Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid Maintenance and Repair

t2sonst2sons Member Posts: 2
I have a 95 intrepid and iam wondering if anyone has found any solutions as to how to stiffen the rear suspension for towing purposes.

Comments

• sooner34sooner34 Member Posts: 2
    I blew out the front passenger door speaker, Chrysler Infinity #04760374AB.

Does anybody know where I can find a replacement? I'm having trouble finding anything online.
  • skibum64skibum64 Member Posts: 1
    Any luck I am looking for the same thing.
  • jjones3jjones3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for the same speakers. They might have them at a Chrysler dealership but they might be expensive.

Does your rear like its blown when you turn up the bass or is mine the only one?
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    What is it about that driver's side door speaker on the Infinity's.....JEEZ! I replaced mine before trading my 2000 ES and prior to that had the center mounted "imaging" one replaced. I had one ordered the first time--through the dealer it was under $100. The second one was replaced by my Dodge dealer who managed to find a used one..
  • tbrecheentbrecheen Member Posts: 4
    I can get you one from our depot. OEM Infinity speaker pn 04760374ab for 70 dollars plus shipping.

If interested email me at ctbrecheen@hotmail.com

thanks

Terry
  • catagorycatagory Member Posts: 4
    Cannot control the heat. Checked the dash controls and they appear to be working. Selecting vent controls are also working. Constantly have heat as long as the blower is on. AC will work fine until engine heat comes up. Any suggestions as to what controls heat? Is it water flow thru the heater core, or is it diverting air flow thru the core? Repair shop wants to replace the dash controls, but I'm sure that's not it.
    Joe
  • dsjrdsjr Member Posts: 3
    I went to get in my Intrepid the other morning and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. The steering wheel is locked and the key won't turn to start the car or even into the acc position. Anyone have a similar problem and if so how did they fix it?
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Did you try pulling the steering wheel in one direction or another?>
  • KentEwingKentEwing Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know who might make a model of the car? cast iron, hot wheels, burago etc.? thanks

Kent
  • sooner34sooner34 Member Posts: 2
  • wilfigwilfig Member Posts: 1
    The ignition key would not turn in my 2000 Dodge Neon. I tried turning the steering wheel and the key still would not turn. In order for me to turn the key I would have to use my screwdriver handle to bang on the key to turn and start the car. This is happening all the time when I use the car. I don't know if the problem is the ignition lock or the ignition switch. Can anyone help?
  • dsjrdsjr Member Posts: 3
  • mrsdrbmrsdrb Member Posts: 1
    Hi! What did you find out. This exact same thing happened tonight to our daughter's 2000 Dodge Neon. We have tried everything just as you did... only problem for us is that banging on the key didn't work.

Is there a special way to bang on the key? Anyway, I'd love to find out what happened with your Neon (and if it had to be professionally repaired how much did it cost?) THanks!
  • bigcurtbigcurt Member Posts: 2
    i was driving my 95 dodge intrepid when it started to shake witha bad miss then it stalled out when i got it started again it had a sulfer smell so i removed the cat now it still wont start new plugs wires and coil pack on it any clues what it could be thanks
  • aa_ezyaa_ezy Member Posts: 2
    My mechanic just notified me that my radiator failed AGAIN with all it's catastrophic damage to the engine. What I'm having a problem with is what would cause the failure of yet another radiator? It was replaced before, with a "NEW" radiator. It's a '96 with less than 100k. Is it possible that something in the engine is causing the radiators to fail? It sounds to me that that "NEW" replacement was a USED / cheap rebuild? What do you think?
  • razacrazac Member Posts: 2
    i supos it could happen but not likely !!!! radiators just dont go out like that your mechanic is takeing u for a ride

only way they go out is if your dumping raidator stop leek in it i would adviz NOT useing ANY of them on the market

you more than likly have air in the syatem with all the radiators u have gone throgh that is whats worng !!!! IF u have a 3.5 it's easy to fix your self

the over heating thing has hit me to it's air in the system on the intrepid's it's a closed cooling system

