Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Coupe Wheel Vibration

palmcoastg35palmcoastg35 Member Posts: 15
edited January 2018 in Honda
With only 1K miles on my new 2008 Honda Coupe 6-cyl with Nav, I am experiencing "Wheel Vibration." It is mostly coming from the rear when I reach speeds of 60 - 65 mph. I also get it slightly in the front.

Has anyone experienced this also? I have heard that with the weights on the inside of the wheel sometimes the wheel goes out of balance, but i only have 1,000 miles so far.

I have an appt. next week, but wanted to get some insight before going to the dealer.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    First have the tires re balanced it will show if a weight fell off, then rotate the tires front to back oand so on. If there is a problem it will show up in the front if so even with the tires balanced the belt in the tire proably shifted get a new tire.
  • palmcoastg35palmcoastg35 Member Posts: 15
    I will let you know after I have it serviced on Friday, May 9th. Thanks for the advice!
    The wheel vibration was the result of all ( 4 ) wheels being out of balance. They also found that there was an issue that Honda is investigating about the front suspension having a variance of 10%. I am not sure what that really means, but they said Honda has received many calls about this and they are investigating.

Would you know what they mean by " variance of 10% "
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    I would be interested in what this is all about.. while I have the sedan V6 , i have the same issues related to vibration at these speeds and have had tires repeatedly balanced and replaced and still feel the same rear to front vibration you describe... somethings up here.....
    Here is what was written on the work sheet they gave me:

CAUSE: Discovered all four wheels out of balance. Peformed 4 wheel balance and road force variance test, All tires have over 10 lb of road force, Honday is investigating this concern.

The service manager ( 17 yrs with Honda ) is a close friend of the family and she said that it could be related to the Suspension, Wheels and/or the Tires. My son is a Master Tech and has speculated that the suspension might be the concern. Honda is currently looking into this with their engineers.

Question Golfrski: Since you replaced the tires already, my only thought would be the wheels should be replaced next, did the dealer offer to do that?

I wonder how many other buyers have this problem? Maybe we could put some kind of feeler out to the car community ...... ;)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Palm,

I'm glad it worked out for you, that's interesting what you have uncovered, I have the LXP 4cyl 16" rims, maybe it has to do with the coupe and the 17" rims or sup. me us updated and thanks again.
  • helirollerheliroller Member Posts: 1
    Don't feel too bad, since January, I've had a rear strut replaced, 2 front drive axles replaced, shaved the front rotors and 5 sets of tires (including 2 wheel sets replaced) trying to fix a shake in the front that is detectable through the steering column at speed of 60-80mph. Nope, it is not a balance issue. It is in fact under investigation, and no, they don't know what the heck it is. I'm finished with the car! I've been driving and working on cars for the past 35 years and Honda engineers have screwed up on this one. And this is not the only car that does this. I drove another new one that does the same dang thing. I don't really think it matters whether it is the coupe or sedan as the drive train is the same. I personally think it is in the tranny or front struts. I'd be willing to bet that most 08 Accord owners could put their cruise to 65mph on a smooth road surface, and just drive it on a short road trip, they would feel the same thing. Most people don't notice it, but it is a major problem for Honda..Mine just happen to get real bad before the last tire replacement which they used a different brand touting that the Michelin's were the problem.. That ain't the problemo! Since I hit the open road a lot, this is a major sore spot for me!
  • nednj36nednj36 Member Posts: 9
    I have the vibration also. Any news from Honda regarding the problem?
    All,

move over the the VCM forum.. you will never get this fixed sorry to say.. its not tires, wheels or axles.. this is a directly related to the VCM operation.I had 3 sets of tires replaced and motor mounts inspected, test etc and the axle inspected as well as the front and rear ends... in the end, Honda said this is a by product of the VCM operation and there is NO FIX "they say" I was also told this by Honda techs and engineers... sorry i wish it was the tires really I do.
    This just sucks! My blood pressure has just shot up after reading the last post. If Honda cannot satisfy their customers, then we should begin a class action suit against Honda. :lemon:

I hate driving the car knowing that this problem will never go away.

