice the car not engaging in reverse. When i got my car it only had 2 miles more on it then when i dropped it off and i dont see how it was properly tested.

Two weeks later all the lights in my instrument and gauge cluster start flashing including check engine, flashers, gauges would drop to 0, seatbelt light and if the air was on it would shut off and then turn back on along with all my interior lights and my headlights. When i took it into Jeep they were perplexed and had no idea what it could be. When they called me they blamed it on my battery and also my sound system that i had. I went out and bought a new battery and the service writer told me that if the problems keep happening and it's not the battery then they will reimburse me for the battery.

Three weeks later i was having the same problems. So i spoke with the Service Manager who told me they would reimburse me as well. This time they blamed the problem on the battery control mount that my old battery leaked battery acid on it and ruined a control mount. Now i still have the old battery which they did not even clean and i only kept it because there is no leak. I have taken it to my mechanic and he has tested it and it was good. I know that the battery is not covered under warranty, but obviously since this has happened after replacing all the stuff they said the old battery ruined that the problem is still happening. Just does not makes sense. They said they wont give me money, instead they will reimburse me by waving the deductible, However my car was still under the same deductible since the problems were not fixed the first time and not they are just being a dealership and taking advantage of people.

So i pick up my car and 2 weeks later it was back at Jeep for the same problems. The car was there a week and they said they need to replace the wiring harness and the part wont be in for 3 weeks. The car is almost up of its extended warranty so i left it there for over a month. I went down to collect everything out of the car to find that my CD player completely broken wont eject CD's. They called me to get my car 28th of October saying my car is ready. I asked if they fixed the CD player and sure enough they forgot so it was there a week more to get a new CD player.

I just got my car back on friday November 5, 2010 and i took it in on September 20, 2010. So as of having it back three days i have not noticed any problems with my gauges but my new radio they out in is still not responding all the time when i turn knobs. Also on the service paper it shows i brought it in with 69142 miles and after has 69192. However my odometer reads 69584. I have not driven 400 miles in 4 days and now i dont know what to say to say to them about this.

I just would like to know if anyone is having these problems and if so what was the solution. I'm sorry for the long post with many different things being mentioned. I am not very happy with the service i have received and the fact that i'm still having problems. If you have any suggestions i would love to hear/read them. I'm open for all suggestions.

Heather
  • larryftzgrldlarryftzgrld Member Posts: 1
    i just replaced the ecm with one from a junkyard and now the security wont let it keep running does any one know if i can bypass the security or if i need to have something done to the ecm
  • theallsparktheallspark Member Posts: 1
    Well On my 91 cherokee my alarm kept giveing me problems mostly from alot of faulty switches and alamr sensors in doors. I disabled it by grounding out the alarm bypass wire. Most vehicles have them. Mine was purple and green I think. If this sounds like something you want to do I will see if I can find the right color for yours.

