Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4 Cylinder or V6 Ford Escape?

mancini51mancini51 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Ford
Hi,

I plan to order a 2009 escape soon. I currently drive a 2006 xlt awd escape. I've read that the new 2.5 4 cyl is much improved, close to the current v6 in performance. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    though current V6 is no drag racer. I think that the 2.5L with 170 HP AND the 6 speed trans will give you similar performance for better fuel econ.

Incidently IMHO the current cost of gas has made 0 to 60 times irrelevant anyway.

Mark.
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    I drove an 09 Merc Mariner yesterday, and a 09 Escape today, both I4's. Very peppy. Revs a bit to take off quick, but digs in and goes. and I averaged about 22mpg with just city driving for the test drives, and that was getting on it pretty good, and with A/C on. (I bought the Escape version because Mariner doesn't come in Sport Blue.)
  • mancini51mancini51 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, thanks for the info. I've ordered a 4cyl 09 escape.
    Cool - how long did your dealer tell you it would be?

I wanted an AWD I4, blue with leather interior, none available yet, so ordered yesterday. Was told will take 6-8 weeks. (This is presuming the hybrid 09 Escape they ordered for me isn't coming by then, in which case I'll take that, and they'll sell the blue one.)

===================================================
    Replying to: baraboodad (Aug 08, 2008 5:17 pm)

Hey, thanks for the info. I've ordered a 4cyl 09 escape.
  • mancini51mancini51 Member Posts: 3
    They couldn't tell me. I ordered a silver AWD I4, leather, roof, NAV.
    Wouldn't it be nice if it was like a Dell or UPS? Paste in your tracking # and follow the progress on a web page!

Give them a few years....
  • johnnyvegasjohnnyvegas Member Posts: 8
    I see ton's on dealer lots here in Southern California. have never owned a Ford, heck never owned an american car (Honda/Bmw/Toyota/Lexus) but have driven several as I get a new company car every two years. I just ordered and received the 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD with V6 and 6 speed trans. It is charcoal gray (They call it black pearl) and has the dark charcoal interior. A co-worker has a 2006 and it was loud, bouncy and gutless. Even witht he V6. This new one is MUCH BETTER. Much more impressive. It has nice shifting, smooth power and the suspension seems much improved. I expect it will soften and get crappy as I rack up the miles, but for now, it's nice. I would never own a Ford or Chevy mainly because of the resale value and maintenance costs, compared to imports is sooooo bad, but if you like these, for now it seems a good choice, bad investment. MSRP 28950??? No way. My company paid $19850 delivered. We ordered it direct from Ford in June and it arrived 9/12. They closed the plant for 3 weeks from the 4th of July holiday. I have 1020 miles on it in 9 days of driving.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    not sure why you posted the same thing i 3 discussions, but tell me about the maintenance concerns.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • johnnyvegasjohnnyvegas Member Posts: 8
    explorerx4 The reason I posted in more than 1 is that I do not think everyone reads each column. Also they are all a bit different. As for the maintenance concerns, heck it's a Ford. Thats why I am concerned. Ford historically is bad. That's why it and GM and Chrysler are dieing. Toyota and Honda are thriving.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    i'm not going to agree with you on why the domestic 3 are in trouble.
    we have an '04 escape. it has been a pretty good vehicle.
    the only major repair(half shaft replacement) was, i believe, dealer induced.
    i bring it for service to a different dealer now.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
This discussion has been closed.