:mad:
    Listen, exhaust your efforst with your service department and call Honda of America and open a "case" they will at least document your concerns and try to gain their help.
    Thanks Golfrski...I appreciate your advice.
    if you do in fact have the dreaded wheel shimmy/ steering wheel vibration between 50-70 mph, do you notice it varying day to day? Such as hot/cold related, some days worse than others, some days barely noticable or different speed ranges?
    could be an issue similar to the 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima. "Excessive Slide Force" in the steering rack/undersized steering rack for the 18" wheels on the SE models. My friend had the problem and said that they installed a larger, sturdier rack for the '07/'08 models. You think Nissan would step up and replace the racks for the '04-'06 customers, but with competition & profit margins shrinking, auto makers are only oiling the squeaky wheels these days. Make sure your squeak is high pitched!
    It is very noticeable at speeds from 60 - 70 mph. I reside in Florida and temperature is usually very hot. It does not happen under the above mentioned speeds. The dealers rotated the tires, did a wheel balance and said Honda was aware of this problem. With only 2500 miles on the Accord Coupe, things like this should not occur. I am very disgusted about the whole situation.
    I agree. totally unacceptable. I cannot imagine staying in this lease for 35 more months with this condition.
    I am too Palm. its very disturbing and in my case nothing honda will me so far.. keep taking it back under warranty is my only advice until they either fix it our find a suitable solution. big drag I know.. I am sick about ours, just sick about it. you will find solice at some level int he VCM forum I think... they are related Honda told me.
    it must have something to do with VCM-light alloys-poor OEM tires-poor steering rack-bad brake rotors. My shimmy is barely evident some days and horrible other days. Always varying speed ranges depending on ambient temps.

I would guess that certain Accord VCM's kick in prematurely or tardilly and aggrevate the harmonics of the wheel/tire revolution. steering rack, drive axles, rotors, or a combination of these. Interesting finding the other day;

I drove about 100 feet with the emergency brake fully engaged, then road another 100 feet with one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator (figured I would true the rotors a little) then de-activated the VSA. It eliminated shimmy for a few miles, and when the shimmy returned it was below 45 mph which is rare in my case

It could also be that the ECM/VCM needs a software update or a re-flash to it

good luck
    I took delivery in April and have had the wheel shimmy/suspension issue since day one. Four visits to the svc. dept since, and this is what was done:

1. Spin balance-- not corrected
    2. Road force balance on Hunter GS9700 machine-- not corrected
    3. Wheel & tire replacement, Hunter balance and four wheel alignment-- not corrected
    4. Wheel & tire replacement again, road force balance, tire pressure adjustment to 35psi-- not corrected

The car seems ok (shimmy somewhat noticable, but not horrible) for 1-2 days, then it returns ferociously. I'm at my wits end. A case was opened with Honda Motor Corp. between visits 3 & 4. They are slow in responding and basically treating the issue casually. The dealer had implied that they would get me out of the V-6 and into the 4 cyl. with the same payment. Later on after conferring with other staff, they offered me the 4 cyl. at a lease payment of $160/mo. more than I pay now (flat out insult!)

I'm on the cusp of Lemon Law. Has anyone pursued this? Has anyone gotten their shimmy corrected? If so, what was the fix?
    any correction or resolve with Honda Corp. or dealer? Is the car better, worse, or the same? What operations have they attempted so far?
    Call the BBB AUTO LINE and file a complaint. be prepared to demonstrate more than 3 attempts to repair the vibration ... I am going to save you months of heart ache here......... save the stress and call them for advice and assistance. The vibration will NOT go away no matter how many tires you swap (in my personal opinion) be there done that.
    If you don't mind what state do you live in? I live in Florida and this started the day I picked up the the car and Honda has tried to fix the problem. I have to agree with you about it happening on some days and better on others.

I still get the shimmy and vibration in the rear but the dealer has been working to try and fix the problems. What can we do?

I would be curious to find out just how many people are experiencing this throughout the country?