truly,

-L
    Can anyone tell me what wire in the door boot is the one with the problem, windows dont work with engine running also interior dome lights stay on all the
    time unless you turn dimmer switch all the way off and the remote locks dont
    work. Help please, Brian
  • 1pt21jigowatts1pt21jigowatts Member Posts: 25
    I have a 1999 GC with a battery problem. Just swapped out the battery, nothing draining off of the battery and a fresh alternator. I'll be driving and the battery indicator will start to drop after about an hour of driving. It got to the point once that the car died on me while I was on 95 North! This happened 3 months ago, had it towed to my dealership, had it jumped the next day, and all of the indications were it was back to normal. Now it looks like it may be heading back to that problem. Had an 1hour plus long drive yesterday and the battery indicator is just outside of the danger zone. It was holding steady on my drive in to work this morning after letting it sit last night. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem before and what the remedy was.
    sensor under the battery have the shop check that
  • p_locop_loco Member Posts: 1
    My jeep ran then it didnt run then ran. Then I did a tune up with plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, pick up coil, coil, crank sensor. It ran for a day and died. Has not started ever since. I checked for spark at coil, none. Fuel pump works. Cheked relays, they work. When I turn key on I dont hear the power dist. box click at all. asd relay works. It had a old security system with auto start. I removed it completly harness and everything related for that security system. All lights work. Everything works but no power to ignition system or power dist block. Someone said it could be the computer. Thats $600.00 new but under $50.00 at a junk yard. Does anybody know what I could try. I really need this car to work. Please help. Thanks. :sick:
  • jeepssuckjeepssuck Member Posts: 10
    Do the "turn the key backward three times" trick to determine the diagnostic code (for more detail, search through these forums and the ones on C-Net.com). Another thing to try is to clean the contacts on the BCM with contact cleaner. The BCM on some of the later models (2000) used to be inside, under the dash near the glove box. Also, check the wiring near the boot on either door. Sometimes the wiring becomes frayed from opening/closing the doors. One more thing...a temp. fix to these stupid electrical problems is to disconnect the battery, leave disconnected for at least an hour, then reconnect. It tends to "reboot" the electrical system, similar to the reboot of a PC.

Finally, try to find a mechanic locally with experience in working on the Jeeps. DO NOT TAKE THE VEHICLE TO A DEALERSHIP TO BE WORKED ON! They won't find the problem, and it will cost you $$$$.
  • cheraloncheralon Member Posts: 1
    Do you happen to have a part # for those harnesses. I have been having alot of similar issues with my 2006 JGCL. & has been the shop numerous times. but i suggested the harnesses be replace and they said that it would be helpful to know a part #.
    I put a new battery in it and it stayed running, then i disconnected the battery to
    work on other things ( dash, gauges ) reconnected the battery and now when you
    start it , it shuts off after 3 to 4 seconds like it did before. I give up, any suggestions
    to try.
    Brian
  • erkanerkan Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Posted awhile ago here about electrical problem similar to yours. 2001 Grand Cherokee with 1686 SKIM no BUS code, gauges come & go. Cranks but dies out after 2-3 seconds. New battery seemed to help, was able to drive vehicle to dealer, had SKIM module replaced, drove home, and same problem returned.

Should try the Crankshaft position sensor &/or wiring around it: seems to be known problem causing PCM and hence bus problems. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing PCM & or the BCM. --Erkan
  • johnjojohnjo Member Posts: 11
    98 JGC 4lt auto. All the interior lights have just [I think, only got it last week] started to stay on permanently & obviously drain the battery completely. Don't have the manual yet [ordered] can someone tell me where the relay or fuse is so that I can remove it until I can find the fault, or better still can anyone tell me how to cure it.
    Regards
    John
  • johnjojohnjo Member Posts: 11
    Anyone needing the

'1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee (RHD & LHD)Interactive Electronic Service Manual'

click on the link below, you'll need something like 'Winzip' to open it as it's a *.rar file, just Google winzip for a free download.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mq5i19ayhwua1t