3.5 engine only how to fix it will take time but not to much u will need like 2 gl's of antifreez just in case
    look at the engin u see the main hose going to the radiator thats your thremastat now do u see the little silver bleeder vavle next to the hose on the therm housing i think it's a 10mm rench when the car is hot open that bleeder vavle CAUTION WILL SPRAY OUT HOT AIR AND COOLENT STAND OFF TO THE SIDE OF IT once u get all coolent close vavle do this a few time then drive the car some more u will repeat this over and over till it stops over heating!!! when the car is cold normly in the morning thats when u add your coolent to the reservoir DO NOT OVER FILL LEAVE AN INCH OR SO TO THE TOP . i think i had to do it for 3 weeks or less and not all the time only when temp went over 3/4's allso check your sensor on the therm.cant miss it same location as the bleeder vavle black clip with 2 wires coming stright out the top of it and the fans if they dont come on when the temp hits 1/2 it's the sensor
  • john374john374 Member Posts: 1
    Replaced both head gaskets.

Now I do not get any spark.

error code 125455.

Autozone told me that error code 54 meant that my distributor was bad, HA HA "97" 3.3s did not have a distributor.

Cleared the code and tried to restart, error code 125455 came back.

Had plenty of spark before replacing the head gaskets.

Please help if you can.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated response.

Respectfully submitted,

John Wm. Willard
    John 374
  • sprescottsprescott Member Posts: 1
    I have seen cars go through radiators because of a head gasket failure.There is a simple chemical test with a special tool,using a fluid that. will change in collor.if it detects combustion gasses in the cooling syst.

What was the symtem that caused you to bring it to your mechanic----? runing hot or did the radiator fail to the point of it spewd coolant on the ground.?

What is the time between the failed radiators? More info is needed for me to make
    an educated oppinion.

1) symtem
    2) time between radiators
    3) the first radiators cause of failure
    4) What is the tech saying is the cause of this failure
    5) has the car ever been in a significant accident with damage to the front end

hope this will help, i do my best to give you the most accurate answer i can
  • james234james234 Member Posts: 7
    i had the same problem with my 1998 intrepid, it ended up being my thermosat was not opening the whole way, hence the plastic side tank on the rad would over heat and split, it has been 5-years since it was fixed so far so good
  • james234james234 Member Posts: 7
    my 1998 did the same exact thing - it was the computer
  • jsmash1on1jsmash1on1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2. I was driving down the highway one day and everything was fine. Then when I got off and slowed down, I recognized the temp gauge going way up, I parked the car, and turned off the engine, and antifreeze was all over the ground. So I let the car sit, grabbed a couple gallons of water the next day, and drove the car all the way to my friends garage. Again the temp gauge seemed fine until I started hitting red lights, but it did not overheat. Once I got to the garage turned the car off again all the water came right out all over the place. We took the overflow cap off, and there was a lot of air blowing out, as well as radiator fluid/water. Then we filled it up again and let it run for about 20 minutes without overheating, the gauge stayed in the middle position. Turned the car off nothing. Now he's saying that I need a radiator which I don't doubt, but could there be another problem causing this? I didn't drive it or anything just let it sit running. Seems like the air in the system might have been the issue. Is there a way to release the air on a 3.2?
  • p_stjeanp_stjean Member Posts: 1
    if you still have the car and still doing the same thing
    i have a 94 3.3 and had that same problem when i change the timing sensor the motor will turn and should start
  • bigcurtbigcurt Member Posts: 2
  • bbdpquinbbdpquin Member Posts: 1
    After I drove the car a few miles, all of a sudden steam started coming out of the radiator. Spitting coolant all over my engin. do I need a new radiator?
  • razacrazac Member Posts: 2
    hello there just read your post it could be your water pump/thermostat going out... at highway speeds the pump seems fine but once U slow down the temp goes up or red lines.. TO MUCH PRESSURE this is to much for your radiator cap to handle this is y U got anti freeze all over {Seems like the air in the system might have been the issue. Is there a way to release the air on a 3.2}check the top hose from the radiator to the engine look at the housing if U see bleeder valve that should look like your brake's bleeder valve{I.E }if U have ever done brake's you will know what I Am talking about IF U DO NOT SEE THIS VALVE THEN U CANT DO THE THE NEXT STEP
    u will need a 10MM wrench when the car is hot stand on one side and open the valve once u get all antfreezz the shut and waite a few min and repeat