Thanks - PalmCoastG35 :lemon:
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    They mean the difference front alignment to rear alignment was 10 percent.
    I get a 4 wheel alignment initially and then front thereafter.
    Every 12k to preserve handling, ride, tire wear.
    Will do another 4 wheel at higher mileage, about 75k.
    I found something very interesting last evening....

I had 4 occupants in the car and the wheel vibration was not even noticeable. I traveled on the same road as I usually do, testing at speeds of 60; 65; 70; 75 and 80 mph. Also, the road noise was not as prevalent as it is when I am alone in the vehicle.

It makes me believe that the suspension/tires on the roadway might really be the main cause. When I drive by myself, the vibration is much more noticeable. I am planning to call the dealer on Monday to let him know of these. .... :confuse:
  • efferseffers Member Posts: 25
    Is this problem only on automatic or does it plague the manual transmission coupes?
    I own a automatic - :lemon: I would expect more from a HONDA !
    THIS IS A MAJOR ISSUE FOLKS SEDAN & COUPES (IT SEEMS)
    So what is Honda doing about it? These vehicles are certainly not fun to drive anymore and not sure what I am going to do about it! :sick:
  • ciaovalciaoval Member Posts: 4
    Oh sadness! I just took my car into the dealer, had the tires balanced and was told everything was, "within the norm." After test driving and returning to the dealer, I was told the problem was, "the highway design and construction in CA." Not being satisfied with that answer(!), I'm meeting the district mgr. of the dealership this morning to try to get some help. Just now, I found this forum. How depressing. I loved my car before but suddenly realize the honeymoon is over. I'll call BBB, as suggested and write to Honda of America. :cry: Has anyone had success with new tires? Thanks.
    Here is what I did....I bugged them until they removed the tires from the rim. I had them balance the rims first, then put the tires back on and had them balance the tire again. I had them spin the tires up to 90 mph on the balancer. I had them rotate the tires. I had a 4 wheel alignment and finally put NITROGEN in all 4 tires. It resolved most of the problem with only a slight variance of a vibration. I too love this car and will continue to drive it. Honda is tight lipped about solving the problem entirely. I think they realize by making a change of the vehicle they messed up. We will have to wait and see what the end result is! Stay sane and keep on the Dealerships [non-permissible content removed].....! Do not give up....everytime you bring it in, have them do a road variance to make sure they can get the numbers down.... :cry:
    Thank you very much. I'll give your advice a try. Unfortunately, the service dept. set up a meeting for me this morning with a Honda of Am. district person, not someone higher up in the dealership. The Honda of America person wanted to do a test drive with me and someone else from the dealership (startted out to be three people from the dealership), "for legal reasons to protect me. Not that you would do anything." (I'm a retired lady about the same size as the district person and not any where close to the intimidating sort.) When I said that sounded strange to me, she replied it was also so she would have someone else to hear our conversation- in other words a witness. How did this get so complicated so quickly? I responded by saying I'd come back when I had someone to be my witness. Of course, four people in the car will be a different kind of ride, so I'll have to think about the logistics. Somewhere along the line a more appropriate next step was missed...
    Let me tell you that when I had 4 people in the car before all my work was done the car ran differently also and did not have the vibration to bad. What you need to do is tell them to stop this BS and get down to the problem and fix the car.

I have to tell you about an owner in New York who had a problem with his car so he decided to take action. He parked his "Lemon" on the main street in front the dealership (legally) and he strung LEMONS (fruit kind) from front of the car to the rear on both sides of the vehicle. He then hung signs on the vehicle inside the car stating that this vehicle was a lemon and the dealership would not address his problem.

Since the vehicle was parked in a legal spot, he moved it back and forth to prevent the dealership from saying it was abandoned. I was a police officer at the time and was called to this dealership and asked to have the owner remove the vehicle. After speaking with the owner, I offered to help him. So I went inside the dealership and told them we cannot do anything and if they did not help this guy, his friends were all coming down to park their cars (same models) in the front with lemons also.