Regards John
  • jauiboydjauiboyd Member Posts: 4
    I am having the SAME exact problem, word for word as you explained...please let me know if you were able to resolve this issue so that I can let my mechanic know what to look for. THANK YOU
    Jauiboyd@yahoo.com
    I have an 04 jeep grand cherokee laredo
  • pj43pj43 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I have similar problem, had the transfer case replaced went to start it ran lousy did a tune up ,started great ran for about 10 mins, ran great. It dyed on its own, now I have no spark, just cranks. Did you ever solve your problem?
  • tammycattammycat Member Posts: 1
    My roommate is out of town and I have been using his jeep. After work the other day, I started the jeep but the heat and windshield wipers would not turn on. I started scraping ice off of the windshield when the jeep started sputtering like it was running out of gas and about to die. I ran and slammed my hand on the gas pedal to give it some juice but it still died. As soon as it died, the heat and windshield wipers blasted on and the gauges on the dashboard cranked all of the way up. It hasn't started since. It smelled like something electric was burning but there was no smoke. The jeep is an all-wheel drive, 1999 jeep grand cherokee with a V8 engine and about 148,000 miles. I tried getting a jump start but that did not do anything. When I try and start it, it does not make any noise like it is even trying to start but the lights, heat, and wipers will still come on. I went to wal mart the night before for an oil change. My roommate is convinced that the workers at wal mart messed something up and he's not impressed that I took it there. A lot of people have been telling me that 1999 jeeps are known for having a lot of electric problems. I really want to do what I can before my roommate gets home and was just wondering if anybody had any advice as to what I could or should do. Thank you so much in advance! Tammy
    first thing i would do is replace the ignition switch that is mounted to the steering column at the bottom( Not where the key goes)
  • mac113mac113 Member Posts: 1
    HAVE 94 JEEP, NOTICED WHILE DRIVING THAT BATTERY GAGE GOES DOWN TO ALMOST NOTHING. , CHECKED BATTERY WAS OK . THEN A FEW DAYS LATER DEAD. CHARGED BATTERY , STARTED ENGINE, GAGE UP IN NORMAL RANGE, THEN LATER IT WAS BACK TO NOTHING OR JUST ABOVE. DROVE TO PARTS STORE AND HAD ALTERNATOR TESTED ,OK,
    BUT NOTICED POS BAT CABLE LOOSE. BAD END, REPLACED CABLE END AND THOURLY CLEANED POST. DROVE NEXT DAY ALL SEEMED OK, SAT 1 DAY THEN DROVE AGAIN ALL LOOKING GOOD FROM THE START, UNTIL HEADING HOME LATER IN THE DAY NOTICED GAGE BACK TO ALMOST NOTHING, NEXT MORNING BAT DEAD, :confuse:

BY SOME CHANCE CAN THE ALTERNATOR BE BREAKING DOWN THERMOLY, :sick: GAGE READING NORMAL WHEN COLD AND THEN START TO,. DROP AS IT GETS HOT . ??????

READ LOT OF INTERESTING ELECT ISSUES BUT NOT LIKE THIS. ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR ISSUE , THANKS FOR RESPONSES
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited January 2011
    I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that has been in my immediate family since it was new. It originally came with the Infinity Gold AM/FM stereo w/ cassette with graphic equalizer and power antenna. It also has an amp located underneath the bottom cushion of the back seat on the driver's side. When it was about two years old, it the head unit was swapped out with the Infinity Gold AM/FM CD...my mom had worn out all her Anne Murray and ONJ cassettes, I think! =)

It all worked fine until 2006, when the radio would suddenly go silent for a few minutes once in a while. For a long time it only happened once or twice per month. My dad had inherited at this point (he gets mom's hand-me-downs) and when the problem got worse and started happening for longer periods and more frequently, he bought a new head unit for $50 off Ebay thinking that might fix the problem. It had no effect on the issue and it soon became more common for the radio not to work when you started the engine.

The CD player doesn't work but it always shows PLAY or PAUSE and I hear static/hissing from the speakers. Hitting the EJECT button will get rid of the PLAY/PAUSE indicator and sometimes the radio will work after doing this. If it doesn't start working, turning the headlights on/off, using a turn signal or switching the radio on and off will do the trick???

I have no idea where to begin looking for the source of the problem, but I really would .like to fix it. I use the Jeep as a second vehicle and drive it mostly on weekends, but I hate driving without a radio...not that I don't love hearing all the ruckus that the good ol' 4.0L makes, but no stereo could totally drown it out! =)

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting or what the problem could be? Could it be related to the amp or ??? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • pj43pj43 Member Posts: 9
    your post on the 6th; in the morning before you try to start the jeep, see if your alternator is hot, if it is sucking the juice from your battery.
  • architectkmparchitectkmp Member Posts: 16
    Hello and apologies for taking so long to reply. I have looked through my papers and have many to be sure but I cant find one with the harness part numbers. I think the dealer may still have it but as i recall it was the main harness in front of the firewall and the main ignition harness behind the firewall. I believe these harnesses are the only ones that directly relate to the ignition and instrument cluster. if i find anything further i will post a message.

