Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Tribeca

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The new Sienna's interior materials went one step down, also, for instance the dash is no longer padded. :(

Before you rule out the Veracruz make sure you get real-world price quotes, as they sell way below list prices.
  • jojo38jojo38 Member Posts: 1
    I bought by Tribeca used and have the 05-06 Navi disc. This is embarassing to admit but in almost two years, I have not been able to get the navigation system to really work. I made the mistake or removing and re-inserting the disk and now my gps is stuck at a 16 mile radius and is pretty useless. Any ideas on how I can get help? Thank you! :mad:
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Did you try contacting the dealer ? It may be a very easy fix. I believe when I had my Honda Odyssey's NAV system, after the DVD disc was inserted, it had to be pressed once again for the system to be fully "inserted". The Tribeca system might be slightly different but the dealer should be able to help with that.
  • pametzpametz Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased the new Version 5 in the hopes that it would overcome the flaws in the maps of earlier versions and the routing software algorithm. Unfortunately I can report that there is no discernible difference between the two versions where I live in NC. Therefore I assume that once again Subaru has simply done a POI update which costs almost $300. This same nav system is in the 2010 Tribeca models. However, Subaru advised that all other new models have shifted to a system supplied by Garmin. I have tried it and it works perfectly, just like my portable Garmin. Bottom line, don't waste your money on V5 unless you want a POI update.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited July 2010
    However, Subaru advised that all other new models have shifted to a system supplied by Garmin.

Garmin??? Please elaborate. What models are you referring to?

I know Subaru will be introducing removable TomTom units in some 2011 Imprezas and Foresters, but these won't hit the market for several months.

Bob
  • srx010srx010 Member Posts: 4
    Same problem here. Got the Version 5 and it can't find cities and takes you the wrong way. I have a $150 Garmin that works better. My question is why do we have to pay $300 for the POI update to fix a product that doesn't work.
  • ttentelhttentelh Member Posts: 46
    I just bought version 5. I have no problems at all. Actually I bought version 4 back in April and I called subaru to complaint about issuing 2 versions in 2-3 months and they reimburse me the full amount of version 4. So if everyone bought both versions from Kenwood just contact subaru and they will sent you your money back as soon as you fax them your receipts.
    make sure you set it to the city you are live in.
  • srx010srx010 Member Posts: 4
    ttentelh - thanks for the info. It turns out I have version 4 not 5. I live in PA. Yesterday I was traveling to Northern NJ and the system did not have Newton NJ in the system, so I could not put in the destination address.
    make sure you are under the correct region-state. Press the destination button and select your state on the left screen so the system loads the map of the selected area.
  • drbroustersdrbrousters Member Posts: 4
    It is my experience that all GPS systems need to be "tricked" at times. Usually they want you to input just the right word, or not complete the word you are looking for. The Subaru system seems less like that, and has alot more holes than others I've used, but sometimes less information is better...sometimes not.

Glad to hear they've gone to Garmin...the best as far as I'm concerned. I tried to get the Tribeca to take me to a National Park (Soel Duc Hot Springs). It took me within 50 miles, then headed back the other direction. When I finally got to the resort, I looked at the map...it was in the middle of the Park, but no roads or facilities were identified. Understandable. The facility has only been in existence since the early 1900's. ;) Besides that, my home point reads as 6 blocks North of where it actually is. It takes me home to my house, but not my address. :confuse:
  • jtadrickjtadrick Member Posts: 1
    I am using a qt of oil per 1000 miles - both the dealer and subaru say this is within the tech specs but it doesn't seem right to me

Has anyone had issues with the tribeca consuming that much oil?

Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This won't make you feel any better but that is widely considered the industry standard.

Are you using the correct grade? You may even want to consider a switch to synthetic, which may not burn off as much.

Also check the block for oil leaks - the head and valve cover gaskets, and front main seal, and the rear main seal.
This discussion has been closed.