Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM supplier/employee discount

dvcdondvcdon Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Hi folks. Looking to trade the Hummer H3 in on a Chevy Tahoe Hybird and was wondering if anyone had one of those certificate numbers for the discount. Sure would help when it comes time to talk money. Looked at 3 of them at 2 different dealers today (closed Sunday so I could just scope them out). With this maybe being the last year for the tax write off threw our business I'd like to do it this year. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    these "certificate numbers" are worthless in my book. It's just an effort to make employees and their "family members" which can include just about anyone, feel special. I promise you can do just as good or better on your own if you know a little about negotiation. If you don't feel confident in negotiating, then try a car broker or Costco.

If the Tahoe Hybrid is in short supply, you won't be able to negotiate much and the certificate numbers usually don't apply to any vehicle in short supply.

My father worked for GM for over 30 years - when I brought in the certificate number and asked for the price, everyone was really nice, but the price was nothing special unless you're used to paying MSRP :surprise: .

Oh and the H3 your looking to trade? Be prepared to take a huge hit in depreciation if you expect Chevy to buy it back from you.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    My father worked for GM for over 30 years - when I brought in the certificate number and asked for the price, everyone was really nice, but the price was nothing special unless you're used to paying MSRP

I worked with a guy that always flies back to Michigan and buys a new GMC using his brother's family discount. In 2005 he went back and bought a new Denali. When he got home to CA the local dealers were offering them for $1500 less than what he paid in Michigan. He was fit to be tied and the MI dealer would not match that deal.
    Ha! thanks for confirming my point.

Since you have to jump through a couple of internet hoops to get the "certificate number" people are led to believe they have some kind of golden ticket. It can be quite blinding :shades:
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a post from someone at GM to refute my claim that the "family" pricing program is worthless.

It caters to the crowd who wouldn't want to question a price they/re given because next to MSRP it seems like a deal. It caters to the crowd who think that because they have a "connection" in the car industry, they can beat the system.

My dad couldn't understand why I wouldn't take advantage of his family pricing structure. He worked there for over 30 years and had a hard time believing that I could do better on my own. But then again, he didn't have access to the internet or Edmunds to educate himself (he was old school)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    he didn't have access to the internet or Edmunds to educate himself (he was old school)

The Internet is a wonderful tool for research. I think the GM destroyed that family program in 2005 when they offered it to everyone. It got rid of a lot of inventory. It probably turned off many employees.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who purchased a car from 2004-2006 because of the incentives manufacturers were offering, such as employee pricing. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information.
    I wonder how Toyota and Honda dish out employee discounts for vehicles?

Do they treat their own employee discounts as empty handed as GM does to it's employees and "family".
  • spirit6100spirit6100 Member Posts: 39
    i will give u a discount - contact me daveswildworldwy@aol.com
    if anybody else wants one, let me know, i think i can..,
    1st come 1st serve, any other dealer rebates are included with your purchase ;)
  • spirit6100spirit6100 Member Posts: 39
    one of those certificate numbers for the discount, yes
  • dvcdondvcdon Member Posts: 7
    Thanks guys, but after a slew of recent problems with the H3 and the wifes Cadillac SRX, we've decided to walk away from GM. Thanks again for the offers though.
This discussion has been closed.