Regards,

Keith

PS, as I recall the dealership had finally covered the cost of this repair as I had spent over $2100 on a series of "modules" and switches. I was so happy that it was finally fixed that when I picked up the Jeep I dont think I did what I should have done and asked for all copies of paperwork.

• joe3djoe3d Member Posts: 21
    Hello, One of the vent knobs stopped illuminating. I have a 2005 Jeep GC and just below the radio are 3 knobs for Fan, Temperature and Vent direction. The first two still have a light around them but the third doesn't anymore. Is this something, as a novice, can fix myself or should I have the mechanic look at it? What is entailed? Thank You for your help, Joe D
  • jeepgirl52jeepgirl52 Member Posts: 6
    I had a similar issue. The knobs that control the air and heater went dim. The dealership replaced that entire console. It was expensive. I know this is something I could not have handled on my own.
    I have a 2000 GCL that starts then stalls in 3 to 4 seconds. Changed battery, changed ignition switch, cleaned terminals at all plugs, added a extra ground from chassis to head.
    What else should i try ? crank positioning sensor or disconnect alarm sys.?
    Thanks Brian
  • dougs63dougs63 Member Posts: 1
    I jnow it's been a couple years but did you resolve the electrical problem with your jeep where the controls on the drivers door for the windows, locks and side mirrors weren't working?
    I was able to figure out the problem. There was a wire in the driver side door harness behind the fire wall as well (??) that had broke, due to wear and tear (says the Dealership). The manufactuer didn't help pay to fix it. I don't see how it was wear and tear, but it cost me about $300 to fix it, nothing major, but a pain in the you know what.
    The shop had to sauder (spelling) the wire back together, instead of replacing the entire wire harness (which would have cost about $2K). Hopefully no more issues with it!
  • assman2assman2 Member Posts: 4
    I own a WJ 2001 grand jeep cherokee,4.7L The problum that i got is the heater, and the heating seats, will not turn off when the key is in the off position and removed, you can turn them off manually, and after a few days the battery is dead, i have done some research on this from other Forums, they say that the Ignition Switch is at falt, and to cheak the blower motor, resistor,and wires. At the present time i am using the vehicle storeage information.Disconnect the IOD connector you open your hood and pull fuse at slot-15 and put in slot-11, until you find out where the problum is. When you fix the problum put this fuse back in slot-15. It turns off some of the power inside the vehicle, 1-radio 2-heater 3-heating seats,and other things. vehicle is ok to drive in the right weather, check all lights before moving. Do anybody have a problum like this.
  • gaj2888gaj2888 Member Posts: 5
    Yes. The problem was a broken wire on the drivers side door. You need to open the conduit and check all the wires within this harness. Once you see where the harness is located, it will be easy to find. Look for a break, crack or kink.
    Thank you Dougs63, I will try that. But i will have to wait,were in the middle of a big snowstorm. :)
    Ya your right, it was the starter. i have a new problem now, heater and heated seats will not turn off, when the key is in the off position, i removed fuse in slot# 15 turns off some power to the inside of the truck, everyelse works fine, we will replace the fuse when i fine the problem. Big Thanks.
  • vickyslaredovickyslaredo Member Posts: 2
    Help! After getting me safely through last week's snow storm, I've had to take my 06 JGC to the dealer. During the storm I got stuck in traffic and kept turning the ignition on and off to save gas. The snow feel so fast and thick that my driver's side wiper broke down. I had to keep opening the window to clear the glass so I could see where I was going. 2 days later, the car wouldn't start (it wouldn't unlock remotely). I got jumped by my neighbor, thinking it was the battery, and the truck drove fine. But after sitting a while, I got another week start.

