Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Vibrations

spawacz27spawacz27 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Mitsubishi
2007 Outlander
ROAD VIBRATION FELT IN STEERING WHEEL. Taked with the dealer. Alighment and balanced checked, rotated tieres... Still noticible when driving on long trips. There is a stedy buzzing vibration in the streering wheen. I dont know if its me or is just this suv drives. Does anyone experice the same thing?

Comments

• piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    What is your tire pressure? Did you hit any pothole recently? Ride is firm in mine, but no vibration. Next step - ask dealer or any tire shop to put new/ different set of tires just to see if it is any better. You may also take another Outlander on a test drive the same route.
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Is this a 4WD or FWD Outlander? If 4WD try going in and out out FWD to see if it's drive line affected.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    Mine has no vibration with the stock Goodyear tires and 18" wheels. Where did you have the tires balanced?
  • spawacz27spawacz27 Member Posts: 2
    This is to add to my orginal post: ROAD VIBRATION FELT IN STEERING WHEEL by spawacz27

My is XLS. It felt like that from the day i bought the car. I did not test drove this one but a DEMO XLS one and did not notice any vibration than. My XLS was brand new all cover with factory plastic and had like 18 miles on it (should of test that one too. Learned my lesson). I drive mostly in 2wd. I tried 4wd auto and 4wd lock. Same buzzing/vibration sensation. All pervious check by dealer did not find anything wrong and they stated that’s how this model drives…. BS
    Right now the SUV just hit 9,000 miles. I already scheduled the next maintenance appointment and want them to check this issue very carefully because I think the front tires are developing " feathering" . Check out the site to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25re- adtirewear.html

I will see what they say and will test drive a different Outlander in a different dealership to see if I experience the same sensation. I’m very frustrated at this point. :mad:
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    As the post say, "road vibration felt in steering wheel". Have you drive in a really smooth road just to isolate the problem? Uneven roads causes a lot of problems. I've experienced pulling to the left and to the right anf all sorts of problem relating to the road surface. Thankfully my Outlander seem to handle those well. I can tell it's not the car because everytime I hit that segment of fresh asphalt, everything goes smoothly as well.

You could have a wheel balancing problem too if you say your wheel is feathering. Well if that's the case it's always warrantable and it shouldn't be too hard to prove your case since you got hard evidence to show. I don't think the dealer can deny your warranty if you have a valid reason for a claim.
  • alexm2alexm2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have similar problem. The vibration starts when the car goes about 80km/h and higher on a high way. I am still not sure, what causes it, and would be interested if anybody has the same problem and already fixed it.
    What I noticed is vibration started after tire rotation at dealer service station. However, according this link it could be more complicated problem
    http://www.autocarepronews.com/default.aspx?type=art&id=84466&

Any suggestion?
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    You may find the problem by causes elimination. (1) Balance the 4-wheels (2)-You may conduct 4-wheel alignment i.e. toe-in (3)- Brake disc (rotor) may be deformed (4)- Caliper may be seized, etc.(5)- wheels may be skewed (6)-suspension arms may be loosed, etc.

When taking your vehicle for alignment ask for pre and after computer listing of alignment values, i.e. camber, toe-in, caster, steering angle, etc. Also ask for Outlander 2008 data. Some Mitsu garages have values for the Outlander 2006. Furthermore, ask for the date of the latest alignment calibration machine.
  • cenitdunitcenitdunit Member Posts: 2
    Smooth ride, handles well, very comfortable seats and car like ride. Feels like a luxury SUV. Didn't like the Santa Fe and the Mazda Tribute has rear drum brakes.
    I know I made the right choice and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.