You have to see how quick the dealership offered the owner a new car ! Typical street justice with a twist! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Love it!!! Absolutely shows the little guy can win...with some help from a good guy.
    I only wish you lived near me! Tell me, did you keep your car in the end? Or, are you still driving it? I bought mine in March and only have 5900 miles on it. I'm mulling over all the options. :confuse:
  • Ced05HondaCpeCed05HondaCpe Member Posts: 1
    Man, I can't believe this. I've been having problems the last couple years. Everytime I think I have it fixed, it starts happening again. I put rims and low profile tires on my car at first. They wore out in three months. I took the rims off and put factory tires and rims back on. Drove fine for a year. Then my front tires wore out. Well it happened again this year. I just bought new tires but it's vibrating worst now. I got an alignment this morning and its still doing it. So, I put in a search and found this website. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one and it's not something I did. For the longest I thought it was the rims. Help!!!!!!
    I have given up on this car. I just keep it cleaned and buffed and will sell it when the new 2010's are out. I put 15K down on this piece of !@#$ I will never recommend this car to anyone.

I have numerous arguments with my wife about how Honda Coupe 2008 is not an enjoyable car to drive. That "ECO" sucks since I am getting the same mileage I got from my Infiniti 2003 G35 Coupe. I have decided to wait until the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe comes out and test drive that one. Beside it has more horsepower 310hp with premium and it looks sharp. Here is a reprint from Popular Mechanics News.....go here and check out the photos

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4255139.html

NEW YORK — Imagine, if you will, a rear-drive sporty coupe powered by a 212-hp (223 hp on premium fuel) turbocharged 2.0-liter four-banger with 217 lb.-ft. of torque. Sounds like great fun. But then you realize it's a Hyundai.

What's this? Hyundai is not exactly known for building fun-to-drive rides. And then you find that there's a 306-hp (310 on premium) 3.8-liter V6 with 263 lb.-ft. of torque to be had as well. Suddenly the Korean manufacturer has caught up with the performance technology—and personal tastes—of the car-buying public.
  • fhughfhugh Member Posts: 8
    My accord has been vibrating at high speed. Took it back to the dealer and was told that is the way it is. :mad: . They can not fix it. :lemon: They had engineers from Honda not being able to fix it.I don't believe honda make lemons like that. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    Check out the Consumer Reports website. Owners with the vibration problem have begun to win in arbitration. To file, you must follow the process outlined in the warranty booklet provided by Honda.
    Thank you very much. Good to know that something positive is beginning to take place.
  • jeffulotjeffulot Member Posts: 2
    I'm reading this and many sites that have discussions about this problem.

I think Honda service places are instructed to pretend they don't feel it when test driving with you in the car. I think they are getting a lot of people coming in to complain about the same problem and are affraid to own up to it.

We drove back from DC to Richmond one night, and the vibration kicked in full force... My wife got a migraine (probably from the vibration she was noticing for 4 hours) and threw up, while at the same time my feet and calves were numb from the constant vibration.

Every time I bring it in to the dealership to be serviced, they don't feel it... They tell me it's road bumps.

I can still detect the road bumps... they are separate... There is an underlying frequency of vibration that is there no matter what the road condition is, and it varies in intensity depending on the speeds.

Someone has even mentioned the lawsuits going on about it, and I'd love for someone to post more information about that so we can all get on board.

I replaced the factory tires (michelin Pilot mxm4's)... They were crap, and rated at the bottom of the list in reviews and test results.

I put on awesome tires (bridgestone taranza serenity's). Great tires, reduces the road bumps, quieter ride, but DOES NOT reduce the existing vibration at all. Not one bit.

I've had these tires and rims tested extensively, and they check out fine while not on the car.

So what are we left with?

Axles, CV-joints, transmission... What else?

I'm calling Honda America and going to fax them all of my printouts of all the people complaining of the same problems... I'm going to ask that they provide a loaner until this issue is resolved with my car.

I will post my findings.

If anyone else has information on this, 2008 and 2009's please post it.

SJ
  • dignumdignum Member Posts: 1
    This has been plagueing me as well! driving me nutzo!!!!!

Please let me know what you find out!!!!

