Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Infiniti M35/M45

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The prius was tempting... Volvo, Saab, Audi, Avalon were all eliminated due to either dullness of lack of excitement...

:surprise:
    Wow! A Prius was more exciting than those others???
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    At least a prius is a statement....and 40 miles per gallon is tempting these days in a pretty spacious car.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Isn't it more of a city or suburban car? I met some business contacts who drove a Prius 100 miles to a meeting. They were 20 something engineers. They were very unhappy with it's highway ride and handling. Caveat emptor.

If mileage is an issue checkout some turbo diesels. I rented a Passat for a week in Europe about 7 years ago. Fuel was $4.50 a gallon then. I loved it. Superb ride & handling. I did not measure the mileage but I am sure it exceeds a similar size hybrid on the highway. You could lead foot it and still get great mileage. Hybrids get great mileage downhill or in congestion and when ideling (they turn off). Once the gas engine kicks in you are a loser. What happens when the batteries die? Who pays?
  • pat2717pat2717 Member Posts: 14
    I do 80% of my driving on the highway and I've probably averaged 16-19. One very important caveat, however, is that I recently discovered that my air filter had never been changed. I suppose it was an oversight by the dealer, but I was preparing for a 700 mile road trip last week and I got my oil changed. They pulled the air filter out and it was so caked with grime that I'm a little surprised the thing would run. They didn't have the right filter at the oil change place so I scrambled and got one on the morning of my trip. I averaged 23mpg on the trip, driving on winding mountain highways in New Mexico and Colorado. I was very pleased and I guess that a lot of my mileage issues were related to poor air flow. Maybe I'll stick with the 45 after all:)
    That's good to know about the tires. I was pretty surprised to be replacing my tires at about 15k. They were the Goodyears.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I've been through some pretty nasty dust storms in NM and west Texas...you might need a new air filter in a few thousand miles rather than the 30K in a 'normal' place. Change the pollen filter, too so you get the proper air flow into the cabin as well.
    I would have taken the filter back the dealer that serviced the car and had a few words....which included "I'll be posting my experience servicing my car with your dealership on the internet". Clearly your dealer was focused on getting just as many cars thru on an oil change as they could without doing the checks that you are paying for if you go to the dealer.

Of course, this is really weird because most dealers will take any air filter that has even the slightest amount of dirt on it and show you that you "must replace the air filter" because it's a high profit item. Something isn't ringing true here....

I guess I would ask the servicing dealer to explain how this could happen.....
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Consumer Reports just did a study on clean vs dirty air filters. They found that dirty filters had a negligible affect on gas mileage.
    If the air intake is restricted enough, the computer just keeps adjusting the mixture and the power drops, but you shouldn't hurt the car much...when it does that, you often don't get the performance you should, though.
  • walt18walt18 Member Posts: 54
    How much do you pay for those filters? Also if I added a aftermarket air intake to my M45 would that help improve gas mileage or hurt it being that it will add a little more HP?
    In my experiencee, you will notice absolutely no driving or economy difference between the OEM stock air filter and an aftermarket one.
  • arnold14arnold14 Member Posts: 22
    I got a air filter from Carquest for $12 and put it in myself, anyone could do it, you don't need the dealer.
    The filter was $14 and it took me about 3 minutes to put in. I haven't read that consumer report, but I think if they used my old filter, they would notice a difference. There is no question whatsoever that I got more power after changing it. I haven't checked my mileage since I got back from the road trip. I drive the same route virtually every day so I'll take a look and see if it's any different.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    To be more specific, Consumer Reports said that the dirty filter did affect acceleration, but not fuel economy.
    The computer will keep the mixture right, but will only therefore inject enough gas to match the amount of air available (the air mass flow sensor does the measurement). So, with a clogged air filter, you'll not get the same power since no matter where you have the throttle, the computer is in between actually controlling things. On an older car, say with carburators, you'd risk burning up the engine.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Awesome....Infiniti is finally listening to M35 owners by changing the transmission gearing in the M35 to improve MPG. I'll be very curious to see how much this will change their MPG numbers.
    When did you hear about the gear changing? Is it going to be a 7 speed transmission now or same 5 speed?
    The 2009 M35 will have the 7 speed. It will help just a little but only on highways. Almost no difference in city driving. Compare the new FX35 to the old one.....not much difference. Darn....
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Where was this announced? Does the M35X get the 7-speed? Even a slight improvement would be welcome.
    As far as I know, it hasn't been announced but the dealers seem to know about it.

Another change is that the doors will automatically lock when you move (perhaps this is an option that you can switch on/off).
    I''ve heard this from two sources. One was the Infinity dealer. Then, Motor Trend September issue on 2009 new cars indicates the transmission is new as well as the engine. The VQ35HR V6 is the new engine which increases horsepower from 276 to 310. Its the same engine as in the G35 (which actually also gets a newer engine and is called G37).
    So will the M45 get a new engine to or will it keep the same 325HP one. I wish they would go ahead and put the 390HP one in it.
    I believe the M45 engine has not been changed in 2009. Oh well, maybe in 2010!
    I just finished reading the motor trend magazine for september and the article states that the M35 will get the new motor that is in the G35 which produces about 310 HP and the 7A speed automatic transmission. The M35x will change engines as well but will keep its 5 speed trans. :confuse: The M45/M45X will not have any changes at all this really sucks. :mad:
  • acacetusacacetus Member Posts: 2
    An M35 equipped with the 310 hp engine and the 7AT would be just as fast as the current M45 (5AT), while also becoming markedly more economical to boot.

