Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Rust Problems

wannamuranowannamurano Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Mazda
We purchased one about 8 months ago, and noticed yesterday when I was hand washing it that there are rust spots all over the car - including the rear bumper that is plastic. My guess is that the metal flake in the paint is causing it to rust. Ive searched the boards, and havent found anything regarding this issue - I thought I would toss it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue? I am livid. 8 months old, and tarnished! I have an appt with the local dealer this evening to see what the next step will be. Any advise would be appreciative. Thanks.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like it could be rail dust.

See Rail Dust at Sherwin-Williams for details.

I never did the acid based remover treatment, but have had good luck with washing with a clay bar.

Check out the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too.
  • wannamuranowannamurano Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Steve. Do you know if the dealer will correct the problem, or if this is something that I will need to do? There are some pretty pitted areas.
    I'd ask the dealer to fix it since it's only been 8 months and surface rust shouldn't be an issue so soon. If they hide behind the 5 year rust warranty that requires perforation, then ask them to open a case with Mazda.

If you have any receipts showing how often you've washed or waxed the car, that could help your case too.
  • wannamuranowannamurano Member Posts: 4
    Thanks again - I appreciate it!
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    shoulda gotta Murano ;)
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    I agree with Steve, some careful time with a clay bar is all you need. pollutants, acid rain spots, sulfur, and especially combustion by-products on the rear bumper may look like rust but come off pretty easy with the clay bar. I used to own light silver cars and you'd see tons of these spots, basically 1-2 times a year I'd clay bar before waxing to clean them up. :shades:
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    I noticed that certain parts of my exhaust system on my CX-7 (on the rear, below the trunk, where the two tail pipes sprout from) are starting to rust, or at least starting to show signs of superficial rust. I cannot believe it, I've only had this CUV since January 2008 (got it brand new - 10 miles on it). Has anyone noticed similar things on yours? I also have a CX-9 (got it new, also in January, 6 miles on it) and I've noticed yellowish stains (similar to beginning of rust) at the exhaust orifices of the tail pipes. What is up with that? The paint on both is also showing blemishes or scratches for no reason. Seems like the coating is poor at best. Any comments any one? Thanks!
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The exhaust is not supposed to stay flawless on any vehicle, unless it's dragging on the ground or rusting through it's doing it's job.
    Pictures?
    Some of you amaze me with the issues you're having, only with the CX of course, because I know the exhaust on all other cars stay the same glamorous shade of steel as the it was the day it was driven off the lot.
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    I happen to be washing my car about 1 month ago, as i checked the crevices and areas around doors and seals, I came across nuts and bolts that have an exessive amount of rust. To be exact these nuts and bolts are in area where people would never check under nomal circumstances. I called mazda and I am taking my car in for an inspection next week.
    i am a bit dissapointed at Mazda, my car is only 6 months old with 8,500 miles.
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    i purchased my cx-7 GT / blue 12/08.
    already i found rust on the doors, specifically the area where the door hinge is connected to the body. The screws, nuts and bolts, look rusted and because I have a light blues color on my car, the rust is noticeable..
    i called dealershhip and mazda but they do not seem to think is rust.
    i am taking my car in for an inspection next week. :confuse:
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Be thankful you don't own a 2004-2005 Mazda 3
    follow the link for pictures at post #715
    Maybe your CX7 will look like these cars after a few years? my 2005 is showing rust, hopfully Mazda will correct it for me
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef267d3/709
  • sweetie12sweetie12 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 and also recently noticed when handwashing it, small pits and what looked like rust spots. When I pointed it out to the service advisor, he said it was from "rocks hitting the car". I've had new cars in the past and never had this. My car is white with the colored flecks.
    Hard to say for sure, but it sounds like rail dust to me. Rail Dust

I've had good luck removing spots like that with a clay bar.

Check out the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too.
    I don't think it's rail dust. I noticed after having my car about two weeks that there was something wrong with the paint on the hood of my car. It had several large blackish/gray marks on it. I took it to a couple of body shops and they said it looked like someone had tried to "fix" the paint, that there may have been scratches or defects and they tried to fix it. I immediately went back to the dealership and the were going to repaint the hood. I told them that they needed to replace the entire hood or give me a new car. Madza Corporate refused to replace the hood, only offering to repaint it. My thing was that repainting the hood was a red flag if and when I traded it in that it was "hit" when it never was. I've been through this before and dealerships automatically think if something has been repainted, it was in an accident. So finally the dealership replaced the hood at their expense. Now, it looks like it is chipping and lifting in spots. I've had rock hits before on other cars, but this looks different. I've had people tell me that paint that is done in body shops is not as durable as from the factory. Is that correct? If that is the case, I would have made them take the car back from the start!!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You are correct, factory paint is nearly always better. However, it's doubtful that you'd get an arbiter or judge to force a buyback for that reason.
    I don't think it's fair that I am stuck with a car with inferior paint. I have less than 12K miles! There are other problems with this car as well. I have had a noise underneath the front for more than 6 months and have had them try and fix that with no luck yet. I love the car, except for these problems. :cry:
    You are right: it's not fair. It’s also not right to get hit when your car is a week old. Unfortunately, these things happen and a body shop repair is the allowed fix.

The noise problem is another issue and based on your state's laws, you should pursue that.
    My car was not hit; there was a "defect" in the paint on the hood or when it was manufactured; they tried to fix it and did a bad job. If my car was hit after I bought it, then yes, it would be unfortunate. I don't feel there is any difference with defective paint than a defective engine, or any other part of a new car. They should discount the car since it is not in "new" condition when purchased new. It's going in again next week (2nd time this month) for the noise and I have told them I don't want it back until it is fixed. Let's see how that goes. If I get it back and it is still making the noise, I'm going to have it looked at elsewhere and then possibly pursue the Lemon Law.
    I was using an unfortunate collision in comparison...yes it sucks, but it happens, gets fixed at a shop and you now have a repaired vehicle.. Acceptable repairs, by law, are repainting at a body shop.

Some cars come out of the factory with blemishes, are damaged in transportation to the dealer or catch dings on the dealer's lot. A dealer does not have to disclose this repair, up to a certain amount ($2,000 in most states) and can, by law, sell the car as new.
    I understand that they are allowed to do repairs to cars up to a specific dollar figure without disclosing it. I have had cars painted in the past, but have never had so many paint lifts (or whatever you'd call them). I guess I'll take it to another body shop other than the one that painted it and see what they think. At the rate it is going, the hood of this car will look like crap in another year!
This discussion has been closed.