Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Leather

mr_grimmmr_grimm Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Honda
First time owning a car with leather...

I want to clean all of the leather surfaces but not sure where all of it is.

On the 2008 Honda Accord EX-L A/T, I know the front of all of the seats are leather. Also the steering wheel.

However...

What about the sides of the seats? Or the top of the arm rest? Or anywhere on the door? Some of that feels like leather, but I'm not exactly sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I believe the parts of the seat your body touches are leather. The sides, and at least part of the back, are not. I think the armrest and door panels are also leather. If a cleaner will not harm the leather, it will usually not do any harm to the vinyl either. So it's cleaning and protecting the leather, that can be a challenge. In the Honda owner's manual, they suggest using "Saddle Soap" to clean the leather, and I find it works great. Some people swear by "Lexol" leather cleaner, but I haven't tried it. I have tried every other so called "Cleaner Conditioner" sold a parts stores, and they were not very good at cleaning. Saddle Soap will clean the leather very well, but you may want to apply some type of conditioner afterwards. I haven't used a conditioner, because they make the leather shine, and slippery. I got the saddle soap from the local feed store ($5 for a can that will last forever).
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Lexol Conditioner will work very well, softens, and makes the leather more durable. Also, huge factor for us as well, was the shine when applying it, This product had very minimal shine, at first it was, but it goes right back to normal supple leather look, which I like, no shine.
  • sttkailuasttkailua Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 v-6 sedan with leather.

After reading these posts and others, most users recommend Lexol or saddle soap. I did research and ended up buying a product called Leatherique(leatherique.com). Had to find a local outlet that sells this. Bought mine on amazon(shipping killed me!). Used by a lot of vintage car clubs.
    Just did the car today. You can tell if panels are leather or vinyl by feel/appearance. I agree with the other post that generally, if it contacts your body, it is generally leather.
    Seat front/sides/headrest are leather, the back panel/pocket are vinyl. The door panels, I believe, are all vinyl. If you press in, it feels like foam-backed vinyl. The center armrest is leather, as well as the steering wheel. Anyway, I don't think using leather cleaner on vinyl would hurt.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for this thread guys. I own a 2004 Honda Accord EX, a 2007 Honda Accord EX (Wife's car), and my dad has a 2007 Honda CR-V EX. All have leather so I'll take some of the advice on these forums. I forgot what I used last time around to clean the leather. I cleaned all the cars in July. I'll post once I remember.
This discussion has been closed.