BAD SPELLER/GRAMMER SORRY DONT LIKE IT DONT READ MY POST
  • aa_ezyaa_ezy Member Posts: 2
  • bon8699bon8699 Member Posts: 2
    My Dad's 96 Intrepid had the overdrive go out and hasn't come back at all.All the other gears shift perfect and we replaced the cars torque converter and tried a different computer to fix the problem,no luck.I read it could be the transmission control solinoid.Has anybody had this problem and if so whats the fix,thax
  • poof608poof608 Member Posts: 3
    the water pump went out in my intrepid, we had it replaced but now the check engine light is on and when you go to start it, it takes about 10 seconds for it to start. Why could this be. the mechanic also said the cam heads need realigned. is this an expensive task?
  • corona89corona89 Member Posts: 3
    cam heads have lot to do with the light being on but did u have it reset after fixing the water pump?? if not take it to dealer or iwould advise advanced they can do it for free once they reset that and it comes back on then u have the problem elsewhere
    Awesome! Thank you I will definitely try this.
  • raymondoraymondo Member Posts: 2
    1) How do I know if there is a speed proportional steering on this vehicle
    2) Can the power steering pump and rack and pinion be replaced with units that do not have that option and what could be the adverse affects?
    RM
  • raymondoraymondo Member Posts: 2
  • cloudgoddcloudgodd Member Posts: 2
    on Tuesday I am having my tie rod bushings replaced as per my mechanic, however my father in-law said that when replacing these the CV joint usually will need replacing too (as in is a must do) is this true? or can I have just the tie rod bushing replaced?
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    if the info provided is correct...no! the cv joints will never need replacing unless when you stop, fully turn the wheel start to drive and get the load click click click noise. tie rods and tie rod bushings have nothing to do with the cv joints
  • cloudgoddcloudgodd Member Posts: 2
  • dulinaadulinaa Member Posts: 10
    Your father-in-law is incorrect unless he was discussing the CV joint boot. Although while replacing the tie rod ends would be a good time to closely inspect the CV joints for boot tears, there is no need to replace CV shafts unless there is a genuine concern. Popping or cracking noises on accelerated turns from a stop would be the most noticeable concern. You can replace the tie rod ends only, just be sure to get an alignment after the repair.
  • graber87graber87 Member Posts: 2
    I have lately been trying to find a air intake for my 2000 intrepid, but it seems no one makes one for the 3.2 engine that i have, I have done some research and I dont know if this is true or not but the only difference between the 3.2 and the 3.5 is the cylinder bore. So could the air intake kit for a 3.5 be compatible with the 3.2?? need help!
  • leeangeloleeangelo Member Posts: 2
    Hey man the info provided below should answer your question. You can also go to dodgeintrepid.net which has several members who own these cars and I bet lots of them have done the air intake on the 3.2 as well. The 3.2 is the same as the 3.5 just a smaller bore so it should work just fine. And I've seen an air intake on a 3.2 before. I have the 3.5 and I just got a K&N air intake for about 230 shipped.
    Below theres also a link to the ebay listing of the K&N intake. Its listed as 211.00 free shipping. I paid more because I live in hawaii. Good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-FIPK-Cold-Air-Intake-00-04-DODGE-Intrepid-SXT- -3-5L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260545839076QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc- cessories :shades:

khinz163
    08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
    I am unable to find an intake for 1999 3.2L V6 Intrepid? What reasons are there that a intake for a 2.7L wont work? Please help me because i am desperetly trying to improve my intrepid...thanks
    Crash459
    08-13-2005, 08:25 AM
    The two intakes are a different size. K&N actually makes a Cold air intake for the second gen intrepids. Keep in mind that the 3.2 and the 3.5 have the same block. and the 98-04 intrepids are technically the same vehicle. Do a search for any cold air intake that will fit a 98-04 intrepid with a 3.2 or 3.5 and it will fit your car.
    khinz163
    08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
    so you think a Intake for a (2000 DODGE Intrepid 3.5L V6 F/I - All) will fit?
    Crash459
    08-14-2005, 06:29 AM
    Yes it will.
  • graber87graber87 Member Posts: 2
  • bon8699bon8699 Member Posts: 2
  • smoke420freesmoke420free Member Posts: 1
    omfg, i think i must have bought your car, lol,

same thing happening here, except 3 and overdrive jacked up, and if you stay in 2nd for a while it will slip and the engine winds up real loud before it shifts back in to 2nd, lolz....

transmission guy said prolly needs a new one,

i was online looking for transmission prices with labor...
  • jchavesjchaves Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    '94 3.3 Intrepid won't start below 40 or so degrees. Gas is present in fuel rail, cranks like a champ, have swapped around relays under hood. Soon as it warms up..... bingo. Sure seems like lack of fire (unconfirmed) assuming thats it what would cause this. Car runs beautiful all other times. As I live in Fl. I only have a chance to experience/troubleshoot a couple of times per year. Any help gratefully appreciated. -Jeff
  • bigdave359bigdave359 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my 2004 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.5 liter engine started getting hot. The warning bell went off, I looked at the temperature gauge and it was about 3/4 of the way up. I stopped and turned the car off within 10 seconds. I had new anti-freeze with me so I thought I’d top it off. I tried to slowly release the pressure but the radiator cap slipped and boiled over. It blew everywhere. I waited an hour for it to cool down then refilled it. I checked the oil and it was at the correct level and looked very clean. The car fired right up and drove perfectly. I drove 1.5 miles home and it started to get hot again just as I arrived. The next day I again checked the fluid level and drove 3 miles to the mechanic. It was starting to get hot by the time I got there. The car never once over heated. It started up and drove perfectly again. My mechanic said the water pump probably went out. He went to change it and the head gasket for me. When he took the intake off, it was covered in oil. I mean, he said it was dripping really bad when he took it off. I saw the line of oil on the floor where he had carried it to the back of his shop. He stopped work on it immediately, called me and said I needed a new engine. He said there was very little coolant in it. Which might make sense if the water pump wasn’t working. But I only drove it 4.5 miles total and it never over heated. He told me the oil must be coming from the piston area so my rings must be shot. Can anyone give me some info. I don’t know a lot about working on cars and I don't know if he's just trying to rip me off or what. He knows I don’t know a lot about cars and I’ve always trusted what he’s told me. Like I said, it ran perfectly taking it to his shop. The original motor blew up in 2008 due to the oil pump going out. So I replaced it with this engine. I used the same mechanic to put the new engine in. It had 20,000 miles on it when it went in. It now has less than 80,000 total miles on it. Please help, I LOVE my car and don't want to lose her. I sure hope I've given enough information for a possible diagnosis. Thank you very much. Big Dave
  • danmccoy1danmccoy1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    97 intrepid 3.5L. runs fine until engine is warmed up than hesitates and misfires almost to the point of stalling, engine light is on.
  • mtnochemtnoche Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 dodge intrepid that is giving me the fits! Yesterday I started it and the check engine light came on. I drove it anyway (maybe my first mistake). I was on the freeway for a few miles going 70 or so, when I felt a slight lurch. The oil light came on and the car began to decelerate. Giving it gas did nothing, so I was forced to the side of the freeway. When the car came to a complete stop, it began to shutter, so I turned off the engine. I sat the for 20 minutes or so trying to decide what to do next. I restarted the car and the check engine light was still on but the oil light no longer was. So, a month ago, I had the oil changed. I noticed one day last week that it looked like black smoke was coming through the vents on the dashboard of my car, so I turned the air conditioner off. The smoke went away. Now, this car is not driven very often, and a few days ago, I wanted to check all the fluid levels in the car, and I notice that I was a quart low on oil. There is no sign of a leak under the car, so were Kidd this oil go since I just had an oil change done last week. I really need an answer. Is this worth fixing or should this car be considered a lost cause. I am not going to spend a grand on a 9 year old car that has already has its transmission replaced. Please help.