Why continue with the production of the latter at all? Or am I missing something here?
    I would hate to see them get rid of the m45 all because, some of us still love V-8's and a V-6 is really cheesy in some peoples point of view. I would totally turn to another company if they were to get rid of the V-8 M45. I mean gas is high but there are some of us out here that are still willing to pay that extra few cents to have our muscle power and luxury all in one.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Not to be picky, but those of us who drive these things ought to come to grips with the fact that the brand is Infiniti, not Infinity. :) Also, just because Motor Trend didn't list any changes to the M45 doesn't mean that the 7 speed may not end up there too.
    Yes you have a point there. I wish they would put the 7 speed in it. Would seem very weird to only put it in the M35 RWD and not the M45 RWD also.
    Anybody have an idea on when 2009 M35's will hit the showroom floor? My local dealer has no clue.
    Someone from Infiniti consumer affairs told me that they should be on the lots in late october or early november because they maybe doing some changes to the car being that it is coming out later than what it did last year.
    I just finish reading about the new 2009 infiniti G37, and it is going to be faster than the M45 if they don't add some more HP. The 09 G will have a 3.7L 328HP engine with a 7 Speed auto with sport mode. Now if the M45 stays the same it will only put out the same 325HP and 5 speed auto, which is only a 3HP difference but would make the G the top dog because of weight purposes, and it would kill the M45 in a 1/4 mile run and maybe top speed too.
    The 335i sedan is probably just as quick as the 550i, or quicker, 0-60. But a V8 is a V8. I like the 335i sedan a lot, but I like a V8 more.
    Yeah I love a V-8 too, a V-6 just won't cut it for me.
    Same here. I really, really wanted a 335i sedan, but I'm so easily seduced by the snarl of a V8. Almost any V8. Ooooh, the noises the 4.1L VW V8 makes! :blush:
    I hear ya! Bu that M45 4.5L is a killer sound to which I can't resist. :)
    Yeah, that one definitely sounds good, too. My 550i Sport doesn't sound as agressive as I'd like, but it's still better than a 6 cylinder. ;)
    Is it fast? My cousin has a 95 M3 which is pretty fast.
    Yup, it's fast. ;)
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know of any engine upgrades to the 2009 M35X.
    The major change for 2009 Infiniti M comes for the M35 and M35x with the replacement of the previous 275-hp V6 with the 303-hp 3.5-liter V6 that was introduced in the second-generation G35 sedan. A new seven-speed automatic transmission and Drive Sport mode is available, along with auto speed-sensing door locks and Scratch Shield paint (self-healing clearcoat paint finish).
    The M35x keeps the five speed automatic transmission and the M35 gets the new seven speed transmission. There are no changes for the M45 and M45x for 2009.
    will the new 303 hp engine in the M35X be mated to the same 5 speed transmission with same gear ratios. In other words will the car rev just as high at say 70 MPH as does the current 2008 model. High revs in top gear is the only problem I have with this car.
    Good question, I don't think they changed the gearing. More than likely they just changed the heads, cam, etc. on the car and air flow to make it faster but I doubt they touched the gears. I wish they were made like the camaro's and trans am from 86-89 with TPI throttle body. I could set my transmission gear for higher revs at 70 MPH or lower revs. Does anyone have a M35/M45 with the premium package with the recline rear seats, if so how are they and are they worth the money. I was watching this thing on youtube.com about the 2009 infiniti model lineup if you can go and watch it. You will find out everything you want to know about all there cars. If that FX50 wasn't so john brown ugly I would buy it, I was watching some video's on youtube where this guy was showing everyone how fast it can move and man!!! She will haul tail.
    Unless you are buying a collector car, you really get nothing back for "extra" accessories. Most infiniti used car buyers want the typical packages (nav and maybe some care about the adv tech package)....I doubt that you will ever find any buyer who cares or is willing to pay more for the premium package. If you trade the car in, the premium package won't make a bit of difference on what the dealer gives you.
    Ok, I was wondering because I have only seen one M with the premium package and the recline rear seats. I wanted to buy one like that to get rear air cond. for my daughter. I have 3 ruptured disc and being that I travel a lot for church ministry sometimes I may want to sit in the back and watch a movie and kick back in the seat and let my wife or mother drive when we all ride together.
  • bob238bob238 Member Posts: 1
    what is the function of the monitor (looks like a camera) located on the inside front windshield.
  • palincalpalincal Member Posts: 4
    It is for lane departure warning.
  • veragenveragen Member Posts: 34
    Any1 know when the 2009 Infiniti M's arrive to the dealership - showrooms? Were there any add-ons or take-offs for 2009 model? And have anyone receive great mark-off price from 2009 or year-end 2008 clearence model?

Thx.
    VeraGen
    They come out 2 days before christmas or 2 days after. I went to the infiniti 2009 infiniti model lineup on youtube and they were talking about them then. The only difference is that they add a scratch protective coat to the paint that makes it heal itself at a certain temperature. They also added the automatic door locking system to lock the doors when you take off driving. They didn't change nothing on the M35x/M45/M45x as far as motor or transmission go. The M35 got the new motor and 7 speed transmission. All the other options stay the same like tech and advan tech, and premium package. The price went up on the M's about 2k from start MSRP of 43K for M35 base to 45K and 47k for the M35x. M45 to 52k for base to 54K for M45X. Hope this helps you.
    I believe both the M35 and M35X got the new engine (303 HP), but only the M35 got the 7 speed transmission.