I know I'll have to pay for the linkage system for the wipers, but: do I REALLY have to pay $560 to repair the Ignition Switch and SKIM Module? I won't eat for a couple of months at this rate. Is there some other (cheaper) explanation for the start up problems?
  • jeepers88jeepers88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am about to buy a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo. The price is $2800 and has 76k miles. Good buy? I think so. The down side is fender and bumper need to be replaced as well as valve cover gasket ( no biggy). My only dillema is of course the electrical problems. I already own a 98 gcl and have small electrical problems but nothing major. This new one though have severe problems. The right blinker does not work, passenger side locks and windows, and the cluster does not light up. Obviously from the fender and bumper show an accident (passenger side) I've heard that you cannot replace the cluster without dealer? Is this true? Also the problems seem scattered so I am lost as far as where to look. I would like to know of any test I can do to single out some possibilities.. any ideaS?
    Hay jeepers88. do yourself a favour, buy a ford, I had enough of the jeeps and puting money into them.$$$$$$$$$$ :lemon:
  • thasaintthasaint Member Posts: 1
    Are you still problem free? I've been having this problem all winter and have been considering dumping the car but might give your fix a shot first. I'd hate to get rid of this car because I was quite happy with it until this problem started. 2k6 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 70k miles, I've owned it problem free since 2009.
  • vickyslaredovickyslaredo Member Posts: 2
    I fixed it and I remain problem free. I got a new ignition switch. They recommended a new SKIM module, but I've been doing fine w/o it...plus, I'm broke.

I also blew out my wiper blade linkage system during that storm, so I'm trying to dance around that repair as long as I can on my little salary.

I'd still never get rid of this Jeep...I traded my last one (rusted out 99 Cherokee) for a TransAm and couldn't put up w/that beast more than 5 months. It's Jeep or bust for me!
  • jahsun7jahsun7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 grand cherokee special edition. My door locks and power mirrors have mysteriously stopped working. alarm fob locks and unlocks all doors except the drivers. also when the lights are in the auto position all of the LED lights in the car are practically not on. Anybody experience this problem before?
    YES - I have a 2006 and had the same issue...There is a wire in the harness in the door jam that broke, it's behind the firewall and needs to be sautered together...it will cost a fortune to replace the entire electrical harness. This repair cost me under $300 to fix it and everything works fine. I had the same exact issue. Don't bother with taking it to the dealership to determine if it is wear and tear and if the manufacturer will fix it, because they won't, I tried and wasted $120 on diagnostics fees!
  • jerry50jerry50 Member Posts: 6
    04 Grand Cherokee Window/mirror switch, also known as Driver door module, part 5JM60DX9AB, problem. If you need to replace this oem part, beware that there is a bad batch of these units. Had new one installed at dealer and it went bad after few days, outside mirrors would not move, windows all worked. Back to dealer March 10, 2011 who put new OEM unit in, off his shelf and it did not work. Dealer tech then tried an older test unit on hand and outside mirrors worked along with all windows, so no wire issues.
    Wanted to let all those who have to deal with this common component problem of this replacement part issue.
  • macsrule43macsrule43 Member Posts: 2
    This happens when you least expect it, the problem I am having is that while either driving (slow/fast/freeway) any speed or idling, the voltage meter goes up. And (while at night) brightens the lights, the radio shuts off, and the VIC resets, the check engine light comes on and as well as the ABS light. This happens intermittently throughout while i am driving. It sometimes happens when its cold and sometimes when its warmed up/hot. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all. I have taken it to my mechanic who came up with fault codes for the Alt, replaced that, and it still happens. I have taken it to an electrical shop, they couldnt find anything about it, although it did happen for them but wasnt long enough for them to put their finger on it. They mentioned that the PCM might be the culprit. I found the computer at a salvage yard for $150, but not sure if that is what needs replacement. Another electrical shop said that they can do a bypass, and he didnt know how much it would be. Please help point me in the right direction. :mad: :confuse: :sick: