Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    The new 4 Runner won't cost 40k unless you add the kitchen sink. You are right...a few months is not significant. However, now that my statements about an early release have been verified, Cliffy should admit his error and acknowledge that he was just guessing.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Your statement have not been verified, and I was not guessing. I have a long history of sharing whatever information I have and I usually tell the source so people can make their own determination as to the validity of it. None of which you have ever done. You will also note that I have never said you are wrong in a definitive sense. I have said that your information does not match with mine. I have also said that I would be happy if you are correct because I want to see this thing as much as everybody else. Its just that the evidence I have seen indicates that the Runner will not be out in March (again, we'll know for sure this week).
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    with a 2-3 second glimpse of the new Runner? That would be a clear sign of an early release....
  • nycrunnernycrunner Member Posts: 2
    I traded in my 95 4Runner for a 2001. I have never had back problems and I have owned several cars and have never had a problem with the driver's seat. However, the seat in my new 4Runner is killing me!

The lower (lumbar?) support feels like it is pushed out too far and I can't adjust it to go in any further.

I'm 6'1' 200 lbs and like I said, I've never experienced anything like this. I love the truck, but I need to do something about the seats. Has anyone replaced their seats? Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thank you in advance.
  • pr23swpr23sw Member Posts: 6
    When I first started looking at the 4runner I had a new car salesrep tell me that you could not buy a platinum unless you are the original owner. He said the gold warrty. was the only thing you could get on a used one off the lot. Then he started on about the after-market warrty.'s and I said "Thank you" and left.
  • kanerkaner Member Posts: 6
    Now, several new jersey dealers are telling me the 2003 will be released early to mid April. I guess Buzz was right afterall.
  • westbay1westbay1 Member Posts: 1
    NYCRUNNER I have the same problem with my '96 4runner. It has been a great truck, but the seats are a huge problem fo me. There are a number of good aftermarket seat manufacturers including Recaro and Sparco. Sparco has an adapter bracket, Recaro does not. I am told there is only one bracket manufacturer in the US somewhere in CA and they will drill a bracket to fit the Recaro(though many retailers may not tell you this). Unfortunately niether of these seats are cheap and they won't match in color. Perhaps someone else has a better idea. If so, I would love to hear it too.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    How does that make Buzz right? He swears it'll be March, not April.

Bob
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    Speculation on another board is that the picture you see when you run your mouse over the icon for the magazine may be the new runner.

http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie.html

• goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Joe -

One thing you might want to look our for in a 4Runner of the vintage you mentioned is whether or not the head gasket has been replaced. I believe there was a recall for this problem. When I bought my '95 used, the dealer was able to look up my vehicle using the VIN and ascertain that it had had the gasket replaced as part of this recall.

The only other thing I can mention is that I experienced a problem with the injectors when I first got the rig, but I haven't heard that mentioned as a consistent problem by other owners. One trip to the shop and they haven't been a problem since. Overall, the reliability of these rigs can't be beat.
    And we still have 2002s coming in. The latest one from this allocation will arrive in port on March 22, which means no 2003s this month.

As usual, if I find more and solid information, I will share it.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    Cliffy1, as you know, I'm looking at ordering a 4runner. I was worried about having trouble ordering a 2002 if unit stock was down due to the slowing of production for the current model and ramping up of the new. I expressed my concern with my source within Toyota (whom I would place order through) and they confirmed my earlier posting. The 2003 4Runner will launch like all other OEM 2003 vehicles. Production starts in August, and vehicles will be on sale in September. As you also know, I work for a supplier to TMS. I thought that it would be good to have a second source to confirm this timing (isn't that what reporters have to do). I checked with our Material Controls department and they said that the 4Runner component sales forecast is unchanged for the next quarter (forecast comes electronically from TMS). Just to quantify, we are not supplying parts for the 2003 4Runner, so naturally our sales will stop when it goes into production.

Luckily, I still have time to order my 2002.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    With all of the different stories going around, I wonder if there is anything we can all can agree on. I know "buzzlight" says the new 4Runner will not be based on the Lexus GX470 and a few of us, including myself thinks the GX470 makes sense. Now there are different dates and I will know for sure, after I see a 2003 on the dealer lot.

But, maybe there may be a few things ALL (scratch the "ALL"), let me say MOST of us may agree on. It seems everyone feels that their is going to be a V8, either as standard or as a option. The other thing I am assuming is that the new 4Runner will be a import. There hasn't been any talk of the 4Runner being built here. Do most of us feel, we can agree with both of these statements???
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    It will be an import
    Agreed as well.

Hey, this might be a record here at Edmunds. Three members who agree with one statement without qualifications doesn't happen very often.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Yes, but one of them is not the "dissenter"
    Buzzlight.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    I lived in Japan for 7 years and just came back almost 2 years ago. I just want to confirm thata the GX470 will definitely NOT be the basis for the next Runner. GX470 has been sold in Japan as Toyota Land Cruiser PRADO for at least the whole time I was there.

To loma1, the writing on that spy photo from Japan on that link you posted seems to read "hiluxsurf" which is our 4Runner here. Let me review my hiragana. I'll get back with you on that.
  • nycrunnernycrunner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info westbay. I hope others who share this problem post their ideas/remedies. Until then, I'll be shifting in my seat.
    "hiluxsurf" it is good to hear from you again after a long dry spell. You used to post quite a bit when I first bought my 4Runner.
    You mentioned that the GX470 has been sold in Japan for awhile. I thought it was a new SUV that is not even out yet? Not to be confused with the LX470. The GX470 is considered a mid-size SUV, enough though it is about 4 inches longer than a 4Runner. Since you were over in Japan for awhile, could you shed a little more light on the GX470. Has it been out in Japan for years?
  • jparentejparente Member Posts: 9
    Hi, just bought a 2002 4Runner SR5 but didn't come with Fog Lights. Do any of you have recommendations on any good places to get these for a reasonable price?
  • jlduncjldunc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for helping me out. I'll be sure to ask about that when I start looking around. I've always heard they're great cars, glad to know you liked yours. Thanks again!
    Peter78, My buddies and I used to 4WD on the trails of Sagami River in Atsugi and Zama cities. Japanese PRADO clubs were there with us every weekend. Most of them though use the ealier models (1980's) 'cause of the live front axles. This link below shows how the Land Cruiser evolution throughout the years. If you look at the bottom of the chart, you'll see the first Land Cruiser PRADO manufactured in 85:

http://global.toyota.com/entertainment/landcruiser/image/chronology.gif

to be continued..

Here's the main link on that site I posted earlier:

http://global.toyota.com/entertainment/landcruiser/index.html

I think the full size Land Cruiser is named in Japan "Land Cruiser 80" and the short wheel based is called "Land Cruiser 70 Prado".

Here's a link of a real old PRADO, my guess is 87(click on the prado word on the left):

http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~hidetomo

Peter78 & all, Sorry to post in installment. Here's Toyota Japan link of Land Cruiser PRADO = U.S. Lexus GX470. Just click on those weird looking link characters(kanji), as you run your mouse over these links, you should see the english equivalent of what they are in the bottom of your window:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/LandCruiserPrado/index.html

I think the Lexus GX470 might be the new Prado. Isn't the 4Runner based on the Prado? Then maybe we can say..... or am I all wrong? Please look at the site I am about to post and look at the comments from "DOUS", before someone gives me a answer. Thanks....

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=94&t=000724

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Intellichoice rated the 4Runner best overall value in its class.

http://carpoint.msn.com/browse/win_4018610.asp

They liked the RAV4, too.

• jraetzjraetz Member Posts: 1
    nycrunner & westbay1 I thougt I was the only one living with pain. I have a 2000 limited with power seats. No matter what I try my right leg is in pain after 3 or 4 miles. If I use the cruise on the interstate I can tollerate it. I bought this truck used in Dec of 01. I give it one more month and its gone.
  • stislanderstislander Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine for 2002 Runner at Toyotaguys.com for $250.00. Installation was another $50.00
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    2002 Buildout - June
    New vehicle build starts - July
    Vehicles to US dealerships - August
    Available to purchase - September

If anyone says any different they are:
    a. Misinformed
    b. Pulling your leg
    c. Lying

Anyone that says they will be driving one before August should post their picture with the vehicle where people in this forum can see it. This won't happen, since it is impossible.

They don't look like the Prado
    They don't look like the GX470 (but will share some of its features)

They do look more like the 2002 4Runner than anything else that I have seen.
    They do have a V-8 (same as GX470)
    They do have the GX470 4WD w/downhill braking
    They do have an instrument cluster "somewhat" like the Corolla cluster (very somewhat)
    They do have an upscale interior.

I do work for Toyota
    I do have resources that I have tapped in other Toyota companies.
    I do have confirmation on all of the above information.

I will be patient and wait for mine until February.
    I hope everyone in here buys one.

""""
    0-0\
    <
    \_/

Get the feeling!
    the sky is green.

(sorry. inside joke)
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Nuh-uh, Rich, my source is BuzzLight who has sources ... and I say it's going to be out next week. Now apologize!! ;)

You guys crack me up.

JP
  • mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    Not only is the sky green, but it's falling!

My $ is still on you Clifmeister......

MIKEinTN, still enjoying my new Acura MDX!
  • jimjacqjimjacq Member Posts: 1
    RWard99 - you seem pretty confident about the new 2003 4 Runner info. Can you shed some light about any additional cost that the new 4 Runner may have? Also, will the V-8 be standard or an option? And finally, can you secretly grab a photo of the new 4 Runner and post it so us would be 2003 4 Runner owners can decide if they want to buy it?
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    This board is hilarious!! Cliffy gets my vote.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    It's becoming a regular Sit-Com!
  • poppadoc1poppadoc1 Member Posts: 11
    THANKS RWARD99!!! EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID SOUNDS PERFECTLY LOGICAL TO ME. CHECK OUT MY MESSAGE # 1288. WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE NEW TRUCK IS BIGGER THAN THE CURRENT MODEL? IF SO WE'RE ON THE SAME PAGE. TIME WILL DECIDE WHO'S RIGHT IN ALL OF THIS. IT SHOULD BE VEERRRY INTERESTING!!!!!!!
    So many stories about the new 4Runner, it is beginning to look like a Sit-Com. I have been reading this board since mid-2000 and they were talking about the new 4Runner coming out in 2001. I noticed that my local dealer now has orders for the 2002's till March 24, so no new 4Runners in March. STILL this board and the different posts can be of some help. If you look at the overall picture, I think one can say:

1.) There is probably going to be a forth generation 4Runner.
    2.) It will most likely be a import.
    3.) There will probably have a V8, either as a option or as standard.
    4.) The new 4Runner will probably be bigger than the current model.
    5.) The new model will probably come out this year. I think the 1996 model didn't come out till 1996, so it might very well be 2003, still most feed back on this board seems to be this year.

I know a lot of people are hung up on the exact details, but if you look at the overall picture, it may not be so blurry.
  • energyman1energyman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello;

I am looking for Toyota filter (08922-02011). Does
    anybody has a good online site to use?
    Thanks.
  • lynneh1lynneh1 Member Posts: 6
    Hubby and I need a car for a special purpose:
    It will be used for about 4 years to go back and forth to the airport in Houston a couple of times per week and then used for general running around, but not daily driving. Then, when our 1986 Jimmy goes to car heaven in about 4 years up in Colorado Springs, we plan to move the "new" car to live in Colorado. It will sit for very long periods (months) with the battery disconnected in freezing temps.
    Therefore, we have to have a 4X4 for the snowy conditions at ski resorts. Toyotas have a reputation for living forever. We need the SUV because in Texas, we live in the country and small cars don't work on dirt roads.
    We looked at the Highlander, but since we are both 6 feet tall, the chassis seemed too small. The 4 runner looked to be more our size, etc. The Sequoia looks nice, but maybe too big for our purposes.So, what do all you car buffs think?
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    Don't let the exterior of the 4runner fool you. Although it sits higher and looks bigger than a Highlander, because the Highlander has unibody construction (as opposed to the more old-fashioned body-on-frame construction of the 4runner), its more space efficient and has a roomier interior than the 4runner (atleast from what I've read; I haven't actually sat in a Highlander yet).

I'm also 6 feet tall, and truth be told, the interior space of the 4runner is, well, cramped (especially with the sunroof). However, I regularly take my 4runner on long drives, have driven it cross country, and have never been uncomfortable or sore. You should definitely take a 4runner for a long test drive to make sure it 'fits' you.

Or better yet, wait until the 2003 4runners arrive (which will be either in March, Sept. or 2003, depending on who you believe). Rumor has it they will be roomier, with a possible bump in HP.
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    Don't let my previous post dissuade you from getting a 4runner, though. It's great for skiing and snow. I only drive my 4runner on weekends; the rest of the week it sits out in the cold. But when I want to go to Vermont, it fires right up, no problem.
  • walkercmwalkercm Member Posts: 11
    I have an 02 4Runner SR5 that I just bought. I've noticed when I first turn on the truck, the engine "roars" for about a minute then quiets down. Is this a warm-up cycle? Should I wait until it is finished before I put it into drive?
    Thanks-
    That roar is typical of the 3.4 liter engine. It is part of the normal warm up cycle but I don't think you need to wait to drive it.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    Has anyone been able to make some sense of that Japanese Magazine cover. People who have been able to (or got someone to) translate it said that the word "Surf" was on it. On another board, a bit more translation led to "New Toyota Models" and "spy shots." Anybody? Since the Hilux Surf is the Japanese 4Runner, does that mean that the SUV on the cover will be the new 4Runner? (I know I may be stating the obvious) I'm curious. It DOES look like there's a Toyota emblem in that round lump in the middle of the grill, and the front does look a little bit similar to the current 4Runner...
  • ronfarronfar Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys,

Is there anything on the net, or a quick "dummies guide" for those of us that want to learn to use the 4wd properly?

I have a 2001 SR5 4Runner and we have limited snow/opportunities to engage the 4wd here in seattle area, but I do want to learn and do it right.

Looking in the manual, it isn't that helpful.

Appreciate any quick advice (such as, put it in neutral and move the 4wd to x position for snow, etc).
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    Woohoo, yay for Texas! Speaking of 4Runners, can anyone give me a good estimate on an SR5 model with say the Sport Package? I've heard on advertisements as low as 23,999. Naturally, they don't say anything else. :-P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota 4WD systems explained. It's a great place to start.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ronfarronfar Member Posts: 11
    I will be going through that..it looks like what you said...a great place to start.

And, thanks to Cliffy! for doing it in the first place. You rock dude!
    I rock? Wow. Thanks.
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    My sources still confirm April delivery of 2003 4 Runner. Much bigger and better than the current version.