If anyone else has gone the BBB route, please tell me what the results were.

I've spent a lot of time and money trying to resolve this!

Thanks!

Dignum
  • jeffulotjeffulot Member Posts: 2
    Ok, here are my findings... and here is my advice:

The problem has been determined to be the VCM (variable cylinder management). It's affecting LOTS of people to various extents (like from subtle to rediculous).

The VCM is causing the vibration. A poor design and malfunctioning of it rear mount hydraulic comensator. This crazy little thing is supposed to counteract the vibrations by adjusting it's angle... In some vehicles it's misfiring and doing a bad job. I'd say, design flaw.

Here's the thing.... Honda admits that it's vibrating, but says that it's normal for it to bump when changing from 6 to 4 to 3 cylinders and back.

What they will not admit is that the pulsing and vibrations never stop in some cases... ever...

Here's what I suggest:

Contacting the American Honda Motor Co. directly is futile... They'll run you ragged and then just tell you they cannot help you.

Your vehicle should be "bought back" from Honda.

Contact the BBB, Better Business Bureau auto complaints dept at 800-955-5100.

Be prepared to provide them at least 3 service reports that are identifying the problem. Get started now. Tell the service departments that your VCM is malfunctioning and causing a steady constant vibration, and that you'd like it fixed. They won't be able to fix it. There is no fix. They will tell you it's normal.

They'll contact Honda and establish a case for you. Honda will start to respond.

I hope this helps.
  • v8growlv8growl Member Posts: 8
    I know there can be a few reasons for this problem. I have read some folks on here talking about some really major components that were changed to no avail.
    Well, my problem was fixed by discovering one of the front brake rotors was out of balance. A service tech. must know how to check the balance on the balancer.
    My rotor was replaced with a new one, but, not before my tech. checked the balance of the new one to make sure it was good. He also used the Hunter GSP road force balancer and made sure all was right with the wheels/tires and their balance, etc.
    My problem has been cured. The regional service mgr. had mentioned to do this since he had run across a rotor being out of balance. Could be more out there.
    I have owned many Hondas and many cars overall. The starting point for steering wheel shimmy should be the checking for proper balance of the rotors and then using the Hunter balancer with the high tech road force programs, etc. THEN if that checks out good, and you still have a problem, it is time to look at some other issues. But, start with what the most obvious cause could be....and if the proper testing equipment is used, AND used by a well trained technician then either your problem will be found or you'll know to now move on to the next most obvious problem that could cause steering wheel shimmy.
    Good luck.
  • dinofldinofl Member Posts: 53
    Hello,
    I just leased a 2010 Accord Coupe V6 EXL automatic. I immediately noticed strange vibration, surging, pausing, lurching sensation especially driving at highway speeds. I brought it in and they did a tire rotation and wheel balance. Dealer told me to drive the car for 500 miles because when the car sits on the lot the rubber needs to get "worn in". I bever heard of this before. The problem has not gone away. I thought the vibration might be due to a more sport suspsention, but I am convinced its not that and may be due to the dreaded VCM vibration problems documented here, I have tried driving the car on very smooth stretches of road. Example driving at a steady 65-70 mph the car will kind of buck, lurch, surge, cut out sensations. Sometimes it almost feels like riding over train tracks with surges thrown in. This is a three year lease. Do I have to live with this?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. My email is dino13@bellsouth.net. Thank you
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    If you are not getting a shimmy in the steering wheel, or seeing the top of the passenger seat (un-occupied) shake, then it is probably related to the VCM. If you are getting these kinds of vibrations, then wheel balance / flat spotted or out of round tires / out of balance brake rotors (if steering wheel shake). On mine they replaced both front tires, road force balanced all four, and it still has a small shimmy in the steering wheel (they call it normal road vibration..I've only had about eleven new cars to know when I am being given the rote). My dealers have feigned ignorance about checking rotor balance.

They use active engine mounts and noise cancellation via the stereo subwoofer to try and smooth over the odd noise and vibes created during the various cylinder modes. Some people have said that it improved after some miles, possibly due to the engine mounts breaking in.

On the highway, try using the cruise and see if that doesn't seem smoother in regards to the buck/surge/lurch. For mine using the cruise on the highway seems to help a lot. If you are used to a smooth automatic, forget it - my crude astro awd van has a smoother automatic (not ride) on the highway.

If it seems abnormal - try being a customer at another dealer and test drive another V6 or two. Maybe see if some of people in for service have that model and talk with them. You should jump over to the VCM group and read back through the postings, as they all are on the 08 and newer v6 accords with VCM. This now includes the 2010 coupe v6 with automatic - the manual one doesn't have it.

If your state has a period in which you can cancel an agreement, I suggest you look at your options if you can't tolerate the way it acts.
  • accordcoupe08accordcoupe08 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    After test after test after test. I was told my rims were bent on the left side. Should I get a second opinion? (08 Honda Accord Coupe LX)

Also back brakes were at 15% last week. I only have a little over 20 thousand on my car. Now I am trying to get Honda to either pay for the brake job or at least partial.

I had an 03 Accord Coupe and the transmission went out twice in it. The first was after they flushed it. The second time unknown.
    Sounds like they don't want to replace the rims under warranty (claiming pothole damage, etc - no doubt)? If so, it should not be very expensive to pick a shop that specializes in selling/servicing wheels to have them put the suspect wheels on a balancer and check the lateral runout - which is what usually happens from curb hits. Radial run-out (pothole damage or poorly made rim/tire) can be either the tire or rim, or both combined (rotating the tire on the rim can help in that case).

Old article with interesting info (pg 2 talks about runout):
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272406.html?page=1

Having said that, I am assuming alloy wheels (dealers typically charge $400 plus each for OEM rims). Steel wheels used on models with hubcaps are cheap anywhere but at the dealer. This is why people still steal wheels off cars - darn near impossible to find recent alloys at salvage yards.

So if you are on the hook for the repair, maybe someone in your area does this:
    http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/remanufacturing.html

Good luck on the brakes - there is a forum thread here all about the accord rear brakes. But to be fair, my 1990 Dodge Spirit ES with four wheel disc ate up the front ones about every 20-25k. But I also traded a 1993 Accord EX 5sp with original brakes and tires at 53k...
  • accordcoupe08accordcoupe08 Member Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure it is pot hole damage. (this is his GF) When we did curb it we were going like 2 MPH from at a drive thru. We were told to put it on insurance but they said it would be the same as being in an accident. They told us 1200.00 to replace 2 rims. Crazy! I just can't believe how cheaply made the rims are. In the 03 the potholes in WV were even worse and his other car never did this. We are looking for used ones, then probably going to sell it. We do not enjoy driving it anymore. It seems like it is always something. We just hate to lose the extended warranty money put in it.
    Check the extended warranty contract - some can be canceled for a pro-rated refund. Better than nothing, as unless you private sell the car you won't get much consideration it at trade (assuming it's transferable). I haven't bought an extended warranty on a car since I bought my last Dodge product in 1992 (crap then, still crap now, IMO).

For 1200.00, I'd look up the cheapest set of four alloys that look decent and fit from The Tire Rack or similar. But since you want to trade, maybe you can trade it as it is if the damage is not visible and only causes a vibration? If you aren't trading at the same brand dealership (or a chain that includes a Honda dealer), they can't easily check the service records.

The issues with potholes gets more pronounced on cars with lower profile tires, as they don't absorb as much of the impact. The 08 and newer accord sedans have 50 series tires on larger rims, versus the older generations that have 60 series on smaller rims (more tire sidewall).
  • grover12grover12 Member Posts: 1
    With only 200 miles on my 2010 V6 EXL sedan I've been to the dealer three times. The first two times(30 miles apart), the tires were road force balanced, were out of spec and replaced. The second time I picked it up I immediately brought it back and made the service manager drive it with me after he insisted the problem was fixed. They spent the following day swapping tires and after mixing and matching tires from 5 different sets and driving it 75 miles in testing the problem is gone. He acknowledged that they have a lot of problems and complaints with the Accords.